A figure with curves always offers a lot of interesting angles.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / DIY dental tourism?

SubjectAuthor
* DIY dental tourism?Simon Ferrol
+* Re: DIY dental tourism?Peter Johnson
|+- Re: DIY dental tourism?N_Cook
|`- Re: DIY dental tourism?Brian Gaff
+- Re: DIY dental tourism?Another Dave
+* Re: DIY dental tourism?Pancho
|`* Re: DIY dental tourism?Max Demian
| `* Re: DIY dental tourism?Pancho
|  +- Re: DIY dental tourism?Andy Burns
|  +- Re: DIY dental tourism?alan_m
|  `* Re: DIY dental tourism?Pamela
|   `* Re: DIY dental tourism?alan_m
|    `- Re: DIY dental tourism?Pamela
+* Re: DIY dental tourism?Andy Burns
|`* Re: DIY dental tourism?alan_m
| `- Re: DIY dental tourism?Andy Burns
+- Re: DIY dental tourism?Brian
`* Re: DIY dental tourism?Andrew Gabriel
 +* Re: DIY dental tourism?Pancho
 |+* Re: DIY dental tourism?Andy Burns
 ||`* Re: DIY dental tourism?Tim Lamb
 || `* Re: DIY dental tourism?Pancho
 ||  `- Re: DIY dental tourism?Andrew Gabriel
 |`- Re: DIY dental tourism?SH
 +- Re: DIY dental tourism?nothanks
 `* Re: DIY dental tourism?Pamela
  `* Re: DIY dental tourism?Andrew Gabriel
   `* Re: DIY dental tourism?Pamela
    `- Re: DIY dental tourism?Chris Hogg

Pages:12
DIY dental tourism?

<ugjlo0$1h5ia$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=107103&group=uk.d-i-y#107103

From: simon.fe...@englandmail.com (Simon Ferrol)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: DIY dental tourism?
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2023 15:43:56 +0000
 by: Simon Ferrol - Mon, 16 Oct 2023 15:43 UTC

I kinda semi-urgently need two have two implants. Estimated cost in UK
is about £6k. I have been told that prices in Hungary, Poland and Turkey
are much lower and in many cases the quality is the same.

6k for me is a lot of money. How do I go about the dental tourism route?
Are there reliable websites to check for reviews?

SF

Re: DIY dental tourism?

<q4pqii1damfga4o869ip8qj327cijloe7q@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=107105&group=uk.d-i-y#107105

From: pet...@parksidewood.nospam (Peter Johnson)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: DIY dental tourism?
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2023 17:29:21 +0100
 by: Peter Johnson - Mon, 16 Oct 2023 16:29 UTC

On Mon, 16 Oct 2023 15:43:56 +0000, Simon Ferrol
<simon.ferrol@englandmail.com> wrote:

>I kinda semi-urgently need two have two implants. Estimated cost in UK
>is about £6k. I have been told that prices in Hungary, Poland and Turkey
>are much lower and in many cases the quality is the same.
>

>6k for me is a lot of money. How do I go about the dental tourism route?
>Are there reliable websites to check for reviews?

There are reports of UK denists complaining about fixing problems
following work done overseas. You could try using Google or similar.

Re: DIY dental tourism?

<ugjofk$1i3cd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=107107&group=uk.d-i-y#107107

From: dmars...@nospam.com (Another Dave)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2023 17:30:44 +0100
 by: Another Dave - Mon, 16 Oct 2023 16:30 UTC

On 16/10/2023 4:43 pm, Simon Ferrol wrote:
> I kinda semi-urgently need two have two implants. Estimated cost in UK
> is about £6k. I have been told that prices in Hungary, Poland and Turkey
> are much lower and in many cases the quality is the same.

Is the person who said you 'need' two implants the same person who
quoted £6k?

If so, ask another dentist before you go down the foreign route.

Another Dave

--
Change nospam to techie

Re: DIY dental tourism?

<ugjool$1edbv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=107108&group=uk.d-i-y#107108

From: Pancho.J...@proton.me (Pancho)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2023 17:35:34 +0100
 by: Pancho - Mon, 16 Oct 2023 16:35 UTC

On 16/10/2023 16:43, Simon Ferrol wrote:
> I kinda semi-urgently need two have two implants. Estimated cost in UK
> is about £6k. I have been told that prices in Hungary, Poland and Turkey
> are much lower and in many cases the quality is the same.
>

> 6k for me is a lot of money. How do I go about the dental tourism route?
> Are there reliable websites to check for reviews?
>
> SF

I had a friend who had the whole set done in Turkey very cheaply, from
memory not much more than 6K, they are massively too white, but apart
from that seem OK.

