From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2023-05-20 (Saturday)
Date: Sun, 21 May 2023 17:13:17 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Mon, 22 May 2023 00:13 UTC

On 5/21/2023 3:24 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> [...]
>>> in its base.  :D
>>>
>>> Commentary by Peter DeLuise (director) and James Tichenor.
>>>
>>> -----------------
>>>
>>> Stargate SG-1, S5E07 'Beast of Burden' (DVD)
>>> "Daniel has been surreptitiously studying the Unas people of P3X-888.
>
> How exactly has he been doing that? Is he gating over on weekends when no
> one’s looking?
>

>>> He's learned a great deal about their culture and 70 individual words in
>>> their language. His most recent video images from the planet however
>>> show one of the Unas, named Chaka, apparently being abducted by a group
>>> of men. Also of concern is that the kidnappers are using Goa'uld
>>> weapons. They follow the through the gate and find the Unas are being
>>> used as slave labor. The head slaver, Burrock, isn't too keen to hand
>>> over his latest slave to Daniel and he and Jack soon find themselves
>>> behind bars. In the end, there is only one option available to them: to
>>> fight their way out. The Unas slaves stage a revolt."
>
> “The Unas are revolting!“
>

>>> Dr. Daniel Jackson: [Chaka attempts to apologise to Colonel O'Neill for
>>> getting he and Daniel captured by the slavers] Jack, it's not his fault.
>>> Colonel Jack O'Neill: Daniel, I'm chained up in a bad man's barn with a
>>> bunch of Unas, whose to blame is not at the top of my list of concerns.
>>> Yet.
>>>
>>> Burrock: It is our custom to welcome visitors with a drink. Will you
>>> join me?
>>> Colonel Jack O'Neill: It is our custom to drink. Of course.
>>>
>>> Dr. Daniel Jackson: They say Chaka is their leader. They must recognize
>>> that he wouldn't leave without them.
>>> Colonel Jack O'Neill: Daniel, dogs sniff each other's butts, and they're
>>> friends for life. We still keep them as pets.
>>>
>>> Trivia: This episode was shot at Bordertown, a Virtue Studios filming
>>> ranch just east of Vancouver. This was also the location for Edora in
>>> the season three episode "A Hundred Days".
>>>
>>> Larry Drake plays the big bad in this episode.  I'm sure Ian will know
>>> who he is if no one else does.
>
> He’s the guy I always confused with Richard Kind, right?
>

>> I definitely know who Larry Drake is. I spent my childhood watching him
>> in TV and movies. But I don't recall him in Stargate.
>>
>>> Commentary by Martin Wood (director), DP and Tichenor (again!).  The
>>> extras in this episode were the same extras from 'Red Sky'.  They did so
>>> well in that episode the production hired them again.
>>>

>>> What Did You Watch?
>>>

>> I watched:
>>

>> Batman (4K disc) 1989 superhero movie directed by Tim Burton and
>> starring Michael Keaton as Batman and Jack Nicholson as The Joker. I've
>> been looking forward to revisiting the Burtonverse Batflicks for a
>> while. This one held up great.
>
> I wanna special edition where they cut every instance of Prince. And fix
> the terrible animation for the first and last times we see the Batman.

Boo! You might as well cut Queen from Flash Gordon. The music makes
the movie! It's not Batman without the Prince music!

But that animation was horrible even by 80s standards. The other thing
that has always bugged me, even before the movie's release when it was
in the commercials, was the scene when Joker says, "Where does he get
those wonderful toys?" Except the editing cuts off the beginning of the
scene and it sounds more like, "ere does he get those wonderful toys?"

The other thing about that scene is Batman had the joker dead to rights
and instead of handling things there and then he ran off.

>> Batman Returns (4K disc) 1992 sequel with Tim Burton returning to direct
>> Keaton's Batman who this time goes up against Danny Devito's Penguin and
>> Michelle Pfeiffer's Catwoman. Holds up great.
>
> A friend walked into my office and grabbed me by the scruff of the neck in
> the middle of the day, and said we are playing hooky and going to see
> Batman returns. So we did and a ways into it. I said to him that this may
> be one of the very rare sequels that’s better than the original. at that
> moment, giant amusement park penguin rides started breaking up through the
> floor, and the whole thing turned to crap. Said friend blamed me right up
> till the day he died.
>
> I’m still not sure where P. N. Gwynn got the blueprints to the Batmobile!
> Or why the floor of the car is made of wood. Who built this thing, Morgan?

There's a lot about Batman Returns that doesn't make a lick of sense. If
you actually stop to think about it, the whole movie falls apart! But I
enjoy the movie anyway. While you're looking at the Penguin's boat, I'm
looking at Catwoman. As long as Catwoman is on screen the plot doesn't
need to make sense!

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o What Did You Watch? 2023-05-20 (Saturday)

By: Ian J. Ball on Sun, 21 May 2023

33Ian J. Ball