"All my life I wanted to be someone; I guess I should have been more specific." -- Jane Wagner

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / TOT: shredded paper recycling

SubjectAuthor
* TOT: shredded paper recyclingScott
+- Re: TOT: shredded paper recyclingTheo
+* Re: TOT: shredded paper recyclingAndy Burns
|`- Re: TOT: shredded paper recyclingTheo
+* Re: TOT: shredded paper recyclingRobin
|+- Re: TOT: shredded paper recyclingScott
|`* Re: TOT: shredded paper recyclingNY
| +- Re: TOT: shredded paper recyclingalan_m
| +* Re: TOT: shredded paper recyclingTim+
| |`- Re: TOT: shredded paper recyclingScott
| +* Re: TOT: shredded paper recyclingTim Streater
| |+* Re: TOT: shredded paper recyclingSam Plusnet
| ||`* Re: TOT: shredded paper recyclingPaul
| || `* Re: TOT: shredded paper recyclingSam Plusnet
| ||  `- Re: TOT: shredded paper recyclingPaul
| |`* Re: TOT: shredded paper recyclingAnthonyL
| | +- Re: TOT: shredded paper recyclingalan_m
| | +- Re: TOT: shredded paper recyclingTim Streater
| | `- Re: TOT: shredded paper recyclingAndy Burns
| +* Re: TOT: shredded paper recyclingwasbit
| |+* Re: TOT: shredded paper recyclingTheo
| ||`- Re: TOT: shredded paper recyclingSam Plusnet
| |+* Re: TOT: shredded paper recyclingScott
| ||`* Re: TOT: shredded paper recyclingNY
| || `* Re: TOT: shredded paper recyclingnib
| ||  +* Re: TOT: shredded paper recyclingalan_m
| ||  |+* Re: TOT: shredded paper recyclingFredxx
| ||  ||+- Re: TOT: shredded paper recyclingDavid Wade
| ||  ||`* Re: TOT: shredded paper recyclingNY
| ||  || `- Re: TOT: shredded paper recyclingcharles
| ||  |+- Re: TOT: shredded paper recyclingTheo
| ||  |`- Re: TOT: shredded paper recyclingmaus
| ||  +- Re: TOT: shredded paper recyclingNY
| ||  `- Re: TOT: shredded paper recyclingmaus
| |`- Re: TOT: shredded paper recyclingAndy Burns
| +* Re: TOT: shredded paper recyclingVir Campestris
| |`* Re: TOT: shredded paper recyclingalan_m
| | `* Re: TOT: shredded paper recyclingThe Natural Philosopher
| |  `* Re: TOT: shredded paper recyclingalan_m
| |   `- Re: TOT: shredded paper recyclingTim Streater
| `- Re: TOT: shredded paper recyclingMark Carver
+- Re: TOT: shredded paper recyclingChris Hogg
+- Re: TOT: shredded paper recyclingAlan J. Wylie
+* Re: TOT: shredded paper recyclingChris J Dixon
|`* Re: TOT: shredded paper recyclingNY
| `* Re: TOT: shredded paper recyclingsid
|  `- Re: TOT: shredded paper recyclingSam Plusnet
+- Re: TOT: shredded paper recyclingAllan
`* Re: shredded paper recyclingBrian Gaff
 `- Re: shredded paper recyclingVir Campestris

Pages:12
TOT: shredded paper recycling

<0fmemitdvh8hakih0ts6lb6aj1o2bnajqm@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=110167&group=uk.d-i-y#110167

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: TOT: shredded paper recycling
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 15:46:56 +0000
 by: Scott - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 15:46 UTC

I cannot get hold of anyone at Glasgow City Council, so I thought I
would ask the question in general terms to the experts here.

Our blue bins can be used for waste paper (in addition to cardboard,
cans, plastic bottles etc). There is conflicting information about
whether shredded paper can be placed in the blue bin. I have been told
it must not, because it jams up the processing conveyor. I have also
been told (by an employee) that it can, because it is paper.

Does anyone know definitively, or able to point me in the right
direction?

