From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: OT: Texas School Shooting
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2022 09:04:44 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Sun, 12 Jun 2022 16:04 UTC

On 6/12/2022 6:01 AM, rkshullat@rosettacondot.com wrote:
> Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>>> The usual way of handling that is let the county sheriff's office be the
>>> town's police force as part of their handling all the rest of the county
>>> that doesn't have a dedicated force.  In most states the sheriffs are
>>> senior to the town/city police forces anyways.
>>>
>> A few more thoughts. Why does a school district of _grade schools_ need
>> a police force in the first place? And if the area can't support a
>> police force for the whole town, how is it paying for one for just the
>> school(s)? And how are the laws in Texas written so that a school
>> district police force somehow is more senior than the local city police
>> force, the county sheriff, the Texas Rangers and a Federal Law
>> Enforcement Agency?
>
> Jurisdiction and responsibilities. If there's a city or school police force
> they should understand the environment and situation better than a random
> responder from somewhere else. The county sheriff's office isn't funded or
> staffed to be the primary law enforcement for a city of any size. The Texas
> Department of Public Safety (the Rangers are a small division of that) is
> more a state bureau of investigation than a state police force. The closest
> thing to that would be the Highway Patrol in the DPS, but they've got roughly
> 1 trooper per 100 sq miles (and about 1 Ranger per 1500 sq miles).
> Likewise the county sheriffs...they have the general responsibility of
> law enforcement in their counties but they also operate the county jail,
> provide court security, serve warrants, etc. If they show up at a school
> it might be the first time they've ever been there, unless they happen to
> have kids attending. They also might not have had the training that school
> district officers, or city officers assigned to a school, have had (or are
> supposed to have had).

In the latest Texas incident it appears the local officers didn't have
_any_ training for this kind of situation while a unit of the Border
Patrol who's whole purpose is to deal with this kind of situation had to
wait for the locals to get their thumbs out of their posteriors. Just
because a higher agency takes charge doesn't mean they don't get briefed
by the relieved personnel on the situation and any special conditions.
And in general each step "up" in that kind of chain is to a larger
agency with a bigger budget to support the specialized training for that
kind of situation. Otherwise why would they be called in?

> School districts are also complicated in Texas...they have only tangential
> relationship to cities. It's not uncommon for them to have the same name as
> the largest city in the district (or sometimes the county they mostly serve)
> but not necessarily...the one we're in is named after a local resident who
> was a strong proponent of education and covers a bunch of small towns and
> unincorporated areas. There's also no official relationship between cities
> and districts. Our town is only 8000 people but you can be in one of four
> different school districts depending on exactly where in town you live.
> Districts also vary wildly in size...our district has about 4000 students,
> the neighboring district closer to 22,000 (and both have a single high
> school). Dallas has over 150,000.

That still doesn't explain to me why grade schools "need" their own
independent police force rather than the individual schools being
covered by the LEO handling their location.

dirty old man.

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o OT: Texas School Shooting

By: peterwezeman@hotmail on Fri, 10 Jun 2022