19 May, 2024: Line wrapping has been changed to be consistent with Usenet standards.

aus+uk / uk.media.radio.archers / Re: Ave atque vale

SubjectAuthor
* Ave atque valeSid Nuncius
+- Re: Ave atque valeJohn Ashby
+- Re: Ave atque valeChris J Dixon
+- Re: Ave atque valePaul Herber
+* Re: Ave atque valeMike McMillan
|+- Re: Ave atque valeChris
|`- Re: Ave atque valeSally Thompson
+- Re: Ave atque valePenny
+* Re: Ave atque valeHellerat
|`- Re: Ave atque valeChris
+- Re: Ave atque valekrw
+- Re: Ave atque valeJim Easterbrook
+- Re: Ave atque valeVicky
+- Re: Ave atque valeTony Smith
+* Re: Ave atque valeKate B
|`- Re: Ave atque valeChris
+* Re: Ave atque valeBrritSki
|`- Re: Ave atque valeJenny M Benson
+* Re: Ave atque valeLaura Spira
|`- Re: Ave atque valeMike Ruddock
+- Re: Ave atque valesteve hague
+- Re: Ave atque valeClive Arthur
+- Re: Ave atque valeRosalind Mitchell
+* Re: Ave atque valeLinda Fox
|`* Re: Ave atque valeVicky
| `* Re: Ave atque valeMike McMillan
|  `* Re: Ave atque valeChris
|   `- Re: Ave atque valeMike McMillan
+- Re: Ave atque valeSerena Blanchflower
+- Re: Ave atque valeNick Odell
+- Re: Ave atque valesteveski
+- Re: Ave atque valeJohn Ashby
+- Re: Ave atque valesmith
+- Re: Ave atque valeJoe Kerr
+* Re: Ave atque valeSam Plusnet
|`* the latinChris
| +* Re: the latinPaul Herber
| |`- Re: the latinPaul Herber
| `* Re: the latinLinda Fox
|  `* Re: the latinTony Smith
|   `* Re: the latinPenny
|    `* Re: the latinJohn Armstrong
|     +- Re: the latinMike McMillan
|     `* Re: the latinJohn Ashby
|      +- Re: the latinMike McMillan
|      `* Re: the latinSam Plusnet
|       +* Re: the latinKate B
|       |`- Re: the latinSam Plusnet
|       `- Re: the latinJohn Armstrong
+- Re: Ave atque valeRob Linham
+- Re: Ave atque valeBen Blaney
+- Re: Ave atque valeNigel Eaton
`* Re: Ave atque valeMin
 `- Re: Ave atque valeAxlegrease

Pages:123
Re: Ave atque vale

<tnhuba$3crse$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13187&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13187

From: chris.mc...@ntlworld.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: Ave atque vale
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 14:11:54 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:9qRsBbVHqhAg+LpY+kpShaCybgQ=
 by: Chris - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 14:11 UTC

Kate B <elvira@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> On 16/12/2022 06:56, Sid Nuncius wrote:
>> My dear friends,
>>
>> I have rather a sad announcement make, I’m afraid.  In late October I
>> went to the doc because I’d been exceptionally exhausted - hitherto
>> attributed to the urological tribulations of the previous six months or
>> so - and had rather persistent abdominal discomfort.  Some rapid blood
>> tests, a CT scan and a gastroscopy revealed that I have a large,
>> bleeding, Grade 2 gastric tumour which has metastasised throughout my
>> liver and into neighbouring lymph nodes (Stage 4).  It’s incurable and
>> my life expectancy, even with treatment, was estimated in months.  I’ve
>> been going downhill rather rapidly since then; I’m on serious opioid
>> pain relief which, topped up with liquid morphine when required, is
>> managing the pain fairly well most of the time.  Eating is a problem
>> now, and I’ve started liquid “meals” (which taste like melted vanilla
>> ice cream) to try and get some nutrition into me.
>>
>> Chemotherapy will begin on 21st December (when ‘tis the yeares midnight
>> and it is the dayes) and possibly immunotherapy if pathology results
>> indicate that it is viable.  Merry Christmas!  It’s palliative and may
>> help with symptoms, and it may possibly extend my life by a little, but
>> not much.  I have deteriorated badly in just the last week, so I’m not
>> expecting a great deal, but will take any relief I can get – and any
>> Amazing Miracles which are going, obviously.
>>
>> I’m afraid that this will probably be my last post here.  I’ve been
>> reading umra, but even that is now becoming difficult.  I will look in
>> if/when I can.  If the chemo has an amazing effect I may be back
>> briefly, but I wouldn’t advise breath-holding.
>>
>> Umra has been a part of my life for getting on for 25 years.  It has
>> been a rare haven of wit, decency, goodwill, helpfulness and friendship
>> which I have treasured.  Thank you to all of you for what you have given
>> me for all these years; you have meant a lot to me.
>>
>> I’ll get me shroud.
>
> Oh dear, dear Sid. I knew it was a bad idea to keep your coffin handy,
> Donne thing or no. You have been a guiding light to us from your
> campanile lighthouse, your good sense, your compassion, and your wicked
> wit have sustained us all. I'll miss you very much.
>
> much love

