aus+uk / uk.media.radio.archers / Ave atque vale

SubjectAuthor
* Ave atque valeSid Nuncius
+- Re: Ave atque valeJohn Ashby
+- Re: Ave atque valeChris J Dixon
+- Re: Ave atque valePaul Herber
+* Re: Ave atque valeMike McMillan
|+- Re: Ave atque valeChris
|`- Re: Ave atque valeSally Thompson
+- Re: Ave atque valePenny
+* Re: Ave atque valeHellerat
|`- Re: Ave atque valeChris
+- Re: Ave atque valekrw
+- Re: Ave atque valeJim Easterbrook
+- Re: Ave atque valeVicky
+- Re: Ave atque valeTony Smith
+* Re: Ave atque valeKate B
|`- Re: Ave atque valeChris
+* Re: Ave atque valeBrritSki
|`- Re: Ave atque valeJenny M Benson
+* Re: Ave atque valeLaura Spira
|`- Re: Ave atque valeMike Ruddock
+- Re: Ave atque valesteve hague
+- Re: Ave atque valeClive Arthur
+- Re: Ave atque valeRosalind Mitchell
+* Re: Ave atque valeLinda Fox
|`* Re: Ave atque valeVicky
| `* Re: Ave atque valeMike McMillan
|  `* Re: Ave atque valeChris
|   `- Re: Ave atque valeMike McMillan
+- Re: Ave atque valeSerena Blanchflower
+- Re: Ave atque valeNick Odell
+- Re: Ave atque valesteveski
+- Re: Ave atque valeJohn Ashby
+- Re: Ave atque valesmith
+- Re: Ave atque valeJoe Kerr
+* Re: Ave atque valeSam Plusnet
|`* the latinChris
| +* Re: the latinPaul Herber
| |`- Re: the latinPaul Herber
| `* Re: the latinLinda Fox
|  `* Re: the latinTony Smith
|   `* Re: the latinPenny
|    `* Re: the latinJohn Armstrong
|     +- Re: the latinMike McMillan
|     `* Re: the latinJohn Ashby
|      +- Re: the latinMike McMillan
|      `* Re: the latinSam Plusnet
|       +* Re: the latinKate B
|       |`- Re: the latinSam Plusnet
|       `- Re: the latinJohn Armstrong
+- Re: Ave atque valeRob Linham
+- Re: Ave atque valeBen Blaney
+- Re: Ave atque valeNigel Eaton
`* Re: Ave atque valeMin
 `- Re: Ave atque valeAxlegrease

Pages:123
Ave atque vale

<k02j5mFj3tkU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13160&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13160

From: nunc...@hotmail.co.uk (Sid Nuncius)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Ave atque vale
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 06:56:53 +0000
 by: Sid Nuncius - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 06:56 UTC

My dear friends,

I have rather a sad announcement make, I’m afraid. In late October I
went to the doc because I’d been exceptionally exhausted - hitherto
attributed to the urological tribulations of the previous six months or
so - and had rather persistent abdominal discomfort. Some rapid blood
tests, a CT scan and a gastroscopy revealed that I have a large,
bleeding, Grade 2 gastric tumour which has metastasised throughout my
liver and into neighbouring lymph nodes (Stage 4). It’s incurable and
my life expectancy, even with treatment, was estimated in months. I’ve
been going downhill rather rapidly since then; I’m on serious opioid
pain relief which, topped up with liquid morphine when required, is
managing the pain fairly well most of the time. Eating is a problem
now, and I’ve started liquid “meals” (which taste like melted vanilla
ice cream) to try and get some nutrition into me.

Chemotherapy will begin on 21st December (when ‘tis the yeares midnight
and it is the dayes) and possibly immunotherapy if pathology results
indicate that it is viable. Merry Christmas! It’s palliative and may
help with symptoms, and it may possibly extend my life by a little, but
not much. I have deteriorated badly in just the last week, so I’m not
expecting a great deal, but will take any relief I can get – and any
Amazing Miracles which are going, obviously.

I’m afraid that this will probably be my last post here. I’ve been
reading umra, but even that is now becoming difficult. I will look in
if/when I can. If the chemo has an amazing effect I may be back
briefly, but I wouldn’t advise breath-holding.

Umra has been a part of my life for getting on for 25 years. It has
been a rare haven of wit, decency, goodwill, helpfulness and friendship
which I have treasured. Thank you to all of you for what you have given
me for all these years; you have meant a lot to me.

