When you dial a wrong number you never get a busy signal.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: DIY dental tourism?

SubjectAuthor
* DIY dental tourism?Simon Ferrol
+* Re: DIY dental tourism?Peter Johnson
|+- Re: DIY dental tourism?N_Cook
|`- Re: DIY dental tourism?Brian Gaff
+- Re: DIY dental tourism?Another Dave
+* Re: DIY dental tourism?Pancho
|`* Re: DIY dental tourism?Max Demian
| `* Re: DIY dental tourism?Pancho
|  +- Re: DIY dental tourism?Andy Burns
|  +- Re: DIY dental tourism?alan_m
|  `* Re: DIY dental tourism?Pamela
|   `* Re: DIY dental tourism?alan_m
|    `- Re: DIY dental tourism?Pamela
+* Re: DIY dental tourism?Andy Burns
|`* Re: DIY dental tourism?alan_m
| `- Re: DIY dental tourism?Andy Burns
+- Re: DIY dental tourism?Brian
`* Re: DIY dental tourism?Andrew Gabriel
 +* Re: DIY dental tourism?Pancho
 |+* Re: DIY dental tourism?Andy Burns
 ||`* Re: DIY dental tourism?Tim Lamb
 || `* Re: DIY dental tourism?Pancho
 ||  `- Re: DIY dental tourism?Andrew Gabriel
 |`- Re: DIY dental tourism?SH
 +- Re: DIY dental tourism?nothanks
 `* Re: DIY dental tourism?Pamela
  `* Re: DIY dental tourism?Andrew Gabriel
   `* Re: DIY dental tourism?Pamela
    `- Re: DIY dental tourism?Chris Hogg

Pages:12
Re: DIY dental tourism?

<XnsB0A184A31BCD91F3A2@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=107277&group=uk.d-i-y#107277

From: pamela.p...@gmail.com (Pamela)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: DIY dental tourism?
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2023 13:02:19 +0100
 by: Pamela - Wed, 18 Oct 2023 12:02 UTC

On 13:54 17 Oct 2023, Pancho said:
> On 17/10/2023 12:30, Max Demian wrote:

>>> I had a friend who had the whole set done in Turkey very cheaply,
>>> from memory not much more than 6K, they are massively too white,
>>> but apart from that seem OK.
>>
>> I think they are around 20-25k for a full set top and bottom in the
>> UK. I wonder how much maintenance they require?
>>

> I had my first implant 25 years ago. The crown has fallen off once, a
> couple of years ago. Apart from that, no maintenance. I'm not sure if
> it would be the same for a full set.
>
> When the crown fell off, the dentist wanted to know the type of
> implant I had, each type requires different tools. Which given I had
> it done 25 years ago, I didn't have a clue. The crown is held to the
> post mainly by friction, every time it comes off the post becomes
> less effective, so at some point it may need replacing. I don't know
> how I will identify the type of the post, if that occurs. It seems
> irresponsible that details are not stored somewhere.

This is the sort of situation where you should obtain a copy of your
dental records and keep them.

Not long ago I needed my dental x-rays from almost almost 20 years ago
but discovered most of the detailed images had been destroyed.

I suspect the NHS sets rules for retention of dental records but I
wonder how well they are observed. One problem I had in getting private
medical records was that the doctor had retired (in other cases they
may have died) and then it's not clear who's reponsible for controlling
old data.

a dentist retires.

Re: DIY dental tourism?

<kpa840Fa60U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=107289&group=uk.d-i-y#107289

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2023 15:24:01 +0100
 by: alan_m - Wed, 18 Oct 2023 14:24 UTC

On 18/10/2023 13:02, Pamela wrote:

> This is the sort of situation where you should obtain a copy of your
> dental records and keep them.

In some respects are records actually required? Unable to find a NHS
dentist for a dozen years I bit the bullet and went private. The first
visit to the private dentist established from Xrays and an examination
the full state of health of my teeth and gums. From there I was given
alternative priced options on the way forward.

I'm not sure what more a previous a dental record would have established.

> Not long ago I needed my dental x-rays from almost almost 20 years ago
> but discovered most of the detailed images had been destroyed.

Those Xrays may have told you what your teeth were like 20 years ago but
not what they a like now. In the intervening years technology has moved
on and a modern Xray probably provides more information than then old
Xray. You are getting treatment based on what your teeth are like now
and not what they were like 20 years ago.

> I suspect the NHS sets rules for retention of dental records but I
> wonder how well they are observed.

