Keep the phase, baby.

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: Bill for Ukraine aid and illegal border crossings dead in Senate

SubjectAuthor
* Bill for Ukraine aid and illegal border crossings dead in SenateAdam H. Kerman
+* Re: Bill for Ukraine aid and illegal border crossings dead in Senateshawn
|+- Re: Bill for Ukraine aid and illegal border crossings dead in SenateFPP
|+- Re: Bill for Ukraine aid and illegal border crossings dead in SenateThe Horny Goat
|`* Re: Bill for Ukraine aid and illegal border crossings dead in SenateBTR1701
| +- Re: Bill for Ukraine aid and illegal border crossings dead in SenateAdam H. Kerman
| `* Re: Bill for Ukraine aid and illegal border crossings dead in SenateFPP
|  `- Re: Bill for Ukraine aid and illegal border crossings dead in Senatetrotsky
+* Re: Bill for Ukraine aid and illegal border crossings dead in SenateIan J. Ball
|+* Re: Bill for Ukraine aid and illegal border crossings dead in SenateAdam H. Kerman
||`* Re: Bill for Ukraine aid and illegal border crossings dead in SenateBTR1701
|| +* Re: Bill for Ukraine aid and illegal border crossings dead in SenateAdam H. Kerman
|| |`* Re: Bill for Ukraine aid and illegal border crossings dead in SenateBTR1701
|| | `- Re: Bill for Ukraine aid and illegal border crossings dead in Senatetrotsky
|| +* Re: Bill for Ukraine aid and illegal border crossings dead in SenateThe Horny Goat
|| |+- Re: Bill for Ukraine aid and illegal border crossings dead in SenateAdam H. Kerman
|| |`- Re: Bill for Ukraine aid and illegal border crossings dead in SenateFPP
|| `- Re: Bill for Ukraine aid and illegal border crossings dead in Senatetrotsky
|`* Re: Bill for Ukraine aid and illegal border crossings dead in SenateDimensional Traveler
| `* Re: Bill for Ukraine aid and illegal border crossings dead in Senatesuzeeq
|  +- Re: Bill for Ukraine aid and illegal border crossings dead in SenatemoviePig
|  `* Re: Bill for Ukraine aid and illegal border crossings dead in SenateDimensional Traveler
|   `* Re: Bill for Ukraine aid and illegal border crossings dead in Senatesuzeeq
|    `- Re: Bill for Ukraine aid and illegal border crossings dead in SenateFPP
+* Re: Bill for Ukraine aid and illegal border crossings dead in SenateDimensional Traveler
|`* Re: Bill for Ukraine aid and illegal border crossings dead in SenateThe Horny Goat
| +- Re: Bill for Ukraine aid and illegal border crossings dead in SenateAdam H. Kerman
| `- Re: Bill for Ukraine aid and illegal border crossings dead in SenateFPP
`- Re: Bill for Ukraine aid and illegal border crossings dead in SenateUbiquitous

Pages:12
Bill for Ukraine aid and illegal border crossings dead in Senate

<uprt63$gq24$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=215545&group=rec.arts.tv#215545

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Bill for Ukraine aid and illegal border crossings dead in Senate
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 00:06:27 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 00:06 UTC

The bill being negotiated on border security combined with aid to
Ukraine between McConnell and Schumer is dead. Republican Senators have
withdrawn their support.

Ukraine is going to be overrun by Putin's forces. This is a disaster.

I'm really pissed about this because it sounds like they came up with
the right way to handle the influx of asylum seekers, letting them work
and holding their hearings within months and not years. In the meantime,
they aren't sleeping in shelters but working and paying for their own
housing.

House Speaker Mike Johnson has already called the proposal "dead
on arrival" if it passes the Senate, but Biden urged the
Republican speaker to "pay attention to what the Senate's
doing."

Johnson, along with the rest of the House's top GOP leaders,
said in a joint statement Monday they were opposed to the
legislation because "it fails in every policy area needed to
secure our border and would actually incentivize more illegal
immigration."

The statement from Johnson and Reps. Steve Scalise, Tom Emmer
and Elise Stefanik pointed to a provision in the bill that would
grant work authorizations to migrants who qualify to enter the
asylum system. They also argued that it would endorse a "catch
and release" policy by placing migrants who enter the asylum
system in a monitoring program while they await the final
decision on their asylum claim.

Under the proposal, migrants who seek asylum, which provides
protection for people facing persecution in their home
countries, would face a tougher and faster process to having
their claim evaluated. The standard in initial interviews would
be raised, and many would receive those interviews within days
of arriving at the border.

Final decisions on their asylum claims would happen within
months, rather than the often years-long wait that happens now.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/2024/02/05/senate-republicans-back-away-from-border-policy-bill-leaving-aid-for-ukraine-in-doubt/

That's direct criticism of the bill's language from members of the House
Republican caucus, all Trump supporters. They simply misrepresented this
as catch and release, which it's not.

There are so many false asylum claims, this would have weeded them out
quickly.

The Border Patrol officers union endorsed this. These guys aren't soft
on immigration.

Fucking over Ukraine gives Putin his greatest gift ever.

Re: Bill for Ukraine aid and illegal border crossings dead in Senate

<mfu2sito6ad799rmagnvb0kae7rds293cb@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=215557&group=rec.arts.tv#215557

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2024 19:20:55 -0500
 by: shawn - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 00:20 UTC

On Tue, 6 Feb 2024 00:06:27 -0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman"
<ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

>The bill being negotiated on border security combined with aid to
>Ukraine between McConnell and Schumer is dead. Republican Senators have
>withdrawn their support.

Thank you, Mr Trump.

>Ukraine is going to be overrun by Putin's forces. This is a disaster.
>
>I'm really pissed about this because it sounds like they came up with
>the right way to handle the influx of asylum seekers, letting them work
>and holding their hearings within months and not years. In the meantime,
>they aren't sleeping in shelters but working and paying for their own
>housing.

The Republicans got most of what they wanted and that still wasn't
good enough because Trump spoke out against it. So hopefully this
does get properly blamed on the Republicans who chose not to support
the effort to actually do something about the border issue.

