Ya'll hear about the geometer who went to the beach to catch some rays and became a tangent ?

aus+uk / uk.media.radio.archers / Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIP

SubjectAuthor
* Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIPBrritSki
+* Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIPBrritSki
|+* Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIPJim Easterbrook
||+* Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIPBrritSki
|||+* Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIPRobin Somes
|||`- Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIPSteve Hague
||+* Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIPJim Easterbrook
|||+- Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIPJim Easterbrook
|||+* Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIPBrritSki
|||`* Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIPSerena Blanchflower
||| `- Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIPJohn Ashby
||`- Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIPMike McMillan
|`* Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIPJenny M Benson
| `- Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIPHellerat
+- Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIPHellerat
+- Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIPBen Blaney
+- Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIPPaul Herber
+- Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIPClive Arthur
+* Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIPRosie Mitchell
|`- Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIPBrritSki
+- Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIPJoe Kerr
+- Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIPLaura Spira
+* Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIPJohn Ashby
|`* Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIPVicky
| `* Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIPJohn Ashby
|  `* Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIPVicky
|   `* Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIPJoe Kerr
|    `* Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIPJohn Ashby
|     `- Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIPPenny
`- Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIPNick Odell

Pages:12
Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIP

<k5ugm3Fjj3nU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14378&group=uk.media.radio.archers#14378

From: rtilbury...@gmail.com (BrritSki)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIP
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2023 13:27:31 +0000
 by: BrritSki - Sat, 25 Feb 2023 13:27 UTC

Sorry to tell you the sad news that David/Dai passed away this morning
at Athlone House. His brother Alan was with him yesterday and held a
phone to his ear, so that Charlotte could tell him that she loved him,
and he was able to respond. So that was the last meaningful interaction
he had, which is something to be hugely grateful for. It is going to be
very hard for all of us to imagine a world without him, but at least he
is not suffering any more.

Charlotte is picking up messages sent to Dai’s email address. She is
obviously devastated, but appreciates the support of all the friends and
family, and we’re sure she would appreciate messages of condolence.

Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIP

<k5ugugFjj3lU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14379&group=uk.media.radio.archers#14379

From: rtilbury...@gmail.com (BrritSki)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIP
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2023 13:32:00 +0000
 by: BrritSki - Sat, 25 Feb 2023 13:32 UTC

On 25/02/2023 13:27, BrritSki wrote:
> Sorry to tell you the sad news that David/Dai passed away this morning
> at Athlone House.  His brother Alan was with him yesterday and held a
> phone to his ear, so that Charlotte could tell him that she loved him,
> and he was able to respond.  So that was the last meaningful interaction
> he had, which is something to be hugely grateful for.  It is going to be
> very hard for all of us to imagine a world without him, but at least he
> is not suffering any more.
>
> Charlotte is picking up messages sent to Dai’s email address.  She is
> obviously devastated, but appreciates the support of all the friends and
> family, and we’re sure she would appreciate messages of condolence.

I have not been passing on the daily messages reporting Sid's decline as
it was too sad, so not really a surprise, but still very upsetting.

A man I never met, but as Ben said recently, he had a big impact on my
life and I'm a better person for meeting him in cyberspace. Funny, witty
(not necessarily the same thing), warm, wise and kind.

If anyone deserves to go to a better place it is Sid. Go well MOPMOB.

Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIP

<k5uhikFhirrU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14380&group=uk.media.radio.archers#14380

From: new...@jim-easterbrook.me.uk (Jim Easterbrook)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: 25 Feb 2023 13:42:44 GMT
 by: Jim Easterbrook - Sat, 25 Feb 2023 13:42 UTC

On Sat, 25 Feb 2023 13:32:00 +0000, BrritSki wrote:

> On 25/02/2023 13:27, BrritSki wrote:
>> Sorry to tell you the sad news that David/Dai passed away this morning
>> at Athlone House.  His brother Alan was with him yesterday and held a
>> phone to his ear, so that Charlotte could tell him that she loved him,
>> and he was able to respond.  So that was the last meaningful
>> interaction he had, which is something to be hugely grateful for.  It
>> is going to be very hard for all of us to imagine a world without him,
>> but at least he is not suffering any more.
>>
>> Charlotte is picking up messages sent to Dai’s email address.  She is
>> obviously devastated, but appreciates the support of all the friends
>> and family, and we’re sure she would appreciate messages of condolence.
>
> I have not been passing on the daily messages reporting Sid's decline as
> it was too sad, so not really a surprise, but still very upsetting.
>
> A man I never met, but as Ben said recently, he had a big impact on my
> life and I'm a better person for meeting him in cyberspace. Funny, witty
> (not necessarily the same thing), warm, wise and kind.
>
> If anyone deserves to go to a better place it is Sid. Go well MOPMOB.

