Let us never negotiate out of fear, but let us never fear to negotiate. -- John F. Kennedy

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Vibrition on a wooden kitchen floor

SubjectAuthor
* Vibrition on a wooden kitchen floorBrian Gaff
+* Re: Vibrition on a wooden kitchen floorTricky Dicky
|+* Re: Vibrition on a wooden kitchen floorSH
||+- Re: Vibrition on a wooden kitchen floorSteveW
||`* Re: Vibrition on a wooden kitchen floorBrian Gaff
|| `* Re: Vibrition on a wooden kitchen floorAndrew
||  +- Re: Vibrition on a wooden kitchen floorThe Natural Philosopher
||  `* Re: Vibrition on a wooden kitchen floorRJH
||   `* Re: Vibrition on a wooden kitchen floorThe Natural Philosopher
||    `- Re: Vibrition on a wooden kitchen floorRJH
|+* Re: Vibrition on a wooden kitchen floorThe Natural Philosopher
||+- Re: Vibrition on a wooden kitchen floorSteveW
||`- Re: Vibrition on a wooden kitchen floorBrian Gaff
|+* Re: Vibrition on a wooden kitchen floorBrian
||`- Re: Vibrition on a wooden kitchen floorme9
|`- Re: Vibrition on a wooden kitchen floorBrian Gaff
+* Re: Vibrition on a wooden kitchen floorBob Eager
|`* Re: Vibrition on a wooden kitchen floorThe Natural Philosopher
| `* Re: Vibrition on a wooden kitchen floorS Viemeister
|  `- Re: Vibrition on a wooden kitchen floorBob Eager
+- Re: Vibrition on a wooden kitchen floorPaul
+- Re: Vibrition on a wooden kitchen flooruk.d-i-y
+* Re: Vibrition on a wooden kitchen flooruk.d-i-y
|`- Re: Vibrition on a wooden kitchen floorBrian Gaff
+- Re: Vibrition on a wooden kitchen floorjim.gm4dhj
+- Re: Vibrition on a wooden kitchen floorRJH
`* Re: Vibrition on a wooden kitchen floorClive Arthur
 `- Re: Vibrition on a wooden kitchen floorTim+

Pages:12
Vibrition on a wooden kitchen floor

<ue9545$1mr1a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=104298&group=uk.d-i-y#104298

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Vibrition on a wooden kitchen floor
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2023 10:26:28 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Mon, 18 Sep 2023 09:26 UTC

I was just wondering in this wonderful world of new materials if anyone who
has a washing machine has solved the intense vibration on a wooden floor
without resorting to pouring concrete? Its begging to vibrate the floor in
the next room now as well, and it does seem to be getting worse. The house
is circa 1939, and is just standard floorboards throughout, there is a deep
void underneath full of rubble, and the wall between the two rooms is not as
far as I can tell, sitting on much but some brick short pillars at the
bottom. I know when we had the house rewired some plaster fell off and
cracked in the next room, so its obviously weight that keeps things
together. Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Re: Vibrition on a wooden kitchen floor

<ue96b6$1n1rs$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=104300&group=uk.d-i-y#104300

From: tricky.d...@sky.com (Tricky Dicky)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Vibrition on a wooden kitchen floor
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2023 09:47:18 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:blM1eyo6vvkTuDsUrQ/sxmzueOQ=
 by: Tricky Dicky - Mon, 18 Sep 2023 09:47 UTC

Brian Gaff <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was just wondering in this wonderful world of new materials if anyone who
> has a washing machine has solved the intense vibration on a wooden floor
> without resorting to pouring concrete? Its begging to vibrate the floor in
> the next room now as well, and it does seem to be getting worse. The house
> is circa 1939, and is just standard floorboards throughout, there is a deep
> void underneath full of rubble, and the wall between the two rooms is not as
> far as I can tell, sitting on much but some brick short pillars at the
> bottom. I know when we had the house rewired some plaster fell off and
> cracked in the next room, so its obviously weight that keeps things
> together. Brian

If the vibrations from the WM are getting worse then it is probably the WM
that is wearing out. Could be a number of problems such as a worn main
bearing or worn main shaft or as happened to us once a broken damper.

