From: bluesh...@indigo.news (Blueshirt)
Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Subject: Get Back!
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 14:57:10 +0000
 by: Blueshirt - Sun, 28 Nov 2021 14:57 UTC

Just finished watching the third part on Disney+ and this was really
really good! I'm not sure a casual viewer would have made it past the 30
minute mark of part one, but it's great for a fan to see the bigger
picture of the events we got to see in the "Let It Be" documentary.
Peter Jackson has done a brilliant job on this.

Re: Get Back!

<6b50c98a-b1e5-452e-8d4a-50708c05b678n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2246&group=rec.music.beatles#2246

Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 22:00:35 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Get Back!
From: swjenkin...@gmail.com (cuppajoe2go)
 by: cuppajoe2go - Mon, 29 Nov 2021 06:00 UTC

On Sunday, November 28, 2021 at 6:57:12 AM UTC-8, Blueshirt wrote:
> Just finished watching the third part on Disney+ and this was really
> really good! I'm not sure a casual viewer would have made it past the 30
> minute mark of part one, but it's great for a fan to see the bigger
> picture of the events we got to see in the "Let It Be" documentary.
> Peter Jackson has done a brilliant job on this.

Beyond riveting. Only grateful I made it this far to see this. Afraid my capability of comprehension will be severely compromised by the time they uncover the lost secret film footage of the recording of "Revolver" fifty years from now :-/

Re: Get Back!

<f159b218-e630-414c-875c-c04528fbeab2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2248&group=rec.music.beatles#2248

Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 02:44:17 -0800 (PST)
From: seilerb...@gmail.com (Tom Seiler)
 by: Tom Seiler - Mon, 29 Nov 2021 10:44 UTC

On Monday, November 29, 2021 at 1:00:37 AM UTC-5, cuppajoe2go wrote:
> On Sunday, November 28, 2021 at 6:57:12 AM UTC-8, Blueshirt wrote:
> > Just finished watching the third part on Disney+ and this was really
> > really good! I'm not sure a casual viewer would have made it past the 30
> > minute mark of part one, but it's great for a fan to see the bigger
> > picture of the events we got to see in the "Let It Be" documentary.
> > Peter Jackson has done a brilliant job on this.
> Beyond riveting. Only grateful I made it this far to see this. Afraid my capability of comprehension will be severely compromised by the time they uncover the lost secret film footage of the recording of "Revolver" fifty years from now :-/
Long time Beatle fan here and I thought it sucked. The only good parts for me was when Billy showed up and the concert on the roof.

Re: Get Back!

<qVsaYEdynnKKhxGstpSqMECndxBRgSgH@news.usenet.farm>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2249&group=rec.music.beatles#2249

From: foo...@bar.baz (Derek Smalls)
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 21 12:59:18 UTC
Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
 by: Derek Smalls - Mon, 29 Nov 2021 12:59 UTC

On 29/11/2021 10:44, Tom Seiler wrote:
> On Monday, November 29, 2021 at 1:00:37 AM UTC-5, cuppajoe2go wrote:
>> On Sunday, November 28, 2021 at 6:57:12 AM UTC-8, Blueshirt wrote:
>>> Just finished watching the third part on Disney+ and this was really
>>> really good! I'm not sure a casual viewer would have made it past the 30
>>> minute mark of part one, but it's great for a fan to see the bigger
>>> picture of the events we got to see in the "Let It Be" documentary.
>>> Peter Jackson has done a brilliant job on this.
>> Beyond riveting. Only grateful I made it this far to see this. Afraid my capability of comprehension will be severely compromised by the time they uncover the lost secret film footage of the recording of "Revolver" fifty years from now :-/
> Long time Beatle fan here and I thought it sucked. The only good parts for me was when Billy showed up and the concert on the roof.

Completely agree, It's dull as dishwater (I got through part 1, but
won't be bothering with the rest).

I always though that the flim was bad, but this is orders of magnitude
worse. I'll settle for my bootleg of the Nagra Tapes.

FWIW, In the early 90's, I worked with Ken Reynolds (one of the flim's
original boom swingerrs).

--
Guess Who?

Re: Get Back!

<Te2dnRCCx4bsojj8nZ2dnUU7-I2dnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2256&group=rec.music.beatles#2256

Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2021 10:00:31 +1300
Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
From: geo...@nospamgeoffwood.org (geoff)
 by: geoff - Mon, 29 Nov 2021 21:00 UTC

On 29/11/2021 11:44 pm, Tom Seiler wrote:
> On Monday, November 29, 2021 at 1:00:37 AM UTC-5, cuppajoe2go wrote:
>> On Sunday, November 28, 2021 at 6:57:12 AM UTC-8, Blueshirt wrote:
>>> Just finished watching the third part on Disney+ and this was really
>>> really good! I'm not sure a casual viewer would have made it past the 30
>>> minute mark of part one, but it's great for a fan to see the bigger
>>> picture of the events we got to see in the "Let It Be" documentary.
>>> Peter Jackson has done a brilliant job on this.
>> Beyond riveting. Only grateful I made it this far to see this. Afraid my capability of comprehension will be severely compromised by the time they uncover the lost secret film footage of the recording of "Revolver" fifty years from now :-/
> Long time Beatle fan here and I thought it sucked. The only good parts for me was when Billy showed up and the concert on the roof.

Can't understand how a Beatles fan could not be enthralled by the whole
thing. Maybe just a 'Beatles Music' fan ?

geoff

Re: Get Back!

<J6CdnYwIN_Gn3Dj8nZ2dnUU7-S_NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2257&group=rec.music.beatles#2257

Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2021 10:08:06 +1300
Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
From: geo...@nospamgeoffwood.org (geoff)
 by: geoff - Mon, 29 Nov 2021 21:08 UTC

On 29/11/2021 12:59 pm, Derek Smalls wrote:
> On 29/11/2021 10:44, Tom Seiler wrote:
>>> Beyond riveting. Only grateful I made it this far to see this. Afraid
>>> my capability of comprehension will be severely compromised by the
>>> time they uncover the lost secret film footage of the recording of
>>> "Revolver" fifty years from now :-/
>> Long time Beatle fan here and I thought it sucked. The only good parts
>> for me was when Billy showed up and the concert on the roof.
>>

> Completely agree, It's dull as dishwater (I got through part 1, but
> won't be bothering with the rest).

Sad for you, not actually wanting to see how the fantastic music
evolved, and the personalities processes and history behind it.

> I always though that the flim was bad, but this is orders of magnitude
> worse. I'll settle for my bootleg of the Nagra Tapes.

Not even slightly. Of course liking something is subjective, and
probably says more about the person than the object in question.

Do the Nagra tapes say something significantly different ? Because
surely they could only be 'even more bad' than the same thing, abridged,
with only the room sound, and without pictures.

> FWIW, In the early 90's, I worked with Ken Reynolds (one of the flim's
> original boom swingerrs).
>
> --
> Guess Who?

Never was into the Guess Who. The Who were (are) great though ... (Ha ha)

geoff

Re: Get Back!

<58d6cd51-9459-4d2a-8de5-5df796bc9b19n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2260&group=rec.music.beatles#2260

Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 14:06:33 -0800 (PST)
From: norbertk...@gmail.com (Norbert K)
 by: Norbert K - Mon, 29 Nov 2021 22:06 UTC

On Monday, November 29, 2021 at 4:08:17 PM UTC-5, geoff wrote:
> On 29/11/2021 12:59 pm, Derek Smalls wrote:
> >> Long time Beatle fan here and I thought it sucked. The only good parts
> >> for me was when Billy showed up and the concert on the roof.
> >>

> > Completely agree, It's dull as dishwater (I got through part 1, but
> > won't be bothering with the rest).
> Sad for you, not actually wanting to see how the fantastic music
> evolved, and the personalities processes and history behind it.
> >
> > I always though that the flim was bad, but this is orders of magnitude
> > worse. I'll settle for my bootleg of the Nagra Tapes.
> Not even slightly. Of course liking something is subjective, and
> probably says more about the person than the object in question.
>
> Do the Nagra tapes say something significantly different ? Because
> surely they could only be 'even more bad' than the same thing, abridged,
> with only the room sound, and without pictures.
> >
> > FWIW, In the early 90's, I worked with Ken Reynolds (one of the flim's
> > original boom swingerrs).
> >
> > --
> > Guess Who?
> Never was into the Guess Who. The Who were (are) great though ... (Ha ha)
>
> geoff

How about "No Time" by the Guess Who? I think it's almost Who's Next-worthy (the highest compliment I pay to songs) in its perfection. The problem is, nothing else on American Woman is nearly so good.

Re: Get Back!

<qL6dnY9pq8YwyTj8nZ2dnUU7-L3NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2261&group=rec.music.beatles#2261

Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2021 11:31:04 +1300
Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
From: geo...@nospamgeoffwood.org (geoff)
 by: geoff - Mon, 29 Nov 2021 22:31 UTC

On 30/11/2021 11:06 am, Norbert K wrote:
> On Monday, November 29, 2021 at 4:08:17 PM UTC-5, geoff wrote:
>>>>

>>> Completely agree, It's dull as dishwater (I got through part 1, but
>>> won't be bothering with the rest).
>> Sad for you, not actually wanting to see how the fantastic music
>> evolved, and the personalities processes and history behind it.
>>>
>>> I always though that the flim was bad, but this is orders of magnitude
>>> worse. I'll settle for my bootleg of the Nagra Tapes.
>> Not even slightly. Of course liking something is subjective, and
>> probably says more about the person than the object in question.
>>
>> Do the Nagra tapes say something significantly different ? Because
>> surely they could only be 'even more bad' than the same thing, abridged,
>> with only the room sound, and without pictures.
>>>
>>> FWIW, In the early 90's, I worked with Ken Reynolds (one of the flim's
>>> original boom swingerrs).
>>>
>>> --
>>> Guess Who?
>> Never was into the Guess Who. The Who were (are) great though ... (Ha ha)
>>
>> geoff
>
> How about "No Time" by the Guess Who? I think it's almost Who's Next-worthy (the highest compliment I pay to songs) in its perfection. The problem is, nothing else on American Woman is nearly so good.

