A pessimist is a man who has been compelled to live with an optimist. -- Elbert Hubbard

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Disposing of a mattress

SubjectAuthor
* Disposing of a mattressGB
+* Re: Disposing of a mattressSH
|+* Re: Disposing of a mattressGB
||`- Re: Disposing of a mattressTheo
|`* Re: Disposing of a mattressalan_m
| +* Re: Disposing of a mattressSH
| |`* Re: Disposing of a mattressSteveW
| | +* Re: Disposing of a mattressThe Natural Philosopher
| | |`* Re: Disposing of a mattressAndrew
| | | `* Re: Disposing of a mattressThe Natural Philosopher
| | |  `- Re: Disposing of a mattressPaul
| | `* Re: Disposing of a mattressAndrew
| |  `- Re: Disposing of a mattressSteveW
| `* Re: Disposing of a mattressRoger Mills
|  +- Re: Disposing of a mattressAndy Burns
|  `- Re: Disposing of a mattressThenoo Me
+* Re: Disposing of a mattressAndy Burns
|`- Re: Disposing of a mattressSteveW
+* Re: Disposing of a mattressSam Plusnet
|+* Re: Disposing of a mattressTim+
||+* Re: Disposing of a mattressSam Plusnet
|||+- Re: Disposing of a mattressjim.gm4dhj
|||+* Re: Disposing of a mattressColin Bignell
|||`* Re: Disposing of a mattressalan_m
||| `* Re: Disposing of a mattressThe Natural Philosopher
|||  `* Re: Disposing of a mattressClive Arthur
|||   +* Re: Disposing of a mattressSam Plusnet
|||   |`- Re: Disposing of a mattressGB
|||   `- Re: Disposing of a mattressThe Natural Philosopher
||`- Re: Disposing of a mattressjim.gm4dhj
|`* Re: Disposing of a mattressAndrew
| +- Re: Disposing of a mattressSam Plusnet
| +* Re: Disposing of a mattressTheo
| |+- Re: Disposing of a mattressalan_m
| |`- Re: Disposing of a mattressThenoo Me
| `- Re: Disposing of a mattressOwain Lastname
+* Re: Disposing of a mattressAnimal
|`- Re: Disposing of a mattressalan_m
+* Re: Disposing of a mattressThomas Prufer
|`- Re: Disposing of a mattressAndrew
+* Re: Disposing of a mattressBrian Gaff
|`* Re: Disposing of a mattressGB
| +* Re: Disposing of a mattressRJH
| |`* Re: Disposing of a mattressAndy Burns
| | `* Re: Disposing of a mattressS Viemeister
| |  `* Re: Disposing of a mattressTheo
| |   +* Re: Disposing of a mattressAndy Burns
| |   |`- Re: Disposing of a mattressTim Lamb
| |   +- Re: Disposing of a mattressS Viemeister
| |   `* Re: Disposing of a mattressRJH
| |    `- Re: Disposing of a mattressTheo
| `- Re: Disposing of a mattressSH
+* Re: Disposing of a mattressRobin
|`- Re: Disposing of a mattressOwain Lastname
`* Re: Disposing of a mattressJohn J
 +* Re: Disposing of a mattressTim+
 |`* Re: Disposing of a mattressVir Campestris
 | `- Re: Disposing of a mattressSteveW
 `* Re: Disposing of a mattressTim Lamb
  `* Re: Disposing of a mattressalan_m
   `- Re: Disposing of a mattressSam Plusnet

Pages:123
Disposing of a mattress

<ublldv$3rpvj$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=101962&group=uk.d-i-y#101962

From: NOTsome...@microsoft.invalid (GB)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Disposing of a mattress
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2023 18:29:36 +0100
 by: GB - Thu, 17 Aug 2023 17:29 UTC

I bought a new mattress from Emma, and very foolishly I didn't take up
their offer (for £45) to dispose of the old mattress.

The good news is that I could saw up the old foam mattress into
reasonable size chunks that will eventually go in the wheelie bin.

That's the end of the good news.

The bad news is so plentiful that it's hard to know where to begin.

The old mattress is 1 cubic metre. But, when it comes to fitting it into
the bin, it's more like 3 m3.

