Build a system that even a fool can use and only a fool will want to use it.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Firefox TOT

SubjectAuthor
* Firefox TOTJonathan
+* Re: Firefox TOTAdrian
|+- Re: Firefox TOTBrian Gaff
|`* Re: Firefox TOTJonathan
| `- Re: Firefox TOTDavid Wade
+* Re: Firefox TOTPeter Able
|+* Re: Firefox TOTNY
||+* Re: Firefox TOTcharles
|||`* Re: Firefox TOTNY
||| `- Re: Firefox TOTThe Natural Philosopher
||+* Re: Firefox TOTalan_m
|||`- Re: Firefox TOTThe Natural Philosopher
||+* Re: Firefox TOTAndy Burns
|||`* Re: Firefox TOTAnthonyL
||| `* Re: Firefox TOTJoe
|||  `- Re: Firefox TOTThe Natural Philosopher
||+- Re: Firefox TOTPaul
||`- Re: Firefox TOTThe Natural Philosopher
|+* Re: Firefox TOTalan_m
||`- Re: Firefox TOTThe Natural Philosopher
|+* Re: Firefox TOTAnthonyL
||`- Re: Firefox TOTPeter Able
|`- Re: Firefox TOTHarry Bloomfield Esq
+- Re: Firefox TOTAnother Dave
+* Re: Firefox TOTmm0fmf
|+* Re: Firefox TOTAndy Burns
||`* Re: Firefox TOTTheo
|| `* Re: Firefox TOTAndy Burns
||  `- Re: Firefox TOTTheo
|+* Re: Firefox TOTSH
||`- Re: Firefox TOTThe Natural Philosopher
|`- Re: Firefox TOTThe Natural Philosopher
+- Re: Firefox TOTBrian Gaff
`* Re: Firefox TOTOttavio Caruso
 `* Re: Firefox TOTDave W
  +- Re: Firefox TOTThe Natural Philosopher
  `- Re: Firefox TOTDavid Wade

Pages:12
Firefox TOT

<73b59daa-6710-4187-9970-c11c61942075n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=103976&group=uk.d-i-y#103976

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 07:00:34 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Firefox TOT
From: ward...@gmail.com (Jonathan)
 by: Jonathan - Thu, 14 Sep 2023 14:00 UTC

I have been using Firefox as my browser fo many years, partly because I like it and partly because it's not owned by MS or Google.

In the past few months I have increasingly come across sites that don't work on Fireox; e.g. OVO, the Times, and Easyjet, so I have to copy the link to a different brwoser to make it work.

Is this the end of Firefox, or can I do something to make it work?

Many thanks,

Jonathan

Re: Firefox TOT

<Z+swbRMVPxAlFwfY@ffoil.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=103978&group=uk.d-i-y#103978

From: diy...@ku.gro.lioff (Adrian)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Firefox TOT
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 15:08:21 +0100
 by: Adrian - Thu, 14 Sep 2023 14:08 UTC

In message <73b59daa-6710-4187-9970-c11c61942075n@googlegroups.com>,
Jonathan <wardjfb@gmail.com> writes
>I have been using Firefox as my browser fo many years, partly because I
>like it and partly because it's not owned by MS or Google.
>
>In the past few months I have increasingly come across sites that don't
>work on Fireox; e.g. OVO, the Times, and Easyjet, so I have to copy the
>link to a different brwoser to make it work.
>
>Is this the end of Firefox, or can I do something to make it work?

I run FF on a W10/64 PC with a number of plugins, and FF on a W10/32
Virtual Machine with no plugins enabled. There are some sites which
will not play nicely with the plugins on, but are happy with the plugin
less browser. Invariably the latest version of FF in each case. My
suspicion is that there is something hidden with the plugins that messes
certain things up. Not sure if this helps, but it might be worth
thinking about.

