Veni, Vidi, VISA: I came, I saw, I did a little shopping.

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / Re: The Maretian, a review with snark

SubjectAuthor
* The Maretian, a review with snarkWolffan
+* Re: The Maretian, a review with snarkted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
|+* Re: The Maretian, a review with snarkWolffan
||`- Re: The Maretian, a review with snarkDimensional Traveler
|+- Re: The Maretian, a review with snarkJibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
|`* Re: The Maretian, a review with snarkDavid Johnston
| +- Re: The Maretian, a review with snarkDavid Johnston
| +- Re: The Maretian, a review with snarkted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
| +* Re: The Maretian, a review with snarkPaul S Person
| |+* Re: The Maretian, a review with snarkMagewolf
| ||+* Re: The Maretian, a review with snarkJibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
| ||`* Re: The Maretian, a review with snarkDimensional Traveler
| || `* Re: The Maretian, a review with snarkWolffan
| ||  +- Re: The Maretian, a review with snarkDimensional Traveler
| ||  `* Re: The Maretian, a review with snarkQuadibloc
| ||   `- Re: The Maretian, a review with snarkWolffan
| |+* Re: The Maretian, a review with snarkMichael F. Stemper
| ||`- Re: The Maretian, a review with snarkDimensional Traveler
| |`* Re: The Maretian, a review with snarkDavid Johnston
| | `* Re: The Maretian, a review with snarkPaul S Person
| |  `* Re: The Maretian, a review with snarkJibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
| |   `* Re: The Maretian, a review with snarkPaul S Person
| |    `- Re: The Maretian, a review with snarkJibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
| `* Re: The Maretian, a review with snarkWolffan
|  `- Re: The Maretian, a review with snarkDavid Johnston
+* Re: The Maretian, a review with snarkQuadibloc
|`* Re: The Maretian, a review with snarkQuadibloc
| `- Re: The Maretian, a review with snarkLynn McGuire
`* Re: The Maretian, a review with snarkRoss Presser
 +- Re: The Maretian, a review with snarkMichael F. Stemper
 `- Re: The Maretian, a review with snarkWolffan

Pages:12
The Maretian, a review with snark

<0001HW.27F22D4C01CFAF6B70000DFFA38F@news.supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=71278&group=rec.arts.sf.written#71278

Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 13:52:12 -0400
From: akwolf...@zoho.com (Wolffan)
Subject: The Maretian, a review with snark
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
 by: Wolffan - Mon, 28 Mar 2022 17:52 UTC

No, that’s not a typo.

The Maretian is...

1. fanfic of The Martian. As in The Martian, Mark Watney is stranded on Mars.
As with The Martian, the plot revolves getting him home.

2. Kerbal Space Program fanfic. We find out why that highly unlikely
sandstorm hit in the first place; aliens from another universe who have a
very Kerbal-like attitude to spaceflight had (yet another) accident and ended
up on Mars. Their spacecraft’s drive, and the way the spacecraft arrived,
are what caused the storm. They are the reason why Mark Watney is stranded on
Mars.

3. and most importantly, and the reason for the name, it’s My Little Pony
fanfic. The aliens are three ponies, a changeling, and a dragon. Only the
dragon is male.

It’s perpetuated by noted uberbrony Kris Overstreet. A previous Overtreet
product had been Changeling Space Program, explicitly based on Kerbal Space
Program, just with ponies. And a minotaur named von Brawn. I’m not making
this up. The Mane Six (non-bronies, don’t worry about it, we’ll explain
later) and the various Princesses and Queen Chrysalis all show up. As do lots
of explosions.

The Fearless Five hadn’t planned on a long duration mission, this was to be
a test of the brand new Sparkle Drive. (And, yes, it’s named for it’s
inventor, Alicorn Princess and supermagicmare Twilight Sparkle, of the Mane
Six.) The Kerbal-like nature of their space program ensures that they take
insane risks, such as taking an untested spacecraft to the Mars analog in the
Ponyverse as a test flight. The Sparkle Drive is a classic wormhole drive, it
creates little blips in spacetime, the ship goes through the blip and comes
back out some distance away. It’s not really faster than light, as the ship
isn’t actually exceeding c, it’s just not in normal (for ponies)
spacetime. ANd it create a lot of blips in a very short time. And it works by
magic... of course, as everything in the Ponyverse works by magic. The
Fearless Five don’t have much supplies of any kind, they weren’t planning
(to such an extent as planning actually took place, see further both Kerbal
Space Programand the Ponyverse, there isn’t much planning in either) and
not much thought had been put into crew selection. Which is why they have
Starlight Glimmer, reformed supervillian ubermagicmare, Steely-Eyed Missile
Mare Cherry Berry, pilot extraordinaire despite being an earth pony and NOT a
pegasus. Dragonfly, a changeling infiltrator, Fireball, a bad-tempered dragon
(but I repeat myself) who was only in the spaceflight program because he was
ordered to go and really doesn’t want to be here, and Spitfire... a
pegasus, a guard, and, most importantly, a rookie. This is not an ideal mix.

