Force has no place where there is need of skill. -- Herodotus

arts / rec.arts.tv / What Did You Watch? 2023-10-22 (Monday)

SubjectAuthor
* What Did You Watch? 2023-10-22 (Monday)Ubiquitous
+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-22 (Monday)Ian J. Ball
|+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-22 (Monday)shawn
||`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-22 (Monday)Arthur Lipscomb
|| +* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-22 (Monday)BTR1701
|| |+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-22 (Monday)Ubiquitous
|| |`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-22 (Monday)Arthur Lipscomb
|| | `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-22 (Monday)BTR1701
|| |  `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-22 (Monday)Arthur Lipscomb
|| +- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-22 (Sunday)Ubiquitous
|| `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-22 (Monday)anim8rfsk
||  `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-22 (Monday)A Friend
||   `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-22 (Monday)anim8rfsk
|`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-22 (Sunday)Ian J. Ball
+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-22 (Monday)anim8rfsk
|`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-22 (Monday)anim8rfsk
| +* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-22 (Monday)Ian J. Ball
| |`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-22 (Monday)anim8rfsk
| | `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-22 (Monday)Arthur Lipscomb
| |  +* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-22 (Monday)shawn
| |  |`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-22 (Monday)shawn
| |  | `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-22 (Monday)Arthur Lipscomb
| |  `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-22 (Monday)anim8rfsk
| `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-22 (Sunday)Ubiquitous
|  `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-22 (Sunday)anim8rfsk
|   `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-22 (Sunday)shawn
|    `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-22 (Sunday)anim8rfsk
|     `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-22 (Sunday)shawn
|      `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-22 (Sunday)anim8rfsk
|       `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-22 (Sunday)Nyssa
|        +* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-22 (Sunday)Arthur Lipscomb
|        |`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-22 (Sunday)anim8rfsk
|        `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-22 (Sunday)anim8rfsk
|         `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-22 (Sunday)Nyssa
`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-22 (Monday)Bering Sea Bar & Brig

Pages:12
What Did You Watch? 2023-10-22 (Monday)

<UBI20231022@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=206661&group=rec.arts.tv#206661

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-22 (Monday)
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 4:30:40 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 08:30 UTC

I watched:

WE ARE THE 80'S

WE ARE THE 80'S

WE ARE THE 80'S

HOW THE UNIVERSE WORKS:
Several eps.

KRAPOPOLIS:
"12 Angry Goat Herders". Tyrannis creates a court system in order to absolve
Shlub of a goat-eating crime he didn't commit. Meanwhile, Hippocampus creates
a sprinkler system for Killass in order to get back at Deliria.

FAMILY GUY:
"A Stache From the Past". When Peter loses the family home in a reverse
mortgage, he confronts the man advertising the scheme, Tom Selleck.
Meanwhile, Stewie and Brian open a booth at the flea market, leading to a
rivalry with Bruce.

What did you watch?

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-22 (Monday)

<uh5sfj$35f87$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=206672&group=rec.arts.tv#206672

From: ijb...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-22 (Monday)
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 06:29:23 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 13:29 UTC

On 10/23/23 1:30 AM, Ubiquitous wrote:

> What did you watch?

I binged movies on Saturday, so I could try and get stuff done on
Sunday, so yesterday I didn't get through much...:

NFL football - This was snake eyes all around!
In the morning game, the hapless Chicago Bears *easily* dispatched
the apparently even-more-hapless Raiders!
In the afternoon game, of course the Chargers choked against the
Chiefs... >:/
In the evening game, the Dolphins could not manage to beat the Eagles.
The MNF game, tonight, is the 49ers vs the Vikings.

soaps: Fri's ep's.
DOOL - More nonsense with Xander's custody case against Sarah - at
the point, I am hoping something really bad happens to the guy. Idiot
Alex agrees to allow NuTheresa to move in with him (fool!). Kayla
whines, and tells Steve and Roman that Dmitri and Leo escaped (on her
watch!).
GH - Laura tries to get Charlotte to confess her sins... but
ultimately fails. Esme tries to sandbag Spencer on a hospital visit (we
know it's because she's jealous of Trina), and Dr. Kevin offers
absolutely no support or helpful advice at all. :/ At first, it seems
like Alexis overplayed her hand with the "gotcha!" interview with Drew's
judge, but in the end it may have paid off. Drew has to go back to the
clink from the hospital. Diane gives Robert Scorpio one last chance in
the form of a final challenge.

The Neighbors Are Watching (Lifetime) - This was OK. I kind of liked how
it was a kind of sneaky entry into the "Unlikeable Heroine" sub-genre of
Lifetime flicks - but Kabby Border's character wasn't so much
"unlikeable" as much as she was *dumb*, handling this escalating
situation in ill-conceived and impulsive ways that just made her look
guilty and insane!
However, I was disappointed that they went with the least
imaginative, most-obvious explanation/perp (motivation) possible - I was
hoping for some kind of twist here, that the real estate agent and the
neighbors were working some kind of scam to drive some neighbors out of
their houses in order to keep "flipping" houses for profit. But no such
luck... :|

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-22 (Monday)

<644453064.719761391.971196.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=206675&group=rec.arts.tv#206675

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 06:57:01 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 13:57 UTC

Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
> I watched:
>

> What did you watch?

LOST IN AUSTIN (2008 on the Peacock and the BritBox)
Jemima Cooper from HEX goes back in time and sideways in dimensions and
trades places with the lead character from Pride and Prejudice. Wackiness
ensues.
Also featuring Christina Cole also from HEX. Together again for the first
time!
If this description makes you think you might enjoy this then you’re
probably right.
Also, featuring the musical character signature theme that would be used
for the impossibly cute Clara Oswin Oswald a couple years later.

Having given up letting YouTube run overnight for background noise, I
switched over to THE AVENGERS (Steed and Peel) reruns from the Prime.

