Advice from an old carpenter: measure twice, saw once.

aus+uk / uk.rec.motorcycles / Wot I did on my holidays (long and perhaps dull)

SubjectAuthor
* Wot I did on my holidays (long and perhaps dull)Champ
+* Wot I did on my holidays (long and perhaps dull)wessie
|+* Wot I did on my holidays (long and perhaps dull)geoffC
||`* Wot I did on my holidays (long and perhaps dull)wessie
|| +* Wot I did on my holidays (long and perhaps dull)siwilson
|| |+- Wot I did on my holidays (long and perhaps dull)Pipl
|| |`- Wot I did on my holidays (long and perhaps dull)petrolcan
|| `* Wot I did on my holidays (long and perhaps dull)geoffC
||  `- Wot I did on my holidays (long and perhaps dull)wessie
|`- Wot I did on my holidays (long and perhaps dull)Mark Olson
+- Wot I did on my holidays (long and perhaps dull)Colin Irvine
+- Wot I did on my holidays (long and perhaps dull)YTC#1
+- Wot I did on my holidays (long and perhaps dull)Pipl
+* Wot I did on my holidays (long and perhaps dull)WUN
|`* Wot I did on my holidays (long and perhaps dull)Champ
| +* Wot I did on my holidays (long and perhaps dull)WUN
| |+- Wot I did on my holidays (long and perhaps dull)wessie
| |+* Wot I did on my holidays (long and perhaps dull)sweller
| ||+* Wot I did on my holidays (long and perhaps dull)Stephen Packer
| ||`- Wot I did on my holidays (long and perhaps dull)Champ
| |`* Wot I did on my holidays (long and perhaps dull)Champ
| | `- Wot I did on my holidays (long and perhaps dull)Pipl
| `- Wot I did on my holidays (long and perhaps dull)ChrisND @UKRM
+- Wot I did on my holidays (long and perhaps dull)Boots
+- Wot I did on my holidays (long and perhaps dull)Dave Brown
+* Wot I did on my holidays (long and perhaps dull)ogden
|+- Wot I did on my holidays (long and perhaps dull)YTC#1
|`* Wot I did on my holidays (long and perhaps dull)Champ
| `- Wot I did on my holidays (long and perhaps dull)ogden
+* Wot I did on my holidays (long and perhaps dull)Champ
|+* Wot I did on my holidays (long and perhaps dull)YTC#1
||+* Wot I did on my holidays (long and perhaps dull)Higgins
|||`* Wot I did on my holidays (long and perhaps dull)Sqirrel99
||| +- Wot I did on my holidays (long and perhaps dull)ChrisND @UKRM
||| +- Wot I did on my holidays (long and perhaps dull)YTC#1
||| `* Wot I did on my holidays (long and perhaps dull)Mark Roberts
|||  `- Wot I did on my holidays (long and perhaps dull)Champ
||+- Wot I did on my holidays (long and perhaps dull)wessie
||`* Wot I did on my holidays (long and perhaps dull)Champ
|| `* Wot I did on my holidays (long and perhaps dull)Ace
||  `* Wot I did on my holidays (long and perhaps dull)Colin Irvine
||   `- Wot I did on my holidays (long and perhaps dull)YTC#1
|`* Wot I did on my holidays (long and perhaps dull)Ace
| +* Wot I did on my holidays (long and perhaps dull)Mark Olson
| |`* Wot I did on my holidays (long and perhaps dull)Ace
| | +* Wot I did on my holidays (long and perhaps dull)Mark Olson
| | |+* Wot I did on my holidays (long and perhaps dull)Stephen Packer
| | |+- Wot I did on my holidays (long and perhaps dull)sweller
| | |+* Wot I did on my holidays (long and perhaps dull)Mike Fleming
| | |`* Wot I did on my holidays (long and perhaps dull)Turby
| | | `- Wot I did on my holidays (long and perhaps dull)Mark Olson
| | `- Wot I did on my holidays (long and perhaps dull)Sqirrel99
| +* Wot I did on my holidays (long and perhaps dull)Colin Irvine
| |`- Wot I did on my holidays (long and perhaps dull)Mark Olson
| `- Wot I did on my holidays (long and perhaps dull)Champ
`- Wot I did on my holidays (long and perhaps dull)Ben Blaney

Pages:1234
Wot I did on my holidays (long and perhaps dull)

<t7mkehph06qionghfieqidu99l4t6nqv6u@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11073&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#11073

From: nea...@champ.org.uk (Champ)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: Wot I did on my holidays (long and perhaps dull)
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2022 13:19:05 +0100
 by: Champ - Wed, 3 Aug 2022 12:19 UTC

Here's a quick write-up of my euro-trip last month

TL;DR: it was bloody great!

