If bankers can count, how come they have eight windows and only four tellers?

aus+uk / uk.rec.sheds / Re: telly naming rant.

SubjectAuthor
* telly naming rant.soup
+* telly naming rant.Ahem A Rivet's Shot
|+* telly naming rant.maus
||`- telly naming rant.RustyHinge
|`* telly naming rant.Richard Robinson
| +- telly naming rant.Ahem A Rivet's Shot
| +* telly naming rant.Peter
| |`* telly naming rant.Richard Robinson
| | `* telly naming rant.Peter
| |  `- telly naming rant.Nicholas D. Richards
| +* telly naming rant.maus
| |`* telly naming rant.Mike Fleming
| | +* telly naming rant.maus
| | |+* telly naming rant.John Williamson
| | |`* telly naming rant.Mike Fleming
| | | `* telly naming rant.Richard Robinson
| | |  `- telly naming rant.maus
| | `* telly naming rant.Nicholas D. Richards
| |  `* telly naming rant.soup
| |   +- telly naming rant.Richard Robinson
| |   `* telly naming rant.Mike Fleming
| |    +* telly naming rant.maus
| |    |+* telly naming rant.Sam Plusnet
| |    ||`* telly naming rant.RustyHinge
| |    || `* telly naming rant.ChrisND@privacy.net
| |    ||  `* telly naming rant.Richard Robinson
| |    ||   +- telly naming rant.RustyHinge
| |    ||   `- telly naming rant.RustyHinge
| |    |`* telly naming rant.Brian G
| |    | +- telly naming rant.Ahem A Rivet's Shot
| |    | `- telly naming rant.maus
| |    `- telly naming rant.RustyHinge
| `* telly naming rant.Sam Plusnet
|  `- telly naming rant.Richard Robinson
`* telly naming rant.Mike Fleming
 `* telly naming rant.Nicholas D. Richards
  `* telly naming rant.RustyHinge
   `* telly naming rant.maus
    +* telly naming rant.Nick Odell
    |`- telly naming rant.RustyHinge
    +* telly naming rant.Tone
    |`- telly naming rant.Nicholas D. Richards
    `- telly naming rant.Mike Fleming

Pages:12
Re: telly naming rant.

<jervobFbd3fU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11195&group=uk.rec.sheds#11195

From: johnwill...@btinternet.com (John Williamson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Re: telly naming rant.
Date: Sat, 21 May 2022 12:12:07 +0100
 by: John Williamson - Sat, 21 May 2022 11:12 UTC

On 21/05/2022 11:18, maus wrote:

> What you write is True, What do you think of those who have died from the results of drug
> abuse. Far more people have died from drugs in the US over the last year
> than the popular diseases, Covid. Sometimes there is a place for the old
> crusaders idea of, `Kill them all and let God decide.'

It's not talked about so much, but one of the big killers in the USA is
misuse of *prescribed* opioids, which kill more people per annum in the
USA than illegally supplied drugs. (Gun accidents kill more than either,
but that's a completely different rant.)

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Re: telly naming rant.

<slrnt8hr5v.834.maus@dmaus.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11203&group=uk.rec.sheds#11203

From: mau...@dmaus.org (maus)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 21 May 2022 13:44:31 GMT
 by: maus - Sat, 21 May 2022 13:44 UTC

On 2022-05-21, John Williamson <johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> wrote:
> On 21/05/2022 11:18, maus wrote:
>
>> What you write is True, What do you think of those who have died from the results of drug
>> abuse. Far more people have died from drugs in the US over the last year
>> than the popular diseases, Covid. Sometimes there is a place for the old
>> crusaders idea of, `Kill them all and let God decide.'
>>
> It's not talked about so much, but one of the big killers in the USA is
> misuse of *prescribed* opioids, which kill more people per annum in the
> USA than illegally supplied drugs. (Gun accidents kill more than either,
> but that's a completely different rant.)

The bigger question is why the drug was ever approved for use. The
answer, my friend[1], is that answer that will free the world from the
present mess.

[1] There was a gypsy[Romanian] who used to park in a restricted parking
place in front of Lidl. I would, when I was able to shop, park in a
general parking spot beside that beloved place, and remonstrate with
him. He would reply, "My Friend, I will move in a while, what harm am I
doing.", "You are not my f***ing friend.". It was was a little drama
that we produced ever so often.

--
greymausg@mail.com
Human Life will not end with a `Bang', but with a `D'oh'

Re: telly naming rant.

