People are always available for work in the past tense.

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / “10 Famous Science Fiction Authors”

SubjectAuthor
* “10 Famous Science Fiction Authors”Lynn McGuire
+- Re: “10 Famous Science Fiction Authors”Lynn McGuire
+- Re: “10 Famous Science Fiction Authors”David Johnston
+- Re: “10 Famous Science Fiction Authors”Michael Dworetsky
+* Re: “10 Famous Science Fiction Authors”James Nicoll
+* Re: “10 Famous Science Fiction Authors”artyw2@yahoo.com
|+* Re: “10 Famous Science Fiction Authors”Lynn McGuire
||`* Re: “10 Famous Science Fiction Authors”Andrew McDowell
|| `* Re: “10 Famous Science Fiction Authors”Lynn McGuire
||  `* Re: Re: “10 Famous Science Fiction Authors”ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
||   `- Re: “10 Famous Science Fiction Authors”Lynn McGuire
|`* Re: “10 Famous Science Fiction Authors”Andrew McDowell
| +- Re: “10 Famous Science Fiction Authors”Lynn McGuire
| `* Re: “10 Famous Science Fiction Authors”David Johnston
|  `- Re: “10 Famous Science Fiction Authors”Dimensional Traveler
`- Re: “10 Famous Science Fiction Authors”Robert Carnegie

Pages:12
“10 Famous Science Fiction Authors”

<t8ooc1$kv2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=75616&group=rec.arts.sf.written#75616

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: “10_Famous_Science_Fiction_Authors”
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2022 22:08:48 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Mon, 20 Jun 2022 03:08 UTC

“10 Famous Science Fiction Authors”
https://studyfy.com/blog/the-10-best-sci-fi-authors-of-all-time

“Science fiction is one of the most popular genres of entertainment in
the world today. It has grown from a niche interest 100 years ago into a
multibillion-dollar industry. Now almost every single person on the
planet has either read or watched something related to science fiction.
Its importance is only going to grow in the future. In this article,
we’ll take a look at some of the best sci-fi authors of all time. We’ll
big three of science fiction. We’ll cover the writers who have impacted
the field most strongly. Along this journey, you will come across some
of their best works which are considered the top sci fi books of all time.”

"William Gibson, Jules Verne, H.G. Wells, Robert Heinlein, Ursula K. Le
Guin, Arthur C. Clarke, Frank Herbert, John Ringo, Isaac Asimov, Ray
Bradbury, and Philip K. Dick."

Yup, that is eleven, not ten. And that is a great group. I would like
to add David Weber and Orson Scott Card to the group.

Lynn

Re: “10 Famous Science Fiction Authors”

<t8p225$4th$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=75619&group=rec.arts.sf.written#75619

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re:_“10_Famous_Science_Fiction_Authors”
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 00:54:10 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Mon, 20 Jun 2022 05:54 UTC

On 6/19/2022 10:08 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> “10 Famous Science Fiction Authors”
>    https://studyfy.com/blog/the-10-best-sci-fi-authors-of-all-time
>
> “Science fiction is one of the most popular genres of entertainment in
> the world today. It has grown from a niche interest 100 years ago into a
> multibillion-dollar industry. Now almost every single person on the
> planet has either read or watched something related to science fiction.
> Its importance is only going to grow in the future. In this article,
> we’ll take a look at some of the best sci-fi authors of all time. We’ll
> big three of science fiction. We’ll cover the writers who have impacted
> the field most strongly. Along this journey, you will come across some
> of their best works which are considered the top sci fi books of all time.”
>
> "William Gibson, Jules Verne, H.G. Wells, Robert Heinlein, Ursula K. Le
> Guin, Arthur C. Clarke, Frank Herbert, John Ringo, Isaac Asimov, Ray
> Bradbury, and Philip K. Dick."
>
> Yup, that is eleven, not ten.  And that is a great group.  I would like
> to add David Weber and Orson Scott Card to the group.
>
> Lynn

And I feel bad that I forgot Larry Niven, Jerry Pournelle, and Alan Dean
Foster to add to the list.