> --
> Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-22 (Monday)

<493djidkfrfpletk4907n8mh43c5q6nurf@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=206682&group=rec.arts.tv#206682

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 11:13:47 -0400
 by: shawn - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 15:13 UTC

On Mon, 23 Oct 2023 06:29:23 -0700, "Ian J. Ball" <ijball@mac.invalid>
wrote:

>On 10/23/23 1:30 AM, Ubiquitous wrote:
>
>> What did you watch?
>
>I binged movies on Saturday, so I could try and get stuff done on
>Sunday, so yesterday I didn't get through much...:
>
>NFL football - This was snake eyes all around!
> In the morning game, the hapless Chicago Bears *easily* dispatched
>the apparently even-more-hapless Raiders!
> In the afternoon game, of course the Chargers choked against the
>Chiefs... >:/
> In the evening game, the Dolphins could not manage to beat the Eagles.
> The MNF game, tonight, is the 49ers vs the Vikings.

I watched much of the Atlanta/Tampa Bay game and was happy to see the
Falcons pull one out.

Then in the evening I only got in some Big Brother time as my stomach
decided to do a number on me and kept awake throughout the night.

What did you watch?

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-22 (Monday)

<uh66fj$38bhg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=206687&group=rec.arts.tv#206687

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 09:20:00 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 16:20 UTC

On 10/23/2023 8:13 AM, shawn wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Oct 2023 06:29:23 -0700, "Ian J. Ball" <ijball@mac.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> On 10/23/23 1:30 AM, Ubiquitous wrote:
>>
>>> What did you watch?
>>
>> I binged movies on Saturday, so I could try and get stuff done on
>> Sunday, so yesterday I didn't get through much...:
>>
>> NFL football - This was snake eyes all around!
>> In the morning game, the hapless Chicago Bears *easily* dispatched
>> the apparently even-more-hapless Raiders!
>> In the afternoon game, of course the Chargers choked against the
>> Chiefs... >:/
>> In the evening game, the Dolphins could not manage to beat the Eagles.
>> The MNF game, tonight, is the 49ers vs the Vikings.
>
> I watched much of the Atlanta/Tampa Bay game and was happy to see the
> Falcons pull one out.
>
> Then in the evening I only got in some Big Brother time as my stomach
> decided to do a number on me and kept awake throughout the night.
>
> What did you watch?

Looks like the group is up and running again. I haven't been able to
post or even download new messages for a couple of days. Although I
spent the weekend at a local horror convention so I didn't watch much
anyway. This is a multi-day catch up including reposting from Friday:

I watched:

Chucky - "Jennifer's Body" - Episode 3 continues the theme of each
episode being titled after a movie. This episode focuses on Jennifer
Tilly's murder trial. Or rather Tiffany, who stole Jennifer Tilly's
body years ago. But everyone thinks Oscar winning actress Jennifer
Tilly has become a murderer. Meanwhile Chucky is out on a killing spree
with Lexy's little sister and it turns out she's just as evil as Chucky!
However their scheme to murder her 1st grade teacher is put on hold
when Chucky gets sick and has to see an evil doctor or is that doctor
for evil people? Either way it leads to this conversation:

Evil Doctor: Mr. Ray, have you been dabbling in any other religions?
Chucky: ...Well, they did try to do an exorcism on me last year...
Evil Doctor: Mr. Ray, you've been infected with Catholicism.

Elvira: Mistress of the Dark (Amazon streaming) 1988 horror comedy
starring Elvira: Mistress of the Dark. Elvira is in desperate need for
money and takes it very well when she learns a great aunt she never
heard of before dies. She shows up hoping to collect a large
inheritance and gets a dog, run down old house, and recipe book instead.
She also got an evil great uncle who wants that book because it's got
more than recipes in it. I think I saw this once when it first came
out, didn't care for it and never looked back. But I'm going to get to
meet Elvira: Mistress of the Dark [Saturday] and thought maybe I should
watch her movie first. I also watched a few minutes of the sequel,
"Elvira's Haunted Hills" but the two streaming channels I tried both had
it in the wrong aspect ratio and I was tired to keep searching to see if
anyone had it in the proper aspect ratio.

Creepshow - "The Hat" - Season 4, episode 2. A struggling writer with
writer's block is given a magical hat that when he wears it he is able
to write best selling books nonstop. But this is Creepshow so there is
a price to pay. Very predictable and derivative. But otherwise, I
guess it was OK.

"Grieving Process" - The second half of episode 2. I already forgot
what this one was about! I have *No* memory of what happened! LOL

SNL - Rapper Bad Bunny hosts and was musical guest. I was only vaguely
aware he existed. Interestingly he doesn't really speak much English,
but the showed played into that heavily with a lot of the sketches just
being in Spanish or Spanglish. But it worked. Some of the sketches
that were in Spanish, they didn't even bother to fully translate, but I
was still able to follow along and they were funny.

Fast Times at Ridgemont High (TCM) 1982 high school comedy with an all
star cast set to pop hits of the era. I'm sure I watched this once
before off of cable, but had no real memory of it while watching. I
guess it was OK.

Billions - "Axe Global" - I think this might have been the penultimate
episode. Definitely lots of stuff happened with the plot moving
forward. But that's what happens when they finally put Axe back on the
show.

As an aside, I went to a local horror convention over the weekend. Not
much to say about it. Elvira: Mistress of the Dark, I mean Cassandra
Peterson was there. She has some seriously hardcore fans! I'm just a
casual fan at best. Unfortunately she didn't do a panel. It really
annoys me how some of the big name draws keep coming to this particular
convention, then won't do a panel.

Billy Zane was also there. He was probably the next biggest name. He
did a very entertaining panel. He said his favorite character is
"Zorro" and he used to sign his name with a fancy "Z" when he was a kid.
He would love to play Zorro in a movie. He also talked about the
making of "The Phantom" and how it was all done practically including a
scene with him fighting a real lion that was cut from the movie. He
said the scene with him and the tiger really happened and he was really
in danger. He said all of his chewing the scenery in Demon Knight was
not in the script. Nor were the jokes. But the director just let him
do whatever he wanted and improv his scenes. He said his going over the
top in Demon Knight and Treat Williams hamming it up in The Phantom was
pure actor choice and actors will always go as over the top as possible
unless the director reigns them in. But if the director lets them get
away with it the actor will just have at it.