Adrian
--
To Reply :
replace "diy" with "news" and reverse the domain

If you are reading this from a web interface eg DIY Banter,
DIY Forum or Google Groups, please be aware this is NOT a forum, and
you are merely using a web portal to a USENET group. Many people block
posters coming from web portals due to perceieved SPAM or inaneness.
For a better method of access, please see:

Re: Firefox TOT

<udv6vg$2llba$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=103980&group=uk.d-i-y#103980

From: stu...@home.com (Peter Able)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 14:56:48 +0000
 by: Peter Able - Thu, 14 Sep 2023 14:56 UTC

On 14/09/2023 14:00, Jonathan wrote:
> I have been using Firefox as my browser fo many years, partly because I like it and partly because it's not owned by MS or Google.
>
> In the past few months I have increasingly come across sites that don't work on Fireox; e.g. OVO, the Times, and Easyjet, so I have to copy the link to a different brwoser to make it work.
>
> Is this the end of Firefox, or can I do something to make it work?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Jonathan

Add to that list National Savings and Investments and Octopus Energy.

B Annoying.

PA

Re: Firefox TOT

<udvacu$2m9d1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=103985&group=uk.d-i-y#103985

From: me...@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 16:55:26 +0100
 by: NY - Thu, 14 Sep 2023 15:55 UTC

"Peter Able" <stuck@home.com> wrote in message
> On 14/09/2023 14:00, Jonathan wrote:
>> I have been using Firefox as my browser fo many years, partly because I
>> like it and partly because it's not owned by MS or Google.
>>
>> In the past few months I have increasingly come across sites that don't
>> work on Fireox; e.g. OVO, the Times, and Easyjet, so I have to copy the
>> link to a different brwoser to make it work.
>>
>> Is this the end of Firefox, or can I do something to make it work?
>>
>> Many thanks,
>>
>> Jonathan
>
> Add to that list National Savings and Investments and Octopus Energy.
>
> B Annoying.

My mum uses Firefox and she has found some websites which do not allow
creation of a user account - one is Ovo elec/gas meter site, another is
Barclays bank and a third is John Lewis credit card. The typical symptom is
that the site appears to allow an account to be created - supply your email
address and chosen password - but when you try to log in it gives "bad
username or password" errors.

If Google Chrome is used for the creation of the account, Firefox can then
be used for logging in to the site after that.

I've not investigate thoroughly, because the object of the exercise has been
to create the account, not to investigate why FF isn't allowing the account
to be created. I couldn't reproduce the problem on my installation of FF -
when I tried to create one of the accounts that my mother wanted, on my PC,
it worked. The obvious thing to try if I had chance to "play" would be the
total uninstallation of FF, deleting all the FF profile folders, and then
reinstall FF and reinstate the bookmarks/favourites and the saved user
logins (which auto-populate the username/password fields for commonly-used
sites). But it would be a lot of work to get things back to the way they are
at present.

For the time being, the workaround is to create website accounts in Chrome,
then use the sites in FF.

If I could reproduce the error on *all* installations of FF, I'd contact the
site's technical support and report that their site does not work with FF -
which is a major compatibility issue, and the sort of thing that financial
website designers test for (my wife manages a team that does this sort of
compatibility testing for one of the building societies).

Re: Firefox TOT

<udvb7d$2m941$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=103987&group=uk.d-i-y#103987

From: dmars...@nospam.com (Another Dave)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 17:09:17 +0100
 by: Another Dave - Thu, 14 Sep 2023 16:09 UTC

On 14/09/2023 3:00 pm, Jonathan wrote:
> I have been using Firefox as my browser fo many years, partly because I like it and partly because it's not owned by MS or Google.
>
> In the past few months I have increasingly come across sites that don't work on Fireox; e.g. OVO, the Times, and Easyjet, so I have to copy the link to a different brwoser to make it work.

My problem is in the opposite direction. I use Vivaldi (based on
chromium). Some sites don't work properly so I use FF on them. I've
resigned myself to this.

Another Dave
--
Change nospam to techie

Re: Firefox TOT

<kmgqegFe8mfU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=103989&group=uk.d-i-y#103989

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 17:24:48 +0100
 by: alan_m - Thu, 14 Sep 2023 16:24 UTC

On 14/09/2023 15:56, Peter Able wrote:
> On 14/09/2023 14:00, Jonathan wrote:
>> I have been using Firefox as my browser fo many years, partly because
>> I like it and partly because it's not owned by MS or Google.
>>
>> In the past few months I have increasingly come across sites that
>> don't work on Fireox; e.g. OVO, the Times, and Easyjet, so I have to
>> copy the link to a different brwoser to make it work.
>>
>> Is this the end of Firefox, or can I do something to make it work?
>>
>> Many thanks,
>>
>> Jonathan
>
> Add to that list National Savings and Investments and Octopus Energy.