So the pony’s ship closes in on Mars-analog and goes through a blip...but
this time when it comes back out into normal spacetime, it’s not in the
Ponyverse. Oops. This new universe has very little magiic. The magic drive
has significant problems. Cherry Berry, being the Best Pilot There Is,
manages to crashland the ship without killing anyone, or even significantly
hurting anyone. Except for Mark Watney, who got impaled by wreckage during
the storm that the magic drive created as it failed. Horseton, we have a
problem. (Houston, too.)

The rest of the Ares crew think that Mark is dead and bail through the storm
and head for home. Once the storm dies down (no more Sparkle Drive, no more
storm) the Fearless Five start to investigate, in classic Kerbal/pony
fashion, and quickly find out that there’s very little magic. They’re
stuck on Mars. Spitfire, the pegasus, can’t fly. Fireball, the dragon, can
only manage a flicker of flame. And Dragonfly, the changeling, who eats magic
(and emotions) is getting hungry. Cherry Berry has very few cherries, which
greatly distresses her; distressing the Steely-Eyed Missle Mare is a Bad
Idea. And Starlight Glimmer is certain that she messed up. (not a reach,
considering the Kerbal-like level of operations in the pony space program)

Then they find Mark Watney. After some confusion, there are attempts at
communication. Mark is really bad at speaking Pony; the ponies aren’t that
much better at English. Horseton still has no clue as to what happened.
Houston has some very long range imaging, and is Very Confused.

Watney now has to find food and shelter for six, three of whom are
herbivores, one who eats gemstones (yes, really) and one who eats magic...
and Love. (Capital ‘L’.) The Fearless Five know what Dragonfly eats, but
it’s not at all clear to Watney. Watney later learns, the hard way, that
changelings are emotion vampires and shape-shifters. Oops. And Dragonfly is
an infiltrator... which means that she’s a very efficient and effective
emotion vampire and shape-shifter. Double oops.

The Super Six manage to work out how to plant crops (alfalfa, potatoes, and
cherries; Cherry Berry insisted) and find a way to rebuild magic reserves
(Twilight Glimmer and Dragonfly have several Very Bad Days during the
process; Kerbal Space Program users will be familiar with the term.) and find
some crystals for Fireball to eat (and for magic purposes; more on that
later). Watney retrieves a few things, including the Pathfinder robot and a
RTG, a small nuclear reactor. (The RTG is a Real Thing. Dragonfly hates the
Hot Box of Death.) Comms are restored to Houston, and thanks to magic and
Kerbal Space Program spacesuits, to Horseton. (Comms to Horseton are magic
and water, using the pony version of morse code. Really.) Comms to Houston
include imagesand video; the Fearless Five acquire a fan club, as Houston
allows The Word about their existence to spread. Certain internet trolls
pounce; Spitfire counter-batteries them, but good, and they slink off,
heavily afire and in a sinking condition, having been out-trolled by a pastel
pony with a funny icon on her buttocks. Spitfire trolling the trolls was just
beautiful. Horseton, in Kerbal-like fashion, sends probes out to other
universes to try to find them; several of those probes are detected by ponies
or changelings from universes where certain of the Mane Six’s adventures
didn’t quite work out. After a _lot_ of potatoes and alfalfa, the six
castaways make it home. (With a cherry plant. Cherry Berry insisted.)

Info about the Mane Six here: https://hero.fandom.com/wiki/Mane_Six
Note that Twilight Sparkle and Starlight Glimmer invented the Sparkle Drive,
which is one reason why Starlight feels responsible for landing the Fearless
Five in the mess they’re in.

Available for free at https://www.fimfiction.net/story/396744/the-maretian
Changeling Space Program is also available there. Familiarity with KSP is
recommended, but not necessary. Familiarity with MLP is also recommended, but
not necessary.

Re: The Maretian, a review with snark

<jaeb7gF5lo2U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=71279&group=rec.arts.sf.written#71279

From: ...@ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: The Maretian, a review with snark
Date: 28 Mar 2022 17:57:04 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Mon, 28 Mar 2022 17:57 UTC

In article <0001HW.27F22D4C01CFAF6B70000DFFA38F@news.supernews.com>,
Wolffan <akwolffan@zoho.com> wrote:

>No, that's not a typo.
>
>The Maretian is...
>
>1. fanfic of The Martian. As in The Martian, Mark Watney is stranded on Mars.
>As with The Martian, the plot revolves getting him home.
>
>2. Kerbal Space Program fanfic. We find out why that highly unlikely
>sandstorm hit in the first place; aliens from another universe who have a
>very Kerbal-like attitude to spaceflight had (yet another) accident and ended
>up on Mars. Their spacecraft's drive, and the way the spacecraft arrived,
>are what caused the storm. They are the reason why Mark Watney is stranded on
>Mars.
>
>3. and most importantly, and the reason for the name, it's My Little Pony
>fanfic. The aliens are three ponies, a changeling, and a dragon. Only the
>dragon is male.