'No Time" sound to me like a cross between The Beatles and The Who, so
can't be bad !

geoff

Re: Get Back!

<m02cqgtofgbnt00nmp0qu1loh4hfe8g316@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2262&group=rec.music.beatles#2262

From: RexMu...@invalid.org (Rex Mundi)
Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2021 06:18:11 -0500
 by: Rex Mundi - Tue, 30 Nov 2021 11:18 UTC

On Sun, 28 Nov 2021 22:00:35 -0800 (PST), cuppajoe2go
<swjenkins12@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Sunday, November 28, 2021 at 6:57:12 AM UTC-8, Blueshirt wrote:
>> Just finished watching the third part on Disney+ and this was really
>> really good! I'm not sure a casual viewer would have made it past the 30
>> minute mark of part one, but it's great for a fan to see the bigger
>> picture of the events we got to see in the "Let It Be" documentary.
>> Peter Jackson has done a brilliant job on this.
>
>Beyond riveting. Only grateful I made it this far to see this. Afraid my capability of comprehension will be severely compromised by the time they uncover the lost secret film footage of the recording of "Revolver" fifty years from now :-/

I watched it all and enjoyed much of it bit but found parts to be
tedious. Apparently George Martin did as well.

Re: Get Back!

<f552137f-280b-4fd1-81c7-31ed9de450efn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2263&group=rec.music.beatles#2263

Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2021 08:52:59 -0800 (PST)
From: curtissd...@gmail.com (curtis...@gmail.com)
 by: curtis...@gmail.com - Tue, 30 Nov 2021 16:52 UTC

On Sunday, November 28, 2021 at 9:57:12 AM UTC-5, Blueshirt wrote:
> Just finished watching the third part on Disney+ and this was really
> really good! I'm not sure a casual viewer would have made it past the 30
> minute mark of part one, but it's great for a fan to see the bigger
> picture of the events we got to see in the "Let It Be" documentary.
> Peter Jackson has done a brilliant job on this.

Paul's spontaneous creation of "Get Back" is amazing! I love his bass strumming. Wish he'd developed that.

And the footage of young Mary McCartney reacting to Yoko's "singing" is charming.

Re: Get Back!

<uO2dnQOaEZI6Ljv8nZ2dnUU7-XmdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2265&group=rec.music.beatles#2265

Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2021 12:28:38 +1300
Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
From: geo...@nospamgeoffwood.org (geoff)
 by: geoff - Tue, 30 Nov 2021 23:28 UTC

On 1/12/2021 12:18 am, Rex Mundi wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Nov 2021 22:00:35 -0800 (PST), cuppajoe2go
> <swjenkins12@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sunday, November 28, 2021 at 6:57:12 AM UTC-8, Blueshirt wrote:
>>> Just finished watching the third part on Disney+ and this was really
>>> really good! I'm not sure a casual viewer would have made it past the 30
>>> minute mark of part one, but it's great for a fan to see the bigger
>>> picture of the events we got to see in the "Let It Be" documentary.
>>> Peter Jackson has done a brilliant job on this.
>>
>> Beyond riveting. Only grateful I made it this far to see this. Afraid my capability of comprehension will be severely compromised by the time they uncover the lost secret film footage of the recording of "Revolver" fifty years from now :-/
>
> I watched it all and enjoyed much of it bit but found parts to be
> tedious. Apparently George Martin did as well.

Yes. That is an essential part of the history, and even in that I find
interest.

geoff

Re: Get Back!

<3aJpJ.978829$AkN1.65161@fx14.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2266&group=rec.music.beatles#2266

From: mat...@myemail.invalid (Matt)
Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2021 11:39:43 GMT
 by: Matt - Wed, 1 Dec 2021 11:39 UTC

On 28 Nov 2021 at 15:57:10 CET, "Blueshirt" <blueshirt@indigo.news> wrote:

> Just finished watching the third part on Disney+ and this was really
> really good! I'm not sure a casual viewer would have made it past the 30
> minute mark of part one, but it's great for a fan to see the bigger
> picture of the events we got to see in the "Let It Be" documentary.
> Peter Jackson has done a brilliant job on this.

First of all, sorry for my bad English, my first language is Spanish.

Last night I saw half of the first part and I find it very interesting, it's
like being there.
What is evident, and for me a serious error, is the total lack of management.
No one with the experience and common sense to better organize everything,
rest times,
better knowledge and use of microphones, amplification, etc.

The best band in the world trying to compose new songs in a huge, cold, huge
building,

By then the bands were organized much better, The Beatles deserved the best
professionals
to help them in their creation, those seen in the series seem like casual
friends.

Anyway, nobody can turn back time, and the series is very interesting,
fascinating!

Re: Get Back!

<gP2dnQ8yDrX1bzr8nZ2dnUU7-RfNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2273&group=rec.music.beatles#2273

Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2021 11:08:35 +1300
Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
From: geo...@nospamgeoffwood.org (geoff)
 by: geoff - Wed, 1 Dec 2021 22:08 UTC

On 2/12/2021 12:39 am, Matt wrote:
> On 28 Nov 2021 at 15:57:10 CET, "Blueshirt" <blueshirt@indigo.news> wrote:
>
>> Just finished watching the third part on Disney+ and this was really
>> really good! I'm not sure a casual viewer would have made it past the 30
>> minute mark of part one, but it's great for a fan to see the bigger
>> picture of the events we got to see in the "Let It Be" documentary.
>> Peter Jackson has done a brilliant job on this.
>

> First of all, sorry for my bad English, my first language is Spanish.

Nosotros no tenemos una problema con tu ingles. Es bastante bueño ;- ).

> Last night I saw half of the first part and I find it very interesting, it's
> like being there.
> What is evident, and for me a serious error, is the total lack of management.
> No one with the experience and common sense to better organize everything,
> rest times,
> better knowledge and use of microphones, amplification, etc.

It was primarily a composing session, at least at the start. And the
gear used was 'par for the course' in the circumstances.

And there was management, for better or for worse, but it needed to be
supplied by Paul it seems. Yes, an assertive producer would have helped.
Or maybe it just turned out OK anyway.

> The best band in the world trying to compose new songs in a huge, cold, huge
> building,

Bleak indeed.

> By then the bands were organized much better, The Beatles deserved the best
> professionals
> to help them in their creation, those seen in the series seem like casual
> friends.

Maybe the band had actively rejected that input ?

> Anyway, nobody can turn back time, and the series is very interesting,
> fascinating!

Agreed.

geoff

Re: Get Back!

<gXSpJ.195149$v1N3.67076@fx07.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2274&group=rec.music.beatles#2274

From: mat...@myemail.invalid (Matt)
Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2021 22:46:36 GMT
 by: Matt - Wed, 1 Dec 2021 22:46 UTC

On 1 Dec 2021 at 23:08:35 CET, "geoff" <geoff@nospamgeoffwood.org> wrote:

> On 2/12/2021 12:39 am, Matt wrote:
>> On 28 Nov 2021 at 15:57:10 CET, "Blueshirt" <blueshirt@indigo.news> wrote:
>>
>>> Just finished watching the third part on Disney+ and this was really
>>> really good! I'm not sure a casual viewer would have made it past the 30
>>> minute mark of part one, but it's great for a fan to see the bigger
>>> picture of the events we got to see in the "Let It Be" documentary.
>>> Peter Jackson has done a brilliant job on this.
>>

>> First of all, sorry for my bad English, my first language is Spanish.
>

> Nosotros no tenemos una problema con tu ingles. Es bastante bueño ;- ).

Muchas gracias geoff!...no tan bueno como tu español que es excelente :0)

>> Last night I saw half of the first part and I find it very interesting, it's
>> like being there.
>> What is evident, and for me a serious error, is the total lack of management.
>> No one with the experience and common sense to better organize everything,
>> rest times,
>> better knowledge and use of microphones, amplification, etc.
>
> It was primarily a composing session, at least at the start. And the
> gear used was 'par for the course' in the circumstances.
>
> And there was management, for better or for worse, but it needed to be
> supplied by Paul it seems. Yes, an assertive producer would have helped.
> Or maybe it just turned out OK anyway.

Yes I think you are right,

>> The best band in the world trying to compose new songs in a huge, cold, huge
>> building,
>
> Bleak indeed.
>

>> By then the bands were organized much better, The Beatles deserved the best
>> professionals
>> to help them in their creation, those seen in the series seem like casual
>> friends.
>
> Maybe the band had actively rejected that input ?

Very likely, Paul at one point got angry and said "I can't continue with the
cameras recording everything"

>> Anyway, nobody can turn back time, and the series is very interesting,
>> fascinating!
>>

> Agreed.
>
> geoff

I think the editor has been very considerate of Yoko, for an hour he didn't
even open his mouth :-)
George looks tired and quite discouraged, Paul pushes everything. Very
interesting!

Regards, Matt.

Re: Get Back!

<q6mdnarMsafFjzX8nZ2dnUU7-LmdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2275&group=rec.music.beatles#2275

Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2021 13:24:53 +1300
Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
From: geo...@nospamgeoffwood.org (geoff)
 by: geoff - Thu, 2 Dec 2021 00:24 UTC

On 2/12/2021 11:46 am, Matt wrote:
> On 1 Dec 2021 at 23:08:35 CET, "geoff" <geoff@nospamgeoffwood.org> wrote:

>>> First of all, sorry for my bad English, my first language is Spanish.
>>

>> Nosotros no tenemos una problema con tu ingles. Es bastante bueño ;- ).
>
> Muchas gracias geoff!...no tan bueno como tu español que es excelente :0)

Desde cuatro años en Mexico. Pero me olbido muchas palabras y grammatica ...

geoff

Re: Get Back!

<FIcqJ.172781$LtS3.141038@fx08.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2279&group=rec.music.beatles#2279

From: mat...@myemail.invalid (Matt)
Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2021 23:32:53 GMT
 by: Matt - Thu, 2 Dec 2021 23:32 UTC

On 2 Dec 2021 at 01:24:53 CET, "geoff" <geoff@nospamgeoffwood.org> wrote:

> On 2/12/2021 11:46 am, Matt wrote:

>>> Nosotros no tenemos una problema con tu ingles. Es bastante bueño ;- ).
>>
>> Muchas gracias geoff!...no tan bueno como tu español que es excelente :0)
>
> Desde cuatro años en Mexico. Pero me olbido muchas palabras y grammatica ...
>
> geoff

Yo naci en Argentina y luego vivi 30 años en california, ahora vivo en España
desde
hace 6 años, y me rersulta increible como voy perdiendo el ingles al no estar
obligado
a hablarlo, a trabajar utilizándolo.

-------------

I was born in Argentina and then lived 30 years in California, now I live in
Spain since
6 years ago, and I find it incredible how I am losing English by not being
obliged
to speak it, to work using it.

Regards,
Matt.

Re: Get Back!

<1646d6a1-ea0e-47f4-ae73-16c067412692n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2283&group=rec.music.beatles#2283

Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2021 10:43:39 -0800 (PST)
From: pwolf...@gmail.com (P-Dub)
 by: P-Dub - Fri, 3 Dec 2021 18:43 UTC

On Wednesday, December 1, 2021 at 6:39:46 AM UTC-5, Matt wrote:
> On 28 Nov 2021 at 15:57:10 CET, "Blueshirt" <blue...@indigo.news> wrote:
>
> > Just finished watching the third part on Disney+ and this was really
> > really good! I'm not sure a casual viewer would have made it past the 30
> > minute mark of part one, but it's great for a fan to see the bigger
> > picture of the events we got to see in the "Let It Be" documentary.
> > Peter Jackson has done a brilliant job on this.
> First of all, sorry for my bad English, my first language is Spanish.
>
> Last night I saw half of the first part and I find it very interesting, it's
> like being there.
> What is evident, and for me a serious error, is the total lack of management.
> No one with the experience and common sense to better organize everything,
> rest times,
> better knowledge and use of microphones, amplification, etc.
>
> The best band in the world trying to compose new songs in a huge, cold, huge
> building,
>
> By then the bands were organized much better, The Beatles deserved the best
> professionals
> to help them in their creation, those seen in the series seem like casual
> friends.
>
> Anyway, nobody can turn back time, and the series is very interesting,
> fascinating!

This series is awesome. I'm at the end of part 2 now. It's hilarious that they set out to do a live show and a movie. By the time we get to the end of part 2 - they still haven't figurered out what they are actually doing - but they've already written or played a dozen new songs. I love to see them clowning around. It's not always enthralling. It's sometimes boring for them too.

As far as the technical issues - the Beatles basically asked the techies to build a new soundstage and studio over the weekend (when they moved from Twickenham to Saville Row). Magic Alex and the rest of these guys - were overwhelmed. The equipment was questionable. Yet these guys eventually got it done. Interesting!

I'm loving this.

Re: Get Back!

<super70s-239C18.19373305122021@reader02.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2294&group=rec.music.beatles#2294

From: super...@super70s.invalid (super70s)
Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2021 19:37:33 -0600
 by: super70s - Mon, 6 Dec 2021 01:37 UTC

In article <58d6cd51-9459-4d2a-8de5-5df796bc9b19n@googlegroups.com>,
Norbert K <norbertkosky69@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Monday, November 29, 2021 at 4:08:17 PM UTC-5, geoff wrote:
> > On 29/11/2021 12:59 pm, Derek Smalls wrote:
> > > --
> > > Guess Who?
> > Never was into the Guess Who. The Who were (are) great though ... (Ha ha)
> >
> > geoff
>
> How about "No Time" by the Guess Who? I think it's almost Who's Next-worthy
> (the highest compliment I pay to songs) in its perfection. The problem is,
> nothing else on American Woman is nearly so good.

The only Guess Who album I liked all the way through was Road Food and
that was after Bachman left the group. Any hits collection of theirs
though is a must have, I have The Track Record Collection.

Re: Get Back!

<07c666c4-25c3-4da8-81ab-f61e0c1195b1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2439&group=rec.music.beatles#2439

Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2021 14:48:14 -0800 (PST)
From: williamg...@gmail.com (Willie Williams)
 by: Willie Williams - Thu, 23 Dec 2021 22:48 UTC

On Sunday, November 28, 2021 at 9:57:12 AM UTC-5, Blueshirt wrote:
> Just finished watching the third part on Disney+ and this was really
> really good! I'm not sure a casual viewer would have made it past the 30
> minute mark of part one, but it's great for a fan to see the bigger
> picture of the events we got to see in the "Let It Be" documentary.
> Peter Jackson has done a brilliant job on this.

I don't come here often, but just finished the "Get Back" series, and have a kind of random question. At one point George moves to the piano and starts playing a terrific rhythmic thing, and Billy Preston picks up a guitar and joins in, as do the others. As with all the other songs they start (until the roof), they stop somewhat randomly, and have a conversation. (I think George speculates on how different it is composing on the piano vs. guitar.) Anyway, while they had it going, I thought this was one if the best things they did in those sessions. I think George even improvised some words (gotta go back and find that bit). But nothing that I know of ever came of it. Has any of you heard any more about that piece? Did George play some piano in his solo years?

Re: Get Back!

<sq32hf$1oq0$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2442&group=rec.music.beatles#2442

From: chrisp...@me.com (Chris Schram)
Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2021 23:59:44 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Chris Schram - Thu, 23 Dec 2021 23:59 UTC

On 2021-12-23, Willie Williams <williamgwilliams@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sunday, November 28, 2021 at 9:57:12 AM UTC-5, Blueshirt wrote:
>> Just finished watching the third part on Disney+ and this was really
>> really good! I'm not sure a casual viewer would have made it past the 30
>> minute mark of part one, but it's great for a fan to see the bigger
>> picture of the events we got to see in the "Let It Be" documentary.
>> Peter Jackson has done a brilliant job on this.
>
> I don't come here often, but just finished the "Get Back" series, and
> have a kind of random question. At one point George moves to the piano
> and starts playing a terrific rhythmic thing, and Billy Preston picks
> up a guitar and joins in, as do the others. As with all the other
> songs they start (until the roof), they stop somewhat randomly, and
> have a conversation. (I think George speculates on how different it is
> composing on the piano vs. guitar.) Anyway, while they had it going, I
> thought this was one if the best things they did in those sessions. I
> think George even improvised some words (gotta go back and find that
> bit). But nothing that I know of ever came of it. Has any of you heard
> any more about that piece? Did George play some piano in his solo
> years?

That was Old Brown Shoe. One place to find it is on Past Masters Volume
Two. There's a moment during that sequence in the film where Billy is
suggesting certain chord patterns, and George remarks that it is
impossible to play that on a guitar. Billy knew all the cool jazz
chords.

I'm too lazy right now to look up who played what on the final
recording, but yes, it's a gem.

--
chrispam1@me.com is a filtered spam magnet. Email replies may be lost.
You're better off replying to this newsgroup.

Re: Get Back!

<9ca68fe5-420d-45f3-a402-2e13bcc5896an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2456&group=rec.music.beatles#2456

Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2021 09:50:43 -0800 (PST)
From: williamg...@gmail.com (Willie Williams)
 by: Willie Williams - Fri, 24 Dec 2021 17:50 UTC

On Thursday, December 23, 2021 at 6:59:49 PM UTC-5, Chris Schram wrote:
> On 2021-12-23, Willie Williams <williamg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sunday, November 28, 2021 at 9:57:12 AM UTC-5, Blueshirt wrote:
> >> Just finished watching the third part on Disney+ and this was really
> >> really good! I'm not sure a casual viewer would have made it past the 30
> >> minute mark of part one, but it's great for a fan to see the bigger
> >> picture of the events we got to see in the "Let It Be" documentary.
> >> Peter Jackson has done a brilliant job on this.
> >
> > I don't come here often, but just finished the "Get Back" series, and
> > have a kind of random question. At one point George moves to the piano
> > and starts playing a terrific rhythmic thing, and Billy Preston picks
> > up a guitar and joins in, as do the others. As with all the other
> > songs they start (until the roof), they stop somewhat randomly, and
> > have a conversation. (I think George speculates on how different it is
> > composing on the piano vs. guitar.) Anyway, while they had it going, I
> > thought this was one if the best things they did in those sessions. I
> > think George even improvised some words (gotta go back and find that
> > bit). But nothing that I know of ever came of it. Has any of you heard
> > any more about that piece? Did George play some piano in his solo
> > years?
> That was Old Brown Shoe. One place to find it is on Past Masters Volume
> Two. There's a moment during that sequence in the film where Billy is
> suggesting certain chord patterns, and George remarks that it is
> impossible to play that on a guitar. Billy knew all the cool jazz
> chords.
>
> I'm too lazy right now to look up who played what on the final
> recording, but yes, it's a gem.
>
> --
> chri...@me.com is a filtered spam magnet. Email replies may be lost.
> You're better off replying to this newsgroup.
Thanks Chris. I just reviewed it and gave myself a dope slap because George has the lyrics, with "Old Brown Shoe" written at the top, right before him on the piano as he plays. for the "offifcial" version (released on the Hey Jude, 1967–1970, and Past Masters, Volume Two albums), George reverted to guitar. Wikipedia, as usual, has a pretty comphehensive entry on the song.

It was interesting in the series how that one fellow (big, with horned rim glasses: Mal Evans?) is, among other things, their scribe, constantly writing down lyrics as they come up with them during song work ups. I wonder if other bands have scribes like that. (Doh, I just learned that Mal Evans was killed by a policeman in 1976 after friends, nervous about his mental state, called the police and Mal had a weapon which he refused to drop.)

Re: Get Back!

<6fb7fca6-9bcd-4b3c-9be0-f1c4e7bf82f2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2493&group=rec.music.beatles#2493

Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2021 04:56:42 -0800 (PST)
From: norbertk...@gmail.com (Norbert K)
 by: Norbert K - Sun, 26 Dec 2021 12:56 UTC

On Friday, December 24, 2021 at 12:50:44 PM UTC-5, Willie Williams wrote:
> On Thursday, December 23, 2021 at 6:59:49 PM UTC-5, Chris Schram wrote:
> > >
> > > I don't come here often, but just finished the "Get Back" series, and
> > > have a kind of random question. At one point George moves to the piano
> > > and starts playing a terrific rhythmic thing, and Billy Preston picks
> > > up a guitar and joins in, as do the others. As with all the other
> > > songs they start (until the roof), they stop somewhat randomly, and
> > > have a conversation. (I think George speculates on how different it is
> > > composing on the piano vs. guitar.) Anyway, while they had it going, I
> > > thought this was one if the best things they did in those sessions. I
> > > think George even improvised some words (gotta go back and find that
> > > bit). But nothing that I know of ever came of it. Has any of you heard
> > > any more about that piece? Did George play some piano in his solo
> > > years?
> > That was Old Brown Shoe. One place to find it is on Past Masters Volume
> > Two. There's a moment during that sequence in the film where Billy is
> > suggesting certain chord patterns, and George remarks that it is
> > impossible to play that on a guitar. Billy knew all the cool jazz
> > chords.
> >
> > I'm too lazy right now to look up who played what on the final
> > recording, but yes, it's a gem.
> >
> > --
> > chri...@me.com is a filtered spam magnet. Email replies may be lost.
> > You're better off replying to this newsgroup.
> Thanks Chris. I just reviewed it and gave myself a dope slap because George has the lyrics, with "Old Brown Shoe" written at the top, right before him on the piano as he plays. for the "offifcial" version (released on the Hey Jude, 1967–1970, and Past Masters, Volume Two albums), George reverted to guitar. Wikipedia, as usual, has a pretty comphehensive entry on the song.
>
> It was interesting in the series how that one fellow (big, with horned rim glasses: Mal Evans?) is, among other things, their scribe, constantly writing down lyrics as they come up with them during song work ups. I wonder if other bands have scribes like that. (Doh, I just learned that Mal Evans was killed by a policeman in 1976 after friends, nervous about his mental state, called the police and Mal had a weapon which he refused to drop.)

Yeah, that's Mal Evans. He was killed by police in Los Angeles in 1976. He had gone berserk on pills and booze and, when police showed up, he induced them to shoot him by aiming a rifle at them.

According to Goldman, Evans had kept a journal during his Beatles years which made for most interesting reading.

Also according to Goldman, Lennon was deeply disturbed that such a peaceful man could have died such a violent death.

Re: Get Back!

<33de2e28-a1a8-4dd8-831f-3830e39bdddcn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2509&group=rec.music.beatles#2509

Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 12:55:02 -0800 (PST)
From: pwolf...@gmail.com (P-Dub)
 by: P-Dub - Tue, 28 Dec 2021 20:55 UTC

On Friday, December 24, 2021 at 12:50:44 PM UTC-5, Willie Williams wrote:
> On Thursday, December 23, 2021 at 6:59:49 PM UTC-5, Chris Schram wrote:
> > >
> > > I don't come here often, but just finished the "Get Back" series, and
> > > have a kind of random question. At one point George moves to the piano
> > > and starts playing a terrific rhythmic thing, and Billy Preston picks
> > > up a guitar and joins in, as do the others. As with all the other
> > > songs they start (until the roof), they stop somewhat randomly, and
> > > have a conversation. (I think George speculates on how different it is
> > > composing on the piano vs. guitar.) Anyway, while they had it going, I
> > > thought this was one if the best things they did in those sessions. I
> > > think George even improvised some words (gotta go back and find that
> > > bit). But nothing that I know of ever came of it. Has any of you heard
> > > any more about that piece? Did George play some piano in his solo
> > > years?
> > That was Old Brown Shoe. One place to find it is on Past Masters Volume
> > Two. There's a moment during that sequence in the film where Billy is
> > suggesting certain chord patterns, and George remarks that it is
> > impossible to play that on a guitar. Billy knew all the cool jazz
> > chords.
> >
> > I'm too lazy right now to look up who played what on the final
> > recording, but yes, it's a gem.
> >
> > --
> > chri...@me.com is a filtered spam magnet. Email replies may be lost.
> > You're better off replying to this newsgroup.
> Thanks Chris. I just reviewed it and gave myself a dope slap because George has the lyrics, with "Old Brown Shoe" written at the top, right before him on the piano as he plays. for the "offifcial" version (released on the Hey Jude, 1967–1970, and Past Masters, Volume Two albums), George reverted to guitar. Wikipedia, as usual, has a pretty comphehensive entry on the song.
>
> It was interesting in the series how that one fellow (big, with horned rim glasses: Mal Evans?) is, among other things, their scribe, constantly writing down lyrics as they come up with them during song work ups. I wonder if other bands have scribes like that. (Doh, I just learned that Mal Evans was killed by a policeman in 1976 after friends, nervous about his mental state, called the police and Mal had a weapon which he refused to drop.)

Mal Evans assisted the Beatles as a bouncer, a road manager, a problem solver, shopper, and even a songwriter. This is fascinating. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mal_Evans

Re: Get Back!

<79ydncXUGpV1Olb8nZ2dnUU7-Y-dnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2512&group=rec.music.beatles#2512

Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 13:12:20 +1300
Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
From: geo...@nospamgeoffwood.org (geoff)
 by: geoff - Wed, 29 Dec 2021 00:12 UTC

On 29/12/2021 9:55 am, P-Dub wrote:
> On Friday, December 24, 2021 at 12:50:44 PM UTC-5, Willie Williams wrote:

>>> That was Old Brown Shoe. One place to find it is on Past Masters Volume
>>> Two. There's a moment during that sequence in the film where Billy is
>>> suggesting certain chord patterns, and George remarks that it is
>>> impossible to play that on a guitar. Billy knew all the cool jazz
>>> chords.
>>>
>>> I'm too lazy right now to look up who played what on the final
>>> recording, but yes, it's a gem.
>>>
>>> --
>>> chri...@me.com is a filtered spam magnet. Email replies may be lost.
>>> You're better off replying to this newsgroup.
>> Thanks Chris. I just reviewed it and gave myself a dope slap because George has the lyrics, with "Old Brown Shoe" written at the top, right before him on the piano as he plays. for the "offifcial" version (released on the Hey Jude, 1967–1970, and Past Masters, Volume Two albums), George reverted to guitar. Wikipedia, as usual, has a pretty comphehensive entry on the song.
>>
>> It was interesting in the series how that one fellow (big, with horned rim glasses: Mal Evans?) is, among other things, their scribe, constantly writing down lyrics as they come up with them during song work ups. I wonder if other bands have scribes like that. (Doh, I just learned that Mal Evans was killed by a policeman in 1976 after friends, nervous about his mental state, called the police and Mal had a weapon which he refused to drop.)
>
> Mal Evans assisted the Beatles as a bouncer, a road manager, a problem solver, shopper, and even a songwriter. This is fascinating. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mal_Evans

A very sad outcome ;- (

geoff

Re: Get Back!

<801a6600-c824-4639-920b-928a474b9116n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2520&group=rec.music.beatles#2520

Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 04:14:56 -0800 (PST)
From: norbertk...@gmail.com (Norbert K)
 by: Norbert K - Wed, 29 Dec 2021 12:14 UTC

On Tuesday, December 28, 2021 at 3:55:04 PM UTC-5, P-Dub wrote:
> On Friday, December 24, 2021 at 12:50:44 PM UTC-5, Willie Williams wrote:

> > > That was Old Brown Shoe. One place to find it is on Past Masters Volume
> > > Two. There's a moment during that sequence in the film where Billy is
> > > suggesting certain chord patterns, and George remarks that it is
> > > impossible to play that on a guitar. Billy knew all the cool jazz
> > > chords.
> > >
> > > I'm too lazy right now to look up who played what on the final
> > > recording, but yes, it's a gem.
> > >
> > > --
> > > chri...@me.com is a filtered spam magnet. Email replies may be lost.
> > > You're better off replying to this newsgroup.
> > Thanks Chris. I just reviewed it and gave myself a dope slap because George has the lyrics, with "Old Brown Shoe" written at the top, right before him on the piano as he plays. for the "offifcial" version (released on the Hey Jude, 1967–1970, and Past Masters, Volume Two albums), George reverted to guitar. Wikipedia, as usual, has a pretty comphehensive entry on the song.
> >
> > It was interesting in the series how that one fellow (big, with horned rim glasses: Mal Evans?) is, among other things, their scribe, constantly writing down lyrics as they come up with them during song work ups. I wonder if other bands have scribes like that. (Doh, I just learned that Mal Evans was killed by a policeman in 1976 after friends, nervous about his mental state, called the police and Mal had a weapon which he refused to drop.)
> Mal Evans assisted the Beatles as a bouncer, a road manager, a problem solver, shopper, and even a songwriter. This is fascinating. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mal_Evans

There are a few Mal Evans anecdotes about Mal Evans in Loving John by May Pang.

There's also a photograph of Mal and Julian Lennon sharing a ride in a Mad Tea Party Tea Cup in Disneyland from 1973.

Nothing to hint at the strange death Evans would suffer.

arts / rec.music.beatles / Get Back!