Not dental, but I have access on-line to my medical records. I'm pretty
sure that some of the entries from my early childhood are somewhat of a
work of fiction. It lists all the immunisations BUT the dates that they
would be done and not actually a record if they were actually
implemented. I suspect that for a new born and a new medical record
that information is automatically included as a prompt to when the child
should be immunised. For a digital record for someone older paper
records were just ignored but the default entries just left.
For one of my relatives multi hospital admissions has shown that the
hospital's record keeping is chaotic. Records from previous
treatment(s) are missing, even within the same departments.

One problem I had in getting private
> medical records was that the doctor had retired (in other cases they
> may have died) and then it's not clear who's reponsible for controlling
> old data.
>
> a dentist retires.

Re: DIY dental tourism?

<of40ji53gak6vao5dt20tm97ko4aqn5koh@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=107301&group=uk.d-i-y#107301

From: me...@privacy.net (Chris Hogg)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2023 18:19:29 +0100
 by: Chris Hogg - Wed, 18 Oct 2023 17:19 UTC

On Wed, 18 Oct 2023 12:52:57 +0100, Pamela
<pamela.private.mailbox@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 17:43 17 Oct 2023, Andrew Gabriel said:
>>
>> Here's an appalling bit of dental tourism gone bad:
>> https://twitter.com/NileshRParmar/status/1562777234691092480
>
>That is shocking, although rather appropriate for a DIY group.
>
>Even worse, the screw was probably some metal that rusts over time.
>
>I wonder which country that bodge was done in.

Must have been painful screwing it in the first place!

When I was at uni I didn't have a local dentist, and when a filling
dropped out I got some two-pack moldable epoxy filler like Milliput
and used that (not actually Milliput - I don't think it was available
then). Lasted a good many months but my dentist was not amused when I
did eventually get to see him.

--
Chris

Re: DIY dental tourism?

<XnsB0A1CAAEA4FB291F3A2@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=107306&group=uk.d-i-y#107306

From: pamela.p...@gmail.com (Pamela)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2023 19:55:28 +0100
 by: Pamela - Wed, 18 Oct 2023 18:55 UTC

On 15:24 18 Oct 2023, alan_m said:
> On 18/10/2023 13:02, Pamela wrote:
>>
>> This is the sort of situation where you should obtain a copy of your
>> dental records and keep them.
>
> In some respects are records actually required? Unable to find a NHS
> dentist for a dozen years I bit the bullet and went private. The
> first visit to the private dentist established from Xrays and an
> examination the full state of health of my teeth and gums. From
> there I was given alternative priced options on the way forward.
>
> I'm not sure what more a previous a dental record would have
> established.
>
>> Not long ago I needed my dental x-rays from almost almost 20 years
>> ago but discovered most of the detailed images had been destroyed.
>
> Those Xrays may have told you what your teeth were like 20 years ago
> but not what they a like now. In the intervening years technology has
> moved on and a modern Xray probably provides more information than
> then old Xray. You are getting treatment based on what your teeth are
> like now and not what they were like 20 years ago.
>
>> I suspect the NHS sets rules for retention of dental records but I
>> wonder how well they are observed.
>
> Not dental, but I have access on-line to my medical records. I'm
> pretty sure that some of the entries from my early childhood are
> somewhat of a work of fiction. It lists all the immunisations BUT the
> dates that they would be done and not actually a record if they were
> actually implemented. I suspect that for a new born and a new
> medical record that information is automatically included as a prompt
> to when the child should be immunised. For a digital record for
> someone older paper records were just ignored but the default entries
> just left. For one of my relatives multi hospital admissions has
> shown that the hospital's record keeping is chaotic. Records from
> previous treatment(s) are missing, even within the same departments.
>

>> One problem I had in getting private
>> medical records was that the doctor had retired (in other cases they
>> may have died) and then it's not clear who's reponsible for
>> controlling old data.
>>
>> a dentist retires.
In my case 20-year-old dental records are important to see if a current
illness whose symptoms had first appeared around then could be tied to
some irregularities found at the time. A snazzy modern day cone beam
dental CT scan can show the mouth in great detail but can't show the
cause of a problem all those years ago.

General medical records can be very poorly kept with all sorts of
errors and oversights. There have been cases where records of two
different people got mixed up and only discovered by accident. I have a
copy of my medical records, especially from other hospitals and private
clinics. One thing I would like is the same software as my GP which
shows trends in test results and do clever filtering to extract certain
information.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: DIY dental tourism?