I’ve also heard from Jpeg. He sends many wishes for much timely support as
you (and Matron) need it.

Mrs McT

Re: Ave atque vale

<tnhuo1$3csrt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13188&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13188

From: chris.mc...@ntlworld.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 14:18:41 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:98GuFYifye0dK3TqdXl21rLRlaI=
 by: Chris - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 14:18 UTC

Mike McMillan <toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com> wrote:
> Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, 16 Dec 2022 13:24:04 -0000 (UTC), Linda Fox
>> <linda.ff@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>>> Typing through tears, this atheist is praying for a miracle, with a side
>>> order of a safe and comfortable journey. If you meet with TNMF on the way,
>>> I've already told him to keep a lookout for you.
>>
>> I was tearful too at the news, Linda, but this got to me more. Maybe
>> there is a heavenly chocolate bunker and all our lost friends gather
>> there now and then and there is lemon drizzle cake and all the treats
>> we talk about.
>>>
>>> (As it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be...) Sid, you WERE
>>> umra. You still are. And as long as GG keeps its archives open, you still
>>> will be.
>>>
>>> Love from lff
>>

> Just to add to that wot I ritted earlier:
>
> This morning we heard that our Air Source Heat Pump installation is
> scheduled to start on the 8th. of February, the make is Daikin but, ours
> will from now on is be known as Sid. Heat pumps give out far more than one
> puts in and in UMRA, generally Umrats give back as much as they get but in
> Sid’s case he has unfailingly always given back so much more than this!
> Sid, we will miss you.

McT didn’t tell me that we needed to name our air source heat pump so news
to moi also.

I can’t partake since I became allergic to all chocolate but the rest of
you get out your favourite bars from the bunker. I have to go and meet
some Hong Kongers now so leaving the bunker key with McT himself.

Chris

Re: Ave atque vale

<tni09r$3d11n$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13189&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13189

From: toodle.p...@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 14:45:15 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:OFgRldP47lAXTpFFMcg0xgYtYI0=
 by: Mike McMillan - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 14:45 UTC

Chris <chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> Mike McMillan <toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com> wrote:
>> Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I was tearful too at the news, Linda, but this got to me more. Maybe
>>> there is a heavenly chocolate bunker and all our lost friends gather
>>> there now and then and there is lemon drizzle cake and all the treats
>>> we talk about.

>> Just to add to that wot I ritted earlier:
>>
>> This morning we heard that our Air Source Heat Pump installation is
>> scheduled to start on the 8th. of February, the make is Daikin but, ours
>> will from now on is be known as Sid. Heat pumps give out far more than one
>> puts in and in UMRA, generally Umrats give back as much as they get but in
>> Sid’s case he has unfailingly always given back so much more than this!
>> Sid, we will miss you.
>>

> McT didn’t tell me that we needed to name our air source heat pump so news
> to moi also.
>
> I can’t partake since I became allergic to all chocolate but the rest of
> you get out your favourite bars from the bunker. I have to go and meet
> some Hong Kongers now so leaving the bunker key with McT himself.
>
> Chris

“Leaving the key with”? All Umrats have a key anyway!

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: Ave atque vale

<k03g7oFnkntU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13190&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13190

From: thompson...@gmail.com.invalid (Sally Thompson)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: 16 Dec 2022 15:12:56 GMT
 by: Sally Thompson - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 15:12 UTC

What he said :-(

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK

Re: Ave atque vale

<gv2pphpc2a9pk7gg7n04ck38ovtdjgt5dm@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13191&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13191

From: nickodel...@yahoo.ca (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 15:32:31 +0000
 by: Nick Odell - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 15:32 UTC

On Fri, 16 Dec 2022 06:56:53 +0000, Sid Nuncius
<nuncius@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