Richard

Re: Vibrition on a wooden kitchen floor

<ue96rt$1chon$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=104302&group=uk.d-i-y#104302

From: i.l...@spam.com (SH)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2023 10:56:13 +0100
 by: SH - Mon, 18 Sep 2023 09:56 UTC

On 18/09/2023 10:47, Tricky Dicky wrote:
> Brian Gaff <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I was just wondering in this wonderful world of new materials if anyone who
>> has a washing machine has solved the intense vibration on a wooden floor
>> without resorting to pouring concrete? Its begging to vibrate the floor in
>> the next room now as well, and it does seem to be getting worse. The house
>> is circa 1939, and is just standard floorboards throughout, there is a deep
>> void underneath full of rubble, and the wall between the two rooms is not as
>> far as I can tell, sitting on much but some brick short pillars at the
>> bottom. I know when we had the house rewired some plaster fell off and
>> cracked in the next room, so its obviously weight that keeps things
>> together. Brian
>>
> If the vibrations from the WM are getting worse then it is probably the WM
> that is wearing out. Could be a number of problems such as a worn main
> bearing or worn main shaft or as happened to us once a broken damper.
>
> Richard

replacing the WM with a direct drive WM will mean a lot less noise and
vibration.

In Direct drive, there is no belt and pulleys, the motor is on the back
of the drum.....

S.

Re: Vibrition on a wooden kitchen floor

<ue97uj$1n8d4$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=104307&group=uk.d-i-y#104307

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2023 11:14:43 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Mon, 18 Sep 2023 10:14 UTC

On 18/09/2023 10:47, Tricky Dicky wrote:
> Brian Gaff <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I was just wondering in this wonderful world of new materials if anyone who
>> has a washing machine has solved the intense vibration on a wooden floor
>> without resorting to pouring concrete? Its begging to vibrate the floor in
>> the next room now as well, and it does seem to be getting worse. The house
>> is circa 1939, and is just standard floorboards throughout, there is a deep
>> void underneath full of rubble, and the wall between the two rooms is not as
>> far as I can tell, sitting on much but some brick short pillars at the
>> bottom. I know when we had the house rewired some plaster fell off and
>> cracked in the next room, so its obviously weight that keeps things
>> together. Brian
>>
> If the vibrations from the WM are getting worse then it is probably the WM
> that is wearing out. Could be a number of problems such as a worn main
> bearing or worn main shaft or as happened to us once a broken damper.

Very few washing machines have a damper, Only a Miele IME

OTOH if a concrete block has fallen off the drum, that doesn't help.

But most vibration issues can be solved by decoupling. e.g. get a piece
of plywood and about 3" of hard foam rubber underneath and put the
washing machine on that.

--
There is nothing a fleet of dispatchable nuclear power plants cannot do
that cannot be done worse and more expensively and with higher carbon

Re: Vibrition on a wooden kitchen floor

<kmqp0jF8895U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=104311&group=uk.d-i-y#104311

From: news0...@eager.cx (Bob Eager)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 18 Sep 2023 11:01:39 GMT
 by: Bob Eager - Mon, 18 Sep 2023 11:01 UTC

On Mon, 18 Sep 2023 10:26:28 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

> I was just wondering in this wonderful world of new materials if anyone
> who has a washing machine has solved the intense vibration on a wooden
> floor without resorting to pouring concrete? Its begging to vibrate the
> floor in the next room now as well, and it does seem to be getting
> worse. The house is circa 1939, and is just standard floorboards
> throughout, there is a deep void underneath full of rubble, and the wall
> between the two rooms is not as far as I can tell, sitting on much but
> some brick short pillars at the bottom. I know when we had the house
> rewired some plaster fell off and cracked in the next room, so its
> obviously weight that keeps things together. Brian

Have you tried something as simple as anti-vibration pads? They work quite
well on the portable air conditioner.

Re: Vibrition on a wooden kitchen floor

<ue9f2i$1ollg$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=104317&group=uk.d-i-y#104317

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2023 13:16:18 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Mon, 18 Sep 2023 12:16 UTC

On 18/09/2023 12:01, Bob Eager wrote:
> Have you tried something as simple as anti-vibration pads?

Do such things exist these days?

its shoes.