Lynn

Re: “10 Famous Science Fiction Authors”

<t8p3nj$1ina$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=75620&group=rec.arts.sf.written#75620

From: davidjoh...@yahoo.com (David Johnston)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 00:22:43 -0600
 by: David Johnston - Mon, 20 Jun 2022 06:22 UTC

On 2022-06-19 9:08 p.m., Lynn McGuire wrote:
> “10 Famous Science Fiction Authors”
>    https://studyfy.com/blog/the-10-best-sci-fi-authors-of-all-time
>
> “Science fiction is one of the most popular genres of entertainment in
> the world today. It has grown from a niche interest 100 years ago into a
> multibillion-dollar industry. Now almost every single person on the
> planet has either read or watched something related to science fiction.
> Its importance is only going to grow in the future. In this article,
> we’ll take a look at some of the best sci-fi authors of all time. We’ll
> big three of science fiction. We’ll cover the writers who have impacted
> the field most strongly. Along this journey, you will come across some
> of their best works which are considered the top sci fi books of all time.”
>
> "William Gibson, Jules Verne, H.G. Wells, Robert Heinlein, Ursula K. Le
> Guin, Arthur C. Clarke, Frank Herbert, John Ringo, Isaac Asimov, Ray
> Bradbury, and Philip K. Dick."
>
> Yup, that is eleven, not ten.  And that is a great group.  I would like
> to add David Weber and Orson Scott Card to the group.
>
> Lynn

Card maybe. Weber only if you pull Ringo since they farm the same ground.

Re: “10 Famous Science Fiction Authors”

<8OadnQnklfC2hi3_nZ2dnUU7-QPNnZ2d@supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=75623&group=rec.arts.sf.written#75623

Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 08:00:58 +0100
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
From: platinum...@btinternet.com (Michael Dworetsky)
 by: Michael Dworetsky - Mon, 20 Jun 2022 07:00 UTC

On 20/06/2022 04:08, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> “10 Famous Science Fiction Authors”
>    https://studyfy.com/blog/the-10-best-sci-fi-authors-of-all-time
>
> “Science fiction is one of the most popular genres of entertainment in
> the world today. It has grown from a niche interest 100 years ago into a
> multibillion-dollar industry. Now almost every single person on the
> planet has either read or watched something related to science fiction.
> Its importance is only going to grow in the future. In this article,
> we’ll take a look at some of the best sci-fi authors of all time. We’ll
> big three of science fiction. We’ll cover the writers who have impacted
> the field most strongly. Along this journey, you will come across some
> of their best works which are considered the top sci fi books of all time.”
>
> "William Gibson, Jules Verne, H.G. Wells, Robert Heinlein, Ursula K. Le
> Guin, Arthur C. Clarke, Frank Herbert, John Ringo, Isaac Asimov, Ray
> Bradbury, and Philip K. Dick."
>
> Yup, that is eleven, not ten.  And that is a great group.  I would like
> to add David Weber and Orson Scott Card to the group.
>
> Lynn

Also let's add: David Brin, Ursula K. LeGuin, John Varley, Harry
Harrison...the list goes on.

--
Mike Dworetsky

Re: “10 Famous Science Fiction Authors”

<t8psis$dc$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=75633&group=rec.arts.sf.written#75633

From: jdnic...@panix.com (James Nicoll)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 13:26:52 -0000 (UTC)
 by: James Nicoll - Mon, 20 Jun 2022 13:26 UTC

In article <t8ooc1$kv2$1@dont-email.me>,
Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:

>"William Gibson, Jules Verne, H.G. Wells, Robert Heinlein, Ursula K. Le
>Guin, Arthur C. Clarke, Frank Herbert, John Ringo, Isaac Asimov, Ray
>Bradbury, and Philip K. Dick."

One of these things is not like the others, one of these things doesn't belong...

I assume Ringo is the curator's friend?

Re: “10 Famous Science Fiction Authors”

<ef6afffc-35a3-4490-8921-cbca89c62da8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=75634&group=rec.arts.sf.written#75634

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 08:08:58 -0700 (PDT)
From: art...@yahoo.com (artyw2@yahoo.com)
 by: artyw2@yahoo.com - Mon, 20 Jun 2022 15:08 UTC

On Sunday, June 19, 2022 at 10:08:55 PM UTC-5, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> “10 Famous Science Fiction Authors”
> https://studyfy.com/blog/the-10-best-sci-fi-authors-of-all-time
>
> “Science fiction is one of the most popular genres of entertainment in
> the world today. It has grown from a niche interest 100 years ago into a
> multibillion-dollar industry. Now almost every single person on the
> planet has either read or watched something related to science fiction.
> Its importance is only going to grow in the future. In this article,
> we’ll take a look at some of the best sci-fi authors of all time. We’ll
> big three of science fiction. We’ll cover the writers who have impacted
> the field most strongly. Along this journey, you will come across some
> of their best works which are considered the top sci fi books of all time..”
>
> "William Gibson, Jules Verne, H.G. Wells, Robert Heinlein, Ursula K. Le
> Guin, Arthur C. Clarke, Frank Herbert, John Ringo, Isaac Asimov, Ray
> Bradbury, and Philip K. Dick."

I have read 10/11 of those authors which is better than I usually do with these lists. Perhaps they have a Ringo book at the library...

Re: ?10 Famous Science Fiction Authors?