I'm obviously missing a whole lot of referents here!
:-)
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: The Maretian, a review with snark

<00834790-af13-49c9-bb85-0a30dc5ace70n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=71280&group=rec.arts.sf.written#71280

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 11:12:53 -0700 (PDT)
From: jsav...@ecn.ab.ca (Quadibloc)
 by: Quadibloc - Mon, 28 Mar 2022 18:12 UTC

On Monday, March 28, 2022 at 11:52:21 AM UTC-6, Wolffan wrote:
> No, that’s not a typo.
>
> The Maretian is...
>
> 1. fanfic of The Martian. As in The Martian, Mark Watney is stranded on Mars.
> As with The Martian, the plot revolves getting him home.

And here I thought that "The Maretian" would have something to do with
a place on Earth called Maretia, which was probably contemporary with
Ancient Rome.

John Savard

Re: The Maretian, a review with snark

<0001HW.27F235F101D1B60E70000DFFA38F@news.supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=71281&group=rec.arts.sf.written#71281

Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 14:29:05 -0400
From: akwolf...@zoho.com (Wolffan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
 by: Wolffan - Mon, 28 Mar 2022 18:29 UTC

On 28 Mar 2022, ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan wrote
(in article <jaeb7gF5lo2U1@mid.individual.net>):

> In article<0001HW.27F22D4C01CFAF6B70000DFFA38F@news.supernews.com>,
> Wolffan <akwolffan@zoho.com> wrote:
> >
> > No, that's not a typo.
> >
> > The Maretian is...
> >
> > 1. fanfic of The Martian. As in The Martian, Mark Watney is stranded on
> > Mars.
> > As with The Martian, the plot revolves getting him home.
> >
> > 2. Kerbal Space Program fanfic. We find out why that highly unlikely
> > sandstorm hit in the first place; aliens from another universe who have a
> > very Kerbal-like attitude to spaceflight had (yet another) accident and
> > ended
> > up on Mars. Their spacecraft's drive, and the way the spacecraft arrived,
> > are what caused the storm. They are the reason why Mark Watney is stranded
> > on
> > Mars.
> >
> > 3. and most importantly, and the reason for the name, it's My Little Pony
> > fanfic. The aliens are three ponies, a changeling, and a dragon. Only the
> > dragon is male.
>
> I'm obviously missing a whole lot of referents here!
> > -)

The Martian never explained just how that highly unusual storm just happened
to hit at just the right time and place. Other than For Reasons Of Plot, of
course. The Matetian explains why. In detail. If you look at the Mane Six
site I linked, you might notice that Twilight Sparkle has a _lot_ of
arch-enemies, particularly for a cute, peaceful (hah!) purple Alicorn
Princess. There’s a reason why. There’s a ’toon where she meets the
Mythbusters and is the one suggesting caution, so you _know_ that this
won’t end well.

Re: The Maretian, a review with snark

<XnsAE6876422E2D8taustingmail@85.12.62.245>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=71282&group=rec.arts.sf.written#71282

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
From: tausti...@gmail.com (Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha)
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 11:37:30 -0700
 by: Jibini Kula Tumbili - Mon, 28 Mar 2022 18:37 UTC

ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan <tednolan>) wrote in

> In article
> <0001HW.27F22D4C01CFAF6B70000DFFA38F@news.supernews.com>,
> Wolffan <akwolffan@zoho.com> wrote:
>>
>>No, that's not a typo.
>>
>>The Maretian is...
>>
>>1. fanfic of The Martian. As in The Martian, Mark Watney is
>>stranded on Mars. As with The Martian, the plot revolves getting
>>him home.
>>
>>2. Kerbal Space Program fanfic. We find out why that highly
>>unlikely sandstorm hit in the first place; aliens from another
>>universe who have a very Kerbal-like attitude to spaceflight had
>>(yet another) accident and ended up on Mars. Their spacecraft's
>>drive, and the way the spacecraft arrived, are what caused the
>>storm. They are the reason why Mark Watney is stranded on Mars.
>>
>>3. and most importantly, and the reason for the name, it's My
>>Little Pony fanfic. The aliens are three ponies, a changeling,
>>and a dragon. Only the dragon is male.
>>

> I'm obviously missing a whole lot of referents here!
>:-)

I"m not really getting them either, but I don't miss them at all.

--
Terry Austin

Lynn:
(May 2019 total for people arrested for entering the United States
illegally is over 132,000 for just the southwest border.)

Vacation photos from Iceland:

Re: The Maretian, a review with snark

<t1t5vc$8hq$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=71284&group=rec.arts.sf.written#71284

From: davidjoh...@yahoo.com (David Johnston)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 14:31:37 -0600
 by: David Johnston - Mon, 28 Mar 2022 20:31 UTC

On 2022-03-28 11:57 a.m., Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
> In article <0001HW.27F22D4C01CFAF6B70000DFFA38F@news.supernews.com>,
> Wolffan <akwolffan@zoho.com> wrote:
>>
>> No, that's not a typo.
>>
>> The Maretian is...
>>
>> 1. fanfic of The Martian. As in The Martian, Mark Watney is stranded on Mars.
>> As with The Martian, the plot revolves getting him home.
>>
>> 2. Kerbal Space Program fanfic. We find out why that highly unlikely
>> sandstorm hit in the first place; aliens from another universe who have a
>> very Kerbal-like attitude to spaceflight had (yet another) accident and ended
>> up on Mars. Their spacecraft's drive, and the way the spacecraft arrived,
>> are what caused the storm. They are the reason why Mark Watney is stranded on
>> Mars.
>>
>> 3. and most importantly, and the reason for the name, it's My Little Pony
>> fanfic. The aliens are three ponies, a changeling, and a dragon. Only the
>> dragon is male.
>>

> I'm obviously missing a whole lot of referents here!
> :-)

You've either watched My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic or you
haven't. It's about cute little magic ponies with alarmingly fragile
sanity.