Re: Vibrition on a wooden kitchen floor

<ue9fto$1osd4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=104318&group=uk.d-i-y#104318

From: ste...@walker-family.me.uk (SteveW)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2023 13:30:46 +0100
 by: SteveW - Mon, 18 Sep 2023 12:30 UTC

On 18/09/2023 10:56, SH wrote:
> On 18/09/2023 10:47, Tricky Dicky wrote:
>> Brian Gaff <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I was just wondering in this wonderful world of new materials if
>>> anyone who
>>> has a washing machine has solved the intense vibration on a wooden floor
>>> without resorting to pouring concrete? Its begging to vibrate the
>>> floor in
>>> the next room now as well, and it does seem to be getting worse. The
>>> house
>>> is circa 1939, and is just standard floorboards throughout, there is
>>> a deep
>>> void underneath full of rubble, and the wall between the two rooms is
>>> not as
>>> far as I can tell, sitting on much but some brick short pillars at the
>>> bottom. I know when we  had the house rewired some plaster fell off and
>>> cracked in the next room, so its obviously weight that keeps things
>>> together. Brian
>>>
>> If the vibrations from the WM are getting worse then it is probably
>> the WM
>> that is wearing out. Could be a number of problems such as a worn main
>> bearing or worn main shaft or as happened to us once a broken damper.
>>
>> Richard
>

> replacing the WM with a direct drive WM will mean a lot less noise and
> vibration.
>
> In Direct drive, there is no belt and pulleys, the motor is on the back
> of the drum.....

Yes. We went from having to pause the TV when the washing machine was
spinning, despite the kitchen door being closed, to not usually noticing
when the new one spins, even with the door open.

Re: Vibrition on a wooden kitchen floor

<ue9g0j$1osd4$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=104319&group=uk.d-i-y#104319

From: ste...@walker-family.me.uk (SteveW)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2023 13:32:17 +0100
 by: SteveW - Mon, 18 Sep 2023 12:32 UTC

> On 18/09/2023 10:47, Tricky Dicky wrote:
>> Brian Gaff <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I was just wondering in this wonderful world of new materials if
>>> anyone who
>>> has a washing machine has solved the intense vibration on a wooden floor
>>> without resorting to pouring concrete? Its begging to vibrate the
>>> floor in
>>> the next room now as well, and it does seem to be getting worse. The
>>> house
>>> is circa 1939, and is just standard floorboards throughout, there is
>>> a deep
>>> void underneath full of rubble, and the wall between the two rooms is
>>> not as
>>> far as I can tell, sitting on much but some brick short pillars at the
>>> bottom. I know when we  had the house rewired some plaster fell off and
>>> cracked in the next room, so its obviously weight that keeps things
>>> together. Brian
>>>
>> If the vibrations from the WM are getting worse then it is probably
>> the WM
>> that is wearing out. Could be a number of problems such as a worn main
>> bearing or worn main shaft or as happened to us once a broken damper.
>>
> Very few washing machines have a damper, Only a Miele IME
>
> OTOH if a concrete block has fallen off the drum, that doesn't help.
>
> But most vibration issues can be solved by decoupling. e.g. get a piece
> of plywood and about 3" of hard foam rubber underneath and put the
> washing machine on that.

However, it won't then fit under the worktop. Such a solution would
generally need to be cut into the floor to retain the correct height.

Re: Vibrition on a wooden kitchen floor

<ue9hnb$1p85r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=104329&group=uk.d-i-y#104329

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2023 09:01:29 -0400
 by: Paul - Mon, 18 Sep 2023 13:01 UTC

On 9/18/2023 5:26 AM, Brian Gaff wrote:
> I was just wondering in this wonderful world of new materials if anyone who
> has a washing machine has solved the intense vibration on a wooden floor
> without resorting to pouring concrete? Its begging to vibrate the floor in
> the next room now as well, and it does seem to be getting worse. The house
> is circa 1939, and is just standard floorboards throughout, there is a deep
> void underneath full of rubble, and the wall between the two rooms is not as
> far as I can tell, sitting on much but some brick short pillars at the
> bottom. I know when we had the house rewired some plaster fell off and
> cracked in the next room, so its obviously weight that keeps things
> together. Brian

Doesn't this sound "structural" to you ?

One test you can do for fun, is take a long spirit level, and
check the "bubble" on each floor in the house. Then, consider what
the "bubble" results are telling you, about foundation support
underneath the house. Say, for example, all the bubbles pointed
downwards, towards the center of the house. That means the post
holding the center of the house up, isn't in contact with the ground.

