Good-bye. I am leaving because I am bored. -- George Saunders' dying words

arts / alt.arts.poetry.comments / Re: PPB: In the slant sunlight of the young October / Alfred Austin

SubjectAuthor
* PPB: In the slant sunlight of the young October / Alfred AustinGeorge J. Dance
+* Re: PPB: In the slant sunlight of the young October / Alfred AustinNancyGene
> [...]
||+* Re: PPB: In the slant sunlight of the young October / Alfred AustinWill Dockery
|||`* Re: PPB: In the slant sunlight of the young October / Alfred AustinAsh Wurthing
||| `* Re: PPB: In the slant sunlight of the young October / Alfred AustinWill Dockery
|||  `* Re: PPB: In the slant sunlight of the young October / Alfred AustinFamily Guy
|||   `- Re: PPB: In the slant sunlight of the young October / Alfred AustinWill Dockery
||`- Re: PPB: In the slant sunlight of the young October / Alfred AustinW.Dockery
|+- Re: PPB: In the slant sunlight of the young October / Alfred AustinGeneral-Zod
|+- Re: PPB: In the slant sunlight of the young October / Alfred AustinWill Dockery
|`- Re: PPB: In the slant sunlight of the young October / Alfred AustinWill Dockery
+- Re: PPB: In the slant sunlight of the young October / Alfred AustinWill Dockery
+* Re: PPB: In the slant sunlight of the young October / Alfred AustinJordy C
|+- Re: PPB: In the slant sunlight of the young October / Alfred AustinFaraway Star
|+- Re: PPB: In the slant sunlight of the young October / Alfred AustinMichael Pendragon
|`* Re: PPB: In the slant sunlight of the young October / Alfred AustinGeorge J. Dance
| `- Re: PPB: In the slant sunlight of the young October / Alfred AustinMichael Pendragon
+* Re: PPB: In the slant sunlight of the young October / Alfred AustinWill Dockery
|`* Re: PPB: In the slant sunlight of the young October / Alfred AustinMichael Pendragon
| `* Re: PPB: In the slant sunlight of the young October / Alfred AustinWill Dockery
|  `- Re: PPB: In the slant sunlight of the young October / Alfred AustinMichael Pendragon
+* Re: PPB: In the slant sunlight of the young October / Alfred AustinWill Dockery
|+* Re: PPB: In the slant sunlight of the young October / Alfred AustinMichael Pendragon
||`* Re: PPB: In the slant sunlight of the young October / Alfred AustinWill Dockery
|| `- Re: PPB: In the slant sunlight of the young October / Alfred AustinMichael Pendragon
|`* Re: PPB: In the slant sunlight of the young October / Alfred AustinWill Dockery
| `* Re: PPB: In the slant sunlight of the young October / Alfred AustinMichael Pendragon
|  `* Re: PPB: In the slant sunlight of the young October / Alfred AustinWill Dockery
|   `* Re: PPB: In the slant sunlight of the young October / Alfred AustinMichael Pendragon
|    +* Re: PPB: In the slant sunlight of the young October / Alfred AustinW.Dockery
|    |`* Re: PPB: In the slant sunlight of the young October / Alfred AustinMichael Pendragon
|    | `* Re: PPB: In the slant sunlight of the young October / Alfred AustinFaraway Star
|    |  `* Re: PPB: In the slant sunlight of the young October / Alfred AustinMichael Pendragon
|    |   `* Re: PPB: In the slant sunlight of the young October / Alfred AustinFaraway Star
|    |    +* Re: PPB: In the slant sunlight of the young October / Alfred AustinMichael Pendragon
|    |    |`* Re: PPB: In the slant sunlight of the young October / Alfred AustinFaraway Star
|    |    | `- Re: PPB: In the slant sunlight of the young October / Alfred AustinMichael Pendragon
|    |    `- Re: PPB: In the slant sunlight of the young October / Alfred AustinWill Dockery
|    `* Re: PPB: In the slant sunlight of the young October / Alfred AustinAsh Wurthing
|     `- Re: PPB: In the slant sunlight of the young October / Alfred AustinNancyGene
+* Re: PPB: In the slant sunlight of the young October / Alfred AustinWill Dockery
+* Re: PPB: In the slant sunlight of the young October / Alfred AustinWill Dockery
+* Re: PPB: In the slant sunlight of the young October / Alfred AustinWill Dockery
+- Re: PPB: In the slant sunlight of the young October / Alfred AustinWill Dockery
+* Re: PPB: In the slant sunlight of the young October / Alfred AustinMichael Pendragon
`- Re: PPB: In the slant sunlight of the young October / Alfred AustinGeneral-Zod

Pages:123456
Re: PPB: In the slant sunlight of the young October / Alfred Austin

<51669319-bb2a-46d8-bc51-a41d2ee3aed7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=242183&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#242183

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2023 13:53:36 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: PPB: In the slant sunlight of the young October / Alfred Austin
From: ashwurth...@gmail.com (Ash Wurthing)
 by: Ash Wurthing - Sun, 26 Nov 2023 21:53 UTC

On Sunday, November 26, 2023 at 3:45:39 PM UTC-5, Faraway Star wrote:
> On Thursday, November 23, 2023 at 9:20:39 PM UTC-5, Ash Wurthing wrote:

> > > Hilarious.
> > What's even funnier
> Is that tear in your eye, whiner...?
>
> Ha ha.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: PPB: In the slant sunlight of the young October / Alfred Austin

<e70b4385-c4e7-4da6-9c0b-2dfd0ae158dfn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=242184&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#242184

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2023 13:56:07 -0800 (PST)
From: ashwurth...@gmail.com (Ash Wurthing)
 by: Ash Wurthing - Sun, 26 Nov 2023 21:56 UTC

<27930ccf0ff79e786cae5c0a6d498598@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=242605&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#242605

Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 17:36:37 +0000
From: tzod9...@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
References: <74b6f51d-c56a-4344-a220-cb88be3c1546n@googlegroups.com> <211e04ab-02e4-41ff-b85d-1794276ad122n@googlegroups.com> <2e8c3e17-1f3e-4fc7-a247-009fa7aac577n@googlegroups.com> <bd3e9c85-d78d-445f-ba3f-2012be26ef1bn@googlegroups.com> <4c0f5823-1adb-4fc6-b0d7-6c2c14cdd797n@googlegroups.com> <7d45f0b8-3351-4ab6-b6d1-840ca6a87f22n@googlegroups.com> <d091b65e-4bcb-4c19-a669-df1cf3530f67n@googlegroups.com>
 by: General-Zod - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 17:36 UTC

George J. Dance wrote:

> [...]

> * Macmillan published its edition in 1889 and 1891.

>> George Dance, why are you unable to say that you were wrong and thank us?

> Why must you lie so much, NG? I thanked you days ago:

>> You continually deflect from the original problem.
> NG, "the original problem" no longer exists.
> (1) you claimed I'd put the wrong date (1862) on the text, and I thanked you for telling me that.
> (2) I checked out the 1862 edition and found that the text was different
> (3) so i changed the date to 1891. That ends it.

> Since then you've been lying about all three things. That's the only "problem" here that needs attention.

>> > Actually, we know no such thing. What we do know is that every time you complain about inaccurate information on the blog, you think you've found some. And why is that? Because we both know that, if you didn't think you'd found some, you wouldn't be complaining about it. Because we know the second fact, we know the first by logical implication (contraposition). See how that works?
>> 1. We don't visit your blaarrrgg often.

> Oh, bullshit. You sniff around it every time I post a poem. When you don't find any (as with Tennyson Turner and Dixon this month), you simply pretend you found that poem somewhere else.

>> 2. We don't often look further into the poems that you select.

> Again, bullshit. You check every date on every poem.

>> 3. The poems that we do investigate have problems with inaccurate information and we supply adequate proof that it is inaccurate.

>> 4. "Why is it that every time we look more closely into the information you have supplied for an old poem, you have inaccurate information?"

>> > Not as a rule. Divisions in long poems are usually called "cantos." But a poet can call the divisions in his poem whatever he wants: acts (as in a play), chapters (as in a novel), scenes (as in a movie) or whatever.

>> Also, "scenes" and "acts" as in a "play."

> That doesn't help your case: there are no "scenes" in Austin's poem. And there are no "Acts" either, in the first edition that you insisted was a "play" - that's divided into cantos. If it's a play, why is it not divided into acts or scenes?

>> You are wrong.

> No, NG; you're wrong: 4 times now.

>> > Well, yes, "Prometheus Unbound" is a drama (a type of play), in which the story is told by the characters. Since it's a 'closet drama' the reader can't see the play and [has to] imagine it, but it's clearly indicated in the text as you could tell if you looked at it. "The Human Tragedy" is no such thing, as you could tell if you'd looked at its text.
>> Nonsense.

> So you haven't looked at the text of either work.

>> > Sure it does; he wants his readers to think of his characters as not individuals, but players acting out the eternal human tragedy of his titles. But that doesn't turn his poem into a play. It's a long poem, told by a narrator.

Nancy G is a sleazy and malicious stalker troll, and usually wrong about everything...

"Tear in her eye."

Re: PPB: In the slant sunlight of the young October / Alfred Austin

<b7428b0814b015f4a260c26e3d177f73@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=247180&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#247180

Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 16:57:56 +0000
From: tzod9...@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: General-Zod - Mon, 19 Feb 2024 16:57 UTC

George J. Dance wrote:

> Today's poem on Penny's Poetry Blog:
> In the slant sunlight of the young October, by Alfred Austin

> In the slant sunlight of the young October,
> Dew-dashed lay meadow, upland, wood, and pool;
> Mid-time delicious, when all hues are sober
> [...]

> https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2023/10/in-slant-sunlight-of-young-october.html

> #pennyspoems

Another read

Yo

Outstanding

arts / alt.arts.poetry.comments / Re: PPB: In the slant sunlight of the young October / Alfred Austin