During Billy's panel his cellphone rang, he apologized looked at the
phone and said it's his sister calling. He *briefly* answered the call,
said he was at a panel, then made a comment to her that she was asked to
be at the convention. This got me thinking, who is his sister. I
pulled up his wiki page on my phone and it doesn't even list a sister.
I kept digging and found Lisa Zane is his sister. She starred in "A
Nightmare on Elm Street 6." Then it all clicked of course they asked
her to attend as well. They could have done a panel together! And she
would have had a huge draw for autographs too. Now I'm wondering why
didn't she attend. There was a bit of snark in his comment that I'm
guessing she's at home bored calling her brother when she could have
been meeting fans at a convention.

The guy who played Ghostface in the last Scream movie was there. He did
a panel and said he was explicitly told *not* to try to mirror the
acting or movement of the actor(s) who would later be revealed to be
Ghostface at the end of the movie. The producers wanted Ghostface to be
a blank slate so it could be anyone. Personally, I think that was a
cheat. And it never really occurred to me that there was an actor
playing Ghostface in these movies other than the main cast person(s).

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-22 (Monday)

<b65b83ac-a07f-4b1a-bd85-4d706366a83fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=206698&group=rec.arts.tv#206698

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 11:04:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: jgrov...@hotmail.com (Bering Sea Bar & Brig)
 by: Bering Sea Bar & - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 18:04 UTC

On Monday, October 23, 2023 at 5:59:15 AM UTC-5, Ubiquitous wrote:
> I watched:
>
> WE ARE THE 80'S
>
> WE ARE THE 80'S
>
> WE ARE THE 80'S
>
> HOW THE UNIVERSE WORKS:
> Several eps.
>
> KRAPOPOLIS:
> "12 Angry Goat Herders". Tyrannis creates a court system in order to absolve
> Shlub of a goat-eating crime he didn't commit. Meanwhile, Hippocampus creates
> a sprinkler system for Killass in order to get back at Deliria.
>
> FAMILY GUY:
> "A Stache From the Past". When Peter loses the family home in a reverse
> mortgage, he confronts the man advertising the scheme, Tom Selleck.
> Meanwhile, Stewie and Brian open a booth at the flea market, leading to a
> rivalry with Bruce.

A Cartoon ? That explains much.
I cleared some DVR Rockford, Taxi, and segments of hisStory second run ota dtv documentaries. Enjoying my Zero cable subscription spending and getting A&E, discovery, History stuff in DVR format for ad skipping.

> What did you watch?
>
> --
> Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-22 (Monday)

<Js2cnWMo8KtaTqv4nZ2dnZfqnPednZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=206707&group=rec.arts.tv#206707

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 20:12:55 +0000
 by: BTR1701 - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 20:12 UTC

On Oct 23, 2023 at 9:20:00 AM PDT, "Arthur Lipscomb"
<arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

> The guy who played Ghostface in the last Scream movie was there. He did
> a panel and said he was explicitly told *not* to try to mirror the
> acting or movement of the actor(s) who would later be revealed to be
> Ghostface at the end of the movie. The producers wanted Ghostface to be
> a blank slate so it could be anyone. Personally, I think that was a
> cheat. And it never really occurred to me that there was an actor
> playing Ghostface in these movies other than the main cast person(s).

Oh, I always assumed it was just some no-name stunt actor in the costume most
of the time and the only time they'd bother putting the actor in it was in
scenes where the mask came off.

Speaking of, Ghostface is lending his services to our Halloween display this
year. I got one of the weathered masks from the most recent film and picked up
an old mannequin down in the garment district for $30:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/u569bn9xjr4tm73zie8f7/Halloween1.png?rlkey=l20avbggfcnmpa4bxgjzsqcip&dl=0

I even put the cat to work enhancing the look. About time she did something
useful for the household!

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/emo96gx67z681yhxxuknw/Halloween2.png?rlkey=e4bfeyhbgqzz3w5x51qpulp9a&dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/h4yayb7if22lz27hx1nmq/MidsHalloween.png?rlkey=l9goy71lq4b4unmqnj46pu5qn&dl=0

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-22 (Sunday)

<uh89n0$3rf3m$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=206789&group=rec.arts.tv#206789

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-22 (Sunday)
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 4:30:42 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Tue, 24 Oct 2023 08:30 UTC

arthur@alum.calberkeley.org wrote:
> On 10/23/2023 8:13 AM, shawn wrote:

>>> I binged movies on Saturday, so I could try and get stuff done on
>>> Sunday, so yesterday I didn't get through much...:
>>>
>>> NFL football - This was snake eyes all around!
>>> In the morning game, the hapless Chicago Bears *easily* dispatched
>>> the apparently even-more-hapless Raiders!
>>> In the afternoon game, of course the Chargers choked against the
>>> Chiefs... >:/
>>> In the evening game, the Dolphins could not manage to beat the Eagles.
>>> The MNF game, tonight, is the 49ers vs the Vikings.
>>
>> I watched much of the Atlanta/Tampa Bay game and was happy to see the
>> Falcons pull one out.
>>
>> Then in the evening I only got in some Big Brother time as my stomach
>> decided to do a number on me and kept awake throughout the night.
>>
>> What did you watch?
>
>Looks like the group is up and running again. I haven't been able to
>post or even download new messages for a couple of days. Although I
>spent the weekend at a local horror convention so I didn't watch much
>anyway. This is a multi-day catch up including reposting from Friday:

It's been off and on all weekend.

>I watched:
>
>Elvira: Mistress of the Dark (Amazon streaming) 1988 horror comedy
>starring Elvira: Mistress of the Dark. Elvira is in desperate need for
>money and takes it very well when she learns a great aunt she never
>heard of before dies. She shows up hoping to collect a large
>inheritance and gets a dog, run down old house, and recipe book instead.
> She also got an evil great uncle who wants that book because it's got
>more than recipes in it. I think I saw this once when it first came
>out, didn't care for it and never looked back. But I'm going to get to
>meet Elvira: Mistress of the Dark [Saturday] and thought maybe I should
>watch her movie first. I also watched a few minutes of the sequel,
>"Elvira's Haunted Hills" but the two streaming channels I tried both had
>it in the wrong aspect ratio and I was tired to keep searching to see if
>anyone had it in the proper aspect ratio.