Re: DIY dental tourism?

<kp58jeFouc7U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=107110&group=uk.d-i-y#107110

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2023 18:01:34 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 16 Oct 2023 17:01 UTC

Simon Ferrol wrote:

> I kinda semi-urgently need two have two implants. Estimated cost in UK
> is about £6k. I have been told that prices in Hungary, Poland and Turkey
> are much lower and in many cases the quality is the same.

I had two implant and several crowns fitted in 2005, the dentist (Dr Dr
Atilla Karman) teaches implant fitting internationally, I notice he/they
now have an office in London.

Until earlier this year I hadn't had any issues with the crowns, after
18 years one of them came loose a few months ago and was "glued" back on
by my dentist here.

You may need two or more visits, if the bone isn't strong enough to bear
teeth straight away.

<https://www.implantcenter.hu>

Re: DIY dental tourism?

<ugjql0$1iltb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=107111&group=uk.d-i-y#107111

From: noi...@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2023 17:07:44 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:3QqGhBO+Zkz+ySr8AqDIz3m/SRo=
 by: Brian - Mon, 16 Oct 2023 17:07 UTC

Simon Ferrol <simon.ferrol@englandmail.com> wrote:
> I kinda semi-urgently need two have two implants. Estimated cost in UK
> is about £6k. I have been told that prices in Hungary, Poland and Turkey
> are much lower and in many cases the quality is the same.
>

> 6k for me is a lot of money. How do I go about the dental tourism route?
> Are there reliable websites to check for reviews?
>
> SF

You could try France.

I needed some treatment several years back, not major, but I was shocked
how cheap it was. They refused my EHIC card ( pre Brexit before anyone
mentions it). The cost was so modest I didn’t even both claiming on my
travel insurance.

Plus, I got an appt the next day, on a Sat morning.

Re: DIY dental tourism?

<kp59npFp3nqU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=107112&group=uk.d-i-y#107112

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2023 18:20:57 +0100
 by: alan_m - Mon, 16 Oct 2023 17:20 UTC

On 16/10/2023 18:01, Andy Burns wrote:
> Simon Ferrol wrote:
>
>> I kinda semi-urgently need two have two implants. Estimated cost in UK
>> is about £6k. I have been told that prices in Hungary, Poland and
>> Turkey are much lower and in many cases the quality is the same.
>
> I had two implant and several crowns fitted in 2005, the dentist (Dr Dr
> Atilla Karman) teaches implant fitting internationally, I notice he/they
> now have an office in London.
>
> Until earlier this year I hadn't had any issues with the crowns, after
> 18 years one of them came loose a few months ago and was "glued" back on
> by my dentist here.
>
> You may need two or more visits, if the bone isn't strong enough to bear
> teeth straight away.
>
> <https://www.implantcenter.hu>

Mr brother had his implants done in Turkey (started just before their
inflation rate hit around 85%). He had to make 3 visits but treated them
as two week holiday each time. The initial price for all visits was
honoured and he said for the dental work it was about 40% of the price
he was quoted in the UK. Add the cost of the flights and accommodation.
He was treated in a large facility that only catered for dental work,
mainly cosmetic.

His first visit resulted in a very bruised face as they had problems
removing a tooth that had brocken near the gum line.

Re: DIY dental tourism?

<kp5afhFouc7U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=107114&group=uk.d-i-y#107114

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2023 18:33:37 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 16 Oct 2023 17:33 UTC

alan_m wrote:

> Mr brother had his implants done in Turkey

Turkey seems to get a bad rep lately "turkey teeth" stories in the
tabloids, I didn't accept the "free" whitening treatment while I eas
there, and had the crowns made to match my off-white teeth.

> The initial price for all visits was honoured and he said for the dental
> work it was about 40% of the price he was quoted in the UK.

Mine was 1 million forints (the exchange rate then was 350 HUF to 1 GBP,
now it's closer to 450 HUF, not sure what's happened to their prices
since then, especially with opening a UK surgery)

> Add the cost of the flights and accommodation.
flights were 15p (plus taxes) at the time with Wizz Air, on first visit
the dentists provided an apartment, afterwards hotels were cheap, n.b.
it's bloody cold there in Winter.