Re: TOT: shredded paper recycling

<8Yt*5HDwz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=110171&group=uk.d-i-y#110171

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: TOT: shredded paper recycling
Date: 29 Nov 2023 16:08:04 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 16:08 UTC

Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> I cannot get hold of anyone at Glasgow City Council, so I thought I
> would ask the question in general terms to the experts here.
>
> Our blue bins can be used for waste paper (in addition to cardboard,
> cans, plastic bottles etc). There is conflicting information about
> whether shredded paper can be placed in the blue bin. I have been told
> it must not, because it jams up the processing conveyor. I have also
> been told (by an employee) that it can, because it is paper.
>
> Does anyone know definitively, or able to point me in the right
> direction?

Each council (or group of councils) have their own rules, which are based on
the setup of their processing plant(s).

For Cambridge and South Cambridgeshire they say:

"Blue [Recycling] bin
Please put shredded paper in an old envelope or paper bag to prevent it
blowing out when the bin is emptied and littering the street. Large
quantities can be put in a transparent sack (available in supermarkets)."

Theo

Re: TOT: shredded paper recycling

<ksp610Fj03dU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=110172&group=uk.d-i-y#110172

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 16:09:05 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 16:09 UTC

Scott wrote:

> Our blue bins can be used for waste paper (in addition to cardboard,
> cans, plastic bottles etc). There is conflicting information about
> whether shredded paper can be placed in the blue bin. I have been told
> it must not, because it jams up the processing conveyor. I have also
> been told (by an employee) that it can, because it is paper.

I think here (Leics) it can go in our green bin, provided the shredded
stuff is packed into a paper bag, so that it doesn't fall through the
conveyor screen.

Re: TOT: shredded paper recycling

<-Yt*vJDwz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=110176&group=uk.d-i-y#110176

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 29 Nov 2023 16:14:15 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 16:14 UTC

Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:
> Scott wrote:
>
> > Our blue bins can be used for waste paper (in addition to cardboard,
> > cans, plastic bottles etc). There is conflicting information about
> > whether shredded paper can be placed in the blue bin. I have been told
> > it must not, because it jams up the processing conveyor. I have also
> > been told (by an employee) that it can, because it is paper.
>
> I think here (Leics) it can go in our green bin, provided the shredded
> stuff is packed into a paper bag, so that it doesn't fall through the
> conveyor screen.

Noting that bin colours are completely uncoordinated - in Cambs 'green' is
garden waste, in Glasgow 'green' is the non-recyclable bin!

(I think this was because authorities introduced different coloured bins at
different times - eg pre-recycling East Hants first got green wheelie bins
for general waste in 1990, maybe because the colour blended better in a
leafy street scene. Then when recycling came along they had to pick another
colour and chose black as the colour for recycling bins.)

Theo

Re: TOT: shredded paper recycling

<30e6791b-1fd7-42b1-b7a2-8a6a79d16f51@outlook.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=110177&group=uk.d-i-y#110177

From: rbw...@outlook.com (Robin)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 16:14:34 +0000
 by: Robin - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 16:14 UTC

On 29/11/2023 15:46, Scott wrote:
> I cannot get hold of anyone at Glasgow City Council, so I thought I
> would ask the question in general terms to the experts here.
>
> Our blue bins can be used for waste paper (in addition to cardboard,
> cans, plastic bottles etc). There is conflicting information about
> whether shredded paper can be placed in the blue bin. I have been told
> it must not, because it jams up the processing conveyor. I have also
> been told (by an employee) that it can, because it is paper.
>
> Does anyone know definitively, or able to point me in the right
> direction?

That depends entirely on the processing site(s) that deal with your
waste. There's no general right answer.

