arts / rec.music.classical.recordings / KNOW YOU BETTER...

SubjectAuthor
* KNOW YOU BETTER...MELMOTH
+* Re: KNOW YOU BETTER...Owen
|`- Re: KNOW YOU BETTER...MELMOTH
+* Re: KNOW YOU BETTER...Néstor Castiglione
|+- Re: KNOW YOU BETTER...MELMOTH
|`- Re: KNOW YOU BETTER...MELMOTH
+- Re: KNOW YOU BETTER...Bob Harper
+* Re: KNOW YOU BETTER...raymond....@gmail.com
|`* Re: KNOW YOU BETTER...sci.space
| `- Re: KNOW YOU BETTER...sci.space
+- Re: KNOW YOU BETTER...HT
+* Re: KNOW YOU BETTER...Dan Koren
|+* Re: KNOW YOU BETTER...Dan Koren
||`* Re: KNOW YOU BETTER...Dan Koren
|| `- Re: KNOW YOU BETTER...Al Eisner
|`* Re: KNOW YOU BETTER...Dan Koren
| `* Re: KNOW YOU BETTER...HT
|  `* Re: KNOW YOU BETTER...Dan Koren
|   `* Re: KNOW YOU BETTER...Dan Koren
|    +* Re: KNOW YOU BETTER...Todd M. McComb
|    |`- Re: KNOW YOU BETTER...Dan Koren
|    `* Re: KNOW YOU BETTER...raymond....@gmail.com
|     `- Re: KNOW YOU BETTER...Dan Koren
+* Re: KNOW YOU BETTER...number_six
|`* Re: KNOW YOU BETTER...gggg gggg
| `* Re: KNOW YOU BETTER...number_six
|  `* Re: KNOW YOU BETTER...gggg gggg
|   `- Re: KNOW YOU BETTER...number_six
+- Re: KNOW YOU BETTER...Dan Koren
+- Re: KNOW YOU BETTER...Dan Koren
+- Re: KNOW YOU BETTER...Dan Koren
+* Re: KNOW YOU BETTER...Dan Koren
|`* Re: KNOW YOU BETTER...Dan Koren
| `* Re: KNOW YOU BETTER...Herman
|  `- Re: KNOW YOU BETTER...Dan Koren
+- Re: KNOW YOU BETTER...Dan Koren
+- Re: KNOW YOU BETTER...Andy Evans
`- Re: KNOW YOU BETTER...number_six

Pages:12
KNOW YOU BETTER...

<62ff9e19$0$26303$426a74cc@news.free.fr>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=44249&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#44249

Subject: KNOW YOU BETTER...
From: theom...@free.fr (MELMOTH)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2022 16:28:38 +0200
 by: MELMOTH - Fri, 19 Aug 2022 14:28 UTC

Getting to know you better, O friends of RMCR...

- What was your first musical emotion?...
- And the most recent ones ?...
- What place does Music occupy in your life ?...
- Favorite composers ?...
- Composers you don't like ?...
- Work that you place above all...
- Favorite interpreters ?...
- Preferred opera?...
- Who introduced you to music?...Have you met any musicians?...What did
they bring to you?
- The three recordings for the desert island ?...
- Which definition for the Music ?...
-- What Music to be joyful ?...
- Which Music to go back to the deepest of your sadness ?...
- Which Music to celebrate God?...
- Which Music to accompany your death?...
- Who to play at your funeral?...
- Which composer to raise the dead ?...
- Which work to celebrate life ?...

I ask the questions...

NB : I obviously do not expect many answers !...

Re: KNOW YOU BETTER...

<FridnWHVPIpbOWL_nZ2dnZfqnPvNnZ2d@supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=44250&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#44250

Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2022 10:58:29 -0400
Subject: Re: KNOW YOU BETTER...
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
From: inf...@clipboardinc.com (Owen)
 by: Owen - Fri, 19 Aug 2022 14:58 UTC

On 8/19/22 10:28 AM, MELMOTH wrote:
> Getting to know you better, O friends of RMCR...
>
> - What was your first musical emotion?...

My father owned a store which sold phonographs, and ended up bringing
home a lot of record albums, which I monopolized. I've actually tracked
down an album that I use to like when I was 4 years old: "Sousa in
HiFi" - Henry Mancini conducting the Warner Bros Military Band. Today
it sounds a little ragtag, but quite exuberant and fiesty.

> - And the most recent ones ?...

Relistening to the Ponnelle "Barber of Seville" and just enjoying the
singing.

> - What place does Music occupy in your life ?...

It's always there.

> - Favorite composers ?...

Right now Prokofiev.

> - Composers you don't like ?...

More like composers I haven't put in any effort to get to know.

> - Work that you place above all...

No such thing.

> - Favorite interpreters ?...

Tennstedt live performances.
Horowitz (but not in every type of music - hate him in Beethoven
My son!

> - Preferred opera?...

Figaro

> - Who introduced you to music?...Have you met any musicians?...What did
> they bring to you?

Took piano lessons at age of 4, (playing popular music) can still hack
around. College teacher who introduced me into playing classical.

