Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-12 (Friday)
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 20:04:02 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 03:04 UTC

anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
> Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:
>> What did you watch?
>
> Hey, thanks for asking!
>
> I watched a lot of episodes of FLIPPER sometime subtitled The New
> Adventures. This is the one that shot three episodes in Florida, and then
> moved to Australia and had the most cast turnover you’ve ever seen. It’s
> also the one with Jessica Alba as the jailbait girl who could make a good
> dog break his leash. Her character is totally perplexing. first she just
> seems to be some homeless girl who lives on the beach then at one point she
> at least has a bicycle and then at one point she mentions what color her
> bedroom is. There’s a throwaway about her mother deserting her and another
> about her having a sister. But we never find out what’s going on or who is
> her legal guardian or what. Also, they write her like a preteen who punches
> boys in the arm when they try to kiss her. There’s a boy her own age that
> she’s always getting into trouble, getting him to steal, airplanes and navy
> submarines (!) And such. Of course, flipper will save them. And there’s
> this plot about her thinking mermaids are real and thinking she’s a mermaid
> and it’s all very strange and muddled.
>
> It starts out with the lead being a new actor, playing the character of the
> incredibly annoying bud that they added to the original show. His older
> brother Sandy shows up in one episode. There’s also this woman from the
> Navy who is the mother of the boy who likes Maya. At the end of the first
> season they give Bud a flashback episode and then he’s never seen again.
> That happens a lot on this show.
>
> Season two begins with an all new cast except for Jessica Alba (Maya) as
> new people run the dolphin Institute and also do search and rescue.
>
> Season two ends with Maya, trapped in a storm drain having a flashback
> episode. (guess what happens to her next season?) And flipper inexplicably
> traverses the storm drains to rescue her.
>
> Season three begins with them saying Maya (who is 16 last we heard) went
> off with the lead female from season two to do research in the red Sea! The
> lead male from season two has completely forgotten the lead female, and is
> marrying somebody new we’ve never heard of who has two incredibly annoying
> kids. We’re talking Jody and Buffy from family affair annoying here.
> Somewhat inexplicably the father of the season two female lead stays with
> the show even though the only reason he was there was to reconnect with his
> daughter, but he gets fewer and fewer episodes until he’s gone.
>
> Season four kind of stabilizes, except that the lead picks up an annoying
> sister, who is a juvenile delinquent. And it ends with the horrible death
> of flipper. No, seriously.
>
> Hard to recommend unless you want to see Jessica Alba before her prime. If
> she’s your goal, I would recommend INTO THE BLUE.
>

> I don’t remember if I mentioned that Apple gave me a free month of Apple TV
> [...]

I forgot!

BLUE BLOODS.

A furious to the point of hysteria Baker enters Frank’s office in a lovely
gray, tweed frock, and tells him someone we’ve never heard of is there to
see him. It turns out to be Garrett who has used a fake name to get past
Baker’s gatekeeperness. Since when does Garrett Need Baker’s permission to
see the PC? Since when would Baker let somebody she’d never heard of in?

Garrett has brought with him a neighbor who is an Uber driver. Six months
ago she double parked to pick up a food order and her car was stolen. When
it was recovered, they found drugs in it. Even though they know it’s the
car thieves that brought the drugs, the DAs office won’t return the car.
Even though Frank shouldn’t do anything about this he does and the cops
tell him that it’s Erin Reagan, who won’t release the car.

Frank goes to see Erin and she doesn’t know anything about it and she’s mad
at Frank for not assuming it was just some low level flunky who screwed up.
Why would he assume that? The cops named her. They named her name, by name.
Anyway, they get it taken care of. But not before Erin drops off the roast
of the week. I don’t understand that. The different kids take turns
dropping off the roast of the week. Isn’t that an incredible waste of time
and energy? And most of the time they don’t have roast. You think Frank
could find a butcher that delivered. What’s Henry do all day anyway? He
and Jamie didn’t do anything this week but eat.

A mother comes home from doing the laundry and finds the door to her crummy
apartment open and her daughter missing. Of course, Danny catches the case
because that’s what major case does, missing foreign children in crummy
neighborhoods. Anyway, there’s voodoo involved when it turns out the kid
was evil and possessed. A hot black cop who is their voodoo expert shows up
and is making the moves on Baez and Danny is all off and sulking. maybe
he’ll finally wise up and go hit on Jennifer Esposito!

Crazy Eddie has a new partner, female black. Partner is all ticked off
because the fanciest grade school in New York just turned down her kid. It
must be racism. It can’t have been anything else like they blew the
interview and how was she gonna afford the fanciest grade school in New
York anyway?

Crazy Eddie vows to take the evil school down. Her plan is just crazy
enough to work! She’s going to borrow somebody’s kid and go in and apply
and if they accept her clearly, they must’ve turned down the black
candidate by racism because the cases aren’t anything alike are they? so
they borrow the captains kid and at the door to the school the captain
double crosses them and said she’s taking in the kid herself because this
is the fanciest school in New York and if they let her in then she’s gonna
let the kid go there. Because the school is going to still let them in even
though they applied as part of a sting with false information.

Anyway they get turned down too and they figure out it’s because the
admissions woman doesn’t like cops so Eddie runs an operation against them
and gets subpoenas and is going to look at all this particular women’s
admissions and break everything wide open if she doesn’t like cops because
that’s what street cops do. And because apparently cops are a protected
class.

I can hear BTR howling from here.

Erin is giving a talk to a dozen 12-year-olds at school because, yeah
there’s no possible reason. A really obnoxious black girl calls her a liar
because her brother is in prison for drugs. Erin has several meetings with
this little bitch and there’s not one where somebody shouldn’t have hit her
in the mouth. Anyway Erin looks into the case and it seems that the public
defender didn’t tell her that this druggie brother who is guilty as hell
was guardian for this obnoxious little girl. It seems that the law in New
York is that if you are taking care of someone you have a get out of jail
free card. So they just let him go.

I can hear BTR howling from here.

Garrett is invited to family dinner for no real reason I understood. Sean
shows his class project which is a caricature of his family. Garrett was
invited to explain to Sean how he should present this so the teacher will
like it. No none of this made any sense. The family in general rags on the
caricature. But this was a truly professional piece of art. It would get
the job the kid a job anywhere appropriate. And they all acted like it was
some sort of third grade scrawl where you draw mommy and your house.

BTR can hear me howling from there.

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o What Did You Watch? 2024-04-12 (Friday)

By: Ian J. Ball on Sat, 13 Apr 2024

15Ian J. Ball