<robertaw-B360E3.09540520062022@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=75639&group=rec.arts.sf.written#75639

From: rober...@drizzle.com (Robert Woodward)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 09:54:05 -0700
 by: Robert Woodward - Mon, 20 Jun 2022 16:54 UTC

In article <t8psis$dc$1@reader1.panix.com>,
jdnicoll@panix.com (James Nicoll) wrote:

> In article <t8ooc1$kv2$1@dont-email.me>,
> Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >"William Gibson, Jules Verne, H.G. Wells, Robert Heinlein, Ursula K. Le
> >Guin, Arthur C. Clarke, Frank Herbert, John Ringo, Isaac Asimov, Ray
> >Bradbury, and Philip K. Dick."
>
> One of these things is not like the others, one of these things doesn't
> belong...
>
> I assume Ringo is the curator's friend?

Just how is he uniquely unlike the others? IIRC, 9 of the 11 have died
(he and Gibson are the exceptions). He hasn't received a Hugo or Nebula
award, but neither did Verne and Wells (not being alive while such were
being handed out). I haven't found a mention of a Hugo or Nebula award
for Ray Bradbury, Retro-Hugos yes. Ringo has been published by Baen
Books, but Baen Books has also reprinted Robert Heinlein.

I have been handed a note "First publication in the 21st Century".

�-----------------------------------------------------
Robert Woodward robertaw@drizzle.com

Re: “10 Famous Science Fiction Authors”

<t8q9dn$9se$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=75642&group=rec.arts.sf.written#75642

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 12:05:58 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Mon, 20 Jun 2022 17:05 UTC

On 6/20/2022 10:08 AM, artyw2@yahoo.com wrote:
> On Sunday, June 19, 2022 at 10:08:55 PM UTC-5, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>> “10 Famous Science Fiction Authors”
>> https://studyfy.com/blog/the-10-best-sci-fi-authors-of-all-time
>>
>> “Science fiction is one of the most popular genres of entertainment in
>> the world today. It has grown from a niche interest 100 years ago into a
>> multibillion-dollar industry. Now almost every single person on the
>> planet has either read or watched something related to science fiction.
>> Its importance is only going to grow in the future. In this article,
>> we’ll take a look at some of the best sci-fi authors of all time. We’ll
>> big three of science fiction. We’ll cover the writers who have impacted
>> the field most strongly. Along this journey, you will come across some
>> of their best works which are considered the top sci fi books of all time.”
>>
>> "William Gibson, Jules Verne, H.G. Wells, Robert Heinlein, Ursula K. Le
>> Guin, Arthur C. Clarke, Frank Herbert, John Ringo, Isaac Asimov, Ray
>> Bradbury, and Philip K. Dick."
>
> I have read 10/11 of those authors which is better than I usually do with these lists. Perhaps they have a Ringo book at the library...

"Live Free or Die" is my favorite John Ringo series.
https://www.amazon.com/Live-Free-Die-Troy-Rising/dp/1439133972/

Lynn

Re: “10 Famous Science Fiction Authors”

<d6f488d6-311a-419c-b072-82c34f37e45fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=75644&group=rec.arts.sf.written#75644

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 11:10:38 -0700 (PDT)
From: mcdowell...@sky.com (Andrew McDowell)
 by: Andrew McDowell - Mon, 20 Jun 2022 18:10 UTC

On Monday, June 20, 2022 at 4:09:03 PM UTC+1, artyw2@yahoo.com wrote:
> On Sunday, June 19, 2022 at 10:08:55 PM UTC-5, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> > “10 Famous Science Fiction Authors”
> > https://studyfy.com/blog/the-10-best-sci-fi-authors-of-all-time
> >
> > “Science fiction is one of the most popular genres of entertainment in
> > the world today. It has grown from a niche interest 100 years ago into a
> > multibillion-dollar industry. Now almost every single person on the
> > planet has either read or watched something related to science fiction.
> > Its importance is only going to grow in the future. In this article,
> > we’ll take a look at some of the best sci-fi authors of all time. We’ll
> > big three of science fiction. We’ll cover the writers who have impacted
> > the field most strongly. Along this journey, you will come across some
> > of their best works which are considered the top sci fi books of all time.”
> >
> > "William Gibson, Jules Verne, H.G. Wells, Robert Heinlein, Ursula K. Le
> > Guin, Arthur C. Clarke, Frank Herbert, John Ringo, Isaac Asimov, Ray
> > Bradbury, and Philip K. Dick."
> I have read 10/11 of those authors which is better than I usually do with these lists. Perhaps they have a Ringo book at the library...

I can wholeheartedly recommend the Looking Glass series, of which Ringo is a co-author for some and I think only author for others.