I’ll get me shroud.
--
Sid

Re: Ave atque vale

<tnh931$3b65g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13161&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13161

From: johnashb...@yahoo.com (John Ashby)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: Ave atque vale
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 08:09:05 +0000
 by: John Ashby - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 08:09 UTC

On 16/12/2022 06:56, Sid Nuncius wrote:
> My dear friends,
>
> I have rather a sad announcement make, I’m afraid.  In late October I
> went to the doc because I’d been exceptionally exhausted - hitherto
> attributed to the urological tribulations of the previous six months or
> so - and had rather persistent abdominal discomfort.  Some rapid blood
> tests, a CT scan and a gastroscopy revealed that I have a large,
> bleeding, Grade 2 gastric tumour which has metastasised throughout my
> liver and into neighbouring lymph nodes (Stage 4).  It’s incurable and
> my life expectancy, even with treatment, was estimated in months.  I’ve
> been going downhill rather rapidly since then; I’m on serious opioid
> pain relief which, topped up with liquid morphine when required, is
> managing the pain fairly well most of the time.  Eating is a problem
> now, and I’ve started liquid “meals” (which taste like melted vanilla
> ice cream) to try and get some nutrition into me.
>
> Chemotherapy will begin on 21st December (when ‘tis the yeares midnight
> and it is the dayes) and possibly immunotherapy if pathology results
> indicate that it is viable.  Merry Christmas!  It’s palliative and may
> help with symptoms, and it may possibly extend my life by a little, but
> not much.  I have deteriorated badly in just the last week, so I’m not
> expecting a great deal, but will take any relief I can get – and any
> Amazing Miracles which are going, obviously.
>
> I’m afraid that this will probably be my last post here.  I’ve been
> reading umra, but even that is now becoming difficult.  I will look in
> if/when I can.  If the chemo has an amazing effect I may be back
> briefly, but I wouldn’t advise breath-holding.
>
> Umra has been a part of my life for getting on for 25 years.  It has
> been a rare haven of wit, decency, goodwill, helpfulness and friendship
> which I have treasured.  Thank you to all of you for what you have given
> me for all these years; you have meant a lot to me.
>
> I’ll get me shroud.

Oh shit.

Oh shit, shit, shit.

Sid's post gets an automatic BTN for the universe.

john

Re: Ave atque vale

<hvaoph96ep0otiu0qlvrbmo9lkg1m70jfu@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13162&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13162

From: chr...@cdixon.me.uk (Chris J Dixon)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 08:31:09 +0000
 by: Chris J Dixon - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 08:31 UTC

Sid Nuncius wrote:

>My dear friends,

>I’m afraid that this will probably be my last post here. I’ve been
>reading umra, but even that is now becoming difficult. I will look in
>if/when I can. If the chemo has an amazing effect I may be back
>briefly, but I wouldn’t advise breath-holding.
>
>Umra has been a part of my life for getting on for 25 years. It has
>been a rare haven of wit, decency, goodwill, helpfulness and friendship
>which I have treasured. Thank you to all of you for what you have given
>me for all these years; you have meant a lot to me.
>
>I’ll get me shroud.

Such devastatingly sad news, Sid. I hope you can be made
comfortable. You will remain long and fondly in our memories.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham
chris@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1

Re: Ave atque vale

<ucbopht22jvkaj3iapoja3u1l3349qh4v2@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13163&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13163

From: pau...@paulherber.co.uk (Paul Herber)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 08:36:22 +0000
 by: Paul Herber - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 08:36 UTC

On Fri, 16 Dec 2022 06:56:53 +0000, Sid Nuncius <nuncius@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

>My dear friends,
>
>I have rather a sad announcement make, I’m afraid. In late October I
>went to the doc because I’d been exceptionally exhausted - hitherto
>attributed to the urological tribulations of the previous six months or
>so - and had rather persistent abdominal discomfort. Some rapid blood
>tests, a CT scan and a gastroscopy revealed that I have a large,
>bleeding, Grade 2 gastric tumour which has metastasised throughout my
>liver and into neighbouring lymph nodes (Stage 4). It’s incurable and
>my life expectancy, even with treatment, was estimated in months. I’ve
>been going downhill rather rapidly since then; I’m on serious opioid
>pain relief which, topped up with liquid morphine when required, is
>managing the pain fairly well most of the time. Eating is a problem
>now, and I’ve started liquid “meals” (which taste like melted vanilla
>ice cream) to try and get some nutrition into me.
>
>Chemotherapy will begin on 21st December (when ‘tis the yeares midnight
>and it is the dayes) and possibly immunotherapy if pathology results
>indicate that it is viable. Merry Christmas! It’s palliative and may
>help with symptoms, and it may possibly extend my life by a little, but
>not much. I have deteriorated badly in just the last week, so I’m not
>expecting a great deal, but will take any relief I can get – and any
>Amazing Miracles which are going, obviously.
>
>I’m afraid that this will probably be my last post here. I’ve been
>reading umra, but even that is now becoming difficult. I will look in
>if/when I can. If the chemo has an amazing effect I may be back
>briefly, but I wouldn’t advise breath-holding.
>
>Umra has been a part of my life for getting on for 25 years. It has
>been a rare haven of wit, decency, goodwill, helpfulness and friendship
>which I have treasured. Thank you to all of you for what you have given
>me for all these years; you have meant a lot to me.
>
>I’ll get me shroud.

MOPMOB.