ShoutFactory was playing her shows over the weekend, including one I had
never seen before! Unfortunately, I was meeting a friend at a local
Oktoberfest event and coujldn't watch it.

>SNL - Rapper Bad Bunny hosts and was musical guest. I was only vaguely
>aware he existed. Interestingly he doesn't really speak much English,
>but the showed played into that heavily with a lot of the sketches just
>being in Spanish or Spanglish. But it worked. Some of the sketches
>that were in Spanish, they didn't even bother to fully translate, but I
>was still able to follow along and they were funny.

How sad that

>As an aside, I went to a local horror convention over the weekend. Not
>much to say about it. Elvira: Mistress of the Dark, I mean Cassandra
>Peterson was there. She has some seriously hardcore fans! I'm just a
>casual fan at best. Unfortunately she didn't do a panel. It really
>annoys me how some of the big name draws keep coming to this particular
>convention, then won't do a panel.
>
>Billy Zane was also there. He was probably the next biggest name. He
>did a very entertaining panel. He said his favorite character is
>"Zorro" and he used to sign his name with a fancy "Z" when he was a kid.
>He would love to play Zorro in a movie. He also talked about the
>making of "The Phantom" and how it was all done practically including a
>scene with him fighting a real lion that was cut from the movie. He
>said the scene with him and the tiger really happened and he was really
>in danger. He said all of his chewing the scenery in Demon Knight was
>not in the script. Nor were the jokes. But the director just let him
>do whatever he wanted and improv his scenes. He said his going over the
>top in Demon Knight and Treat Williams hamming it up in The Phantom was
>pure actor choice and actors will always go as over the top as possible
>unless the director reigns them in. But if the director lets them get
>away with it the actor will just have at it.

I liked him in TWIN PEAKS, not so much on CHARMED.

>The guy who played Ghostface in the last Scream movie was there. He did
>a panel and said he was explicitly told *not* to try to mirror the
>acting or movement of the actor(s) who would later be revealed to be
>Ghostface at the end of the movie.

Strange directing... though i see what he wanted.

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-22 (Monday)

<uh8anl$3rugd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=206790&group=rec.arts.tv#206790

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 4:30:43 -0400

atropos@mac.com wrote:
> "Arthur Lipscomb" <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>> The guy who played Ghostface in the last Scream movie was there. He did
>> a panel and said he was explicitly told *not* to try to mirror the
>> acting or movement of the actor(s) who would later be revealed to be
>> Ghostface at the end of the movie. The producers wanted Ghostface to be
>> a blank slate so it could be anyone. Personally, I think that was a
>> cheat. And it never really occurred to me that there was an actor
>> playing Ghostface in these movies other than the main cast person(s).
>
>Oh, I always assumed it was just some no-name stunt actor in the costume
>most of the time and the only time they'd bother putting the actor in it
>was in scenes where the mask came off.

Have they made a joke about Ghostface looking nothing like the actor assigned
the role?

>Speaking of, Ghostface is lending his services to our Halloween display this
>year. I got one of the weathered masks from the most recent film and picked
>up an old mannequin down in the garment district for $30:
>
>https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/u569bn9xjr4tm73zie8f7/Halloween1.png
>
>I even put the cat to work enhancing the look. About time she did something
>useful for the household!
>
>https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/emo96gx67z681yhxxuknw/Halloween2.png
>https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/h4yayb7if22lz27hx1nmq/MidsHalloween.png

I am surpirsed she didn't knock the mannequin over.

Not as scary as having a pitbull in the window, tho.

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-22 (Monday)

<atropos-320301.09412924102023@news.giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=206807&group=rec.arts.tv#206807

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 09:41:29 -0700
 by: BTR1701 - Tue, 24 Oct 2023 16:41 UTC

In article <uh8anl$3rugd$1@dont-email.me>,
Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:

> atropos@mac.com wrote:
> > "Arthur Lipscomb" <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
>
> >> The guy who played Ghostface in the last Scream movie was there. He did
> >> a panel and said he was explicitly told *not* to try to mirror the
> >> acting or movement of the actor(s) who would later be revealed to be
> >> Ghostface at the end of the movie. The producers wanted Ghostface to be
> >> a blank slate so it could be anyone. Personally, I think that was a
> >> cheat. And it never really occurred to me that there was an actor
> >> playing Ghostface in these movies other than the main cast person(s).
> >
> >Oh, I always assumed it was just some no-name stunt actor in the costume
> >most of the time and the only time they'd bother putting the actor in it
> >was in scenes where the mask came off.
>
> Have they made a joke about Ghostface looking nothing like the actor assigned
> the role?
>
> >Speaking of, Ghostface is lending his services to our Halloween display this
> >year. I got one of the weathered masks from the most recent film and picked
> >up an old mannequin down in the garment district for $30:
> >
> >https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/u569bn9xjr4tm73zie8f7/Halloween1.png
> >
> >I even put the cat to work enhancing the look. About time she did something
> >useful for the household!
> >
> >https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/emo96gx67z681yhxxuknw/Halloween2.png
> >https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/h4yayb7if22lz27hx1nmq/MidsHalloween.png
>
> I am surpirsed she didn't knock the mannequin over.

She's very good about not disrupting anything she crawls around. She
gets up on the desk and the bookshelves all the time and has yet to
knock anything down.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-22 (Monday)

<1179157254.719871155.219984.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=206819&group=rec.arts.tv#206819

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 13:33:14 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Tue, 24 Oct 2023 20:33 UTC

anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
>> I watched:
>>

>> What did you watch?
>
> LOST IN AUSTIN (2008 on the Peacock and the BritBox)
> Jemima Cooper from HEX goes back in time and sideways in dimensions and
> trades places with the lead character from Pride and Prejudice. Wackiness
> ensues.
> Also featuring Christina Cole also from HEX. Together again for the first
> time!
> If this description makes you think you might enjoy this then you’re
> probably right.
> Also, featuring the musical character signature theme that would be used
> for the impossibly cute Clara Oswin Oswald a couple years later.
>
> Having given up letting YouTube run overnight for background noise, I
> switched over to THE AVENGERS (Steed and Peel) reruns from the Prime.

