From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-20 (Saturday)
Date: Sun, 21 May 2023 13:38:31 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Sun, 21 May 2023 20:38 UTC

On 5/21/2023 12:25 PM, Arthur Lipscomb wrote:
> On 5/21/2023 9:39 AM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
>> On 5/21/2023 9:08 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
>>>
>>> What did you watch?
>>>
>> Well, since you asked....
>>
>> What Did You Watch? May 20 2023 (Saturday)
>>
>> Stargate SG-1, S5E05 'Red Sky' (DVD)
>> "When SG-1 inadvertently dooms a planet upon arrival, the team must
>> overcome Asgardian diplomacy and indigenous religious prejudice to put
>> things right."
>>

>> Major Samantha Carter: Sir, I've been thinking.
>> Colonel Jack O'Neill: I'd be shocked if you ever stopped, Carter.
>>
>> Colonel Jack O'Neill: I have great confidence in you Carter. Go on
>> back to the SGC and... confuse Hammond.
>>
>> Major General George Hammond: I thought the odds of success for this
>> scenario were one in a million, Major?
>> Major Samantha Carter: Yes, sir. But I now think that we can increase
>> that estimate to one percent.
>> Colonel Jack O'Neill: It's your call, General. I only understand about
>> one percent of what she says half the time.
>>
>> Dr. Daniel Jackson: Miracles?
>> Colonel Jack O'Neill: Yeah, that's what it'll look like to them.
>> Dr. Daniel Jackson: That's what what will look like to them?
>> Colonel Jack O'Neill: Whatever Carter comes up with.
>>
>> Commentary by Martin Wood (director with the big wrench), James
>> Tichenor and Amanda Tapping.  There was some discussion during
>> pre-production about making this episode one where SG-1 "loses" and is
>> unable to fix the problem they caused.  It would have left the
>> audience with that doubt in the future "can they win this one?"  (I
>> think its related to the urge to kill off a lead character every once
>> a while.)  The Asgard are one of Amanda's favorite guest stars.  :)
>> Some discussion about successive generations of "Thor" (the Asgard
>> animatronic puppets). Amanda hates having to use food props to explain
>> complex physics issues.
>>
>> -----------------
>>
>> Stargate SG-1, S5E06 'Rite of Passage' (DVD)
>> "When Cassandra collapses at home, she is taken to the SGC for treatment.
>
> I have *no* idea who Cassandra is.  And she's an alien living on Earth?

She was the sole survivor of a plague that also wiped out another SG
team observing black hole in season 1, episode Singularity. She was
"altered" to be a living bomb that would detonate near the stargate.
She is close to Carter and was adopted by Frasier.

> [...]
>> a bunch of Unas, whose to blame is not at the top of my list of
>> concerns. Yet.
>>
>> Burrock: It is our custom to welcome visitors with a drink. Will you
>> join me?
>> Colonel Jack O'Neill: It is our custom to drink. Of course.
>>
>> Dr. Daniel Jackson: They say Chaka is their leader. They must
>> recognize that he wouldn't leave without them.
>> Colonel Jack O'Neill: Daniel, dogs sniff each other's butts, and
>> they're friends for life. We still keep them as pets.
>>
>> Trivia: This episode was shot at Bordertown, a Virtue Studios filming
>> ranch just east of Vancouver. This was also the location for Edora in
>> the season three episode "A Hundred Days".
>>
>> Larry Drake plays the big bad in this episode.  I'm sure Ian will know
>> who he is if no one else does.
>>

> I definitely know who Larry Drake is.  I spent my childhood watching him
> in TV and movies.  But I don't recall him in Stargate.
>
>> Commentary by Martin Wood (director), DP and Tichenor (again!).  The
>> extras in this episode were the same extras from 'Red Sky'.  They did
>> so well in that episode the production hired them again.
>>

>> What Did You Watch?
>>

> I watched:
>

> Batman (4K disc) 1989 superhero movie directed by Tim Burton and
> starring Michael Keaton as Batman and Jack Nicholson as The Joker.  I've
> been looking forward to revisiting the Burtonverse Batflicks for a
> while.  This one held up great.
>
> Batman Returns (4K disc) 1992 sequel with Tim Burton returning to direct
> Keaton's Batman who this time goes up against Danny Devito's Penguin and
> Michelle Pfeiffer's Catwoman.  Holds up great.
>
> Batman Forever (4K disc) 1995 sequel which swaps out Burton and brings
> in Joel Schumacher as the new director and replaces Keaton with Val
> Kilmer as the new Batman.  Batman battles Riddler (Jim Carey) and
> Two-Face (Tommy Lee Jones) with help from his side kick Robbin) Chris
> O'Donnell)
>
> Batman & Robin (4K disc) 1997 sequel once again directed by Schumacher,
> but swapping out Batman's again, this time with George Clooney phoning
> it in.  They are joined by Alicia Silverstone's Batgirl as they save the
> day from Mr. Freeze (Arnold Schwarzeneger), Poison Ivy (Uma Thurman) and
> a completely wasted Bane.
>

> Dumbo (4K disc) 2019 live action remake of the Disney classic directed
> by Tim Burton and starring Michael Keaton and Danny Devito.  It was just
> above background noise.
>

> The Mysterious Benedict Society (Disney+) - "Free of Pointless Command"
> - This season is really feeling like filler.  This episode has the kids
> taking a cab to the airport and huge amount of time in the episode is
> just dealing with the kids dealing with the cab drive and paying him and
> related nonsense.  Although more interesting was Mr. Benedict succumbing
> to his brother's evil brainwashing techniques and the discovery that
> some of the brainwash victims are becoming comatose.

dirty old man.

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o What Did You Watch? 2023-05-20 (Saturday)

By: Ian J. Ball on Sun, 21 May 2023

33Ian J. Ball