When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout.

arts / rec.arts.drwho / Re: Doctor Who - Legends of the Sea Devils review with Spoilers

SubjectAuthor
* Doctor Who - Legends of the Sea Devils review with SpoilersBlueshirt
`* Doctor Who - Legends of the Sea Devils review with SpoilersThe Other Doctor
 +- Doctor Who - Legends of the Sea Devils review with SpoilersThe Last Doctor
 +* Doctor Who - Legends of the Sea Devils review with SpoilersAndy Leighton
 |`- Doctor Who - Legends of the Sea Devils review with SpoilersBlueshirt
 +* Doctor Who - Legends of the Sea Devils review with SpoilersThe Other Doctor
 |+* Doctor Who - Legends of the Sea Devils review with SpoilersThe Other Doctor
 ||`* Doctor Who - Legends of the Sea Devils review with SpoilersDaniel65
 || +* Doctor Who - Legends of the Sea Devils review with Spoilerssolar penguin
 || |+- Doctor Who - Legends of the Sea Devils review with SpoilersThe Last Doctor
 || |`* Doctor Who - Legends of the Sea Devils review with Spoilerssolar penguin
 || | `* Doctor Who - Legends of the Sea Devils review with Spoilerssolar penguin
 || |  `* Doctor Who - Legends of the Sea Devils review with SpoilersDaniel65
 || |   `* Doctor Who - Legends of the Sea Devils review with SpoilersDaniel65
 || |    `* Doctor Who - Legends of the Sea Devils review with SpoilersDaniel65
 || |     `- Doctor Who - Legends of the Sea Devils review with SpoilersDaniel65
 || `* Doctor Who - Legends of the Sea Devils review with SpoilersDaniel65
 ||  `* Doctor Who - Legends of the Sea Devils review with SpoilersDaniel65
 ||   `- Doctor Who - Legends of the Sea Devils review with SpoilersDaniel65
 |`* Doctor Who - Legends of the Sea Devils review with SpoilersDaniel65
 | `- Doctor Who - Legends of the Sea Devils review with SpoilersDaniel65
 +* Doctor Who - Legends of the Sea Devils review with Spoilerssolar penguin
 |`- Doctor Who - Legends of the Sea Devils review with Spoilerssolar penguin
 `* Doctor Who - Legends of the Sea Devils review with SpoilersBlueshirt
  +* Doctor Who - Legends of the Sea Devils review with Spoilerssolar penguin
  |`* Doctor Who - Legends of the Sea Devils review with Spoilerssolar penguin
  | +* Doctor Who - Legends of the Sea Devils review with Spoilerssolar penguin
  | |`- Doctor Who - Legends of the Sea Devils review with Spoilerssolar penguin
  | `- Doctor Who - Legends of the Sea Devils review with SpoilersDaniel65
  +* Doctor Who - Legends of the Sea Devils review with SpoilersBlueshirt
  |+* Doctor Who - Legends of the Sea Devils review with Spoilerssolar penguin
  ||`- Doctor Who - Legends of the Sea Devils review with SpoilersThe Last Doctor
  |`- Doctor Who - Legends of the Sea Devils review with SpoilersBlueshirt
  +* Doctor Who - Legends of the Sea Devils review with SpoilersBlueshirt
  |+- Doctor Who - Legends of the Sea Devils review with SpoilersBlueshirt
  |`- Doctor Who - Legends of the Sea Devils review with SpoilersBlueshirt
  `* Doctor Who - Legends of the Sea Devils review with SpoilersBlueshirt
   `- Doctor Who - Legends of the Sea Devils review with SpoilersDaniel65

Pages:12
Re: Doctor Who - Legends of the Sea Devils review with Spoilers

<t3j588$s2l$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6073&group=rec.arts.drwho#6073

From: bluesh...@indigo.news (Blueshirt)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho,uk.media.tv.sf.drwho
Subject: Re: Doctor Who - Legends of the Sea Devils review with Spoilers
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 07:50:33 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Blueshirt - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 07:50 UTC

The Doctor wrote:
> Not even this new fangled Sea Devil can save this trash.
>
> 0/10 ! Why?

Your review and 0/10 rating was completely predictable.

