"One day I woke up and discovered that I was in love with tripe." -- Tom Anderson

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: Remote control light switch?

SubjectAuthor
* Remote control light switch?David
+* Re: Remote control light switch?David
|+- Re: Remote control light switch?Andy Burns
|`- Re: Remote control light switch?Vir Campestris
+- Re: Remote control light switch?David Wade
+* Re: Remote control light switch?Max Demian
|`- Re: Remote control light switch?Sam Plusnet
+- Re: Remote control light switch?Owain Lastname
+- Re: Remote control light switch?Brian
+* Re: Remote control light switch?Tim+
|`* Re: Remote control light switch?David
| `* Re: Remote control light switch?Tim+
|  +- Re: Remote control light switch?charles
|  `* Re: Remote control light switch?David
|   +* Re: Remote control light switch?David Wade
|   |`* Re: Remote control light switch?Andy Burns
|   | `- Re: Remote control light switch?David Wade
|   `- Re: Remote control light switch?alan_m
+- Re: Remote control light switch?Paul
+- Re: Remote control light switch?jkn
+* Re: Remote control light switch? (or light fitting)David
|+* Re: Remote control light switch? (or light fitting)David
||+* Re: Remote control light switch? (or light fitting)Jeff Layman
|||`- Re: Remote control light switch? (or light fitting)Jeff Layman
||+- Re: Remote control light switch? (or light fitting)alan_m
||`- Re: Remote control light switch? (or light fitting)John Armstrong
|+* Re: Remote control light switch? (or light fitting)Andy Burns
||`* Re: Remote control light switch? (or light fitting)Andy Burns
|| `* Re: Remote control light switch? (or light fitting)alan_m
||  `* Re: Remote control light switch? (or light fitting)Andy Burns
||   `* Re: Remote control light switch? (or light fitting)Andy Burns
||    `* Re: Remote control light switch? (or light fitting)Andy Burns
||     `- Re: Remote control light switch? (or light fitting)David
|+- Re: Remote control light switch? (or light fitting)Nick Odell
|+- Re: Remote control light switch? (or light fitting)Bob Eager
|+- Re: Remote control light switch? (or light fitting)nothanks
|`- Re: Remote control light switch? (or light fitting)Mike Humphrey
+- Re: Remote control light switch?RJH
+* Re: Remote control light switch?Tricky Dicky
|+* Re: Remote control light switch?Jeff Layman
||`- Re: Remote control light switch?Tricky Dicky
|`- Re: Remote control light switch?Tricky Dicky
+- Re: Remote control light switch?Brian Gaff
+* Re: Remote control light switch?Jethro_uk
|`* Re: Remote control light switch?David
| `- Re: Remote control light switch?Andy Burns
+* Re: Remote control light switch?John Rumm
|+* Re: Remote control light switch?alan_m
||`* Re: Remote control light switch?John Rumm
|| `* Re: Remote control light switch?alan_m
||  `- Re: Remote control light switch?John Rumm
|`* Re: Remote control light switch?Jeff Layman
| +* Re: Remote control light switch?David Wade
| |`- Re: Remote control light switch?Paul
| +- Re: Remote control light switch?maus
| `- Re: Remote control light switch?John Rumm
`- Re: Remote control light switch?Bob Eager

Pages:123
Re: Remote control light switch? (or light fitting)

<ksr1jdF4mjvU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=110232&group=uk.d-i-y#110232

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Remote control light switch? (or light fitting)
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 09:05:48 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 09:05 UTC

alan_m wrote:

> Andy Burns wrote:
>
>> <https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/tradfri-led-bulb-b22-1055-lumen-smart-wireless-dimmable-white-spectrum-globe-70517641/>
>
> The "technical information" on that page doesn't match the top level
> description of the bulb.

Do you mean the "dimmable: no"?
I think that means it can't work with dimmer switches.