Also, some DVR clearing.

GOKE, BODY SNATCHER FROM HELL.
More Halloween “fun“ from TCM.
Japanese 1968 horror/monster movie. For reasons that have nothing to do
with the rest of the plot an airliner is forced down (as it turns out, they
were only a short walk from a major highway but nobody noticed).
Simultaneously a bunch of aliens are trying to destroy, the human race for
their own evil purposes. They take over people who get a big gash in their
forehead from which silvery goop runs out. The whole thing is
incomprehensible and at the end (somewhat refreshingly) the invaders win
and everybody on earth dies so who cared what happened to these people in
this crashed airliner?

THE MYSTERIOUS ISLAND (1929) on TCM.
Semi silent version, hosted by a nitwit who had not only never seen this
movie, but quite possibly had never seen any other movie ever made. It has
nothing to do with the novel, except for one character’s last name, and the
fact that he calls his island, mysterious for no particular reason.

OFFICE RACE
A completely unfunny slob movie that I stopped watching five minutes in
when Allison Hannigan showed up and they were bleeping her dialogue.

>> --
>> Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-22 (Monday)

<1116873462.719871822.109106.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=206820&group=rec.arts.tv#206820

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 13:33:14 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Tue, 24 Oct 2023 20:33 UTC

Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
> On 10/23/2023 8:13 AM, shawn wrote:
>> On Mon, 23 Oct 2023 06:29:23 -0700, "Ian J. Ball" <ijball@mac.invalid>
>> wrote:

> Fast Times at Ridgemont High (TCM) 1982 high school comedy with an all
> star cast set to pop hits of the era. I'm sure I watched this once
> before off of cable, but had no real memory of it while watching. I
> guess it was OK.

The whole point of FAST TIMES is Phoebe Cates, naked by the pool. The rest
of the movie you can pretty much spend the cleaning the kitchen.

> Billy Zane was also there.

Zane! The Zanester! The Zamia’s! I love me some Billy Z!

He was probably the next biggest name. He
> did a very entertaining panel. He said his favorite character is
> "Zorro" and he used to sign his name with a fancy "Z" when he was a kid.

Cool

> He would love to play Zorro in a movie. He also talked about the
> making of "The Phantom" and how it was all done practically including a
> scene with him fighting a real lion that was cut from the movie. He
> said the scene with him and the tiger really happened and he was really
> in danger.

Yikes.

I like everything in that movie, except for the outside of the skull cave,
which I wanted to look more like the skull rock at Disneyland. All in all
I’d say that’s a pretty good endorsement.

He said all of his chewing the scenery in Demon Knight was
> not in the script. Nor were the jokes. But the director just let him
> do whatever he wanted and improv his scenes. He said his going over the
> top in Demon Knight and Treat Williams hamming it up in The Phantom was
> pure actor choice and actors will always go as over the top as possible
> unless the director reigns them in. But if the director lets them get
> away with it the actor will just have at it.
>
> During Billy's panel his cellphone rang, he apologized looked at the
> phone and said it's his sister calling. He *briefly* answered the call,
> said he was at a panel, then made a comment to her that she was asked to
> be at the convention. This got me thinking, who is his sister. I
> pulled up his wiki page on my phone and it doesn't even list a sister.
> I kept digging and found Lisa Zane is his sister.

I have read, authoritatively, at different times, that Lisa is his sister,
that Lisa is his wife, that Lisa is his ex-wife, and that Lisa is no
relation whatsoever.

She starred in "A
> Nightmare on Elm Street 6." Then it all clicked of course they asked
> her to attend as well. They could have done a panel together! And she
> would have had a huge draw for autographs too. Now I'm wondering why
> didn't she attend.

Maybe they’ve never even met.

There was a bit of snark in his comment that I'm
> guessing she's at home bored calling her brother when she could have
> been meeting fans at a convention.

Lol

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-22 (Monday)

<uh9a9r$5ri4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=206822&group=rec.arts.tv#206822

From: ijb...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 13:43:39 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Tue, 24 Oct 2023 20:43 UTC

On 10/24/23 1:33 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:

> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote: >> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
>>
>>> I watched:
>>>
>>> What did you watch?
>>
>> LOST IN AUSTIN (2008 on the Peacock and the BritBox)
>> Jemima Cooper from HEX goes back in time and sideways in dimensions and
>> trades places with the lead character from Pride and Prejudice. Wackiness
>> ensues.
>> Also featuring Christina Cole also from HEX. Together again for the first
>> time!
>> If this description makes you think you might enjoy this then you’re
>> probably right.
>> Also, featuring the musical character signature theme that would be used
>> for the impossibly cute Clara Oswin Oswald a couple years later.
>>
>> Having given up letting YouTube run overnight for background noise, I
>> switched over to THE AVENGERS (Steed and Peel) reruns from the Prime.
>
> Also, some DVR clearing.
>
> GOKE, BODY SNATCHER FROM HELL.
> More Halloween “fun“ from TCM.
>
> THE MYSTERIOUS ISLAND (1929) on TCM.
>
> OFFICE RACE
> A completely unfunny slob movie that I stopped watching five minutes in
> when Allison Hannigan showed up and they were bleeping her dialogue.

OK, serious question here:

Have you ever seen "Slave Girls from Beyond Infinity" (from 1987!) before?!

Prime was trying to entice me into watching this today. I was totally
unfamiliar with it. But I will give them this - The trailer, which was
amusing, wasn't bad. But I suspect the trailer is way better than the
movie itself! ;)

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-22 (Monday)

<241020231719023762%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=206829&group=rec.arts.tv#206829

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 17:19:02 -0400
 by: A Friend - Tue, 24 Oct 2023 21:19 UTC

In article
<1116873462.719871822.109106.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,
anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

> I have read, authoritatively, at different times, that Lisa is [Billy
> Zane's] sister, that Lisa is his wife, that Lisa is his ex-wife, and
> that Lisa is no relation whatsoever.