Re: Doctor Who - Legends of the Sea Devils review with Spoilers

<t3jcv6$m3l$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6076&group=rec.arts.drwho#6076

From: stephen....@ntlworld.com (The Other Doctor)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho,uk.media.tv.sf.drwho
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 11:03:07 +0100
 by: The Other Doctor - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 10:03 UTC

"Blueshirt" <blueshirt@indigo.news> wrote in message
> The Doctor wrote:
>
>> Not even this new fangled Sea Devil can save this trash.
>>
>> 0/10 ! Why?
>
> Your review and 0/10 rating was completely predictable.

He's going to have a field day with the overnight ratings. Something along
the lines of 2.2 million. At least he won't be able to call for Chibnall and
Whittaker to be sacked. But he also won't put the ratings into any sort of
context. I haven't watched the show yet - I was busy yesterday. But I expect
it'll be a bit of fun when I do. Yads and Aggy both watched it, and they
both knew they were going to hate it. But then, I live in 2022. They're
still trapped in the seventies. Oh, and I have a life. I'm not sure if they
do...

Re: Doctor Who - Legends of the Sea Devils review with Spoilers

<t3jej4$16c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6077&group=rec.arts.drwho#6077

From: mik...@xenocyte.com (The Last Doctor)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho,uk.media.tv.sf.drwho
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 10:29:56 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:H/13AMYsVSD5i4lh98DAjGTKC5I=
 by: The Last Doctor - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 10:29 UTC

The Other Doctor <stephen.wilson2004nospam@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> "Blueshirt" <blueshirt@indigo.news> wrote in message
>> The Doctor wrote:
>>
>>> Not even this new fangled Sea Devil can save this trash.
>>>
>>> 0/10 ! Why?
>>
>> Your review and 0/10 rating was completely predictable.
>
> He's going to have a field day with the overnight ratings. Something along
> the lines of 2.2 million. At least he won't be able to call for Chibnall and
> Whittaker to be sacked. But he also won't put the ratings into any sort of
> context. I haven't watched the show yet - I was busy yesterday. But I expect
> it'll be a bit of fun when I do. Yads and Aggy both watched it, and they
> both knew they were going to hate it. But then, I live in 2022. They're
> still trapped in the seventies. Oh, and I have a life. I'm not sure if they
> do...

And it was up against the first week of new Britain’s Got Talent, which had
skipped a year after the huge challenges they faced in 2020. Loathe it or
hate it, BGT is one of the biggest shows on TV and kids love it. 7 and 28
day results will give a better feel for what the viewership really was.

--
There are some corners of the universe
which have bred the most terrible things.

They must be /fought/.

Re: Doctor Who - Legends of the Sea Devils review with Spoilers

<slrnt5qiij.3ums5.andyl@azaal.plus.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6086&group=rec.arts.drwho#6086

Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho,uk.media.tv.sf.drwho
From: and...@azaal.plus.com (Andy Leighton)
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 06:24:03 -0500
 by: Andy Leighton - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 11:24 UTC

On Mon, 18 Apr 2022 11:03:07 +0100, The Other Doctor <stephen.wilson2004nospam@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> "Blueshirt" <blueshirt@indigo.news> wrote in message
>> The Doctor wrote:
>>
>>> Not even this new fangled Sea Devil can save this trash.
>>>
>>> 0/10 ! Why?
>>
>> Your review and 0/10 rating was completely predictable.
>
> He's going to have a field day with the overnight ratings. Something along
> the lines of 2.2 million. At least he won't be able to call for Chibnall and
> Whittaker to be sacked. But he also won't put the ratings into any sort of
> context. I haven't watched the show yet - I was busy yesterday. But I expect
> it'll be a bit of fun when I do.

Wasn't great, wasn't crap, just average. To be honest I was expecting more
considering it is part of a series of 'specials'.

--
Andy Leighton => andyl@azaal.plus.com
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

Re: Doctor Who - Legends of the Sea Devils review with Spoilers

<t3jjbs$206$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6094&group=rec.arts.drwho#6094

From: stephen....@ntlworld.com (The Other Doctor)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 12:52:13 +0100
 by: The Other Doctor - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 11:52 UTC

"tsbru...@gmail.com" <tsbrueni264@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Yads and Aggie can call on RTD to have Peter Capaldi wake up in the TARDIS
> shower from the past 3 Series, and then regenerate into a man!

Yes Tim, they could. No Tim, they won't.