--
Robin

Re: TOT: shredded paper recycling

<amqemi1250ll0kbkrgsh1pakmhnogji5ar@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=110181&group=uk.d-i-y#110181

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 16:46:39 +0000
 by: Scott - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 16:46 UTC

On Wed, 29 Nov 2023 16:14:34 +0000, Robin <rbw@outlook.com> wrote:

>On 29/11/2023 15:46, Scott wrote:
>> I cannot get hold of anyone at Glasgow City Council, so I thought I
>> would ask the question in general terms to the experts here.
>>
>> Our blue bins can be used for waste paper (in addition to cardboard,
>> cans, plastic bottles etc). There is conflicting information about
>> whether shredded paper can be placed in the blue bin. I have been told
>> it must not, because it jams up the processing conveyor. I have also
>> been told (by an employee) that it can, because it is paper.
>>
>> Does anyone know definitively, or able to point me in the right
>> direction?
>>
>That depends entirely on the processing site(s) that deal with your
>waste. There's no general right answer.

Maybe I'll make an FOI request to force and answer.

Re: TOT: shredded paper recycling

<4eremil5necst8ghaa3ph86i6nq2h4mbiv@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=110182&group=uk.d-i-y#110182

From: me...@privacy.net (Chris Hogg)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 17:03:06 +0000
 by: Chris Hogg - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 17:03 UTC

On Wed, 29 Nov 2023 15:46:56 +0000, Scott
<newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

>I cannot get hold of anyone at Glasgow City Council, so I thought I
>would ask the question in general terms to the experts here.
>
>Our blue bins can be used for waste paper (in addition to cardboard,
>cans, plastic bottles etc). There is conflicting information about
>whether shredded paper can be placed in the blue bin. I have been told
>it must not, because it jams up the processing conveyor. I have also
>been told (by an employee) that it can, because it is paper.
>
>Does anyone know definitively, or able to point me in the right
>direction?

In Cornwall, quote "Place the shredded paper into a tied carrier bag
and place in with your paper recycling."

They don't specify what said carrier bag should be made of, but I
assume the primary objective is to stop the shreddings blowing around
during the collection and transport processes, and when it gets to its
destination it is debagged.

--
Chris

Re: TOT: shredded paper recycling

<OQidnaMA4Lg55fr4nZ2dnZfqnPidnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=110188&group=uk.d-i-y#110188

Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 17:45:07 +0000
From: me...@privacy.net (NY)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
 by: NY - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 17:45 UTC

On 29/11/2023 16:14, Robin wrote:
> On 29/11/2023 15:46, Scott wrote:
>> I cannot get hold of anyone at Glasgow City Council, so I thought I
>> would ask the question in general terms to the experts here.
>>
>> Our blue bins can be used for waste paper (in addition to cardboard,
>> cans, plastic bottles etc). There is conflicting information about
>> whether shredded paper can be placed in the blue bin. I have been told
>> it must not, because it jams up the processing conveyor. I have also
>> been told (by an employee) that it can, because it is paper.
>>
>> Does anyone know definitively, or able to point me in the right
>> direction?
>>

> That depends entirely on the processing site(s) that deal with your
> waste.  There's no general right answer.

The right answer would be for the whole of the UK to have standardised
rules on a) bin colours, and b) what can go in each bin.

East Yorkshire's is very customer-friendly and so achieves a higher
level of recycling versus landfill. All recycling (apart from food and
garden) goes in the same (blue) bin: the customer is not expected to
sort and segregate it during the collection period (eg two weeks) which
is a *lot* easier.

Hopefully any national standard would be for that sort of scheme rather
than a lowest common denominator. If East Yorkshire can do it,
everywhere else can.

It's rubbish. I want to throw it away. I don't expect to have to jump
through hoops to meet some penny-pinching rules - ie the council accepts
the lowest tender which is the one which is least customer-friendly
because it uses the customer to sort the recycling.

Re: TOT: shredded paper recycling

<kspfv7FlugnU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=110197&group=uk.d-i-y#110197

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 18:58:47 +0000
 by: alan_m - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 18:58 UTC

On 29/11/2023 17:45, NY wrote:

> East Yorkshire's is very customer-friendly and so achieves a higher
> level of recycling versus landfill. All recycling (apart from food and
> garden) goes in the same (blue) bin: the customer is not expected to
> sort and segregate it during the collection period (eg two weeks) which
> is a *lot* easier.

Similar to the policy adopted by my local council waste collection
contractor. However the council have recently indicated while recycling
is working well in most areas there are certain areas where there is
little recycling. It seems that no matter how simple you make the system
some people cannot be bothered to sort anything.