Re: “10 Famous Science Fiction Authors”

<30fba845-325b-4e13-9669-d79b92d1a095n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=75645&group=rec.arts.sf.written#75645

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 11:12:00 -0700 (PDT)
From: mcdowell...@sky.com (Andrew McDowell)
 by: Andrew McDowell - Mon, 20 Jun 2022 18:12 UTC

On Monday, June 20, 2022 at 6:06:04 PM UTC+1, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> On 6/20/2022 10:08 AM, art...@yahoo.com wrote:
> > On Sunday, June 19, 2022 at 10:08:55 PM UTC-5, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> >> “10 Famous Science Fiction Authors”
> >> https://studyfy.com/blog/the-10-best-sci-fi-authors-of-all-time
> >>
> >> “Science fiction is one of the most popular genres of entertainment in
> >> the world today. It has grown from a niche interest 100 years ago into a
> >> multibillion-dollar industry. Now almost every single person on the
> >> planet has either read or watched something related to science fiction..
> >> Its importance is only going to grow in the future. In this article,
> >> we’ll take a look at some of the best sci-fi authors of all time. We’ll
> >> big three of science fiction. We’ll cover the writers who have impacted
> >> the field most strongly. Along this journey, you will come across some
> >> of their best works which are considered the top sci fi books of all time.”
> >>
> >> "William Gibson, Jules Verne, H.G. Wells, Robert Heinlein, Ursula K. Le
> >> Guin, Arthur C. Clarke, Frank Herbert, John Ringo, Isaac Asimov, Ray
> >> Bradbury, and Philip K. Dick."
> >
> > I have read 10/11 of those authors which is better than I usually do with these lists. Perhaps they have a Ringo book at the library...
> "Live Free or Die" is my favorite John Ringo series.
> https://www.amazon.com/Live-Free-Die-Troy-Rising/dp/1439133972/
>
> Lynn
I have just recommended the Looking Glass series, but I enjoyed the Live Free or Die / Troy Rising series as well

Re: “10 Famous Science Fiction Authors”

<t8qep3$15a$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=75647&group=rec.arts.sf.written#75647

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 13:37:25 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Mon, 20 Jun 2022 18:37 UTC

On 6/20/2022 1:12 PM, Andrew McDowell wrote:
> On Monday, June 20, 2022 at 6:06:04 PM UTC+1, Lynn McGuire wrote:

>>> I have read 10/11 of those authors which is better than I usually do with these lists. Perhaps they have a Ringo book at the library...
>> "Live Free or Die" is my favorite John Ringo series.
>> https://www.amazon.com/Live-Free-Die-Troy-Rising/dp/1439133972/
>>
>> Lynn
> I have just recommended the Looking Glass series, but I enjoyed the Live Free or Die / Troy Rising series as well

One of my thoughts is that the Looking Glass Series has not been
finished yet.

Thanks,
Lynn

Re: Re: “10 Famous Science Fiction Authors”

<jhbt8eF8pmiU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=75648&group=rec.arts.sf.written#75648

From: ...@ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: Re:_“10_Famous_Science_Fiction_Authors”
Date: 20 Jun 2022 18:40:15 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Mon, 20 Jun 2022 18:40 UTC

In article <t8qep3$15a$2@dont-email.me>,
Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>On 6/20/2022 1:12 PM, Andrew McDowell wrote:
>> I have just recommended the Looking Glass series, but I enjoyed the
>Live Free or Die / Troy Rising series as well
>
>One of my thoughts is that the Looking Glass Series has not been
>finished yet.
>
>Thanks,
>Lynn

Was the Troy Rising series finished? I thought it just kind of ended.
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: “10 Famous Science Fiction Authors”

<t8qi62$kdo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=75651&group=rec.arts.sf.written#75651

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 14:35:32 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Mon, 20 Jun 2022 19:35 UTC

On 6/20/2022 1:40 PM, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
> In article <t8qep3$15a$2@dont-email.me>,
> Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 6/20/2022 1:12 PM, Andrew McDowell wrote:
>>> I have just recommended the Looking Glass series, but I enjoyed the
>> Live Free or Die / Troy Rising series as well
>>
>> One of my thoughts is that the Looking Glass Series has not been
>> finished yet.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Lynn
>
> Was the Troy Rising series finished? I thought it just kind of ended.

Yes and yes.