Ok here on win11 and FF 102.15.1 (64-bit)

Are you sure that you haven't got a corrupted copy of the page(s) in the
browser cache?

Re: Firefox TOT

<5ae3d8f72acharles@candehope.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=103990&group=uk.d-i-y#103990

From: char...@candehope.me.uk (charles)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 23 16:30:02 UTC
 by: charles - Thu, 14 Sep 2023 16:30 UTC

In article <udvacu$2m9d1$1@dont-email.me>, NY <me@privacy.invalid> wrote:
> "Peter Able" <stuck@home.com> wrote in message
> > On 14/09/2023 14:00, Jonathan wrote:
> >> I have been using Firefox as my browser fo many years, partly because
> >> I like it and partly because it's not owned by MS or Google.
> >>
> >> In the past few months I have increasingly come across sites that
> >> don't work on Fireox; e.g. OVO, the Times, and Easyjet, so I have to
> >> copy the link to a different brwoser to make it work.
> >>
> >> Is this the end of Firefox, or can I do something to make it work?
> >>
> >> Many thanks,
> >>
> >> Jonathan
> >
> > Add to that list National Savings and Investments and Octopus Energy.
> >
> > B Annoying.

> My mum uses Firefox and she has found some websites which do not allow
> creation of a user account - one is Ovo elec/gas meter site, another is
> Barclays bank and a third is John Lewis credit card. The typical symptom
> is that the site appears to allow an account to be created - supply your
> email address and chosen password - but when you try to log in it gives
> "bad username or password" errors.

I have no problem with JL and Firefox

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England - sent from my RISC OS 4té²

Re: Firefox TOT

<kmgr8jFeg04U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=103993&group=uk.d-i-y#103993

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 17:38:44 +0100
 by: alan_m - Thu, 14 Sep 2023 16:38 UTC

On 14/09/2023 16:55, NY wrote:
> "Peter Able" <stuck@home.com> wrote in message
>> On 14/09/2023 14:00, Jonathan wrote:
>>> I have been using Firefox as my browser fo many years, partly because
>>> I like it and partly because it's not owned by MS or Google.
>>>
>>> In the past few months I have increasingly come across sites that
>>> don't work on Fireox; e.g. OVO, the Times, and Easyjet, so I have to
>>> copy the link to a different brwoser to make it work.
>>>
>>> Is this the end of Firefox, or can I do something to make it work?
>>>
>>> Many thanks,
>>>
>>> Jonathan
>>
>> Add to that list National Savings and Investments and Octopus Energy.
>>
>> B Annoying.
>
> My mum uses Firefox and she has found some websites which do not allow
> creation of a user account - one is Ovo elec/gas meter site, another is
> Barclays bank and a third is John Lewis credit card. The typical symptom
> is that the site appears to allow an account to be created - supply your
> email address and chosen password - but when you try to log in it gives
> "bad username or password" errors.

Some web pages that require text input misbehave if you don't first
click on the accept/manage cookies link. Sometimes this is on a small
bar at the top or bottom of the page and sometime not that obvious.

> If Google Chrome is used for the creation of the account, Firefox can
> then be used for logging in to the site after that.

I always use strong passwords and include special characters, such as
the dollar sign.
The B and Q site used to accept anything you typed in as a password when
creating an account but when trying to log in rejected the password as
being incorrect. Leave out any special characters in the password and
there was no problem

Re: Firefox TOT

<kmguc4Feqa8U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=103996&group=uk.d-i-y#103996

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 18:31:49 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 14 Sep 2023 17:31 UTC

NY wrote:

> My mum uses Firefox and she has found some websites which do not allow
> creation of a user account - one is Ovo elec/gas meter site, another is
> Barclays bank and a third is John Lewis credit card. The typical symptom
> is that the site appears to allow an account to be created - supply your
> email address and chosen password - but when you try to log in it gives
> "bad username or password" errors.

Is she using any form of password manager (firefox's inbuilt, or third
party)? Sometimes I've known them to record the wrong field's contents.