Re: TOT: shredded paper recycling

<555572024.722978580.811117.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=110201&group=uk.d-i-y#110201

From: tim.dow...@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 29 Nov 2023 19:29:16 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 19:29 UTC

NY <me@privacy.net> wrote:
> On 29/11/2023 16:14, Robin wrote:
>> On 29/11/2023 15:46, Scott wrote:
>>> I cannot get hold of anyone at Glasgow City Council, so I thought I
>>> would ask the question in general terms to the experts here.
>>>
>>> Our blue bins can be used for waste paper (in addition to cardboard,
>>> cans, plastic bottles etc). There is conflicting information about
>>> whether shredded paper can be placed in the blue bin. I have been told
>>> it must not, because it jams up the processing conveyor. I have also
>>> been told (by an employee) that it can, because it is paper.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know definitively, or able to point me in the right
>>> direction?
>>>

>> That depends entirely on the processing site(s) that deal with your
>> waste.  There's no general right answer.
>
> The right answer would be for the whole of the UK to have standardised
> rules on a) bin colours, and b) what can go in each bin.
>
> East Yorkshire's is very customer-friendly and so achieves a higher
> level of recycling versus landfill.

Councils only care about saving money, not recycling. As it happens,
shipping tons of mixed wasted abroad to third world countries for
“recycling” is cheaper than landfill, so that’s what they do. Very little
actual recycling is done in the UK. Once there of course it’s not their
problem if it gets bulldozed into the sea.

Don’t assume just because you can put something in a recycling bit and the
council collect it that there’s any sort of “joined up thinking” or real
desire to save the planet. Councils are just trying to avoid expensive
landfill.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: TOT: shredded paper recycling

<jl4fmi5sna2eo6buutkv50f6q5rd994ish@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=110204&group=uk.d-i-y#110204

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 19:37:03 +0000
 by: Scott - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 19:37 UTC

On 29 Nov 2023 19:29:16 GMT, Tim+ <tim.downie@gmail.com> wrote:

>NY <me@privacy.net> wrote:

>>> That depends entirely on the processing site(s) that deal with your
>>> waste.  There's no general right answer.
>>
>> The right answer would be for the whole of the UK to have standardised
>> rules on a) bin colours, and b) what can go in each bin.
>>
>> East Yorkshire's is very customer-friendly and so achieves a higher
>> level of recycling versus landfill.
>
>Councils only care about saving money, not recycling. As it happens,
>shipping tons of mixed wasted abroad to third world countries for
>“recycling” is cheaper than landfill, so that’s what they do. Very little
>actual recycling is done in the UK. Once there of course it’s not their
>problem if it gets bulldozed into the sea.
>
>Don’t assume just because you can put something in a recycling bit and the
>council collect it that there’s any sort of “joined up thinking” or real
>desire to save the planet. Councils are just trying to avoid expensive
>landfill.

I naively thought there were regulations to prevent this.

Re: TOT: shredded paper recycling

<87il5k46un.fsf@wylie.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=110207&group=uk.d-i-y#110207

From: ala...@wylie.me.uk (Alan J. Wylie)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 20:55:44 +0000
sha1:dbxNhUPDg2Ob02E3dcY77CUdSJM=
 by: Alan J. Wylie - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 20:55 UTC

Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> writes:

> I cannot get hold of anyone at Glasgow City Council, so I thought I
> would ask the question in general terms to the experts here.
>
> Our blue bins can be used for waste paper (in addition to cardboard,
> cans, plastic bottles etc). There is conflicting information about
> whether shredded paper can be placed in the blue bin. I have been told
> it must not, because it jams up the processing conveyor. I have also
> been told (by an employee) that it can, because it is paper.
>
> Does anyone know definitively, or able to point me in the right
> direction?