And, the mess! OMG! The mess!

I am blessed with a particularly kind and lovely spouse, but this has
taxed her patience.

Re: Disposing of a mattress

<ublm9f$3rf9q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=101964&group=uk.d-i-y#101964

From: i.l...@spam.com (SH)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Disposing of a mattress
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2023 18:44:15 +0100
 by: SH - Thu, 17 Aug 2023 17:44 UTC

On 17/08/2023 18:29, GB wrote:
> I bought a new mattress from Emma, and very foolishly I didn't take up
> their offer (for £45) to dispose of the old mattress.
>
> The good news is that I could saw up the old foam mattress into
> reasonable size chunks that will eventually go in the wheelie bin.
>
> That's the end of the good news.
>
> The bad news is so plentiful that it's hard to know where to begin.
>
> The old mattress is 1 cubic metre. But, when it comes to fitting it into
> the bin, it's more like 3 m3.
>
> And, the mess! OMG! The mess!
>
> I am blessed with a particularly kind and lovely spouse, but this has
> taxed her patience.

Angle grinder? :-D

Some councils offer a large item collection service.

I got rid of 2 double mattresses for £20 all in (Northants) and the
council will collect up to 3 items. They will not collect fridges or
freezers.

Have a look at your local council website.

Re: Disposing of a mattress

<ubln34$3s507$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=101966&group=uk.d-i-y#101966

From: NOTsome...@microsoft.invalid (GB)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2023 18:57:57 +0100
 by: GB - Thu, 17 Aug 2023 17:57 UTC

On 17/08/2023 18:44, SH wrote:
> On 17/08/2023 18:29, GB wrote:
>> I bought a new mattress from Emma, and very foolishly I didn't take up
>> their offer (for £45) to dispose of the old mattress.
>>
>> The good news is that I could saw up the old foam mattress into
>> reasonable size chunks that will eventually go in the wheelie bin.
>>
>> That's the end of the good news.
>>
>> The bad news is so plentiful that it's hard to know where to begin.
>>
>> The old mattress is 1 cubic metre. But, when it comes to fitting it
>> into the bin, it's more like 3 m3.
>>
>> And, the mess! OMG! The mess!
>>
>> I am blessed with a particularly kind and lovely spouse, but this has
>> taxed her patience.
>>

> Angle grinder?   :-D
>

> Some councils offer a large item collection service.
>
> I got rid of 2 double mattresses for £20 all in (Northants) and the
> council will collect up to 3 items. They will not collect fridges or
> freezers.
>
> Have a look at your local council website.

Absolutely agree. Here, in Barnet, it is £35 for 1-3 items. Worth every
penny, it turns out! :)

I'm still hoovering. Just taking a short break.

Re: Disposing of a mattress

<kk760tFaskvU6@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=101967&group=uk.d-i-y#101967

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2023 19:08:29 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 17 Aug 2023 18:08 UTC

GB wrote:

> The old mattress is 1 cubic metre. But, when it comes to fitting it into
> the bin, it's more like 3 m3.

To get rid of my previous one I snapped all the metal rods running top
to bottom (the metal was surprisingly weak) put a couple of ratchet
straps round it and curled it up, then drove it to the tip ... mind you
I did have an estate car back then.

Re: Disposing of a mattress

<6vf*2J5nz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=101969&group=uk.d-i-y#101969

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 17 Aug 2023 19:15:54 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Thu, 17 Aug 2023 18:15 UTC

GB <NOTsomeone@microsoft.invalid> wrote:
> Absolutely agree. Here, in Barnet, it is £35 for 1-3 items. Worth every
> penny, it turns out! :)
>
> I'm still hoovering. Just taking a short break.

I think your problem is now you have 57 items...