> House Speaker Mike Johnson has already called the proposal "dead
> on arrival" if it passes the Senate, but Biden urged the
> Republican speaker to "pay attention to what the Senate's
> doing."
>
> Johnson, along with the rest of the House's top GOP leaders,
> said in a joint statement Monday they were opposed to the
> legislation because "it fails in every policy area needed to
> secure our border and would actually incentivize more illegal
> immigration."

Except that the GOP was for it until former President Trump spoke out
against it. So instead they chose to do nothing about the border issue
but speak out against it.

> The statement from Johnson and Reps. Steve Scalise, Tom Emmer
> and Elise Stefanik pointed to a provision in the bill that would
> grant work authorizations to migrants who qualify to enter the
> asylum system. They also argued that it would endorse a "catch
> and release" policy by placing migrants who enter the asylum
> system in a monitoring program while they await the final
> decision on their asylum claim.
>
> Under the proposal, migrants who seek asylum, which provides
> protection for people facing persecution in their home
> countries, would face a tougher and faster process to having
> their claim evaluated. The standard in initial interviews would
> be raised, and many would receive those interviews within days
> of arriving at the border.
>
> Final decisions on their asylum claims would happen within
> months, rather than the often years-long wait that happens now.

Something that everyone has complained about for years and yet they
continue to not do anything about it.

>https://www.chicagotribune.com/2024/02/05/senate-republicans-back-away-from-border-policy-bill-leaving-aid-for-ukraine-in-doubt/
>
>That's direct criticism of the bill's language from members of the House
>Republican caucus, all Trump supporters. They simply misrepresented this
>as catch and release, which it's not.
>
>There are so many false asylum claims, this would have weeded them out
>quickly.
>
>The Border Patrol officers union endorsed this. These guys aren't soft
>on immigration.
>
>Fucking over Ukraine gives Putin his greatest gift ever.

Yeah, it's a gift to Putin from Trump just so Trump will have another
issue he can run on this fall.

Re: Bill for Ukraine aid and illegal border crossings dead in Senate

<ups2mt$hgkk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=215565&group=rec.arts.tv#215565

From: ijb...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2024 17:40:44 -0800
 by: Ian J. Ball - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 01:40 UTC

On 2/5/24 4:06 PM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:

> The bill being negotiated on border security combined with aid to
> Ukraine between McConnell and Schumer is dead. Republican Senators have
> withdrawn their support.
>
> Ukraine is going to be overrun by Putin's forces. This is a disaster.

No they won't - Europe can provide enough for Ukraine to keep up a
defense, if not enough to go on offense.

> I'm really pissed about this because it sounds like they came up with
> the right way to handle the influx of asylum seekers, letting them work
> and holding their hearings within months and not years. In the meantime,
> they aren't sleeping in shelters but working and paying for their own
> housing.

Not they didn't - they pretended they could ignore the House position
and negotiate everything in the Senate. That's not how any of this works!!

What this really shows it that Democrats are more than happy to
sacrifice Israel and Ukraine aid in favor of open borders and doing nothing.

This was all kabuki theater when they didn't try and negotiate with the
House. Senate Republicans realized that that was a non-starter, which
should have been obvious to anybody with a brain.

Re: Bill for Ukraine aid and illegal border crossings dead in Senate

<ups442$hjs6$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=215569&group=rec.arts.tv#215569

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2024 18:04:53 -0800
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 02:04 UTC

On 2/5/2024 4:06 PM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> The bill being negotiated on border security combined with aid to
> Ukraine between McConnell and Schumer is dead. Republican Senators have
> withdrawn their support.
>
> Ukraine is going to be overrun by Putin's forces. This is a disaster.
>
> I'm really pissed about this because it sounds like they came up with
> the right way to handle the influx of asylum seekers, letting them work
> and holding their hearings within months and not years. In the meantime,
> they aren't sleeping in shelters but working and paying for their own
> housing.
>
> House Speaker Mike Johnson has already called the proposal "dead
> on arrival" if it passes the Senate, but Biden urged the
> Republican speaker to "pay attention to what the Senate's
> doing."
>
> Johnson, along with the rest of the House's top GOP leaders,
> said in a joint statement Monday they were opposed to the
> legislation because "it fails in every policy area needed to
> secure our border and would actually incentivize more illegal
> immigration."
>
> The statement from Johnson and Reps. Steve Scalise, Tom Emmer
> and Elise Stefanik pointed to a provision in the bill that would
> grant work authorizations to migrants who qualify to enter the
> asylum system. They also argued that it would endorse a "catch
> and release" policy by placing migrants who enter the asylum
> system in a monitoring program while they await the final
> decision on their asylum claim.
>
> Under the proposal, migrants who seek asylum, which provides
> protection for people facing persecution in their home
> countries, would face a tougher and faster process to having
> their claim evaluated. The standard in initial interviews would
> be raised, and many would receive those interviews within days
> of arriving at the border.
>
> Final decisions on their asylum claims would happen within
> months, rather than the often years-long wait that happens now.
>
> https://www.chicagotribune.com/2024/02/05/senate-republicans-back-away-from-border-policy-bill-leaving-aid-for-ukraine-in-doubt/
>
> That's direct criticism of the bill's language from members of the House
> Republican caucus, all Trump supporters. They simply misrepresented this
> as catch and release, which it's not.
>
> There are so many false asylum claims, this would have weeded them out
> quickly.
>
> The Border Patrol officers union endorsed this. These guys aren't soft
> on immigration.

Rep. Jim Jordan has said "make the border a ballot issue, let the voters
decide!"

dirty old man.

Re: Bill for Ukraine aid and illegal border crossings dead in Senate

<ups52l$hrd2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=215570&group=rec.arts.tv#215570

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 02:21:09 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 02:21 UTC

Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:
>On 2/5/24 4:06 PM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:

>>The bill being negotiated on border security combined with aid to
>>Ukraine between McConnell and Schumer is dead. Republican Senators have
>>withdrawn their support.

>>Ukraine is going to be overrun by Putin's forces. This is a disaster.

>No they won't - Europe can provide enough for Ukraine to keep up a
>defense, if not enough to go on offense.