>My dear friends,
>
>I have rather a sad announcement make, I’m afraid. In late October I
>went to the doc because I’d been exceptionally exhausted - hitherto
>attributed to the urological tribulations of the previous six months or
>so - and had rather persistent abdominal discomfort. Some rapid blood
>tests, a CT scan and a gastroscopy revealed that I have a large,
>bleeding, Grade 2 gastric tumour which has metastasised throughout my
>liver and into neighbouring lymph nodes (Stage 4). It’s incurable and
>my life expectancy, even with treatment, was estimated in months. I’ve
>been going downhill rather rapidly since then; I’m on serious opioid
>pain relief which, topped up with liquid morphine when required, is
>managing the pain fairly well most of the time. Eating is a problem
>now, and I’ve started liquid “meals” (which taste like melted vanilla
>ice cream) to try and get some nutrition into me.
>
>Chemotherapy will begin on 21st December (when ‘tis the yeares midnight
>and it is the dayes) and possibly immunotherapy if pathology results
>indicate that it is viable. Merry Christmas! It’s palliative and may
>help with symptoms, and it may possibly extend my life by a little, but
>not much. I have deteriorated badly in just the last week, so I’m not
>expecting a great deal, but will take any relief I can get – and any
>Amazing Miracles which are going, obviously.
>
>I’m afraid that this will probably be my last post here. I’ve been
>reading umra, but even that is now becoming difficult. I will look in
>if/when I can. If the chemo has an amazing effect I may be back
>briefly, but I wouldn’t advise breath-holding.
>
>Umra has been a part of my life for getting on for 25 years. It has
>been a rare haven of wit, decency, goodwill, helpfulness and friendship
>which I have treasured. Thank you to all of you for what you have given
>me for all these years; you have meant a lot to me.
>
>I’ll get me shroud.

Dear Sid,

Along with Kate's words and Brritski's manly hug all I have to offer
is - Bugger.

Thank you for being a dear friend and teacher to me and to so many
others.

With love,

Nick

Re: Ave atque vale

<k03knuFoatlU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13192&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13192

From: ste...@invalid.com (steveski)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 16:29:50 +0000
 by: steveski - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 16:29 UTC

On 16/12/2022 06:56, Sid Nuncius wrote:
> My dear friends,
>
> I have rather a sad announcement make, I’m afraid.  In late October I
> went to the doc because I’d been exceptionally exhausted - hitherto
> attributed to the urological tribulations of the previous six months or
> so - and had rather persistent abdominal discomfort.  Some rapid blood
> tests, a CT scan and a gastroscopy revealed that I have a large,
> bleeding, Grade 2 gastric tumour which has metastasised throughout my
> liver and into neighbouring lymph nodes (Stage 4).  It’s incurable and
> my life expectancy, even with treatment, was estimated in months.  I’ve
> been going downhill rather rapidly since then; I’m on serious opioid
> pain relief which, topped up with liquid morphine when required, is
> managing the pain fairly well most of the time.  Eating is a problem
> now, and I’ve started liquid “meals” (which taste like melted vanilla
> ice cream) to try and get some nutrition into me.
>
> Chemotherapy will begin on 21st December (when ‘tis the yeares midnight
> and it is the dayes) and possibly immunotherapy if pathology results
> indicate that it is viable.  Merry Christmas!  It’s palliative and may
> help with symptoms, and it may possibly extend my life by a little, but
> not much.  I have deteriorated badly in just the last week, so I’m not
> expecting a great deal, but will take any relief I can get – and any
> Amazing Miracles which are going, obviously.
>
> I’m afraid that this will probably be my last post here.  I’ve been
> reading umra, but even that is now becoming difficult.  I will look in
> if/when I can.  If the chemo has an amazing effect I may be back
> briefly, but I wouldn’t advise breath-holding.
>
> Umra has been a part of my life for getting on for 25 years.  It has
> been a rare haven of wit, decency, goodwill, helpfulness and friendship
> which I have treasured.  Thank you to all of you for what you have given
> me for all these years; you have meant a lot to me.
>
> I’ll get me shroud.

