Neutrinos have bad breadth.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Remote control light switch?

SubjectAuthor
* Remote control light switch?David
+* Re: Remote control light switch?David
|+- Re: Remote control light switch?Andy Burns
|`- Re: Remote control light switch?Vir Campestris
+- Re: Remote control light switch?David Wade
+* Re: Remote control light switch?Max Demian
|`- Re: Remote control light switch?Sam Plusnet
+- Re: Remote control light switch?Owain Lastname
+- Re: Remote control light switch?Brian
+* Re: Remote control light switch?Tim+
|`* Re: Remote control light switch?David
| `* Re: Remote control light switch?Tim+
|  +- Re: Remote control light switch?charles
|  `* Re: Remote control light switch?David
|   +* Re: Remote control light switch?David Wade
|   |`* Re: Remote control light switch?Andy Burns
|   | `- Re: Remote control light switch?David Wade
|   `- Re: Remote control light switch?alan_m
+- Re: Remote control light switch?Paul
+- Re: Remote control light switch?jkn
+* Re: Remote control light switch? (or light fitting)David
|+* Re: Remote control light switch? (or light fitting)David
||+* Re: Remote control light switch? (or light fitting)Jeff Layman
|||`- Re: Remote control light switch? (or light fitting)Jeff Layman
||+- Re: Remote control light switch? (or light fitting)alan_m
||`- Re: Remote control light switch? (or light fitting)John Armstrong
|+* Re: Remote control light switch? (or light fitting)Andy Burns
||`* Re: Remote control light switch? (or light fitting)Andy Burns
|| `* Re: Remote control light switch? (or light fitting)alan_m
||  `* Re: Remote control light switch? (or light fitting)Andy Burns
||   `* Re: Remote control light switch? (or light fitting)Andy Burns
||    `* Re: Remote control light switch? (or light fitting)Andy Burns
||     `- Re: Remote control light switch? (or light fitting)David
|+- Re: Remote control light switch? (or light fitting)Nick Odell
|+- Re: Remote control light switch? (or light fitting)Bob Eager
|+- Re: Remote control light switch? (or light fitting)nothanks
|`- Re: Remote control light switch? (or light fitting)Mike Humphrey
+- Re: Remote control light switch?RJH
+* Re: Remote control light switch?Tricky Dicky
|+* Re: Remote control light switch?Jeff Layman
||`- Re: Remote control light switch?Tricky Dicky
|`- Re: Remote control light switch?Tricky Dicky
+- Re: Remote control light switch?Brian Gaff
+* Re: Remote control light switch?Jethro_uk
|`* Re: Remote control light switch?David
| `- Re: Remote control light switch?Andy Burns
+* Re: Remote control light switch?John Rumm
|+* Re: Remote control light switch?alan_m
||`* Re: Remote control light switch?John Rumm
|| `* Re: Remote control light switch?alan_m
||  `- Re: Remote control light switch?John Rumm
|`* Re: Remote control light switch?Jeff Layman
| +* Re: Remote control light switch?David Wade
| |`- Re: Remote control light switch?Paul
| +- Re: Remote control light switch?maus
| `- Re: Remote control light switch?John Rumm
`- Re: Remote control light switch?Bob Eager

Pages:123
Remote control light switch?

<ksp5ldF433fU5@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=110170&group=uk.d-i-y#110170

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Remote control light switch?
Date: 29 Nov 2023 16:02:53 GMT
 by: David - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 16:02 UTC

Contemplating a remote control light switch (possibly with dimmer) for the
bedroom so I don't have to get my lazy arse out of bed to work it.

I see Screwfix list some which it claims work with Alexa, Google Home,
Androis App, IOS App.

Does anyone have recommendations?

I'm not keen on Alexa as it seems to listen all the time.
An Android App would be fine.

Cheers

Dave R

--
AMD FX-6300 in GA-990X-Gaming SLI-CF running Windows 10 x64

Re: Remote control light switch?

<ksp619F433fU6@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=110173&group=uk.d-i-y#110173

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Remote control light switch?
Date: 29 Nov 2023 16:09:13 GMT
 by: David - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 16:09 UTC

On Wed, 29 Nov 2023 16:02:53 +0000, David wrote:

> Contemplating a remote control light switch (possibly with dimmer) for
> the bedroom so I don't have to get my lazy arse out of bed to work it.
>
> I see Screwfix list some which it claims work with Alexa, Google Home,
> Androis App, IOS App.
>
> Does anyone have recommendations?
>
> I'm not keen on Alexa as it seems to listen all the time.
> An Android App would be fine.