Overview: a tour across France & Switzerland on the H2 SX, with the
missus (henceforth referenced as V) on the back. Riding days were to
be no more than 200 miles each, typically 100 miles before lunch, and
100 after.

Day 1: IoM->UK
Got the morning boat, disembarking just before midday, and did a quick
hour of the M6 to get south of Manchester, before heading off into the
Peak District. Dry, but not particularly warm. Stopped for a nice
lunch in Ashbourne. Then used M40 around Brum, and finally got onto
the Cotswolds roads that I grew up on. The sun came out, the
temperature went up, and a big grin spread across my face. The pace
edged up slightly, and even V said she enjoyed it

Day 2 & 3: catching up with friends in Oxfordshire

Day 4: Oxfordshire->France
Slogged along motorways to Dover, for a 2:30pm cross-channel sailing
with Irish Ferries, which I'd booked cos it was very cheap - £34 for
bike & 2 pax. Then I found out why it was so cheap :-( 2:30
sailing was cancelled, and we were put on the 4pm. Which was then
delayed 90+ mins. We ate on the boat, worried about finding somewhere
to eat on the French side (with time diff) after finding & checking
into hotel etc. Food was poor, as was most of the onboard experience.

Found our chain hotel in Calais fairly easily, got changed and walked
10 mins to find bars etc. Whole place was very quiet, which was odd
considering the TdF was due to arrive the next day

Day 5: Calais->St Dizier
Ticked off 100+ miles on the autoroute, then got onto the N roads and
meandered to St Dizier (just picked on the map as being 'about the
right distance'). Nice small independent hotel, pretty town, sun was
out, plenty of places to eat and drink. Welcome to France

Day 6: St Dizier to Alsace
Had arranged to meet Ace and Jude at his French house. Had an almost
perfect ride, across deserted beautiful rolling terrain, until the
last 30~40 miles from Belfort where I got lost multiple times. It
might be time for me finally to join the satnav generation :-(

Day 7: chilling chez Ace

Day 8: Alsace->Morgins
Across Switzerland to Ace's mountain fastness :-) Used a beautifully
quiet road through the Jura to cross into .CH, with not a border guard
in sight. Used some moderately busy A roads until Fribourg until I
got bored and hopped on the motorway. Without a carnet - what a
criminal! Got off at Bulle, a took a picture-postcard mountain road
to Aigle. Stopped for lunch too late (13:45!), but they made us two
croque monsieurs anyway. Sat with a beer in the sun looking at the
mountains was a good part of what I'd planned for this trip

Day 9 to 10
Chilling chez Ace (alternative venue), including a bit of light
walking in the mountains, and watching the TdF come through on Day 12

Day 11: Morgins to Annonay
Headed due west, out of the mountains, along the south of Lake Geneva,
and then across the Rhone. Once down from altitude, the temperature's
quickly got very high. By the time we got to our destination, we were
a bit frazzled, despite shedding as many layers as acceptable for
riding a motorcycle at 70~90mph. Nice hotel on the main square with
<hurrah!> air-con in the room. We walked round checking out
restaurants and bars, went back to shower and chang for dinner and
went out to eat.

And then something happened to me that has never happened before! All
the restaurants in town were either fully booked or shut. It almost
looked as if we'd be going to bed hungry, until we finally found a
chinese/thai takeaway, with a little bar and stools to eat at. It was
a Mondat night, but still

Day 12: Annonay to Figeac
To beat the heat we made an early start and were on the road by
8:30ish. I love this part of France, which is a) beautiful and b)
seems to be deserted. On some of the N / D roads we maybe saw one car
every 5 mins. Had a lovely salad lunch at a typical little
bar/restaurant, in a typical little French town, all so typical I
can't remember anything else about them.