In general I don't find the majority of sites are anti-firefox, some
sites don't like *my* cookie policy though ...

Re: Firefox TOT

<udvh2i$2nfsl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=103999&group=uk.d-i-y#103999

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 13:49:04 -0400
 by: Paul - Thu, 14 Sep 2023 17:49 UTC

On 9/14/2023 11:55 AM, NY wrote:
> "Peter Able" <stuck@home.com> wrote in message news:udv6vg$2llba$1@dont-email.me...
>> On 14/09/2023 14:00, Jonathan wrote:
>>> I have been using Firefox as my browser fo many years, partly because I like it and partly because it's not owned by MS or Google.
>>>
>>> In the past few months I have increasingly come across sites that don't work on Fireox; e.g. OVO, the Times, and Easyjet, so I have to copy the link to a different brwoser to make it work.
>>>
>>> Is this the end of Firefox, or can I do something to make it work?
>>>
>>> Many thanks,
>>>
>>> Jonathan
>>
>> Add to that list National Savings and Investments and Octopus Energy.
>>
>> B Annoying.
>
> My mum uses Firefox and she has found some websites which do not allow creation of a user account - one is Ovo elec/gas meter site, another is Barclays bank and a third is John Lewis credit card. The typical symptom is that the site appears to allow an account to be created - supply your email address and chosen password - but when you try to log in it gives "bad username or password" errors.
>
> If Google Chrome is used for the creation of the account, Firefox can then be used for logging in to the site after that.
>
> I've not investigate thoroughly, because the object of the exercise has been to create the account, not to investigate why FF isn't allowing the account to be created. I couldn't reproduce the problem on my installation of FF - when I tried to create one of the accounts that my mother wanted, on my PC, it worked. The obvious thing to try if I had chance to "play" would be the total uninstallation of FF, deleting all the FF profile folders, and then reinstall FF and reinstate the bookmarks/favourites and the saved user logins (which auto-populate the username/password fields for commonly-used sites). But it would be a lot of work to get things back to the way they are at present.
>
> For the time being, the workaround is to create website accounts in Chrome, then use the sites in FF.
>
> If I could reproduce the error on *all* installations of FF, I'd contact the site's technical support and report that their site does not work with FF - which is a major compatibility issue, and the sort of thing that financial website designers test for (my wife manages a team that does this sort of compatibility testing for one of the building societies).

If it's account creation it is failing at,
it could be it is having trouble depositing a
token on the browser. Maybe it even involves
"cross site something-or-other", which is disallowed
on some browsers for security reasons.

If you tried to create the account, in a "privacy tab", it's
likely the same thing would happen.

Web sites hardly ever actually "rely" on cookies. Oh, the
message on the screen may say "Your cookies are not enabled!".
You check, and damn, the cookies ARE enabled. Yet, the diagnostic
message is bullshit. Instead, the detailed storage could be going
into DOM storage. If you use a search tool in non-regex mode
and search for "+++", you will find the DOM storage which
is already on the machine.

Another storage area besides "cookies.sqlite", is in the same
folder and is "webappsstore.sqlite" . Once "webappsstore.sqlite"
hits around 10 megabytes in size, the performance of the browser
drops, scrolling is slow. And then it is time to shut down the
browser and remove that file. Because normal web site visits
and advertising tracking seem to pound on that file, my assumption
is it's another form of storage about as pestilent as DOM storage is.

*******

At one time, Firefox depended on the security policy settings
of Internet Explorer, for its direction. There were five domains.
And hundreds of registry settings. And Firefox design was supposed
to behave the same way as Internet Explorer. If you accidentally
set Internet Explorer to "High", Firefox would inherit this change
to the settings, and you might notice that certain things no longer
worked on Firefox.

Firefox could not remove that linkage, unless the prefs.js had
inherited a set of entries reproducing the same security effects.

Internet Explorer (like on Win7), has been fitted up by the
Microsoft Bomb Squad. If you tried to start Internet Explorer today,
you'll notice it explodes and there is no operational shell of it left.
Perhaps they are doing this via an ActiveX attack. I don't know
but IE no longer is usable on my Win7 machine, and it has Windows Update
shut off. It did not acquire this behavior, because I left the
updates running. I stopped updates on W7, before the end of support,
precisely to stop this sort of bullshit.