--
Regards, Paul Herber
https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

Re: Ave atque vale

<tnhbij$3bd3n$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13164&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13164

From: toodle.p...@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 08:51:31 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:9ZSkqEdPE/TInhfgTTsp2nxIZnM=
 by: Mike McMillan - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 08:51 UTC

Sid Nuncius <nuncius@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
> My dear friends,
>
> I have rather a sad announcement make, I’m afraid. In late October I
> went to the doc because I’d been exceptionally exhausted - hitherto
> attributed to the urological tribulations of the previous six months or
> so - and had rather persistent abdominal discomfort. Some rapid blood
> tests, a CT scan and a gastroscopy revealed that I have a large,
> bleeding, Grade 2 gastric tumour which has metastasised throughout my
> liver and into neighbouring lymph nodes (Stage 4). It’s incurable and
> my life expectancy, even with treatment, was estimated in months. I’ve
> been going downhill rather rapidly since then; I’m on serious opioid
> pain relief which, topped up with liquid morphine when required, is
> managing the pain fairly well most of the time. Eating is a problem
> now, and I’ve started liquid “meals” (which taste like melted vanilla
> ice cream) to try and get some nutrition into me.
>
> Chemotherapy will begin on 21st December (when ‘tis the yeares midnight
> and it is the dayes) and possibly immunotherapy if pathology results
> indicate that it is viable. Merry Christmas! It’s palliative and may
> help with symptoms, and it may possibly extend my life by a little, but
> not much. I have deteriorated badly in just the last week, so I’m not
> expecting a great deal, but will take any relief I can get – and any
> Amazing Miracles which are going, obviously.
>
> I’m afraid that this will probably be my last post here. I’ve been
> reading umra, but even that is now becoming difficult. I will look in
> if/when I can. If the chemo has an amazing effect I may be back
> briefly, but I wouldn’t advise breath-holding.
>
> Umra has been a part of my life for getting on for 25 years. It has
> been a rare haven of wit, decency, goodwill, helpfulness and friendship
> which I have treasured. Thank you to all of you for what you have given
> me for all these years; you have meant a lot to me.
>
> I’ll get me shroud.

Oh Sid, this is the last type of posting we wanted to read with your name
attached. For years I have always read your posts with great interest and
have envied your eloquence in expressing opinions and explanations plus
your ability to sum matters up so elegantly. Whereas there is no right
person to experience what you are going through, you are definitely not a
person it should be happening too. I hope the palliative care helps you and
that the treatment you receive will be all you could wish. Your
enlightening, humorous, extremely ingenious and often sobering postings
will be much missed hereabouts. It’s a nugger and we will miss you muchly.
Sad news Sid, sad news indeed:-(((((((((

--
Mike McMillan

Re: Ave atque vale

<89eoph5t8itsdt9q10prnj58uto9ug1h6f@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13166&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13166

From: spa...@labyrinth.freeuk.com (Penny)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 09:25:32 +0000
 by: Penny - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 09:25 UTC

On Fri, 16 Dec 2022 06:56:53 +0000, Sid Nuncius <nuncius@hotmail.co.uk> a
gribouillé dans la poussière...

>My dear friends,
>
>I have rather a sad announcement make, I’m afraid.

So sad to hear this MOPMOB.
--
Penny
Annoyed by The Archers since 1959

Re: Ave atque vale

<k02s5fFklbpU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13167&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13167

From: Helle...@mail.com (Hellerat)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 11:31:12 +0200
 by: Hellerat - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 09:31 UTC

On 16/12/2022 08:56, Sid Nuncius wrote:
> My dear friends,
>
> I have rather a sad announcement make, I’m afraid.  In late October I went to the doc
> because I’d been exceptionally exhausted - hitherto attributed to the urological
> tribulations of the previous six months or so - and had rather persistent abdominal
> discomfort.  Some rapid blood tests, a CT scan and a gastroscopy revealed that I have a
> large, bleeding, Grade 2 gastric tumour which has metastasised throughout my liver and
> into neighbouring lymph nodes (Stage 4).  It’s incurable and my life expectancy, even with
> treatment, was estimated in months.  I’ve been going downhill rather rapidly since then;
> I’m on serious opioid pain relief which, topped up with liquid morphine when required, is
> managing the pain fairly well most of the time.  Eating is a problem now, and I’ve started
> liquid “meals” (which taste like melted vanilla ice cream) to try and get some nutrition
> into me.
>
> Chemotherapy will begin on 21st December (when ‘tis the yeares midnight and it is the
> dayes) and possibly immunotherapy if pathology results indicate that it is viable.  Merry
> Christmas!  It’s palliative and may help with symptoms, and it may possibly extend my life
> by a little, but not much.  I have deteriorated badly in just the last week, so I’m not
> expecting a great deal, but will take any relief I can get – and any Amazing Miracles
> which are going, obviously.
>
> I’m afraid that this will probably be my last post here.  I’ve been reading umra, but even
> that is now becoming difficult.  I will look in if/when I can.  If the chemo has an
> amazing effect I may be back briefly, but I wouldn’t advise breath-holding.
>
> Umra has been a part of my life for getting on for 25 years.  It has been a rare haven of
> wit, decency, goodwill, helpfulness and friendship which I have treasured.  Thank you to
> all of you for what you have given me for all these years; you have meant a lot to me.
>
> I’ll get me shroud.