By the time we arrived in Figeac, in the early afternoon, it was still
~40 degrees. Thankfully, we'd booked a small independant B&B/chambre
d'hote which <drum roll> had a pool! Getting into the water was
bliss. Figeac was as pretty as I remembered

Day 13: Figeac->Dordogne (~20km south of Bergerac)
Visiting old old friend H (who I knew when I was at school!) and his
family. Again, made another early start, and the shorter distance
meant we arrived in time for lunch. Great to see my old friends
again, for the first time since covid

Day 14 to 16:
Chilling with friends (who have a pool!), including watching the
frankly brilliant Bastille Day fireworks at Bergerac. I love that
the French still celebrate killing their aristocracy, over 200 years
later. Would that the British could catch up

Day 17: Dordogne to St Jean de Luz
Fairly boring roads, but we just wanted to get there before it got too
hot (we didn't, but then it was too hot by about 10am)

Day 18 & 19: chilling at St Jean de Luz
V and I discovered this little resort town in 2019, and loved it, so
decided to revisit on this trip. And we still loved it just as much.
I'm not a beach holiday kinda guy, but for a day or two it's good, and
the weather was hot hot hot, and the sea was beautiful.

Day 20: St Jean de Luz->Santander
We crossed into Spain and .... it rained! In fact, it pissed it down
for short while. We were on a tight-ish schedule, needing to be in
Santander by 1pm, so used the motorway all the way, but it's a twisty
and interesting motorway, so no real hardship. The rain stopped, and
the sun came out, and all was good again. We arrived in time for a
beer and something to eat at the ferry port, before boarding the
Galicia for the trip back to Portsmouth. We'd spent extra and got a
'suite' cabin with a big external window and a door onto an outside
deck. Almost felt like a cruise :-)

I thought I'd cured my tendency to seasickness, but the gentle
side-to-side roll on the mild atlantic swell definitely put me off my
dinner on the ferry, which was a shame

Day 21: Santander->Portsmouth->London
As far as Portsmouth the captain of the Galicia made all the serious
decisions. The swell had changed or subsided, so didn't feel crook
today.
On disembarking and queing to get back into Brexit Britain, we then
hit the road up to V's mum's place in south London, arriving about 9pm

Day 22: London->Isle of Man
Left V at her mums for the weekend - she was flying home on Sunday.
I was up and away by 9am, and flogged round the M25 and up the M1. I
got off this just before Derby, and headed back across the peaks -
Ashbourne, Leek, Macclesfield. The weather was iffy, and there was
loads of traffic, including trucks on the A roads. Not what I wanted.
By the time I got to the M6 I was running late, but thought I'd just
blast it up to Heysham no trouble. Wrong. The M6 was 3~4 lanes of
stationery or very slow traffic for 50 miles. I broke a good
percentage of the highway code trying to get to the ferry in time, but
failed, missing it by 10~15 mins. Shit. Welcome to Brexit Britain.
So I booked on the evening boat from Liverpool,. I had 3 hours, so
went south through Lancaster, and used the A roads, through Preston.
Which, it turns out, is a pretty big city nowadays! Who knew? :-)
By now I'd had enough, and just wanted to get home.

Which, after an uneventful crossing, I did. Home Sweet Home

This trip wasn't perfect, but it was really really bloody good.

--
Champ
neal at champ dot org dot uk

I don't know, but I been told
You never slow down, you never grow old

Re: Wot I did on my holidays (long and perhaps dull)

<XnsAEE89B2C7177Fwtymmmsas@88.198.57.247>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11074&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#11074

From: willnotw...@tesco.net (wessie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: Re: Wot I did on my holidays (long and perhaps dull)
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2022 14:15:16 -0000 (UTC)
 by: wessie - Wed, 3 Aug 2022 14:15 UTC

Champ <neal@champ.org.uk> wrote in news:t7mkehph06qionghfieqidu99l4t6nqv6u@
4ax.com:

> Here's a quick write-up of my euro-trip last month

[snip]
> This trip wasn't perfect, but it was really really bloody good.

Nice trip. I must visit A&J again some time.

Ogden will be disappointed you went for Chinese rather than a French Taco
in Annonay.

Some great roads from Annonay to Figeac. Hope you found Puy Mary north of
Aurillac. Spectacular scenery.

As for the ship, those posh cabins are the worst for making you wobbly.
Being up high & wide they move around more. Inner cabins just above the car
decks are best if you don't have sea legs.

I'm doing Plymouth to Santander next month. Can't wait. Will be mostly in
Spain for 2 weeks, apart from one night near St Jean de Pied.

Re: Wot I did on my holidays (long and perhaps dull)

<6i1leht1g1uak9vtoq5v37s028o1bhni75@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11075&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#11075

From: loo...@colinandpat.co.uk (Colin Irvine)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2022 15:30:26 +0100
 by: Colin Irvine - Wed, 3 Aug 2022 14:30 UTC

On Wed, 03 Aug 2022 13:19:05 +0100, Champ <neal@champ.org.uk> wrote:

>Here's a quick write-up of my euro-trip last month
>
>This trip wasn't perfect, but it was really really bloody good.

