From: ijb...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: Selected programming for April 1-5, 2024
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2024 19:03:50 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 02:03 UTC

On 3/31/24 10:06 PM, Robin Miller wrote:

>         Monday, April 1
>

>     Streaming:
>
> Talk To Me       (movie; streaming premiere)         (3:01 am, Paramount+)
>
> When a group of friends discover how to conjure spirits using an
> embalmed hand, they become hooked on the new thrill, until one of them
> goes too far and unleashes terrifying supernatural forces. 2022 film
> starring no one you've ever heard of; 1h 35m.
>
> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10638522/   [rating 7.1]

Those are the worst kind!! ;)

But I'm interested in checking this one out, as it's "horror".

> Mute Witness       (movie; streaming premiere)         (3:01 am, Shudder)
>
> A mute make-up artist working on a slasher movie being shot in Moscow is
> locked in the studio after hours. While there, she witnesses a brutal
> murder and must escape capture. 1995 film; 1h 35m.
>
> https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3806538/mute-witness-coming-to-4k-from-arrow-video-and-streaming-courtesy-of-shudder/
>
> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110604/      [rating 6.7]
>

> More to watch in April on Shudder and AMC+:
>
> https://www.cabletv.com/horror/shudder-halfway-to-halloween
>
> https://www.cabletv.com/shudder/what-to-watch

But nobody gets!!... [Say it!]

>     Broadcast and cable:
>

> All American        (season 6 premiere)        (8 pm, CW)
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPoHMh7-ZH4

Zzzzzzzz

>         Tuesday, April 2
>

>     Broadcast and cable:
>

> Weakest Link      (season 3 spring premiere)        (9 pm, NBC)

Is Anne Robinson back?...

>         Wednesday, April 3
>

>     Streaming:
>

> Wish        (movie; streaming premiere)        (3:01 am, Disney+)
>
> A young girl named Asha wishes on a star and gets a more direct answer
> than she bargained for when a trouble-making star comes down from the
> sky to join her.
>
> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11304740/     [rating 5.6]

I'll leave this kind of thing to others...

> Behind the Crime: Deadly Military Love Triangle     (documentary) (3:01
> am, Tubi)
>
> When a young Army sergeant is murdered without explanation, the police
> are stumped … until they receive a tip about an enemy lurking in his own
> backyard.
>
> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt31922516/

Odd that Lifetime hasn't tackled this one...

>     Broadcast and cable:
>

> Walker        (season 4 premiere)           (8 pm, CW)
>
> 13 episodes.

Double Zzzzzzzz!!

> Sight Unseen          [new to US]         (9 pm, CW)
>
> Clinically-blind Vancouver homicide detective Tess Avery (Dolly Lewis)
> uses an app that connects her to her New York-based guide Sunny Patel
> (Agam Darshi) to help the police solve cases in this Canadian
> co-produced crime drama series. 10 episodes.
>
> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt30487848/     [rating 5.6]
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sight_Unseen_(TV_series)
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqsHRfQhH5s

I'd rather have "The Sullivan Sisters" back...

> Resident Alien        (season 3 finale)         (10 pm, Syfy)

Not renewed yet?... I wonder if Siffy is finally abandoning scripted
originals...

>         Thursday, April 4
>

>     Streaming:
>

> Música      (movie)     (12:01 am, Prime Video)
>
> A coming-of-age love story that follows an aspiring creator with
> synesthesia, who must come to terms with an uncertain future, while
> navigating the pressures of love, family, and his Brazilian culture in
> Newark, New Jersey. The directorial debut feature from actor/musician
> Rudy Mancuso also stars Mancuso alongside Camila Mendes, Francesca Reale
> and J.B. Smoove. 1h 31m.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VckVviJh8ho
>
> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt19853698/

Maybe, it isn't in the same stunning 4k that "Upgrade" was! ;)

> I Woke Up a Vampire     (complete season 2)          (3:01 am, Netflix)
>
> On her 13th birthday, Carmie discovers that she's actually half human,
> half vampire--and that mythical powers make middle school way more
> complicated. Teen series.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUWwJjRv84w
>
> https://www.netflix.com/title/81589046
>
> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt27591984/    [rating 5.2]

Possibly the dumbest series to ever come out of Can-a-der!!