Sod it. Not even a bag of crisps to help you along your way? I hope they continue to keep
the pain under control for you.

So, so, sorry, Sid. I echo the others' sentiments but am unable to be at all eloquent.

It was a pleasure to meet you, that once for tea with Jo the Swiss.

May you rest in peace.

--
Yassas,
Anne, Exceptionally Traditionally-built Hellerat

Re: Ave atque vale

<tnhefj$3bk3s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13168&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13168

From: chris.mc...@ntlworld.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 09:41:07 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:QFlf04fO/UDMNLU57xeuVvTv0Z8=
 by: Chris - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 09:41 UTC

Mike McMillan <toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com> wrote:
> Sid Nuncius <nuncius@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
>> My dear friends,
>>
>> I have rather a sad announcement make, I’m afraid. In late October I
>> went to the doc because I’d been exceptionally exhausted - hitherto
>> attributed to the urological tribulations of the previous six months or
>> so - and had rather persistent abdominal discomfort. Some rapid blood
>> tests, a CT scan and a gastroscopy revealed that I have a large,
>> bleeding, Grade 2 gastric tumour which has metastasised throughout my
>> liver and into neighbouring lymph nodes (Stage 4). It’s incurable and
>> my life expectancy, even with treatment, was estimated in months. I’ve
>> been going downhill rather rapidly since then; I’m on serious opioid
>> pain relief which, topped up with liquid morphine when required, is
>> managing the pain fairly well most of the time. Eating is a problem
>> now, and I’ve started liquid “meals” (which taste like melted vanilla
>> ice cream) to try and get some nutrition into me.
>>
>> Chemotherapy will begin on 21st December (when ‘tis the yeares midnight
>> and it is the dayes) and possibly immunotherapy if pathology results
>> indicate that it is viable. Merry Christmas! It’s palliative and may
>> help with symptoms, and it may possibly extend my life by a little, but
>> not much. I have deteriorated badly in just the last week, so I’m not
>> expecting a great deal, but will take any relief I can get – and any
>> Amazing Miracles which are going, obviously.
>>
>> I’m afraid that this will probably be my last post here. I’ve been
>> reading umra, but even that is now becoming difficult. I will look in
>> if/when I can. If the chemo has an amazing effect I may be back
>> briefly, but I wouldn’t advise breath-holding.
>>
>> Umra has been a part of my life for getting on for 25 years. It has
>> been a rare haven of wit, decency, goodwill, helpfulness and friendship
>> which I have treasured. Thank you to all of you for what you have given
>> me for all these years; you have meant a lot to me.
>>
>> I’ll get me shroud.
>
> Oh Sid, this is the last type of posting we wanted to read with your name
> attached. For years I have always read your posts with great interest and
> have envied your eloquence in expressing opinions and explanations plus
> your ability to sum matters up so elegantly. Whereas there is no right
> person to experience what you are going through, you are definitely not a
> person it should be happening too. I hope the palliative care helps you and
> that the treatment you receive will be all you could wish. Your
> enlightening, humorous, extremely ingenious and often sobering postings
> will be much missed hereabouts. It’s a nugger and we will miss you muchly.
> Sad news Sid, sad news indeed:-(((((((((

We’ll miss always listening for your input on Radio 3.

We might not have met you in person but your phone calls added much to the
bbq fun and all the egging on you’ve done in all our exploits and punfests.

Mrs McT

Re: Ave atque vale

<tnhf04$1332$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13169&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13169

From: krw...@whitnet.uk (krw)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 09:49:57 +0000
 by: krw - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 09:49 UTC

On 16.12.22 06:56, Sid Nuncius wrote:
> I have rather a sad announcement make, I’m afraid.

Oh expletive deleted.

I cannot add to our friends' comments apart from wishing that the medics
keep you out of pain for as long as possible and perhaps we can all meet
properly rather than virtually in our next lives.

--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk

Re: Ave atque vale

<k02tnuFk692U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13170&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13170

From: new...@jim-easterbrook.me.uk (Jim Easterbrook)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: 16 Dec 2022 09:57:18 GMT
 by: Jim Easterbrook - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 09:57 UTC

On Fri, 16 Dec 2022 06:56:53 +0000, Sid Nuncius wrote:

> My dear friends,
>
> I’m afraid that this will probably be my last post here. I’ve been
> reading umra, but even that is now becoming difficult. I will look in
> if/when I can. If the chemo has an amazing effect I may be back
> briefly, but I wouldn’t advise breath-holding.
>
> Umra has been a part of my life for getting on for 25 years. It has
> been a rare haven of wit, decency, goodwill, helpfulness and friendship
> which I have treasured. Thank you to all of you for what you have given
> me for all these years; you have meant a lot to me.

Oh Sid, I'm lost for words. I will miss your wit and wisdom more than I
can say.

