transfer, n.: A promotion you receive on the condition that you leave town.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: Firefox TOT

SubjectAuthor
* Firefox TOTJonathan
+* Re: Firefox TOTAdrian
|+- Re: Firefox TOTBrian Gaff
|`* Re: Firefox TOTJonathan
| `- Re: Firefox TOTDavid Wade
+* Re: Firefox TOTPeter Able
|+* Re: Firefox TOTNY
||+* Re: Firefox TOTcharles
|||`* Re: Firefox TOTNY
||| `- Re: Firefox TOTThe Natural Philosopher
||+* Re: Firefox TOTalan_m
|||`- Re: Firefox TOTThe Natural Philosopher
||+* Re: Firefox TOTAndy Burns
|||`* Re: Firefox TOTAnthonyL
||| `* Re: Firefox TOTJoe
|||  `- Re: Firefox TOTThe Natural Philosopher
||+- Re: Firefox TOTPaul
||`- Re: Firefox TOTThe Natural Philosopher
|+* Re: Firefox TOTalan_m
||`- Re: Firefox TOTThe Natural Philosopher
|+* Re: Firefox TOTAnthonyL
||`- Re: Firefox TOTPeter Able
|`- Re: Firefox TOTHarry Bloomfield Esq
+- Re: Firefox TOTAnother Dave
+* Re: Firefox TOTmm0fmf
|+* Re: Firefox TOTAndy Burns
||`* Re: Firefox TOTTheo
|| `* Re: Firefox TOTAndy Burns
||  `- Re: Firefox TOTTheo
|+* Re: Firefox TOTSH
||`- Re: Firefox TOTThe Natural Philosopher
|`- Re: Firefox TOTThe Natural Philosopher
+- Re: Firefox TOTBrian Gaff
`* Re: Firefox TOTOttavio Caruso
 `* Re: Firefox TOTDave W
  +- Re: Firefox TOTThe Natural Philosopher
  `- Re: Firefox TOTDavid Wade

Pages:12
Re: Firefox TOT

<kmiugoFomnuU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=104069&group=uk.d-i-y#104069

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Firefox TOT
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2023 12:46:33 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 15 Sep 2023 11:46 UTC

Theo wrote:

> Andy Burns wrote:
>
>> mm0fmf wrote:
>>
>>> My preferred alternative is Brave. Chrome with less tracking.
>>
>> But with added adverts?
>
> Only if you enable their own adverts (which are hopeless). Otherwise it's
> ad free - including on Youtube videos.

Oh, I though their schtick was to replace other people's adverts with
some they got revenue from, and pay the watcher a sliver of
crypto-currency? If it's not like that any more I might make them my
backup browser ...

Re: Firefox TOT

<ue1j57$38403$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=104071&group=uk.d-i-y#104071

From: me...@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2023 13:21:35 +0100
 by: NY - Fri, 15 Sep 2023 12:21 UTC

"charles" <charles@candehope.me.uk> wrote in message
> In article <udvacu$2m9d1$1@dont-email.me>, NY <me@privacy.invalid> wrote:
>> "Peter Able" <stuck@home.com> wrote in message

>> > Add to that list National Savings and Investments and Octopus Energy.
>> >
>> > B Annoying.
>
>> My mum uses Firefox and she has found some websites which do not allow
>> creation of a user account - one is Ovo elec/gas meter site, another is
>> Barclays bank and a third is John Lewis credit card. The typical symptom
>> is that the site appears to allow an account to be created - supply your
>> email address and chosen password - but when you try to log in it gives
>> "bad username or password" errors.
>
> I have no problem with JL and Firefox

Given that I have only reproduced this on my mum's installation of FF, and
not on the ones on my PCs, I'm inclined to suspect a duff installation or a
corrupted profile. I tried the obvious things like clearing all the caches,
but that didn't help. This is one of those annoying cases where it is easier
to work around the problem (by creating accounts using Google Chrome) than
it is to wipe the profile and/or reinstall FF, given all the saved logins
and bookmarks that need to be preserved.

Re: Firefox TOT

<ue1ldh$38gdn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=104076&group=uk.d-i-y#104076

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2023 14:15:29 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Fri, 15 Sep 2023 13:15 UTC

On 15/09/2023 13:21, NY wrote:
> This is one of those
> annoying cases where it is easier to work around the problem (by
> creating accounts using Google Chrome) than it is to wipe the profile
> and/or reinstall FF, given all the saved logins and bookmarks that need
> to be preserved.

Both can be exported to files
It is not too hard to do

--
Renewable energy: Expensive solutions that don't work to a problem that
doesn't exist instituted by self legalising protection rackets that

Re: Firefox TOT

<VGs*EErqz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=104079&group=uk.d-i-y#104079

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 15 Sep 2023 14:39:07 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Fri, 15 Sep 2023 13:39 UTC

Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:
> Theo wrote:
>
> > Andy Burns wrote:

> >> But with added adverts?
> >
> > Only if you enable their own adverts (which are hopeless). Otherwise it's
> > ad free - including on Youtube videos.
>
> Oh, I though their schtick was to replace other people's adverts with
> some they got revenue from, and pay the watcher a sliver of
> crypto-currency? If it's not like that any more I might make them my
> backup browser ...