You can move the washing machine closer to a load-bearing wall...
assuming the wall is still load-bearing of course. It will still
be noisy, but the floor should not become "excited" quite as much.

Having lived in a plaster-finished house as a kid, I can tell
you the plaster tells you stuff. Normal house settling will
cause cracks to form. But, the plaster doesn't fall off.

When plaster falls off, that hints that extreme stress is
involved (or, the person who did the plaster is not very clever).
Maybe the room is distorted, corners are no longer at 90 degrees
and so on.

You have to use your seven senses, when working with houses.
All the evidence, adds up to something.

Paul

Re: Vibrition on a wooden kitchen floor

<kmr0v9F33ptU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=104331&group=uk.d-i-y#104331

From: firstn...@lastname.oc.ku (S Viemeister)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2023 14:17:29 +0100
 by: S Viemeister - Mon, 18 Sep 2023 13:17 UTC

> On 18/09/2023 12:01, Bob Eager wrote:
>> Have you tried something as simple as anti-vibration pads?
>
> Do such things exist these days?

They did, 4 or 5 years ago. I found them on Amazon.

Re: Vibrition on a wooden kitchen floor

<kmrgb2F8895U4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=104352&group=uk.d-i-y#104352

From: news0...@eager.cx (Bob Eager)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 18 Sep 2023 17:39:46 GMT
 by: Bob Eager - Mon, 18 Sep 2023 17:39 UTC

On Mon, 18 Sep 2023 14:17:29 +0100, S Viemeister wrote:

> On 18/09/2023 13:16, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>> On 18/09/2023 12:01, Bob Eager wrote:
>>> Have you tried something as simple as anti-vibration pads?
>>
>> Do such things exist these days?
>>

> They did, 4 or 5 years ago. I found them on Amazon.

I bought mine last July.

Re: Vibrition on a wooden kitchen floor

<5adb1521-9173-4400-a77a-1d570338c62fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=104367&group=uk.d-i-y#104367

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2023 18:40:50 -0700 (PDT)
From: tabbyp...@gmail.com (uk.d-i-y)
 by: uk.d-i-y - Tue, 19 Sep 2023 01:40 UTC

On Monday, 18 September 2023 at 10:26:36 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
> I was just wondering in this wonderful world of new materials if anyone who
> has a washing machine has solved the intense vibration on a wooden floor
> without resorting to pouring concrete? Its begging to vibrate the floor in
> the next room now as well, and it does seem to be getting worse. The house
> is circa 1939, and is just standard floorboards throughout, there is a deep
> void underneath full of rubble, and the wall between the two rooms is not as
> far as I can tell, sitting on much but some brick short pillars at the
> bottom. I know when we had the house rewired some plaster fell off and
> cracked in the next room, so its obviously weight that keeps things
> together. Brian

Get some support under the wood floor where the wm goes. Reducing spin speed might help. Also the dampers do wear out over time, if it's old it might benefit from added friction on the suspension. Not overloading the machine also helps.

Re: Vibrition on a wooden kitchen floor

<uebf53$27q8d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=104368&group=uk.d-i-y#104368

From: noi...@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2023 06:29:55 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:Kb7kjBqrh0sJDxeQc/T5vKDnpHM=
 by: Brian - Tue, 19 Sep 2023 06:29 UTC

Tricky Dicky <tricky.dicky@sky.com> wrote:
> Brian Gaff <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I was just wondering in this wonderful world of new materials if anyone who
>> has a washing machine has solved the intense vibration on a wooden floor
>> without resorting to pouring concrete? Its begging to vibrate the floor in
>> the next room now as well, and it does seem to be getting worse. The house
>> is circa 1939, and is just standard floorboards throughout, there is a deep
>> void underneath full of rubble, and the wall between the two rooms is not as
>> far as I can tell, sitting on much but some brick short pillars at the
>> bottom. I know when we had the house rewired some plaster fell off and
>> cracked in the next room, so its obviously weight that keeps things
>> together. Brian
>>
> If the vibrations from the WM are getting worse then it is probably the WM
> that is wearing out. Could be a number of problems such as a worn main
> bearing or worn main shaft or as happened to us once a broken damper.
>
> Richard

That would be my thoughts, especially if it is getting worse.

Other than the bearings, some (all?) machines have weights which are bolted
to the chassis etc. If the bolts are no longer done up tight….