> - The three recordings for the desert island ?...

Better just give me a Spotify account because I'll be sick of 3 in no time.

> - Which definition for the Music ?...

??

> -- What Music to be joyful ?...

Hard to be sad when listening to:

Fats Waller
1920's - 1930's jazz bands.

> - Which Music to go back to the deepest of your sadness ?...

None.

> - Which Music to celebrate God?...

Although I'm not Protestant, I find the old Protestant hymns very moving
music. And a recent album of Catholic Church hymns by Beth Neilsen
Chapman brought back pleasant and comforting feelings of my youth.

> - Which Music to accompany your death?...

Don't bother - I wont' hear it. Play it now.

> - Who to play at your funeral?...

Likewise.

> - Which composer to raise the dead ?...

Prokofiev.

> - Which work to celebrate life ?...

All of music.

> I ask the questions...
>
> NB : I obviously do not expect many answers !...

You got one!

-Owen

Re: KNOW YOU BETTER...

<20c30475-a8a7-47d4-90a1-55e411b35c59n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=44258&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#44258

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2022 11:24:09 -0700 (PDT)
From: castigli...@gmail.com (Néstor Castiglione)
 by: Néstor Castiglione - Fri, 19 Aug 2022 18:24 UTC

On Friday, August 19, 2022 at 7:28:45 AM UTC-7, MELMOTH wrote:
> Getting to know you better, O friends of RMCR...
>
> - What was your first musical emotion?...

I didn't discover classical music until I was 12. Prior to that, all the music I knew was Spanish language love ballads, pop instrumentals, and Chilean folkloric music. There was a song by Violeta Parra I used to ask my parents to play again and again, "Casamiento de negros." I was around 3 at the time. The rhythm of the song and the lyrics stirred me profoundly, but couldn't understand why at the time. Same with a song by Pedro Messone called "El solitario." The song would hold me in a trance. An incident occurred when I was around 5 during a party my parents were having at home. I heard a song by Miguel Gallardo, a famous pop singer of the time, called "Muchachita" for the first time. The song left me bawling, even though it's in a major key and its lyrics not overtly sad. It was the first time I was ever moved so powerfully by music. To this day the song gets me misty-eyed. Who knows why?

> - And the most recent ones ?...

In recent months I've been repeatedly listening to a late a capella choral cycle by Shostakovich called Loyalty. The lyrics are the usual commie potboiler stuff, although the references to the Vietnam War and the Angolan War of Independence impart a topicality unique in late Shostakovich, which otherwise seems to be more preoccupied with the next world than the Third World.. But the music itself is splendid; one of the most beautiful works to come from Shostakovich's pen. Leaves me with a lump in my throat every time I hear it.

> - What place does Music occupy in your life ?...

Probably the reason I wake up in the morning.

> - Favorite composers ?...

In no particular order: Bach, Beethoven, Delius, Shostakovich, Webern, Stravinsky, Bruckner, Revueltas, Salgado, Ravel, Debussy, Nielsen, Sibelius, Schoenberg, Gerhard, Mendelssohn, Penderecki (pre-1973), RVW, and Richard Strauss.

> - Composers you don't like ?...

Copland (although I do love very much his late Midday Thoughts and Duo for Flute and Piano), Britten, Weinberg, Price, Schnittke (he lays on the gloom too thickly for my tastes, although I do love his wonderful Symphony No. 1 and some of his film scores), Penderecki (post-1973), John Adams (Light Over Water excepting), John Luther Adams, Glass (although I like his early music), Reich (same), Muhly (boring), Mazzoli, Saariaho (boring), Shaw, the list goes on...

> - Work that you place above all...

Impossible for me to single out one work.

> - Favorite interpreters ?...

Too many. For starters, there is: Willem Mengelberg, Nikolai Golovanov, Emil Gilels, Walter Gieseking, Mischa Elman, Michael Rabin, Daniil Shafran, Leonard Rose, Rosa Ponselle, Erna Berger, Jussi Björling, Julius Patzak, Erich Kunz, Sesto Bruscantini, et al. Again, the list goes on.

> - Preferred opera?...

Difficult to single out one. Among my favorites: Salome, Elektra, Capriccio, Lady Macbeth of Mtsensk District, The Nose, Tristan und Isolde, Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg, Falstaff, Mefistofele, Nerone, Die Fledermaus, Don Giovanni, Die Zauberflöte, Boris Godunov, War and Peace, The Story of a Real Man, Turandot, Karl V, etc.

> - Who introduced you to music?...Have you met any musicians?...What did
> they bring to you?

My father by accident. Long story. Yes, many. Pleasant conversations and memorable anecdotes.

> - The three recordings for the desert island ?...

Robert Craft's Webern cycle, Mengelberg's live recording of Bach's St. Matthew Passion, and Gilels' recording of Shostakovich's Piano Sonata No. 2.

> - Which definition for the Music ?...

Whatever pleases me.

> -- What Music to be joyful ?...

Most of Mendelssohn, Milhaud, Poulenc, Stravinsky, Grieg, Strauss, et al.

> - Which Music to go back to the deepest of your sadness ?...