So sorry to hear this MOPMOB

--
Steveski

Re: Ave atque vale

<tni8vq$3d8pu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13193&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13193

From: johnashb...@yahoo.com (John Ashby)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 17:13:30 +0000
 by: John Ashby - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 17:13 UTC

On 16/12/2022 06:56, Sid Nuncius wrote:
> My dear friends,
>
> I have rather a sad announcement make, I’m afraid.  In late October I
> went to the doc because I’d been exceptionally exhausted - hitherto
> attributed to the urological tribulations of the previous six months or
> so - and had rather persistent abdominal discomfort.  Some rapid blood
> tests, a CT scan and a gastroscopy revealed that I have a large,
> bleeding, Grade 2 gastric tumour which has metastasised throughout my
> liver and into neighbouring lymph nodes (Stage 4).  It’s incurable and
> my life expectancy, even with treatment, was estimated in months.  I’ve
> been going downhill rather rapidly since then; I’m on serious opioid
> pain relief which, topped up with liquid morphine when required, is
> managing the pain fairly well most of the time.  Eating is a problem
> now, and I’ve started liquid “meals” (which taste like melted vanilla
> ice cream) to try and get some nutrition into me.
>
> Chemotherapy will begin on 21st December (when ‘tis the yeares midnight
> and it is the dayes) and possibly immunotherapy if pathology results
> indicate that it is viable.  Merry Christmas!  It’s palliative and may
> help with symptoms, and it may possibly extend my life by a little, but
> not much.  I have deteriorated badly in just the last week, so I’m not
> expecting a great deal, but will take any relief I can get – and any
> Amazing Miracles which are going, obviously.
>
> I’m afraid that this will probably be my last post here.  I’ve been
> reading umra, but even that is now becoming difficult.  I will look in
> if/when I can.  If the chemo has an amazing effect I may be back
> briefly, but I wouldn’t advise breath-holding.
>
> Umra has been a part of my life for getting on for 25 years.  It has
> been a rare haven of wit, decency, goodwill, helpfulness and friendship
> which I have treasured.  Thank you to all of you for what you have given
> me for all these years; you have meant a lot to me.
>
> I’ll get me shroud.

I do hope there will be somebody primed to make the formal announcement
to umra when the time comes. And I also hope that it will not be for
some time unless the living becomes unbearable.

john

Re: Ave atque vale

<k041idFq7q4U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13194&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13194

From: steve...@invalid.com (smith)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 20:08:45 +0000
 by: smith - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 20:08 UTC

On 16/12/2022 06:56, Sid Nuncius wrote:
> My dear friends,
>
> I have rather a sad announcement make, I’m afraid.  In late October I
> went to the doc because I’d been exceptionally exhausted - hitherto
> attributed to the urological tribulations of the previous six months or
> so - and had rather persistent abdominal discomfort.  Some rapid blood
> tests, a CT scan and a gastroscopy revealed that I have a large,
> bleeding, Grade 2 gastric tumour which has metastasised throughout my
> liver and into neighbouring lymph nodes (Stage 4).  It’s incurable and
> my life expectancy, even with treatment, was estimated in months.  I’ve
> been going downhill rather rapidly since then; I’m on serious opioid
> pain relief which, topped up with liquid morphine when required, is
> managing the pain fairly well most of the time.  Eating is a problem
> now, and I’ve started liquid “meals” (which taste like melted vanilla
> ice cream) to try and get some nutrition into me.
>
> Chemotherapy will begin on 21st December (when ‘tis the yeares midnight
> and it is the dayes) and possibly immunotherapy if pathology results
> indicate that it is viable.  Merry Christmas!  It’s palliative and may
> help with symptoms, and it may possibly extend my life by a little, but
> not much.  I have deteriorated badly in just the last week, so I’m not
> expecting a great deal, but will take any relief I can get – and any
> Amazing Miracles which are going, obviously.
>
> I’m afraid that this will probably be my last post here.  I’ve been
> reading umra, but even that is now becoming difficult.  I will look in
> if/when I can.  If the chemo has an amazing effect I may be back
> briefly, but I wouldn’t advise breath-holding.
>
> Umra has been a part of my life for getting on for 25 years.  It has
> been a rare haven of wit, decency, goodwill, helpfulness and friendship
> which I have treasured.  Thank you to all of you for what you have given
> me for all these years; you have meant a lot to me.
>
> I’ll get me shroud.

Sid, I'm so sorry to hear this. Fare well MOPMOB

--
Steveski

Re: Ave atque vale

<tnik1r$get$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13195&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13195

From: joe_k...@cheerful.com (Joe Kerr)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 20:22:19 +0000
 by: Joe Kerr - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 20:22 UTC

On 16/12/2022 06:56, Sid Nuncius wrote:
> My dear friends,
>
> I have rather a sad announcement make, I’m afraid.

Nugger. Nugger. Thrice Nugger.

What will we do without your inspiration and words of wisdom? It has
been a pleasure knowing you (and continues to be so). I echo all that
has been said above.

I offer this in the spirit of hope. Doctors do not always get it right.
I was told 51 weeks ago that my sister had days (or weeks) to live. She
is still very much with us. May the same apply to you.