And I'm not kidding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYV0tnRe-i4&t=1s&ab_channel=knightphillip

Re: The Maretian, a review with snark

<t1t62r$vd$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=71285&group=rec.arts.sf.written#71285

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 13:33:33 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Mon, 28 Mar 2022 20:33 UTC

On 3/28/2022 11:29 AM, Wolffan wrote:
> On 28 Mar 2022, ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan wrote
> (in article <jaeb7gF5lo2U1@mid.individual.net>):
>
>> In article<0001HW.27F22D4C01CFAF6B70000DFFA38F@news.supernews.com>,
>> Wolffan <akwolffan@zoho.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> No, that's not a typo.
>>>
>>> The Maretian is...
>>>
>>> 1. fanfic of The Martian. As in The Martian, Mark Watney is stranded on
>>> Mars.
>>> As with The Martian, the plot revolves getting him home.
>>>
>>> 2. Kerbal Space Program fanfic. We find out why that highly unlikely
>>> sandstorm hit in the first place; aliens from another universe who have a
>>> very Kerbal-like attitude to spaceflight had (yet another) accident and
>>> ended
>>> up on Mars. Their spacecraft's drive, and the way the spacecraft arrived,
>>> are what caused the storm. They are the reason why Mark Watney is stranded
>>> on
>>> Mars.
>>>
>>> 3. and most importantly, and the reason for the name, it's My Little Pony
>>> fanfic. The aliens are three ponies, a changeling, and a dragon. Only the
>>> dragon is male.
>>
>> I'm obviously missing a whole lot of referents here!
>>> -)
>
> The Martian never explained just how that highly unusual storm just happened
> to hit at just the right time and place. Other than For Reasons Of Plot, of
> course. The Matetian explains why. In detail. If you look at the Mane Six
> site I linked, you might notice that Twilight Sparkle has a _lot_ of
> arch-enemies, particularly for a cute, peaceful (hah!) purple Alicorn
> Princess. There’s a reason why. There’s a ’toon where she meets the
> Mythbusters and is the one suggesting caution, so you _know_ that this
> won’t end well.

Whole new take on "I reject your reality and substitute my own"....

dirty old man.

Re: The Maretian, a review with snark

<t1t93b$1iu7$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=71287&group=rec.arts.sf.written#71287

From: davidjoh...@yahoo.com (David Johnston)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 15:24:57 -0600
 by: David Johnston - Mon, 28 Mar 2022 21:24 UTC

On 2022-03-28 2:31 p.m., David Johnston wrote:
> On 2022-03-28 11:57 a.m., Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
>> In article <0001HW.27F22D4C01CFAF6B70000DFFA38F@news.supernews.com>,
>> Wolffan  <akwolffan@zoho.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> No, that's not a typo.
>>>
>>> The Maretian is...
>>>
>>> 1. fanfic of The Martian. As in The Martian, Mark Watney is stranded
>>> on Mars.
>>> As with The Martian, the plot revolves getting him home.
>>>
>>> 2. Kerbal Space Program fanfic. We find out why that highly unlikely
>>> sandstorm hit in the first place; aliens from another universe who
>>> have a
>>> very Kerbal-like attitude to spaceflight had (yet another) accident
>>> and ended
>>> up on Mars. Their spacecraft's drive, and the way the spacecraft
>>> arrived,
>>> are what caused the storm. They are the reason why Mark Watney is
>>> stranded on
>>> Mars.
>>>
>>> 3. and most importantly, and the reason for the name, it's My Little
>>> Pony
>>> fanfic. The aliens are three ponies, a changeling, and a dragon. Only
>>> the
>>> dragon is male.
>>>

>> I'm obviously missing a whole lot of referents here!
>> :-)
>
> You've either watched My Little Pony:  Friendship Is Magic or you
> haven't.  It's about cute little magic ponies with alarmingly fragile
> sanity.
>
> And I'm not kidding.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYV0tnRe-i4&t=1s&ab_channel=knightphillip

Incidentally there's a fun sf reference in the first chapter in that the
last man on Mars sits in a room and there's a knock on the door.