Supplementary: Internet Connection Required!

Why?

I just want to connect locally to a light switch, not route everything
through a cloud server which may not be there next year (looking at you,
Google)!

I do not require to be able to work the light switch when away from home.
[Although that is an interesting concept if you have security concerns.]

Cheers

Dave R

--
AMD FX-6300 in GA-990X-Gaming SLI-CF running Windows 10 x64

Re: Remote control light switch?

<ksp6jcFj03dU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=110178&group=uk.d-i-y#110178

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 16:18:53 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 16:18 UTC

David wrote:

> Supplementary: Internet Connection Required!

Your spoken command goes half way round the world to be "understood" by
alexa or google, which sends back a command to your local device to turn
the light on, some devices require a hub, others just use a normal
google/amazon smart speaker, if you want full local control without the
cloud, you'll need a local device such as HomeAssistantYellow or
HubitatElevation

Re: Remote control light switch?

<uk7v0q$u80m$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=110192&group=uk.d-i-y#110192

From: g4u...@dave.invalid (David Wade)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 18:13:46 +0000
 by: David Wade - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 18:13 UTC

On 29/11/2023 16:02, David wrote:
> Contemplating a remote control light switch (possibly with dimmer) for the
> bedroom so I don't have to get my lazy arse out of bed to work it.

Not unreasonable. I have the same desire...

> I see Screwfix list some which it claims work with Alexa, Google Home,
> Androis App, IOS App.

I have a selection. Most use some cloud thing called TAPO which you can
then link to the above mentioned apps.

> Does anyone have recommendations?

Phillips HUE Bluetooth.

> I'm not keen on Alexa as it seems to listen all the time.
> An Android App would be fine.

Most of the android apps rely on a cloud connection. Some Philips Hue
lights can connect over Bluetooth. e.g.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Hue-White-Ambiance-Bayonet/dp/B099NR43LN/?th=1

There is an Android app, or you can buy a switch to control them...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Hue-Wireless-Installation-Free-Exclusive/dp/B08PKMT2DV/?th=1

(Screwfix don't seem to have that one so Amazon link)

they can also connect directly to Amazon Echo devices....
.... you can get plain white or colour ones...

> Cheers
>

> Dave R

No problems
Dave

Re: Remote control light switch?

<uk7vaa$uiu4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=110194&group=uk.d-i-y#110194

From: max_dem...@bigfoot.com (Max Demian)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 18:18:51 +0000
 by: Max Demian - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 18:18 UTC

On 29/11/2023 16:02, David wrote:
> Contemplating a remote control light switch (possibly with dimmer) for the
> bedroom so I don't have to get my lazy arse out of bed to work it.
>
> I see Screwfix list some which it claims work with Alexa, Google Home,
> Androis App, IOS App.
>
> Does anyone have recommendations?
>
> I'm not keen on Alexa as it seems to listen all the time.
> An Android App would be fine.

Two way pendant switch over the bed connected to the lighting circuit.
Easier in a bungalow as you can wire it up in the attic.

I once did a similar thing to switch off the telly before remote controls.

--
Max Demian

Re: Remote control light switch?

<YRL9N.21954$aoZb.21187@fx01.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=110198&group=uk.d-i-y#110198

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 18:59:04 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 18:59 UTC

On 29-Nov-23 18:18, Max Demian wrote:
> On 29/11/2023 16:02, David wrote:
>> Contemplating a remote control light switch (possibly with dimmer) for
>> the
>> bedroom so I don't have to get my lazy arse out of bed to work it.
>>
>> I see Screwfix list some which it claims work with Alexa, Google Home,
>> Androis App, IOS App.
>>
>> Does anyone have recommendations?
>>
>> I'm not keen on Alexa as it seems to listen all the time.
>> An Android App would be fine.
>
> Two way pendant switch over the bed connected to the lighting circuit.
> Easier in a bungalow as you can wire it up in the attic.
>
> I once did a similar thing to switch off the telly before remote controls.

That reminded me of my childhood bedroom, where the only electrical
'outlet' in the room was the light fitting dangling from the centre of
the ceiling.
It ended up having a whole Christmas tree of adaptors plugged into it,
plus a dangling pendant switch.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Remote control light switch?