--
Ric

Re: Ave atque vale

<zz4nL.1509414$9f26.430629@fx09.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13196&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13196

Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 20:30:22 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 20:30 UTC

On 16-Dec-22 6:56, Sid Nuncius wrote:
> My dear friends,

> I’ll get me shroud.

Bugger Bugger Bugger!
Lost for words, and that's all I can come up with.

I've never met you in the flesh, but sheer force of personality projects
clearly through the typed word over all these years.

Please know that you have touched many lives.

--
Sam Plusnet

the latin

<tnip17$3f07q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13197&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13197

From: chris.mc...@ntlworld.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: the latin
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 21:47:19 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:zhcShdqIyq3Hx03i9+iYD53y8oc=
 by: Chris - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 21:47 UTC

I hadn’t noticed Google has latin, McT asked idly for a translation which I
found, but on asking for “bugger”, it failed. This has been a PSA.

The obedient Mrs McT

Re: the latin

<02qpphdjiuou1ub59ib2kop1uotgsishs2@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13198&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13198

From: pau...@paulherber.co.uk (Paul Herber)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: the latin
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 21:51:16 +0000
 by: Paul Herber - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 21:51 UTC

On Fri, 16 Dec 2022 21:47:19 -0000 (UTC), Chris <chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>I hadn’t noticed Google has latin, McT asked idly for a translation which I
>found, but on asking for “bugger”, it failed. This has been a PSA.
>
>The obedient Mrs McT

Hail, and farewell.

--
Regards, Paul Herber
https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

Re: the latin

<86qpph9kne62m2vguj858ujkop23qfc653@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13199&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13199

From: pau...@paulherber.co.uk (Paul Herber)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 21:53:48 +0000
 by: Paul Herber - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 21:53 UTC

On Fri, 16 Dec 2022 21:51:16 +0000, Paul Herber <paul@paulherber.co.uk> wrote:

>On Fri, 16 Dec 2022 21:47:19 -0000 (UTC), Chris <chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
>>I hadn’t noticed Google has latin, McT asked idly for a translation which I
>>found, but on asking for “bugger”, it failed. This has been a PSA.
>>
>>The obedient Mrs McT
>>

>Hail, and farewell.

Must read before posting. Must read before posting. Must read before posting..

--
Regards, Paul Herber
https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

Re: the latin

<tnirui$1n3k$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13201&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13201

From: linda...@ntlworld.com (Linda Fox)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 22:37:06 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Linda Fox - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 22:37 UTC

Chris <chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> I hadn’t noticed Google has latin, McT asked idly for a translation which I
> found, but on asking for “bugger”, it failed. This has been a PSA.
>
> The obedient Mrs McT

Google translate on my phone said bugger was pedica, which when I reverse
translated was... legs????

Oh bugger came out as O bugger.

--
Linda ff

Re: the latin

<52174c33-233e-4b40-a4d5-9019ac221fa9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13204&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13204

Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2022 03:49:46 -0800 (PST)
From: agsmith5...@gmail.com (Tony Smith)
 by: Tony Smith - Sat, 17 Dec 2022 11:49 UTC

On Friday, 16 December 2022 at 22:37:08 UTC, Linda Fox wrote:
> Chris <chris.m...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> > I hadn’t noticed Google has latin, McT asked idly for a translation which I
> > found, but on asking for “bugger”, it failed. This has been a PSA.
> >
> > The obedient Mrs McT
> >
> Google translate on my phone said bugger was pedica, which when I reverse
> translated was... legs????
>
> Oh bugger came out as O bugger.
>
> --
> Linda ff

Google translate is useless for Latin. For translation into modern languages I know a bit of, it is usable with care.

Re: the latin

<vrsrpht75g3c3i96b8e5vtlfcbgpjrhqpn@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13206&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13206

From: spa...@labyrinth.freeuk.com (Penny)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2022 17:16:38 +0000
 by: Penny - Sat, 17 Dec 2022 17:16 UTC

On Friday, 16 December 2022 at 22:37:08 UTC, Linda Fox a gribouillé dans
la poussière...

> Google translate on my phone said bugger was pedica, which when I reverse
> translated was... legs????
>
> Oh bugger came out as O bugger.

Flipping languages in Google translate can often be fun, particularly with
Latin.