Re: DIY dental tourism?

<ugjt0j$1j6uj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=107116&group=uk.d-i-y#107116

From: dive...@tcp.co.uk (N_Cook)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2023 18:48:15 +0100
 by: N_Cook - Mon, 16 Oct 2023 17:48 UTC

On 16/10/2023 17:29, Peter Johnson wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Oct 2023 15:43:56 +0000, Simon Ferrol
> <simon.ferrol@englandmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I kinda semi-urgently need two have two implants. Estimated cost in UK
>> is about £6k. I have been told that prices in Hungary, Poland and Turkey
>> are much lower and in many cases the quality is the same.
>>

>> 6k for me is a lot of money. How do I go about the dental tourism route?
>> Are there reliable websites to check for reviews?
>>

> There are reports of UK denists complaining about fixing problems
> following work done overseas. You could try using Google or similar.

For real DIYers it costs a few pence and just half an hour of time, if a
non-permanent "tooth" is acceptible.
Starting with a translucent hot-melt glue stick and kids crayons, white,
yellow, salmon, brown, grey in that order of amounts to colour match to
existing teeth. A small bit of chewing gum, not usually needed for a
single false tooth.
Non of the ridiculous farting about , and big bucks , for a totally
failed one in my case in the UK, and so never repeated, one bitten twice shy

--
Global sea level rise to 2100 from curve-fitted existing altimetry data
<http://diverse.4mg.com/slr.htm>

Re: DIY dental tourism?

<ugkgf4$2gpcb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=107131&group=uk.d-i-y#107131

From: and...@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 00:20:03 +0100
 by: Andrew Gabriel - Mon, 16 Oct 2023 23:20 UTC

On 16/10/2023 16:43, Simon Ferrol wrote:
> I kinda semi-urgently need two have two implants. Estimated cost in UK
> is about £6k. I have been told that prices in Hungary, Poland and Turkey
> are much lower and in many cases the quality is the same.
>

> 6k for me is a lot of money. How do I go about the dental tourism route?
> Are there reliable websites to check for reviews?

That price seems high, even with inflation. It was around £2.5k per
tooth including extraction, or £4.5k for a joined pair 18 months ago at
my dentist, and that was a very comprehensive procedure with many visits
including fitting temporary acrylic tops to see how you like the fit and
shape for a few months and how well you're cleaning them before the
ceramic ones were milled and fitted. It wasn't the 6 hours and it's all
done type job.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Re: DIY dental tourism?

<uglcoi$2qm6g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=107138&group=uk.d-i-y#107138

From: Pancho.J...@proton.me (Pancho)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 08:22:58 +0100
 by: Pancho - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 07:22 UTC

On 17/10/2023 00:20, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
> On 16/10/2023 16:43, Simon Ferrol wrote:
>> I kinda semi-urgently need two have two implants. Estimated cost in UK
>> is about £6k. I have been told that prices in Hungary, Poland and
>> Turkey are much lower and in many cases the quality is the same.
>>

>> 6k for me is a lot of money. How do I go about the dental tourism
>> route? Are there reliable websites to check for reviews?
>
> That price seems high, even with inflation. It was around £2.5k per
> tooth including extraction, or £4.5k for a joined pair 18 months ago at
> my dentist, and that was a very comprehensive procedure with many visits
> including fitting temporary acrylic tops to see how you like the fit and
> shape for a few months and how well you're cleaning them before the
> ceramic ones were milled and fitted. It wasn't the 6 hours and it's all
> done type job.

I had a molar done just before Covid-19, it was about 3k, including £400
for genetically altered pig bone. Which was required to pack the hole
the NHS dentist had made pulling the old tooth out (I hope never to hear
a dentist say stubborn again).

Re: DIY dental tourism?

<kp6refF31c6U3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=107142&group=uk.d-i-y#107142

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 08:29:20 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 07:29 UTC

Pancho wrote:

> £400 for genetically altered pig bone.

I needed a bone graft for one of my implants, no extra charge, followed
by a 6 month wait for the crown to be fitted, strange feeling having
your jaw bashed with a stainless steel hammer and chisel, I was told it
was cow bone, but it doesn't seem to have done me any harmooo.

Re: DIY dental tourism?

