It'll be just like Beggars' Canyon back home. -- Luke Skywalker

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / Re: SF & the weather

SubjectAuthor
* SF & the weatherCharles Packer
+- Re: SF & the weatherted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
+* Re: SF & the weatherGary R. Schmidt
|+* Re: SF & the weatherMichael F. Stemper
||`- Re: SF & the weatherMichael F. Stemper
|+- Re: SF & the weatherJames Nicoll
|+- Re: SF & the weatherRobert Woodward
|`* Re: SF & the weatherCharles Packer
| +* Re: SF & the weatherJack Bohn
| |`* Re: SF & the weatherted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
| | `* Re: SF & the weatherDorothy J Heydt
| |  `- Re: SF & the weatherted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
| `- Re: SF & the weatherPaul S Person
+- Re: SF & the weatherScott Lurndal
+- Re: SF & the weatherPaul S Person
+- Re: SF & the weatherLynn McGuire
+- Re: SF & the weathera425couple
+* Re: SF & the weatherRobert Carnegie
|`* Re: SF & the weatherStephen Harker
| +* Re: SF & the weatherRobert Carnegie
| |+- Re: SF & the weatherRobert Carnegie
| |`- Re: SF & the weatherRobert Carnegie
| `* Re: SF & the weatherMichael F. Stemper
|  `- Re: SF & the weatherStephen Harker
+* Re: SF & the weatherChristian Weisgerber
|`* Re: SF & the weatherDon
| +* Re: SF & the weatherted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
| |+- Re: SF & the weatherPaul S Person
| |`- Re: SF & the weatherRobert Carnegie
| `- Re: SF & the weatherChristian Weisgerber
+- Re: SF & the weatherDavid Dalton
+* Re: SF & the weatherMichael F. Stemper
|`- Re: SF & the weatherDimensional Traveler
+- Re: SF & the weatherMoriarty
+* Re: SF & the weatherpeterwezeman@hotmail.com
|`* Re: SF & the weatherCharles Packer
| `* Re: SF & the weatherMichael F. Stemper
|  +* Re: SF & the weatherted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
|  |`* Re: SF & the weatherpeterwezeman@hotmail.com
|  | `* Re: SF & the weatherted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
|  |  `* Re: SF & the weatherpeterwezeman@hotmail.com
|  |   `* Re: SF & the weatherted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
|  |    `* Re: SF & the weatherMoriarty
|  |     `* Re: SF & the weatherWilliam Hyde
|  |      +* Re: SF & the weatherpeterwezeman@hotmail.com
|  |      |`- Re: SF & the weatherPaul S Person
|  |      `* Re: SF & the weatherDorothy J Heydt
|  |       +- Re: SF & the weatherted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
|  |       `- Re: SF & the weatherPaul S Person
|  `* Re: SF & the weatherMichael F. Stemper
|   `* Re: SF & the weatherCharles Packer
|    `- Re: SF & the weatherMichael F. Stemper
`- Re: SF & the weatherWolffan

Pages:123
Re: SF & the weather

<rL5JyI.14DF@kithrup.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=81627&group=rec.arts.sf.written#81627

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
From: djhe...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt)
Subject: Re: SF & the weather
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2022 22:03:54 GMT
 by: Dorothy J Heydt - Thu, 10 Nov 2022 22:03 UTC

In article <60ee3101-3619-442b-b3af-932e813d2ef8n@googlegroups.com>,
William Hyde <wthyde1953@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Monday, November 7, 2022 at 10:19:48 PM UTC-5, Moriarty wrote:
>> On Tuesday, November 8, 2022 at 1:54:06 PM UTC+11, Ted Nolan
><tednolan> wrote:

>Neanderthals,

>it gets.

>young adult
>> > >
>> > I could be wrong, but I thought he was on record as being kind of
>> > embarrassed by its first-novelness.
>> Fairly common I would have thought. I recall Lawrence Watt-Evans
>saying something similar about an early novel of his.
>
>And Clarke rewrote "Against the fall of night" as "The city and the
>stars". Later, though, he was not entirely sure
>which was better.
>
>Outside the field, Stephen Jay Gould mused about buying up and burning
>all copies of his first collection of
>essays.

(Hal Heydt)
Heh... I once presented Randall Garrett with a used copy of a
real pot boiler he'd written with someone else called "Pagan
Passions". He looked at it, said "I thought we'd managed to get
rid of all the copies of that." Then he signed it in a way to
get back at me. The inscription is "To Hal, Who at least knows
what a pagan is."

The plot of the book is really weird. The Greek gods have
returned and taken over (the Empire State Building is now the
Tower of Zeus, this being back when that was the tallest building
in NYC). Turns out, they're a bunch of criminal aliens with a
machine that gives them god-like powers and they've been in
hiding from the equivalent of the interstellar policce for the
2500 years or so. Our Hero has to figure all this, why they're
"recruiting" him, and then how to turn them in.

Re: SF & the weather

<jt5bl1F8lbjU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=81629&group=rec.arts.sf.written#81629

From: ...@ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: 10 Nov 2022 22:18:10 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Thu, 10 Nov 2022 22:18 UTC

In article <rL5JyI.14DF@kithrup.com>,
Dorothy J Heydt <djheydt@kithrup.com> wrote:
>In article <60ee3101-3619-442b-b3af-932e813d2ef8n@googlegroups.com>,
>William Hyde <wthyde1953@gmail.com> wrote:
>>On Monday, November 7, 2022 at 10:19:48 PM UTC-5, Moriarty wrote:
>Ben Bova.

>machines
>>Neanderthals,

>>it gets.

>>young adult

>>> Fairly common I would have thought. I recall Lawrence Watt-Evans
>>saying something similar about an early novel of his.
>>
>>And Clarke rewrote "Against the fall of night" as "The city and the
>>stars". Later, though, he was not entirely sure
>>which was better.
>>
>>Outside the field, Stephen Jay Gould mused about buying up and burning
>>all copies of his first collection of
>>essays.
>
>(Hal Heydt)
>Heh... I once presented Randall Garrett with a used copy of a
>real pot boiler he'd written with someone else called "Pagan
>Passions". He looked at it, said "I thought we'd managed to get
>rid of all the copies of that." Then he signed it in a way to
>get back at me. The inscription is "To Hal, Who at least knows
>what a pagan is."
>
>The plot of the book is really weird. The Greek gods have
>returned and taken over (the Empire State Building is now the
>Tower of Zeus, this being back when that was the tallest building
>in NYC). Turns out, they're a bunch of criminal aliens with a
>machine that gives them god-like powers and they've been in
>hiding from the equivalent of the interstellar policce for the
>2500 years or so. Our Hero has to figure all this, why they're
>"recruiting" him, and then how to turn them in.

And now it's online forever...

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/22767/22767-h/22767-h.htm
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: SF & the weather

<gl0tmhddko82eqbruci2qh0iinahleoa1e@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=81655&group=rec.arts.sf.written#81655

From: psper...@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2022 09:17:13 -0800
 by: Paul S Person - Fri, 11 Nov 2022 17:17 UTC

On Thu, 10 Nov 2022 22:03:54 GMT, djheydt@kithrup.com (Dorothy J
Heydt) wrote:

>In article <60ee3101-3619-442b-b3af-932e813d2ef8n@googlegroups.com>,
>William Hyde <wthyde1953@gmail.com> wrote:
>>On Monday, November 7, 2022 at 10:19:48 PM UTC-5, Moriarty wrote:

>>Neanderthals,

>>it gets.

>>young adult

>>> Fairly common I would have thought. I recall Lawrence Watt-Evans
>>saying something similar about an early novel of his.
>>
>>And Clarke rewrote "Against the fall of night" as "The city and the
>>stars". Later, though, he was not entirely sure
>>which was better.
>>
>>Outside the field, Stephen Jay Gould mused about buying up and burning
>>all copies of his first collection of
>>essays.
>
>(Hal Heydt)
>Heh... I once presented Randall Garrett with a used copy of a
>real pot boiler he'd written with someone else called "Pagan
>Passions". He looked at it, said "I thought we'd managed to get
>rid of all the copies of that." Then he signed it in a way to
>get back at me. The inscription is "To Hal, Who at least knows
>what a pagan is."
>
>The plot of the book is really weird. The Greek gods have
>returned and taken over (the Empire State Building is now the
>Tower of Zeus, this being back when that was the tallest building
>in NYC). Turns out, they're a bunch of criminal aliens with a
>machine that gives them god-like powers and they've been in
>hiding from the equivalent of the interstellar policce for the
>2500 years or so. Our Hero has to figure all this, why they're
>"recruiting" him, and then how to turn them in.

Any known link to "Percy Jackson & the Olympians"? If found the first
(only?) film a bit ... overly cute, but it did put the Greek Gods in
pretty much the same location.

In retrospect, it may be the best /Aquaman/ live-action film I ever
saw, if only because it's not the same old origin story all over
again. And it lacks the intense seriousness of most of the DC
live-action movies.
--
"In this connexion, unquestionably the most significant
development was the disintegration, under Christian

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / Re: SF & the weather