I tried some other modern swear words and got:
F*** > irrumabo > I will wander > errabo > I will be wrong > ego iniuriam >
I was wrong > eravi
bugger > pedica > legs > crura > legs
c*** > c*** > count > numerare
Some are so close to the Latin you'd expect the result to just stall, but
bastard > bastardis > bastards > nothi > unknown > ignotus

I think Malinda has stopped doing Google translated song lyrics now but
there are many on her 'Google translate sings' account on YouTube which may
amuse.
--
Penny
Annoyed by The Archers since 1959

Re: Ave atque vale

<e8929c87-47a1-4e39-ae91-9df1d664e51dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13210&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13210

Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2022 13:53:17 -0800 (PST)
From: rob.lin...@gmail.com (Rob Linham)
 by: Rob Linham - Sat, 17 Dec 2022 21:53 UTC

On Friday, 16 December 2022 at 06:56:56 UTC, Sid Nuncius wrote:
> Umra has been a part of my life for getting on for 25 years. It has
> been a rare haven of wit, decency, goodwill, helpfulness and friendship
> which I have treasured. Thank you to all of you for what you have given
> me for all these years; you have meant a lot to me.

(This would seem to be one of those umratic posts that causes the distantly departed to make unexpected cameo appearances; though in my case it has taken me fully 24 hours to remember how to operate this apparatus and even now I fear committing some appalling formatting faux pas.)

Sid, I'm so desperately sad to hear your news: we may never have met in person, but I have nothing but the fondest memories of our conversations when I still frequented these parts. I can only hope that Matron treats you benevolently in these trying times.

Go well, my dear old thing.

Rob

Re: the latin

<q4ltph57rcibko0qhm69lkj4klog8v8oju@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13212&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13212

From: jja...@blueyonder.co.uk (John Armstrong)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2022 08:55:33 +0000
 by: John Armstrong - Sun, 18 Dec 2022 08:55 UTC

On Sat, 17 Dec 2022 17:16:38 +0000, Penny <spam@labyrinth.freeuk.com>
wrote:

>On Friday, 16 December 2022 at 22:37:08 UTC, Linda Fox a gribouillé dans
>la poussière...
>
>> Google translate on my phone said bugger was pedica, which when I reverse
>> translated was... legs????
>>
>> Oh bugger came out as O bugger.
>
>Flipping languages in Google translate can often be fun, particularly with
>Latin.
>
>I tried some other modern swear words and got:
>F*** > irrumabo > I will wander > errabo > I will be wrong > ego iniuriam >
>I was wrong > eravi
>bugger > pedica > legs > crura > legs
>c*** > c*** > count > numerare
>Some are so close to the Latin you'd expect the result to just stall, but
>bastard > bastardis > bastards > nothi > unknown > ignotus

Let's not forget the clever clogs Chas Napier who sent the word
"peccavi" from Sind.

Re: the latin

<tnmnh1$3um3a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13214&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13214

From: toodle.p...@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2022 09:46:09 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:FlnqFHtw3D13g7H6suT7AvkhN4w=
 by: Mike McMillan - Sun, 18 Dec 2022 09:46 UTC

John Armstrong <jja@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Dec 2022 17:16:38 +0000, Penny <spam@labyrinth.freeuk.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Friday, 16 December 2022 at 22:37:08 UTC, Linda Fox a gribouillé dans
>> la poussière...
>>
>>> Google translate on my phone said bugger was pedica, which when I reverse
>>> translated was... legs????
>>>
>>> Oh bugger came out as O bugger.
>>
>> Flipping languages in Google translate can often be fun, particularly with
>> Latin.
>>
>> I tried some other modern swear words and got:
>> F*** > irrumabo > I will wander > errabo > I will be wrong > ego iniuriam >
>> I was wrong > eravi
>> bugger > pedica > legs > crura > legs
>> c*** > c*** > count > numerare
>> Some are so close to the Latin you'd expect the result to just stall, but
>> bastard > bastardis > bastards > nothi > unknown > ignotus
>
> Let's not forget the clever clogs Chas Napier who sent the word
> "peccavi" from Sind.

Is this anything like Good News from Ghent to Akes (sp???)

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: the latin

<tnmoou$3uou1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13215&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13215

From: johnashb...@yahoo.com (John Ashby)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2022 10:07:26 +0000
 by: John Ashby - Sun, 18 Dec 2022 10:07 UTC

On 18/12/2022 08:55, John Armstrong wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Dec 2022 17:16:38 +0000, Penny <spam@labyrinth.freeuk.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Friday, 16 December 2022 at 22:37:08 UTC, Linda Fox a gribouillé dans
>> la poussière...
>>
>>> Google translate on my phone said bugger was pedica, which when I reverse
>>> translated was... legs????
>>>
>>> Oh bugger came out as O bugger.
>>
>> Flipping languages in Google translate can often be fun, particularly with
>> Latin.
>>
>> I tried some other modern swear words and got:
>> F*** > irrumabo > I will wander > errabo > I will be wrong > ego iniuriam >
>> I was wrong > eravi
>> bugger > pedica > legs > crura > legs
>> c*** > c*** > count > numerare
>> Some are so close to the Latin you'd expect the result to just stall, but
>> bastard > bastardis > bastards > nothi > unknown > ignotus
>
> Let's not forget the clever clogs Chas Napier who sent the word
> "peccavi" from Sind.