If I knew of a way to get a "precise log" out of Firefox, I'd tell ya.
Software people are not interested in producing information like that,
in the year 2023.

Paul

Re: Firefox TOT

<udvka5$2nupi$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=104003&group=uk.d-i-y#104003

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 19:44:21 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Thu, 14 Sep 2023 18:44 UTC

On 14/09/2023 16:55, NY wrote:
> My mum uses Firefox and she has found some websites which do not allow
> creation of a user account - one is Ovo elec/gas meter site, another is
> Barclays bank and a third is John Lewis credit card.

Barclays bank website is the biggest piece of shite since....HSBCs!

--
It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.
Mark Twain

Re: Firefox TOT

<udvkcc$2nupi$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=104004&group=uk.d-i-y#104004

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 19:45:32 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Thu, 14 Sep 2023 18:45 UTC

On 14/09/2023 17:24, alan_m wrote:
> On 14/09/2023 15:56, Peter Able wrote:
>> On 14/09/2023 14:00, Jonathan wrote:
>>> I have been using Firefox as my browser fo many years, partly because
>>> I like it and partly because it's not owned by MS or Google.
>>>
>>> In the past few months I have increasingly come across sites that
>>> don't work on Fireox; e.g. OVO, the Times, and Easyjet, so I have to
>>> copy the link to a different brwoser to make it work.
>>>
>>> Is this the end of Firefox, or can I do something to make it work?
>>>
>>> Many thanks,
>>>
>>> Jonathan
>>
>> Add to that list National Savings and Investments and Octopus Energy.
>

> Ok here on win11 and FF 102.15.1 (64-bit)
>
> Are you sure that you haven't got a corrupted copy of the page(s) in the
> browser cache?

Good thought. Sometimes clearing all the cache data makes things spring
to life

Years ago I also had an issue which required rebooting the router.

--
It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.
Mark Twain

Re: Firefox TOT

<udvkhn$2nupi$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=104005&group=uk.d-i-y#104005

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 19:48:23 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Thu, 14 Sep 2023 18:48 UTC

On 14/09/2023 17:38, alan_m wrote:
> I always use strong passwords and include special characters, such as
> the dollar sign.
> The B and Q site used to accept anything you typed in as a password when
> creating an account but  when trying to log in rejected the password as
> being incorrect. Leave out any special characters in the password and
> there was no problem
The best one is that I created an account with a chinese company using a
hyphenated name. One day it didn't work. It saad 'only alpha characters
allowed'.
I couldnt log in to change the account and when I took the hyphen out to
create a new account it said 'name already in use'

I haven't bought anything there since.

kind word alone.

Al Capone

Re: Firefox TOT

<ue12ql$3570m$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=104019&group=uk.d-i-y#104019

From: non...@invalid.com (mm0fmf)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2023 08:58:12 +0100
 by: mm0fmf - Fri, 15 Sep 2023 07:58 UTC

On 14/09/2023 15:00, Jonathan wrote:
> I have been using Firefox as my browser fo many years, partly because I like it and partly because it's not owned by MS or Google.
>
> In the past few months I have increasingly come across sites that don't work on Fireox; e.g. OVO, the Times, and Easyjet, so I have to copy the link to a different brwoser to make it work.
>
> Is this the end of Firefox, or can I do something to make it work?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Jonathan

Yes, NS&I and several others. My Firefox is loaded down with NoScript,
Ghostery etc. and quite a few sites are just quite dead. My preferred
alternative is Brave. Chrome with less tracking. Pain in the backside.

Re: Firefox TOT

<kmihd7Fm0r9U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=104020&group=uk.d-i-y#104020

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2023 09:02:48 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 15 Sep 2023 08:02 UTC

mm0fmf wrote:

> My preferred alternative is Brave. Chrome with less tracking.

But with added adverts?