Even if they did manage to contact RTD, he's got better things to do than
wade through their gibberish. And even if he worked out any of their
demands, he'd completely ignore them. He's going to do it his way, not
theirs. And it's not something Peter Capaldi would do, either. Apart from
the fact he's got no desire to return to Doctor Who, he's got absolutely no
problem with the Doctor being played by a woman.

Tell you what though, Tim - if it's something you want so desperately, why
don't you write to RTD yourself?

Re: Doctor Who - Legends of the Sea Devils review with Spoilers

<t3jksj$ctc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6099&group=rec.arts.drwho#6099

From: stephen....@ntlworld.com (The Other Doctor)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 13:18:08 +0100
 by: The Other Doctor - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 12:18 UTC

"tsbr...@gmail.com" <tsbrueni@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Monday, April 18, 2022 at 4:51:27 AM UTC-7, The Other Doctor wrote:
>> "tsbru...@gmail.com" <tsbru...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > Yads and Aggie can call on RTD to have Peter Capaldi wake up in the
>> > TARDIS
>> > shower from the past 3 Series, and then regenerate into a man!
>> Yes Tim, they could. No Tim, they won't.
>>
>> Even if they did manage to contact RTD, he's got better things to do than
>> wade through their gibberish. And even if he worked out any of their
>> demands, he'd completely ignore them. He's going to do it his way, not
>> theirs. And it's not something Peter Capaldi would do, either. Apart from
>> the fact he's got no desire to return to Doctor Who, he's got absolutely
>> no
>> problem with the Doctor being played by a woman.
>
> Peter Capaldi would only need to return for a few minutes to redo the
> regeneration scene!

Why are you struggling with this so much, Tim? RTD doesn't want Capaldi to
redo the regeneration scene. Capaldi doesn't want to redo the regeneration
scene. Capaldi was the 12th Doctor. Whittaker is the 13th Doctor. The next
actor will be the 14th Doctor, whether you like it or not.

Re: Doctor Who - Legends of the Sea Devils review with Spoilers

<t3kfev$fk5$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6127&group=rec.arts.drwho#6127

From: bluesh...@indigo.news (Blueshirt)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho,uk.media.tv.sf.drwho
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 20:50:20 +0100
 by: Blueshirt - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 19:50 UTC

Andy Leighton wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Apr 2022 11:03:07 +0100, The Other Doctor
> <stephen.wilson2004nospam@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
> Wasn't great, wasn't crap, just average. To be honest I was
> expecting more considering it is part of a series of 'specials'.

"Legend of the Sea Devils" is probably the most un-special of all the
'specials' so far it must be said. So I also thought it was an
average episode... it was a bit of a fun romp though.

The new 'pirate' Sea Devil's are kind of cool but I think I prefer
the menace of the originals walking out of the sea. (Maybe if I was
seven year's old again I might have found these versions scary!)

Re: Doctor Who - Legends of the Sea Devils review with Spoilers

<t3m5mq$7lt$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6158&group=rec.arts.drwho#6158

From: danie...@eternal-september.org (Daniel65)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 21:16:50 +1000
 by: Daniel65 - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 11:16 UTC

tsbr...@gmail.com wrote on 19/4/22 3:50 am:
> On Monday, April 18, 2022 at 5:17:25 AM UTC-7, The Other Doctor
> wrote:
>> "tsbr...@gmail.com" <tsbr...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> Peter Capaldi would only need to return for a few minutes to redo
>>> the regeneration scene!
>> Why are you struggling with this so much, Tim? RTD doesn't want
>> Capaldi to redo the regeneration scene. Capaldi doesn't want to
>> redo the regeneration scene. Capaldi was the 12th Doctor. Whittaker
>> is the 13th Doctor. The next actor will be the 14th Doctor, whether
>> you like it or not.
>
> But the new drama chief could ORDER RTD to redo the regeneration
> scene and retcon the Jodie Era as per the Dallas Shower Scene.
> Viewership has been falling over the past two Series, which would
> give the new drama chief a logical reason to issue said order.

"could ORDER RTD to redo the regeneration scene" ..... *could* , Tim,
but will not!!
--
Daniel

Re: Doctor Who - Legends of the Sea Devils review with Spoilers

<t3m8e7$uei$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6163&group=rec.arts.drwho#6163

From: solar.pe...@gmail.com (solar penguin)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 12:03:19 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:Q8pLuxoafFmFlBeaeWzGGTuGK/A=
 by: solar penguin - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 12:03 UTC

Tim typed:

> Wouldn't the drastic viewship decline to 2.2 million be
> a sufficient reason to order the retcon?