Re: The Maretian, a review with snark

<jaenpgF82ihU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=71288&group=rec.arts.sf.written#71288

From: ...@ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: 28 Mar 2022 21:31:28 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Mon, 28 Mar 2022 21:31 UTC

In article <t1t5vc$8hq$1@gioia.aioe.org>,
David Johnston <davidjohnston29@yahoo.com> wrote:
>On 2022-03-28 11:57 a.m., Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
>> In article <0001HW.27F22D4C01CFAF6B70000DFFA38F@news.supernews.com>,
>> Wolffan <akwolffan@zoho.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> No, that's not a typo.
>>>
>>> The Maretian is...
>>>
>>> 1. fanfic of The Martian. As in The Martian, Mark Watney is stranded on Mars.
>>> As with The Martian, the plot revolves getting him home.
>>>
>>> 2. Kerbal Space Program fanfic. We find out why that highly unlikely
>>> sandstorm hit in the first place; aliens from another universe who have a
>>> very Kerbal-like attitude to spaceflight had (yet another) accident and ended
>>> up on Mars. Their spacecraft's drive, and the way the spacecraft arrived,
>>> are what caused the storm. They are the reason why Mark Watney is stranded on
>>> Mars.
>>>
>>> 3. and most importantly, and the reason for the name, it's My Little Pony
>>> fanfic. The aliens are three ponies, a changeling, and a dragon. Only the
>>> dragon is male.
>>>

>> I'm obviously missing a whole lot of referents here!
>> :-)
>
>You've either watched My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic or you
>haven't. It's about cute little magic ponies with alarmingly fragile
>sanity.

All I know about it is that it exists, and apparently snuck in some
pro-capitalist messages every now and then.
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: The Maretian, a review with snark

<eeb5339d-1008-437f-89c0-68b0b8f34c39n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=71294&group=rec.arts.sf.written#71294

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 16:36:00 -0700 (PDT)
From: jsav...@ecn.ab.ca (Quadibloc)
 by: Quadibloc - Mon, 28 Mar 2022 23:36 UTC

On Monday, March 28, 2022 at 12:12:56 PM UTC-6, Quadibloc wrote:
> On Monday, March 28, 2022 at 11:52:21 AM UTC-6, Wolffan wrote:
> > No, that’s not a typo.
> >
> > The Maretian is...
> >
> > 1. fanfic of The Martian. As in The Martian, Mark Watney is stranded on Mars.
> > As with The Martian, the plot revolves getting him home.

> And here I thought that "The Maretian" would have something to do with
> a place on Earth called Maretia, which was probably contemporary with
> Ancient Rome.

Despite that incorrect conclusion from the title, once I learned what it
really was, I took a peek, and have found it impossible to put down.

John Savard

Re: The Maretian, a review with snark

<t1tkm7$b3h$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=71297&group=rec.arts.sf.written#71297

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 19:42:43 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Tue, 29 Mar 2022 00:42 UTC

On 3/28/2022 6:36 PM, Quadibloc wrote:
> On Monday, March 28, 2022 at 12:12:56 PM UTC-6, Quadibloc wrote:
>> On Monday, March 28, 2022 at 11:52:21 AM UTC-6, Wolffan wrote:
>>> No, that’s not a typo.
>>>
>>> The Maretian is...
>>>
>>> 1. fanfic of The Martian. As in The Martian, Mark Watney is stranded on Mars.
>>> As with The Martian, the plot revolves getting him home.
>
>> And here I thought that "The Maretian" would have something to do with
>> a place on Earth called Maretia, which was probably contemporary with
>> Ancient Rome.
>
> Despite that incorrect conclusion from the title, once I learned what it
> really was, I took a peek, and have found it impossible to put down.
>
> John Savard

The movie is as good also. The Hermes is a beautiful space ship.
https://www.amazon.com/Martian-Michael-Pe%C3%B1a/dp/B018HIZSIA/
and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fdKyszL1Zo

Lynn

Re: The Maretian, a review with snark

<c01e4f00-3320-4dbf-b63c-1def35bd4cfan@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=71312&group=rec.arts.sf.written#71312

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2022 07:50:19 -0700 (PDT)
From: rpres...@gmail.com (Ross Presser)
 by: Ross Presser - Tue, 29 Mar 2022 14:50 UTC

On Monday, March 28, 2022 at 1:52:21 PM UTC-4, Wolffan wrote:
> No, that’s not a typo.
>
> The Maretian is...
>
> 1. fanfic of The Martian. As in The Martian, Mark Watney is stranded on Mars.
> As with The Martian, the plot revolves getting him home.
>
> 2. Kerbal Space Program fanfic. We find out why that highly unlikely
> sandstorm hit in the first place; aliens from another universe who have a
> very Kerbal-like attitude to spaceflight had (yet another) accident and ended
> up on Mars. Their spacecraft’s drive, and the way the spacecraft arrived,
> are what caused the storm. They are the reason why Mark Watney is stranded on
> Mars.
>
> 3. and most importantly, and the reason for the name, it’s My Little Pony
> fanfic. The aliens are three ponies, a changeling, and a dragon. Only the
> dragon is male.

Somehow I got entirely through this posting and most of the comments
before the penny dropped. "The MARE-tian" indeed.