Re: Disposing of a mattress

<kk7971Fg422U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=101970&group=uk.d-i-y#101970

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2023 20:02:58 +0100
 by: alan_m - Thu, 17 Aug 2023 19:02 UTC

On 17/08/2023 18:44, SH wrote:
> On 17/08/2023 18:29, GB wrote:
>> I bought a new mattress from Emma, and very foolishly I didn't take up
>> their offer (for £45) to dispose of the old mattress.
>>
>> The good news is that I could saw up the old foam mattress into
>> reasonable size chunks that will eventually go in the wheelie bin.
>>
>> That's the end of the good news.
>>
>> The bad news is so plentiful that it's hard to know where to begin.
>>
>> The old mattress is 1 cubic metre. But, when it comes to fitting it
>> into the bin, it's more like 3 m3.
>>
>> And, the mess! OMG! The mess!
>>
>> I am blessed with a particularly kind and lovely spouse, but this has
>> taxed her patience.
>>

> Angle grinder?   :-D
>

> Some councils offer a large item collection service.

+1
My local council will collect a single/double mattress for a £10 fee and
thereafter £7 for any other bulky item collected at the same time (max 5
items)

> I got rid of 2 double mattresses for £20 all in (Northants) and the
> council will collect up to 3 items. They will not collect fridges or
> freezers.

My council (or more correctly their refuse contractor) will collect
fridges/freezers for the same fee. These items must be defrosted and
shelves removed.

I'm in the process of purchasing a new fridge and the above charges are
under half what the retailer wants for removal of the old fridge.

My local tip will also accept bulky items such as mattresses without a
fee if you can transport it there yourself in a car or car towed
trailer. No commercial waste allowed and the tip now has automatic car
number plate recognition, presumably to track the number of visits.

I know someone who has just got out of the house clearance business
partly because of rising costs of dumping commercial waste. The
commercial waste tip charges £25 for any size mattress, another £25 for
any bed frame, £25 for a sofa, £25 for a armchair etc.

Re: Disposing of a mattress

<ublrdr$3spgj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=101973&group=uk.d-i-y#101973

From: i.l...@spam.com (SH)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2023 20:11:54 +0100
 by: SH - Thu, 17 Aug 2023 19:11 UTC

On 17/08/2023 20:02, alan_m wrote:
> On 17/08/2023 18:44, SH wrote:
>> On 17/08/2023 18:29, GB wrote:
>>> I bought a new mattress from Emma, and very foolishly I didn't take
>>> up their offer (for £45) to dispose of the old mattress.
>>>
>>> The good news is that I could saw up the old foam mattress into
>>> reasonable size chunks that will eventually go in the wheelie bin.
>>>
>>> That's the end of the good news.
>>>
>>> The bad news is so plentiful that it's hard to know where to begin.
>>>
>>> The old mattress is 1 cubic metre. But, when it comes to fitting it
>>> into the bin, it's more like 3 m3.
>>>
>>> And, the mess! OMG! The mess!
>>>
>>> I am blessed with a particularly kind and lovely spouse, but this has
>>> taxed her patience.
>>>

>> Angle grinder?   :-D
>>

>> Some councils offer a large item collection service.
>
> +1
> My local council will collect a single/double mattress for a £10 fee and
> thereafter £7 for any other bulky item collected at the same time (max 5
> items)
>

>> I got rid of 2 double mattresses for £20 all in (Northants) and the
>> council will collect up to 3 items. They will not collect fridges or
>> freezers.
>
> My council (or more  correctly their refuse contractor) will collect
> fridges/freezers for the same fee. These items must be defrosted and
> shelves removed.
>
> I'm in the process of purchasing a new fridge and the above charges are
> under half what the retailer wants for removal of the old fridge.
>
> My local tip will also accept bulky items such as mattresses without a
> fee if you can transport it there yourself in a car or car towed
> trailer. No commercial waste allowed and the tip now has automatic car
> number plate recognition, presumably to track the number of visits.

Its the same here in Northants. Domestic users now have to register for
a trailer permit before arriving with a trailer and you are allowed 3
trailer visits for each 12 months that the permit is valid for.

The trailer permit is free (currently)

There appears to be no limit on trailer size or an allowance for more
visits with smaller trailers.

My trailer is only a 4ft by 3ft so there are poeple out there who have
6ft by 12 ft trailers who get away with far more with this trailer permit.

I also have a roof box on my estate car so I can technically take in
more waste per trip and it doesn;t count as a trailer visit if I do not
have said trailer hitched.