_All_ linear broadcast TV drama has drastically declining
viewership these days. Even shows that BBC actually cares
about, like EastEnders. One more declining drama isn’t
going to deserve special attention.

--
solar penguin

Re: Doctor Who - Legends of the Sea Devils review with Spoilers

<t3mb0k$i19$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6166&group=rec.arts.drwho#6166

From: mik...@xenocyte.com (The Last Doctor)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 12:47:16 -0000 (UTC)
<t3m8e7$uei$1@dont-email.me>
sha1:PmyXAtzdplDtYvxEUBwVFU8eIRQ=
 by: The Last Doctor - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 12:47 UTC

solar penguin <solar.penguin@gmail.com> wrote:

> Tim typed:
>

>> Wouldn't the drastic viewship decline to 2.2 million be
>> a sufficient reason to order the retcon?
>>

> _All_ linear broadcast TV drama has drastically declining
> viewership these days. Even shows that BBC actually cares
> about, like EastEnders. One more declining drama isn’t
> going to deserve special attention.

A couple of examples to set context (the appalling Aggie hates context.
Context destroys his arguments).

* The BBC’s flagship period drama “Gentleman Jack” in its first season
opener a couple of years ago (an unknown show, not an already perceived
success) got 5.1m overnight. It returned for a second season on April 10th.
It got 3.1m viewers overnight. But on the 17th, the second episode got
2.3m, just barely edging Doctor Who into third place drama for the day.

* ITV ran a new 6 part adaptation of The Ipcress File recently in a prime
drama slot. The final episode pulled in 1.9m viewers.

* The BBC’s highly acclaimed divorce lawyer drama The Split, back for its
third season, is drawing in 2.1m per episode, down from 3.5m for season 2
in 2020.

Aggie will tell you these aren’t the same kinds of show as Doctor Who. And
he’s right - they aren’t. They’re the sort of show that BBC and ITV get
their best numbers with - the massive successes. And those best numbers are
tiny compared to days gone by.

In terms of overnight viewers in years gone by, it’s true that “Sea Devils”
at 2.2m overnight would be considered to be doing poorly. But in the
landscape of British broadcast TV in 2022, it’s still a solid performer.
Probably doing a little better than I would say it deserves at present, to
be honest.

--
There are some corners of the universe
which have bred the most terrible things.
Things which act against everything we believe in.

They must be /fought/.

Re: Doctor Who - Legends of the Sea Devils review with Spoilers

<t3mi9c$bv8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6170&group=rec.arts.drwho#6170

From: solar.pe...@gmail.com (solar penguin)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 14:51:24 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:8MGNHRtbzPs8qSlih03QibmpamM=
 by: solar penguin - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 14:51 UTC

Binky bleated:

> In article <t3m8e7$uei$1@dont-email.me>,
> solar penguin <solar.penguin@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Tim typed:
>>

>>> Wouldn't the drastic viewship decline to 2.2 million be
>>> a sufficient reason to order the retcon?
>>>

>> _All_ linear broadcast TV drama has drastically declining
>> viewership these days. Even shows that BBC actually cares
>> about, like EastEnders. One more declining drama isn’t
>> going to deserve special attention.
>>

> You wonder why the decline.

Liar! I don’t wonder why.

--
solar penguin

Re: Doctor Who - Legends of the Sea Devils review with Spoilers

<t3n67n$b8d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6177&group=rec.arts.drwho#6177

From: solar.pe...@gmail.com (solar penguin)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 20:31:52 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:P3epGNw7y1KmtaQUHem8j0PxrU8=
 by: solar penguin - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 20:31 UTC

Binky bleated:

> In article <t3mi9c$bv8$1@dont-email.me>,
> solar penguin <solar.penguin@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Binky bleated:

>>> You wonder why the decline.
>>>

>> Liar! I don’t wonder why.
>>

> Given the hicks running the shows...

Liar! I haven’t been given any hicks.

--
solar penguin

Re: Doctor Who - Legends of the Sea Devils review with Spoilers

<t3n6cm$ccs$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6178&group=rec.arts.drwho#6178

From: solar.pe...@gmail.com (solar penguin)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 20:34:30 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:yZaKb0Fpw+ZPD6Wlhluo0rEzmPo=
 by: solar penguin - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 20:34 UTC

Tim typed:

> Lowest overnight figures ever! This should logically
> lead to an emergency BBC executives' meeting.