--
Jim <http://www.jim-easterbrook.me.uk/>

Re: Ave atque vale

<8bfoph57vj8ie5fskmt7ca43dqct6013et@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13171&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13171

From: vicky.ay...@gmail.com (Vicky)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 10:00:34 +0000
 by: Vicky - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 10:00 UTC

<nuncius@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

>My dear friends,
>
>I have rather a sad announcement make, I’m afraid. In late October I
>went to the doc because I’d been exceptionally exhausted - hitherto
>attributed to the urological tribulations of the previous six months or
>so - and had rather persistent abdominal discomfort. Some rapid blood
>tests, a CT scan and a gastroscopy revealed that I have a large,
>bleeding, Grade 2 gastric tumour which has metastasised throughout my
>liver and into neighbouring lymph nodes (Stage 4). It’s incurable and
>my life expectancy, even with treatment, was estimated in months. I’ve
>been going downhill rather rapidly since then; I’m on serious opioid
>pain relief which, topped up with liquid morphine when required, is
>managing the pain fairly well most of the time. Eating is a problem
>now, and I’ve started liquid “meals” (which taste like melted vanilla
>ice cream) to try and get some nutrition into me.
>
>Chemotherapy will begin on 21st December (when ‘tis the yeares midnight
>and it is the dayes) and possibly immunotherapy if pathology results
>indicate that it is viable. Merry Christmas! It’s palliative and may
>help with symptoms, and it may possibly extend my life by a little, but
>not much. I have deteriorated badly in just the last week, so I’m not
>expecting a great deal, but will take any relief I can get – and any
>Amazing Miracles which are going, obviously.
>
>I’m afraid that this will probably be my last post here. I’ve been
>reading umra, but even that is now becoming difficult. I will look in
>if/when I can. If the chemo has an amazing effect I may be back
>briefly, but I wouldn’t advise breath-holding.
>
>Umra has been a part of my life for getting on for 25 years. It has
>been a rare haven of wit, decency, goodwill, helpfulness and friendship
>which I have treasured. Thank you to all of you for what you have given
>me for all these years; you have meant a lot to me.
>
>I’ll get me shroud.

I'm sorry, Sid, it's not Mornington Crescent. You forgot the ghost
station between Highgate and Archway You get a detour because of that,
which later avoids Euston entirely, and at King's Cross you have to
change on to the Metropolitan line. And even if you are prepared to
cheat, you'll be in the Clacks for ever, GNU Sid Nuncius.

I have noticed you've not been posting much for a while and did wonder
how things were. I'll miss you. We all will. Hopefully you will find
one of the medical strategies helps, or even works. So many times
doctors are surprised at the effect of treatment. 12 years ago, with
breast cancer, I was advised by a friend to take the chance of any
trials offered. It was good advice. But for now, thank you for all
the years of posts and I'm very sad. xxx

Re: Ave atque vale

<338a4854-03e1-42e2-a975-96de83d48a6an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13173&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13173

Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 02:22:09 -0800 (PST)
From: agsmith5...@gmail.com (Tony Smith)
 by: Tony Smith - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 10:22 UTC

On Friday, 16 December 2022 at 06:56:56 UTC, Sid Nuncius wrote:
> My dear friends,
>
> I have rather a sad announcement make, I’m afraid. In late October I
> went to the doc because I’d been exceptionally exhausted - hitherto
> attributed to the urological tribulations of the previous six months or
> so - and had rather persistent abdominal discomfort. Some rapid blood
> tests, a CT scan and a gastroscopy revealed that I have a large,
> bleeding, Grade 2 gastric tumour which has metastasised throughout my
> liver and into neighbouring lymph nodes (Stage 4). It’s incurable and
> my life expectancy, even with treatment, was estimated in months. I’ve
> been going downhill rather rapidly since then; I’m on serious opioid
> pain relief which, topped up with liquid morphine when required, is
> managing the pain fairly well most of the time. Eating is a problem
> now, and I’ve started liquid “meals” (which taste like melted vanilla
> ice cream) to try and get some nutrition into me.
>
> Chemotherapy will begin on 21st December (when ‘tis the yeares midnight
> and it is the dayes) and possibly immunotherapy if pathology results
> indicate that it is viable. Merry Christmas! It’s palliative and may
> help with symptoms, and it may possibly extend my life by a little, but
> not much. I have deteriorated badly in just the last week, so I’m not
> expecting a great deal, but will take any relief I can get – and any
> Amazing Miracles which are going, obviously.
>
> I’m afraid that this will probably be my last post here. I’ve been
> reading umra, but even that is now becoming difficult. I will look in
> if/when I can. If the chemo has an amazing effect I may be back
> briefly, but I wouldn’t advise breath-holding.
>
> Umra has been a part of my life for getting on for 25 years. It has
> been a rare haven of wit, decency, goodwill, helpfulness and friendship
> which I have treasured. Thank you to all of you for what you have given
> me for all these years; you have meant a lot to me.
>
> I’ll get me shroud.
> --
> Sid
> (Make sure Matron is away when you reply)

So sorry. I have enjoyed your posts.