But it also says "wirelessly dimmable:yes"
with its internal dimmer

Re: Remote control light switch? (or light fitting)

<ksr204F4mjvU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=110233&group=uk.d-i-y#110233

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 09:12:35 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 09:12 UTC

Andy Burns wrote:

> alan_m wrote:
>
>> Andy Burns wrote:
>>
>>> <https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/tradfri-led-bulb-b22-1055-lumen-smart-wireless-dimmable-white-spectrum-globe-70517641/>
>>
>> The "technical information" on that page doesn't match the top level
>> description of the bulb.
>
> Do you mean the "dimmable: no"?
> I think that means it can't work with dimmer switches.
>
> But it also says "wirelessly dimmable:yes"
> with its internal dimmer

The item number 705.176.41 appears in the carton photo on amazon, the
icons on the carton say remote dimmable, warm/cool colour changeable,
the photo shows bayonet ... seems as described.

Re: Remote control light switch? (or light fitting)

<ksr23eF4n2hU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=110234&group=uk.d-i-y#110234

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 09:14:22 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 09:14 UTC

Andy Burns wrote:

> The item number 705.176.41 appears in the carton photo on amazon, the
> icons on the carton say remote dimmable, warm/cool colour changeable,
> the photo shows bayonet ... seems as described.

missing URL! <https://amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BXT5P3Y9>

Re: Remote control light switch? (or light fitting)

<ksr290F5lgkU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=110235&group=uk.d-i-y#110235

From: jja...@blueyonder.co.uk (John Armstrong)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 09:17:18 +0000
 by: John Armstrong - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 09:17 UTC

On 29/11/2023 21:35, David wrote:

> There seem to be loads of LED light fitting replacements which come with a
> remote control.
> There is nothing to say that they won't just fit in standard wiring - a
> ceiling rose (my very rusty memory) should have power in plus switched in
> out.
> Has anyone used one of these?
>
> Most seem to be garish Chinese and may not have replaceable bulbs.
>
> Cheers
>

> Dave R

I have two of these. Very easy to fit. No new wiring required. Very
small battery powered remote control which allows on, off, dimming and
colour temperature change. I got mine from the South American river
company. Doubtless other suppliers are available.

Re: Remote control light switch?

<uk9lko$1afoe$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=110240&group=uk.d-i-y#110240

From: tricky.d...@sky.com (Tricky Dicky)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Remote control light switch?
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 09:46:00 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:DPZ1jER/alud4mWteOoyhRQ5rLk=
 by: Tricky Dicky - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 09:46 UTC

David <wibble@btinternet.com> wrote:
> Contemplating a remote control light switch (possibly with dimmer) for the
> bedroom so I don't have to get my lazy arse out of bed to work it.
>
> I see Screwfix list some which it claims work with Alexa, Google Home,
> Androis App, IOS App.
>
> Does anyone have recommendations?
>
> I'm not keen on Alexa as it seems to listen all the time.
> An Android App would be fine.
>
> Cheers
>

> Dave R

Have you considered something like the Quinetic system. Totally wireless no
need for internet or WiFi. You wire in a receiver at the rosette pair any
number of switches to the receiver and you have remote control. The
switches do not need mounting on the wall and could simply be mounted in a
portable case

https://www.quinetic.co.uk/

Richard

Re: Remote control light switch? (or light fitting)

<ksr6imF7okbU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=110259&group=uk.d-i-y#110259

From: notha...@aolbin.com
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 10:30:48 +0000
 by: notha...@aolbin.com - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 10:30 UTC

On 29/11/2023 21:13, David wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Nov 2023 16:02:53 +0000, David wrote:
>
>> Contemplating a remote control light switch (possibly with dimmer) for
>> the bedroom so I don't have to get my lazy arse out of bed to work it.
>>
>> I see Screwfix list some which it claims work with Alexa, Google Home,
>> Androis App, IOS App.
>>
>> Does anyone have recommendations?
>>
>> I'm not keen on Alexa as it seems to listen all the time.
>> An Android App would be fine.
>
> Just realised that my original plan to replace the wall switch with a
> remote control switch has one major flaw.
> Most (single way) light switches are one wire in and one wire out.
> They just switch the live (I think) from the light fitting.
> As such current will only flow with the switch turned on.
.... snipped