The final chorus of the St. Matthew Passion, which for me sounds like the weeping of the Universe.

> - Which Music to celebrate God?...

Bach's Mass in B minor, Bruckner's Symphony No. 8, Delius' On Hearing the First Cuckoo in Spring, and Webern's Das Augenlicht.

> - Which Music to accompany your death?...

Delius' Intermezzo from Fennimore and Gerda and the Bach/Busoni Ich ruf zu dir, Herr Jesu Christ.

> - Who to play at your funeral?...

Haven't given it thought.

> - Which composer to raise the dead ?...

Beethoven, Bruckner, Webern.

> - Which work to celebrate life ?...

Beethoven's Symphony No. 4.

Re: KNOW YOU BETTER...

<62ffd6e8$0$9522$426a74cc@news.free.fr>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=44259&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#44259

From: theom...@free.fr (MELMOTH)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2022 20:31:03 +0200
 by: MELMOTH - Fri, 19 Aug 2022 18:31 UTC

Après mûre réflexion, Owen a écrit :
>> NB : I obviously do not expect many answers !...
>>
> You got one!

And I thank you very much !...

Re: KNOW YOU BETTER...

<62ffd81c$0$24785$426a74cc@news.free.fr>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=44260&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#44260

From: theom...@free.fr (MELMOTH)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2022 20:36:11 +0200
 by: MELMOTH - Fri, 19 Aug 2022 18:36 UTC

Néstor Castiglione avait prétendu :
>> - What was your first musical emotion?...

> I didn't discover classical music until I was 12. Prior to that, all the
> music I knew was Spanish language love ballads, pop instrumentals, and
> Chilean folkloric music. There was a song by Violeta Parra I used to ask my
> parents to play again and again, "Casamiento de negros." I was around 3 at
> the time. The rhythm of the song and the lyrics stirred me profoundly, but
> couldn't understand why at the time. Same with a song by Pedro Messone called
> "El solitario." The song would hold me in a trance. An incident occurred when
> I was around 5 during a party my parents were having at home. I heard a song
> by Miguel Gallardo, a famous pop singer of the time, called "Muchachita" for
> the first time. The song left me bawling, even though it's in a major key and
> its lyrics not overtly sad. It was the first time I was ever moved so
> powerfully by music. To this day the song gets me misty-eyed. Who knows why?

Thank you very much !...

Re: KNOW YOU BETTER...

<62ffd8cf$0$9148$426a74cc@news.free.fr>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=44261&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#44261

From: theom...@free.fr (MELMOTH)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2022 20:39:10 +0200
 by: MELMOTH - Fri, 19 Aug 2022 18:39 UTC

Néstor Castiglione vient de nous annoncer :
> Mengelberg's live recording of Bach's St. Matthew Passion

You should "try" *Koussevitzky* 's version ! (on YT)...

Re: KNOW YOU BETTER...

<yZVLK.74119$kY1.44779@fx06.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=44271&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#44271

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
From: bob.har...@comcast.net (Bob Harper)
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2022 17:33:33 -0700
 by: Bob Harper - Sat, 20 Aug 2022 00:33 UTC

On 8/19/22 7:28 AM, MELMOTH wrote:
> Getting to know you better, O friends of RMCR...
>
> - What was your first musical emotion?...
Probably Kubelik's 'Pictures (Mercury MG50000), which my father had
received at the Chicago Audio Show, to whih he went every year or two.
He wa not particularly fond of classical music (outside of a few
warhorses), but he was an early audiophile, and that record was a milestone.

> - And the most recent ones ?...
The Faure Requiem in a liturgical setting, as mentioned in that thread,
and the Beethoven Quartets, of which I never tire; working my way
through the Belcea recordings right now.

> - What place does Music occupy in your life ?...Sanity when the world's going mad (as it seems to be doing these days).

> - Favorite composers ?...
The usual: Beethoven, Bach, Bruckner, Mahler, Debussy, Dvorak,
Shostakovich, Haydn, Sibelius

> - Composers you don't like ?...
Don't much care for Chopin, despise Gottschalk

> - Work that you place above all...
the Eroica, Figaro

> - Favorite interpreters ?...
Depends on the work.

> - Preferred opera?...
Figaro (already mentioned) and Meistersinger

> - Who introduced you to music?..
Have you met any musicians?...
My high school band director

What did they bring to you?
The notion of form and logic (specifically, Walter's Brahms 4).

> - The three recordings for the desert island ?...
Unfair (impossible!) question, but...
Wand Eroica Munich PO 2/94 (downloaded from ?)
Juilliard Sony Beethoven cycle
Kleiber Figaro (Hilde Gueden!)

> - Which definition for the Music ?...
Don't get the question.

> -- What Music to be joyful ?...
Finale of K459.

> - Which Music to go back to the deepest of your sadness ?...
Finale of Sibelius 4 or Tchaikovsky 6.

> - Which Music to celebrate God?...
b Minor Mass.

> - Which Music to accompany your death?...
No idea. Maybe 'Der Abschied' from DLvDE.

> - Who to play at your funeral?...
The Faure as I heard it today.

> - Which composer to raise the dead ?...
The Dies Irae from Verdi's Requiem.

> - Which work to celebrate life ?...
Haydn's Creation.

> I ask the questions...
And I give my answers for today. Many would doubtless be different
tomorrow :-).

> NB : I obviously do not expect many answers !...

Re: KNOW YOU BETTER...

<4543ac86-d3e0-40b2-b8f5-2fb33d1482een@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=44285&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#44285

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2022 20:09:18 -0700 (PDT)
From: raymond....@gmail.com (raymond....@gmail.com)
 by: raymond....@gmail.co - Sat, 20 Aug 2022 03:09 UTC

On Saturday, 20 August 2022 at 00:28:45 UTC+10, MELMOTH wrote:
> Getting to know you better, O friends of RMCR...
>
> - What was your first musical emotion?...
Beyond the Sea (La Mer)

> - And the most recent ones ?...
Too many to name, and there are different emotions too.

> - What place does Music occupy in your life ?...
Along with physics, dogs, and tennis, at the top.

> - Favorite composers ?...
Russian, Baltic/Scandinavian, Czech, South American, British.
> - Composers you don't like ?...
Those who write far too many notes.

> - Work that you place above all...
Bach's cantatas (the best ones, there are many)

> - Favorite interpreters ?...
K Richter, Ancerl, Tennstedt, Berglund

> - Preferred opera?...
Janacek's (all of them), Britten, Falstaff.

> - Who introduced you to music?...Have you met any musicians?...What did
> they bring to you?
My father who was a Rachmaninov nut, and got me music lessons.

> - The three recordings for the desert island ?...
Cunning Little Vixen(Neumann, Gregor, Mackerras), Falstaff (Bernstein), Bach (Richter)

> - Which definition for the Music ?...
Je ne comprends pas

> -- What Music to be joyful ?...
First movement of Sibelius 3rd symphony.
> - Which Music to go back to the deepest of your sadness ?...
Rachmaninov 3rd symphony

> - Which Music to celebrate God?...
Bach

> - Which Music to accompany your death?...
Beyond The Sea
> - Who to play at your funeral?...
Anyone who can play a guitar

> - Which composer to raise the dead ?...
Leifs

> - Which work to celebrate life ?...
Dvorak 8th or 9th symphony

> I ask the questions...
Vous êtes les bienvenus

Ray Hall, Taree

Re: KNOW YOU BETTER...

<85e7c0bd-5e07-4c8c-b65b-7b9386d5786cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=44306&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#44306

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2022 08:16:31 -0700 (PDT)
From: harrison...@gmail.com (sci.space)
 by: sci.space - Sat, 20 Aug 2022 15:16 UTC

What was your first musical emotion?...
Mozart Clarinet Concerto while I was first learning to play
- And the most recent ones ?...
Daquin Noels - Biggs performance
- What place does Music occupy in your life ?...
Right up there
- Favorite composers ?...
JS Bach, always find something new, especially when following with a score.
Haydn, same reason.
- Composers you don't like ?...
Rachmaninov bores me to death
- Work that you place above all...
None, like asking who is my favorite child.
- Favorite interpreters ?...

- Preferred opera?...
- Who introduced you to music?...Have you met any musicians?...What did
they bring to you?
- The three recordings for the desert island ?...
- Which definition for the Music ?...
-- What Music to be joyful ?...
- Which Music to go back to the deepest of your sadness ?...
- Which Music to celebrate God?...
- Which Music to accompany your death?...
- Who to play at your funeral?...
- Which composer to raise the dead ?...
- Which work to celebrate life ?...

Re: KNOW YOU BETTER...

<e1cc5ec5-a432-430c-a6c6-b116eeeb98bbn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=44307&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#44307

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2022 08:31:34 -0700 (PDT)
From: harrison...@gmail.com (sci.space)
 by: sci.space - Sat, 20 Aug 2022 15:31 UTC

Sorry about that, keyboard error

On Saturday, August 20, 2022 at 11:16:34 AM UTC-4, sci.space wrote:
> What was your first musical emotion?...
> Mozart Clarinet Concerto while I was first learning to play
> - And the most recent ones ?...
> Daquin Noels - Biggs performance
> - What place does Music occupy in your life ?...
> Right up there
> - Favorite composers ?...
> JS Bach, always find something new, especially when following with a score.
> Haydn, same reason.
> - Composers you don't like ?...
Rachmaninov bores me to death
> - Work that you place above all...
None, like asking who is my favorite child.
> - Favorite interpreters ?...
Biggs, Bill Christie, Jordi Savall
> - Preferred opera?...
Live - Rusalka, DVD - Les Indes Galants
> - Who introduced you to music?...Have you met any musicians?...What did
> they bring to you?
Jr high band instructor. I know many musicians who gave me more depth to my music appreciation
> - The three recordings for the desert island ?...
If just three, then none, would prefer to have books of scores.
> - Which definition for the Music ?...
Life.
> -- What Music to be joyful ?...
Haydn Te Deum
> - Which Music to go back to the deepest of your sadness ?...
Beethoven Sym 3, second movement, played by BSO when Kennedy's assassination was announced from the podium, cannot hear it now without seeing the televised image of his caisson being pulled through the streets of Washington
> - Which Music to celebrate God?...
All Bach's cantatas, especially Jauchzet Gott, appeal to an agnostic like myself, find myself wishing it were true.
> - Which Music to accompany your death?...
Slow version of Pachelbel's canon, would kill me for sure.
> - Who to play at your funeral?...
Sandstrom's A Short Ride on a Motorbike
> - Which composer to raise the dead ?...
Irrelevant
> - Which work to celebrate life ?...
Haydn's Creation, best followed with score.

Re: KNOW YOU BETTER...

<80203b97-1588-4b15-b0e6-6803005ff065n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=44311&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#44311

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2022 12:13:21 -0700 (PDT)
From: hvtu...@xs4all.nl (HT)
 by: HT - Sat, 20 Aug 2022 19:13 UTC

Op vrijdag 19 augustus 2022 om 16:28:45 UTC+2 schreef MELMOTH:
> Getting to know you better, O friends of RMCR...
> NB : I obviously do not expect many answers !...>

I'm afraid I don't have many answers.

> - What was your first musical emotion?...
> - And the most recent ones ?...

If I have emotions when listening to music, I don't know what they are.

> - What place does Music occupy in your life ?...

A minor place. I play and listen to music every day, but not for hours.

> - Favorite composers ?...

Poulenc.

> - Composers you don't like ?...

Shostakovich.

> - Work that you place above all...

No hierarchy for me in aesthetics.

> - Favorite interpreters ?...

Chochieva, these days.

> - Preferred opera?...

None.

> - Who introduced you to music?... Have you met any musicians?... What did
> they bring to you?

No one. I started listening to classical music when my father received the Furtwangler Beethoven symphonies from a friend - and never listened to them. That made me curious.
I've met musicians but they didn't bring anything special to me. They were just like other people.

> - The three recordings for the desert island ?...

I'd rather listen to the sea and the birds, I suppose. Perhaps Bach's WTC might fit in - once a week.

> - Which definition for the Music ?...

Cannot think of a general definition.

> - What Music to be joyful ?...
> - Which Music to go back to the deepest of your sadness ?...
> - Which Music to celebrate God?...
> - Which Music to accompany your death?...
> - Who to play at your funeral?...
> - Which composer to raise the dead ?...
> - Which work to celebrate life ?...

Music doesn't do anything for me. It's just there, as is the famous rose.

Henk

Re: KNOW YOU BETTER...

<572403f4-2eef-4d4c-9f10-ab93d14f4131n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=44312&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#44312

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2022 14:01:52 -0700 (PDT)
From: dan.ko...@gmail.com (Dan Koren)
 by: Dan Koren - Sat, 20 Aug 2022 21:01 UTC

Conducting interviews on behalf of the DGSE?
Still trying to figure out who staged Chausson's
"accident"? ;-)

On Friday, August 19, 2022 at 7:28:45 AM UTC-7, MELMOTH wrote:
> Getting to know you better, O friends of RMCR...

Building dossiers?

> - What was your first musical emotion?...

Radio: L'Apprenti Sorcier and Pacific 231
Disc: Schubert 4th and Bruckner 4th
Recital: Pictures at an Exhibition
Concert: Tchaikovsky 1st

> - And the most recent ones ?...

Iberia by Gustavo Diaz-Jerez

> - What place does Music occupy in your life ?...

24/7

> - Favorite composers ?...

Albeniz, De Falla, Granados, Villa-Lobos, Turina,
Chopin, Scriabin, Rachmaninov, Debussy, Fauré,
Franck, d'Indy, Dvorak, Smetana, Respighi, Verdi,
Frescobaldi, Puccini, Palestrina, Prokofiev, Dick
Strauss, Paganini, Wieniawski, Takemitsu, Wolf,
Poulenc, Milhaud, Honegger, Sibelius, Scarlatti,
Soler, Saint-Saens, Tchaikovsky, Mussorgsky,
Borodin, Rimsky, and probably others I don't
remember off the top of my head.

Add all the known classical guitar composers.

Add Bill Evans, Dave Brubeck, Art Tatum, Oscar
Peterson, Jacques Loussier, Eugen Cicero, John
Lewis, Hiromi Uehara, Chihiro Yamanaka.

Somewhere in the middle are composers I like
or not on a work by work basis: Liszt, Brahms,
Schumann, Schubert, Mendelssohn.

> - Composers you don't like ?...

Boring van Beethoven, Buxtehude, Telemann,
Dick Wagner, Shostakovich, Stockhausen,
Boulez, Hindemith, Orff, Pfitzner, Copland,
Schoenberg, Czerny, Hanon, Berlioz.

> - Work that you place above all...

Iberia, Chopin opp. 52, 59, 60, some mazurkas.
Scriabin sonatas 3 to 10, Rachmaninov most
works.

> - Favorite interpreters ?...

Richter, Sofronitsky, Cziffra, HJ Lim, Freire,
Gelber, Levy, Jonas, Pletnev, Rafael Orozco,
Esteban Sanchez, Gustavo Diaz-Jerez, Polina
Leschenko, Derzhavina, Timofeyeva, Jacquinot,
MdlB, various others depending on repertoire.

> - Preferred opera?...

4'33"

> - Who introduced you to music?

parents

....Have you met any musicians?...

Are you kidding?

> What did they bring to you?

Autographs.

> - The three recordings for the desert island ?...

Is there power on the desert island? How does
one get there anyway? Sailing on a Brigantin?

> - Which definition for the Music ?...

If one has to ask .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZbSonHGVXc

> - Which Music to go back to the deepest of your sadness ?...

Sadness? I am as happy as kitten! ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETaGT-VOn6U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N2YwyHg5iU

> - Who to play at your funeral?...

Hiromi Uehara

> - Which composer to raise the dead ?...

Better leave them where they are.

> - Which work to celebrate life ?...
>
> I ask the questions...

Nosey as usual. C'est tellement français ....

> NB : I obviously do not expect many answers !...

Hypocrite liar, you know you will get many
more answers than you can digest.

dk

Re: KNOW YOU BETTER...

<9ea33365-d2b1-40ad-b3d3-57f7288bd1fen@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=44313&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#44313

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2022 14:13:40 -0700 (PDT)
From: dan.ko...@gmail.com (Dan Koren)
 by: Dan Koren - Sat, 20 Aug 2022 21:13 UTC

On Saturday, August 20, 2022 at 2:01:55 PM UTC-7, Dan Koren wrote:
> [...]
> Is there power on the desert island? How does
> one get there anyway? Sailing on a Brigantin?
> > - Which definition for the Music ?...
> If one has to ask .....
> > - What Music to be joyful ?...
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZbSonHGVXc
> > - Which Music to go back to the deepest of your sadness ?...
> Sadness? I am as happy as kitten! ;-)
> > - Which Music to celebrate God?...
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETaGT-VOn6U
> > - Which Music to accompany your death?...
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N2YwyHg5iU
> > - Who to play at your funeral?...
> Hiromi Uehara
> > - Which composer to raise the dead ?...
> Better leave them where they are.
> > - Which work to celebrate life ?...
> >
> > I ask the questions...
> Nosey as usual. C'est tellement français ....
> > NB : I obviously do not expect many answers !...
> Hypocrite liar, you know you will get many

Add Bruckner to dislikes.
Add Haydn, Moewszart, Mawler to work by work.

In case you haven't already figured this out, I am
rejecting the centrality of German composers and
German music in the classical music universe. It
is time to end the near monopoly German music
has been exerting for centuries on people's feeble
tasteless ears and brains. German engineering is
great for mechanical and electrical devices, not
so much for the performing arts.

Melmoth is curiously not asking about conductors
this time. Wondering why ....

dk

Re: KNOW YOU BETTER...

<d9fe4ad3-4d74-40a0-a4bc-aa8ba09beed2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=44317&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#44317

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2022 16:39:10 -0700 (PDT)
From: dan.ko...@gmail.com (Dan Koren)
 by: Dan Koren - Sat, 20 Aug 2022 23:39 UTC

On Saturday, August 20, 2022 at 2:13:43 PM UTC-7, Dan Koren wrote:
> [...]
> > Hiromi Uehara
> > > - Which composer to raise the dead ?...
> > Better leave them where they are.
> > > - Which work to celebrate life ?...
> > >
> > > I ask the questions...
> > Nosey as usual. C'est tellement français ....
> > > NB : I obviously do not expect many answers !...
> > Hypocrite liar, you know you will get many
> > more answers than you can digest.
> Add Bruckner to dislikes.
> Add Haydn, Moewszart, Mawler to work by work.
>
> In case you haven't already figured this out, I am
> rejecting the centrality of German composers and
> German music in the classical music universe. It
> is time to end the near monopoly German music
> has been exerting for centuries on people's feeble
> tasteless ears and brains. German engineering is
> great for mechanical and electrical devices, not
> so much for the performing arts.
>
> Melmoth is curiously not asking about conductors

Also just noticed he isn't asking about interpreters
people don't like. He is obviously afraid of hearing
what listeners really think about Arrau, Brendull
and Purrahia.

dk

Re: KNOW YOU BETTER...

<08380215-cd56-4d30-87a6-f9fd7bde71can@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=44365&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#44365

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2022 14:38:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: dan.ko...@gmail.com (Dan Koren)
 by: Dan Koren - Sun, 21 Aug 2022 21:38 UTC

On Saturday, August 20, 2022 at 2:01:55 PM UTC-7, Dan Koren wrote:

> > - Which Music to accompany your death?...
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N2YwyHg5iU
> > - Who to play at your funeral?...
> Hiromi Uehara

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5H50WJEyyqY

dk

Re: KNOW YOU BETTER...

<3238c57e-888c-4820-87a9-4d99fb7edc19n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=44380&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#44380

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2022 15:50:49 -0700 (PDT)
From: hvtu...@xs4all.nl (HT)
 by: HT - Sun, 21 Aug 2022 22:50 UTC

Op zondag 21 augustus 2022 om 23:38:14 UTC+2 schreef dan....@gmail.com:
> On Saturday, August 20, 2022 at 2:01:55 PM UTC-7, Dan Koren wrote:
> >
> > > - Which Music to accompany your death?...
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N2YwyHg5iU
> > > - Who to play at your funeral?...
> > Hiromi Uehara
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5H50WJEyyqY
>
> dk

Even at funerals, it will be a pleasure to listen to her. <g> Although it isn't jazz. Too civilized.

BTW, I love the simplicity of her Blackbird versions.

Henk

Re: KNOW YOU BETTER...

<b4b4f98e-45aa-4baf-9d4f-013f96598803n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=44383&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#44383

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2022 16:01:33 -0700 (PDT)
From: dan.ko...@gmail.com (Dan Koren)
 by: Dan Koren - Sun, 21 Aug 2022 23:01 UTC

On Sunday, August 21, 2022 at 3:50:51 PM UTC-7, hvt...@xs4all.nl wrote:

> > > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N2YwyHg5iU
> > > Hiromi Uehara
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5H50WJEyyqY
>
> Even at funerals, it will be a pleasure to listen
> to her. <g> Although it isn't jazz. Too civilized.

Thanks for your kind agreement. I do not really
care how music is labeled and tagged, jazz or
no jazz, only how it sounds. Unfortunately, very
few poeple in this ng (you, me, anyone else?)
understand piano playing in enough depth to
appreciate what she does on the keyboard --
the touch, the articulation, the phrasing, the
colors and the tone control! Out of this world!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-02CXhGXCQ

She is absolutely one of the greatest pianists
ever. Maybe La Wang could find some time to
take lessons.

dk

Re: KNOW YOU BETTER...

<1b0328ce-13e7-4025-a823-bf81c85d11fbn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=44385&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#44385

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2022 16:16:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: dan.ko...@gmail.com (Dan Koren)
 by: Dan Koren - Sun, 21 Aug 2022 23:16 UTC

On Sunday, August 21, 2022 at 4:01:36 PM UTC-7, Dan Koren wrote:
> On Sunday, August 21, 2022 at 3:50:51 PM UTC-7, hvt...@xs4all.nl wrote:

> > > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5H50WJEyyqY
> >
> > Even at funerals, it will be a pleasure to listen
> > to her. <g> Although it isn't jazz. Too civilized.
> Thanks for your kind agreement. I do not really
> care how music is labeled and tagged, jazz or
> no jazz, only how it sounds. Unfortunately, very
> few poeple in this ng (you, me, anyone else?)
> understand piano playing in enough depth to
> appreciate what she does on the keyboard --
> the touch, the articulation, the phrasing, the
> colors and the tone control! Out of this world!
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-02CXhGXCQ
>
> She is absolutely one of the greatest pianists
> ever. Maybe La Wang could find some time to
> take lessons.

Someone once said about Hiromi "she never
plays the same way once!". Here is evidence:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CY5dTBhRxOA

dk

Re: KNOW YOU BETTER...

<tduete$g65$1@hope.eyrie.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=44386&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#44386

From: mcc...@medieval.org (Todd M. McComb)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2022 23:25:34 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: todd@pangkur.medieval.org (Todd M. McComb)
 by: Todd M. McComb - Sun, 21 Aug 2022 23:25 UTC

In article <1b0328ce-13e7-4025-a823-bf81c85d11fbn@googlegroups.com>,
Dan Koren <dan.koren@gmail.com> wrote:
>Someone once said about Hiromi "she never plays the same way once!".

Maybe you should hear Satoko Fujii....

Re: KNOW YOU BETTER...

<19bf61fa-53d2-4e63-b486-84b5d80feaccn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=44387&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#44387

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2022 16:35:26 -0700 (PDT)
From: dan.ko...@gmail.com (Dan Koren)
 by: Dan Koren - Sun, 21 Aug 2022 23:35 UTC

On Sunday, August 21, 2022 at 4:25:38 PM UTC-7, Todd M. McComb wrote:
> In article <1b0328ce-13e7-4025...@googlegroups.com>,
> Dan Koren <dan....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Someone once said about Hiromi
> > "she never plays the same way once!".
>
> Maybe you should hear Satoko Fujii....

Of course i have. Very different styles.

Otherwise this reinforces my view
Japan is now the world center of
jazz piano.

dk

Re: KNOW YOU BETTER...

<7dfecf78-eb24-408c-b064-6061f5fb088cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=44389&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#44389

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2022 16:50:16 -0700 (PDT)
From: raymond....@gmail.com (raymond....@gmail.com)
 by: raymond....@gmail.co - Sun, 21 Aug 2022 23:50 UTC

On Monday, 22 August 2022 at 09:17:00 UTC+10, dan....gmail.com wrote:
> On Sunday, August 21, 2022 at 4:01:36 PM UTC-7, Dan Koren wrote:

> > > Even at funerals, it will be a pleasure to listen
> > > to her. <g> Although it isn't jazz. Too civilized.
> > Thanks for your kind agreement. I do not really
> > care how music is labeled and tagged, jazz or
> > no jazz, only how it sounds. Unfortunately, very
> > few poeple in this ng (you, me, anyone else?)
> > understand piano playing in enough depth to
> > appreciate what she does on the keyboard --
> > the touch, the articulation, the phrasing, the
> > colors and the tone control! Out of this world!
> >
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-02CXhGXCQ
> >
> > She is absolutely one of the greatest pianists
> > ever. Maybe La Wang could find some time to
> > take lessons.
> Someone once said about Hiromi "she never
> plays the same way once!". Here is evidence:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CY5dTBhRxOA
>
> dk

Players like Hiromi explore what a piano can do without sounding ugly. Pianos were made for jazz.

Ray Hall, Tare

Re: KNOW YOU BETTER...

<08afde9f-3ce0-4c30-87e7-e285e97cb910n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=44390&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#44390

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2022 17:05:50 -0700 (PDT)
From: dan.ko...@gmail.com (Dan Koren)
 by: Dan Koren - Mon, 22 Aug 2022 00:05 UTC

On Sunday, August 21, 2022 at 4:50:18 PM UTC-7, raymond....@gmail.com wrote:
> On Monday, 22 August 2022 at 09:17:00 UTC+10, dan....gmail.com wrote:

> > > Thanks for your kind agreement. I do not really
> > > care how music is labeled and tagged, jazz or
> > > no jazz, only how it sounds. Unfortunately, very
> > > few poeple in this ng (you, me, anyone else?)
> > > understand piano playing in enough depth to
> > > appreciate what she does on the keyboard --
> > > the touch, the articulation, the phrasing, the
> > > colors and the tone control! Out of this world!
> > >
> > > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-02CXhGXCQ
> > >
> > > She is absolutely one of the greatest pianists
> > > ever. Maybe La Wang could find some time to
> > > take lessons.
> > Someone once said about Hiromi "she never
> > plays the same way once!". Here is evidence:
> >
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CY5dTBhRxOA
>
> Players like Hiromi explore what a piano can do
> without sounding ugly. Pianos were made for jazz.

Bingo! ;-)

dk

Re: KNOW YOU BETTER...

<41e7e6ca-a1c4-4aff-9331-fd1cce827049n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=44393&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#44393

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2022 21:04:33 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyberi...@hotmail.com (number_six)
 by: number_six - Mon, 22 Aug 2022 04:04 UTC

On Friday, August 19, 2022 at 7:28:45 AM UTC-7, MELMOTH wrote:
> Getting to know you better, O friends of RMCR...
>
> - Favorite composers ?...

for me, Bach is unsurpassed, but I can find at least something to admire or enjoy from most (not all) of the 250 or so best-known composers, so I'll list just a few composers I like but about whom others here seldom post --

G Bryars, S ten Holt, M Miyagi, C Stone, M Theodorakis, T Susato

Re: KNOW YOU BETTER...

<ee018c41-3644-4339-a042-303fb63e23b2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=44394&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#44394

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2022 21:15:00 -0700 (PDT)
From: ggggg9...@gmail.com (gggg gggg)
 by: gggg gggg - Mon, 22 Aug 2022 04:15 UTC

On Sunday, August 21, 2022 at 9:04:35 PM UTC-7, number_six wrote:
> On Friday, August 19, 2022 at 7:28:45 AM UTC-7, MELMOTH wrote:
> > Getting to know you better, O friends of RMCR...
> >
> > - Favorite composers ?...
>
> for me, Bach is unsurpassed, but I can find at least something to admire or enjoy from most (not all) of the 250 or so best-known composers, so I'll list just a few composers I like but about whom others here seldom post --
>
> G Bryars, S ten Holt, M Miyagi, C Stone, M Theodorakis, T Susato

Concerning "M. Miyagi", do you mean the composer of "Spring Sea"?

Re: KNOW YOU BETTER...

<76a95db1-e1a4-4b31-af2f-baae0b1a67d0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=44396&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#44396

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2022 21:58:08 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyberi...@hotmail.com (number_six)
 by: number_six - Mon, 22 Aug 2022 04:58 UTC

On Sunday, August 21, 2022 at 9:15:02 PM UTC-7, gggg gggg wrote:
> On Sunday, August 21, 2022 at 9:04:35 PM UTC-7, number_six wrote:
> > On Friday, August 19, 2022 at 7:28:45 AM UTC-7, MELMOTH wrote:
> > > Getting to know you better, O friends of RMCR...
> > >
> > > - Favorite composers ?...
> >
> > for me, Bach is unsurpassed, but I can find at least something to admire or enjoy from most (not all) of the 250 or so best-known composers, so I'll list just a few composers I like but about whom others here seldom post --
> >
> > G Bryars, S ten Holt, M Miyagi, C Stone, M Theodorakis, T Susato
> Concerning "M. Miyagi", do you mean the composer of "Spring Sea"?

yes -- i was too lazy to type Miyagi Michio -- but now i seem to've done it after all