Re: Ave atque vale

<tnhh0r$3bq37$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13174&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13174

From: chris.mc...@ntlworld.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 10:24:27 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:cuvW6s/ehmftz/sIMyZmndCYrx8=
 by: Chris - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 10:24 UTC

Hellerat <Hellerat@mail.com> wrote:
> On 16/12/2022 08:56, Sid Nuncius wrote:
>> My dear friends,
>>
>> I have rather a sad announcement make, I’m afraid.  In late October I went to the doc
>> because I’d been exceptionally exhausted - hitherto attributed to the urological
>> tribulations of the previous six months or so - and had rather persistent abdominal
>> discomfort.  Some rapid blood tests, a CT scan and a gastroscopy revealed that I have a
>> large, bleeding, Grade 2 gastric tumour which has metastasised throughout my liver and
>> into neighbouring lymph nodes (Stage 4).  It’s incurable and my life
>> expectancy, even with
>> treatment, was estimated in months.  I’ve been
>> going downhill rather rapidly since then;
>> I’m on serious opioid pain relief which, topped up with liquid morphine when required, is
>> managing the pain fairly well most of the time.  Eating is a problem
>> now, and I’ve started
>> liquid “meals” (which taste like melted
>> vanilla ice cream) to try and get some nutrition
>> into me.
>>
>> Chemotherapy will begin on 21st December (when ‘tis the yeares midnight and it is the
>> dayes) and possibly immunotherapy if pathology results indicate that it is viable.  Merry
>> Christmas!  It’s palliative and may help with symptoms, and it may
>> possibly extend my life
>> by a little, but not much.  I have
>> deteriorated badly in just the last week, so I’m not
>> expecting a great deal, but will take any relief I can get – and any Amazing Miracles
>> which are going, obviously.
>>
>> I’m afraid that this will probably be my last post here.  I’ve been
>> reading umra, but even
>> that is now becoming difficult.  I will look
>> in if/when I can.  If the chemo has an
>> amazing effect I may be back briefly, but I wouldn’t advise breath-holding.
>>
>> Umra has been a part of my life for getting on for 25 years.  It has been a rare haven of
>> wit, decency, goodwill, helpfulness and friendship which I have treasured.  Thank you to
>> all of you for what you have given me for all these years; you have meant a lot to me.
>>
>> I’ll get me shroud.
>
> Sod it. Not even a bag of crisps to help you along your way? I hope they continue to keep
> the pain under control for you.
>
> So, so, sorry, Sid. I echo the others' sentiments but am unable to be at all eloquent.
>
> It was a pleasure to meet you, that once for tea with Jo the Swiss.
>
> May you rest in peace.

The day I met Jo in “the Bush” with Lff and tnmf we weren’t able to meet.
So near and yet so far.

Mrs McT

Re: Ave atque vale

<k02vocFl56aU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13175&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13175

From: elv...@nospam.demon.co.uk (Kate B)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 10:31:40 +0000
 by: Kate B - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 10:31 UTC

On 16/12/2022 06:56, Sid Nuncius wrote:
> My dear friends,
>
> I have rather a sad announcement make, I’m afraid.  In late October I
> went to the doc because I’d been exceptionally exhausted - hitherto
> attributed to the urological tribulations of the previous six months or
> so - and had rather persistent abdominal discomfort.  Some rapid blood
> tests, a CT scan and a gastroscopy revealed that I have a large,
> bleeding, Grade 2 gastric tumour which has metastasised throughout my
> liver and into neighbouring lymph nodes (Stage 4).  It’s incurable and
> my life expectancy, even with treatment, was estimated in months.  I’ve
> been going downhill rather rapidly since then; I’m on serious opioid
> pain relief which, topped up with liquid morphine when required, is
> managing the pain fairly well most of the time.  Eating is a problem
> now, and I’ve started liquid “meals” (which taste like melted vanilla
> ice cream) to try and get some nutrition into me.
>
> Chemotherapy will begin on 21st December (when ‘tis the yeares midnight
> and it is the dayes) and possibly immunotherapy if pathology results
> indicate that it is viable.  Merry Christmas!  It’s palliative and may
> help with symptoms, and it may possibly extend my life by a little, but
> not much.  I have deteriorated badly in just the last week, so I’m not
> expecting a great deal, but will take any relief I can get – and any
> Amazing Miracles which are going, obviously.
>
> I’m afraid that this will probably be my last post here.  I’ve been
> reading umra, but even that is now becoming difficult.  I will look in
> if/when I can.  If the chemo has an amazing effect I may be back
> briefly, but I wouldn’t advise breath-holding.
>
> Umra has been a part of my life for getting on for 25 years.  It has
> been a rare haven of wit, decency, goodwill, helpfulness and friendship
> which I have treasured.  Thank you to all of you for what you have given
> me for all these years; you have meant a lot to me.
>
> I’ll get me shroud.