To be precise when he had captured Sind - peccavi = I have sinned.

john

Re: the latin

<tnmrq4$3v0e2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13217&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13217

From: toodle.p...@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2022 10:59:16 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:MEQGOGKPyBOuMpgEPNI8LCFbUA8=
 by: Mike McMillan - Sun, 18 Dec 2022 10:59 UTC

John Ashby <johnashby20@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On 18/12/2022 08:55, John Armstrong wrote:
>> On Sat, 17 Dec 2022 17:16:38 +0000, Penny <spam@labyrinth.freeuk.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> On Friday, 16 December 2022 at 22:37:08 UTC, Linda Fox a gribouillé dans
>>> la poussière...

>>> Flipping languages in Google translate can often be fun, particularly with
>>> Latin.
>>>
>>> I tried some other modern swear words and got:
>>> F*** > irrumabo > I will wander > errabo > I will be wrong > ego iniuriam >
>>> I was wrong > eravi
>>> bugger > pedica > legs > crura > legs
>>> c*** > c*** > count > numerare
>>> Some are so close to the Latin you'd expect the result to just stall, but
>>> bastard > bastardis > bastards > nothi > unknown > ignotus
>>
>> Let's not forget the clever clogs Chas Napier who sent the word
>> "peccavi" from Sind.
>
> To be precise when he had captured Sind - peccavi = I have sinned.
>
> john

And I have sind over many fine mangoes in the past.

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: the latin

<qKJnL.2136047$qD%2.1605777@fx08.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13219&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13219

Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2022 19:20:53 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Sun, 18 Dec 2022 19:20 UTC

On 18-Dec-22 10:07, John Ashby wrote:
> On 18/12/2022 08:55, John Armstrong wrote:
>> On Sat, 17 Dec 2022 17:16:38 +0000, Penny <spam@labyrinth.freeuk.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> On Friday, 16 December 2022 at 22:37:08 UTC, Linda Fox  a gribouillé
>>> dans
>>> la poussière...

>>> Flipping languages in Google translate can often be fun, particularly
>>> with
>>> Latin.
>>>
>>> I tried some other modern swear words and got:
>>> F*** > irrumabo > I will wander > errabo > I will be wrong > ego
>>> iniuriam >
>>> I was wrong > eravi
>>> bugger > pedica > legs > crura > legs
>>> c*** > c*** > count > numerare
>>> Some are so close to the Latin you'd expect the result to just stall,
>>> but
>>> bastard > bastardis > bastards > nothi > unknown > ignotus
>>
>> Let's not forget the clever clogs Chas Napier who sent the word
>> "peccavi" from Sind.
>
> To be precise when he had captured Sind - peccavi = I have sinned.

Wasn't "peccavi" suggested by an English schoolgirl[1], some time after
the event?

[1] One Catherine Winkworth, I am lead to believe.

Shamelessly stolen from elsewhere:

"In 1843 Sir Charles Napier conquered the Indian province of Sind (now
southeast Pakistan), and was criticized in parliament in 1844 for his
ruthless campaign. A girl in her teens, Catherine Winkworth (1827–78),
remarked to her teacher that Napier's despatch to the governor general
of India, after capturing Sind, should have been Peccavi (Latin for 'I
have sinned'). She sent her joke to the new humorous magazine *Punch,
which printed it as a factual report under Foreign Affairs. As a result
the pun has usually been credited to Napier."