As was the write-up. Looking forward to getting over there again.

--
Colin Irvine
FJR1300A

Re: Wot I did on my holidays (long and perhaps dull)

<tce2lt$29uet$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11076&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#11076

From: bdp...@ytc1-spambin.co.uk (YTC#1)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2022 16:02:21 +0100
 by: YTC#1 - Wed, 3 Aug 2022 15:02 UTC

On 03/08/2022 13:19, Champ wrote:
> Here's a quick write-up of my euro-trip last month
>
> TL;DR: it was bloody great!

Good :-)

--
Bruce Porter
"The internet is a huge and diverse community but mainly friendly"

Re: Wot I did on my holidays (long and perhaps dull)

<fvcleh12p2d5bqug2ook1310c3kvbbtgk6@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11078&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#11078

From: plusc...@live.co.uk (Pipl)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2022 18:46:00 +0100
 by: Pipl - Wed, 3 Aug 2022 17:46 UTC

On Wed, 03 Aug 2022 13:19:05 +0100, Champ <neal@champ.org.uk> wrote:

>Here's a quick write-up of my euro-trip last month
>
>TL;DR: it was bloody great!

Nice.

I really must get my finger out and do a French trip on the Guzzi. And
I have a Satnav.

--

-Pip

Re: Wot I did on my holidays (long and perhaps dull)

<tceici$2e4sr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11079&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#11079

From: me...@home.nl (geoffC)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2022 19:30:27 -0000 (UTC)
 by: geoffC - Wed, 3 Aug 2022 19:30 UTC

On 03/08/2022 16:15, wessie wrote:

>As for the ship, those posh cabins are the worst for making you wobbly.
>Being up high & wide they move around more. Inner cabins just above the car
>decks are best if you don't have sea legs.

And don't mind car alarms going off all night.

--
Geoff
NTV 650

Re: Wot I did on my holidays (long and perhaps dull)

<7cebb855-ec35-46ba-8ea1-d37dd9d9c1a6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11080&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#11080

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2022 12:54:34 -0700 (PDT)
From: nigel.ea...@gmail.com (WUN)
 by: WUN - Wed, 3 Aug 2022 19:54 UTC

On Wednesday, August 3, 2022 at 1:19:10 PM UTC+1, Champ wrote:

> TL;DR: it was bloody great!

Glad to hear it, sounds wonderful.

Re: ferries. If you're even slightly susceptible neck a couple of Stugeron before
boarding. Life rafts always carry anti-seasickness medication and an early
priority is to take it. Even seasoned sailors have their limits and you really don't
want to be blowing limited resources overboard in chunks.

--
WUN

Re: Wot I did on my holidays (long and perhaps dull)

<XnsAEE8DD902CCDDwtymmmsas@88.198.57.247>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11081&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#11081

From: willnotw...@tesco.net (wessie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2022 20:46:50 -0000 (UTC)
 by: wessie - Wed, 3 Aug 2022 20:46 UTC

geoffC <me@home.nl> wrote in news:tceici$2e4sr$1@dont-email.me:

> On 03/08/2022 16:15, wessie wrote:
>

>>As for the ship, those posh cabins are the worst for making you
>>wobbly. Being up high & wide they move around more. Inner cabins just
>>above the car decks are best if you don't have sea legs.
>>
> And don't mind car alarms going off all night.

never noticed those. Maybe something to do with pre-prandial pints, a
bottle of claret with dinner and snoring[1]

[1] more recently replaced with the noise from a CPAP machine

Re: Wot I did on my holidays (long and perhaps dull)

<jl05quF4f0aU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11082&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#11082

From: siwil...@nodamnspam.hotmail.com (siwilson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2022 21:58:06 +0100
 by: siwilson - Wed, 3 Aug 2022 20:58 UTC

On 03/08/2022 21:46, wessie wrote:
> geoffC <me@home.nl> wrote in news:tceici$2e4sr$1@dont-email.me:
>
>> On 03/08/2022 16:15, wessie wrote:
>>

>>> As for the ship, those posh cabins are the worst for making you
>>> wobbly. Being up high & wide they move around more. Inner cabins just
>>> above the car decks are best if you don't have sea legs.
>>>
>> And don't mind car alarms going off all night.
>>

> never noticed those. Maybe something to do with pre-prandial pints, a
> bottle of claret with dinner and snoring[1]

I rarely notice the car alarms either. I do wish people would read up
how to disable them though, it must be a right pain for people who have
to do stuff during the crossing. Ours is bugger to disable[1]you have to
insert and remove the keycard three times.