<kp6tvoF3qpjU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=107145&group=uk.d-i-y#107145

From: notha...@aolbin.com
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 09:12:40 +0100
 by: notha...@aolbin.com - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 08:12 UTC

On 17/10/2023 00:20, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
> On 16/10/2023 16:43, Simon Ferrol wrote:
>> I kinda semi-urgently need two have two implants. Estimated cost in UK
>> is about £6k. I have been told that prices in Hungary, Poland and
>> Turkey are much lower and in many cases the quality is the same.
>>

>> 6k for me is a lot of money. How do I go about the dental tourism
>> route? Are there reliable websites to check for reviews?
>
> That price seems high, even with inflation. It was around £2.5k per
> tooth including extraction, or £4.5k for a joined pair 18 months ago at
> my dentist, and that was a very comprehensive procedure with many visits
> including fitting temporary acrylic tops to see how you like the fit and
> shape for a few months and how well you're cleaning them before the
> ceramic ones were milled and fitted. It wasn't the 6 hours and it's all
> done type job.

That's interesting.
Which part of the country was it?
By "my dentist" do you mean the company "My Dentist"?

Re: DIY dental tourism?

<iOi$UeezIlLlFwjp@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=107154&group=uk.d-i-y#107154

From: tim...@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk (Tim Lamb)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 10:21:55 +0100
 by: Tim Lamb - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 09:21 UTC

In message <kp6refF31c6U3@mid.individual.net>, Andy Burns
<usenet@andyburns.uk> writes
>Pancho wrote:
>
>> £400 for genetically altered pig bone.
>
>I needed a bone graft for one of my implants, no extra charge, followed
>by a 6 month wait for the crown to be fitted, strange feeling having
>your jaw bashed with a stainless steel hammer and chisel, I was told it
>was cow bone, but it doesn't seem to have done me any harmooo.
My wife has several implants. To fill an existing hole they took bone
from further along her jaw. Wait of several weeks for this to settle
down before the actual implants. Finchley Road, North London but a while
back now.

--
Tim Lamb

Re: DIY dental tourism?

<ugllut$2t0c0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=107157&group=uk.d-i-y#107157

From: i.l...@spam.com (SH)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 10:59:56 +0100
 by: SH - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 09:59 UTC

On 17/10/2023 08:22, Pancho wrote:
> On 17/10/2023 00:20, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
>> On 16/10/2023 16:43, Simon Ferrol wrote:
>>> I kinda semi-urgently need two have two implants. Estimated cost in
>>> UK is about £6k. I have been told that prices in Hungary, Poland and
>>> Turkey are much lower and in many cases the quality is the same.
>>>

>>> 6k for me is a lot of money. How do I go about the dental tourism
>>> route? Are there reliable websites to check for reviews?
>>
>> That price seems high, even with inflation. It was around £2.5k per
>> tooth including extraction, or £4.5k for a joined pair 18 months ago
>> at my dentist, and that was a very comprehensive procedure with many
>> visits including fitting temporary acrylic tops to see how you like
>> the fit and shape for a few months and how well you're cleaning them
>> before the ceramic ones were milled and fitted. It wasn't the 6 hours
>> and it's all done type job.
>>
> I had a molar done just before Covid-19, it was about 3k, including £400
> for genetically altered pig bone. Which was required to pack the hole
> the NHS dentist had made pulling the old tooth out (I hope never to hear
> a dentist say stubborn again).

sounds like a pig of a job then!

Re: DIY dental tourism?

<uglo5d$2tive$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=107159&group=uk.d-i-y#107159

From: Pancho.J...@proton.me (Pancho)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 11:37:33 +0100
 by: Pancho - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 10:37 UTC

On 17/10/2023 10:21, Tim Lamb wrote:
> In message <kp6refF31c6U3@mid.individual.net>, Andy Burns
> <usenet@andyburns.uk> writes
>> Pancho wrote:
>>
>>> £400 for genetically altered pig bone.
>>
>> I needed a bone graft for one of my implants, no extra charge,
>> followed by a 6 month wait for the crown to be fitted, strange feeling
>> having your jaw bashed with a stainless steel hammer and chisel, I was
>> told it was cow bone, but it doesn't seem to have done me any harmooo.
> My wife has several implants. To fill an existing hole they took bone
> from further along her jaw. Wait of several weeks for this to settle
> down before the actual implants. Finchley Road, North London but a while
> back now.