> Cheers
>

> Dave R

Lack of a Neutral at the switch isn't a problem, and it's easy to
convert to 2-way switching. Use the switch to operate a relay (in an
appropriate box, in the ceiling void or somewhere) with c/o contacts and
use these for whatever you choose as the other 2-way switch. I did this
a short while ago when SWMBO wanted to change the switching of a light
in an area that we had recently decorated - simple and avoided having to
chase and redecorate.

Re: Remote control light switch?

<uk9pjp$1b28u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=110267&group=uk.d-i-y#110267

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 10:53:41 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 10:53 UTC

Well, it depends what you are calling listening. Locally, yes it has open
mikes, only if theallowed voice print of the wake word used is heard is the
audio sent to the servers for processing. This also happens on all the
assistants, google Siri and bixby etc.
Obviously, they can all be configured so the press of a button wakes them
instead, but if you really are lazy, you would not want to reach out to
press it.. ahem

If any of the switches are actually Amazon branded you can if getting from
Amazon, get them set up on your account, meaning its just the wifi details
it needs from the alexa app.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"David" <wibble@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> Contemplating a remote control light switch (possibly with dimmer) for the
> bedroom so I don't have to get my lazy arse out of bed to work it.
>
> I see Screwfix list some which it claims work with Alexa, Google Home,
> Androis App, IOS App.
>
> Does anyone have recommendations?
>
> I'm not keen on Alexa as it seems to listen all the time.
> An Android App would be fine.
>
> Cheers
>

> Dave R
>

> --
> AMD FX-6300 in GA-990X-Gaming SLI-CF running Windows 10 x64

Re: Remote control light switch?

<uka0k1$1bqu8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=110293&group=uk.d-i-y#110293

From: Jef...@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 12:53:21 +0000
 by: Jeff Layman - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 12:53 UTC

On 30/11/2023 09:46, Tricky Dicky wrote:
> David <wibble@btinternet.com> wrote:
>> Contemplating a remote control light switch (possibly with dimmer) for the
>> bedroom so I don't have to get my lazy arse out of bed to work it.
>>
>> I see Screwfix list some which it claims work with Alexa, Google Home,
>> Androis App, IOS App.
>>
>> Does anyone have recommendations?
>>
>> I'm not keen on Alexa as it seems to listen all the time.
>> An Android App would be fine.
>>
>> Cheers
>>

>> Dave R
>>

> Have you considered something like the Quinetic system. Totally wireless no
> need for internet or WiFi. You wire in a receiver at the rosette pair any
> number of switches to the receiver and you have remote control. The
> switches do not need mounting on the wall and could simply be mounted in a
> portable case
>
> https://www.quinetic.co.uk/

I'd thought about that too, but the OP in a reply to his OP stated "I
don't fancy channelling out the wall and also lifting the floor in the
loft to upgrade the wiring."

You'd need to get to the loft wiring for the receiver.

--

Jeff

Re: Remote control light switch?

<uka3i3$1ckaf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=110301&group=uk.d-i-y#110301

From: tricky.d...@sky.com (Tricky Dicky)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 13:43:31 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:CY68ESZeiAI11FEMZRFLBlLE/i8=
 by: Tricky Dicky - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 13:43 UTC

Jeff Layman <Jeff@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> On 30/11/2023 09:46, Tricky Dicky wrote:
>> David <wibble@btinternet.com> wrote:
>>> Contemplating a remote control light switch (possibly with dimmer) for the
>>> bedroom so I don't have to get my lazy arse out of bed to work it.
>>>
>>> I see Screwfix list some which it claims work with Alexa, Google Home,
>>> Androis App, IOS App.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have recommendations?
>>>
>>> I'm not keen on Alexa as it seems to listen all the time.
>>> An Android App would be fine.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>