> Ripley       [new; complete limited series]         (3:01 am, Netflix)
>
> Andrew Scott (Fleabag) stars in an eight-episode adaptation of Patricia
> Highsmith's Tom Ripley novels (previously adapted into the 1999 feature
> film "The Talented Mr. Ripley"). Directed and written in its entirety by
> Steven Zaillian (The Night Of)—and filmed in black and white—the
> stylish, 1960s-set thriller follows the titular con man (Scott) as he is
> enlisted by a wealthy man to locate his son in Italy and return him to
> New York City. Dakota Fanning, John Malkovich, and Johnny Flynn also
> star in Ripley, which was originally ordered (and fully produced) by
> Showtime before that network offloaded the completed series to Netflix
> in a cost-cutting move.

Nobody gets The Netflix!! ;p

>     Broadcast and cable:
>

> Million Dollar Lethal Listing      (movie)        (8 pm, LMN)
>
> Becca and her husband Tom find the perfect suburban house that seems too
> good to be true. Shortly after moving in, the couple is woken up by a
> stranger who claims to be the real owner of the house. The couple’s
> dream home quickly turns into a nightmare as they are forced to unravel
> the truth of secrets and lies. Stars Morgan Bradley, Jon Briddell,
> Ciarra Carter and Jackée Harry.
>
> https://www.mylifetime.com/movies/million-dollar-lethal-listing
>
> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt29380778/

Almost 100% chance it's a Hybrid Films special!!

I'll probably watch this, though I'm doubting it will be any good...

> Elsbeth       (special time)          (9 and 10 pm, two episodes, CBS)
>
> Episodes 2 and 3, shown out of order according to IMDb. After tonight,
> the show's regular time is Thursday at 10 pm. These are the first new
> episodes since the pilot was broadcast on Feb. 29 and March 14 and 30.
>
> https://www.cbs.com/shows/elsbeth/

More material for Adam!!

>         Friday, April 5
>

>     Streaming:
>

> How to Date Billy Walsh       (movie)        (12:01 am, Prime Video)
>
> Teenagers Amelia (Charithra Chandran) and Archie (Sebastian Croft) have
> been best friends since childhood. Archie has always been there to fight
> Amelia’s battles and laugh at her jokes all whilst keeping his lifelong
> love for her a secret. Just when he builds up the courage to declare his
> feelings, Amelia falls head over heels for Billy Walsh (Tanner
> Buchanan), the new American transfer student. Heartbroken Archie goes to
> great lengths to try and keep Amelia and Billy away from each other but
> ends up pushing them closer together and risks losing his best friend in
> the process. Rescheduled from September. 1h 38m.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQHx9ems_I4
>
> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt16156616/

Meh...

> Alex Rider         (complete final season 3)          (12:01 am, Amazon
> Freevee)
>
> 8 episodes.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnAc-Yg2NVg
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Rider_(TV_series)
>
> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6964748/     [rating 7.5]

Unpossible! Everywon knows that "Freevee" doesn't exist anymore!! ;p

> Girls State        (documentary)         (12:01 am, Apple TV+)
>
> What would American democracy look like in the hands of teenage girls? A
> political coming-of-age story and a stirring reimagination of what it
> means to govern, “Girls State" follows young female leaders ­ from
> wildly different backgrounds across Missouri ­ as they navigate an
> immersive experiment to build a government from the ground up. 1h 35m.

I'd rather eat lead! :p

> Sugar          [new]         (12:01 am, Apple TV+)
>
> Originally ordered by Apple in 2021 after a bidding war that also
> involved Netflix, this detective series from screenwriter Mark
> Protosevich (The Cell, I Am Legend) stars Colin Farrell as the titular
> private investigator John Sugar, who is hired to find the missing
> granddaughter of a legendary film producer. Amy Ryan, James Cromwell,
> Anna Gunn, Kirby Howell-Baptiste, Nate Corddry, and Dennis Boutsikaris
> also star in the modern noir series, while Fernando Meirelles (City of
> God, The Constant Gardener) and Adam Arkin share directing duties. The
> first three (of eight) episodes stream today; the rest follow once
> weekly through May 17.

Meh. Prolly not interested.