>>I'm really pissed about this because it sounds like they came up with
>>the right way to handle the influx of asylum seekers, letting them work
>>and holding their hearings within months and not years. In the meantime,
>>they aren't sleeping in shelters but working and paying for their own
>>housing.

>Not they didn't - they pretended they could ignore the House position
>and negotiate everything in the Senate. That's not how any of this works!!

You got it wrong, Ian. We don't care if the House and Senate come up
with separate bills. You form a conference committee, work out the
differences, then come up with a compromise to present to both chambers.

>What this really shows it that Democrats are more than happy to
>sacrifice Israel and Ukraine aid in favor of open borders and doing nothing.

What open border? If the asylum claim is resolved in months as required
by this legislation, then the asylum seeker is deported in liue of
remaining in a "pending" status for years. The vast majority of claims,
even if not entirely fraudulent, are unlikely to meet the high bar.

This would actually address asylum abuse, you know, the Republicans' demand.

>This was all kabuki theater when they didn't try and negotiate with the
>House. Senate Republicans realized that that was a non-starter, which
>should have been obvious to anybody with a brain.

The House is unwilling to write legislation, or have you failed to
notice that they have introduced and voted on nearly no legislation in
the current Congress?

Re: Bill for Ukraine aid and illegal border crossings dead in Senate

<atropos-73108F.18534005022024@news.giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=215571&group=rec.arts.tv#215571

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2024 18:53:41 -0800
 by: BTR1701 - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 02:53 UTC

In article <ups52l$hrd2$1@dont-email.me>,
"Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

> Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:
> >On 2/5/24 4:06 PM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
>
> >>The bill being negotiated on border security combined with aid to
> >>Ukraine between McConnell and Schumer is dead. Republican Senators have
> >>withdrawn their support.
>
> >>Ukraine is going to be overrun by Putin's forces. This is a disaster.
>
> >No they won't - Europe can provide enough for Ukraine to keep up a
> >defense, if not enough to go on offense.
>
> >>I'm really pissed about this because it sounds like they came up with
> >>the right way to handle the influx of asylum seekers, letting them work
> >>and holding their hearings within months and not years. In the meantime,
> >>they aren't sleeping in shelters but working and paying for their own
> >>housing.
>
> >Not they didn't - they pretended they could ignore the House position
> >and negotiate everything in the Senate. That's not how any of this works!!
>
> You got it wrong, Ian. We don't care if the House and Senate come up
> with separate bills. You form a conference committee, work out the
> differences, then come up with a compromise to present to both chambers.
>
> >What this really shows it that Democrats are more than happy to
> >sacrifice Israel and Ukraine aid in favor of open borders and doing nothing.
>
> What open border? If the asylum claim is resolved in months as required
> by this legislation, then the asylum seeker is deported in liue of
> remaining in a "pending" status for years. The vast majority of claims,
> even if not entirely fraudulent, are unlikely to meet the high bar.

Well, the 3-5 million got-aways are never going to have an asylum
hearing because they just snuck in and weren't caught.

> This would actually address asylum abuse, you know, the Republicans' demand.
>
> >This was all kabuki theater when they didn't try and negotiate with the
> >House. Senate Republicans realized that that was a non-starter, which
> >should have been obvious to anybody with a brain.
>
> The House is unwilling to write legislation, or have you failed to
> notice that they have introduced and voted on nearly no legislation in
> the current Congress?

Re: Bill for Ukraine aid and illegal border crossings dead in Senate

<upsa94$madu$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=215579&group=rec.arts.tv#215579

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 03:49:56 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 03:49 UTC

BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
>In article <ups52l$hrd2$1@dont-email.me>,
> "Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
>
>> Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:

>> >No they won't - Europe can provide enough for Ukraine to keep up a
>> >defense, if not enough to go on offense.

>> >Not they didn't - they pretended they could ignore the House position
>> >and negotiate everything in the Senate. That's not how any of this works!!
>>
>> You got it wrong, Ian. We don't care if the House and Senate come up
>> with separate bills. You form a conference committee, work out the
>> differences, then come up with a compromise to present to both chambers.
>>
>> >What this really shows it that Democrats are more than happy to
>> >sacrifice Israel and Ukraine aid in favor of open borders and doing nothing.
>>
>> What open border? If the asylum claim is resolved in months as required
>> by this legislation, then the asylum seeker is deported in liue of
>> remaining in a "pending" status for years. The vast majority of claims,
>> even if not entirely fraudulent, are unlikely to meet the high bar.
>
>Well, the 3-5 million got-aways are never going to have an asylum
>hearing because they just snuck in and weren't caught.

Then there is no change in their illegal status under the proposed
legislation. They can be deported same as always.

The Republicans demanded a reform to the asylum system, and got it. Now
they've snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

>> This would actually address asylum abuse, you know, the Republicans' demand.
>>
>> >This was all kabuki theater when they didn't try and negotiate with the
>> >House. Senate Republicans realized that that was a non-starter, which
>> >should have been obvious to anybody with a brain.
>>
>> The House is unwilling to write legislation, or have you failed to
>> notice that they have introduced and voted on nearly no legislation in
>> the current Congress?

Re: Bill for Ukraine aid and illegal border crossings dead in Senate

<atropos-7AD210.21304905022024@news.giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=215593&group=rec.arts.tv#215593

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2024 21:30:49 -0800
 by: BTR1701 - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 05:30 UTC

In article <upsa94$madu$2@dont-email.me>,
"Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

> BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
> >In article <ups52l$hrd2$1@dont-email.me>,

> >> You got it wrong, Ian. We don't care if the House and Senate come up
> >> with separate bills. You form a conference committee, work out the
> >> differences, then come up with a compromise to present to both chambers.

> >> What open border? If the asylum claim is resolved in months as required
> >> by this legislation, then the asylum seeker is deported in liue of
> >> remaining in a "pending" status for years. The vast majority of claims,
> >> even if not entirely fraudulent, are unlikely to meet the high bar.
> >
> >Well, the 3-5 million got-aways are never going to have an asylum
> >hearing because they just snuck in and weren't caught.
>
> Then there is no change in their illegal status under the proposed
> legislation. They can be deported same as always.