Lynn

Re: ³10 Famous Science Fiction Authors²

<ffda486a-4815-416d-b147-e7b48a90a169n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=75659&group=rec.arts.sf.written#75659

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 16:04:38 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re:_³10_Famous_Science_Fiction_Authors²
From: ahasue...@email.com (Ahasuerus)
 by: Ahasuerus - Mon, 20 Jun 2022 23:04 UTC

On Monday, June 20, 2022 at 12:54:10 PM UTC-4, Robert Woodward wrote:
> In article <t8psis$dc$1...@reader1.panix.com>,
> jdni...@panix.com (James Nicoll) wrote:
>
> > In article <t8ooc1$kv2$1...@dont-email.me>,
> > Lynn McGuire <lynnmc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > >"William Gibson, Jules Verne, H.G. Wells, Robert Heinlein, Ursula K. Le
> > >Guin, Arthur C. Clarke, Frank Herbert, John Ringo, Isaac Asimov, Ray
> > >Bradbury, and Philip K. Dick."
> >
> > One of these things is not like the others, one of these things doesn't
> > belong...
> >
> > I assume Ringo is the curator's friend?
> Just how is he uniquely unlike the others? [snip]

Well, we don't know what criteria the compiler used, so we
can't tell whether the chosen authors meet the criteria. It's like
trying to answer the question "What do Harlan Ellison, Roger
Zelazny, George Alec Effinger, Lois McMaster Bujold and
R. A. MacAvoy have in common?"

Re: ³10 Famous Science Fiction Authors²

<t8qv22$i6n$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=75660&group=rec.arts.sf.written#75660

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 18:15:14 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Mon, 20 Jun 2022 23:15 UTC

On 6/20/2022 6:04 PM, Ahasuerus wrote:
> On Monday, June 20, 2022 at 12:54:10 PM UTC-4, Robert Woodward wrote:
>> In article <t8psis$dc$1...@reader1.panix.com>,
>> jdni...@panix.com (James Nicoll) wrote:

>>> One of these things is not like the others, one of these things doesn't
>>> belong...
>>>
>>> I assume Ringo is the curator's friend?
>> Just how is he uniquely unlike the others? [snip]
>
> Well, we don't know what criteria the compiler used, so we
> can't tell whether the chosen authors meet the criteria. It's like
> trying to answer the question "What do Harlan Ellison, Roger
> Zelazny, George Alec Effinger, Lois McMaster Bujold and
> R. A. MacAvoy have in common?"

They all breathed air on a fairly regular basis.

Lynn

Re: ³10 Famous Science Fiction Authors²

<b7fe76db-7f94-4209-b8ce-56d119784553n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=75662&group=rec.arts.sf.written#75662

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 16:58:22 -0700 (PDT)
From: tonynanc...@gmail.com (Tony Nance)
 by: Tony Nance - Mon, 20 Jun 2022 23:58 UTC

On Monday, June 20, 2022 at 12:54:10 PM UTC-4, Robert Woodward wrote:
> In article <t8psis$dc$1...@reader1.panix.com>,
> jdni...@panix.com (James Nicoll) wrote:
>
> > In article <t8ooc1$kv2$1...@dont-email.me>,
> > Lynn McGuire <lynnmc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > >"William Gibson, Jules Verne, H.G. Wells, Robert Heinlein, Ursula K. Le
> > >Guin, Arthur C. Clarke, Frank Herbert, John Ringo, Isaac Asimov, Ray
> > >Bradbury, and Philip K. Dick."
> >
> > One of these things is not like the others, one of these things doesn't
> > belong...
> >
> > I assume Ringo is the curator's friend?
>
> Just how is he uniquely unlike the others?

From the original post:
"In this article,
we’ll take a look at some of the best sci-fi authors of all time. We’ll
big three of science fiction. We’ll cover the writers who have impacted
the field most strongly. Along this journey, you will come across some
of their best works which are considered the top sci fi books of all time."

While Ringo is definitely well known and successful (and more power
to him and anyone else who can say that), it does seem odd to me that
the article-writer sees Ringo as one of the best, and/or one of the most
impactful, and/or as having written one/some of the top sci fi books of
all time.

But in the end, these are just my opinions running counter to the
article-writer's opinions.

Tony

> IIRC, 9 of the 11 have died
> (he and Gibson are the exceptions). He hasn't received a Hugo or Nebula
> award, but neither did Verne and Wells (not being alive while such were
> being handed out). I haven't found a mention of a Hugo or Nebula award
> for Ray Bradbury, Retro-Hugos yes. Ringo has been published by Baen
> Books, but Baen Books has also reprinted Robert Heinlein.
>
> I have been handed a note "First publication in the 21st Century".
>
> --
> "We have advanced to new and surprising levels of bafflement."
> Imperial Auditor Miles Vorkosigan describes progress in _Komarr_.
> ã-----------------------------------------------------
> Robert Woodward robe...@drizzle.com

Re: ³10 Famous Science Fiction Authors²

<t8r8rn$v8o$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=75666&group=rec.arts.sf.written#75666

From: Magew...@nc.rr.com (Magewolf)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2022 02:02:31 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Magewolf - Tue, 21 Jun 2022 02:02 UTC

On Mon, 20 Jun 2022 16:04:38 -0700, Ahasuerus wrote:

> On Monday, June 20, 2022 at 12:54:10 PM UTC-4, Robert Woodward wrote:
>> In article <t8psis$dc$1...@reader1.panix.com>, jdni...@panix.com (James
>> Nicoll) wrote:

>> > One of these things is not like the others, one of these things
>> > doesn't belong...
>> >
>> > I assume Ringo is the curator's friend?
>> Just how is he uniquely unlike the others? [snip]
>
> Well, we don't know what criteria the compiler used, so we can't tell
> whether the chosen authors meet the criteria. It's like trying to answer
> the question "What do Harlan Ellison, Roger Zelazny, George Alec
> Effinger, Lois McMaster Bujold and R. A. MacAvoy have in common?"