Do you want BBC executives to hold emergency meetings
every time any show has its lowest overnight figures? Or
only DW?

--
solar penguin

Re: Doctor Who - Legends of the Sea Devils review with Spoilers

<t3n838$p24$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6184&group=rec.arts.drwho#6184

From: bluesh...@indigo.news (Blueshirt)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 21:03:37 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Blueshirt - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 21:03 UTC

tsbr...@gmail.com wrote:

> On Monday, April 18, 2022 at 3:02:16 AM UTC-7, The Other Doctor wrote:
> > He's going to have a field day with the overnight ratings.
> > Something along the lines of 2.2 million. At least he won't be able
> > to call for Chibnall and Whittaker to be sacked. But he also won't
> > put the ratings into any sort of context.
>
> Lowest overnight figures ever! This should logically lead to an
> emergency BBC executives' meeting.

Why? The current "Doctor Who" Executive Producer is being replaced.
What would an emergency meeting decide to do, sack Chibnall?!!!

Re: Doctor Who - Legends of the Sea Devils review with Spoilers

<t3n8k8$t26$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6185&group=rec.arts.drwho#6185

From: solar.pe...@gmail.com (solar penguin)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 21:12:40 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:1VK+NpT3u70LC8HiCHq6dXgF3zw=
 by: solar penguin - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 21:12 UTC

Tim typed:

> Legend of the Sea Devils was down 1.01 million from
> Eve of the Daleks, which was itself down 1.22 million
> from S13E01! Its the biggest episode to episode drop
> I can remember! The drop appears severe enough to
> warrant an emergency meeting.

A whole emergency meeting just to discuss one show
that the BBC doesn’t even care about and which will be
getting a major makeover in a couple of episodes anyway?

It doesn’t seem likely to me.

Don’t forget, the BBC is a bureaucratic organisation. Even
if there were an emergency meeting, the decision would
be “just wait until after that major makeover and see if
it improves things.”

--
solar penguin

Re: Doctor Who - Legends of the Sea Devils review with Spoilers

<t3na5g$9eo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6186&group=rec.arts.drwho#6186

From: solar.pe...@gmail.com (solar penguin)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 21:38:57 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:BZy3jm0pYRyL4wm7CXvfIQB7B8Y=
 by: solar penguin - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 21:38 UTC

Tim typed:

> On Tuesday, April 19, 2022 at 2:03:39 PM UTC-7, Blueshirt wrote:
>> tsbr...@gmail.com wrote:
>>

>>> Lowest overnight figures ever! This should logically
>>> lead to an emergency BBC executives' meeting.
>>>

>> Why? The current "Doctor Who" Executive Producer
>> is being replaced. What would an emergency meeting
>> decide to do, sack Chibnall?!!!
>>

> They can order RTD to retcon the entire Jodie Era.

Why would they? What practical results would they think
it would bring? What real, noticeable difference would
they expect it to make?

--
solar penguin

Re: Doctor Who - Legends of the Sea Devils review with Spoilers

<t3o9io$4m0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6190&group=rec.arts.drwho#6190

From: bluesh...@indigo.news (Blueshirt)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 06:35:04 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Blueshirt - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 06:35 UTC

tsbr...@gmail.com wrote:

> On Tuesday, April 19, 2022 at 2:03:39 PM UTC-7, Blueshirt wrote:
> > tsbr...@gmail.com wrote:
> > Why? The current "Doctor Who" Executive Producer is being replaced.
> > What would an emergency meeting decide to do, sack Chibnall?!!!
>
> They can order RTD to retcon the entire Jodie Era.

RTD will take the show in the direction that he wants, and he'll very
probably just ignore a lot of what went on during Jodie's era... the
14th Doctor will be a new era for the show.

Re: Doctor Who - Legends of the Sea Devils review with Spoilers

<t3o9iq$4m0$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6193&group=rec.arts.drwho#6193

From: bluesh...@indigo.news (Blueshirt)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 06:35:06 -0000 (UTC)

The Doctor wrote:
> In article <t3n838$p24$1@dont-email.me>,
> Blueshirt <blueshirt@indigo.news> wrote:
> > tsbr...@gmail.com wrote:
> >> Lowest overnight figures ever! This should logically lead to an
> >> emergency BBC executives' meeting.
> >
> > Why? The current "Doctor Who" Executive Producer is being replaced.
> > What would an emergency meeting decide to do, sack Chibnall?!!!
>
> OR cancel the special and give a clear warning
> to the next showrunner to retcon The Timeless child.