Billy's wife and sister were both named Lisa, and both are actors.

Lisa Zane (born 5 Apr 1961) is Billy's (born 24 Feb 1966) older sister.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisa_Zane

Billy Zane and Lisa Collins were married from 1989 to 1995.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisa_Collins

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-22 (Monday)

<137717407.719875678.350836.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=206833&group=rec.arts.tv#206833

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 14:43:55 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Tue, 24 Oct 2023 21:43 UTC

Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:

>>> LOST IN AUSTIN (2008 on the Peacock and the BritBox)
>>> Jemima Cooper from HEX goes back in time and sideways in dimensions and
>>> trades places with the lead character from Pride and Prejudice. Wackiness
>>> ensues.
>>> Also featuring Christina Cole also from HEX. Together again for the first
>>> time!
>>> If this description makes you think you might enjoy this then you’re
>>> probably right.
>>> Also, featuring the musical character signature theme that would be used
>>> for the impossibly cute Clara Oswin Oswald a couple years later.
>>>
>>> Having given up letting YouTube run overnight for background noise, I
>>> switched over to THE AVENGERS (Steed and Peel) reruns from the Prime.
>>
>> Also, some DVR clearing.
>>
>> GOKE, BODY SNATCHER FROM HELL.
>> More Halloween “fun“ from TCM.
>>
>> THE MYSTERIOUS ISLAND (1929) on TCM.
>>
>> OFFICE RACE
>> A completely unfunny slob movie that I stopped watching five minutes in
>> when Allison Hannigan showed up and they were bleeping her dialogue.
>
> OK, serious question here:
>
> Have you ever seen "Slave Girls from Beyond Infinity" (from 1987!) before?!

Yes, but it was probably about 1990 at the latest when I saw it.

> Prime was trying to entice me into watching this today. I was totally
> unfamiliar with it. But I will give them this - The trailer, which was
> amusing, wasn't bad. But I suspect the trailer is way better than the
> movie itself! ;)

They tried to get me to watch it the last couple days as well. I haven’t
seen it in 30 years but I’m guessing you probably have it pegged pretty
well. Brinke Stevens movies tend to advertise better than they watch.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-22 (Monday)

<1776571630.719875893.712981.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=206834&group=rec.arts.tv#206834

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 14:43:56 -0700

A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:
> In article
> <1116873462.719871822.109106.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,
> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> I have read, authoritatively, at different times, that Lisa is [Billy
>> Zane's] sister, that Lisa is his wife, that Lisa is his ex-wife, and
>> that Lisa is no relation whatsoever.
>

> Billy's wife and sister were both named Lisa, and both are actors.
>

> Lisa Zane (born 5 Apr 1961) is Billy's (born 24 Feb 1966) older sister.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisa_Zane
>

> Billy Zane and Lisa Collins were married from 1989 to 1995.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisa_Collins

Yikes! Then every possible version is correct!

Lisa played “Emma Steed” in Brisco County, junior!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-22 (Sunday)

<uh9mhf$9c9q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=206850&group=rec.arts.tv#206850

From: ijb...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 17:12:31 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Wed, 25 Oct 2023 00:12 UTC

Once again, Ubi (purposely?) put the wrong day in the header - fixing it
in this follow-up for searching purposes...

On 10/23/23 6:29 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> On 10/23/23 1:30 AM, Ubiquitous wrote:
>
>> What did you watch?
>
> I binged movies on Saturday, so I could try and get stuff done on
> Sunday, so yesterday I didn't get through much...:
>
> NFL football - This was snake eyes all around!
>    In the morning game, the hapless Chicago Bears *easily* dispatched
> the apparently even-more-hapless Raiders!
>    In the afternoon game, of course the Chargers choked against the
> Chiefs...  >:/
>    In the evening game, the Dolphins could not manage to beat the Eagles.
>    The MNF game, tonight, is the 49ers vs the Vikings.
>
> soaps: Fri's ep's.
>    DOOL - More nonsense with Xander's custody case against Sarah - at
> the point, I am hoping something really bad happens to the guy. Idiot
> Alex agrees to allow NuTheresa to move in with him (fool!). Kayla
> whines, and tells Steve and Roman that Dmitri and Leo escaped (on her
> watch!).
>    GH - Laura tries to get Charlotte to confess her sins... but
> ultimately fails. Esme tries to sandbag Spencer on a hospital visit (we
> know it's because she's jealous of Trina), and Dr. Kevin offers
> absolutely no support or helpful advice at all.  :/  At first, it seems
> like Alexis overplayed her hand with the "gotcha!" interview with Drew's
> judge, but in the end it may have paid off. Drew has to go back to the
> clink from the hospital. Diane gives Robert Scorpio one last chance in
> the form of a final challenge.
>
> The Neighbors Are Watching (Lifetime) - This was OK. I kind of liked how
> it was a kind of sneaky entry into the "Unlikeable Heroine" sub-genre of
> Lifetime flicks - but Kabby Border's character wasn't so much
> "unlikeable" as much as she was *dumb*, handling this escalating
> situation in ill-conceived and impulsive ways that just made her look
> guilty and insane!
>    However, I was disappointed that they went with the least
> imaginative, most-obvious explanation/perp (motivation) possible - I was
> hoping for some kind of twist here, that the real estate agent and the
> neighbors were working some kind of scam to drive some neighbors out of
> their houses in order to keep "flipping" houses for profit. But no such
> luck...  :|

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-22 (Monday)

<uh9qdb$e80h$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=206859&group=rec.arts.tv#206859

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 07:04:03 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Tue, 24 Oct 2023 14:04 UTC

On 10/23/2023 1:12 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> On Oct 23, 2023 at 9:20:00 AM PDT, "Arthur Lipscomb"
> <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
>
>> The guy who played Ghostface in the last Scream movie was there. He did
>> a panel and said he was explicitly told *not* to try to mirror the
>> acting or movement of the actor(s) who would later be revealed to be
>> Ghostface at the end of the movie. The producers wanted Ghostface to be
>> a blank slate so it could be anyone. Personally, I think that was a
>> cheat. And it never really occurred to me that there was an actor
>> playing Ghostface in these movies other than the main cast person(s).
>
> Oh, I always assumed it was just some no-name stunt actor in the costume most
> of the time and the only time they'd bother putting the actor in it was in
> scenes where the mask came off.