He might be going by being known outside the fandom bubble. William
Gibson has the techy crowd, Jules Verne and H.G. Wells are famous authors
"claimed" by SF, Robert Heinlein and Isaac Asimov both became famous by
breaking out of the bubble with their books, Arthur C. Clarke broke out
with books and then exploded with the movies, Ursula K.Le Guin has
academia, Ray Bradbury broke out with books has academia and TV and
movies, Frank Herbert has Dune and all the multimedia chaos around it,
Philip K. Dick has movies and some academia, and John Ringo seems to be
much more popular outside the field than he is in it.

But even then it is a strange list and I would have dropped at least
three names to get King,Tolkien and Martin on it.

Re: ³10 Famous Science Fiction Authors²

<2a5d9a25-0134-49d4-a0af-3628f463092fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=75667&group=rec.arts.sf.written#75667

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 19:03:51 -0700 (PDT)
From: ahasue...@email.com (Ahasuerus)
 by: Ahasuerus - Tue, 21 Jun 2022 02:03 UTC

On Monday, June 20, 2022 at 7:58:26 PM UTC-4, Tony Nance wrote:
> On Monday, June 20, 2022 at 12:54:10 PM UTC-4, Robert Woodward wrote:
> > In article <t8psis$dc$1...@reader1.panix.com>,
> > jdni...@panix.com (James Nicoll) wrote:

> > > One of these things is not like the others, one of these things doesn't
> > > belong...
> > >
> > > I assume Ringo is the curator's friend?
> >
> > Just how is he uniquely unlike the others?
> From the original post:
> "In this article,
> we’ll take a look at some of the best sci-fi authors of all time. We’ll
> big three of science fiction. We’ll cover the writers who have impacted
> the field most strongly. Along this journey, you will come across some
> of their best works which are considered the top sci fi books of all time.."
>
> While Ringo is definitely well known and successful (and more power
> to him and anyone else who can say that), it does seem odd to me that
> the article-writer sees Ringo as one of the best, and/or one of the most
> impactful, and/or as having written one/some of the top sci fi books of
> all time.
>
> But in the end, these are just my opinions running counter to the
> article-writer's opinions.

Precisely. The author says "impacted the field most strongly", but he
doesn't say how he calculated each author's impact. There are a lot
different ways to do it. I would probably list Burroughs, Stapledon,
Doc Smith, van Vogt, Leinster, Orwell, Lovecraft, Bester, Norton,
Silverberg, Wyndham, Sturgeon, Leiber, Anderson, Wolfe, Niven,
Zelazny and a bunch of other people before I got to Ringo, but I'd
need to come up with quantifiable criteria in order to make the
ratings meaningful. Something like
http://www.isfdb.org/wiki/index.php/ISFDB:FAQ#How_do_I_use_the_ISFDB_to_find_the_most_popular.2Facclaimed_SF_works.3F

Re: ³10 Famous Science Fiction Authors²

<t8rh6k$hrd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=75668&group=rec.arts.sf.written#75668

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 21:24:55 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Tue, 21 Jun 2022 04:24 UTC

On 6/20/2022 7:02 PM, Magewolf wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Jun 2022 16:04:38 -0700, Ahasuerus wrote:
>
>> On Monday, June 20, 2022 at 12:54:10 PM UTC-4, Robert Woodward wrote:

>>> Just how is he uniquely unlike the others? [snip]
>>
>> Well, we don't know what criteria the compiler used, so we can't tell
>> whether the chosen authors meet the criteria. It's like trying to answer
>> the question "What do Harlan Ellison, Roger Zelazny, George Alec
>> Effinger, Lois McMaster Bujold and R. A. MacAvoy have in common?"
>
> He might be going by being known outside the fandom bubble. William
> Gibson has the techy crowd, Jules Verne and H.G. Wells are famous authors
> "claimed" by SF, Robert Heinlein and Isaac Asimov both became famous by
> breaking out of the bubble with their books, Arthur C. Clarke broke out
> with books and then exploded with the movies, Ursula K.Le Guin has
> academia, Ray Bradbury broke out with books has academia and TV and
> movies, Frank Herbert has Dune and all the multimedia chaos around it,
> Philip K. Dick has movies and some academia, and John Ringo seems to be
> much more popular outside the field than he is in it.
>
> But even then it is a strange list and I would have dropped at least
> three names to get King,Tolkien and Martin on it.

King is Horror, Tolkien and Martin are Fantasy.

dirty old man.

Re: ³10 Famous Science Fiction Authors²

<t8rik2$oqk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=75669&group=rec.arts.sf.written#75669

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 23:49:04 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Tue, 21 Jun 2022 04:49 UTC

On 6/20/2022 9:02 PM, Magewolf wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Jun 2022 16:04:38 -0700, Ahasuerus wrote:
>
>> On Monday, June 20, 2022 at 12:54:10 PM UTC-4, Robert Woodward wrote:

>>> Just how is he uniquely unlike the others? [snip]
>>
>> Well, we don't know what criteria the compiler used, so we can't tell
>> whether the chosen authors meet the criteria. It's like trying to answer
>> the question "What do Harlan Ellison, Roger Zelazny, George Alec
>> Effinger, Lois McMaster Bujold and R. A. MacAvoy have in common?"
>
> He might be going by being known outside the fandom bubble. William
> Gibson has the techy crowd, Jules Verne and H.G. Wells are famous authors
> "claimed" by SF, Robert Heinlein and Isaac Asimov both became famous by
> breaking out of the bubble with their books, Arthur C. Clarke broke out
> with books and then exploded with the movies, Ursula K.Le Guin has
> academia, Ray Bradbury broke out with books has academia and TV and
> movies, Frank Herbert has Dune and all the multimedia chaos around it,
> Philip K. Dick has movies and some academia, and John Ringo seems to be
> much more popular outside the field than he is in it.
>
> But even then it is a strange list and I would have dropped at least
> three names to get King,Tolkien and Martin on it.

Never drop. My top ten SF book list has over twenty books on it.

Lynn

Re: ³10 Famous Science Fiction Authors²

<t8riqc$oqk$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=75671&group=rec.arts.sf.written#75671

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 23:52:26 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Tue, 21 Jun 2022 04:52 UTC

On 6/20/2022 11:24 PM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
> On 6/20/2022 7:02 PM, Magewolf wrote:

>>> Well, we don't know what criteria the compiler used, so we can't tell
>>> whether the chosen authors meet the criteria. It's like trying to answer
>>> the question "What do Harlan Ellison, Roger Zelazny, George Alec
>>> Effinger, Lois McMaster Bujold and R. A. MacAvoy have in common?"
>>
>> He might be going by being known outside the fandom bubble.  William
>> Gibson has the techy crowd, Jules Verne and H.G. Wells are famous authors
>> "claimed" by SF, Robert Heinlein and Isaac Asimov both became famous by
>> breaking out of the bubble with their books, Arthur C. Clarke broke out
>> with books and then exploded with the movies, Ursula K.Le Guin has
>> academia, Ray Bradbury broke out with books has academia and TV and
>> movies, Frank Herbert has Dune and all the multimedia chaos around it,
>> Philip K. Dick has movies and some academia, and John Ringo seems to be
>> much more popular outside the field than he is in it.
>>
>> But even then it is a strange list and I would have dropped at least
>> three names to get King,Tolkien and Martin on it.
>
> King is Horror, Tolkien and Martin are Fantasy.

Horror is Dark Fantasy.
http://leepers.us/evelyn/faqs/sf-written.htm

Lynn

Re: ³10 Famous Science Fiction Authors²

<nnd$24b96bc2$48ffc80f@55a10865fb8d1b98>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=75672&group=rec.arts.sf.written#75672

Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2022 07:01:20 +0200
From: burrynul...@ppllaanneett.nnll (Sjouke Burry)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
 by: Sjouke Burry - Tue, 21 Jun 2022 05:01 UTC

On 21.06.22 1:15, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> On 6/20/2022 6:04 PM, Ahasuerus wrote:
>> On Monday, June 20, 2022 at 12:54:10 PM UTC-4, Robert Woodward wrote:

>>> Just how is he uniquely unlike the others? [snip]
>>
>> Well, we don't know what criteria the compiler used, so we
>> can't tell whether the chosen authors meet the criteria. It's like
>> trying to answer the question "What do Harlan Ellison, Roger
>> Zelazny, George Alec Effinger, Lois McMaster Bujold and
>> R. A. MacAvoy have in common?"
>
> They all breathed air on a fairly regular basis.
>
> Lynn

The names share ASCII chars,

Re: “10 Famous Science Fiction Authors”

<t8rk1d$1p2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=75673&group=rec.arts.sf.written#75673

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2022 00:13:05 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Tue, 21 Jun 2022 05:13 UTC