<6c7a905a-8d40-4601-96a2-fbf54169751dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=110199&group=uk.d-i-y#110199

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 10:59:42 -0800 (PST)
From: spuorgel...@gowanhill.com (Owain Lastname)
 by: Owain Lastname - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 18:59 UTC

On Wednesday, 29 November 2023 at 16:03:00 UTC, David wrote:
> Contemplating a remote control light switch (possibly with dimmer) for the
> bedroom so I don't have to get my lazy arse out of bed to work it.
> I'm not keen on Alexa as it seems to listen all the time.
> An Android App would be fine.

I think all the app ones work over the internet to some extent. I know the £3 ones they sold in Poundland a few months back were a bit flaky at losing their wifi signal.

If you want privacy then a direct wireless switch would probably be simpler

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SK350113.html

or

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/LMESR1.html

Owain

Re: Remote control light switch?

<uk839p$v8i0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=110200&group=uk.d-i-y#110200

From: noi...@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 19:26:49 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:PX/w1orNw1Stm3auxu8kGdbnHtU=
 by: Brian - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 19:26 UTC

David <wibble@btinternet.com> wrote:
> Contemplating a remote control light switch (possibly with dimmer) for the
> bedroom so I don't have to get my lazy arse out of bed to work it.
>
> I see Screwfix list some which it claims work with Alexa, Google Home,
> Androis App, IOS App.
>
> Does anyone have recommendations?
>
> I'm not keen on Alexa as it seems to listen all the time.
> An Android App would be fine.
>
> Cheers
>

> Dave R

You can get ones which are both ‘Smart’ and RF ( 433MHz) via a second
switch, which can be a fob or resemble a wall switch.

There are also RF only ones.

Just search for remote light switches on EBay or Amazon.

We have a few Smart ones, set up to work with Alexa and Siri.

Re: Remote control light switch?

<410560371.722978974.575452.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=110202&group=uk.d-i-y#110202

From: tim.dow...@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 29 Nov 2023 19:31:08 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 19:31 UTC

David <wibble@btinternet.com> wrote:
> Contemplating a remote control light switch (possibly with dimmer) for the
> bedroom so I don't have to get my lazy arse out of bed to work it.
>
> I see Screwfix list some which it claims work with Alexa, Google Home,
> Androis App, IOS App.
>
> Does anyone have recommendations?
>
> I'm not keen on Alexa as it seems to listen all the time.
> An Android App would be fine.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/10ax-2-way-pull-cord-switch-white/70874

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: Remote control light switch?

<uk83ko$va7b$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=110203&group=uk.d-i-y#110203

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 14:32:39 -0500
 by: Paul - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 19:32 UTC

On 11/29/2023 11:02 AM, David wrote:
> Contemplating a remote control light switch (possibly with dimmer) for the
> bedroom so I don't have to get my lazy arse out of bed to work it.
>
> I see Screwfix list some which it claims work with Alexa, Google Home,
> Androis App, IOS App.
>
> Does anyone have recommendations?
>
> I'm not keen on Alexa as it seems to listen all the time.
> An Android App would be fine.
>
> Cheers
>

> Dave R

In the old days, they made a key-fob transmitter, and a wall-outlet receiver.
The transmitter just sends a pulse at the garage door frequency, to turn
the light on and off. No Alexa. No microphones. No Internet Connection.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/S/aplus-media-library-service-media/f593cbc0-b3fb-4a2f-8255-434e990aab2b.__CR0,0,800,600_PT0_SX800_V1___.jpg

In terms of packaging, they also make the same gadget, but in terms
of wall-mountable items. The lamp can be on one side of the
room. A "rocker light switch" looking thing, can be located on the
other side of the room. You wire mains to the rocker switch, to deliver
50mW to the transmitter in the rocker switch. This
eliminates the need for coin cells in the key fob. Instead of the
key fob, there is a light-switch looking thingy, that sits next to your bed.
That's not very flexible though, as you can walk around with the
key-fob. But you can also lose the key-fob, or the battery in the
key fob can go dead. This is a "remote light switch", the difference
being, that no wire has to run between the two units, but, both
units need mains power, where ever you locate the item(s).