[1] at least I think I disable it.

--
/Simon

Re: Wot I did on my holidays (long and perhaps dull)

<pvolehtmoaua9f1qgc9rptiqugerom3cnj@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11083&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#11083

From: plusc...@live.co.uk (Pipl)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2022 22:11:37 +0100
 by: Pipl - Wed, 3 Aug 2022 21:11 UTC

On Wed, 3 Aug 2022 21:58:06 +0100, siwilson
<siwilson@nodamnspam.hotmail.com> wrote:

>I rarely notice the car alarms either. I do wish people would read up
>how to disable them though, it must be a right pain for people who have
>to do stuff during the crossing. Ours is bugger to disable[1]you have to
>insert and remove the keycard three times.

On my car you just lock the doors with the key. Simples. In fact,
that's all I've ever done since one of two remotes died. Replacements
were something like £400 and ebay specials don't seem to work.

--

-Pip

Re: Wot I did on my holidays (long and perhaps dull)

<MPG.3d54f7a31f1e409f989772@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11084&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#11084

From: petrol...@gmail.com (petrolcan)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2022 22:23:16 +0100
 by: petrolcan - Wed, 3 Aug 2022 21:23 UTC

In article <jl05quF4f0aU1@mid.individual.net>, siwilson says...

> On 03/08/2022 21:46, wessie wrote:
> > geoffC <me@home.nl> wrote in news:tceici$2e4sr$1@dont-email.me:

> >> And don't mind car alarms going off all night.
> >>

> > never noticed those. Maybe something to do with pre-prandial pints, a
> > bottle of claret with dinner and snoring[1]
> >

> I rarely notice the car alarms either. I do wish people would read up
> how to disable them though, it must be a right pain for people who have
> to do stuff during the crossing. Ours is bugger to disable[1]you have to
> insert and remove the keycard three times.
>
> [1] at least I think I disable it.

Had to work out how to do mine in June. Turns out it has a little button on the B pillar that lights
up red when you push it.

Re: Wot I did on my holidays (long and perhaps dull)

<tcf13q$2hr6f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11085&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#11085

From: ols...@tiny.invalid (Mark Olson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2022 23:41:46 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mark Olson - Wed, 3 Aug 2022 23:41 UTC

wessie <willnotwork@tesco.net> wrote:
> Champ <neal@champ.org.uk> wrote in news:t7mkehph06qionghfieqidu99l4t6nqv6u@
> 4ax.com:
>
>> Here's a quick write-up of my euro-trip last month
>
> [snip]
>
>> This trip wasn't perfect, but it was really really bloody good.

And the writeup was good as well. Thanks for sharing that.

--
FJR1300A, GL1000, KLR650A6F, EX250J9A, DR200SE, Vespa Ciao

Re: Wot I did on my holidays (long and perhaps dull)

<vj9sri-bs9.ln1@bilbo.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11086&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#11086

From: new...@millhouse-communications.co.uk (Boots)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2022 15:38:07 +0800
 by: Boots - Thu, 4 Aug 2022 07:38 UTC

On 03/08/2022 20:19 Champ penned these words:
> wasn't perfect, but it was really really bloody good.

Sounds brilliant

--
Ian

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of
the last priest"

Re: Wot I did on my holidays (long and perhaps dull)

<93866a6c-dde6-440e-b8f4-76ff124bc5bcn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11087&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#11087

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2022 03:13:33 -0700 (PDT)
From: brownieb...@googlemail.com (Dave Brown)
 by: Dave Brown - Thu, 4 Aug 2022 10:13 UTC

On Wednesday, August 3, 2022 at 1:19:10 PM UTC+1, Champ wrote:
> Here's a quick write-up of my euro-trip last month
>
> TL;DR: it was bloody great!
>
> Overview: a tour across France & Switzerland on the H2 SX, with the
> Schnipetty Schnip....
>
> Which, after an uneventful crossing, I did. Home Sweet Home
>
> This trip wasn't perfect, but it was really really bloody good.

Fairly similar trip in the Fake Camper for me but a bit shorter.