On 6/20/2022 1:10 PM, Andrew McDowell wrote:
> On Monday, June 20, 2022 at 4:09:03 PM UTC+1, artyw2@yahoo.com wrote:
>> On Sunday, June 19, 2022 at 10:08:55 PM UTC-5, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>>> “10 Famous Science Fiction Authors”
>>> https://studyfy.com/blog/the-10-best-sci-fi-authors-of-all-time
>>>
>>> “Science fiction is one of the most popular genres of entertainment in
>>> the world today. It has grown from a niche interest 100 years ago into a
>>> multibillion-dollar industry. Now almost every single person on the
>>> planet has either read or watched something related to science fiction.
>>> Its importance is only going to grow in the future. In this article,
>>> we’ll take a look at some of the best sci-fi authors of all time. We’ll
>>> big three of science fiction. We’ll cover the writers who have impacted
>>> the field most strongly. Along this journey, you will come across some
>>> of their best works which are considered the top sci fi books of all time.”
>>>
>>> "William Gibson, Jules Verne, H.G. Wells, Robert Heinlein, Ursula K. Le
>>> Guin, Arthur C. Clarke, Frank Herbert, John Ringo, Isaac Asimov, Ray
>>> Bradbury, and Philip K. Dick."
>> I have read 10/11 of those authors which is better than I usually do with these lists. Perhaps they have a Ringo book at the library...
>
> I can wholeheartedly recommend the Looking Glass series, of which Ringo is a co-author for some and I think only author for others.

I am sorry, I confused the Looking Glass series and the Council Wars
series. You are correct, the Looking Glass series is freaking awesome.
It is the Council Wars series that I feel like was not finished.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074CJ3P3M

Of course, I will always take new books in a series, even if it has been
20 years.

Lynn

Re: ³10 Famous Science Fiction Authors²

<18d60ac6-5f07-4b2f-910e-8ea855a482e6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=75677&group=rec.arts.sf.written#75677

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2022 06:21:58 -0700 (PDT)
From: jack.boh...@gmail.com (Jack Bohn)
 by: Jack Bohn - Tue, 21 Jun 2022 13:21 UTC

On Tuesday, June 21, 2022 at 12:52:32 AM UTC-4, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> On 6/20/2022 11:24 PM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
> > On 6/20/2022 7:02 PM, Magewolf wrote:
> >>
> >> But even then it is a strange list and I would have dropped at least
> >> three names to get King,Tolkien and Martin on it.
> >
> > King is Horror, Tolkien and Martin are Fantasy.
> Horror is Dark Fantasy.
> http://leepers.us/evelyn/faqs/sf-written.htm

But still, the list calls for science fiction.
Of which, Martin has written some in the '70s and '80s, at least.
This makes him, like Arthur Conan Doyle or Carl Sagan, a science fiction writer, even a science fiction writer who is famous and/or influential. Whether you would call any of them a famous or influential science fiction writer is what makes for interesting debate.

--
-Jack

Re: Re: ³10 Famous Science Fiction Authors²

<t8shod$ooo$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=75679&group=rec.arts.sf.written#75679

From: jdnic...@panix.com (James Nicoll)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: Re:_³10_Famous_Science_Fiction_Authors²
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2022 13:40:29 -0000 (UTC)
 by: James Nicoll - Tue, 21 Jun 2022 13:40 UTC

In article <t8rh6k$hrd$1@dont-email.me>,
Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
>On 6/20/2022 7:02 PM, Magewolf wrote:

>>> Well, we don't know what criteria the compiler used, so we can't tell
>>> whether the chosen authors meet the criteria. It's like trying to answer
>>> the question "What do Harlan Ellison, Roger Zelazny, George Alec
>>> Effinger, Lois McMaster Bujold and R. A. MacAvoy have in common?"
>>
>> He might be going by being known outside the fandom bubble. William
>> Gibson has the techy crowd, Jules Verne and H.G. Wells are famous authors
>> "claimed" by SF, Robert Heinlein and Isaac Asimov both became famous by
>> breaking out of the bubble with their books, Arthur C. Clarke broke out
>> with books and then exploded with the movies, Ursula K.Le Guin has
>> academia, Ray Bradbury broke out with books has academia and TV and
>> movies, Frank Herbert has Dune and all the multimedia chaos around it,
>> Philip K. Dick has movies and some academia, and John Ringo seems to be
>> much more popular outside the field than he is in it.
>>
>> But even then it is a strange list and I would have dropped at least
>> three names to get King,Tolkien and Martin on it.
>
>King is Horror, Tolkien and Martin are Fantasy.

Martin had his Thousand Worlds, although I don't think he's had a story in
that setting for a while:

Dying of the Light (novel)
Tuff Voyaging (fix-up)

A Song for Lya