Re: Firefox TOT

<ue13qo$353k0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=104021&group=uk.d-i-y#104021

From: i.l...@spam.com (SH)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2023 09:15:20 +0100
 by: SH - Fri, 15 Sep 2023 08:15 UTC

On 15/09/2023 08:58, mm0fmf wrote:
> On 14/09/2023 15:00, Jonathan wrote:
>> I have been using Firefox as my browser fo many years, partly because
>> I like it and partly because it's not owned by MS or Google.
>>
>> In the past few months I have increasingly come across sites that
>> don't work on Fireox; e.g. OVO, the Times, and Easyjet, so I have to U
>> copy the link to a different brwoser to make it work.
>>
>> Is this the end of Firefox, or can I do something to make it work?
>>
>> Many thanks,
>>
>> Jonathan
>>
> Yes, NS&I and several others. My Firefox is loaded down with NoScript,
> Ghostery etc. and quite a few sites are just quite dead. My preferred
> alternative is Brave. Chrome with less tracking. Pain in the backside.

I have:

Edge
Chrome
Firefox

all three are loaded with:

DuckDuckGo privacy essentials
EFF Privacy Badger
Ghostery
Ublock Origin
Disconnect.

I top of all that I also run my own DNS and the upstream DNS is
CLoudflare and I use DoH and DNSSEC.

Mt DNS drops over 50% of all DNS requests which are for adverts and
trackers and 3rd party sites like awin, taboola, googleads etc.

Its not often I have to change a setting when a website breaks.

S.

Re: Firefox TOT

<ue14f5$35g7t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=104025&group=uk.d-i-y#104025

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2023 09:26:09 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Fri, 15 Sep 2023 08:26 UTC

Raise it on bgzilla. As far as I can tell the latest Firefox works
everywhere. If a given site won't work on a mainstream browser, boycott
them. I have to say that I have an old copy of Edge and Waterfox and Firefox
to choose from. This banning of browsers is probably inept coding on the web
site. The fact is though that the code in web sites is often so complex,
some of them won't let you in if your browser has an add blocker or tracking
stopper built in. We are the data they need to make money and anything that
stops that happening usually gets prohibited from the site.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Jonathan" <wardjfb@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have been using Firefox as my browser fo many years, partly because I
>like it and partly because it's not owned by MS or Google.
>
> In the past few months I have increasingly come across sites that don't
> work on Fireox; e.g. OVO, the Times, and Easyjet, so I have to copy the
> link to a different brwoser to make it work.
>
> Is this the end of Firefox, or can I do something to make it work?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Jonathan

Re: Firefox TOT

<ue14i1$35gmg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=104026&group=uk.d-i-y#104026

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2023 09:27:41 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Fri, 15 Sep 2023 08:27 UTC

Yes they try to stop trackers and adverts. Brian

--

--:
"Adrian" <diy@ku.gro.lioff> wrote in message
> In message <73b59daa-6710-4187-9970-c11c61942075n@googlegroups.com>,
> Jonathan <wardjfb@gmail.com> writes
>>I have been using Firefox as my browser fo many years, partly because I
>>like it and partly because it's not owned by MS or Google.
>>
>>In the past few months I have increasingly come across sites that don't
>>work on Fireox; e.g. OVO, the Times, and Easyjet, so I have to copy the
>>link to a different brwoser to make it work.
>>
>>Is this the end of Firefox, or can I do something to make it work?
>>

> I run FF on a W10/64 PC with a number of plugins, and FF on a W10/32
> Virtual Machine with no plugins enabled. There are some sites which will
> not play nicely with the plugins on, but are happy with the plugin less
> browser. Invariably the latest version of FF in each case. My suspicion
> is that there is something hidden with the plugins that messes certain
> things up. Not sure if this helps, but it might be worth thinking about.
>
> Adrian
> --
> To Reply :
> replace "diy" with "news" and reverse the domain
>
> If you are reading this from a web interface eg DIY Banter,
> DIY Forum or Google Groups, please be aware this is NOT a forum, and
> you are merely using a web portal to a USENET group. Many people block
> posters coming from web portals due to perceieved SPAM or inaneness.
> For a better method of access, please see:
>
> http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Usenet

Re: Firefox TOT

<ue15la$35jh9$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=104034&group=uk.d-i-y#104034

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2023 09:46:34 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Fri, 15 Sep 2023 08:46 UTC

On 15/09/2023 08:58, mm0fmf wrote:
> On 14/09/2023 15:00, Jonathan wrote:
>> I have been using Firefox as my browser fo many years, partly because
>> I like it and partly because it's not owned by MS or Google.
>>
>> In the past few months I have increasingly come across sites that
>> don't work on Fireox; e.g. OVO, the Times, and Easyjet, so I have to
>> copy the link to a different brwoser to make it work.
>>
>> Is this the end of Firefox, or can I do something to make it work?
>>
>> Many thanks,
>>
>> Jonathan
>>
> Yes, NS&I and several others. My Firefox is loaded down with NoScript,
> Ghostery etc. and quite a few sites are just quite dead. My preferred
> alternative is Brave. Chrome with less tracking. Pain in the backside.