And that's basically how it works. I just never gave it any thought so
it never occurred to me that's how it works. With Elm Street, everyone
knows Robert Englund is Freddy Krueger. We don't think about the
stuntman as being Freddy. And I'm pretty sure the stuntman is clearly
credited in Elm Street 5. So it's not a secret. Even when they cast a
stunt man for the horror icon role, we know the stuntman's name like a
Kane Hodder. And if they replace that stuntman, it's big news event.
When it came to the scream movies, it was no secret that the same guy
*voiced* the character across all the movies, the stunt man was never
credited. And going back to the first movie, it wasn't something I was
ever thinking about, but I probably assumed the two actors were in the
mask for the most part, and never gave it any thought across the sequels
until now when it was explicitly explained.

But a lot of this confusion was also orchestrated by the studio. The
actor said he had a strict non disclosure clause in his contract and
wasn't even allowed out of his trailer in costume. He had to get
dressed on set. And he's not in the credits. So my lack of awareness
that one specific actor was hired to play the part was not entirely my
fault. And I still have no idea who physically played the part in the
other movies. So that a stuntman was hired to be behind the mask, not a
huge surprise. That a specific stuntman was hired to *always* be behind
the mask, that came as a surprise. Unlike Friday the 13th franchise,
the studio hid that detail. I just did a spot check and pulled the
credits for Scream 5. The voice is credited, but no standalone credit
for the guy in the costume. I'm assuming that's how it is for all of the
movies.

> Speaking of, Ghostface is lending his services to our Halloween display this
> year. I got one of the weathered masks from the most recent film and picked up
> an old mannequin down in the garment district for $30:
>

> https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/u569bn9xjr4tm73zie8f7/Halloween1.png?rlkey=l20avbggfcnmpa4bxgjzsqcip&dl=0
>
> I even put the cat to work enhancing the look. About time she did something
> useful for the household!
>

> https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/emo96gx67z681yhxxuknw/Halloween2.png?rlkey=e4bfeyhbgqzz3w5x51qpulp9a&dl=0
>

> https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/h4yayb7if22lz27hx1nmq/MidsHalloween.png?rlkey=l9goy71lq4b4unmqnj46pu5qn&dl=0

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-22 (Monday)

<Tt-dndZz-rpg7aX4nZ2dnZfqn_ednZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=206862&group=rec.arts.tv#206862

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2023 01:35:57 +0000
 by: BTR1701 - Wed, 25 Oct 2023 01:35 UTC

On Oct 24, 2023 at 7:04:03 AM PDT, "Arthur Lipscomb"
<arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

> On 10/23/2023 1:12 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
>> On Oct 23, 2023 at 9:20:00 AM PDT, "Arthur Lipscomb"
>> <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
>>
>>> The guy who played Ghostface in the last Scream movie was there. He did
>>> a panel and said he was explicitly told *not* to try to mirror the
>>> acting or movement of the actor(s) who would later be revealed to be
>>> Ghostface at the end of the movie. The producers wanted Ghostface to be
>>> a blank slate so it could be anyone. Personally, I think that was a
>>> cheat. And it never really occurred to me that there was an actor
>>> playing Ghostface in these movies other than the main cast person(s).
>>
>> Oh, I always assumed it was just some no-name stunt actor in the costume
>> most
>> of the time and the only time they'd bother putting the actor in it was in
>> scenes where the mask came off.

> And that's basically how it works. I just never gave it any thought so
> it never occurred to me that's how it works. With Elm Street, everyone
> knows Robert Englund is Freddy Krueger. We don't think about the
> stuntman as being Freddy. And I'm pretty sure the stuntman is clearly
> credited in Elm Street 5. So it's not a secret. Even when they cast a
> stunt man for the horror icon role, we know the stuntman's name like a
> Kane Hodder. And if they replace that stuntman, it's big news event.
> When it came to the scream movies, it was no secret that the same guy
> *voiced* the character across all the movies, the stunt man was never
> credited. And going back to the first movie, it wasn't something I was
> ever thinking about, but I probably assumed the two actors were in the
> mask for the most part, and never gave it any thought across the sequels
> until now when it was explicitly explained.
>
> But a lot of this confusion was also orchestrated by the studio. The
> actor said he had a strict non disclosure clause in his contract and
> wasn't even allowed out of his trailer in costume. He had to get
> dressed on set. And he's not in the credits.

That's bizarre in an industry where your credits are your resume. To hire an
actor and then bind him to an NDA that prohibits him from telling anyone he
was in the movie is... unheard of.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-22 (Monday)

<uh9tc8$evi0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=206867&group=rec.arts.tv#206867

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 19:09:11 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Wed, 25 Oct 2023 02:09 UTC

On 10/24/2023 6:35 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> On Oct 24, 2023 at 7:04:03 AM PDT, "Arthur Lipscomb"
> <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
>
>> On 10/23/2023 1:12 PM, BTR1701 wrote:

>>> Oh, I always assumed it was just some no-name stunt actor in the costume
>>> most
>>> of the time and the only time they'd bother putting the actor in it was in
>>> scenes where the mask came off.
>
>> And that's basically how it works. I just never gave it any thought so
>> it never occurred to me that's how it works. With Elm Street, everyone
>> knows Robert Englund is Freddy Krueger. We don't think about the
>> stuntman as being Freddy. And I'm pretty sure the stuntman is clearly
>> credited in Elm Street 5. So it's not a secret. Even when they cast a
>> stunt man for the horror icon role, we know the stuntman's name like a
>> Kane Hodder. And if they replace that stuntman, it's big news event.
>> When it came to the scream movies, it was no secret that the same guy
>> *voiced* the character across all the movies, the stunt man was never
>> credited. And going back to the first movie, it wasn't something I was
>> ever thinking about, but I probably assumed the two actors were in the
>> mask for the most part, and never gave it any thought across the sequels
>> until now when it was explicitly explained.
>>
>> But a lot of this confusion was also orchestrated by the studio. The
>> actor said he had a strict non disclosure clause in his contract and
>> wasn't even allowed out of his trailer in costume. He had to get
>> dressed on set. And he's not in the credits.
>
> That's bizarre in an industry where your credits are your resume. To hire an
> actor and then bind him to an NDA that prohibits him from telling anyone he
> was in the movie is... unheard of.