No, they have an option where their ads appear as your OS notifications, and
in return for seeing them they pay you tokens which you can either cash out
or donate to 'creators' whose sites/videos/githubs/etc you use. The ads
in the UK are rubbish though - mostly for various crypto stuff - and the
return you get isn't large (cents not dollars).

I like the idea of the donating-to-creators-you-visit, but the
implementation isn't quite there. It is also crypto infested - rather than
just putting a few quid in the jar for your creators you have to effectively
set up a crypto bank account, which is a mix of banking KYC bureaucracy
and crypto shadiness.

But if you turn all this stuff off (the controls for which are prominent in
settings, and much of it is opt-in) it's just a regular browser, and the
ad/tracker blocking is pretty good.

Theo

Re: Firefox TOT

<20230915163917.15881d27@jrenewsid.jretrading.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=104087&group=uk.d-i-y#104087

From: joe...@jretrading.com (Joe)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2023 16:39:17 +0100
 by: Joe - Fri, 15 Sep 2023 15:39 UTC

On Fri, 15 Sep 2023 11:44:32 GMT
nospam@please.invalid (AnthonyL) wrote:

> The investment platform I use has been "improving" the security of the
> login procedure. I've used Firefox+uBlock Origin for years but this
> time if I logged in and treid to do anything it just returned me to
> the login screen. Edge was fine. I raised the issue and they
> suggested to clear cookies, which I did and that worked on most things
> (and all the things I needed).
>
> I also run my wife's account on my computer and that had no issues at
> all. The company said their systems run better on Edge and Chrome - I
> responded that the better systems are not browser specific. Doubt
> that will get through to anyone knowledgeable.

Sadly, web designers tend to check their work against, if we are lucky,
two browsers, one of them MS. The HTML 'standard' is anything but, and
that's without JavaScript.

--
Joe

Re: Firefox TOT

<ue1ups$3a7pg$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=104088&group=uk.d-i-y#104088

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2023 16:55:40 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Fri, 15 Sep 2023 15:55 UTC

On 15/09/2023 16:39, Joe wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Sep 2023 11:44:32 GMT
> nospam@please.invalid (AnthonyL) wrote:
>

>> The investment platform I use has been "improving" the security of the
>> login procedure. I've used Firefox+uBlock Origin for years but this
>> time if I logged in and treid to do anything it just returned me to
>> the login screen. Edge was fine. I raised the issue and they
>> suggested to clear cookies, which I did and that worked on most things
>> (and all the things I needed).
>>
>> I also run my wife's account on my computer and that had no issues at
>> all. The company said their systems run better on Edge and Chrome - I
>> responded that the better systems are not browser specific. Doubt
>> that will get through to anyone knowledgeable.
>>

> Sadly, web designers tend to check their work against, if we are lucky,
> two browsers, one of them MS. The HTML 'standard' is anything but, and
> that's without JavaScript.

Indeed.

I program on the 'bleeding edge' of CSS and HTML and it is a nightmare
really.
Some browsers have 'nothing below 10pt allowed' and unless you actually
load the font onto the server, the chances of them having anything
beyond Arial Courier and Times Roman is slim.

Want to specify some padding or margins? IE did it differently to FF.
Want to display a webm video? Forget it if you are on Apple.
I think You tube detects if you are apple and directs you to completely
different videos.

It is so bad that massive libraries of javascript and js now exist to
detect what browser you have and alter the code and html accordingly.

Unless you run on Linux, in which case it fails to to detect anything
and falls over and dies. Yes that's you, Barclays bank.

Re: Firefox TOT

<ue237u$3b6oc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=104089&group=uk.d-i-y#104089

From: g4u...@dave.invalid (David Wade)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2023 18:11:28 +0100
 by: David Wade - Fri, 15 Sep 2023 17:11 UTC

On 15/09/2023 11:50, Jonathan wrote:
> On Thursday, 14 September 2023 at 15:23:40 UTC+1, Adrian wrote:
>> In message <73b59daa-6710-4187...@googlegroups.com>,
>> Jonathan <war...@gmail.com> writes
>>> I have been using Firefox as my browser fo many years, partly because I
>>> like it and partly because it's not owned by MS or Google.
>>>
>>> In the past few months I have increasingly come across sites that don't
>>> work on Fireox; e.g. OVO, the Times, and Easyjet, so I have to copy the
>>> link to a different brwoser to make it work.
>>>
>>> Is this the end of Firefox, or can I do something to make it work?
>>>
>> I run FF on a W10/64 PC with a number of plugins, and FF on a W10/32
>> Virtual Machine with no plugins enabled. There are some sites which
>> will not play nicely with the plugins on, but are happy with the plugin
>> less browser. Invariably the latest version of FF in each case. My
>> suspicion is that there is something hidden with the plugins that messes
>> certain things up. Not sure if this helps, but it might be worth
>> thinking about.
>>
> I have a couple of ad blockers and a Norton safe site tool. I haven't tried disabling them to see what happens.
>
> Jonathan

I have just tried Easyjet, The Times and OVO. No issues. I suspect one
of your add-ins is causing the issues.