And yet they never are, especially under an administration as radically
Left on immigration as this one.

Re: Bill for Ukraine aid and illegal border crossings dead in Senate

<upt9s3$scqv$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=215610&group=rec.arts.tv#215610

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2024 04:30:44 -0500
 by: Ubiquitous - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 09:30 UTC

In article <uprt63$gq24$1@dont-email.me>, ahk@chinet.com wrote:

>The bill being negotiated on border security combined with aid to
>Ukraine between McConnell and Schumer is dead. Republican Senators have
>withdrawn their support.

Good.

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: Bill for Ukraine aid and illegal border crossings dead in Senate

<uptj6s$uigp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=215630&group=rec.arts.tv#215630

From: fredp1...@gmail.com (FPP)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 10:28:26 -0500
 by: FPP - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 15:28 UTC

On 2/5/24 7:20 PM, shawn wrote:
> [...]
>> months, rather than the often years-long wait that happens now.
>
> Something that everyone has complained about for years and yet they
> continue to not do anything about it.
>
>> https://www.chicagotribune.com/2024/02/05/senate-republicans-back-away-from-border-policy-bill-leaving-aid-for-ukraine-in-doubt/
>>
>> That's direct criticism of the bill's language from members of the House
>> Republican caucus, all Trump supporters. They simply misrepresented this
>> as catch and release, which it's not.
>>
>> There are so many false asylum claims, this would have weeded them out
>> quickly.
>>
>> The Border Patrol officers union endorsed this. These guys aren't soft
>> on immigration.
>>
>> Fucking over Ukraine gives Putin his greatest gift ever.
>

> Yeah, it's a gift to Putin from Trump just so Trump will have another

Republicans had their wet dream of a bill in their hands, and they're
throwing it away for the biggest loser they've ever had.

I say good... the Dems got practically nothing in the bill. And after
the Republicans blow their wad killing their dream bill, they'll NEVER
get another Democratic congress to EVER go along with it again.

I'm ecstatic. Dems get to show the country that they can't find their
own asses with a flashlight and a map - and they don't have to swallow
that shit sandwich of a bill.

Sweet!

--
"Thou shalt not make a machine in the likeness of a man’s mind." - OC
Bible 25B.G.

Gracie, age 6.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0es3xolxka455iw/BetterThingsToDo.jpg?dl=0

Re: Bill for Ukraine aid and illegal border crossings dead in Senate

<uptoda$vcoq$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=215632&group=rec.arts.tv#215632

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 08:57:16 -0800
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 16:57 UTC

On 2/5/2024 5:40 PM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> On 2/5/24 4:06 PM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
>
>> The bill being negotiated on border security combined with aid to
>> Ukraine between McConnell and Schumer is dead. Republican Senators have
>> withdrawn their support.
>>
>> Ukraine is going to be overrun by Putin's forces. This is a disaster.
>
> No they won't - Europe can provide enough for Ukraine to keep up a
> defense, if not enough to go on offense.
>
>> I'm really pissed about this because it sounds like they came up with
>> the right way to handle the influx of asylum seekers, letting them work
>> and holding their hearings within months and not years. In the meantime,
>> they aren't sleeping in shelters but working and paying for their own
>> housing.
>
> Not they didn't - they pretended they could ignore the House position
> and negotiate everything in the Senate. That's not how any of this works!!
>
> What this really shows it that Democrats are more than happy to
> sacrifice Israel and Ukraine aid in favor of open borders and doing
> nothing.
>
> This was all kabuki theater when they didn't try and negotiate with the
> House. Senate Republicans realized that that was a non-starter, which
> should have been obvious to anybody with a brain.

The House Republicans are openly saying they will not support any kind
of border/immigration reform so they can blame the Democrats for the
situation in order to get Trump elected.

dirty old man.

Re: Bill for Ukraine aid and illegal border crossings dead in Senate

<uptqni$1e460$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=215634&group=rec.arts.tv#215634

From: suz...@imbris.com (suzeeq)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 09:36:48 -0800
 by: suzeeq - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 17:36 UTC

On 2/6/2024 8:57 AM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
> On 2/5/2024 5:40 PM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
>> On 2/5/24 4:06 PM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
>>
>>> The bill being negotiated on border security combined with aid to
>>> Ukraine between McConnell and Schumer is dead. Republican Senators have
>>> withdrawn their support.
>>>
>>> Ukraine is going to be overrun by Putin's forces. This is a disaster.
>>
>> No they won't - Europe can provide enough for Ukraine to keep up a
>> defense, if not enough to go on offense.
>>
>>> I'm really pissed about this because it sounds like they came up with
>>> the right way to handle the influx of asylum seekers, letting them work
>>> and holding their hearings within months and not years. In the meantime,
>>> they aren't sleeping in shelters but working and paying for their own
>>> housing.
>>
>> Not they didn't - they pretended they could ignore the House position
>> and negotiate everything in the Senate. That's not how any of this
>> works!!
>>
>> What this really shows it that Democrats are more than happy to
>> sacrifice Israel and Ukraine aid in favor of open borders and doing
>> nothing.
>>
>> This was all kabuki theater when they didn't try and negotiate with
>> the House. Senate Republicans realized that that was a non-starter,
>> which should have been obvious to anybody with a brain.
>>
> The House Republicans are openly saying they will not support any kind
> of border/immigration reform so they can blame the Democrats for the
> situation in order to get Trump elected.

Bet that will go over well with the voters next election...

Re: Bill for Ukraine aid and illegal border crossings dead in Senate

<c0u4si9lofrh47opueqmhe60r9foqk7uvh@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=215644&group=rec.arts.tv#215644

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2024 10:19:52 -0800
 by: The Horny Goat - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 18:19 UTC

On Mon, 05 Feb 2024 19:20:55 -0500, shawn
<nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:

>> Final decisions on their asylum claims would happen within
>> months, rather than the often years-long wait that happens now.
>
>Something that everyone has complained about for years and yet they
>continue to not do anything about it.