Leviton RF - - -> Leviton
Wall-Plate Receiver --> Lamp
Remote Module
^ ^
| |
Mains power Mains power

The BSR X-10 in the old days, used to communicate with remote wall-mount
modules, via power wire signaling. That's another way to do it, without
an RF component. The receiving module likely had an "address" (DIP switches),
so that one controller, could control multiple lamps through out the house.
One of my friends had his place entirely lighted with these. Just nuts.

X-10 X-10 --> Lamp
Controller Module
^ | ^
| v |
Mains power - power-line-signaling - - > Mains power

But with Google, it can be hard to find some of these older,
less sophisticated concepts.

Paul

Re: Remote control light switch?

<kspn9gF433fU7@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=110209&group=uk.d-i-y#110209

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 29 Nov 2023 21:03:44 GMT
 by: David - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 21:03 UTC

On Wed, 29 Nov 2023 19:31:08 +0000, Tim+ wrote:

> David <wibble@btinternet.com> wrote:
>> Contemplating a remote control light switch (possibly with dimmer) for
>> the bedroom so I don't have to get my lazy arse out of bed to work it.
>>
>> I see Screwfix list some which it claims work with Alexa, Google Home,
>> Androis App, IOS App.
>>
>> Does anyone have recommendations?
>>
>> I'm not keen on Alexa as it seems to listen all the time.
>> An Android App would be fine.
>>

> https://www.screwfix.com/p/10ax-2-way-pull-cord-switch-white/70874
>
> Tim

How do I replace the current wall switch with that?

Cheers

Dave R

--
AMD FX-6300 in GA-990X-Gaming SLI-CF running Windows 10 x64

Re: Remote control light switch?

<164a74d4-f517-4873-8e96-092f2321e40cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=110210&group=uk.d-i-y#110210

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 13:08:59 -0800 (PST)
From: jkn...@nicorp.f9.co.uk (jkn)
 by: jkn - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 21:08 UTC

On Wednesday, November 29, 2023 at 4:03:00 PM UTC, David wrote:
> Contemplating a remote control light switch (possibly with dimmer) for the
> bedroom so I don't have to get my lazy arse out of bed to work it.
>
> I see Screwfix list some which it claims work with Alexa, Google Home,
> Androis App, IOS App.
>
> Does anyone have recommendations?
>
> I'm not keen on Alexa as it seems to listen all the time.
> An Android App would be fine.

if you get a smartplug 'preflashed' with Tasmota Software,
then you can control it locally with some Android apps,
or your web browser etc. I guess Theo will be along shortly
to tell you more,

I recently bought a couple of Athom smartplugs from
aliexpress for < £20, eg:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001880012237.html

There's a process to set them up on your home network
and configure IP address etc.

You can also control these with Home Assistant if yuou were
to go down this route at some point.

Re: Remote control light switch? (or light fitting)

<kspnroF433fU8@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=110211&group=uk.d-i-y#110211

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Remote control light switch? (or light fitting)
Date: 29 Nov 2023 21:13:28 GMT
 by: David - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 21:13 UTC

On Wed, 29 Nov 2023 16:02:53 +0000, David wrote:

> Contemplating a remote control light switch (possibly with dimmer) for
> the bedroom so I don't have to get my lazy arse out of bed to work it.
>
> I see Screwfix list some which it claims work with Alexa, Google Home,
> Androis App, IOS App.
>
> Does anyone have recommendations?
>
> I'm not keen on Alexa as it seems to listen all the time.
> An Android App would be fine.

Just realised that my original plan to replace the wall switch with a
remote control switch has one major flaw.
Most (single way) light switches are one wire in and one wire out.
They just switch the live (I think) from the light fitting.
As such current will only flow with the switch turned on.
Remote control light switches seem to need live and neutral to the switch
(not unreasonably).
I was looking for a solution which didn't involve any rewiring.
I don't fancy channelling out the wall and also lifting the floor in the
loft to upgrade the wiring.

I assume I could look at a remote control light fitting which has the wall
switch permanently on to provide power.

Or I could get a head torch.