<XnsAE9EA04886CA5Factura3476@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11215&group=uk.rec.sheds#11215

From: mys...@prune.org.uk (Peter)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 21 May 2022 14:45:20 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Peter - Sat, 21 May 2022 14:45 UTC

John Williamson <johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> wrote in

> It's not talked about so much, but one of the big killers in the USA
> is misuse of *prescribed* opioids, which kill more people per annum in
> the USA than illegally supplied drugs. (Gun accidents kill more than
> either, but that's a completely different rant.)

Salmond Rushdie wrote a fine novel about that. "Quichotte", - a sort of
modern day Don Quixote. His equivalent of Dulcinea is a film (or maybe TV)
starlet in the grip of opioid addiction, to whose rescue rides an addled old
man in a battered old car. I read it a while ago and thoroughly enjoyed it.

--
Peter
-----

Re: telly naming rant.

<t6b29a$4s1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11226&group=uk.rec.sheds#11226

From: inva...@invalid.com (soup)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 21 May 2022 16:59:40 +0100
 by: soup - Sat, 21 May 2022 15:59 UTC

On 21/05/2022 11:24, Nicholas D. Richards wrote:
> In article <jerpnmFaamcU1@mid.individual.net>, Mike Fleming
> <mike@tauzero.co.uk> on Sat, 21 May 2022 at 10:29:25 awoke Nicholas
> from his slumbers and wrote

>>> Sounds like the last US election..
>>> I don't think Afganistan has had an election since they chased the Yanks
>>> out, but they have restarted hanging drug-dealers after a quick `trial'.
>>> I would vote for that anyday.
>
> I will stay out of the politics of the recent American General Election.
>>
>> After the Birmingham Six, Guildford Four, and Maguire Seven, you still
>> think that capital punishment is a good idea? How do you feel about the
>> Taliban's execution of opposition, suppression of women, and utter
>> disregard for human rights?
>
> Absolutely, if we still had capital punishment then, they would all of
> them have hanged. The very idea makes me shudder. There are many
> historic cases where completely innocent people were hung. If they were
> lucky they receive a posthumous pardon, cold comfort. Once dead it
> becomes difficult to get a head of steam towards granting a pardon.
>
> Corruption, racial prejudice, 'something must done', lazy practices to
> name a few have been sources of wrongful murder convictions, in recent
> years.
>
> I used to have the acquaintance of the man, who along with a number of
> others was wrongfully convicted of the murder of a prostitute. The
> conviction was based on the confession of an illiterate man, said to
> have a mental age of an 11 year old, who signed a confession that he
> could not read, after being bullied by the police. They backed this up
> with witness statements which were complete fabrications that they had
> bullied out of three others. He was lucky he was released after two
> years. A totally different person was eventually convicted after DNA
> evidence pointed a different set of policemen in a different direction.
>
> Of course my acquaintance was black.

Why." of course" ?
Are white men never the target of false convictions?

Let's see, ah the cases mentioned here.
How many of the Birmingham six were black?
How many of the Guilford four were black ?
How many of the Maguire seven were black ?

OK threads morph away from what they started out as, but don't bring
your racism into ye shedde.

Sorry all for this diversion into racism, now back to your regularly
scheduled stuff..

That Gigi Edgely eh!
See what I did there? Combined Farscape (and rescue squad)into common
lechery. Never fancied that Blue woman though.

Re: telly naming rant.

<eYSdnbJirLiSihT_nZ2dnUU7-bGdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11230&group=uk.rec.sheds#11230

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: richa...@privacy.net (Richard Robinson)
Date: Sat, 21 May 2022 11:45:03 -0500
 by: Richard Robinson - Sat, 21 May 2022 16:45 UTC

soup said:
> On 21/05/2022 11:24, Nicholas D. Richards wrote:
>>
>> Of course my acquaintance was black.
>
> Why." of course" ?
> Are white men never the target of false convictions?
>
> Let's see, ah the cases mentioned here.
> How many of the Birmingham six were black?
> How many of the Guilford four were black ?
> How many of the Maguire seven were black ?

Could have been Irish, right enough.

--
Richard Robinson

My email address is at http://qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html

Re: telly naming rant.

<jet5v1Fidj1U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11242&group=uk.rec.sheds#11242

From: mik...@tauzero.co.uk (Mike Fleming)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 21 May 2022 23:04:14 +0100
 by: Mike Fleming - Sat, 21 May 2022 22:04 UTC

On 21/05/2022 11:18, maus wrote:
> On 2022-05-21, Mike Fleming <mike@tauzero.co.uk> wrote:
>> On 20/05/2022 16:53, maus wrote:
>>> I don't think Afganistan has had an election since they chased the Yanks
>>> out, but they have restarted hanging drug-dealers after a quick `trial'.
>>> I would vote for that anyday.
>>
>> After the Birmingham Six, Guildford Four, and Maguire Seven, you still
>> think that capital punishment is a good idea?
>
> What you write is True, What do you think of those who have died from the results of drug
> abuse. Far more people have died from drugs in the US over the last year
> than the popular diseases, Covid. Sometimes there is a place for the old
> crusaders idea of, `Kill them all and let God decide.'

That completely ignores any form of nuance. Plus, if people die from
taking drugs, they have chosen the pleasure and the associated risk. You
might just as well argue that drug dealers should be encouraged as the
weak-willed will be eliminated from society, so they are a form of
social Darwinism.

>> How do you feel about the
>> Taliban's execution of opposition, suppression of women, and utter
>> disregard for human rights?
>
> There is a civil war in Afganistan, like in the Ukraine.

No there isn't. The Taliban simply ejected the weak and corrupt Afghan
government.

> It was a raw
> battle for power. The us was backing the drug dealing side, The people
> there have shifted power down a bit, to the village gigras. The same
> thing might have to happen in the UK and The republic of I.

That's completely backwards. The US was trying to eliminate heroin, the
Taliban is funded by it.

https://www.aljazeera.com/economy/2021/8/16/opium-afghanistans-illicit-drug-trade-that-helped-fuel-taliban

> England has no option other than Boris, the Labour man is a Blairite.
> Who in the North of England will vote for him?.

Anybody who doesn't want Johnson in power any longer. I agree Starmer is
a Blairite, but I will hold my nose and vote for him regardless. With
any luck there will be an alliance of the progressive parties, and with
even more luck we will eventually get PR.

> Same in Ireland, the government here has completely sold out, and the
> broad masses will vote for Sinn Fein, who nobody seems to know, or
> fears, what they will do when in power down South.
>
> Bah, and humbug, as others say.

Perhaps left-wing politicians in the Republic should have formed a new
progressive party that didn't have historical links to the IRA then.
You've had alternating right-wing parties for always, looks like the
only way that the left get to run things is if SF get a proper majority.

I confess to a family link to Sinn Fein, my great-aunt was the Countess
de Markievicz's chauffeur during the Easter Rising. OTOH, my cousin's
husband was a DUP politician who had to move south after threats were made.

Re: telly naming rant.

<jet64oFidj1U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11243&group=uk.rec.sheds#11243

From: mik...@tauzero.co.uk (Mike Fleming)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 21 May 2022 23:07:18 +0100
 by: Mike Fleming - Sat, 21 May 2022 22:07 UTC

On 21/05/2022 16:59, soup wrote:

>   That Gigi Edgely eh!
> See what I did there? Combined Farscape (and rescue squad)into common
> lechery.  Never fancied that Blue woman though.

I'm still more of a Claudia Black fan - I think I have some strange
attraction to women with big weapons (see also Alex Kingston as River
Song). Not Sarah Palin though, she's just a psycho.

Re: telly naming rant.

<slrnt8jnpi.3bb.maus@dmaus.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11250&group=uk.rec.sheds#11250

From: mau...@dmaus.org (maus)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 22 May 2022 06:58:58 GMT
 by: maus - Sun, 22 May 2022 06:58 UTC

On 2022-05-21, Mike Fleming <mike@tauzero.co.uk> wrote:
> On 21/05/2022 16:59, soup wrote:
>>
>>   That Gigi Edgely eh!
>> See what I did there? Combined Farscape (and rescue squad)into common
>> lechery.  Never fancied that Blue woman though.
>
> I'm still more of a Claudia Black fan - I think I have some strange
> attraction to women with big weapons (see also Alex Kingston as River
> Song). Not Sarah Palin though, she's just a psycho.

No, she ain't. She is so gifted that she can see russia from her front
door, even if its hundreds of miles away :)

I was looking at a Ronald Reagan film last evening. What sort of country
would me him President.

--
greymausg@mail.com
Human Life will not end with a `Bang', but with a `D'oh'

Re: telly naming rant.

<t6cnei$1bi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11253&group=uk.rec.sheds#11253

From: rusty.hi...@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sun, 22 May 2022 08:06:58 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Sun, 22 May 2022 07:06 UTC

On 21/05/2022 23:07, Mike Fleming wrote:
> On 21/05/2022 16:59, soup wrote:
>>
>>    That Gigi Edgely eh!
>> See what I did there? Combined Farscape (and rescue squad)into common
>> lechery.  Never fancied that Blue woman though.
>
> I'm still more of a Claudia Black fan - I think I have some strange
> attraction to women with big weapons (see also Alex Kingston as River
> Song). Not Sarah Palin though, she's just a psycho.

....and I'd never heard of her before this fred (not Fred) started.

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: telly naming rant.

<c7adnZ3y376n3Rf_nZ2dnUU7-W_NnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11277&group=uk.rec.sheds#11277

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: richa...@privacy.net (Richard Robinson)
Date: Sun, 22 May 2022 08:52:58 -0500
 by: Richard Robinson - Sun, 22 May 2022 13:52 UTC

Mike Fleming said:
> On 21/05/2022 11:18, maus wrote:
>
>> Sometimes there is a place for the old
>> crusaders idea of, `Kill them all and let God decide.'

The Dustbin Of History.

Anybody read Doris Lessing's sciencefictiony books ? "Sentimental Agents
in the Volyen Empire" - a planet full of Revolutionary Fervour, where
people leap up on soapboxes to spout grandiose speeches. Whereupon
their grieving friends and relatives take them gently by the arm and
lead them to the Hospital For Rhetorical Diseases ...

> That completely ignores any form of nuance. Plus, if people die from
> taking drugs, they have chosen the pleasure and the associated risk. You
> might just as well argue that drug dealers should be encouraged as the
> weak-willed will be eliminated from society, so they are a form of
> social Darwinism.

And tax 'em, in bands determined by the lethality of what they sell ?
(just because I'm a nambypamby liberal interventionist).

>>> How do you feel about the
>>> Taliban's execution of opposition, suppression of women, and utter
>>> disregard for human rights?
>>
>> There is a civil war in Afganistan, like in the Ukraine.
>
> No there isn't. The Taliban simply ejected the weak and corrupt Afghan
> government.

I got the impression that a) they didn't have to do very much ejecting,
the previous state of affairs gave up along with the US, and b) that was
when the civil war more-or-less ended (barring IS's efforts to outflank
them from the right ?)

> I confess to a family link to Sinn Fein, my great-aunt was the Countess
> de Markievicz's chauffeur during the Easter Rising. OTOH, my cousin's
> husband was a DUP politician who had to move south after threats were made.

Coo !

As an English with no direct knowledge, it's easy to be unaware of how
personally tangled cross-Irish-Sea connections can be, till we hear
things like that.

--
Richard Robinson

My email address is at http://qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html

Re: telly naming rant.

<slrnt8kiuh.9kr.maus@dmaus.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11284&group=uk.rec.sheds#11284

From: mau...@dmaus.org (maus)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 22 May 2022 14:42:25 GMT
 by: maus - Sun, 22 May 2022 14:42 UTC

On 2022-05-22, Richard Robinson <richardR@privacy.net> wrote:
> Mike Fleming said:
>> On 21/05/2022 11:18, maus wrote:
>>
>>> Sometimes there is a place for the old
>>> crusaders idea of, `Kill them all and let God decide.'
>
> The Dustbin Of History.

According to a report that was quickly stifled, some ministers were
concerned when the proposal to allow Ukranians in was made. It seemed
that Afgan refugees continued their old trade when they arrived in the
UK. They mightn't have worried, Most Ukranian refugees coming here come
direct from West Africa.

> I got the impression that a) they didn't have to do very much ejecting,
> the previous state of affairs gave up along with the US, and b) that was
> when the civil war more-or-less ended (barring IS's efforts to outflank
> them from the right ?)
>
>> I confess to a family link to Sinn Fein, my great-aunt was the Countess
>> de Markievicz's chauffeur during the Easter Rising. OTOH, my cousin's
>> husband was a DUP politician who had to move south after threats were made.
>
> Coo !
>
> As an English with no direct knowledge, it's easy to be unaware of how
> personally tangled cross-Irish-Sea connections can be, till we hear
> things like that.

Recent proposals about the future of Norn Ireland is that the area east
of the Bann secede and join with scotland. :)

--
greymausg@mail.com
Human Life will not end with a `Bang', but with a `D'oh'

Re: telly naming rant.

<h4wiK.416724$3b1.271518@fx14.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11303&group=uk.rec.sheds#11303

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Sun, 22 May 2022 20:22:53 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Sun, 22 May 2022 19:22 UTC

On 22-May-22 7:58, maus wrote:
> On 2022-05-21, Mike Fleming <mike@tauzero.co.uk> wrote:

>> Not Sarah Palin though, she's just a psycho.
>
> No, she ain't. She is so gifted that she can see russia from her front
> door, even if its hundreds of miles away :)

If ""Ich bin ein Berliner" can be accepted as a bit of rhetoric from
someone who had only been there for a couple of hours, I think she
should get a pass on her bit of hyperbole.

Not on anything else she's either said or done mind.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: telly naming rant.

<t6eaoe$u2n$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11313&group=uk.rec.sheds#11313

From: rusty.hi...@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sun, 22 May 2022 22:42:38 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Sun, 22 May 2022 21:42 UTC

On 22/05/2022 20:22, Sam Plusnet wrote:
> On 22-May-22 7:58, maus wrote:
>> On 2022-05-21, Mike Fleming <mike@tauzero.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>> Not Sarah Palin though, she's just a psycho.
>>
>> No, she ain't. She is so gifted that she can see russia from her front
>> door, even if its hundreds of miles away :)
>
> If ""Ich bin ein Berliner" can be accepted as a bit of rhetoric from
> someone who had only been there for a couple of hours, I think she
> should get a pass on her bit of hyperbole.
>
> Not on anything else she's either said or done mind.

Pres ought to have said: "Ich bin Berliner."

"Ich bin ein Berliner" OTOH means "I am a Berliner." Where 'Berliner'
means a kind of doughnut. Syntax is a pitfall waiting for somebody to
fall in.

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: telly naming rant.

<jf17utFbb24U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11316&group=uk.rec.sheds#11316

From: chri...@privacy.net (ChrisND@privacy.net)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Mon, 23 May 2022 12:02:53 +0100
 by: ChrisND@privacy.net - Mon, 23 May 2022 11:02 UTC

On 22/05/2022 22:42, RustyHinge wrote:
> On 22/05/2022 20:22, Sam Plusnet wrote:

>>> No, she ain't. She is so gifted that she can see russia from her front
>>> door, even if its hundreds of miles away :)
>>
>> If ""Ich bin ein Berliner" can be accepted as a bit of rhetoric from
>> someone who had only been there for a couple of hours, I think she
>> should get a pass on her bit of hyperbole.
>>
>> Not on anything else she's either said or done mind.
>
> Pres ought to have said: "Ich bin Berliner."
>
> "Ich bin ein Berliner" OTOH means "I am a Berliner." Where 'Berliner'
> means a kind of doughnut. Syntax is a pitfall waiting for somebody to
> fall in.

Actually pedantry (and etymology?) suggest that "a pitfall waiting for
somebody to fall in." should actually read "a pit waiting for somebody
to fall in."
Shurely?
:-)
Chris

Re: telly naming rant.

<bOWdnXr4iZic7hb_nZ2dnUU7-eednZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11318&group=uk.rec.sheds#11318

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: richa...@privacy.net (Richard Robinson)
Date: Mon, 23 May 2022 06:41:53 -0500
 by: Richard Robinson - Mon, 23 May 2022 11:41 UTC

ChrisND@privacy.net said:
> On 22/05/2022 22:42, RustyHinge wrote:

>>> If ""Ich bin ein Berliner" can be accepted as a bit of rhetoric from
>>> someone who had only been there for a couple of hours, I think she
>>> should get a pass on her bit of hyperbole.
>>>
>>> Not on anything else she's either said or done mind.
>>
>> Pres ought to have said: "Ich bin Berliner."
>>
>> "Ich bin ein Berliner" OTOH means "I am a Berliner." Where 'Berliner'
>> means a kind of doughnut. Syntax is a pitfall waiting for somebody to
>> fall in.
>>
> Actually pedantry (and etymology?) suggest that "a pitfall waiting for
> somebody to fall in." should actually read "a pit waiting for somebody
> to fall in."
> Shurely?

And end the sentence on the sort of wossname up with which Mr.
Churchill would allegedly not put ?

--
Richard Robinson

My email address is at http://qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html

Re: telly naming rant.

<t6g2df$i4e$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11322&group=uk.rec.sheds#11322

From: rusty.hi...@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Mon, 23 May 2022 14:32:31 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Mon, 23 May 2022 13:32 UTC

On 23/05/2022 12:41, Richard Robinson wrote:
> ChrisND@privacy.net said:

>>> Pres ought to have said: "Ich bin Berliner."
>>>
>>> "Ich bin ein Berliner" OTOH means "I am a Berliner." Where 'Berliner'
>>> means a kind of doughnut. Syntax is a pitfall waiting for somebody to
>>> fall in.
>>>
>> Actually pedantry (and etymology?) suggest that "a pitfall waiting for
>> somebody to fall in." should actually read "a pit waiting for somebody
>> to fall in."
>> Shurely?
>
> And end the sentence on the sort of wossname up with which Mr.
> Churchill would allegedly not put ?

proposation is a preposition

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: telly naming rant.

<t6g38a$pl3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11324&group=uk.rec.sheds#11324

From: rusty.hi...@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Mon, 23 May 2022 14:46:50 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Mon, 23 May 2022 13:46 UTC

On 23/05/2022 12:41, Richard Robinson wrote:

> And end the sentence on the sort of wossname up with which Mr.
> Churchill would allegedly not put ?

Oh, and he was quite right to be ironic, many English pedants
based heir 'rules' on Latin tintacks and usury where it *is* a
grammatical crime to put a preposition at the end of a sentence. In
English it never has been.

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: telly naming rant.

<t7fc25$7kf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11552&group=uk.rec.sheds#11552

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian G)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2022 11:27:11 +0100
 by: Brian G - Sat, 4 Jun 2022 10:27 UTC

Ronald Ray Gun?

Actually I had quite a soft spot for him, but he did not really achieve a
lot, did he.
I also wonder how a guy like Bush could have had a son like his and how
he got to be President. He may have had a high IQ, but common sense and the
ability to tell people what he meant, no way.

Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"maus" <maus@dmaus.org> wrote in message
> On 2022-05-21, Mike Fleming <mike@tauzero.co.uk> wrote:
>> On 21/05/2022 16:59, soup wrote:
>>>
>>> That Gigi Edgely eh!
>>> See what I did there? Combined Farscape (and rescue squad)into common
>>> lechery. Never fancied that Blue woman though.
>>
>> I'm still more of a Claudia Black fan - I think I have some strange
>> attraction to women with big weapons (see also Alex Kingston as River
>> Song). Not Sarah Palin though, she's just a psycho.
>
> No, she ain't. She is so gifted that she can see russia from her front
> door, even if its hundreds of miles away :)
>
> I was looking at a Ronald Reagan film last evening. What sort of country
> would me him President.
>

> --
> greymausg@mail.com
> Human Life will not end with a `Bang', but with a `D'oh'

Re: telly naming rant.

<20220604114712.5f88106119a4177b13d81c46@eircom.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11560&group=uk.rec.sheds#11560

From: ste...@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2022 11:47:12 +0100
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Sat, 4 Jun 2022 10:47 UTC

On Sat, 4 Jun 2022 11:27:11 +0100
"Brian G" <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:

> Actually I had quite a soft spot for him, but he did not really achieve
> a lot, did he.
> I also wonder how a guy like Bush could have had a son like his and
> how he got to be President. He may have had a high IQ, but common sense
> and the ability to tell people what he meant, no way.

The thing is we only see their public appearances and the gaffes
they make (sometimes deliberately I think, sometimes carelessly because it
doesn't matter to them) we don't see the shrewd and (no doubt) dirty
infighting in the closed meetings and over the lunch tables etc or wherever
the real games are played at that level.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Re: telly naming rant.

<slrnt9mniu.98b.maus@dmaus.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11574&group=uk.rec.sheds#11574

From: mau...@dmaus.org (maus)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 4 Jun 2022 13:30:06 GMT
 by: maus - Sat, 4 Jun 2022 13:30 UTC

On 2022-06-04, Brian G <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ronald Ray Gun?
>
> Actually I had quite a soft spot for him, but he did not really achieve a
> lot, did he.

Look at some of his films. He was an idiot, just an actor who spoke his
lines, whatever they were.

He and his supports started the trend that people would not retire when
they became senile.

> I also wonder how a guy like Bush could have had a son like his and how
> he got to be President. He may have had a high IQ, but common sense and the
> ability to tell people what he meant, no way.

He was a drug addict, and thought up that Iraq war. Another precedent.
Amazing how it happens, and continues to happen.

--
greymausg@mail.com
Cad a deanamid fasta gan aimwead?