It's not just the US - Canada took 5+ years to get rid of an ex-KGB
man holed up in a church - and ex-KGB are not eligible to apply either
for admission to Canada or citizenship.

Re: Bill for Ukraine aid and illegal border crossings dead in Senate

<f4u4sidgr7cojqhputcpiu06d4qgeo1o4j@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=215645&group=rec.arts.tv#215645

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2024 10:22:55 -0800
 by: The Horny Goat - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 18:22 UTC

On Mon, 5 Feb 2024 18:04:53 -0800, Dimensional Traveler
<dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>Rep. Jim Jordan has said "make the border a ballot issue, let the voters
>decide!"

So do nothing for most of a year until Inauguration Day January 2025?

Helluva way to run a government of the world's #1 power. In fact a
good way to stop being #1 which given who #2 and #3 would be a very
bad thing for everybody.

Re: Bill for Ukraine aid and illegal border crossings dead in Senate

<k9u4si546mu5hv7bcj317mjlhj6hgdg6ht@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=215646&group=rec.arts.tv#215646

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2024 10:28:04 -0800
 by: The Horny Goat - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 18:28 UTC

On Mon, 05 Feb 2024 18:53:41 -0800, BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

>Well, the 3-5 million got-aways are never going to have an asylum
>hearing because they just snuck in and weren't caught.

I assume it's a criminal offence in the US to hire somebody without a
valid social security number? (hey many years ago my mother had one
even though she was at home with infant little ol' me when they were
in San Francisco)

Just before COVID we had an Irish employee on a 2 year work permit who
returned to Ireland just before the end of her visa (which was a good
thing for her since 4 months later was the first lockdown and it would
be a helluva thing to be unable to work and stuck in a foreign country
unable to return home due to the pandemic) .... anyhow my point is SHE
had the Canadian equivalent of an SSID - which are not hard to get as
long as you're in the country LEGALLY which is of course the point.

Re: Bill for Ukraine aid and illegal border crossings dead in Senate

<upu2kk$11en8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=215652&group=rec.arts.tv#215652

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 19:51:48 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 19:51 UTC

The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca> wrote:

>>. . .

>I assume it's a criminal offence in the US to hire somebody without a
>valid social security number? . . .

It would be a criminal offense under the highly unusual circumstance in
which the employer is aiding and abetting identity theft. Even when this
is known to happen -- agricultural processing plants are dangerous
underpaid work that are hard to find employees -- the traditional "La
Migra" raid is due to the employer "cooperating", turning in his own
workforce. Tyically it's on the day payroll checks are picked up, and
the employer ends up not paying for the final pay period. Even though
employer enforcement of immigration laws has been required since the
1986 amendments to the Immigration and Naturalization Act, there have
been nearly no prosecutions nor civil suits filed against employers for
large-scale violations.

In tax law, payments may be subject to tax. Payments may be subject to
reporting. Not every payment subject to tax is reported or reportable;
not every reported payment is taxable.

In payroll tax administration, the mandate is on the employer to collect
the SSN, which is also used as the person's taxpayer identification
number. Unless the job is bonded or has specific security implications,
like a police officer or security guard, no employee is positively
identified, which requires pictures and fingerprints and running it through
a criminal database looking for hits. There are other databases in which
fingerprints are collected -- foster parents, adoption. Are fingerprints
collected in some states for enforcement of gun laws? Fingerprints are
collected at induction into the military for the sad purpose of identifying
your corpse if killed in action.

It's possible that someone has no prints on file in any government
database.

With an SSN, it's possible to match the name and number only. That's
pretty much all that's in the Social Security database.

If there is a Spanish surname because of confusion in the United States
about traditional use of last names and our databases are rarely set up
to simplify this, there will likely be a "no match". The information
returns are sent to Social Security Administration. The employer may
be informed of the "no match" by IRS or SSA and the steps he must take
to correct. Basically you ask to see the Social Security Card and enter
the name exactly as it appears on the card, mistakes and all.

Or the employer can check the name-number match at hiring through
e-Verify or other Taxpayer Identification Number matching platforms.
E-Verify also can check immigration status for work eligibility but
the system has a lot of flaws.

Even if there's no way to resolve the no match, if the employer has
taken the required steps, then there are no penalies.

The problem is identity theft. These matching platforms will validate
the name-number match and nothing more. There is no positive
identification being performed. It's not terribly difficult to present
forged documents at hiring. If the name and number matches, then it
passes the e-Verify check even if the applicant has lied about his
identity.

Re: Bill for Ukraine aid and illegal border crossings dead in Senate

<upu2q8$11en8$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=215653&group=rec.arts.tv#215653

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 19:54:49 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 19:54 UTC

The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca> wrote:
>Mon, 5 Feb 2024 18:04:53 -0800, Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net>:

>>Rep. Jim Jordan has said "make the border a ballot issue, let the voters
>>decide!"

>So do nothing for most of a year until Inauguration Day January 2025?

Welcome to the 118th Congress of the United States.

>Helluva way to run a government of the world's #1 power. In fact a
>good way to stop being #1 which given who #2 and #3 would be a very
>bad thing for everybody.

The Republicans, with the governing majority of the House of
Representatives, have had every opportunity to show that they can govern
and deserve to win additional seats to enlarge their majority and
possibly re-take the White House.

They chose to go another way.

Re: Bill for Ukraine aid and illegal border crossings dead in Senate

<sVxwN.74182$GX69.56662@fx46.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=215667&group=rec.arts.tv#215667

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 16:55:33 -0500
 by: moviePig - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 21:55 UTC

On 2/6/2024 12:36 PM, suzeeq wrote:
> On 2/6/2024 8:57 AM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:

>>> No they won't - Europe can provide enough for Ukraine to keep up a
>>> defense, if not enough to go on offense.

>>> Not they didn't - they pretended they could ignore the House position
>>> and negotiate everything in the Senate. That's not how any of this
>>> works!!
>>>
>>> What this really shows it that Democrats are more than happy to
>>> sacrifice Israel and Ukraine aid in favor of open borders and doing
>>> nothing.
>>>
>>> This was all kabuki theater when they didn't try and negotiate with
>>> the House. Senate Republicans realized that that was a non-starter,
>>> which should have been obvious to anybody with a brain.
>>>
>> The House Republicans are openly saying they will not support any kind
>> of border/immigration reform so they can blame the Democrats for the
>> situation in order to get Trump elected.
>>
> Bet that will go over well with the voters next election...

You overestimate the intellectual height of the voters...

Re: Bill for Ukraine aid and illegal border crossings dead in Senate

<upulmk$14egc$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=215680&group=rec.arts.tv#215680

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 17:17:11 -0800
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Wed, 7 Feb 2024 01:17 UTC

On 2/6/2024 9:36 AM, suzeeq wrote:
> On 2/6/2024 8:57 AM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:

>>> No they won't - Europe can provide enough for Ukraine to keep up a
>>> defense, if not enough to go on offense.

>>> Not they didn't - they pretended they could ignore the House position
>>> and negotiate everything in the Senate. That's not how any of this
>>> works!!
>>>
>>> What this really shows it that Democrats are more than happy to
>>> sacrifice Israel and Ukraine aid in favor of open borders and doing
>>> nothing.
>>>
>>> This was all kabuki theater when they didn't try and negotiate with
>>> the House. Senate Republicans realized that that was a non-starter,
>>> which should have been obvious to anybody with a brain.
>>>
>> The House Republicans are openly saying they will not support any kind
>> of border/immigration reform so they can blame the Democrats for the
>> situation in order to get Trump elected.
>>
> Bet that will go over well with the voters next election...

It DOES go over extremely well with their MAGA base.

dirty old man.

Re: Bill for Ukraine aid and illegal border crossings dead in Senate

<upumj6$1feum$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=215682&group=rec.arts.tv#215682

From: suz...@imbris.com (suzeeq)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 17:32:22 -0800
 by: suzeeq - Wed, 7 Feb 2024 01:32 UTC

On 2/6/2024 5:17 PM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
> On 2/6/2024 9:36 AM, suzeeq wrote:

>>> The House Republicans are openly saying they will not support any
>>> kind of border/immigration reform so they can blame the Democrats for
>>> the situation in order to get Trump elected.
>>>
>> Bet that will go over well with the voters next election...
>>
> It DOES go over extremely well with their MAGA base.

True.

Re: Bill for Ukraine aid and illegal border crossings dead in Senate

<Jc2dnUwGNeK_-1n4nZ2dnZfqnPSdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=215759&group=rec.arts.tv#215759

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2024 05:26:58 +0000
 by: BTR1701 - Thu, 8 Feb 2024 05:26 UTC

On Feb 5, 2024 at 4:20:55 PM PST, "shawn" <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Feb 2024 00:06:27 -0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman"
> <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
>
>> The bill being negotiated on border security combined with aid to
>> Ukraine between McConnell and Schumer is dead. Republican Senators have
>> withdrawn their support.
>>
> Thank you, Mr Trump.
>
>> Ukraine is going to be overrun by Putin's forces. This is a disaster.
>>
>> I'm really pissed about this because it sounds like they came up with
>> the right way to handle the influx of asylum seekers, letting them work
>> and holding their hearings within months and not years. In the meantime,
>> they aren't sleeping in shelters but working and paying for their own
>> housing.
>
> The Republicans got most of what they wanted and that still wasn't
> good enough

Of course it wasn't good enough. And I don't know who you're referring to
specifically by 'the Republicans' but anyone who isn't a RINO got next to
nothing from this bill with regard to border security. And that's being
generous.

Even as hundreds of thousands of illegals stream across the border every
month, including thousands of gang members recently kicked out of places like
El Salvador, looking for a friendlier place to commit their crimes, this
'border deal' would have done absolutely nothing to secure the border.

First, it's important to emphasize that no 'border deal' is necessary in the
first place. Under existing law, including the Immigration and Nationality Act
of 1952, the president of the United States has the authority to turn every
single illegal alien away at the border if he determines it's necessary to
safeguard the country. There is no requirement that we entertain millions of
fraudulent asylum claims-- or even legitimate asylum claims, as rare as those
may be.

There is no legal requirement that we allow a single non-citizen into this
country. Period.

All that's necessary to secure the border is for the president of the United
States to start enforcing the law, to start using the power that he already
legitimately and constitutionally has. It doesn't need to be complicated. We
just need to start enforcing existing laws as they stand.

But if the White House actually adopted this simple and straightforward
solution, two things would happen:

(1) The Democrat Party would lose out on millions of future loyal voters once
the next stage of their plan is implemented: the 'path to citizenship' for all
the illegals we let in and who now will be described as leading an 'unfair'
twilight existence in our society which can only be solved by making them
citizens. Democrats' longstanding plans for demographic replacement at the
polls would be stymied.

(2) Congress would miss out on a chance to launder hundreds of millions of
dollars and Congress never misses out on an opportunity like that.

So here we are.

The bill proposed in the Senate would allocate another $60 billion dollars in
military aid to Ukraine and $14 billion to Israel. (We are already give Israel
billions every year-- what have they been doing with that? Where has that
money gone that we need to dump $14 billion more on their doorstep?) That's a
grand total of $74 billion going to secure the borders of other countries. By
comparison, the bill only allocates $20 billion for U.S. border security.

So to restate for the slow kids in the back of the room: Our leaders are
proposing to spend roughly 400% more on securing the borders of two other
foreign countries than they are on securing the border of our own country.

And it gets worse. Because even the money that's supposedly going for our
border security will actually in practice only facilitate the entry of
millions of more illegal aliens into the U.S. Specifically, the bill allocates
$2.3 billion for something called "refugee and entry assistance activities" by
giving "grants or contracts to qualified organizations and non-profit entities
to provide culturally and linguistically appropriate services, including
housing, medical, and legal assistance and ease management assistance". (Ease
management assistance? WTF?) So that's more than two billion dollars to the
left-wing organizations that exist principally to find ways to sneak as many
illegals into this country as possible.

By doing so, this bill actually creates more incentives for illegals to come
here in the first place.

One of the highlights of the bill is that it requires the Executive Branch to
close the border on an emergency basis if the number of illegal entries
exceeds 5000 in one week or 8500 in one day.

Except the bill also gives Joe Biden the authority to waive this emergency
requirement at any time at his discretion. So of course it will never be
enforced. He and DHS Secretary Mayorkas could effectively just ignore this
entire section of the law if it were passed.

The bill also doesn't count unaccompanied minors from countries other than
Mexico and Canada toward the totals necessary for border closings. In other
words, a significant percentage of illegals from Haiti, Cuba, Honduras,
Pakistan, China, etc. simply don't count. We could have 20,000 of those show
up in one day and it wouldn't count.

And on top of that, the bill doesn't *actually* close the border, even if this
fraudulent 5000-illegal threshold is reached. Per one of the bill's
co-authors, Senator Chris Murphy: "The bill contains a requirement that the
president funnel asylum claims to the land ports of entry when more than 5000
people cross in a day. The border never closes but claims must be processed at
the ports."

So basically even if these arbitrary numbers are reached, the border never
closes. They illegals are just re-directed to processing centers where they
are then let into the country. It's a complete scam by design. And a scam
that's designed to last for a long time, given the bill's 3-year sunset
provision. The idea being that if Trump does get re-elected, he'd be bound by
the terms of this deal and couldn't do crazy things like ACTUALLY shut down
the border and stop this never-ending firehose of illegals.

In one key respect, this bill would actually *lessen* the already-minimal
standards for allowing illegals into the country. Right now, people applying
for asylum need to show "a significant possibility that they can establish a
credible fear of persecution on the basis of race, national origin, political
beliefs, etc." Not a high standard. It doesn't require them to provide any
actual evidence of their claims. Just make a claim, which they've been coached
to say and which they've rehearsed, and then get into the country. But this
border bill would lower that standard even further, if that's possible, from a
"significant" possibility of persecution to merely a "reasonable" possibility
of persecution. And reasonable is just another way of saying 'plausible'. In
other words, it's a bar that anyone from anywhere can clear. There's no way
that anyone claiming asylum will ever get turned away if that's the standard.

The bill is an abomination that makes the border *less* secure than it already
is, which is a remarkable feat that few, if any, people imagined was even
possible.

Thank god the House Republicans said the bill was dead on arrival. But it
doesn't begin to explain why Senate Republicans thought there was anything
here that could possibly be considered good for America.

It's as if the Senate is made up of politicians who despise their own citizens
and whose top priority is the safety of foreigners in other countries
thousands of miles from their own shores. And they know it.

When you confront them on why they've utterly failed at the border, they don't
even try and justify their behavior. They just call you a racist for even
asking the question. There's no political calculation that would explain their
support for this nonsense. The American people, Democrats and Republicans
alike are overwhelmingly upset about what's going on at the border. There's no
support for it.

Polls clearly show that no one's buying the idea that we need a nearly $100
billion giveaway to Ukraine and Israel in order to do something as basic as
enforcing the law here in America.

Nobody seriously thinks that it's appropriate to pay foreign countries vast
sums of money to secure their borders while we allocate a fraction of that
money to open up our borders even more. Most Americans want our leaders to
prioritize our country before other countries. It is not an unreasonable thing
for us to want.

Re: Bill for Ukraine aid and illegal border crossings dead in Senate

<uq1rce$1rnku$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=215767&group=rec.arts.tv#215767

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2024 06:12:31 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Thu, 8 Feb 2024 06:12 UTC

BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
>Feb 5, 2024 at 4:20:55 PM PST, shawn <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com>:
>>Tue, 6 Feb 2024 00:06:27 -0000 (UTC), Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com>:
>>>The bill being negotiated on border security combined with aid to
>>>Ukraine between McConnell and Schumer is dead. Republican Senators have
>>>withdrawn their support.

>>Thank you, Mr Trump.
>>>Ukraine is going to be overrun by Putin's forces. This is a disaster.

>>>I'm really pissed about this because it sounds like they came up with
>>>the right way to handle the influx of asylum seekers, letting them work
>>>and holding their hearings within months and not years. In the meantime,
>>>they aren't sleeping in shelters but working and paying for their own
>>>housing.

>>The Republicans got most of what they wanted and that still wasn't
>>good enough

>Of course it wasn't good enough. And I don't know who you're referring to
>specifically by 'the Republicans' but anyone who isn't a RINO got next to
>nothing from this bill with regard to border security. And that's being
>generous.

>Even as hundreds of thousands of illegals stream across the border every
>month, including thousands of gang members recently kicked out of places like
>El Salvador, looking for a friendlier place to commit their crimes, this
>'border deal' would have done absolutely nothing to secure the border.

>First, it's important to emphasize that no 'border deal' is necessary in the
>first place. Under existing law, including the Immigration and Nationality Act
>of 1952, the president of the United States has the authority to turn every
>single illegal alien away at the border if he determines it's necessary to
>safeguard the country. There is no requirement that we entertain millions of
>fraudulent asylum claims-- or even legitimate asylum claims, as rare as those
>may be.

Asylum claims are under United States law enforcing the international treaty
on asylum that we are party to.

If it had become law, then asylum claims would have been adjudicated on a
timely basis within months, with a tougher initial screening process.

That's what we should want to happen.

>There is no legal requirement that we allow a single non-citizen into this
>country. Period.

As Americans born in this country aren't replacing themselves with their
own children, there's no way to finance the Ponzi schemes that are the
Social Security Old-Age Pension and Medicare.

>All that's necessary to secure the border is for the president of the United
>States to start enforcing the law, to start using the power that he already
>legitimately and constitutionally has. It doesn't need to be complicated. We
>just need to start enforcing existing laws as they stand.

>But if the White House actually adopted this simple and straightforward
>solution, two things would happen:

>(1) The Democrat Party would lose out on millions of future loyal voters once
>the next stage of their plan is implemented: the 'path to citizenship' for all
>the illegals we let in and who now will be described as leading an 'unfair'
>twilight existence in our society which can only be solved by making them
>citizens. Democrats' longstanding plans for demographic replacement at the
>polls would be stymied.

What if they won't vote Democratic? They come here, open small shops and
stores, literally make a better life for themselves. The ones with the
entrepreneurial spirit would have been Republicans in olden days before
the Republican Party went bonkers.

>(2) Congress would miss out on a chance to launder hundreds of millions of
>dollars and Congress never misses out on an opportunity like that.

I uh what?

>So here we are.

>The bill proposed in the Senate would allocate another $60 billion dollars in
>military aid to Ukraine and $14 billion to Israel. (We are already give Israel
>billions every year-- what have they been doing with that? Where has that
>money gone that we need to dump $14 billion more on their doorstep?) That's a
>grand total of $74 billion going to secure the borders of other countries. By
>comparison, the bill only allocates $20 billion for U.S. border security.

I don't want Putin to win. A victory for Ukraine is in the world's best
interest.

>So to restate for the slow kids in the back of the room: Our leaders are
>proposing to spend roughly 400% more on securing the borders of two other
>foreign countries than they are on securing the border of our own country.

That was McConnell's idea. He wanted this combination of unrelated
issues. For all I care, it could have been a pure border bill.

>And it gets worse. Because even the money that's supposedly going for our
>border security will actually in practice only facilitate the entry of
>millions of more illegal aliens into the U.S. Specifically, the bill allocates
>$2.3 billion for something called "refugee and entry assistance activities" by
>giving "grants or contracts to qualified organizations and non-profit entities
>to provide culturally and linguistically appropriate services, including
>housing, medical, and legal assistance and ease management assistance". (Ease
>management assistance? WTF?) So that's more than two billion dollars to the
>left-wing organizations that exist principally to find ways to sneak as many
>illegals into this country as possible.

I think the aliens already snuck in.

>By doing so, this bill actually creates more incentives for illegals to come
>here in the first place.

>One of the highlights of the bill is that it requires the Executive Branch to
>close the border on an emergency basis if the number of illegal entries
>exceeds 5000 in one week or 8500 in one day.

What does that even mean? That's got to apply to land ports of entry.

I really have no problem if there are no privileges available to those
who don't enter at established land ports.

>Except the bill also gives Joe Biden the authority to waive this emergency
>requirement at any time at his discretion. So of course it will never be
>enforced. He and DHS Secretary Mayorkas could effectively just ignore this
>entire section of the law if it were passed.

>The bill also doesn't count unaccompanied minors from countries other than
>Mexico and Canada toward the totals necessary for border closings. In other
>words, a significant percentage of illegals from Haiti, Cuba, Honduras,
>Pakistan, China, etc. simply don't count. We could have 20,000 of those show
>up in one day and it wouldn't count.

>And on top of that, the bill doesn't *actually* close the border, even if this
>fraudulent 5000-illegal threshold is reached. Per one of the bill's
>co-authors, Senator Chris Murphy: "The bill contains a requirement that the
>president funnel asylum claims to the land ports of entry when more than 5000
>people cross in a day. The border never closes but claims must be processed at
>the ports."

Fine. That's moronic.

I agree with some of the rest of what you wrote, and disagree with part
of it.

>. . .

Re: Bill for Ukraine aid and illegal border crossings dead in Senate

<17b1da7fe8da2163$136907$412386$44d50e60@news.newsdemon.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=215781&group=rec.arts.tv#215781

Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2024 03:53:26 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
 by: trotsky - Thu, 8 Feb 2024 09:53 UTC

On 2/5/24 8:53 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> In article <ups52l$hrd2$1@dont-email.me>,
> "Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
>
>> Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:

>>> No they won't - Europe can provide enough for Ukraine to keep up a
>>> defense, if not enough to go on offense.

>>> Not they didn't - they pretended they could ignore the House position
>>> and negotiate everything in the Senate. That's not how any of this works!!
>>
>> You got it wrong, Ian. We don't care if the House and Senate come up
>> with separate bills. You form a conference committee, work out the
>> differences, then come up with a compromise to present to both chambers.
>>
>>> What this really shows it that Democrats are more than happy to
>>> sacrifice Israel and Ukraine aid in favor of open borders and doing nothing.
>>
>> What open border? If the asylum claim is resolved in months as required
>> by this legislation, then the asylum seeker is deported in liue of
>> remaining in a "pending" status for years. The vast majority of claims,
>> even if not entirely fraudulent, are unlikely to meet the high bar.
>
> Well, the 3-5 million got-aways are never going to have an asylum
> hearing because they just snuck in and weren't caught.

And this makes you butthurt why, exactly?

Re: Bill for Ukraine aid and illegal border crossings dead in Senate

<17b1da969f0d80b4$136908$412386$44d50e60@news.newsdemon.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=215782&group=rec.arts.tv#215782

Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2024 03:55:04 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
 by: trotsky - Thu, 8 Feb 2024 09:55 UTC

On 2/5/24 11:30 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> In article <upsa94$madu$2@dont-email.me>,
> "Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
>
>> BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

>>> Well, the 3-5 million got-aways are never going to have an asylum
>>> hearing because they just snuck in and weren't caught.
>>
>> Then there is no change in their illegal status under the proposed
>> legislation. They can be deported same as always.
>
> And yet they never are, especially under an administration as radically
> Left on immigration as this one.

They weren't under Trump either asshole, they were held in concentration
camps. Biden is a high point for our democracy, Trump was scraping up
feces that fell on the floor. Any other questions?

Re: Bill for Ukraine aid and illegal border crossings dead in Senate

<uq4278$2aaf4$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=215882&group=rec.arts.tv#215882

From: fredp1...@gmail.com (FPP)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2024 21:21:28 -0500
 by: FPP - Fri, 9 Feb 2024 02:21 UTC

On 2/6/24 1:22 PM, The Horny Goat wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Feb 2024 18:04:53 -0800, Dimensional Traveler
> <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
>
>> Rep. Jim Jordan has said "make the border a ballot issue, let the voters
>> decide!"
>
> So do nothing for most of a year until Inauguration Day January 2025?
>
> Helluva way to run a government of the world's #1 power. In fact a
> good way to stop being #1 which given who #2 and #3 would be a very
> bad thing for everybody.

Don't worry, if they lose the election, that will change soon enough.