This was some specific process where the dentist mixed my DNA with some
pig bone, or pig something or other (maybe bone growth cells) in a fancy
machine. An alternative, some kind of calcium compound filler,
Polyfilla?, was offered for £150, and then not mentioned again. I was
suspicious, and it niggled me at the time, like all Victor Meldrew types
I will take the niggle to the grave.

I think they always leave about 6 months between putting the implant
foundation in, and fitting the post and crown.

Re: DIY dental tourism?

<uglr7o$2u3da$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=107161&group=uk.d-i-y#107161

From: max_dem...@bigfoot.com (Max Demian)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 12:30:02 +0100
 by: Max Demian - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 11:30 UTC

On 16/10/2023 17:35, Pancho wrote:
> On 16/10/2023 16:43, Simon Ferrol wrote:
>> I kinda semi-urgently need two have two implants. Estimated cost in UK
>> is about £6k. I have been told that prices in Hungary, Poland and
>> Turkey are much lower and in many cases the quality is the same.
>>

>> 6k for me is a lot of money. How do I go about the dental tourism
>> route? Are there reliable websites to check for reviews?

> I had a friend who had the whole set done in Turkey very cheaply, from
> memory not much more than 6K, they are massively too white, but apart
> from that seem OK.

I think they are around 20-25k for a full set top and bottom in the UK.
I wonder how much maintenance they require?

--
Max Demian

Re: DIY dental tourism?

<XnsB0A084D8CAF3E91F3A2@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=107162&group=uk.d-i-y#107162

From: pamela.p...@gmail.com (Pamela)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 13:03:33 +0100
 by: Pamela - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 12:03 UTC

On 00:20 17 Oct 2023, Andrew Gabriel said:
> On 16/10/2023 16:43, Simon Ferrol wrote:
>>
>> I kinda semi-urgently need two have two implants. Estimated cost in
>> UK is about �6k. I have been told that prices in Hungary, Poland
>> and Turkey are much lower and in many cases the quality is the same.
>>
>> 6k for me is a lot of money. How do I go about the dental tourism
>> route? Are there reliable websites to check for reviews?
>
> That price seems high, even with inflation. It was around �2.5k per
> tooth including extraction, or �4.5k for a joined pair 18 months ago
> at my dentist, and that was a very comprehensive procedure with many
> visits including fitting temporary acrylic tops to see how you like
> the fit and shape for a few months and how well you're cleaning them
> before the ceramic ones were milled and fitted. It wasn't the 6 hours
> and it's all done type job.

Those are the sort of prices my sister paid earlier this year for a
pair of implants. She made about six visits because the dentist, who
came highly recommended, wanted to proceed cautiously allowing any
reaction from each visit to settle down.

I am not sure the NHS would put right implants done abroad, as I
believeit doesn't provide implants at all.

Re: DIY dental tourism?

<ugm06f$2v7gu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=107165&group=uk.d-i-y#107165

From: Pancho.J...@proton.me (Pancho)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 13:54:39 +0100
 by: Pancho - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 12:54 UTC

On 17/10/2023 12:30, Max Demian wrote:
> On 16/10/2023 17:35, Pancho wrote:
>> On 16/10/2023 16:43, Simon Ferrol wrote:
>>> I kinda semi-urgently need two have two implants. Estimated cost in
>>> UK is about £6k. I have been told that prices in Hungary, Poland and
>>> Turkey are much lower and in many cases the quality is the same.
>>>

>>> 6k for me is a lot of money. How do I go about the dental tourism
>>> route? Are there reliable websites to check for reviews?
>
>> I had a friend who had the whole set done in Turkey very cheaply, from
>> memory not much more than 6K, they are massively too white, but apart
>> from that seem OK.
>
> I think they are around 20-25k for a full set top and bottom in the UK.
> I wonder how much maintenance they require?

I had my first implant 25 years ago. The crown has fallen off once, a
couple of years ago. Apart from that, no maintenance. I'm not sure if it
would be the same for a full set.

When the crown fell off, the dentist wanted to know the type of implant
I had, each type requires different tools. Which given I had it done 25
years ago, I didn't have a clue. The crown is held to the post mainly by
friction, every time it comes off the post becomes less effective, so at
some point it may need replacing. I don't know how I will identify the
type of the post, if that occurs. It seems irresponsible that details
are not stored somewhere.

Re: DIY dental tourism?