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: the latin

<k09ibeFmr9eU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13220&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13220

From: elv...@nospam.demon.co.uk (Kate B)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2022 22:25:52 +0000
 by: Kate B - Sun, 18 Dec 2022 22:25 UTC

On 18/12/2022 19:20, Sam Plusnet wrote:
> On 18-Dec-22 10:07, John Ashby wrote:
>> On 18/12/2022 08:55, John Armstrong wrote:

>>> Let's not forget the clever clogs Chas Napier who sent the word
>>> "peccavi" from Sind.
>>
>> To be precise when he had captured Sind - peccavi = I have sinned.
>
> Wasn't "peccavi" suggested by an English schoolgirl[1], some time after
> the event?
>
> [1] One Catherine Winkworth, I am lead to believe.
>
> Shamelessly stolen from elsewhere:
>
> "In 1843 Sir Charles Napier conquered the Indian province of Sind (now
> southeast Pakistan), and was criticized in parliament in 1844 for his
> ruthless campaign. A girl in her teens, Catherine Winkworth (1827–78),
> remarked to her teacher that Napier's despatch to the governor general
> of India, after capturing Sind, should have been Peccavi (Latin for 'I
> have sinned'). She sent her joke to the new humorous magazine *Punch,
> which printed it as a factual report under Foreign Affairs. As a result
> the pun has usually been credited to Napier."

Catherine Winkworth was certainly once an English schoolgirl, but grew
up into a very splendid translator and hymn-writer. Most of the
well-known translations of Christmas chorales (How brightly shines the
morning star, etc) are hers, and she also wrote one of my favourites
'Praise to the Lord the Almighty the King of Creation'.

Sadly none of them seem to feature puns.

--
Kate B

Re: the latin

<WFNnL.2136048$qD%2.1892888@fx08.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13221&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13221

Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2022 23:49:09 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Sun, 18 Dec 2022 23:49 UTC

On 18-Dec-22 22:25, Kate B wrote:
> On 18/12/2022 19:20, Sam Plusnet wrote:

>>> To be precise when he had captured Sind - peccavi = I have sinned.
>>
>> Wasn't "peccavi" suggested by an English schoolgirl[1], some time
>> after the event?
>>
>> [1] One Catherine Winkworth, I am lead to believe.
>>
>> Shamelessly stolen from elsewhere:
>>
>> "In 1843 Sir Charles Napier conquered the Indian province of Sind (now
>> southeast Pakistan), and was criticized in parliament in 1844 for his
>> ruthless campaign. A girl in her teens, Catherine Winkworth (1827–78),
>> remarked to her teacher that Napier's despatch to the governor general
>> of India, after capturing Sind, should have been Peccavi (Latin for 'I
>> have sinned'). She sent her joke to the new humorous magazine *Punch,
>> which printed it as a factual report under Foreign Affairs. As a
>> result the pun has usually been credited to Napier."
>
> Catherine Winkworth was certainly once an English schoolgirl, but grew
> up into a very splendid translator and hymn-writer. Most of the
> well-known translations of Christmas chorales (How brightly shines the
> morning star, etc) are hers, and she also wrote one of my favourites
> 'Praise to the Lord the Almighty the King of Creation'.

Well, thank you for that particular earworm.
When a tune gets stuck in my brain I tend to whistle (very very badly)
some variant of that tune whilst doing 'stuff' in the kitchen.
I try to stifle the impulse, in the interests of domestic harmony, but
it never works.

> Sadly none of them seem to feature puns.

There might be a trove of punning hymns somewhere, that the publisher
thought unsuitable.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: the latin

<ei50qhd6dmaell20ushfamnks8vfdrancb@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13222&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13222

From: jja...@blueyonder.co.uk (John Armstrong)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2022 07:46:31 +0000
 by: John Armstrong - Mon, 19 Dec 2022 07:46 UTC

On Sun, 18 Dec 2022 19:20:53 +0000, Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:

>On 18-Dec-22 10:07, John Ashby wrote:
>> On 18/12/2022 08:55, John Armstrong wrote:

>>> Let's not forget the clever clogs Chas Napier who sent the word
>>> "peccavi" from Sind.
>>
>> To be precise when he had captured Sind - peccavi = I have sinned.
>
>Wasn't "peccavi" suggested by an English schoolgirl[1], some time after
>the event?
>
>[1] One Catherine Winkworth, I am lead to believe.
>
>Shamelessly stolen from elsewhere:
>
>"In 1843 Sir Charles Napier conquered the Indian province of Sind (now
>southeast Pakistan), and was criticized in parliament in 1844 for his
>ruthless campaign. A girl in her teens, Catherine Winkworth (1827–78),
>remarked to her teacher that Napier's despatch to the governor general
>of India, after capturing Sind, should have been Peccavi (Latin for 'I
>have sinned'). She sent her joke to the new humorous magazine *Punch,
>which printed it as a factual report under Foreign Affairs. As a result
>the pun has usually been credited to Napier."

Interesting, thanks.

Dame Daphne Winkworth, the fearsome headmistress, was a recurring
character in the novels of PGW. I wonder if that is where he got the
name.

aus+uk / uk.media.radio.archers / Re: Ave atque vale