>>> Dave R
>>>

>> Have you considered something like the Quinetic system. Totally wireless no
>> need for internet or WiFi. You wire in a receiver at the rosette pair any
>> number of switches to the receiver and you have remote control. The
>> switches do not need mounting on the wall and could simply be mounted in a
>> portable case
>>
>> https://www.quinetic.co.uk/
>
> I'd thought about that too, but the OP in a reply to his OP stated "I
> don't fancy channelling out the wall and also lifting the floor in the
> loft to upgrade the wiring."
>
> You'd need to get to the loft wiring for the receiver.

The device only needs the cables going to the rosette minus the switched
live conductors so if there is enough slack could be wired from below and
then pushed into the ceiling void.

The RF receiving controller would only require a hole big enough to pass a
44mm X 38mm object through and it could be possible to cover that sort of
hole replacing the rosette.

Richard

Re: Remote control light switch?

<uka42g$1cmot$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=110302&group=uk.d-i-y#110302

From: tricky.d...@sky.com (Tricky Dicky)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 13:52:16 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:tshILFe7ayXSnwXevZlO8aUkBMg=
 by: Tricky Dicky - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 13:52 UTC

Tricky Dicky <tricky.dicky@sky.com> wrote:
> David <wibble@btinternet.com> wrote:
>> Contemplating a remote control light switch (possibly with dimmer) for the
>> bedroom so I don't have to get my lazy arse out of bed to work it.
>>
>> I see Screwfix list some which it claims work with Alexa, Google Home,
>> Androis App, IOS App.
>>
>> Does anyone have recommendations?
>>
>> I'm not keen on Alexa as it seems to listen all the time.
>> An Android App would be fine.
>>
>> Cheers
>>

>> Dave R
>>

> Have you considered something like the Quinetic system. Totally wireless no
> need for internet or WiFi. You wire in a receiver at the rosette pair any
> number of switches to the receiver and you have remote control. The
> switches do not need mounting on the wall and could simply be mounted in a
> portable case
>
> https://www.quinetic.co.uk/
>
> Richard

Correction there is a maximum of 10 switches to any receiver should be
enough to satisfy any domestic requirement and I have noticed they have a
fob version of the switch so even more convenient.

Richard

Re: Remote control light switch?

<ksrsmlF433fU10@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=110317&group=uk.d-i-y#110317

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 30 Nov 2023 16:48:21 GMT
 by: David - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 16:48 UTC

On Thu, 30 Nov 2023 07:20:19 +0000, Tim+ wrote:

> David <wibble@btinternet.com> wrote:

>>> https://www.screwfix.com/p/10ax-2-way-pull-cord-switch-white/70874
>>>
>>> Tim
>>
>> How do I replace the current wall switch with that?
>>

> Why would you want to replace the wall switch? It’s a two way switch.
> You use the pull switch in addition to the wall switch (like a typical
> hall/landing switch).
>
> Tim

Because I don't want to fit a new switch in a new location, which involves
lifting the loft flooring to access the wiring.
I should have mentioned "no new wiring" in the original post but hadn't
got that far in my thinking.
I was originally just thinking that you could get a smart light switch to
replace the dumb light switch as a simple operation.
Like replacing an on/off switch with a dimmer.

Cheers

Dave R

--
AMD FX-6300 in GA-990X-Gaming SLI-CF running Windows 10 x64

Re: Remote control light switch? (or light fitting)

<ksrt4pF433fU11@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=110321&group=uk.d-i-y#110321

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 30 Nov 2023 16:55:53 GMT
 by: David - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 16:55 UTC

On Thu, 30 Nov 2023 09:14:22 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

> Andy Burns wrote:
>
>> The item number 705.176.41 appears in the carton photo on amazon, the
>> icons on the carton say remote dimmable, warm/cool colour changeable,
>> the photo shows bayonet ... seems as described.
>
> missing URL! <https://amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BXT5P3Y9>

That looks interesting.
Although I don't really need 4.
Also a little bemused by a 3rd party selling Ikea products.