<kp7g3rF6i01U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=107168&group=uk.d-i-y#107168

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 14:22:04 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 13:22 UTC

Pancho wrote:

> I had my first implant 25 years ago. The crown has fallen off once, a
> couple of years ago.

When mine fell off, I put it back on and booked an urgent appointment,
kept expecting it to fall off again, but it didn't, in fact the dentist
couldn't got it off, sent me away, then of course it came off again the
next day, so I left it off and went back a day later for it to be
re-cemented ... thinking about it, the crown that fell off wasn't
directly on an implant, it was on a tooth ground down to a "peg".
> When the crown fell off, the dentist wanted to know the type of implant
> I had, each type requires different tools. Which given I had it done 25
> years ago, I didn't have a clue.

I have a little "passport" document stating implant types and dates
(camlog) and bone graft (bio-oss) I have it filed away.

> The crown is held to the post mainly by
> friction, every time it comes off the post becomes less effective, so at
> some point it may need replacing. I don't know how I will identify the
> type of the post, if that occurs. It seems irresponsible that details
> are not stored somewhere.

Re: DIY dental tourism?

<kp7kahF7mb8U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=107178&group=uk.d-i-y#107178

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 15:33:53 +0100
 by: alan_m - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 14:33 UTC

On 17/10/2023 13:54, Pancho wrote:

> When the crown fell off, the dentist wanted to know the type of implant
> I had, each type requires different tools. Which given I had it done 25
> years ago, I didn't have a clue. The crown is held to the post mainly by
> friction, every time it comes off the post becomes less effective, so at
> some point it may need replacing. I don't know how I will identify the
> type of the post, if that occurs. It seems irresponsible that details
> are not stored somewhere.

Any decent dentist would probably be able to determine that from an xray.

https://tinyurl.com/55urvtct

Although not implants, when I had a bridge and ceramic crowns (CEREC
crowns) not only was an xray of the teeth/gums taken but also a 3D
digital image of my mouth and teeth was created. The digital image was
upgraded after broken teeth were drilled out in preparation for the
crowns. I had 3 crowns made and fitted in a 2 hour appointment - which
included a 45 minute break to do some shopping whilst the crowns were
being milled/cut.

Re: DIY dental tourism?

<ugmdis$32n6i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=107195&group=uk.d-i-y#107195

From: and...@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 17:43:07 +0100
 by: Andrew Gabriel - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 16:43 UTC

On 17/10/2023 13:03, Pamela wrote:
> On 00:20 17 Oct 2023, Andrew Gabriel said:
>> On 16/10/2023 16:43, Simon Ferrol wrote:
>>>
>>> I kinda semi-urgently need two have two implants. Estimated cost in
>>> UK is about Ł6k. I have been told that prices in Hungary, Poland
>>> and Turkey are much lower and in many cases the quality is the same.
>>>
>>> 6k for me is a lot of money. How do I go about the dental tourism
>>> route? Are there reliable websites to check for reviews?
>>
>> That price seems high, even with inflation. It was around Ł2.5k per
>> tooth including extraction, or Ł4.5k for a joined pair 18 months ago
>> at my dentist, and that was a very comprehensive procedure with many
>> visits including fitting temporary acrylic tops to see how you like
>> the fit and shape for a few months and how well you're cleaning them
>> before the ceramic ones were milled and fitted. It wasn't the 6 hours
>> and it's all done type job.
>
> Those are the sort of prices my sister paid earlier this year for a
> pair of implants. She made about six visits because the dentist, who
> came highly recommended, wanted to proceed cautiously allowing any
> reaction from each visit to settle down.

Same here. I had an added complication that I didn't yet have my
Testosterone back after prostate cancer treatment, so we left it twice
as long as normal for bone to grow back after extraction and again after
implant before fitting any tops. (Lack of Testosterone in men causes
lack of oestrogens which causes osteoporosis - bone thinning, which is
not ideal when you are waiting for new bone to grow. My dentist went off
and searched research papers, but there was no research on having
implants in this situation, and only a little on having implants after
menopause which she used as guidance.) I was very pleased with mine, and
that she went off to do some extra research for my situation, and was
fine with doing it all with extra healing time.

We were expecting I might need some bone transplant, but I didn't - the
socket from the extracted root filled in nicely with bone by itself, and
then the post anchored in it nicely, but she did it all with plenty of
extra time between stages.

> I am not sure the NHS would put right implants done abroad, as I
> believeit doesn't provide implants at all.

They won't put them right. In an emergency, they will take them out, but
even then you'll likely have to wait for weeks on painkillers and
antibiotics if necessary for an emergency NHS clinic. They won't be
taken out with any view to refitting either.

Here's an appalling bit of dental tourism gone bad:
https://twitter.com/NileshRParmar/status/1562777234691092480

--
Andrew Gabriel

Re: DIY dental tourism?

<ugmdpg$32n6i$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=107196&group=uk.d-i-y#107196

From: and...@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 17:46:40 +0100
 by: Andrew Gabriel - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 16:46 UTC

On 17/10/2023 11:37, Pancho wrote:
> I think they always leave about 6 months between putting the implant
> foundation in, and fitting the post and crown.

There are companies offering the whole thing in one 6 hour visit. I've
no idea how they work and I do wonder if they last 6 hours after you've
come out.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Re: DIY dental tourism?

<ugmh88$33jb5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=107205&group=uk.d-i-y#107205

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 18:45:41 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 17:45 UTC

One is tempted to say, they would say that wouldn't they?
I'd imagine there are good and bad dentists everywhere. Also of course, no
medical procedure is without risk as we are always told just before the guy
with the drill starts!

Maybe one you fancy might be willing to let you speak to a customer
assuming he does not overdose on gdpr as we seem to over here.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Peter Johnson" <peter@parksidewood.nospam> wrote in message
> On Mon, 16 Oct 2023 15:43:56 +0000, Simon Ferrol
> <simon.ferrol@englandmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I kinda semi-urgently need two have two implants. Estimated cost in UK
>>is about �6k. I have been told that prices in Hungary, Poland and Turkey
>>are much lower and in many cases the quality is the same.
>>

>>6k for me is a lot of money. How do I go about the dental tourism route?
>>Are there reliable websites to check for reviews?
>>

> There are reports of UK denists complaining about fixing problems
> following work done overseas. You could try using Google or similar.

Re: DIY dental tourism?

<XnsB0A1830C7660B91F3A2@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=107275&group=uk.d-i-y#107275

From: pamela.p...@gmail.com (Pamela)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2023 12:52:57 +0100
 by: Pamela - Wed, 18 Oct 2023 11:52 UTC

On 17:43 17 Oct 2023, Andrew Gabriel said:
> On 17/10/2023 13:03, Pamela wrote:

>>> That price seems high, even with inflation. It was around Ł2.5k
>>> per tooth including extraction, or Ł4.5k for a joined pair 18
>>> months ago at my dentist, and that was a very comprehensive
>>> procedure with many visits including fitting temporary acrylic tops
>>> to see how you like the fit and shape for a few months and how well
>>> you're cleaning them before the ceramic ones were milled and
>>> fitted. It wasn't the 6 hours and it's all done type job.
>>
>> Those are the sort of prices my sister paid earlier this year for a
>> pair of implants. She made about six visits because the dentist, who
>> came highly recommended, wanted to proceed cautiously allowing any
>> reaction from each visit to settle down.
>
> Same here. I had an added complication that I didn't yet have my
> Testosterone back after prostate cancer treatment, so we left it
> twice as long as normal for bone to grow back after extraction and
> again after implant before fitting any tops. (Lack of Testosterone in
> men causes lack of oestrogens which causes osteoporosis - bone
> thinning, which is not ideal when you are waiting for new bone to
> grow. My dentist went off and searched research papers, but there was
> no research on having implants in this situation, and only a little
> on having implants after menopause which she used as guidance.) I was
> very pleased with mine, and that she went off to do some extra
> research for my situation, and was fine with doing it all with extra
> healing time.
>
> We were expecting I might need some bone transplant, but I didn't -
> the socket from the extracted root filled in nicely with bone by
> itself, and then the post anchored in it nicely, but she did it all
> with plenty of extra time between stages.
>
>> I am not sure the NHS would put right implants done abroad, as I
>> believeit doesn't provide implants at all.
>
> They won't put them right. In an emergency, they will take them out,
> but even then you'll likely have to wait for weeks on painkillers and
> antibiotics if necessary for an emergency NHS clinic. They won't be
> taken out with any view to refitting either.
>
> Here's an appalling bit of dental tourism gone bad:
> https://twitter.com/NileshRParmar/status/1562777234691092480

That is shocking, although rather appropriate for a DIY group.

Even worse, the screw was probably some metal that rusts over time.

I wonder which country that bodge was done in.