Re: Disposing of a mattress

<z6vDM.351266$mIIb.276595@fx11.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=101978&group=uk.d-i-y#101978

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2023 21:08:00 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Thu, 17 Aug 2023 20:08 UTC

On 17-Aug-23 18:29, GB wrote:
> I bought a new mattress from Emma, and very foolishly I didn't take up
> their offer (for £45) to dispose of the old mattress.
>
> The good news is that I could saw up the old foam mattress into
> reasonable size chunks that will eventually go in the wheelie bin.
>
> That's the end of the good news.
>
> The bad news is so plentiful that it's hard to know where to begin.
>
> The old mattress is 1 cubic metre. But, when it comes to fitting it into
> the bin, it's more like 3 m3.
>
> And, the mess! OMG! The mess!
>
> I am blessed with a particularly kind and lovely spouse, but this has
> taxed her patience.

The last time we 'disposed' of a mattress, SWMBO insisted on taking it
apart and extracting all the pocket springs - on the "They might come in
handy" principle.
I think they are all still up in the loft - along with a couple of tons
of other "They might come in handy" items.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Disposing of a mattress

<1851836611.713998624.289088.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=101988&group=uk.d-i-y#101988

From: tim.dow...@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 17 Aug 2023 20:58:29 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Thu, 17 Aug 2023 20:58 UTC

Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:
> On 17-Aug-23 18:29, GB wrote:
>> I bought a new mattress from Emma, and very foolishly I didn't take up
>> their offer (for £45) to dispose of the old mattress.
>>
>> The good news is that I could saw up the old foam mattress into
>> reasonable size chunks that will eventually go in the wheelie bin.
>>
>> That's the end of the good news.
>>
>> The bad news is so plentiful that it's hard to know where to begin.
>>
>> The old mattress is 1 cubic metre. But, when it comes to fitting it into
>> the bin, it's more like 3 m3.
>>
>> And, the mess! OMG! The mess!
>>
>> I am blessed with a particularly kind and lovely spouse, but this has
>> taxed her patience.
>
> The last time we 'disposed' of a mattress, SWMBO insisted on taking it
> apart and extracting all the pocket springs - on the "They might come in
> handy" principle.

I thought that was a Y-linked trait?

Does she have a suspiciously large Adam’s apple? ;-)

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: Disposing of a mattress

<173c5ad4-802f-4bcb-ad24-3a2ff408938en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=101992&group=uk.d-i-y#101992

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2023 15:26:27 -0700 (PDT)
From: tabbyp...@gmail.com (Animal)
 by: Animal - Thu, 17 Aug 2023 22:26 UTC

On Thursday, 17 August 2023 at 18:29:40 UTC+1, GB wrote:
> I bought a new mattress from Emma, and very foolishly I didn't take up
> their offer (for £45) to dispose of the old mattress.
>
> The good news is that I could saw up the old foam mattress into
> reasonable size chunks that will eventually go in the wheelie bin.
>
> That's the end of the good news.
>
> The bad news is so plentiful that it's hard to know where to begin.
>
> The old mattress is 1 cubic metre. But, when it comes to fitting it into
> the bin, it's more like 3 m3.
>
> And, the mess! OMG! The mess!
>
> I am blessed with a particularly kind and lovely spouse, but this has
> taxed her patience.

some other options...
take it to the tip
pay a disposal company too much
strip the cloth/padding off, take it to the scrappie
give it free on freecycle, gumtree, etc if in good condition, which it likely won't be

Re: Disposing of a mattress

<v4zDM.511875$TCKc.294018@fx13.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=101993&group=uk.d-i-y#101993

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 01:38:50 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Fri, 18 Aug 2023 00:38 UTC

On 17-Aug-23 21:58, Tim+ wrote:
> Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:
>> On 17-Aug-23 18:29, GB wrote:
>>> I bought a new mattress from Emma, and very foolishly I didn't take up
>>> their offer (for £45) to dispose of the old mattress.
>>>
>>> The good news is that I could saw up the old foam mattress into
>>> reasonable size chunks that will eventually go in the wheelie bin.
>>>
>>> That's the end of the good news.
>>>
>>> The bad news is so plentiful that it's hard to know where to begin.
>>>
>>> The old mattress is 1 cubic metre. But, when it comes to fitting it into
>>> the bin, it's more like 3 m3.
>>>
>>> And, the mess! OMG! The mess!
>>>
>>> I am blessed with a particularly kind and lovely spouse, but this has
>>> taxed her patience.
>>
>> The last time we 'disposed' of a mattress, SWMBO insisted on taking it
>> apart and extracting all the pocket springs - on the "They might come in
>> handy" principle.
>
> I thought that was a Y-linked trait?
>
> Does she have a suspiciously large Adam’s apple? ;-)