Cheers

Dave R

--
AMD FX-6300 in GA-990X-Gaming SLI-CF running Windows 10 x64

Re: Remote control light switch? (or light fitting)

<kspp4sF433fU9@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=110213&group=uk.d-i-y#110213

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 29 Nov 2023 21:35:24 GMT
 by: David - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 21:35 UTC

On Wed, 29 Nov 2023 21:13:28 +0000, David wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Nov 2023 16:02:53 +0000, David wrote:
>
>> Contemplating a remote control light switch (possibly with dimmer) for
>> the bedroom so I don't have to get my lazy arse out of bed to work it.
>>
>> I see Screwfix list some which it claims work with Alexa, Google Home,
>> Androis App, IOS App.
>>
>> Does anyone have recommendations?
>>
>> I'm not keen on Alexa as it seems to listen all the time.
>> An Android App would be fine.
>
> Just realised that my original plan to replace the wall switch with a
> remote control switch has one major flaw.
> Most (single way) light switches are one wire in and one wire out.
> They just switch the live (I think) from the light fitting.
> As such current will only flow with the switch turned on.
> Remote control light switches seem to need live and neutral to the
> switch (not unreasonably).
> I was looking for a solution which didn't involve any rewiring.
> I don't fancy channelling out the wall and also lifting the floor in the
> loft to upgrade the wiring.
>
> I assume I could look at a remote control light fitting which has the
> wall switch permanently on to provide power.
>
> Or I could get a head torch.

There seem to be loads of LED light fitting replacements which come with a
remote control.
There is nothing to say that they won't just fit in standard wiring - a
ceiling rose (my very rusty memory) should have power in plus switched in
out.
Has anyone used one of these?

Most seem to be garish Chinese and may not have replaceable bulbs.

Cheers

Dave R

--
AMD FX-6300 in GA-990X-Gaming SLI-CF running Windows 10 x64

Re: Remote control light switch? (or light fitting)

<ksppitFn0ioU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=110214&group=uk.d-i-y#110214

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 21:42:52 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 21:42 UTC

David wrote:

> David wrote:
>
>> Contemplating a remote control light switch (possibly with dimmer) for
>> the bedroom so I don't have to get my lazy arse out of bed to work it.
>
> Just realised that my original plan to replace the wall switch with a
> remote control switch has one major flaw.
> Most (single way) light switches are one wire in and one wire out.
> They just switch the live (I think) from the light fitting.

Just get a smart bulb, and control it via wifi from your phone?
You'll have to leave it "on" at the switch permanently.

Re: Remote control light switch? (or light fitting)

<uk8c24$vrgb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=110218&group=uk.d-i-y#110218

From: Jef...@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 21:56:19 +0000
 by: Jeff Layman - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 21:56 UTC

On 29/11/2023 21:35, David wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Nov 2023 21:13:28 +0000, David wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 29 Nov 2023 16:02:53 +0000, David wrote:
>>
>>> Contemplating a remote control light switch (possibly with dimmer) for
>>> the bedroom so I don't have to get my lazy arse out of bed to work it.
>>>
>>> I see Screwfix list some which it claims work with Alexa, Google Home,
>>> Androis App, IOS App.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have recommendations?
>>>
>>> I'm not keen on Alexa as it seems to listen all the time.
>>> An Android App would be fine.
>>
>> Just realised that my original plan to replace the wall switch with a
>> remote control switch has one major flaw.
>> Most (single way) light switches are one wire in and one wire out.
>> They just switch the live (I think) from the light fitting.
>> As such current will only flow with the switch turned on.
>> Remote control light switches seem to need live and neutral to the
>> switch (not unreasonably).
>> I was looking for a solution which didn't involve any rewiring.
>> I don't fancy channelling out the wall and also lifting the floor in the
>> loft to upgrade the wiring.
>>
>> I assume I could look at a remote control light fitting which has the
>> wall switch permanently on to provide power.
>>
>> Or I could get a head torch.
>
> There seem to be loads of LED light fitting replacements which come with a
> remote control.
> There is nothing to say that they won't just fit in standard wiring - a
> ceiling rose (my very rusty memory) should have power in plus switched in
> out.
> Has anyone used one of these?

We used one for our granddaughter's bedroom when she stayed with us. Got
it from Wilkos (bayonet or E27 fitting). It had many colours, and could
cycle through them or dim/brighten as required. But it was really more
of a nightlight as it wasn't bright even when fully on in white.