Re: The Maretian, a review with snark

<t1v7lc$f6s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=71313&group=rec.arts.sf.written#71313

From: michael....@gmail.com (Michael F. Stemper)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2022 10:12:44 -0500
 by: Michael F. Stemper - Tue, 29 Mar 2022 15:12 UTC

On 29/03/2022 09.50, Ross Presser wrote:
> On Monday, March 28, 2022 at 1:52:21 PM UTC-4, Wolffan wrote:
>> No, that’s not a typo.
>>
>> The Maretian is...
>>
>> 1. fanfic of The Martian. As in The Martian, Mark Watney is stranded on Mars.
>> As with The Martian, the plot revolves getting him home.

> Somehow I got entirely through this posting and most of the comments
> before the penny dropped. "The MARE-tian" indeed.

Oh, jeez! I was parsing it as "Ma-ret-i-an".

--
Michael F. Stemper
Deuteronomy 10:18-19

Re: The Maretian, a review with snark

<r3b64hhheiisef9q05cor4rllbjmf162g2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=71319&group=rec.arts.sf.written#71319

From: pspers...@ix.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2022 09:02:31 -0700
 by: Paul S Person - Tue, 29 Mar 2022 16:02 UTC

On Mon, 28 Mar 2022 14:31:37 -0600, David Johnston
<davidjohnston29@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On 2022-03-28 11:57 a.m., Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
>> In article <0001HW.27F22D4C01CFAF6B70000DFFA38F@news.supernews.com>,
>> Wolffan <akwolffan@zoho.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> No, that's not a typo.
>>>
>>> The Maretian is...
>>>
>>> 1. fanfic of The Martian. As in The Martian, Mark Watney is stranded on Mars.
>>> As with The Martian, the plot revolves getting him home.
>>>
>>> 2. Kerbal Space Program fanfic. We find out why that highly unlikely
>>> sandstorm hit in the first place; aliens from another universe who have a
>>> very Kerbal-like attitude to spaceflight had (yet another) accident and ended
>>> up on Mars. Their spacecraft's drive, and the way the spacecraft arrived,
>>> are what caused the storm. They are the reason why Mark Watney is stranded on
>>> Mars.
>>>
>>> 3. and most importantly, and the reason for the name, it's My Little Pony
>>> fanfic. The aliens are three ponies, a changeling, and a dragon. Only the
>>> dragon is male.
>>>

>> I'm obviously missing a whole lot of referents here!
>> :-)
>
>You've either watched My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic or you
>haven't. It's about cute little magic ponies with alarmingly fragile
>sanity.

I may have some trailers on various DVDs fro MLP films, just as I have
for other similar offerings but, trust me on this, there is /no/
chance of seeing any of them.

I'm sure the teenie-tinies, that is, the target audience, enjoy them.
For a year or two, anyway, before they age out and find other
interests.

--
"I begin to envy Petronius."
"I have envied him long since."

Re: The Maretian, a review with snark

<t1vbr6$eer$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=71320&group=rec.arts.sf.written#71320

From: Magew...@nc.rr.com (Magewolf)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2022 16:24:06 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Magewolf - Tue, 29 Mar 2022 16:24 UTC

On Tue, 29 Mar 2022 09:02:31 -0700, Paul S Person wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Mar 2022 14:31:37 -0600, David Johnston
> <davidjohnston29@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>On 2022-03-28 11:57 a.m., Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:

>>> I'm obviously missing a whole lot of referents here!
>>> :-)
>>
>>You've either watched My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic or you
>>haven't. It's about cute little magic ponies with alarmingly fragile
>>sanity.
>
> I may have some trailers on various DVDs fro MLP films, just as I have
> for other similar offerings but, trust me on this, there is /no/ chance
> of seeing any of them.
>
> I'm sure the teenie-tinies, that is, the target audience, enjoy them.
> For a year or two, anyway, before they age out and find other interests.
>
>>And I'm not kidding.

Look up bronies.

Re: The Maretian, a review with snark

<XnsAE6967C059605taustingmail@85.12.62.245>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=71321&group=rec.arts.sf.written#71321

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
From: tausti...@gmail.com (Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha)
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2022 10:11:57 -0700
 by: Jibini Kula Tumbili - Tue, 29 Mar 2022 17:11 UTC

Magewolf <Magewolf@nc.rr.com> wrote in

> On Tue, 29 Mar 2022 09:02:31 -0700, Paul S Person wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 28 Mar 2022 14:31:37 -0600, David Johnston
>> <davidjohnston29@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>>You've either watched My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic or
>>>you haven't. It's about cute little magic ponies with
>>>alarmingly fragile sanity.
>>
>> I may have some trailers on various DVDs fro MLP films, just as
>> I have for other similar offerings but, trust me on this, there
>> is /no/ chance of seeing any of them.
>>
>> I'm sure the teenie-tinies, that is, the target audience, enjoy
>> them. For a year or two, anyway, before they age out and find
>> other interests.
>>
>>>And I'm not kidding.
>
> Look up bronies.

Or don't, because what has been seen cannot be unseen.

I mean it.

--
Terry Austin

Lynn:
(May 2019 total for people arrested for entering the United States
illegally is over 132,000 for just the southwest border.)