I am suspicious of many things, but not of her Adam's apple (Eve's
apple?). An inclination towards hoarding isn't exclusive to one gender.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Disposing of a mattress

<ubn3ir$5j56$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=101996&group=uk.d-i-y#101996

From: kinvig.n...@ntlworld.com (jim.gm4dhj)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 07:37:15 +0100
 by: jim.gm4dhj - Fri, 18 Aug 2023 06:37 UTC

On 17/08/2023 21:58, Tim+ wrote:
> Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:
>> On 17-Aug-23 18:29, GB wrote:
>>> I bought a new mattress from Emma, and very foolishly I didn't take up
>>> their offer (for £45) to dispose of the old mattress.
>>>
>>> The good news is that I could saw up the old foam mattress into
>>> reasonable size chunks that will eventually go in the wheelie bin.
>>>
>>> That's the end of the good news.
>>>
>>> The bad news is so plentiful that it's hard to know where to begin.
>>>
>>> The old mattress is 1 cubic metre. But, when it comes to fitting it into
>>> the bin, it's more like 3 m3.
>>>
>>> And, the mess! OMG! The mess!
>>>
>>> I am blessed with a particularly kind and lovely spouse, but this has
>>> taxed her patience.
>>
>> The last time we 'disposed' of a mattress, SWMBO insisted on taking it
>> apart and extracting all the pocket springs - on the "They might come in
>> handy" principle.
>
> I thought that was a Y-linked trait?
>
> Does she have a suspiciously large Adam’s apple? ;-)
>
> Tim

tranny ?

Re: Disposing of a mattress

<ubn3l5$5j56$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=101997&group=uk.d-i-y#101997

From: kinvig.n...@ntlworld.com (jim.gm4dhj)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 07:38:29 +0100
 by: jim.gm4dhj - Fri, 18 Aug 2023 06:38 UTC

On 18/08/2023 01:38, Sam Plusnet wrote:
> On 17-Aug-23 21:58, Tim+ wrote:
>> Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:

>>> The last time we 'disposed' of a mattress, SWMBO insisted on taking it
>>> apart and extracting all the pocket springs - on the "They might come in
>>> handy" principle.
>>
>> I thought that was a Y-linked trait?
>>
>> Does she have a suspiciously large Adam’s apple? ;-)
>
> I am suspicious of many things, but not of her Adam's apple (Eve's
> apple?).  An inclination towards hoarding isn't exclusive to one gender.

tiz

Re: Disposing of a mattress

<ABucndDlIKyBikL5nZ2dnZeNn_idnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=101998&group=uk.d-i-y#101998

Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 08:06:13 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
From: cpb...@bignellREMOVETHIS.me.uk (Colin Bignell)
 by: Colin Bignell - Fri, 18 Aug 2023 07:06 UTC

On 18/08/2023 01:38, Sam Plusnet wrote:
> On 17-Aug-23 21:58, Tim+ wrote:
>> Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:

>>> The last time we 'disposed' of a mattress, SWMBO insisted on taking it
>>> apart and extracting all the pocket springs - on the "They might come in
>>> handy" principle.
>>
>> I thought that was a Y-linked trait?
>>
>> Does she have a suspiciously large Adam’s apple? ;-)
>
> I am suspicious of many things, but not of her Adam's apple (Eve's
> apple?).  An inclination towards hoarding isn't exclusive to one gender.

Following a burst pipe before Christmas, my female neighbour had to move
out and have the house cleared. It required more than 30 skips to clear,
mostly of rubbish she had hoarded.