Oh dear, dear Sid. I knew it was a bad idea to keep your coffin handy,
Donne thing or no. You have been a guiding light to us from your
campanile lighthouse, your good sense, your compassion, and your wicked
wit have sustained us all. I'll miss you very much.

much love

--
Kate B

Re: Ave atque vale

<k031m1Flcr7U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13176&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13176

From: rtilbury...@gmail.com (BrritSki)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 11:04:32 +0000
 by: BrritSki - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 11:04 UTC

On 16/12/2022 06:56, Sid Nuncius wrote:
> My dear friends,
>
> I have rather a sad announcement make...

Sitting here in tears and can only LW at all the comments from this
wonderful community.

Although we have never met Sid, and we don't agree politically, I
consider you one of my 2 best friends and the finest of men.

[[[[[manly]]]]]

Re: Ave atque vale

<3257439a-0be9-4241-960b-849c3c4be87dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13177&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13177

Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 03:28:15 -0800 (PST)
From: laura.sp...@gmail.com (Laura Spira)
 by: Laura Spira - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 11:28 UTC

On Friday, 16 December 2022 at 06:56:56 UTC, Sid Nuncius wrote:
> My dear friends,
>
> I have rather a sad announcement make, I’m afraid.
> I’ll get me shroud.
> --
> Sid
> (Make sure Matron is away when you reply)

Oh Sid, still twinkling against all the odds. Who will now persuade me to read books I would never have considered? You'll be greatly missed on Goodreads as well as here. I wish you every comfort and an easy journey, and I wish your loved ones the solace of many happy memories. And I'll be looking for your messages in the skies.

Laura

Re: Ave atque vale

<k033nsFloirU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13178&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13178

From: ruddock...@btinternet.com (Mike Ruddock)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 11:39:51 +0000
 by: Mike Ruddock - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 11:39 UTC

On 16/12/2022 11:28, Laura Spira wrote:
> On Friday, 16 December 2022 at 06:56:56 UTC, Sid Nuncius wrote:
>> My dear friends,
>>
>> I have rather a sad announcement make, I’m afraid.
>> I’ll get me shroud.
>> --
>> Sid
>> (Make sure Matron is away when you reply)
>
> Oh Sid, still twinkling against all the odds. Who will now persuade me to read books I would never have considered? You'll be greatly missed on Goodreads as well as here. I wish you every comfort and an easy journey, and I wish your loved ones the solace of many happy memories. And I'll be looking for your messages in the skies.
>
> Laura

There is nothing I can add to the tributes here, except to say that the
world of education lost a jewel when you were struck down, Sid. Like
Brritski I rank you as one of my best friends.

Dylan Thomas had it right "Rail, rail . . . "

Mike Ruddock

Re: Ave atque vale

<tnhmms$nha$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13179&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13179

From: stevehag...@gmail.com (steve hague)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 12:01:31 +0000
 by: steve hague - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 12:01 UTC

On 16/12/2022 06:56, Sid Nuncius wrote:
> My dear friends,
>
> I have rather a sad announcement make, I’m afraid.  In late October I
> went to the doc because I’d been exceptionally exhausted - hitherto
> attributed to the urological tribulations of the previous six months or
> so - and had rather persistent abdominal discomfort.  Some rapid blood
> tests, a CT scan and a gastroscopy revealed that I have a large,
> bleeding, Grade 2 gastric tumour which has metastasised throughout my
> liver and into neighbouring lymph nodes (Stage 4).  It’s incurable and
> my life expectancy, even with treatment, was estimated in months.  I’ve
> been going downhill rather rapidly since then; I’m on serious opioid
> pain relief which, topped up with liquid morphine when required, is
> managing the pain fairly well most of the time.  Eating is a problem
> now, and I’ve started liquid “meals” (which taste like melted vanilla
> ice cream) to try and get some nutrition into me.
>
> Chemotherapy will begin on 21st December (when ‘tis the yeares midnight
> and it is the dayes) and possibly immunotherapy if pathology results
> indicate that it is viable.  Merry Christmas!  It’s palliative and may
> help with symptoms, and it may possibly extend my life by a little, but
> not much.  I have deteriorated badly in just the last week, so I’m not
> expecting a great deal, but will take any relief I can get – and any
> Amazing Miracles which are going, obviously.
>
> I’m afraid that this will probably be my last post here.  I’ve been
> reading umra, but even that is now becoming difficult.  I will look in
> if/when I can.  If the chemo has an amazing effect I may be back
> briefly, but I wouldn’t advise breath-holding.
>
> Umra has been a part of my life for getting on for 25 years.  It has
> been a rare haven of wit, decency, goodwill, helpfulness and friendship
> which I have treasured.  Thank you to all of you for what you have given
> me for all these years; you have meant a lot to me.
>
> I’ll get me shroud.
Terrible news my friend. Miracles happen sometimes, and I shall be
praying for one for you.
Steve

Re: Ave atque vale

<tnhn26$3c7v9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13180&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13180

From: cli...@nowaytoday.co.uk (Clive Arthur)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 12:07:33 +0000
 by: Clive Arthur - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 12:07 UTC

On 16/12/2022 06:56, Sid Nuncius wrote:
> My dear friends,
>
> I have rather a sad announcement make, I’m afraid.