Vacation photos from Iceland:

Re: The Maretian, a review with snark

<t1vkjq$sjs$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=71325&group=rec.arts.sf.written#71325

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2022 13:53:45 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Tue, 29 Mar 2022 18:53 UTC

On 3/29/2022 12:11 PM, Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha wrote:
> Magewolf <Magewolf@nc.rr.com> wrote in
>
>> On Tue, 29 Mar 2022 09:02:31 -0700, Paul S Person wrote:

>>> I may have some trailers on various DVDs fro MLP films, just as
>>> I have for other similar offerings but, trust me on this, there
>>> is /no/ chance of seeing any of them.
>>>
>>> I'm sure the teenie-tinies, that is, the target audience, enjoy
>>> them. For a year or two, anyway, before they age out and find
>>> other interests.

>> Look up bronies.
>>
> Or don't, because what has been seen cannot be unseen.
>
> I mean it.

Especially the Bronies segment in the first Deadpool movie.

Lynn

Re: The Maretian, a review with snark

<t1vlcv$22a$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=71327&group=rec.arts.sf.written#71327

From: michael....@gmail.com (Michael F. Stemper)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2022 14:07:11 -0500
 by: Michael F. Stemper - Tue, 29 Mar 2022 19:07 UTC

On 29/03/2022 11.02, Paul S Person wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Mar 2022 14:31:37 -0600, David Johnston
> <davidjohnston29@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> You've either watched My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic or you
>> haven't. It's about cute little magic ponies with alarmingly fragile
>> sanity.
>
> I may have some trailers on various DVDs fro MLP films, just as I have
> for other similar offerings but, trust me on this, there is /no/
> chance of seeing any of them.
>
> I'm sure the teenie-tinies, that is, the target audience, enjoy them.
> For a year or two, anyway, before they age out and find other
> interests.

My son, who's in his mid-thirties, has called himself a "brony". In
fact, I first heard of My Little Pony from him. I've never seen
it/them, and have no interest in doing so.

--
Michael F. Stemper
If it isn't running programs and it isn't fusing atoms, it's just bending space.

Re: The Maretian, a review with snark

<t1vpl7$67k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=71333&group=rec.arts.sf.written#71333

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2022 13:19:53 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Tue, 29 Mar 2022 20:19 UTC

On 3/29/2022 9:24 AM, Magewolf wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Mar 2022 09:02:31 -0700, Paul S Person wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 28 Mar 2022 14:31:37 -0600, David Johnston
>> <davidjohnston29@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> You've either watched My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic or you
>>> haven't. It's about cute little magic ponies with alarmingly fragile
>>> sanity.
>>
>> I may have some trailers on various DVDs fro MLP films, just as I have
>> for other similar offerings but, trust me on this, there is /no/ chance
>> of seeing any of them.
>>
>> I'm sure the teenie-tinies, that is, the target audience, enjoy them.
>> For a year or two, anyway, before they age out and find other interests.
>>
>>> And I'm not kidding.
>
> Look up bronies.

NO! Do NOT look up bronies if you wish to avoid permanent brain damage!

dirty old man.

Re: The Maretian, a review with snark

<t1vpms$67k$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=71334&group=rec.arts.sf.written#71334

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2022 13:20:46 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Tue, 29 Mar 2022 20:20 UTC

On 3/29/2022 12:07 PM, Michael F. Stemper wrote:
> On 29/03/2022 11.02, Paul S Person wrote:
>> On Mon, 28 Mar 2022 14:31:37 -0600, David Johnston
>> <davidjohnston29@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>> You've either watched My Little Pony:  Friendship Is Magic or you
>>> haven't.  It's about cute little magic ponies with alarmingly fragile
>>> sanity.
>>
>> I may have some trailers on various DVDs fro MLP films, just as I have
>> for other similar offerings but, trust me on this, there is /no/
>> chance of seeing any of them.
>>
>> I'm sure the teenie-tinies, that is, the target audience, enjoy them.
>> For a year or two, anyway, before they age out and find other
>> interests.
>
> My son, who's in his mid-thirties, has called himself a "brony". In
> fact, I first heard of My Little Pony from him. I've never seen
> it/them, and have no interest in doing so.

You should probably disown him. :P

dirty old man.

Re: The Maretian, a review with snark

<0001HW.27F3B7BF02277CA070000463138F@news.supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=71339&group=rec.arts.sf.written#71339

Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2022 17:55:11 -0400
From: akwolf...@zoho.com (Wolffan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
 by: Wolffan - Tue, 29 Mar 2022 21:55 UTC

On 29 Mar 2022, Dimensional Traveler wrote
(in article <t1vpl7$67k$1@dont-email.me>):

> On 3/29/2022 9:24 AM, Magewolf wrote:
> > On Tue, 29 Mar 2022 09:02:31 -0700, Paul S Person wrote:

> > > I may have some trailers on various DVDs fro MLP films, just as I have
> > > for other similar offerings but, trust me on this, there is /no/ chance
> > > of seeing any of them.
> > >
> > > I'm sure the teenie-tinies, that is, the target audience, enjoy them.
> > > For a year or two, anyway, before they age out and find other interests.

> > Look up bronies.
>
> NO! Do NOT look up bronies if you wish to avoid permanent brain damage!