--
Colin Bignell

Re: Disposing of a mattress

<306udidqqvlhjlefv1cjeoj7soiv6psd8o@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=102000&group=uk.d-i-y#102000

From: prufer.p...@mnet-online.de.invalid (Thomas Prufer)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 09:13:43 +0200
 by: Thomas Prufer - Fri, 18 Aug 2023 07:13 UTC

On Thu, 17 Aug 2023 18:29:36 +0100, GB <NOTsomeone@microsoft.invalid> wrote:

>I bought a new mattress from Emma, and very foolishly I didn't take up
>their offer (for £45) to dispose of the old mattress.
>
>The good news is that I could saw up the old foam mattress into
>reasonable size chunks that will eventually go in the wheelie bin.
>
>That's the end of the good news.
>
>The bad news is so plentiful that it's hard to know where to begin.
>
>The old mattress is 1 cubic metre. But, when it comes to fitting it into
>the bin, it's more like 3 m3.
>
>And, the mess! OMG! The mess!
>
>I am blessed with a particularly kind and lovely spouse, but this has
>taxed her patience.

Stick the foam mattress (or parts thereof) in a plastic bag, perhaps using the
one that the new one came in. Apply the hose of a vacuum cleaner to the bag. The
mattress will contract; roll up the bag, or otherwise get it as small as
possible, while leaving the vacuum running. This will include stepping on it,
being careful to not perforate the plastic. While the mattress is in submission,
wrap the bag in packing tape, like a roast in butcher's twine, or a generous
wrap of clingfilm, or a combination. Remove vacuum hose and let the vacuum run
for a bit to cool the motor...

The mattress will expand alarmingly against the tape (string, rope, clingfilm),
but it will be much smaller.

While the above may sound like a joke: no, it isn't. Yes, this works, and yes, I
have done this successfully (more than once). I'd estimate a size reduction of
10:1.

Thomas Prufer

Re: Disposing of a mattress

<517udidl4ckhl9kaep5fh6kqsbsglcf602@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=102002&group=uk.d-i-y#102002

From: pau...@paulherber.co.uk (Paul Herber)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 08:22:58 +0100
 by: Paul Herber - Fri, 18 Aug 2023 07:22 UTC

On Fri, 18 Aug 2023 08:06:13 +0100, Colin Bignell <cpb@bignellREMOVETHIS.me.uk> wrote:

>On 18/08/2023 01:38, Sam Plusnet wrote:

>>> I thought that was a Y-linked trait?
>>>
>>> Does she have a suspiciously large Adam’s apple? ;-)
>>
>> I am suspicious of many things, but not of her Adam's apple (Eve's
>> apple?).  An inclination towards hoarding isn't exclusive to one gender.
>>

>Following a burst pipe before Christmas, my female neighbour had to move
>out and have the house cleared. It required more than 30 skips to clear,
>mostly of rubbish she had hoarded.

That's the difference. Women hoard rubbish, men keep useful stuff just in case.

--
Regards, Paul Herber
https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

Re: Disposing of a mattress

<kk8ltoFmscbU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=102010&group=uk.d-i-y#102010

From: bob.hen...@outlook.com (Bob Henson)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 08:46:01 +0100
 by: Bob Henson - Fri, 18 Aug 2023 07:46 UTC

On 18.8.23 8:22 am, Paul Herber wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Aug 2023 08:06:13 +0100, Colin Bignell <cpb@bignellREMOVETHIS.me.uk> wrote:

>>> I am suspicious of many things, but not of her Adam's apple (Eve's
>>> apple?).  An inclination towards hoarding isn't exclusive to one gender.
>>>

>>Following a burst pipe before Christmas, my female neighbour had to move
>>out and have the house cleared. It required more than 30 skips to clear,
>>mostly of rubbish she had hoarded.
>
> That's the difference. Women hoard rubbish, men keep useful stuff just in case.

Therein lies another huge difference between the genders (I'm old, so
there are still only two of those). The difference is not only what,
but where (generalization coming up warning). Men don't care what it
looks like so long as they know exactly where it is. Women don't care if
it is never seen again (it usually isn't) so long as they can't see it.