Re: Vibrition on a wooden kitchen floor

<b59eb290-0cf8-4360-9a97-ac1265115947n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=104371&group=uk.d-i-y#104371

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2023 00:27:14 -0700 (PDT)
From: johnjess...@gmail.com (uk.d-i-y)
 by: uk.d-i-y - Tue, 19 Sep 2023 07:27 UTC

On Monday, 18 September 2023 at 10:26:36 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
> I was just wondering in this wonderful world of new materials if anyone who
> has a washing machine has solved the intense vibration on a wooden floor
> without resorting to pouring concrete? Its begging to vibrate the floor in
> the next room now as well, and it does seem to be getting worse. The house
> is circa 1939, and is just standard floorboards throughout, there is a deep
> void underneath full of rubble, and the wall between the two rooms is not as
> far as I can tell, sitting on much but some brick short pillars at the
> bottom. I know when we had the house rewired some plaster fell off and
> cracked in the next room, so its obviously weight that keeps things
> together. Brian
>
> --
>
> --:
> This newsgroup posting comes to you directly from...
> The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
> bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
> Blind user, so no pictures please
> Note this Signature is meaningless.!
Skip the intermediate stages and go immediately to mass concrete. For added improvement add tuned dampers to the drum

Re: Vibrition on a wooden kitchen floor

<uebik5$288h6$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=104372&group=uk.d-i-y#104372

From: kinvig.n...@ntlworld.com (jim.gm4dhj)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2023 08:29:09 +0100
 by: jim.gm4dhj - Tue, 19 Sep 2023 07:29 UTC

On 18/09/2023 10:26, Brian Gaff wrote:
> I was just wondering in this wonderful world of new materials if anyone who
> has a washing machine has solved the intense vibration on a wooden floor
> without resorting to pouring concrete? Its begging to vibrate the floor in
> the next room now as well, and it does seem to be getting worse. The house
> is circa 1939, and is just standard floorboards throughout, there is a deep
> void underneath full of rubble, and the wall between the two rooms is not as
> far as I can tell, sitting on much but some brick short pillars at the
> bottom. I know when we had the house rewired some plaster fell off and
> cracked in the next room, so its obviously weight that keeps things
> together. Brian

get a new machine ... I had a punter who wedged his out of balance
machine under a worktop and nearly demolished a tenement...

Re: Vibrition on a wooden kitchen floor

<uech3e$2e2ak$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=104413&group=uk.d-i-y#104413

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2023 17:09:16 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Tue, 19 Sep 2023 16:09 UTC

Well its done it since new,but seems to be worse, I assumed because of the
flexing. Its not banging internally and the rotating of the drum is smooth
and you can hear it turning the muter as you move it, but I had not thought
of some of the dampers perhaps dampening less, I have to say, its a heavy
Panasonic. The reason I like to keep it is it has no touch screen which many
more modern designs have and are hence inaccessible to blind users. Some do
interface with the Amazon Echo, but it does seem like a sledgehammer to
crack a nu nut when it could all be done on two click knobs and a button. I
sometimes feel designers are justifying their existence by over designing
things.
Brian

--

--:
"Tricky Dicky" <tricky.dicky@sky.com> wrote in message
> Brian Gaff <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I was just wondering in this wonderful world of new materials if anyone
>> who
>> has a washing machine has solved the intense vibration on a wooden floor
>> without resorting to pouring concrete? Its begging to vibrate the floor
>> in
>> the next room now as well, and it does seem to be getting worse. The
>> house
>> is circa 1939, and is just standard floorboards throughout, there is a
>> deep
>> void underneath full of rubble, and the wall between the two rooms is not
>> as
>> far as I can tell, sitting on much but some brick short pillars at the
>> bottom. I know when we had the house rewired some plaster fell off and
>> cracked in the next room, so its obviously weight that keeps things
>> together. Brian
>>
> If the vibrations from the WM are getting worse then it is probably the WM
> that is wearing out. Could be a number of problems such as a worn main
> bearing or worn main shaft or as happened to us once a broken damper.
>
> Richard

Re: Vibrition on a wooden kitchen floor

<uech9s$2e3di$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=104414&group=uk.d-i-y#104414

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2023 17:12:43 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Tue, 19 Sep 2023 16:12 UTC

Surely though it must get off centre if it is spinning fast? I notice that
what this one does is spins up to a point where it considers it safe, then
reverses a few times then tries again and gradually it gets to its full
speed, but it can take more time sometimes than others, depending on how
much its managed to bundle off centre I guess.

Brian

--

--:
"SH" <i.love@spam.com> wrote in message news:ue96rt$1chon$1@dont-email.me...
> On 18/09/2023 10:47, Tricky Dicky wrote:
>> Brian Gaff <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I was just wondering in this wonderful world of new materials if anyone
>>> who
>>> has a washing machine has solved the intense vibration on a wooden floor
>>> without resorting to pouring concrete? Its begging to vibrate the floor
>>> in
>>> the next room now as well, and it does seem to be getting worse. The
>>> house
>>> is circa 1939, and is just standard floorboards throughout, there is a
>>> deep
>>> void underneath full of rubble, and the wall between the two rooms is
>>> not as
>>> far as I can tell, sitting on much but some brick short pillars at the
>>> bottom. I know when we had the house rewired some plaster fell off and
>>> cracked in the next room, so its obviously weight that keeps things
>>> together. Brian
>>>
>> If the vibrations from the WM are getting worse then it is probably the
>> WM
>> that is wearing out. Could be a number of problems such as a worn main
>> bearing or worn main shaft or as happened to us once a broken damper.
>>
>> Richard
>

> replacing the WM with a direct drive WM will mean a lot less noise and
> vibration.
>
> In Direct drive, there is no belt and pulleys, the motor is on the back of
> the drum.....
>
> S.

Re: Vibrition on a wooden kitchen floor

<uechg9$2e4pj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=104415&group=uk.d-i-y#104415

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2023 17:16:08 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Tue, 19 Sep 2023 16:16 UTC

Yes good idea, might just have enough verticle wiggle room for that the next
time it has to come out to remove all the dead spiders.
Brian

--

--:
"The Natural Philosopher" <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> On 18/09/2023 10:47, Tricky Dicky wrote:
>> Brian Gaff <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I was just wondering in this wonderful world of new materials if anyone
>>> who
>>> has a washing machine has solved the intense vibration on a wooden floor
>>> without resorting to pouring concrete? Its begging to vibrate the floor
>>> in
>>> the next room now as well, and it does seem to be getting worse. The
>>> house
>>> is circa 1939, and is just standard floorboards throughout, there is a
>>> deep
>>> void underneath full of rubble, and the wall between the two rooms is
>>> not as
>>> far as I can tell, sitting on much but some brick short pillars at the
>>> bottom. I know when we had the house rewired some plaster fell off and
>>> cracked in the next room, so its obviously weight that keeps things
>>> together. Brian
>>>
>> If the vibrations from the WM are getting worse then it is probably the
>> WM
>> that is wearing out. Could be a number of problems such as a worn main
>> bearing or worn main shaft or as happened to us once a broken damper.
>>
> Very few washing machines have a damper, Only a Miele IME
>
> OTOH if a concrete block has fallen off the drum, that doesn't help.
>
> But most vibration issues can be solved by decoupling. e.g. get a piece of
> plywood and about 3" of hard foam rubber underneath and put the washing
> machine on that.
>

>> Richard
>
> --
> There is nothing a fleet of dispatchable nuclear power plants cannot do
> that cannot be done worse and more expensively and with higher carbon
> emissions and more adverse environmental impact by adding intermittent
> renewable energy.

Re: Vibrition on a wooden kitchen floor

<uechk8$2e5es$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=104416&group=uk.d-i-y#104416

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2023 17:18:15 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Tue, 19 Sep 2023 16:18 UTC

No won't do concrete, in case I want to move stuff about. I think at the
moment its going to be more smaller loads.
Brian

--

--:
"uk.d-i-y" <johnjessop46@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Monday, 18 September 2023 at 10:26:36 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
>> I was just wondering in this wonderful world of new materials if anyone
>> who
>> has a washing machine has solved the intense vibration on a wooden floor
>> without resorting to pouring concrete? Its begging to vibrate the floor
>> in
>> the next room now as well, and it does seem to be getting worse. The
>> house
>> is circa 1939, and is just standard floorboards throughout, there is a
>> deep
>> void underneath full of rubble, and the wall between the two rooms is not
>> as
>> far as I can tell, sitting on much but some brick short pillars at the
>> bottom. I know when we had the house rewired some plaster fell off and
>> cracked in the next room, so its obviously weight that keeps things
>> together. Brian
>>
>> --
>>
>> --:
>> This newsgroup posting comes to you directly from...
>> The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
>> bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
>> Blind user, so no pictures please
>> Note this Signature is meaningless.!
> Skip the intermediate stages and go immediately to mass concrete. For
> added improvement add tuned dampers to the drum