--

Jeff

Re: Remote control light switch? (or light fitting)

<uk8cqj$vrga$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=110220&group=uk.d-i-y#110220

From: Jef...@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 22:09:23 +0000
 by: Jeff Layman - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 22:09 UTC

This is said to be as bright as a 60W incandescent bulb when used in white:
<https://www.diy.com/departments/set-of-2-e27-rgb-led-bulb-lights-10w-12-colour-changing-remote-control-lamp/5065011672740_BQ.prd>

--

Jeff

Re: Remote control light switch? (or light fitting)

<6ihfmiljknd3mnadur0i42v0ctu41u6ih6@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=110222&group=uk.d-i-y#110222

From: nic...@themusicworkshop.plus.com (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 23:18:14 +0000
 by: Nick Odell - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 23:18 UTC

On 29 Nov 2023 21:13:28 GMT, David <wibble@btinternet.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 29 Nov 2023 16:02:53 +0000, David wrote:
>
>> Contemplating a remote control light switch (possibly with dimmer) for
>> the bedroom so I don't have to get my lazy arse out of bed to work it.
>>
>> I see Screwfix list some which it claims work with Alexa, Google Home,
>> Androis App, IOS App.
>>
>> Does anyone have recommendations?
>>
>> I'm not keen on Alexa as it seems to listen all the time.
>> An Android App would be fine.
>
>Just realised that my original plan to replace the wall switch with a
>remote control switch has one major flaw.
>Most (single way) light switches are one wire in and one wire out.
>They just switch the live (I think) from the light fitting.
>As such current will only flow with the switch turned on.
>Remote control light switches seem to need live and neutral to the switch
>(not unreasonably).
>I was looking for a solution which didn't involve any rewiring.
>I don't fancy channelling out the wall and also lifting the floor in the
>loft to upgrade the wiring.
>
>I assume I could look at a remote control light fitting which has the wall
>switch permanently on to provide power.
>
>Or I could get a head torch.

Or a long stick by the side of the bed with which to poke the switch
on the wall. It's how I used to change channels on my push-button TV
before they invented remote control.

Nick

Re: Remote control light switch? (or light fitting)

<ksq0inFoiiaU6@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=110223&group=uk.d-i-y#110223

From: news0...@eager.cx (Bob Eager)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 29 Nov 2023 23:42:15 GMT
 by: Bob Eager - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 23:42 UTC

On Wed, 29 Nov 2023 21:13:28 +0000, David wrote:

> Just realised that my original plan to replace the wall switch with a
> remote control switch has one major flaw.
> Most (single way) light switches are one wire in and one wire out.
> They just switch the live (I think) from the light fitting.
> As such current will only flow with the switch turned on.
> Remote control light switches seem to need live and neutral to the
> switch (not unreasonably).

Lots of no-neutral ones around.

Re: Remote control light switch? (or light fitting)

<ksqkshF6beU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=110225&group=uk.d-i-y#110225

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 05:28:49 +0000
 by: alan_m - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 05:28 UTC

On 29/11/2023 21:35, David wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Nov 2023 21:13:28 +0000, David wrote:

>> I assume I could look at a remote control light fitting which has the
>> wall switch permanently on to provide power.
>>
>> Or I could get a head torch.
>
> There seem to be loads of LED light fitting replacements which come with a
> remote control.
> There is nothing to say that they won't just fit in standard wiring - a
> ceiling rose (my very rusty memory) should have power in plus switched in
> out.
> Has anyone used one of these?
>
> Most seem to be garish Chinese and may not have replaceable bulbs.

I have a cheap chinese LED light fitting (approx £14) which is a 280 cm
diameter panel type, with no changeable LED bulb, that just need the two
wires from a ceiling rose* and it has a remote control.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/285308349246?var=587183923769
36W with blue backlight strip

The remote can switch between 3 colour temperatures of 3000K, 4000K and
6000K and some intermediate steps, and can dim the light.

If the pre-existing wall switch is left in the on position the remote
can be used to turn off/on the light. When the light is switched off,
either by the remote or via the wall light switch, the previous settings
of colour temperature and brightness are remembered.

In my application I don't use the remote and switch the light on/off in
the conventional way with the wall light switch.

The remote is cheap and nasty/flimsy but works.

* There is no room for a connection if an existing ceiling rose is left
in place so it has to be moved to some kind of junction box stuffed
above a ceiling. My light is a surface mounted light fixing. A fixing
bracket is mounted to the ceiling and the panel slides into the bracket.

One gotcha with this light is that you will possibly need some heat
shrink over the in-line connector they supply and/or over your
connection to the ends of the bare wires to the light fitting. There is
a short length of cable moulded into the light fitting for the mains
connection.

Other brands have a better connection scheme but may also require an
existing ceiling rose to moved to an above ceiling junction box.