--
Tetbury, Gloucestershire , UK

Licentiae, quam stulti libertatem vocabant - Tacitus

Re: Disposing of a mattress

<kk8n02Fmv26U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=102013&group=uk.d-i-y#102013

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 09:04:18 +0100
 by: alan_m - Fri, 18 Aug 2023 08:04 UTC

On 18/08/2023 01:38, Sam Plusnet wrote:

> I am suspicious of many things, but not of her Adam's apple (Eve's
> apple?).  An inclination towards hoarding isn't exclusive to one gender.

Wait until you move :)

I recently helped with a long distance removal (at the house at the
receiving end). The removal cost around £4K. One van was loaded with
junk consisting mainly of the miscellaneous contents of sheds that
probably hadn't seen the light of day for many years including plastic
roofing sheets that had gone brittle and shite pieces of wood infested
with woodworm.

I didn't enquire about the multiple boxes labelled "loft" that came out
of another van. I guess that at least £2K of the cost of shipping could
have been saved with a well timed bonfire or tip run.

I also know of someone who purchased a wooden shed to store boxes of "it
could come in useful one day". The shed is packed floor to ceiling, side
to side and along the full length with these boxes and would require
hours of back breaking labour to shift them all out if something was
required from the far end. To my knowledge the shed door hasn't been
opened for at least 5 years. The door also has a padlock to stop
thieves stealing the valuable contents :)

Re: Disposing of a mattress

<ubn9ab$6cjl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=102016&group=uk.d-i-y#102016

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 09:15:07 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Fri, 18 Aug 2023 08:15 UTC

On 18/08/2023 08:46, Bob Henson wrote:
> On 18.8.23 8:22 am, Paul Herber wrote:
>> On Fri, 18 Aug 2023 08:06:13 +0100, Colin Bignell
>> <cpb@bignellREMOVETHIS.me.uk> wrote:

>>> Following a burst pipe before Christmas, my female neighbour had to
>>> move out and have the house cleared. It required more than 30 skips
>>> to clear, mostly of rubbish she had hoarded.
>>
>> That's the difference. Women hoard rubbish, men keep useful stuff just
>> in case.
>>

> Therein lies another huge difference between the genders (I'm old, so
> there are still only two of those).

So am I, but there are in fact three. He she and it.
There are only two sexes.

The difference  is not only what,
> but where (generalization coming up warning). Men don't care what it
> looks like so long as they know exactly where it is. Women don't care if
> it is never seen again (it usually isn't) so long as they can't see it.

--
I was brought up to believe that you should never give offence if you
can avoid it; the new culture tells us you should always take offence if

Sir Roger Scruton

Re: Disposing of a mattress

<ubn9lg$6cjl$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=102017&group=uk.d-i-y#102017

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 09:21:04 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Fri, 18 Aug 2023 08:21 UTC

On 18/08/2023 09:04, alan_m wrote:
> On 18/08/2023 01:38, Sam Plusnet wrote:
>
>> I am suspicious of many things, but not of her Adam's apple (Eve's
>> apple?).  An inclination towards hoarding isn't exclusive to one gender.
>>

> Wait until you move :)
>
> I recently helped with a long distance removal (at the house at the
> receiving end). The removal cost around £4K. One van was loaded with
> junk consisting mainly of the miscellaneous contents of sheds that
> probably hadn't seen the light of day for many years including plastic
> roofing sheets that had gone brittle and shite pieces of wood infested
> with woodworm.
>
> I didn't enquire about the multiple boxes labelled "loft" that came out
> of another van. I guess that at least £2K of the cost of shipping could
> have been saved with a well timed bonfire or tip run.
>
> I also know of someone who purchased a wooden shed to store boxes of "it
> could come in useful one day". The shed is packed floor to ceiling, side
> to side and along the full length with these boxes and would require
> hours of back breaking labour to shift them all out if something was
> required from the far end. To my knowledge the shed door hasn't been
> opened for at least 5 years.  The door also has a padlock to stop
> thieves stealing the valuable contents :)

I find a skip every 5 years is optimal. They may take mattresses too.
Sort junk into 'never want to see it again' 'so that's where that went'
and 'wonder if its worth ebaying it'

The cash you make will more than pay for anything you threw away and
then found you needed.

--
“But what a weak barrier is truth when it stands in the way of an
hypothesis!”