Dave

Re: Firefox TOT

<ue291a$3ca33$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=104091&group=uk.d-i-y#104091

From: stu...@home.com (Peter Able)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2023 18:50:18 +0000
 by: Peter Able - Fri, 15 Sep 2023 18:50 UTC

On 15/09/2023 11:39, AnthonyL wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Sep 2023 14:56:48 +0000, Peter Able <stuck@home.com> wrote:
>
>> On 14/09/2023 14:00, Jonathan wrote:
>>> I have been using Firefox as my browser fo many years, partly because I like it and partly because it's not owned by MS or Google.
>>>
>>> In the past few months I have increasingly come across sites that don't work on Fireox; e.g. OVO, the Times, and Easyjet, so I have to copy the link to a different brwoser to make it work.
>>>
>>> Is this the end of Firefox, or can I do something to make it work?
>>>
>>> Many thanks,
>>>
>>> Jonathan
>>
>> Add to that list National Savings and Investments and Octopus Energy.
>>

> What bit of National Savings doesn't work. I have Firefox + uBlock
> Origin on Win10 and apart from my two premium bonds I just set up
> their Income Bond last Friday. The only issue being that they had my
> phone number in the format +44 07xxx so I had to phone them and it
> now reads +44 7xxx which enabled me to receive the verification code.

IIRC, just trying to log in. Chrome is OK. Lubuntu.

PA

Re: Firefox TOT

<ue2b21$3ciqp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=104092&group=uk.d-i-y#104092

From: a...@harrym1byt.plus.com (Harry Bloomfield Esq)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2023 20:24:50 +0100
 by: Harry Bloomfield Esq - Fri, 15 Sep 2023 19:24 UTC

On 14/09/2023 15:56, Peter Able wrote:
> Octopus Energy.

Works fine on FF here!

Re: Firefox TOT

<d44cgit0irpf9dvlt48moi20kk5ko62e9q@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=104140&group=uk.d-i-y#104140

From: davew...@yahoo.co.uk (Dave W)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2023 21:31:55 +0100
 by: Dave W - Sat, 16 Sep 2023 20:31 UTC

On Fri, 15 Sep 2023 09:13:13 +0000, Ottavio Caruso
<ottavio2006-usenet2012@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Am 14/09/2023 um 14:00 schrieb Jonathan:
>> In the past few months I have increasingly come across sites that don't work on Fireox; e.g. OVO, the Times, and Easyjet, so I have to copy the link to a different brwoser to make it work.
>
>Changing the user agent string usually works for me.
>
>https://www.whatismybrowser.com/guides/how-to-change-your-user-agent/firefox
What is a User Agent and why would I want one?
--
Dave W

Re: Firefox TOT

<ue55i3$8pt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=104141&group=uk.d-i-y#104141

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2023 22:09:23 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Sat, 16 Sep 2023 21:09 UTC

On 16/09/2023 21:31, Dave W wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Sep 2023 09:13:13 +0000, Ottavio Caruso
> <ottavio2006-usenet2012@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Am 14/09/2023 um 14:00 schrieb Jonathan:
>>> In the past few months I have increasingly come across sites that don't work on Fireox; e.g. OVO, the Times, and Easyjet, so I have to copy the link to a different brwoser to make it work.
>>
>> Changing the user agent string usually works for me.
>>
>> https://www.whatismybrowser.com/guides/how-to-change-your-user-agent/firefox
>
> What is a User Agent and why would I want one?

The user agent is a piece of information the browser sends to the server
to say what make of broswer it is. Sometimes if you pretend to be
another sort of browser, the server is happier.

--
Labour - a bunch of rich people convincing poor people to vote for rich
people by telling poor people that "other" rich people are the reason

Peter Thompson

Re: Firefox TOT

<ue5d4a$1khu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=104147&group=uk.d-i-y#104147

From: g4u...@dave.invalid (David Wade)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2023 00:18:34 +0100
 by: David Wade - Sat, 16 Sep 2023 23:18 UTC

On 16/09/2023 21:31, Dave W wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Sep 2023 09:13:13 +0000, Ottavio Caruso
> <ottavio2006-usenet2012@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Am 14/09/2023 um 14:00 schrieb Jonathan:
>>> In the past few months I have increasingly come across sites that don't work on Fireox; e.g. OVO, the Times, and Easyjet, so I have to copy the link to a different brwoser to make it work.
>>
>> Changing the user agent string usually works for me.
>>
>> https://www.whatismybrowser.com/guides/how-to-change-your-user-agent/firefox
>
> What is a User Agent and why would I want one?

Its a string the browser passes back to the web server, that identifies
which browser is in use, so the server can adjusts its behaviour to
match the idiosyncratic quirks of each browser.

You always get one, you might want a different one to the default, i.e.
to tell the server you are not using Firefox.

D.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: Firefox TOT