Re: Vibrition on a wooden kitchen floor

<mpro.s19euy007q0gi043s.me9@privacy.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=104437&group=uk.d-i-y#104437

From: me9...@privacy.net (me9)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 02:01:47 +0100
 by: me9 - Wed, 20 Sep 2023 01:01 UTC

Brian <noinv@lid.org> wrote:

> Other than the bearings, some (all?) machines have weights which are
> bolted to the chassis etc. If the bolts are no longer done up tight….

One of mine had concrete weights, which disintegrated into a pile of rubble
underneath. Replaced with lead (from a roof refurbishment) wwhich did a much
better job than the concrete ever did.

--
braind

Re: Vibrition on a wooden kitchen floor

<uee8t8$2rejh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=104448&group=uk.d-i-y#104448

From: patchmo...@gmx.com (RJH)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 08:01:44 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RJH - Wed, 20 Sep 2023 08:01 UTC

On 18 Sep 2023 at 10:26:28 BST, "Brian Gaff" wrote:

FWIW, I've just replaced the little shock absorbers in the bottom of range
Hotpoint that came with the house I've just moved into, and the vibration has
decreased significantly. If you can provide some extra support under long
floor joists that'll help too.

--
Cheers, Rob, Sheffield UK

Re: Vibrition on a wooden kitchen floor

<uefbcp$31uor$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=104497&group=uk.d-i-y#104497

From: Andrew...@btinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 18:50:16 +0100
 by: Andrew - Wed, 20 Sep 2023 17:50 UTC

Replace with a Miele (but you will soon find out if
woodworm has chomped your underfloor joists or baords
because it will vanish downwards). V heavy washing machines.

Andrew

On 19/09/2023 17:12, Brian Gaff wrote:
> Surely though it must get off centre if it is spinning fast? I notice that
> what this one does is spins up to a point where it considers it safe, then
> reverses a few times then tries again and gradually it gets to its full
> speed, but it can take more time sometimes than others, depending on how
> much its managed to bundle off centre I guess.
>
> Brian

Re: Vibrition on a wooden kitchen floor

<uegrvi$3ddtf$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=104525&group=uk.d-i-y#104525

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 08:39:30 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Thu, 21 Sep 2023 07:39 UTC

On 20/09/2023 18:50, Andrew wrote:
> Replace with a Miele (but you will soon find out if
> woodworm has chomped your underfloor joists or baords
> because it will vanish downwards). V heavy washing machines.

I bought a UK made one which is, like a Miele, extremely smooth

let them."

Re: Vibrition on a wooden kitchen floor

<uegtsv$3drpk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=104535&group=uk.d-i-y#104535

From: patchmo...@gmx.com (RJH)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 08:12:15 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RJH - Thu, 21 Sep 2023 08:12 UTC

On 20 Sep 2023 at 18:50:16 BST, Andrew wrote:

> Replace with a Miele (but you will soon find out if
> woodworm has chomped your underfloor joists or baords
> because it will vanish downwards). V heavy washing machines.

Where's the weight in them? Just another 20kg of concrete . . . ?

--
Cheers, Rob, Sheffield UK

Re: Vibrition on a wooden kitchen floor

<uegufs$3dugu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=104536&group=uk.d-i-y#104536

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 09:22:20 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Thu, 21 Sep 2023 08:22 UTC

On 21/09/2023 09:12, RJH wrote:
> On 20 Sep 2023 at 18:50:16 BST, Andrew wrote:
>
>> Replace with a Miele (but you will soon find out if
>> woodworm has chomped your underfloor joists or baords
>> because it will vanish downwards). V heavy washing machines.
>>

> Where's the weight in them? Just another 20kg of concrete . . . ?

And the rest. Heavy gauge steel, and SHOCK ABSORBERS on the drum

--
“Some people like to travel by train because it combines the slowness of
a car with the cramped public exposure of

Dennis Miller