<snip>

> I’ll get me shroud.

At the risk of being blackballed by the Misanthropic Society, I'm very,
very sorry to read that, Sid.

--
Farewell
Clive

Re: Ave atque vale

<k036vcFm8ubU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13181&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13181

From: NemoN...@hotmail.co.uk (Jenny M Benson)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 12:34:49 +0000
 by: Jenny M Benson - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 12:34 UTC

On 16/12/2022 11:04, BrritSki wrote:

> Sitting here in tears

Likewise. Sometimes it is impossible not to be cross with God. My best
wishes go to Matron at this very difficult time.
--
Jenny M Benson
Wrexham, UK

Re: Ave atque vale

<tnhrhi$3cinm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13182&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13182

From: walneyr...@gmail.com (Rosalind Mitchell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 13:24:02 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Rosalind Mitchell - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 13:24 UTC

On Fri, 16 Dec 2022 06:56:53 +0000, Sid Nuncius wrote:

> My dear friends,
>
> I have rather a sad announcement make, I’m afraid.

I have been summoned urgently to Umra by a starry messenger of another
hue.

This is sad news indeed, Sid. I know we had our spats in the distant past.
These were entirely down to my own insecurity and of course you knew that
and handled me well. Maybe it takes a very special person to do that, but
you have been a special person anyway, in so many ways. To many of us you
just *are* Umra, and indeed the GoodReads review space.

It's hard to know what to say. I know you will confront the coming weeks
with dignity, courage and resilience and I will be with you in spirit.

Go well, mon brave.

Rosie XXX

Re: Ave atque vale

<tnhrhk$sh4$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13183&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13183

From: linda...@ntlworld.com (Linda Fox)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 13:24:04 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Linda Fox - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 13:24 UTC

Sid Nuncius <nuncius@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

> I’ll get me shroud.

Typing through tears, this atheist is praying for a miracle, with a side
order of a safe and comfortable journey. If you meet with TNMF on the way,
I've already told him to keep a lookout for you.

(As it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be...) Sid, you WERE
umra. You still are. And as long as GG keeps its archives open, you still
will be.

Love from lff

Re: Ave atque vale

<rnsoph5j51076ubmqfso7d3c0cu6qj0b76@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13184&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13184

From: vicky.ay...@gmail.com (Vicky)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 13:33:59 +0000
 by: Vicky - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 13:33 UTC

On Fri, 16 Dec 2022 13:24:04 -0000 (UTC), Linda Fox
<linda.ff@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>Sid Nuncius <nuncius@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> I’ll get me shroud.
>
>Typing through tears, this atheist is praying for a miracle, with a side
>order of a safe and comfortable journey. If you meet with TNMF on the way,
>I've already told him to keep a lookout for you.

I was tearful too at the news, Linda, but this got to me more. Maybe
there is a heavenly chocolate bunker and all our lost friends gather
there now and then and there is lemon drizzle cake and all the treats
we talk about.

>(As it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be...) Sid, you WERE
>umra. You still are. And as long as GG keeps its archives open, you still
>will be.
>
>Love from lff

Re: Ave atque vale

<tnhsk6$3beoi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13185&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13185

From: nos...@blanchflower.me.uk (Serena Blanchflower)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 13:42:30 +0000
 by: Serena Blanchflower - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 13:42 UTC

On 16/12/2022 06:56, Sid Nuncius wrote:
> I’ll get me shroud.

Oh nugger!

I can only echo what other umrats have said but I'm so sorry to hear
this - umra, and the world, will be sadder, and less interesting, places
without you.

May whatever time you have left be comfortable and filled with as much
love and laughter as is possible. You will be much missed.

--
Best wishes, Serena
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened.

Re: Ave atque vale

<tnht08$3co4q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13186&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13186

From: toodle.p...@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 13:48:56 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:g5WB2xpISv5UIB0CLpc0gjylNgE=
 by: Mike McMillan - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 13:48 UTC

Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Dec 2022 13:24:04 -0000 (UTC), Linda Fox
> <linda.ff@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
>> Sid Nuncius <nuncius@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
>>>
>>> I’ll get me shroud.
>>
>> Typing through tears, this atheist is praying for a miracle, with a side
>> order of a safe and comfortable journey. If you meet with TNMF on the way,
>> I've already told him to keep a lookout for you.
>
> I was tearful too at the news, Linda, but this got to me more. Maybe
> there is a heavenly chocolate bunker and all our lost friends gather
> there now and then and there is lemon drizzle cake and all the treats
> we talk about.
>>
>> (As it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be...) Sid, you WERE
>> umra. You still are. And as long as GG keeps its archives open, you still
>> will be.
>>
>> Love from lff

Just to add to that wot I ritted earlier:

This morning we heard that our Air Source Heat Pump installation is
scheduled to start on the 8th. of February, the make is Daikin but, ours
will from now on is be known as Sid. Heat pumps give out far more than one
puts in and in UMRA, generally Umrats give back as much as they get but in
Sid’s case he has unfailingly always given back so much more than this!
Sid, we will miss you.

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan