"There is hopeful symbolism in the fact that flags do not wave in a vacuum." -- Arthur C. Clarke

arts / rec.arts.tv / What Did You Watch? 2024-04-12 (Friday)

SubjectAuthor
* What Did You Watch? 2024-04-12 (Friday)Ian J. Ball
+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-12 (Friday)Arthur Lipscomb
|+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-12 (Friday)anim8rfsk
||`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-12 (Friday)Arthur Lipscomb
|| +* Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-12 (Friday)Ian J. Ball
|| |`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-12 (Friday)Arthur Lipscomb
|| `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-12 (Friday)anim8rfsk
||  `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-12 (Friday)Arthur Lipscomb
||   `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-12 (Friday)anim8rfsk
|`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-12 (Friday)Ubiquitous
| `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-12 (Friday)anim8rfsk
|  `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-12 (Friday)suzeeq
|   `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-12 (Friday)shawn
+- Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-12 (Friday)Ian J. Ball
`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-12 (Friday)anim8rfsk
 `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-12 (Friday)anim8rfsk

1
What Did You Watch? 2024-04-12 (Friday)

<uve93c$32hos$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=222184&group=rec.arts.tv#222184

From: ijb...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-12 (Friday)
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 08:41:31 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 15:41 UTC

What did you watch?

(I am working on IMDb stuff right now, so I will follow-up to myself a
little later...)

Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-12 (Friday)

<uvebr7$33cc6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=222191&group=rec.arts.tv#222191

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-12 (Friday)
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 09:28:21 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 16:28 UTC

On 4/13/2024 8:41 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> What did you watch?
>
> (I am working on IMDb stuff right now, so I will follow-up to myself a
> little later...)

I watched:

Parish (AMC) Episode two of this Giancarlo Esposito crime series. This
one mainly dealt with the fallout from the heist in the pilot not going
as planned.

Fallout (Amazon Prime) New series based on a video game about survivors
in a post-apocalyptic America. The premier mostly focuses on a group of
survivors living in a massive underground bunker that is based on a sort
of stylized futuristic 60s vibe. While on the surface it's more of a
Mad Max vibe, although not as bad since some of civilization has
survived. From what I gather the two sides are vaguely aware of each
other's existence although no real interaction. Due to spoilerish
things happening a naive young woman leaves the bunker to go on a quest.
I guess the first episode was OK.

The Birds (blu-ray) 1963 movie directed by Alfred Hitchcock about a
small town being terrorized by birds that keep attacking for no reason.
I could have sworn this movie was in black and white and was shocked
when it was in color. My best guess is the last time I watched it was
maybe 40 or so years ago on a black and white TV. Either that or I just
flat out forgot it was in color. Regardless, the movie holds up well
enough. I just have one more Hitchcock movie to go, then I think I will
have watched all the ones I want to watch.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-12 (Friday)

<uvedoa$33hu8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=222195&group=rec.arts.tv#222195

From: ijb...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 10:00:58 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 17:00 UTC

OK, yesterday, after work and errands (and a nap!), I got through a
soap, and a couple of Tubi movies:

soaps: DOOL - Thur's ep. Wow, they are really going to drag out this
Everett storyline, aren't they?! Stephanie confronts Everett about not
signing the divorce papers, and Stephanie is disturbed by his response.
Later, Everett goes to see Marlena, finally tells her that he "saw
himself" under hypnosis, but then refuses any other hypnosis treatment,
and storms out of her office... Steve is apologetic to Kayla, who is
still mad about Steve's role in Clyde's jailbreak, and then Steve tells
her about the mission, years ago, in which John allegedly killed
Constantine's daughter. Constantine secretly vows revenge against John,
despite publicly "forgiving" him... Dumb Holly and NuTate have a
"picnic" (I didn't see any picnic!!) in the park, but are seen by Kayla
and Stephanie, and try to get Kayla and Stephanie to pledge not to say
anything... In the "at least they're not dragging this storyline out!"
department, Ava finally comes clean, and tells Harris that Clyde called
her with "one more job".

Tubi "original" movies:

Lowlifes (Tubi) - This was OK, until the ending which *really* put me off...
In this, a family from L.A. (Canucks (all!?) Matthew MacCaull, Elyse
Levesque, and teens Josh Zaharia and Amanda Fix) are out in the boonies
"camping", when they are seemingly menaced by a couple of local rubes
(one of whom is played by now-"veteran" Canuck character actor Richard
Harmon!).
Will the family escape the local rube menace?!
But, wait! There's a TWIST!!
I must admit - I didn't see the twist coming.
Bottom line: After a somewhat slow start, this turns into a decent
cat-and-mouse suspense flick, once the urban family gets to the rubes'
family's farmhouse.
But the ending really put me off - it was both a cliched and
pro-forma "final twist", that was too clearly choreographed, and it was
the kind of ending that just feels completely arbitrary.
There is definitely a problem today with too many people delivering
sh*tty endings to their horror flicks. Very few deliver an ending that's
worthy of note...
Sidenote: The movie was really adle-brained on the "boonies" part -
they show an establishing shot of Mount Rainer! but all of the rubes
speak with southern accents!! (Is this supposed to be West Virginia or
something?! - They never say!)

Festival of the Living Dead (Tubi) - This, OTOH, wasn't nearly as good
as even "Lowlifes".
I only watched this because it co-stars Camren Bicondova from
"Gotham", as I wasn't sure that Bicondova was even still "around" in the
business - she sports shorter hair in this film (actually, I think she
switched to that hairstyle even before the end of "Gotham"), which I
don't really care for.
Anyway, this is kind of a "direct sequel" to the original "Night of
the Living Dead", and seems to have nothing to do with "The Return of
the Living Dead" series - the conceit here seems to be there was a local
zombie outbreak in 1968, but it was contained, and there are no zombies
currently...
Well, that is, until somebody decides to hold a "music festival"
near the site of the original meteor impact. (This is incredibly dumb -
the meteor is still there, 55 years later, completely in tact, with the
government having done nothing to cordon the area off, or at least take
away the meteor?!!)
Anyway, Ashley Moore and Camren Bicondova play childhood besties who
have drifted apart near the end of high school due to Moore's
character's desire to be "popular". While Bicondovan babysits Moore's
little brother, Moore and her current (lousy!) friends and boyfriend
head off to the musical festival.
A zombie riot ensues!!
Meh.
This flick costars Maia Jae Bastidas (from "Gen V") and Keana Lyn
Bastidas (from The All New! NEW!! "Hardy Boys", and from a recent
Lifetime flick), whom I didn't realize before now were, 1) different
people! and, 2) apparently (identical) twins!
Anyway, this was skippable - as zombie movies go there is almost
nothing to recommend it.

> What did you watch?

Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-12 (Friday)

<1263722996.734740148.460057.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=222218&group=rec.arts.tv#222218

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 15:57:10 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 22:57 UTC

Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
> On 4/13/2024 8:41 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
>> What did you watch?
>>
>> (I am working on IMDb stuff right now, so I will follow-up to myself a
>> little later...)
>

> I watched:
>

> Parish (AMC) Episode two of this Giancarlo Esposito crime series. This
> one mainly dealt with the fallout from the heist in the pilot not going
> as planned.
>

> Fallout (Amazon Prime) New series based on a video game about survivors
> in a post-apocalyptic America. The premier mostly focuses on a group of
> survivors living in a massive underground bunker that is based on a sort
> of stylized futuristic 60s vibe. While on the surface it's more of a
> Mad Max vibe, although not as bad since some of civilization has
> survived. From what I gather the two sides are vaguely aware of each
> other's existence although no real interaction. Due to spoilerish
> things happening a naive young woman leaves the bunker to go on a quest.
> I guess the first episode was OK.
>

> The Birds (blu-ray) 1963 movie directed by Alfred Hitchcock about a
> small town being terrorized by birds that keep attacking for no reason.
> I could have sworn this movie was in black and white and was shocked
> when it was in color. My best guess is the last time I watched it was
> maybe 40 or so years ago on a black and white TV. Either that or I just
> flat out forgot it was in color. Regardless, the movie holds up well
> enough. I just have one more Hitchcock movie to go, then I think I will
> have watched all the ones I want to watch.

Which one do you have left to go?

Perhaps more importantly, which do you intend to skip?

Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-12 (Friday)

<779124942.734740184.504415.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=222219&group=rec.arts.tv#222219

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 15:57:11 -0700

Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:
> What did you watch?

Hey, thanks for asking!

I watched a lot of episodes of FLIPPER sometime subtitled The New
Adventures. This is the one that shot three episodes in Florida, and then
moved to Australia and had the most cast turnover you’ve ever seen. It’s
also the one with Jessica Alba as the jailbait girl who could make a good
dog break his leash. Her character is totally perplexing. first she just
seems to be some homeless girl who lives on the beach then at one point she
at least has a bicycle and then at one point she mentions what color her
bedroom is. There’s a throwaway about her mother deserting her and another
about her having a sister. But we never find out what’s going on or who is
her legal guardian or what. Also, they write her like a preteen who punches
boys in the arm when they try to kiss her. There’s a boy her own age that
she’s always getting into trouble, getting him to steal, airplanes and navy
submarines (!) And such. Of course, flipper will save them. And there’s
this plot about her thinking mermaids are real and thinking she’s a mermaid
and it’s all very strange and muddled.

It starts out with the lead being a new actor, playing the character of the
incredibly annoying bud that they added to the original show. His older
brother Sandy shows up in one episode. There’s also this woman from the
Navy who is the mother of the boy who likes Maya. At the end of the first
season they give Bud a flashback episode and then he’s never seen again.
That happens a lot on this show.

Season two begins with an all new cast except for Jessica Alba (Maya) as
new people run the dolphin Institute and also do search and rescue.

Season two ends with Maya, trapped in a storm drain having a flashback
episode. (guess what happens to her next season?) And flipper inexplicably
traverses the storm drains to rescue her.

Season three begins with them saying Maya (who is 16 last we heard) went
off with the lead female from season two to do research in the red Sea! The
lead male from season two has completely forgotten the lead female, and is
marrying somebody new we’ve never heard of who has two incredibly annoying
kids. We’re talking Jody and Buffy from family affair annoying here.
Somewhat inexplicably the father of the season two female lead stays with
the show even though the only reason he was there was to reconnect with his
daughter, but he gets fewer and fewer episodes until he’s gone.

Season four kind of stabilizes, except that the lead picks up an annoying
sister, who is a juvenile delinquent. And it ends with the horrible death
of flipper. No, seriously.

Hard to recommend unless you want to see Jessica Alba before her prime. If
she’s your goal, I would recommend INTO THE BLUE.

I don’t remember if I mentioned that Apple gave me a free month of Apple TV
for buying something else (I think it was pizza). It’s staggeringly
annoying because almost everything is pay-per-view.

But they finally suggested I watch ARGYLLE.
This is a comedy spy thing starring Henry Cavill, which is really really
good until Bryce Dallas Howard shows up. Unfortunately that’s about the
seven minute mark. This is not the cute woman you remember from the
Jurassic Park movies. This is an old fat version of her that looks sort of
like, Donna Noble and is every bit as annoying. Then the movie keeps
getting worse and worse and stupider and stupider as it spirals down to the
end.

So do I recommend it or not? I’d recommend it at the beginning and I’d tell
you to run screaming from the end. I don’t think I can honestly tell you to
just quit halfway, but there are some good cast members and good
performances. So a luke warm thumbs up.

And I absolutely hate Apple TV. The instant the end credits start, they
kill the feed without even going to something else in its place, even on
something like this, which was made for them, and has mid credits scenes. I
actually had to go to Mr. Google to find out what to do to watch the
credits and they were wrong, but it got me close enough that after five
freaking tries, I managed it.

They want me to watch all the Ghostbusters movies and pay for every last
damn one of them except the first. This seems unlikely.

And they only give me the first episode of their various series for free.

Why the hell would I pay for a service that’s nothing but a gateway to
pay-per-view?

Already canceled.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-12 (Friday)

<uvf8aq$397vk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=222227&group=rec.arts.tv#222227

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 17:34:31 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 00:34 UTC

On 4/13/2024 3:57 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
>> On 4/13/2024 8:41 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
>>> What did you watch?
>>>
>>> (I am working on IMDb stuff right now, so I will follow-up to myself a
>>> little later...)
>>

>> I watched:
>>

>> Parish (AMC) Episode two of this Giancarlo Esposito crime series. This
>> one mainly dealt with the fallout from the heist in the pilot not going
>> as planned.
>>

>> Fallout (Amazon Prime) New series based on a video game about survivors
>> in a post-apocalyptic America. The premier mostly focuses on a group of
>> survivors living in a massive underground bunker that is based on a sort
>> of stylized futuristic 60s vibe. While on the surface it's more of a
>> Mad Max vibe, although not as bad since some of civilization has
>> survived. From what I gather the two sides are vaguely aware of each
>> other's existence although no real interaction. Due to spoilerish
>> things happening a naive young woman leaves the bunker to go on a quest.
>> I guess the first episode was OK.
>>

>> The Birds (blu-ray) 1963 movie directed by Alfred Hitchcock about a
>> small town being terrorized by birds that keep attacking for no reason.
>> I could have sworn this movie was in black and white and was shocked
>> when it was in color. My best guess is the last time I watched it was
>> maybe 40 or so years ago on a black and white TV. Either that or I just
>> flat out forgot it was in color. Regardless, the movie holds up well
>> enough. I just have one more Hitchcock movie to go, then I think I will
>> have watched all the ones I want to watch.
>>

> Which one do you have left to go?
>
> Perhaps more importantly, which do you intend to skip?

I have a Hitchcock blu-ray box set. A while back I watched: Rope, Rear
Window, The Man Who Knew Too Much, Vertigo, and Dial M For Murder (off
of TCM). Time really flies! I could have sworn I watched these a year
or less ago, but it was actually 2 years ago. Yesterday I watched The
Birds and today I'm watching my Psycho 4K box set.

In the Hitchcock blu-ray box set that I didn't watch: Marnie, Saboteur,
Shadow of a Doubt, The Trouble with Harry, Torn Curtain, Topaz, Frenzy,
and Family Plot. I'm not sure if I've seen any of these before. I'm
vaguely aware of the plot of The Trouble with Harry, but that doesn't
mean I seen it before. Same goes for "Frenzy." Although if they did a
remake, *maybe* I saw the remake. I really don't know for sure. The
set also includes 7 episodes of Hitchcock Presents and 3 episodes of The
Hitchcock Hour. I don't know which episodes are included.

As an aside, something very weird has been going on with my news reader
for a long while. One of the issues I occasional experience is when I
click on a post it shows as if someone else sent it. That's not
something that's easy to catch, but it happens to my posts too. The
only way I knew for sure this posted is because you responded to it. On
my end, I could see it was sent, but couldn't see the actual post.
Every time I clicked it Ian's post appeared instead. It's getting worse
and worse, I click on one person's post but someone else's' post
appears. I'm going to have uninstall and reinstall Thunderbird or maybe
use a different newsreader. This is getting out of hand.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-12 (Friday)

<uvfb79$39lnd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=222228&group=rec.arts.tv#222228

From: ijb...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 18:23:53 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 01:23 UTC

On 4/13/24 5:34 PM, Arthur Lipscomb wrote:

> On 4/13/2024 3:57 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>> Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>>> I watched:
>>>
>>> The Birds (blu-ray) 1963 movie directed by Alfred Hitchcock about a
>>> small town being terrorized by birds that keep attacking for no reason.
>>> I could have sworn this movie was in black and white and was shocked
>>> when it was in color. My best guess is the last time I watched it was
>>> maybe 40 or so years ago on a black and white TV.  Either that or I just
>>> flat out forgot it was in color.  Regardless, the movie holds up well
>>> enough.  I just have one more Hitchcock movie to go, then I think I will
>>> have watched all the ones I want to watch.
>>
>> Which one do you have left to go?
>>
>> Perhaps more importantly, which do you intend to skip?
>
> I have a Hitchcock blu-ray box set.  A while back I watched: Rope, Rear
> Window, The Man Who Knew Too Much, Vertigo, and Dial M For Murder (off
> of TCM).  Time really flies!  I could have sworn I watched these a year
> or less ago, but it was actually 2 years ago.  Yesterday I watched The
> Birds and today I'm watching my Psycho 4K box set.
>
> In the Hitchcock blu-ray box set that I didn't watch: Marnie, Saboteur,
> Shadow of a Doubt, The Trouble with Harry, Torn Curtain, Topaz, Frenzy,
> and Family Plot.  I'm not sure if I've seen any of these before.  I'm
> vaguely aware of the plot of The Trouble with Harry, but that doesn't
> mean I seen it before.  Same goes for "Frenzy."  Although if they did a
> remake, *maybe* I saw the remake.  I really don't know for sure.  The
> set also includes 7 episodes of Hitchcock Presents and 3 episodes of The
> Hitchcock Hour.  I don't know which episodes are included.

You can skip "The 39 Steps", that's for sure!!

> As an aside, something very weird has been going on with my news reader
> for a long while.  One of the issues I occasional experience is when I
> click on a post it shows as if someone else sent it.  That's not
> something that's easy to catch, but it happens to my posts too.  The
> only way I knew for sure this posted is because you responded to it.  On
> my end, I could see it was sent, but couldn't see the actual post. Every
> time I clicked it Ian's post appeared instead.  It's getting worse and
> worse, I click on one person's post but someone else's' post appears.
> I'm going to have uninstall and reinstall Thunderbird or maybe use a
> different newsreader.  This is getting out of hand.

Are you Mac, or PC?

I would definitely check for updates, and if no update is available, try
a reinstall.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-12 (Friday)

<1359351244.734751915.231570.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=222237&group=rec.arts.tv#222237

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 20:04:01 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 03:04 UTC

Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
> On 4/13/2024 3:57 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>> Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>>> I watched:
>>>

>>> Parish (AMC) Episode two of this Giancarlo Esposito crime series. This
>>> one mainly dealt with the fallout from the heist in the pilot not going
>>> as planned.
>>>

>>> Fallout (Amazon Prime) New series based on a video game about survivors
>>> in a post-apocalyptic America. The premier mostly focuses on a group of
>>> survivors living in a massive underground bunker that is based on a sort
>>> of stylized futuristic 60s vibe. While on the surface it's more of a
>>> Mad Max vibe, although not as bad since some of civilization has
>>> survived. From what I gather the two sides are vaguely aware of each
>>> other's existence although no real interaction. Due to spoilerish
>>> things happening a naive young woman leaves the bunker to go on a quest.
>>> I guess the first episode was OK.
>>>

>>> The Birds (blu-ray) 1963 movie directed by Alfred Hitchcock about a
>>> small town being terrorized by birds that keep attacking for no reason.
>>> I could have sworn this movie was in black and white and was shocked
>>> when it was in color. My best guess is the last time I watched it was
>>> maybe 40 or so years ago on a black and white TV. Either that or I just
>>> flat out forgot it was in color. Regardless, the movie holds up well
>>> enough. I just have one more Hitchcock movie to go, then I think I will
>>> have watched all the ones I want to watch.
>>>

>> Which one do you have left to go?
>>
>> Perhaps more importantly, which do you intend to skip?
>>

> I have a Hitchcock blu-ray box set. A while back I watched: Rope, Rear
> Window, The Man Who Knew Too Much, Vertigo, and Dial M For Murder (off
> of TCM). Time really flies! I could have sworn I watched these a year
> or less ago, but it was actually 2 years ago. Yesterday I watched The
> Birds and today I'm watching my Psycho 4K box set.
>
> In the Hitchcock blu-ray box set that I didn't watch: Marnie, Saboteur,
> Shadow of a Doubt, The Trouble with Harry, Torn Curtain, Topaz, Frenzy,
> and Family Plot. I'm not sure if I've seen any of these before. I'm
> vaguely aware of the plot of The Trouble with Harry, but that doesn't
> mean I seen it before. Same goes for "Frenzy." Although if they did a
> remake, *maybe* I saw the remake. I really don't know for sure. The
> set also includes 7 episodes of Hitchcock Presents and 3 episodes of The
> Hitchcock Hour. I don't know which episodes are included.

Please tell me you’re going to watch NORTH BY NORTHWEST. It’s my very
favorite Hitchcock! And it’s the source of in jokes in lots of other movies
and TV shows that you’ll finally get :-)

> As an aside, something very weird has been going on with my news reader
> for a long while. One of the issues I occasional experience is when I
> click on a post it shows as if someone else sent it. That's not
> something that's easy to catch, but it happens to my posts too. The
> only way I knew for sure this posted is because you responded to it. On
> my end, I could see it was sent, but couldn't see the actual post.
> Every time I clicked it Ian's post appeared instead. It's getting worse
> and worse, I click on one person's post but someone else's' post
> appears. I'm going to have uninstall and reinstall Thunderbird or maybe
> use a different newsreader. This is getting out of hand.

:/

Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-12 (Friday)

<1685321122.734752049.265009.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=222238&group=rec.arts.tv#222238

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 20:04:02 -0700

anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
> [...]
> you to run screaming from the end. I don’t think I can honestly tell you to
> just quit halfway, but there are some good cast members and good
> performances. So a luke warm thumbs up.
>
> And I absolutely hate Apple TV. The instant the end credits start, they
> kill the feed without even going to something else in its place, even on
> something like this, which was made for them, and has mid credits scenes. I
> actually had to go to Mr. Google to find out what to do to watch the
> credits and they were wrong, but it got me close enough that after five
> freaking tries, I managed it.
>
> They want me to watch all the Ghostbusters movies and pay for every last
> damn one of them except the first. This seems unlikely.
>
> And they only give me the first episode of their various series for free.
>
> Why the hell would I pay for a service that’s nothing but a gateway to

I forgot!

BLUE BLOODS.

A furious to the point of hysteria Baker enters Frank’s office in a lovely
gray, tweed frock, and tells him someone we’ve never heard of is there to
see him. It turns out to be Garrett who has used a fake name to get past
Baker’s gatekeeperness. Since when does Garrett Need Baker’s permission to
see the PC? Since when would Baker let somebody she’d never heard of in?

Garrett has brought with him a neighbor who is an Uber driver. Six months
ago she double parked to pick up a food order and her car was stolen. When
it was recovered, they found drugs in it. Even though they know it’s the
car thieves that brought the drugs, the DAs office won’t return the car.
Even though Frank shouldn’t do anything about this he does and the cops
tell him that it’s Erin Reagan, who won’t release the car.

Frank goes to see Erin and she doesn’t know anything about it and she’s mad
at Frank for not assuming it was just some low level flunky who screwed up.
Why would he assume that? The cops named her. They named her name, by name.
Anyway, they get it taken care of. But not before Erin drops off the roast
of the week. I don’t understand that. The different kids take turns
dropping off the roast of the week. Isn’t that an incredible waste of time
and energy? And most of the time they don’t have roast. You think Frank
could find a butcher that delivered. What’s Henry do all day anyway? He
and Jamie didn’t do anything this week but eat.

A mother comes home from doing the laundry and finds the door to her crummy
apartment open and her daughter missing. Of course, Danny catches the case
because that’s what major case does, missing foreign children in crummy
neighborhoods. Anyway, there’s voodoo involved when it turns out the kid
was evil and possessed. A hot black cop who is their voodoo expert shows up
and is making the moves on Baez and Danny is all off and sulking. maybe
he’ll finally wise up and go hit on Jennifer Esposito!

Crazy Eddie has a new partner, female black. Partner is all ticked off
because the fanciest grade school in New York just turned down her kid. It
must be racism. It can’t have been anything else like they blew the
interview and how was she gonna afford the fanciest grade school in New
York anyway?

Crazy Eddie vows to take the evil school down. Her plan is just crazy
enough to work! She’s going to borrow somebody’s kid and go in and apply
and if they accept her clearly, they must’ve turned down the black
candidate by racism because the cases aren’t anything alike are they? so
they borrow the captains kid and at the door to the school the captain
double crosses them and said she’s taking in the kid herself because this
is the fanciest school in New York and if they let her in then she’s gonna
let the kid go there. Because the school is going to still let them in even
though they applied as part of a sting with false information.

Anyway they get turned down too and they figure out it’s because the
admissions woman doesn’t like cops so Eddie runs an operation against them
and gets subpoenas and is going to look at all this particular women’s
admissions and break everything wide open if she doesn’t like cops because
that’s what street cops do. And because apparently cops are a protected
class.

I can hear BTR howling from here.

Erin is giving a talk to a dozen 12-year-olds at school because, yeah
there’s no possible reason. A really obnoxious black girl calls her a liar
because her brother is in prison for drugs. Erin has several meetings with
this little bitch and there’s not one where somebody shouldn’t have hit her
in the mouth. Anyway Erin looks into the case and it seems that the public
defender didn’t tell her that this druggie brother who is guilty as hell
was guardian for this obnoxious little girl. It seems that the law in New
York is that if you are taking care of someone you have a get out of jail
free card. So they just let him go.

I can hear BTR howling from here.

Garrett is invited to family dinner for no real reason I understood. Sean
shows his class project which is a caricature of his family. Garrett was
invited to explain to Sean how he should present this so the teacher will
like it. No none of this made any sense. The family in general rags on the
caricature. But this was a truly professional piece of art. It would get
the job the kid a job anywhere appropriate. And they all acted like it was
some sort of third grade scrawl where you draw mommy and your house.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-12 (Friday)

<uvfq66$3g0g2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=222242&group=rec.arts.tv#222242

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 22:39:18 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 05:39 UTC

On 4/13/2024 6:23 PM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> On 4/13/24 5:34 PM, Arthur Lipscomb wrote:

>>> Which one do you have left to go?
>>>
>>> Perhaps more importantly, which do you intend to skip?
>>
>> I have a Hitchcock blu-ray box set.  A while back I watched: Rope,
>> Rear Window, The Man Who Knew Too Much, Vertigo, and Dial M For Murder
>> (off of TCM).  Time really flies!  I could have sworn I watched these
>> a year or less ago, but it was actually 2 years ago.  Yesterday I
>> watched The Birds and today I'm watching my Psycho 4K box set.
>>
>> In the Hitchcock blu-ray box set that I didn't watch: Marnie,
>> Saboteur, Shadow of a Doubt, The Trouble with Harry, Torn Curtain,
>> Topaz, Frenzy, and Family Plot.  I'm not sure if I've seen any of
>> these before.  I'm vaguely aware of the plot of The Trouble with
>> Harry, but that doesn't mean I seen it before.  Same goes for
>> "Frenzy."  Although if they did a remake, *maybe* I saw the remake.  I
>> really don't know for sure.  The set also includes 7 episodes of
>> Hitchcock Presents and 3 episodes of The Hitchcock Hour.  I don't know
>> which episodes are included.
>
> You can skip "The 39 Steps", that's for sure!!
>
>> As an aside, something very weird has been going on with my news
>> reader for a long while.  One of the issues I occasional experience is
>> when I click on a post it shows as if someone else sent it.  That's
>> not something that's easy to catch, but it happens to my posts too.
>> The only way I knew for sure this posted is because you responded to
>> it.  On my end, I could see it was sent, but couldn't see the actual
>> post. Every time I clicked it Ian's post appeared instead.  It's
>> getting worse and worse, I click on one person's post but someone
>> else's' post appears. I'm going to have uninstall and reinstall
>> Thunderbird or maybe use a different newsreader.  This is getting out
>> of hand.
>
> Are you Mac, or PC?
>
> I would definitely check for updates, and if no update is available, try
> a reinstall.

PC. At some point I'll probably dedicate some time to a proper trouble
shoot and reinstall.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-12 (Friday)

<uvfqmk$3g0g2$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=222243&group=rec.arts.tv#222243

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 22:48:04 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 05:48 UTC

On 4/13/2024 8:04 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>>> Which one do you have left to go?
>>>
>>> Perhaps more importantly, which do you intend to skip?
>>>

>> I have a Hitchcock blu-ray box set. A while back I watched: Rope, Rear
>> Window, The Man Who Knew Too Much, Vertigo, and Dial M For Murder (off
>> of TCM). Time really flies! I could have sworn I watched these a year
>> or less ago, but it was actually 2 years ago. Yesterday I watched The
>> Birds and today I'm watching my Psycho 4K box set.
>>
>> In the Hitchcock blu-ray box set that I didn't watch: Marnie, Saboteur,
>> Shadow of a Doubt, The Trouble with Harry, Torn Curtain, Topaz, Frenzy,
>> and Family Plot. I'm not sure if I've seen any of these before. I'm
>> vaguely aware of the plot of The Trouble with Harry, but that doesn't
>> mean I seen it before. Same goes for "Frenzy." Although if they did a
>> remake, *maybe* I saw the remake. I really don't know for sure. The
>> set also includes 7 episodes of Hitchcock Presents and 3 episodes of The
>> Hitchcock Hour. I don't know which episodes are included.
>>

> Please tell me you’re going to watch NORTH BY NORTHWEST. It’s my very
> favorite Hitchcock! And it’s the source of in jokes in lots of other movies
> and TV shows that you’ll finally get :-)

I had to double check. I do have that one in the box set. I'm not sure
how I missed listing it. I'm not familiar enough with Hitchcock to know
which ones to watch or not watch, other than the ones I've already seen
before and know I like. I think I *might* have watched it before. But
I don't remember it. I know the crop duster scene is iconic which makes
it really hard to know if it's a memory from watching the movie or the
umpteen parodies and clips I've watched over the years.

The set isn't going anywhere. I may get around to watching it. What
does it pair with? How about "His Girl Friday?"

Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-12 (Friday)

<1884481542.734810270.699245.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=222271&group=rec.arts.tv#222271

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 11:59:52 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 18:59 UTC

Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
> On 4/13/2024 8:04 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>> Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>>> I have a Hitchcock blu-ray box set. A while back I watched: Rope, Rear
>>> Window, The Man Who Knew Too Much, Vertigo, and Dial M For Murder (off
>>> of TCM). Time really flies! I could have sworn I watched these a year
>>> or less ago, but it was actually 2 years ago. Yesterday I watched The
>>> Birds and today I'm watching my Psycho 4K box set.
>>>
>>> In the Hitchcock blu-ray box set that I didn't watch: Marnie, Saboteur,
>>> Shadow of a Doubt, The Trouble with Harry, Torn Curtain, Topaz, Frenzy,
>>> and Family Plot. I'm not sure if I've seen any of these before. I'm
>>> vaguely aware of the plot of The Trouble with Harry, but that doesn't
>>> mean I seen it before. Same goes for "Frenzy." Although if they did a
>>> remake, *maybe* I saw the remake. I really don't know for sure. The
>>> set also includes 7 episodes of Hitchcock Presents and 3 episodes of The
>>> Hitchcock Hour. I don't know which episodes are included.
>>>

>> Please tell me you’re going to watch NORTH BY NORTHWEST. It’s my very
>> favorite Hitchcock! And it’s the source of in jokes in lots of other movies
>> and TV shows that you’ll finally get :-)
>>

> I had to double check. I do have that one in the box set. I'm not sure
> how I missed listing it. I'm not familiar enough with Hitchcock to know
> which ones to watch or not watch, other than the ones I've already seen
> before and know I like. I think I *might* have watched it before. But
> I don't remember it. I know the crop duster scene is iconic which makes
> it really hard to know if it's a memory from watching the movie or the
> umpteen parodies and clips I've watched over the years.
>
> The set isn't going anywhere. I may get around to watching it. What
> does it pair with? How about "His Girl Friday?"

No. If you’re going to pair it with something starring Cary Grant, I’d go
oddball. Like operation petticoat.

Or, you know, to catch a thief. That actually would be a pretty good
pairing. A lot of things in common, from the same era. Yeah. I like that.

If you’re looking to pair “his girl Friday“ I’d go with my second favorite
Cary Grant movie “bringing up baby“

Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-12 (Friday)

<uvoqj8$1m1v6$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=222506&group=rec.arts.tv#222506

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 04:30:57 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 08:30 UTC

In article <uvebr7$33cc6$1@dont-email.me>, arthur@alum.calberkeley.org wrote:

>Fallout (Amazon Prime) New series based on a video game about survivors
>in a post-apocalyptic America. The premier mostly focuses on a group of
>survivors living in a massive underground bunker that is based on a sort
>of stylized futuristic 60s vibe.

I thought it was more of a space-age 1950's vibe.

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-12 (Friday)

<973627538.735106903.602357.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=222574&group=rec.arts.tv#222574

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 21:25:51 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 04:25 UTC

Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
> In article <uvebr7$33cc6$1@dont-email.me>, arthur@alum.calberkeley.org wrote:
>
>> Fallout (Amazon Prime) New series based on a video game about survivors
>> in a post-apocalyptic America. The premier mostly focuses on a group of
>> survivors living in a massive underground bunker that is based on a sort
>> of stylized futuristic 60s vibe.
>
> I thought it was more of a space-age 1950's vibe.

I would agree. Those TV sets were 1950s.

> --
> Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-12 (Friday)

<uvq890$5huu$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=222575&group=rec.arts.tv#222575

From: suz...@imbris.com (suzeeq)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 21:41:04 -0700
 by: suzeeq - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 04:41 UTC

On 4/17/2024 9:25 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
>> In article <uvebr7$33cc6$1@dont-email.me>, arthur@alum.calberkeley.org wrote:
>>
>>> Fallout (Amazon Prime) New series based on a video game about survivors
>>> in a post-apocalyptic America. The premier mostly focuses on a group of
>>> survivors living in a massive underground bunker that is based on a sort
>>> of stylized futuristic 60s vibe.
>>
>> I thought it was more of a space-age 1950's vibe.
>
> I would agree. Those TV sets were 1950s.

And the clothing and music too.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-12 (Friday)

<4qb12j53m52v8r2ld4vq694ogni0cmvdan@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=222577&group=rec.arts.tv#222577

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 01:27:55 -0400
 by: shawn - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 05:27 UTC

On Wed, 17 Apr 2024 21:41:04 -0700, suzeeq <suzeeq@imbris.com> wrote:

>On 4/17/2024 9:25 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:

>>> I thought it was more of a space-age 1950's vibe.
>>
>> I would agree. Those TV sets were 1950s.
>
>And the clothing and music too.

Which is exactly what one would expect since the show is based off the
games.