No Ikea within easy striking distance, but they do ship.

Cheers

Dave R

--
AMD FX-6300 in GA-990X-Gaming SLI-CF running Windows 10 x64

Re: Remote control light switch?

<ukaf3p$1e5ak$6@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=110324&group=uk.d-i-y#110324

From: vir.camp...@invalid.invalid (Vir Campestris)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 17:00:41 +0000
 by: Vir Campestris - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 17:00 UTC

On 29/11/2023 16:09, David wrote:

>> I'm not keen on Alexa as it seems to listen all the time.
>> An Android App would be fine.

I just happen to know a fair bit about how Alexa works.

The chip inside the device listens for the word "Alexa" all the time. If
it thinks it heard it it starts streaming audio. So it does listen all
the time, but only streams when it needs to. Otherwise the cost of the
servers and bandwidth would be prohibitive.

And there's a hard link between the mute light and the microphone amp.

Andy

Re: Remote control light switch?

<ukaf6u$1e14h$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=110327&group=uk.d-i-y#110327

From: g4u...@dave.invalid (David Wade)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 17:02:21 +0000
 by: David Wade - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 17:02 UTC

On 30/11/2023 16:48, David wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Nov 2023 07:20:19 +0000, Tim+ wrote:
>
>> David <wibble@btinternet.com> wrote:

>>> How do I replace the current wall switch with that?
>>>

>> Why would you want to replace the wall switch? It’s a two way switch.
>> You use the pull switch in addition to the wall switch (like a typical
>> hall/landing switch).
>>
>> Tim
>
> Because I don't want to fit a new switch in a new location, which involves
> lifting the loft flooring to access the wiring.
> I should have mentioned "no new wiring" in the original post but hadn't
> got that far in my thinking.
> I was originally just thinking that you could get a smart light switch to
> replace the dumb light switch as a simple operation.
> Like replacing an on/off switch with a dimmer.

As you surmised that needs a neutral in the switch, but many have that
these days.

My son bought Philips HUE bulbs where you simply leave the lights on and
they are controlled over Bluetooth by a phone ap, a Philips hue switch,
which uses a coin cell for power or a home automation product e.g. Alexa

I suggested these as they have an extremely low standby current so are
not expensive to run

Dave

> Cheers
>

> Dave R

Re: Remote control light switch?

<ksrtn5Ff7e6U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=110329&group=uk.d-i-y#110329

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 17:05:38 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 17:05 UTC

David Wade wrote:

> My son bought Philips HUE bulbs

that's an expensive system to buy into ...

Re: Remote control light switch?

<kss7i4Fh2vsU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=110361&group=uk.d-i-y#110361

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 19:53:40 +0000
 by: alan_m - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 19:53 UTC

On 30/11/2023 16:48, David wrote:

> I was originally just thinking that you could get a smart light switch to
> replace the dumb light switch as a simple operation.
> Like replacing an on/off switch with a dimmer.

You may find that any remote facility is built into the light fitting or
bulb rather than the wall switch.

Re: Remote control light switch?

<ukc8b8$1qc3h$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=110388&group=uk.d-i-y#110388

From: g4u...@dave.invalid (David Wade)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2023 09:17:27 +0000
 by: David Wade - Fri, 1 Dec 2023 09:17 UTC

On 30/11/2023 17:05, Andy Burns wrote:
> David Wade wrote:
>
>> My son bought Philips HUE bulbs
>
> that's an expensive system to buy into ...