It is mad to eliminate Javascript if you want to use the modern web.

I use Ublock Origin which simply blocks adware sites. The only time I
block javascript is to read the Daily Telegraph as its paywall is a
javascript overlay.

This also means I can read comments there, but heck, the DT comments are
just a troll farm of lefty refugees from the Guardian.

99% of the time all sites work. At leats half of the failures are down
to sites designed not to work *without* adware. A lot of other failures
are due to cached bad content - deleting the cache works on these.

I dont use any other browser at all than firefox. It is the default
Linux Mint offering, and it works OK for me.

Even on Barclays website these days where for years I used a VMed win
XP to access it.

--
“The fundamental cause of the trouble in the modern world today is that
the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt."

- Bertrand Russell

Re: Firefox TOT

<ue15re$35jh9$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=104036&group=uk.d-i-y#104036

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2023 09:49:50 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Fri, 15 Sep 2023 08:49 UTC

On 15/09/2023 09:15, SH wrote:
> On 15/09/2023 08:58, mm0fmf wrote:
>> On 14/09/2023 15:00, Jonathan wrote:
>>> I have been using Firefox as my browser fo many years, partly because
>>> I like it and partly because it's not owned by MS or Google.
>>>
>>> In the past few months I have increasingly come across sites that
>>> don't work on Fireox; e.g. OVO, the Times, and Easyjet, so I have to U
>>> copy the link to a different brwoser to make it work.
>>>
>>> Is this the end of Firefox, or can I do something to make it work?
>>>
>>> Many thanks,
>>>
>>> Jonathan
>>>
>> Yes, NS&I and several others. My Firefox is loaded down with NoScript,
>> Ghostery etc. and quite a few sites are just quite dead. My preferred
>> alternative is Brave. Chrome with less tracking. Pain in the backside.
>>

> I have:
>
> Edge
> Chrome
> Firefox
>
> all three are loaded with:
>
> DuckDuckGo privacy essentials
> EFF Privacy Badger
> Ghostery
> Ublock Origin
> Disconnect.
>
> I top of all that I also run my own DNS and the upstream DNS is
> CLoudflare and I use DoH and DNSSEC.
>
> Mt DNS drops over 50% of all DNS requests which are for adverts and
> trackers and 3rd party sites like awin, taboola, googleads etc.
>
> Its not often I have to change a setting when a website breaks.
>
> S.

Seems overly complex.

Linux Mint by default runs its own DNS 'server' so manipulation by
upstream ISPs doesn't screw you.

I only run Ublock origin these days as that seems to handle all the adverts.

Sure I get a ton of spam all the time, but my email address has been out
there since the dawn of the UK internet.

--
"A point of view can be a dangerous luxury when substituted for insight
and understanding".

Marshall McLuhan

Re: Firefox TOT

<ue1779$35ud5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=104040&group=uk.d-i-y#104040

From: ottavio2...@yahoo.com (Ottavio Caruso)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2023 09:13:13 +0000
 by: Ottavio Caruso - Fri, 15 Sep 2023 09:13 UTC

Am 14/09/2023 um 14:00 schrieb Jonathan:
> In the past few months I have increasingly come across sites that don't work on Fireox; e.g. OVO, the Times, and Easyjet, so I have to copy the link to a different brwoser to make it work.

Changing the user agent string usually works for me.

https://www.whatismybrowser.com/guides/how-to-change-your-user-agent/firefox

--
Ottavio Caruso

Re: Firefox TOT

<UGs*XZqqz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=104056&group=uk.d-i-y#104056

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 15 Sep 2023 11:36:54 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Fri, 15 Sep 2023 10:36 UTC

Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:
> mm0fmf wrote:
>
> > My preferred alternative is Brave. Chrome with less tracking.
>
> But with added adverts?