It's fine in Lancaster:

https://www.lancaster.gov.uk/bins-recycling/recycling/recycling-boxes

"What else can I put in my recycling bins/boxes?"
In the paper and cardboard bin/box:

Gift wrap
Birthday and Christmas cards
Toilet roll and kitchen roll tubes
Shredded paper
Catalogues and holiday brochures
Telephone directories including yellow pages
Envelopes (no need to remove the windows)

--
Dance like no-one's watching. / Encrypt like everyone is.
Security is inversely proportional to convenience

Re: TOT: shredded paper recycling

<fabfmi16ig4h2up4barej4nk5m88mp0h0f@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=110212&group=uk.d-i-y#110212

From: chr...@cdixon.me.uk (Chris J Dixon)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 21:31:19 +0000
 by: Chris J Dixon - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 21:31 UTC

Scott wrote:

>I cannot get hold of anyone at Glasgow City Council, so I thought I
>would ask the question in general terms to the experts here.
>
>Our blue bins can be used for waste paper (in addition to cardboard,
>cans, plastic bottles etc). There is conflicting information about
>whether shredded paper can be placed in the blue bin. I have been told
>it must not, because it jams up the processing conveyor. I have also
>been told (by an employee) that it can, because it is paper.
>
>Does anyone know definitively, or able to point me in the right
>direction?

We are permitted to put shredded paper in our recycling bins,
with no mention of bagging it first.

When I visited our local sorting facility, we saw the trommel
screen which removed all small "contamination" which then went
straight to landfill. This would clearly pass any crosscut paper
shreddings.

I queried this, and they said that I was correct, but they
felt that it was psychologically better to encourage recycling.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
chris@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.

Re: TOT: shredded paper recycling

<6nOdnZIX2fAzLfr4nZ2dnZfqnPadnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=110215&group=uk.d-i-y#110215

Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 21:44:14 +0000
From: me...@privacy.net (NY)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
 by: NY - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 21:44 UTC

On 29/11/2023 21:31, Chris J Dixon wrote:
> Scott wrote:
>
>> I cannot get hold of anyone at Glasgow City Council, so I thought I
>> would ask the question in general terms to the experts here.
>>
>> Our blue bins can be used for waste paper (in addition to cardboard,
>> cans, plastic bottles etc). There is conflicting information about
>> whether shredded paper can be placed in the blue bin. I have been told
>> it must not, because it jams up the processing conveyor. I have also
>> been told (by an employee) that it can, because it is paper.
>>
>> Does anyone know definitively, or able to point me in the right
>> direction?
>
> We are permitted to put shredded paper in our recycling bins,
> with no mention of bagging it first.
>
> When I visited our local sorting facility, we saw the trommel
> screen which removed all small "contamination" which then went
> straight to landfill. This would clearly pass any crosscut paper
> shreddings.
>
> I queried this, and they said that I was correct, but they
> felt that it was psychologically better to encourage recycling.

What is the "correct" solution for people who want to recycle
confidential waste? Shredding is not possible because the shreddings
clog up the conveyor (*). I suppose you can compost the shreddings at
home as long as you have somewhere to store them so you can feed a small
number at a time to accompany the day's veg peelings etc, to keep the
mixture ratio correct.

(*) I'm inclined to turn the problem on its head and say "design a
system that will allow shredded paper" rather than designing the system
first and then saying "this means you can't recycle shredded paper".
JFDI - stop making excuses.

Re: TOT: shredded paper recycling

<ksprfkFpa01U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=110221&group=uk.d-i-y#110221

From: tim...@streater.me.uk (Tim Streater)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 29 Nov 2023 22:15:16 GMT
 by: Tim Streater - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 22:15 UTC

On 29 Nov 2023 at 17:45:07 GMT, "NY" <me@privacy.net> wrote:

> It's rubbish. I want to throw it away.

If it's recyclable then it's not rubbish. Putting it in the correct bin is a
trivial matter.

Round here the supermarkets accept plastic wrappers for recycling, although
few people seem to have noticed. You put your crisp packets and similar
plastic in a plastic bag (such as your loo rolls come in) and dump that in a
container at Tesco or Morrisons (Sainsbury has one too but it's too small so
always full).

These days, our black bin (landfill) can go 4 weeks and sometimes 6 before
needing to be put out. Everything else is recycled.

--
"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."

James Nicoll, rasfw

Re: TOT: shredded paper recycling

<uk9bmi$190dj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=110227&group=uk.d-i-y#110227

From: me...@home.uk (sid)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 06:56:17 -0000
 by: sid - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 06:56 UTC

Burn it in a garden incincerator, if you live in the country.

Re: TOT: shredded paper recycling

<ksr439F6ts5U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=110242&group=uk.d-i-y#110242

From: inva...@invalid.invalid (Allan)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 09:48:24 +0000
 by: Allan - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 09:48 UTC

On 29/11/2023 15:46, Scott wrote:
> I cannot get hold of anyone at Glasgow City Council, so I thought I
> would ask the question in general terms to the experts here.
>
> Our blue bins can be used for waste paper (in addition to cardboard,
> cans, plastic bottles etc). There is conflicting information about
> whether shredded paper can be placed in the blue bin. I have been told
> it must not, because it jams up the processing conveyor. I have also
> been told (by an employee) that it can, because it is paper.
>
> Does anyone know definitively, or able to point me in the right
> direction?

In this bit of North Yorkshire (Craven), last time I checked, shredded
paper could not be put in the rcycling (blue) bin. However, there is
fortunately a household waste recycling centre nearby, and they have a
skip for paper and cardboard which will take bagged (in a paper
bag/sack) shredded paper.

Re: TOT: shredded paper recycling

<uk9nim$1ann6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=110252&group=uk.d-i-y#110252

From: was...@nowhere.com (wasbit)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 10:19:04 +0000
 by: wasbit - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 10:19 UTC

On 29/11/2023 17:45, NY wrote:

> snip <
>
> The right answer would be for the whole of the UK to have standardised
> rules on a) bin colours, and b) what can go in each bin.

Already under consultation
- https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-plans-unveiled-to-boost-recycling

--
Regards
wasbit

Re: TOT: shredded paper recycling

<-Yt*GMHwz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=110262&group=uk.d-i-y#110262

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 30 Nov 2023 10:40:03 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 10:40 UTC

wasbit <wasbit@nowhere.com> wrote:
> On 29/11/2023 17:45, NY wrote:
> >
> > snip <
> >
> > The right answer would be for the whole of the UK to have standardised
> > rules on a) bin colours, and b) what can go in each bin.
> >

> Already under consultation
> - https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-plans-unveiled-to-boost-recycling

"It's complicated":
https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/consistency-in-household-and-business-recycling-in-england/outcome/government-response

but note it says nothing about bin colours. Also that 'plastic' doesn't
mean tossing in any plastic, it means the following:

" plastic bottles made of polyethylene terephthalate (PET, including
amorphous, recycled PET), polypropylene (PP) and high-density polyethylene
(HDPE)

pots, tubs and trays made of PET (including amorphous, recycled and
crystalline PET), PP (including expanded PP) and polyethylene (PE)

PE and PP plastic tubes larger than 50mm x 50mm

cartons for food, drink and other liquids, including aseptic and chilled
cartons

plastic film packaging and plastic bags made of mono-polyethylene
(mono-PE), mono-polypropylene (mono-PP) and mixed polyolefins PE and PP,
including those metallised through vacuum or vapour deposition (to be
included from 31 March 2027) "

The devil will be in the funding requirements since local authorities have
no money to spare, so it's only if central government provides enough
funding. Otherwise LAs are limited to recycling that waste which they can
sell commercially, something which is extremely marginal based on local
costs and volatile global prices.

Theo

Re: shredded paper recycling

<uk9p4i$1b0bl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=110266&group=uk.d-i-y#110266

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: shredded paper recycling
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 10:45:35 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 10:45 UTC

Just to muddy the waters, my council said the strip type shredded paper
preserves its long fibres and can be recycled, but the type where its tiny
little diamonds or whatever, cannot be as the fibres are cut. What I don't
get about this is that, how do you know whichways the fibres run to shred
them in the right way?
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Scott" <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote in message
>I cannot get hold of anyone at Glasgow City Council, so I thought I
> would ask the question in general terms to the experts here.
>
> Our blue bins can be used for waste paper (in addition to cardboard,
> cans, plastic bottles etc). There is conflicting information about
> whether shredded paper can be placed in the blue bin. I have been told
> it must not, because it jams up the processing conveyor. I have also
> been told (by an employee) that it can, because it is paper.
>
> Does anyone know definitively, or able to point me in the right
> direction?