Newhaven - Dieppe - Chalons en Champagne - Bed Bellingen - Judging a BBQ Comp - Verdun - Neufchatel en Bray - Dieppe - Newhaven.

Lovely roads and did the avoid Peage bit which is always nice, route took me through the Vosges and Alsace which was very picturesque and twisty.

Some totally uninteresting mobile phone photos can be found here : https://www.dropbox.com/sh/m58rebliya9ycej/AACdx3frewNjOZzNWIu0-Kq3a?dl=0

I enjoyed it anyhoos ;-)

Re: Wot I did on my holidays (long and perhaps dull)

<991259c0-d9d4-458d-8fbb-3591f333582an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11088&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#11088

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2022 04:58:20 -0700 (PDT)
From: elda...@gmail.com (ogden)
 by: ogden - Thu, 4 Aug 2022 11:58 UTC

Champ wrote:
> On disembarking and queing to get back into Brexit Britain, we then
> hit the road up to V's mum's place in Surrey

Post corrected.

> By the time I got to the M6 I was running late, but thought I'd just
> blast it up to Heysham no trouble. Wrong. The M6 was 3~4 lanes of
> stationery or very slow traffic for 50 miles.

Don't I know it.

It was pure chance that I noticed a green and black Kawasaki on Manx plates filter past me in the traffic, and thought "what are the odds...?"

Re: Wot I did on my holidays (long and perhaps dull)

<tch3r1$2sksv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11089&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#11089

From: bdp...@ytc1-spambin.co.uk (YTC#1)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2022 19:40:32 +0100
 by: YTC#1 - Thu, 4 Aug 2022 18:40 UTC

On 04/08/2022 12:58, ogden wrote:
> Champ wrote:
>> On disembarking and queing to get back into Brexit Britain, we then
>> hit the road up to V's mum's place in Surrey
>
> Post corrected.

If I do that I get my head bitten off :-(

>> By the time I got to the M6 I was running late, but thought I'd just
>> blast it up to Heysham no trouble. Wrong. The M6 was 3~4 lanes of
>> stationery or very slow traffic for 50 miles.
>
> Don't I know it.

I think it is to do with the "Smart" motorways, everything has been
worse since they started that mularky.

> It was pure chance that I noticed a green and black Kawasaki on Manx plates filter past me in the traffic, and thought "what are the odds...?"

The longer the car is stationary for, the higher the odds.

--
Bruce Porter
"The internet is a huge and diverse community but mainly friendly"
http://ytc1.blogspot.co.uk/
There *is* an alternative! http://www.openoffice.org/

Re: Wot I did on my holidays (long and perhaps dull)

<0r6oehtt744c59cst28ral9t75p8pq30m5@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11090&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#11090

From: nea...@champ.org.uk (Champ)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2022 20:19:26 +0100
 by: Champ - Thu, 4 Aug 2022 19:19 UTC

On Wed, 3 Aug 2022 12:54:34 -0700 (PDT), WUN <nigel.eaton@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Re: ferries. If you're even slightly susceptible neck a couple of Stugeron before
>boarding.

Well, I thought many years of crossing the Irish Sea had cured me!
And the weather was lovely, and with no wind, or whitecaps

It was just that gentle roll from side to side that got me
--
Champ
neal at champ dot org dot uk

I don't know, but I been told
You never slow down, you never grow old

Re: Wot I did on my holidays (long and perhaps dull)

<917oeht3u9re6h484va5ernij6okqd1ir4@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11091&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#11091

From: nea...@champ.org.uk (Champ)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2022 20:22:16 +0100
 by: Champ - Thu, 4 Aug 2022 19:22 UTC

On Thu, 4 Aug 2022 04:58:20 -0700 (PDT), ogden <eldaifo@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Champ wrote:
>> On disembarking and queing to get back into Brexit Britain, we then
>> hit the road up to V's mum's place in Surrey

>Post corrected.

heh. V's mum insists she doesn't live in London. I don't argue. But
you are *well* inside the M25

>> By the time I got to the M6 I was running late, but thought I'd just
>> blast it up to Heysham no trouble. Wrong. The M6 was 3~4 lanes of
>> stationery or very slow traffic for 50 miles.

>Don't I know it.

You were heading to hill climb, yes? Barbon?

>It was pure chance that I noticed a green and black Kawasaki on Manx plates filter past me in the traffic, and thought "what are the odds...?"