Only if you enable their own adverts (which are hopeless). Otherwise it's
ad free - including on Youtube videos.

Theo

Re: Firefox TOT

<21890ba2-8258-4a61-9d28-60033c9412e8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=104058&group=uk.d-i-y#104058

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2023 03:50:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: ward...@gmail.com (Jonathan)
 by: Jonathan - Fri, 15 Sep 2023 10:50 UTC

On Thursday, 14 September 2023 at 15:23:40 UTC+1, Adrian wrote:
> In message <73b59daa-6710-4187...@googlegroups.com>,
> Jonathan <war...@gmail.com> writes
> >I have been using Firefox as my browser fo many years, partly because I
> >like it and partly because it's not owned by MS or Google.
> >
> >In the past few months I have increasingly come across sites that don't
> >work on Fireox; e.g. OVO, the Times, and Easyjet, so I have to copy the
> >link to a different brwoser to make it work.
> >
> >Is this the end of Firefox, or can I do something to make it work?
> >
> I run FF on a W10/64 PC with a number of plugins, and FF on a W10/32
> Virtual Machine with no plugins enabled. There are some sites which
> will not play nicely with the plugins on, but are happy with the plugin
> less browser. Invariably the latest version of FF in each case. My
> suspicion is that there is something hidden with the plugins that messes
> certain things up. Not sure if this helps, but it might be worth
> thinking about.

I have a couple of ad blockers and a Norton safe site tool. I haven't tried disabling them to see what happens.

Jonathan

Re: Firefox TOT

<650441a5.16779125@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=104066&group=uk.d-i-y#104066

From: nos...@please.invalid (AnthonyL)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2023 11:39:08 GMT
 by: AnthonyL - Fri, 15 Sep 2023 11:39 UTC

On Thu, 14 Sep 2023 14:56:48 +0000, Peter Able <stuck@home.com> wrote:

>On 14/09/2023 14:00, Jonathan wrote:
>> I have been using Firefox as my browser fo many years, partly because I like it and partly because it's not owned by MS or Google.
>>
>> In the past few months I have increasingly come across sites that don't work on Fireox; e.g. OVO, the Times, and Easyjet, so I have to copy the link to a different brwoser to make it work.
>>
>> Is this the end of Firefox, or can I do something to make it work?
>>
>> Many thanks,
>>
>> Jonathan
>
>Add to that list National Savings and Investments and Octopus Energy.

What bit of National Savings doesn't work. I have Firefox + uBlock
Origin on Win10 and apart from my two premium bonds I just set up
their Income Bond last Friday. The only issue being that they had my
phone number in the format +44 07xxx so I had to phone them and it
now reads +44 7xxx which enabled me to receive the verification code.

--
AnthonyL

Why ever wait to finish a job before starting the next?

Re: Firefox TOT

<650442aa.17040609@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=104068&group=uk.d-i-y#104068

From: nos...@please.invalid (AnthonyL)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2023 11:44:32 GMT
 by: AnthonyL - Fri, 15 Sep 2023 11:44 UTC

On Thu, 14 Sep 2023 18:31:49 +0100, Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk>
wrote:

>NY wrote:
>
>> My mum uses Firefox and she has found some websites which do not allow
>> creation of a user account - one is Ovo elec/gas meter site, another is
>> Barclays bank and a third is John Lewis credit card. The typical symptom
>> is that the site appears to allow an account to be created - supply your
>> email address and chosen password - but when you try to log in it gives
>> "bad username or password" errors.
>
>Is she using any form of password manager (firefox's inbuilt, or third
>party)? Sometimes I've known them to record the wrong field's contents.
>
>In general I don't find the majority of sites are anti-firefox, some
>sites don't like *my* cookie policy though ...

The investment platform I use has been "improving" the security of the
login procedure. I've used Firefox+uBlock Origin for years but this
time if I logged in and treid to do anything it just returned me to
the login screen. Edge was fine. I raised the issue and they
suggested to clear cookies, which I did and that worked on most things
(and all the things I needed).

I also run my wife's account on my computer and that had no issues at
all. The company said their systems run better on Edge and Chrome - I
responded that the better systems are not browser specific. Doubt
that will get through to anyone knowledgeable.