Don't be stupid! The next "Doctor Who" episode will [probably] end with
the regeneration of the 13th Doctor. So logically, if that episode was
cancelled you'd be stuck with the 13th Doctor forever!!!

Re: Doctor Who - Legends of the Sea Devils review with Spoilers

<t3o9iq$4m0$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6194&group=rec.arts.drwho#6194

From: bluesh...@indigo.news (Blueshirt)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 06:35:06 -0000 (UTC)

The Doctor wrote:
> In article <3f6d7e3f-3751-4588-885b-25c0c162da97n@googlegroups.com>,
> tsbr...@gmail.com <tsbrueni@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Why? The current "Doctor Who" Executive Producer is being
> >> replaced. What would an emergency meeting decide to do, sack
> >> Chibnall?!!!
> >
> > They can order RTD to retcon the entire Jodie Era.
>
> Sensible suggestion.

Only the two dimwits of RADW would think that was a "sensible"
suggestion.

Re: Doctor Who - Legends of the Sea Devils review with Spoilers

<t3oasu$d2p$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6199&group=rec.arts.drwho#6199

From: solar.pe...@gmail.com (solar penguin)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 06:57:34 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:5gorXt0VRlag5Amk+sNaqbz/edQ=
 by: solar penguin - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 06:57 UTC

Binky bleated:

> In article <t3na5g$9eo$1@dont-email.me>,
> solar penguin <solar.penguin@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Tim typed:

>>> They can order RTD to retcon the entire Jodie Era.
>>>

>> Why would they? What practical results would they think
>> it would bring? What real, noticeable difference would
>> they expect it to make?
>>

> You get the respactable fans back and not the suckups!

Do you think the BBC executives care whether the fans
watching are the “respectable” ones or not? Do you think
they care enough to hold a special emergency meeting
about it?

And since you’ve been watching the show all this time,
does that make you a non-respectable suckup?

--
solar penguin

Re: Doctor Who - Legends of the Sea Devils review with Spoilers

<t3ogfs$k2h$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6212&group=rec.arts.drwho#6212

From: solar.pe...@gmail.com (solar penguin)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 08:33:00 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:j0BAbB9AT5rI7Drj9nxWe9mBmPI=
 by: solar penguin - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 08:33 UTC

Tim typed:

> On Tuesday, April 19, 2022 at 11:57:37 PM UTC-7, solar penguin wrote:
>>
>> Binky bleated:

>>> You get the respactable fans back and not the suckups!
>>>

>> Do you think the BBC executives care whether the fans
>> watching are the “respectable” ones or not? Do you think
>> they care enough to hold a special emergency meeting
>> about it?
>>

> Yads clearly thinks that "repactable fans" > the "suckups"!

He isn’t a BBC executive. We were discussing what BBC
executives would do.

The executives don’t know or even care about what Yads
thinks. (They’re lucky!)

--
solar penguin

Re: Doctor Who - Legends of the Sea Devils review with Spoilers

<bde69870-f470-48da-a2b9-d93db84faa86n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6215&group=rec.arts.drwho#6215

Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 02:26:56 -0700 (PDT)
From: solar.pe...@gmail.com (solar penguin)
 by: solar penguin - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 09:26 UTC

Tim typed:
> On Tuesday, April 19, 2022 at 11:35:06 PM UTC-7, Blueshirt wrote:
> > tsbr...@gmail.com wrote:
> >

> > > They can order RTD to retcon the entire Jodie Era.
> >
> > RTD will take the show in the direction that he wants, and he'll very
> > probably just ignore a lot of what went on during Jodie's era... the
> > 14th Doctor will be a new era for the show.
>
> So he could pull a Dallas shower scene type retcon!

He could, but he won't. Why would he? What practical results would
he think it could bring? What real, noticeable difference would he
expect it to make?