That is quite spooky
--
Champ
neal at champ dot org dot uk

I don't know, but I been told
You never slow down, you never grow old

Re: Wot I did on my holidays (long and perhaps dull)

<l57oehpqkrcpnrirlf8jvitifa0gc4n72b@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11092&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#11092

From: nea...@champ.org.uk (Champ)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2022 20:39:14 +0100
 by: Champ - Thu, 4 Aug 2022 19:39 UTC

On Wed, 03 Aug 2022 13:19:05 +0100, Champ <neal@champ.org.uk> wrote:

>Here's a quick write-up of my euro-trip last month

<motorcycle-related follow-up>

The bike. Oh, the bike. The bike was fucking perfect. It hauled 2
people and their luggage is pretty good comfort across a range of
terrain and roads, and was always fun to be on. Every overtake was
just a twist of the throttle away, and being in 'gentle touring mode'
most of the time, I regular got a 50+mpg out of each tankful

In contrast, this week I've been riding it solo without luggage over
the mountain road here on the IoM, and revelling in the power and
acceleration, and the way it just rolls beautifully into corners.
This last aided by the new Pirelli Angel GT2s I fitted a little before
the trip - after 2500 load carrying miles they've not lost their
profile at all, grip well, and impart beautifully linear steering
response.

When the H2 SX was launched, there was a promo video (like this, I
think: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OH7_ujvFE34) showing the bike
with panniers and (obviously female) passenger bend-swinging along
twisiting alpine roads and I'm here to tell that every part of that
advertising campaign was accurate as I recreated some of myself last
month.

I really really love this bike
--
Champ
neal at champ dot org dot uk

I don't know, but I been told
You never slow down, you never grow old

Re: Wot I did on my holidays (long and perhaps dull)

<4a28dd85-a514-495f-bd98-69d01a48d921n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11093&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#11093

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2022 14:07:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: nigel.ea...@gmail.com (WUN)
 by: WUN - Thu, 4 Aug 2022 21:07 UTC

On Thursday, August 4, 2022 at 8:19:28 PM UTC+1, Champ wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Aug 2022 12:54:34 -0700 (PDT), WUN <nigel...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >Re: ferries. If you're even slightly susceptible neck a couple of Stugeron before
> >boarding.
> Well, I thought many years of crossing the Irish Sea had cured me!
> And the weather was lovely, and with no wind, or whitecaps
>
> It was just that gentle roll from side to side that got me

That'll do it. I remember sailing on a big lazy Pacific swell off San Diego.
There were people puking left, right, and centre. Not good. I was hungry.

I've sailed small vessels in the Minches. Big seas, and wind over tide. No
problem at all.

I *never* get sea (or air) sick. It just doesn't happen. Only there was this once
on the "Vomit Comet" with Simon Wilson where I was sitting at the stern and
suddenly thought "Oh. I think I'll go and sit in the centre of the vessel...". I was fine
after that, but was very surprised. Never had it before, never had it since, but that
one time...

--
WUN

Re: Wot I did on my holidays (long and perhaps dull)

<c7d03780-9844-4594-8d56-147ae57a9d77n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11094&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#11094

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2022 14:20:49 -0700 (PDT)
From: elda...@gmail.com (ogden)
 by: ogden - Thu, 4 Aug 2022 21:20 UTC

Champ wrote:
> ogden wrote:
> >Champ wrote:
> >> On disembarking and queing to get back into Brexit Britain, we then
> >> hit the road up to V's mum's place in Surrey
>
> >Post corrected.
>
> heh. V's mum insists she doesn't live in London.

Quite.

> I don't argue. But you are *well* inside the M25

She lives about half a mile from the edge of a London borough. I'm about 200 yards from one in the opposite direction. We couldn't be much further inside the M25 without actually being in London, but somehow we managed it.

> >> By the time I got to the M6 I was running late, but thought I'd just
> >> blast it up to Heysham no trouble. Wrong. The M6 was 3~4 lanes of
> >> stationery or very slow traffic for 50 miles.
>
> >Don't I know it.
>
> You were heading to hill climb, yes? Barbon?

Yeah. Only took 7 hours to drive up, though that was an hour quicker than the same trip last year. Completely pointless, but I did at least bring home another bit of glass.