Mary Wollstonecraft

Re: Disposing of a mattress

<kk8o1vFmv26U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=102018&group=uk.d-i-y#102018

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 09:22:23 +0100
 by: alan_m - Fri, 18 Aug 2023 08:22 UTC

On 18/08/2023 08:22, Paul Herber wrote:

> That's the difference. Women hoard rubbish, men keep useful stuff just in case.

In my younger days and when I was struggling financially after buying a
property I did overdo the keeping of just in case items.

These days it's very much the case of not keeping too much of things I'm
unlikely to use again and periodically going through and disposing of
items I haven't used in years. Anything that may be of use to someone
else either gets displayed on my front garden driveway with a 'free,
help yourself' sign or gets advertised as free* on social media, but
then goes to the tip if I'm still left with it for a week.

*I sometimes will put a nominal £5/£10 price if the item is potentially
worth a lot more but my main aim is to pass it on after I have stopped
using it.

Re: Disposing of a mattress

<kk8oftFmscaU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=102021&group=uk.d-i-y#102021

From: bob.hen...@outlook.com (Bob Henson)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 09:29:50 +0100
 by: Bob Henson - Fri, 18 Aug 2023 08:29 UTC

On 18.8.23 9:15 am, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
> On 18/08/2023 08:46, Bob Henson wrote:
>> On 18.8.23 8:22 am, Paul Herber wrote:

>>> That's the difference. Women hoard rubbish, men keep useful stuff just
>>> in case.
>>>

>> Therein lies another huge difference between the genders (I'm old, so
>> there are still only two of those).
>
> So am I, but there are in fact three. He she and it.
> There are only two sexes.

In the circumstances under discussion there are only two. Had we been
discussing the niceties of language you would be correct. Still, pedants
of the world unite! :-)

--
Tetbury, Gloucestershire , UK

Licentiae, quam stulti libertatem vocabant - Tacitus

Re: Disposing of a mattress

<fF-dncO-a7kas0L5nZ2dnZeNn_idnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=102023&group=uk.d-i-y#102023

Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 09:46:09 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
From: cpb...@bignellREMOVETHIS.me.uk (Colin Bignell)
 by: Colin Bignell - Fri, 18 Aug 2023 08:46 UTC

> On 18/08/2023 08:46, Bob Henson wrote:
>> On 18.8.23 8:22 am, Paul Herber wrote:

>>> That's the difference. Women hoard rubbish, men keep useful stuff
>>> just in case.
>>>

>> Therein lies another huge difference between the genders (I'm old, so
>> there are still only two of those).
>
> So am I, but there are in fact three. He she and it.
> There are only two sexes.

Good and bad?

--
Colin Bignell

Re: Disposing of a mattress

<ubnbvr$6qlm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=102025&group=uk.d-i-y#102025

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 10:00:39 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Fri, 18 Aug 2023 09:00 UTC

Surely most councils for the princely sum of x pounds an item will remove
most things to a safe resting place.
However if you have sawn it up already with all the bits of foam, then if I
may say so its a self inflicted wound and may require the use of an
industrial vacuum cleaner to get rid of the fragments never mind the other
bits.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"GB" <NOTsomeone@microsoft.invalid> wrote in message
>I bought a new mattress from Emma, and very foolishly I didn't take up
>their offer (for �45) to dispose of the old mattress.
>
> The good news is that I could saw up the old foam mattress into reasonable
> size chunks that will eventually go in the wheelie bin.
>
> That's the end of the good news.
>
> The bad news is so plentiful that it's hard to know where to begin.
>
> The old mattress is 1 cubic metre. But, when it comes to fitting it into
> the bin, it's more like 3 m3.
>
> And, the mess! OMG! The mess!
>
> I am blessed with a particularly kind and lovely spouse, but this has
> taxed her patience.

Re: Disposing of a mattress

<ubnes6$75qk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=102032&group=uk.d-i-y#102032

From: cli...@nowaytoday.co.uk (Clive Arthur)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 10:49:57 +0100
 by: Clive Arthur - Fri, 18 Aug 2023 09:49 UTC

<snip>

> I find a skip every 5 years is optimal. They may take mattresses too.

In my sister's experience - she lives in London - putting a skip outside
your house will act as a mattress magnet, leaving little room for your
own waste.

--
Cheers
Clive