Re: TOT: shredded paper recycling

<7eqgmilsebvvf6af712jb59n8rc0jag0h7@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=110268&group=uk.d-i-y#110268

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 10:55:02 +0000
 by: Scott - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 10:55 UTC

On Thu, 30 Nov 2023 10:19:04 +0000, wasbit <wasbit@nowhere.com> wrote:

>On 29/11/2023 17:45, NY wrote:
>>
>> snip <
> >
>> The right answer would be for the whole of the UK to have standardised
>> rules on a) bin colours, and b) what can go in each bin.
>>
>Already under consultation
> - https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-plans-unveiled-to-boost-recycling

No - that only applies to one corner of the UK :-)

Re: TOT: shredded paper recycling

<VPmcnZbWCI4f5_X4nZ2dnZfqn_GdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=110284&group=uk.d-i-y#110284

Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 12:05:22 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
From: me...@privacy.net (NY)
 by: NY - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 12:05 UTC

On 30/11/2023 10:55, Scott wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Nov 2023 10:19:04 +0000, wasbit <wasbit@nowhere.com> wrote:
>
>> On 29/11/2023 17:45, NY wrote:
>>>
>>> snip <
>>>
>>> The right answer would be for the whole of the UK to have standardised
>>> rules on a) bin colours, and b) what can go in each bin.
>>>
>> Already under consultation
>> - https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-plans-unveiled-to-boost-recycling
>
> No - that only applies to one corner of the UK :-)

They need to bring back weekly collections (as opposed to one week
landfill and the next week recycling) to avoid people needing such large
bins. No matter how much you recycle, the *total* amount remains the
same. I've seen some people claiming that we should be producing less
waste, *even of a form that can be recycled*. With more and more good
being delivered by mail order, that's a lot of cardboard. Liquids (milk
etc) need to be delivered in some sort of container, whether it's
plastic or glass.

Re: TOT: shredded paper recycling

<ksrf4oF8djlU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=110294&group=uk.d-i-y#110294

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 12:56:54 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 12:56 UTC

wasbit wrote:

> NY wrote:
>
>> The right answer would be for the whole of the UK to have standardised
>> rules on a) bin colours, and b) what can go in each bin.
>
> Already under consultation
> https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-plans-unveiled-to-boost-recycling

supply each household with several cans of spraypaint?

Re: TOT: shredded paper recycling

<uka232$1agqm$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=110299&group=uk.d-i-y#110299

From: new...@ingram-bromley.co.uk (nib)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 13:18:27 -0000 (UTC)
 by: nib - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 13:18 UTC

On Thu, 30 Nov 2023 12:05:22 +0000, NY wrote:

> On 30/11/2023 10:55, Scott wrote:

>>> Already under consultation
>>> -
>>> https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-plans-unveiled-to-boost-
recycling

>> No - that only applies to one corner of the UK :-)
>
> They need to bring back weekly collections (as opposed to one week
> landfill and the next week recycling) to avoid people needing such large
> bins. No matter how much you recycle, the *total* amount remains the
> same. I've seen some people claiming that we should be producing less
> waste, *even of a form that can be recycled*. With more and more good
> being delivered by mail order, that's a lot of cardboard. Liquids (milk
> etc) need to be delivered in some sort of container, whether it's
> plastic or glass.

Well... in my father's day on a dairy farm, the milk went out in churns
in a motorcycle side-car and was measured out into the customer's
containers. But yes, unlikely to work so well these days!

nib

Re: TOT: shredded paper recycling

<ksrq39Fcpn1U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=110314&group=uk.d-i-y#110314

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 16:03:53 +0000
 by: alan_m - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 16:03 UTC

On 30/11/2023 13:18, nib wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Nov 2023 12:05:22 +0000, NY wrote:

Milk to the doorstep possibly started to die off when in two adult
households both went to work during the day. Milk left on the doorstep
all day went off.