Re: Remote control light switch?

<uk9b6n$18u4b$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=110226&group=uk.d-i-y#110226

From: patchmo...@gmx.com (RJH)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 06:47:52 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RJH - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 06:47 UTC

On 29 Nov 2023 at 16:02:53 GMT, David wrote:

> Contemplating a remote control light switch (possibly with dimmer) for the
> bedroom so I don't have to get my lazy arse out of bed to work it.
>
> I see Screwfix list some which it claims work with Alexa, Google Home,
> Androis App, IOS App.
>
> Does anyone have recommendations?
>
> I'm not keen on Alexa as it seems to listen all the time.
> An Android App would be fine.

To keep things simple (no apps, internet etc) I've used a couple of Ikea
switches/bulbs. The switches can be wall mounted using a magnetic holder, and
paired to several bulbs (if that's your thing). For example:

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/rodret-wireless-dimmer-power-switch-smart-white-80559796/

--
Cheers, Rob, Sheffield UK

Re: Remote control light switch?

<423197586.723021279.834888.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=110228&group=uk.d-i-y#110228

From: tim.dow...@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 30 Nov 2023 07:20:19 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 07:20 UTC

David <wibble@btinternet.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Nov 2023 19:31:08 +0000, Tim+ wrote:
>
>> David <wibble@btinternet.com> wrote:
>>> Contemplating a remote control light switch (possibly with dimmer) for
>>> the bedroom so I don't have to get my lazy arse out of bed to work it.
>>>
>>> I see Screwfix list some which it claims work with Alexa, Google Home,
>>> Androis App, IOS App.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have recommendations?
>>>
>>> I'm not keen on Alexa as it seems to listen all the time.
>>> An Android App would be fine.
>>>

>> https://www.screwfix.com/p/10ax-2-way-pull-cord-switch-white/70874
>>
>> Tim
>
> How do I replace the current wall switch with that?

Why would you want to replace the wall switch? It’s a two way switch. You
use the pull switch in addition to the wall switch (like a typical
hall/landing switch).

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: Remote control light switch?

<5b0b54c246charles@candehope.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=110229&group=uk.d-i-y#110229

From: char...@candehope.me.uk (charles)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 23 08:30:02 UTC
 by: charles - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 08:30 UTC

In article
Tim+ <tim.downie@gmail.com> wrote:
> David <wibble@btinternet.com> wrote:

> >> https://www.screwfix.com/p/10ax-2-way-pull-cord-switch-white/70874
> >>
> >> Tim
> >
> > How do I replace the current wall switch with that?
> >

> Why would you want to replace the wall switch? It‘s a two way switch. You
> use the pull switch in addition to the wall switch (like a typical
> hall/landing switch).

Is it a 2 way one? Why should it be? We've been told it has just live and
switchwire going to it. A 2 way one would have 2 switchwires.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England - sent from my RISC OS 4té²

Re: Remote control light switch? (or light fitting)

<ksr02sF4mjvU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=110230&group=uk.d-i-y#110230

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 08:39:56 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 08:39 UTC

Andy Burns wrote:

> David wrote:
>
>> Contemplating a remote control light switch
>
> Just get a smart bulb

Hell appears to have frozen over while I wasn't looking,
Ikea now sell B22 lamps as well as E27

<https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/tradfri-led-bulb-b22-1055-lumen-smart-wireless-dimmable-white-spectrum-globe-70517641/>

get one of those, and one of these remotes

<https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/styrbar-remote-control-smart-white-60488366>

Job done with no wiring, you can pair multiple switches if required, if
you *do* want to use your phone instead of/as well as the remote, you'd
need a hub.

Re: Remote control light switch? (or light fitting)

<ksr0k1F5cieU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=110231&group=uk.d-i-y#110231

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 08:49:05 +0000
 by: alan_m - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 08:49 UTC

On 30/11/2023 08:39, Andy Burns wrote:
> Andy Burns wrote:
>
>> David wrote:
>>
>>> Contemplating a remote control light switch
>>
>> Just get a smart bulb
>
> Hell appears to have frozen over while I wasn't looking,
> Ikea now sell B22 lamps as well as E27
>
> <https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/tradfri-led-bulb-b22-1055-lumen-smart-wireless-dimmable-white-spectrum-globe-70517641/>

The "technical information" on that page doesn't match the top level
description of the bulb.