That's why it wasn't intuitive for me. He said there were two specific
scenes in Scream 6 where the actor was in the mask and those were
because the actor specifically requested to be in the mask for those
scenes. Otherwise it was always him, but he couldn't tell anyone until
the movie hit the home video/streaming market. I'm sure the other
stuntmen from the other movies have done conventions too, but unless you
stumble across one of them in person or actively google them there's no
real way to no which stuntman from a list of stuntmen in the credits was
the person in the mask.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-22 (Monday)

<uha6p1$hcpc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=206880&group=rec.arts.tv#206880

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 21:07:49 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Wed, 25 Oct 2023 04:07 UTC

On 10/24/2023 2:43 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:

>>> Also, some DVR clearing.
>>>
>>> GOKE, BODY SNATCHER FROM HELL.
>>> More Halloween “fun“ from TCM.
>>>
>>> THE MYSTERIOUS ISLAND (1929) on TCM.
>>>
>>> OFFICE RACE
>>> A completely unfunny slob movie that I stopped watching five minutes in
>>> when Allison Hannigan showed up and they were bleeping her dialogue.
>>
>> OK, serious question here:
>>
>> Have you ever seen "Slave Girls from Beyond Infinity" (from 1987!) before?!
>>

> Yes, but it was probably about 1990 at the latest when I saw it.

I have never heard of this movie before! How did I not catch it on USA
Up All Night between Hell Comes to Frogtown and DefCon 4?

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-22 (Monday)

<l58hjihdohiqq3cfun6ri8a76088pv0b60@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=206881&group=rec.arts.tv#206881

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2023 01:05:17 -0400
 by: shawn - Wed, 25 Oct 2023 05:05 UTC

On Tue, 24 Oct 2023 21:07:49 -0700, Arthur Lipscomb
<arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>On 10/24/2023 2:43 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>> Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:

Lost In Austen - Episode 1 | Full Episode
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHK8iyqmO94

>>> OK, serious question here:
>>>
>>> Have you ever seen "Slave Girls from Beyond Infinity" (from 1987!) before?!
>>>

>> Yes, but it was probably about 1990 at the latest when I saw it.
>>

>I have never heard of this movie before! How did I not catch it on USA
>Up All Night between Hell Comes to Frogtown and DefCon 4?

You can watch it SLAVE GIRLS FROM BEYOND INFINITY in all its glory
right here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DkoPxG31GA

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-22 (Monday)

<1011373176.719903434.262789.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=206884&group=rec.arts.tv#206884

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 22:13:28 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Wed, 25 Oct 2023 05:13 UTC

Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
> On 10/24/2023 2:43 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>> Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:

>>> OK, serious question here:
>>>
>>> Have you ever seen "Slave Girls from Beyond Infinity" (from 1987!) before?!
>>>

>> Yes, but it was probably about 1990 at the latest when I saw it.
>>

> I have never heard of this movie before! How did I not catch it on USA
> Up All Night between Hell Comes to Frogtown and DefCon 4?

You might’ve been too young during its heyday.

Nobody has it in 4K, but Freevee has it in HD at least.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-22 (Monday)

<6jthjidojm07i981ifoc22a6h1t7l640dg@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=206888&group=rec.arts.tv#206888

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2023 07:10:51 -0400
 by: shawn - Wed, 25 Oct 2023 11:10 UTC

On Wed, 25 Oct 2023 01:05:17 -0400, shawn
<nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 24 Oct 2023 21:07:49 -0700, Arthur Lipscomb
><arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>Lost In Austen - Episode 1 | Full Episode
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHK8iyqmO94

>>> Yes, but it was probably about 1990 at the latest when I saw it.
>>>

>>I have never heard of this movie before! How did I not catch it on USA
>>Up All Night between Hell Comes to Frogtown and DefCon 4?
>
>You can watch it SLAVE GIRLS FROM BEYOND INFINITY in all its glory
>right here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DkoPxG31GA

I fell down on my job and didn't complete the links.

[1988] Hell.Comes.to.Frogtown
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_V5KySGiKVI

and

Def Con 4 (1985)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ozGVKYSVog

All available in 1080p. The Slave Girls movie is even available in
that Premium 1080p at some additional cost. I have no idea what the
bit rate difference is between the regular 1080p and the premium
1080p. Not sure that I ever saw this movie.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-10-22 (Monday)

<uhauge$n170$7@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=206894&group=rec.arts.tv#206894

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2023 4:30:46 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Wed, 25 Oct 2023 08:30 UTC

atropos@mac.com wrote:
> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
>> atropos@mac.com wrote:

>>> Speaking of, Ghostface is lending his services to our Halloween display this
>>> year. I got one of the weathered masks from the most recent film and picked
>>> up an old mannequin down in the garment district for $30:
>>>
>>> https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/u569bn9xjr4tm73zie8f7/Halloween1.png
>>>
>>> I even put the cat to work enhancing the look. About time she did something
>>> useful for the household!
>>>
>>> https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/emo96gx67z681yhxxuknw/Halloween2.png
>>> https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/h4yayb7if22lz27hx1nmq/MidsHalloween.png
>>
>> I am surpirsed she didn't knock the mannequin over.
>
>She's very good about not disrupting anything she crawls around. She
>gets up on the desk and the bookshelves all the time and has yet to
>knock anything down.

So is mine, unless it's feeding time...

--
Let's go Brandon!