Re: Doctor Who - Legends of the Sea Devils review with Spoilers

<t3oo2r$cd4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6216&group=rec.arts.drwho#6216

From: mik...@xenocyte.com (The Last Doctor)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 10:42:35 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:bgs/E+6gF10TN7pztjrVU8g/TX8=
 by: The Last Doctor - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 10:42 UTC

solar penguin <solar.penguin@gmail.com> wrote:

> Tim typed:

>>> RTD will take the show in the direction that he wants, and he'll very
>>> probably just ignore a lot of what went on during Jodie's era... the
>>> 14th Doctor will be a new era for the show.
>>
>> So he could pull a Dallas shower scene type retcon!
>
> He could, but he won't. Why would he? What practical results would
> he think it could bring? What real, noticeable difference would he
> expect it to make?

What everyone should be aware of here is the context. And the context is
that the BBC has transferred day to day creative control of Doctor Who to
Bad Wolf Studios (now owned by Sony) and commissioned a 60th Anniversary
show and a season of shows (length unknown) from them, under the eye of
Russell T Davies, for 2023-2024. So the BBC no Ionger has its eye on the
ball as far as Doctor Who is concerned. Chris Chibnall has delivered all
his content for them (with the possible exception of some post production
work on Jodie’s final episode).

Bad Wolf may (or may not) provide a finish to the regeneration scene which
would reveal the identity of the next Doctor. But the show is certainly
going to get a soft reboot, with new music, new TARDIS interior, new look
and feel. So all we can do is wait.

But the BBC are done caring. If series 14 delivers what they want from it -
for the money the BBC is prepared to provide - then the show will go on. If
the BBC then no longer want the show, and are happy to take their cut on
the IP alone, then Bad Wolf will shop it around and the show will go on on
one of the global streaming services, and maybe the BBC will take it on a
cheap second run, a la the deal BBCA made with Amazon for Good Omens.

--
There are some corners of the universe
which have bred the most terrible things.
Things which act against everything we believe in.

They must be /fought/.

Re: Doctor Who - Legends of the Sea Devils review with Spoilers

<t3p1ma$qsq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6231&group=rec.arts.drwho#6231

From: danie...@eternal-september.org (Daniel65)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 23:26:31 +1000
 by: Daniel65 - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 13:26 UTC

The Doctor wrote on 20/04/2022 1:31 pm:
> In article <t3n67n$b8d$1@dont-email.me>,
> solar penguin <solar.penguin@gmail.com> wrote:

<Snip>

>> Liar! I haven’t been given any hicks.
>
> Hicks like Peris Wenger!

Who the hell is "Peris Wenger", clown??

I fed it into DuckDuckGo and it came up with lots of articles about
"Piers Wenger" and a lot of Photos of "Peris Wenger", but, when you
clicked on the photos, the person featured became "Piers Wenger", clown.

Oh! And by the way, clown .... (AKJV) Luke 6:42 Either how canst thou
say to thy brother, Brother, let me pull out the mote that is in thine
eye, when thou thyself beholdest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
Thou hypocrite, cast out first the beam out of thine own eye, and then
shalt thou see clearly to pull out the mote that is in thy brother’s eye.
--
Daniel

Re: Doctor Who - Legends of the Sea Devils review with Spoilers

<t3p234$ugr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6232&group=rec.arts.drwho#6232

From: danie...@eternal-september.org (Daniel65)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 23:33:21 +1000
 by: Daniel65 - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 13:33 UTC

The Doctor wrote on 19/04/2022 11:53 pm:
> In article <bdb4da8f-43f3-4bcc-b13e-509c71387817n@googlegroups.com>,
> tsbr...@gmail.com <tsbrueni@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> "could ORDER RTD to redo the regeneration scene" ..... *could* ,
>>> Tim, but will not!!
>>
>> Wouldn't the drastic viewship decline to 2.2 million be a
>> sufficient reason to order the retcon?
>
> Agreed with you Tim!
>
> Further!!
>
> From https://www.imdb.com/title/tt13469822/reviews/?ref_=tt_ql_urv
>
> 2/10 *Devils of the Caribbean*
> bosporan18 April 2022
> Carelessly written and earnestly delivered dialogue with dreadful
> diction made my ears bleed!
>
> Actors standing stiff on their heels on second-rate sets and an
> effects abomination made my eyes bleed!
>
> An appearance from Jack Sparrow might have rescued this unremitting
> cluster-muddle!

"Devils of the Caribbean"?? When the hell was this episode shown, cause
that's not the title of the episode I watched a few days ago??