It could be worse. Kris Overstreet has non-brony stuff posted on Ye Internet,
including something about werewolves. Don’t go near that. Really. Just
don’t.

That said... the biggest baddest brony (and a ‘friend’) there ever was is
shown
here:<https://ih0.redbubble.net/image.372098658.7694/mp,550x550,gloss,ffffff,t
..3u7.jpg>

Warning, once seen, cannot be unseen.

Re: The Maretian, a review with snark

<0001HW.27F3B7E2022784E970000463138F@news.supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=71340&group=rec.arts.sf.written#71340

Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2022 17:55:46 -0400
From: akwolf...@zoho.com (Wolffan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
 by: Wolffan - Tue, 29 Mar 2022 21:55 UTC

On 29 Mar 2022, Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha wrote
(in article<XnsAE6967C059605taustingmail@85.12.62.245>):

> Magewolf <Magewolf@nc.rr.com> wrote in
>
> > On Tue, 29 Mar 2022 09:02:31 -0700, Paul S Person wrote:

> > > I may have some trailers on various DVDs fro MLP films, just as
> > > I have for other similar offerings but, trust me on this, there
> > > is /no/ chance of seeing any of them.
> > >
> > > I'm sure the teenie-tinies, that is, the target audience, enjoy
> > > them. For a year or two, anyway, before they age out and find
> > > other interests.

> > Look up bronies.
> Or don't, because what has been seen cannot be unseen.
>
> I mean it.

you’re no fun at all.

Re: The Maretian, a review with snark

<0001HW.27F3B87A0227A85C70000463138F@news.supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=71341&group=rec.arts.sf.written#71341

Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2022 17:58:18 -0400
From: akwolf...@zoho.com (Wolffan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
 by: Wolffan - Tue, 29 Mar 2022 21:58 UTC

On 28 Mar 2022, David Johnston wrote
(in article <t1t5vc$8hq$1@gioia.aioe.org>):

> On 2022-03-28 11:57 a.m., Ted Nolan<tednolan> wrote:
> > In article<0001HW.27F22D4C01CFAF6B70000DFFA38F@news.supernews.com>,
> > Wolffan <akwolffan@zoho.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > No, that's not a typo.
> > >
> > > The Maretian is...
> > >
> > > 1. fanfic of The Martian. As in The Martian, Mark Watney is stranded on
> > > Mars.
> > > As with The Martian, the plot revolves getting him home.
> > >
> > > 2. Kerbal Space Program fanfic. We find out why that highly unlikely
> > > sandstorm hit in the first place; aliens from another universe who have a
> > > very Kerbal-like attitude to spaceflight had (yet another) accident and
> > > ended
> > > up on Mars. Their spacecraft's drive, and the way the spacecraft arrived,
> > > are what caused the storm. They are the reason why Mark Watney is stranded
> > > on
> > > Mars.
> > >
> > > 3. and most importantly, and the reason for the name, it's My Little Pony
> > > fanfic. The aliens are three ponies, a changeling, and a dragon. Only the
> > > dragon is male.
> >
> > I'm obviously missing a whole lot of referents here!
> > > -)
>
> You've either watched My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic or you
> haven't. It's about cute little magic ponies with alarmingly fragile
> sanity.

Twilight Glimmer does NOT have ‘fragile sanity’. She DOES have a very
short fuse, and lots of magic. It’s a good idea to be a county or two away
when she loses it.

> And I'm not kidding.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYV0tnRe-i4&t=1s&ab_channel=knightphillip

Re: The Maretian, a review with snark

<XnsAE699A80CA789taustingmail@85.12.62.232>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=71342&group=rec.arts.sf.written#71342

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
From: tausti...@gmail.com (Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha)
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2022 15:11:17 -0700
 by: Jibini Kula Tumbili - Tue, 29 Mar 2022 22:11 UTC

Wolffan <akwolffan@zoho.com> wrote in

I'm not here to provide *you* with fun.

--
Terry Austin

Lynn:
(May 2019 total for people arrested for entering the United States
illegally is over 132,000 for just the southwest border.)

Vacation photos from Iceland:

Re: The Maretian, a review with snark

<t209d2$k7t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=71345&group=rec.arts.sf.written#71345

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2022 17:48:36 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Wed, 30 Mar 2022 00:48 UTC

On 3/29/2022 2:55 PM, Wolffan wrote:
> On 29 Mar 2022, Dimensional Traveler wrote
> (in article <t1vpl7$67k$1@dont-email.me>):

>>> Look up bronies.
>>
>> NO! Do NOT look up bronies if you wish to avoid permanent brain damage!
>
> It could be worse. Kris Overstreet has non-brony stuff posted on Ye Internet,
> including something about werewolves. Don’t go near that. Really. Just
> don’t.
>
> That said... the biggest baddest brony (and a ‘friend’) there ever was is
> shown
> here:<https://ih0.redbubble.net/image.372098658.7694/mp,550x550,gloss,ffffff,t
> .3u7.jpg>
>
> Warning, once seen, cannot be unseen.

Like I was going to click on that link even without a warning.

dirty old man.