> Dinosaur         [new; complete season 1]           (12:01 am, Hulu)
>
> Dinosaur follows Nina (Ashley Storrie), an autistic woman in her 30s,
> who adores living with her sister and best friend, Evie [Kat Ronney].
> They have a routine, and they understand each other like no one else
> could until Evie rushes into an engagement after only six weeks. Nina is
> forced to grapple with her sister’s impulsive decision whilst navigating
> love, sisterhood and her life as it’s turned upside down. All six
> first-season episodes of the British comedy series stream today.

Oh, hells, no! Esp. not as a series!

> Scoop          (movie)            (3:01 am, Netflix)
>
> Rufus Sewell plays Prince Andrew in a dramatization of his 2019 BBC
> interview with Newsnight reporter Emily Maitlis (Gillian Anderson).
> Billie Piper, Keeley Hawes, and Romola Garai also star. British
> production; 1h 42m.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZcHc3zEEoc
>
> https://www.netflix.com/title/81600418
>
> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt21279806/

Hmmm. Probably would have been interested in this...

> The Zone of Interest       (movie; streaming premiere)       (3:01 am, Max)
>
> Auschwitz commandant Rudolf Höss and his wife Hedwig [Christian Friedel
> and Sandra Hüller] strive to build a dream life for their family in a
> house and garden beside the camp. 1h 45m. Won the Academy Award for Best
> International Feature Film.
>
> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7160372/     [rating 7.5]

Arthur says "No!"

> Night Swim       (movie; streaming premiere)       (3:01 am, Peacock)
>
> A family moves into a new home, unaware that a dark secret from the
> house's past will unleash a malevolent force in the backyard pool. Stars
> Wyatt Russell and Kerry Condon; 1h 38m.
>
> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9682428/    [rating 4.7]

Cool. More horror! - Very interested in this.

> Festival of the Living Dead    (movie)         (3:01 am, Tubi)
>
> While attending a festival to commemorate the original zombie attack,
> Ash [Ashley Moore] and her friends encounter the living dead and must
> fight back or be devoured. Also stars Camren Bicondova as Iris.
>
> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt27739396/
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Festival_of_the_Living_Dead
>
> https://deadline.com/2023/05/ashley-moore-camren-bicondova-join-tubi-horror-festival-of-the-living-dead-1235363996/
>
> https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3805986/festival-of-the-living-dead-night-of-the-living-dead-tribute-from-the-soska-sisters-releasing-in-april/

Oh, heck, yeah!! ;)

> Baghead         (movie)           (3:01 am, Shudder)
>
> Following the death of her estranged father (Peter Mullan), Iris (Freya
> Allan) learns she has inherited a run-down, centuries-old pub. She
> travels to Berlin to identify her father’s body and meet with The
> Solicitor (Ned Dennehy) to discuss the estate. Little does she know,
> when the deed is signed she will become inextricably tied to an
> unspeakable entity that resides in the pub’s basement – Baghead – a
> shape-shifting creature that can transform into the dead. Two thousand
> in cash for two minutes with the creature is all it takes for desperate
> loved ones to ease their grief. Neil (Jeremy Irvine), who has lost his
> wife, is Iris’ first customer. Like her father, Iris is tempted to
> exploit the creature’s powers and help desperate people for a price. But
> she soon discovers breaking the two-minute rule can have terrifying
> consequences. Together with her best friend Katie (Ruby Barker), Iris
> must battle to keep control of Baghead and figure out how to destroy
> her, before she destroys them. 2023 film; 1h 34m.
>
> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14030816/    [5.5 rating]
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOsZq_5s-ak

Too bad this is on Shudder, the streamer nobody gets!!

>     Broadcast and cable:
>

> Mary & George          [new]          (9 pm, Starz)
>
> Julianne Moore and Nicholas Galitzine star as the titular Countess and
> Duke of Buckingham in a seven-part British historical drama set during
> the reign of King James I. It's an adaptation of Benjamin Woolley's book
> The King's Assassin, but this isn't a dry retelling of history: Expect
> lots of humor—and more than one orgy—in this very adult series from
> Killing Eve writer D.C. Moore.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYI7FtJr20c
>
> https://www.metacritic.com/tv/mary-george/     [score 75]
>
> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt26246248/

Nobody gets Starz!!

> (end)

This time, Robin is telling the truth!! ;)

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Selected programming for April 1-5, 2024

By: Robin Miller on Mon, 1 Apr 2024

3Robin Miller