Re: Wot I did on my holidays (long and perhaps dull)

<XnsAEE9E8C70819Fwtymmmsas@88.198.57.247>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11095&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#11095

From: willnotw...@tesco.net (wessie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2022 21:52:58 -0000 (UTC)
 by: wessie - Thu, 4 Aug 2022 21:52 UTC

WUN <nigel.eaton@gmail.com> wrote in

> On Thursday, August 4, 2022 at 8:19:28 PM UTC+1, Champ wrote:
>> On Wed, 3 Aug 2022 12:54:34 -0700 (PDT), WUN <nigel...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> >Re: ferries. If you're even slightly susceptible neck a couple of
>> >Stugeron before boarding.
>> Well, I thought many years of crossing the Irish Sea had cured me!
>> And the weather was lovely, and with no wind, or whitecaps
>>
>> It was just that gentle roll from side to side that got me
>
> That'll do it. I remember sailing on a big lazy Pacific swell off San
> Diego. There were people puking left, right, and centre. Not good. I
> was hungry.
>
> I've sailed small vessels in the Minches. Big seas, and wind over
> tide. No problem at all.
>
> I *never* get sea (or air) sick. It just doesn't happen. Only there
> was this once on the "Vomit Comet" with Simon Wilson where I was
> sitting at the stern and suddenly thought "Oh. I think I'll go and sit
> in the centre of the vessel...". I was fine after that, but was very
> surprised. Never had it before, never had it since, but that one
> time...

poof

I love rough seas, especially overnight with a clear sky. Standing on the
stern observation deck watching the stars & moon appear to dance about as
you rock & roll is mesmerising.

Plus, there is never a queue at the bar.

Re: Wot I did on my holidays (long and perhaps dull)

<tciik0$33ih8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11096&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#11096

From: bdp...@ytc1-spambin.co.uk (YTC#1)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2022 08:58:55 +0100
 by: YTC#1 - Fri, 5 Aug 2022 07:58 UTC

On 04/08/2022 20:39, Champ wrote:
> On Wed, 03 Aug 2022 13:19:05 +0100, Champ <neal@champ.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> Here's a quick write-up of my euro-trip last month
>
> <motorcycle-related follow-up>
<snip>

> When the H2 SX was launched, there was a promo video (like this, I
> think: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OH7_ujvFE34) showing the bike

Just an observation, while taking a sweeping left hand bend bot the
rider and pillion heads were across the white line.[1] An oncoming
vehicle could have got interesting :-)

[1] TBH I am often guilty of this

--
Bruce Porter
"The internet is a huge and diverse community but mainly friendly"
http://ytc1.blogspot.co.uk/
There *is* an alternative! http://www.openoffice.org/

Re: Wot I did on my holidays (long and perhaps dull)

<likpehl5h3t5lrhtljbvl20b95b4q2c0gl@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11097&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#11097

From: Ace...@ch.com (Ace)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2022 10:19:36 +0200
 by: Ace - Fri, 5 Aug 2022 08:19 UTC

On Thu, 04 Aug 2022 20:39:14 +0100, Champ <neal@champ.org.uk> wrote:

>On Wed, 03 Aug 2022 13:19:05 +0100, Champ <neal@champ.org.uk> wrote:
>
>>Here's a quick write-up of my euro-trip last month
>
><motorcycle-related follow-up>
>
>The bike. Oh, the bike. The bike was fucking perfect.

Well, apart from the mickey mouse chain adjustment. "Take it to a
dealer" indeed. I guess from the lack of a mention that the chain held
up OK for the rest of the trip?

--
Ace
http://www.chaletbeauroc.com/

Re: Wot I did on my holidays (long and perhaps dull)

<tcioo4$345k9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11098&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#11098

From: the.best...@gmail.com (Higgins)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2022 09:43:32 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:yX9mnLim4LiFC0yWc9Z+6abpqVQ=
 by: Higgins - Fri, 5 Aug 2022 09:43 UTC

YTC#1 <bdp@ytc1-spambin.co.uk> wrote:

> On 04/08/2022 20:39, Champ wrote:
>> On Wed, 03 Aug 2022 13:19:05 +0100, Champ <neal@champ.org.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> Here's a quick write-up of my euro-trip last month
>>
>> <motorcycle-related follow-up>
> <snip>
>
>> When the H2 SX was launched, there was a promo video (like this, I
>> think: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OH7_ujvFE34) showing the bike
>
> Just an observation, while taking a sweeping left hand bend bot the
> rider and pillion heads were across the white line.[1] An oncoming
> vehicle could have got interesting :-)
>

> [1] TBH I am often guilty of this

I’m going to guess “all footage recorded on closed roads, don’t try this at
home”

aus+uk / uk.rec.motorcycles / Wot I did on my holidays (long and perhaps dull)