It is, but its very cheap to run, he doesn't need an app, it was easy to
set up, no dependency on WiFi, especially faffing with 2g/5g WiFi an
issue which seems to plauge many other devices

Dave

Re: Remote control light switch?

<ukcb1d$37il4$11@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=110397&group=uk.d-i-y#110397

From: jethro...@hotmailbin.com (Jethro_uk)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2023 10:03:25 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jethro_uk - Fri, 1 Dec 2023 10:03 UTC

On Wed, 29 Nov 2023 16:02:53 +0000, David wrote:

> Contemplating a remote control light switch (possibly with dimmer) for
> the bedroom so I don't have to get my lazy arse out of bed to work it.
>
> I see Screwfix list some which it claims work with Alexa, Google Home,
> Androis App, IOS App.
>
> Does anyone have recommendations?
>
> I'm not keen on Alexa as it seems to listen all the time.
> An Android App would be fine.
>
> Cheers
>

> Dave R

Haven't RTFT but a solution might be "smart " light *bulbs* ? It's how I
made our lounge remote friendly.

Re: Remote control light switch?

<ukceh7$1r8ev$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=110411&group=uk.d-i-y#110411

From: see.my.s...@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2023 11:03:02 +0000
 by: John Rumm - Fri, 1 Dec 2023 11:03 UTC

On 29/11/2023 16:02, David wrote:
> Contemplating a remote control light switch (possibly with dimmer) for the
> bedroom so I don't have to get my lazy arse out of bed to work it.
>
> I see Screwfix list some which it claims work with Alexa, Google Home,
> Androis App, IOS App.
>
> Does anyone have recommendations?
>
> I'm not keen on Alexa as it seems to listen all the time.
> An Android App would be fine.

How about:

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/VLIJDQI101S.html

No app required, no cloud, no internet or even network.

Just point a IR remote control at it. You can teach it a spare button
from any remote, or they sell a specific one that also lets it play a
few more tricks - like remembering specific lighting settings on presets:

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/VLYRE8.html

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: Remote control light switch?

<ksu34jFoiiaU8@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=110421&group=uk.d-i-y#110421

From: news0...@eager.cx (Bob Eager)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 1 Dec 2023 12:50:27 GMT
 by: Bob Eager - Fri, 1 Dec 2023 12:50 UTC

On Wed, 29 Nov 2023 16:02:53 +0000, David wrote:

> Contemplating a remote control light switch (possibly with dimmer) for
> the bedroom so I don't have to get my lazy arse out of bed to work it.
>
> I see Screwfix list some which it claims work with Alexa, Google Home,
> Androis App, IOS App.
>
> Does anyone have recommendations?
>
> I'm not keen on Alexa as it seems to listen all the time.
> An Android App would be fine.

One of these (or two if you want on-off):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B07B7NXV4R/?

Re: Remote control light switch?

<ksu3k7F4mf2U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=110423&group=uk.d-i-y#110423

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2023 12:58:47 +0000
 by: alan_m - Fri, 1 Dec 2023 12:58 UTC

On 01/12/2023 11:03, John Rumm wrote:
> On 29/11/2023 16:02, David wrote:
>> Contemplating a remote control light switch (possibly with dimmer) for
>> the
>> bedroom so I don't have to get my lazy arse out of bed to work it.
>>
>> I see Screwfix list some which it claims work with Alexa, Google Home,
>> Androis App, IOS App.
>>
>> Does anyone have recommendations?
>>
>> I'm not keen on Alexa as it seems to listen all the time.
>> An Android App would be fine.
>
> How about:
>
> https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/VLIJDQI101S.html
>
> No app required, no cloud, no internet or even network.
>
> Just point a IR remote control at it. You can teach it a spare button
> from any remote, or they sell a specific one that also lets it play a
> few more tricks - like remembering specific lighting settings on presets:
>
> https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/VLYRE8.html

You may have to be careful with the type of bulb or include another
component in the lighting circuit. With just a (LED) bulb it relies on
some current flowing between live and neutral to power the switch. With
many LED bulbs a small current may/will cause the bulb to glow when the
switch is in the off state.

Re: Remote control light switch?

<ksu82eF433fU12@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=110426&group=uk.d-i-y#110426

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 1 Dec 2023 14:14:38 GMT
 by: David - Fri, 1 Dec 2023 14:14 UTC

On Fri, 01 Dec 2023 10:03:25 +0000, Jethro_uk wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Nov 2023 16:02:53 +0000, David wrote:
>
>> Contemplating a remote control light switch (possibly with dimmer) for
>> the bedroom so I don't have to get my lazy arse out of bed to work it.
>>
>> I see Screwfix list some which it claims work with Alexa, Google Home,
>> Androis App, IOS App.
>>
>> Does anyone have recommendations?
>>
>> I'm not keen on Alexa as it seems to listen all the time.
>> An Android App would be fine.
>>
>> Cheers
>>

>> Dave R
>
> Haven't RTFT but a solution might be "smart " light *bulbs* ? It's how I
> made our lounge remote friendly.

That seems to be the way things are going.
Minimal intervention.

Cheers

Dave R

--
AMD FX-6300 in GA-990X-Gaming SLI-CF running Windows 10 x64

Re: Remote control light switch?

<ksu8edF5veqU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=110428&group=uk.d-i-y#110428

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2023 14:21:02 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 1 Dec 2023 14:21 UTC

David wrote:

> Jethro_uk wrote:
>
>> a solution might be "smart " light *bulbs* ? It's how I
>> made our lounge remote friendly.
>
> That seems to be the way things are going.
> Minimal intervention.

Depends if you have wife/kids around, but getting them to *NOT* turn off
the existing switch maybe an issue ...

Re: Remote control light switch?

<ukd14d$1u9an$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=110437&group=uk.d-i-y#110437

From: see.my.s...@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2023 16:20:29 +0000
 by: John Rumm - Fri, 1 Dec 2023 16:20 UTC

On 01/12/2023 12:58, alan_m wrote:
> On 01/12/2023 11:03, John Rumm wrote:
>> On 29/11/2023 16:02, David wrote:
>>> Contemplating a remote control light switch (possibly with dimmer)
>>> for the
>>> bedroom so I don't have to get my lazy arse out of bed to work it.
>>>
>>> I see Screwfix list some which it claims work with Alexa, Google Home,
>>> Androis App, IOS App.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have recommendations?
>>>
>>> I'm not keen on Alexa as it seems to listen all the time.
>>> An Android App would be fine.
>>
>> How about:
>>
>> https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/VLIJDQI101S.html
>>
>> No app required, no cloud, no internet or even network.
>>
>> Just point a IR remote control at it. You can teach it a spare button
>> from any remote, or they sell a specific one that also lets it play a
>> few more tricks - like remembering specific lighting settings on presets:
>>
>> https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/VLYRE8.html
>>

> You may have to be careful with the type of bulb or include another
> component in the lighting circuit. With just a (LED) bulb it relies on
> some current flowing between live and neutral to power the switch. With
> many LED bulbs a small current may/will cause the bulb to glow when the
> switch is in the off state.

That is a known problem with some "active" switches that need to draw
power without the benefit of a neutral connection. However those don't
seem to cause a problem IME - and I have several, all driving LEDs and
have not seen an issue.

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: Remote control light switch?

<ksut7tFahmkU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=110460&group=uk.d-i-y#110460

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2023 20:15:57 +0000
 by: alan_m - Fri, 1 Dec 2023 20:15 UTC

On 01/12/2023 16:20, John Rumm wrote:

> That is a known problem with some "active" switches that need to draw
> power without the benefit of a neutral connection. However those don't
> seem to cause a problem IME - and I have several, all driving LEDs and
> have not seen an issue.

It is a manufacturer's warning in the fitting instructions for that device.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: Remote control light switch?