<AOL> as we say on UMRA. I couldn't put it better.

--
Jim <http://www.jim-easterbrook.me.uk/>

Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIP

<k5uj5fFju4iU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14381&group=uk.media.radio.archers#14381

From: Helle...@mail.com (Hellerat)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2023 16:09:51 +0200
 by: Hellerat - Sat, 25 Feb 2023 14:09 UTC

On 25/02/2023 15:27, BrritSki wrote:
> Sorry to tell you the sad news that David/Dai passed away this morning at Athlone House.
> His brother Alan was with him yesterday and held a phone to his ear, so that Charlotte
> could tell him that she loved him, and he was able to respond.  So that was the last
> meaningful interaction he had, which is something to be hugely grateful for.  It is going
> to be very hard for all of us to imagine a world without him, but at least he is not
> suffering any more.
>
> Charlotte is picking up messages sent to Dai’s email address.  She is obviously
> devastated, but appreciates the support of all the friends and family, and we’re sure she
> would appreciate messages of condolence.

Thank you, Roger, for being the Internuncio.

--
Yassas,
Anne, Exceptionally Traditionally-built Hellerat

Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIP

<k5ul9uFk8cmU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14382&group=uk.media.radio.archers#14382

From: rtilbury...@gmail.com (BrritSki)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2023 14:46:22 +0000
 by: BrritSki - Sat, 25 Feb 2023 14:46 UTC

On 25/02/2023 13:42, Jim Easterbrook wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Feb 2023 13:32:00 +0000, BrritSki wrote:
>
>> On 25/02/2023 13:27, BrritSki wrote:
>>> Sorry to tell you the sad news that David/Dai passed away this morning
>>> at Athlone House.  His brother Alan was with him yesterday and held a
>>> phone to his ear, so that Charlotte could tell him that she loved him,
>>> and he was able to respond.  So that was the last meaningful
>>> interaction he had, which is something to be hugely grateful for.  It
>>> is going to be very hard for all of us to imagine a world without him,
>>> but at least he is not suffering any more.
>>>
>>> Charlotte is picking up messages sent to Dai’s email address.  She is
>>> obviously devastated, but appreciates the support of all the friends
>>> and family, and we’re sure she would appreciate messages of condolence.
>>
>> I have not been passing on the daily messages reporting Sid's decline as
>> it was too sad, so not really a surprise, but still very upsetting.
>>
>> A man I never met, but as Ben said recently, he had a big impact on my
>> life and I'm a better person for meeting him in cyberspace. Funny, witty
>> (not necessarily the same thing), warm, wise and kind.
>>
>> If anyone deserves to go to a better place it is Sid. Go well MOPMOB.
>
> <AOL> as we say on UMRA. I couldn't put it better.

Thanks Jim and Gumrat and everyone else who eventually sees this and
replies.

Here is a longer appreciation for the friends and family who have been
keeping me informed:

Thankyou for passing on the sad news.

For those who don't know, David had a wide circle of friends he never
met on usenet. Uk.media.radio.archers (UMRA) was a usenet group that he
joined some 25 years ago, protecting his identity under the name
Siderius Nuncius, so he was known to as all as Sid and MOPMOB (Me Old
Pal, Me Old Beauty in the immortal words of Walter Gabriel). He kept his
private life very private, but we all enjoyed the observations of the
Sisters passing by the window under the heading Transit of the Nun (and
some of us eventually fully appreciated the joke).

Wit and good humour were among the things we most appreciated, often in
the form of incomparable limericks, and appreciation (and generator) of
Appalling Bad Taste and also Mere Vulgarity, for which umra has a
Monitor and an Annual Award Ceremony where he was often honoured.

We also enjoyed the (sadly prescient) nursing home and Matron
imaginations over several years of which the following gives a sense:
Ah. Actually, no. Everybody seemed to get rather, well, *edgy* somehow
after that business with Mrs Edgington's cat Horace, the castor oil and
the laundry basket. Matron can really be very narrow-minded about these
matters sometimes - I mean, Horace is getting about quite well again now
and they've paid for most things out of my Crisp Allowance. Admittedly,
Mrs E. still looks a bit odd whenever she sees me, but I do think people
have made an unnecessary fuss.

Anyway, it's been the heavy-duty Deep Blue tablets since then.

Crisps off course were supposedly a no-go area after the meeting with
Charlotte Green which would require the purple pills to be administered.

Another much loved contribution were ISIHAC style lists of
film/book/music titles on a theme of which this gives a (rather goaty)
flavour:
Goats on a Scandal
Mr Smith Goats to Washington
Showgoat
Goatel New Hampshire
Heaven's Goat
Goatal Recall
The Four Fetas
....and that estimable radio programme, Goat Ungoat.

All informed in course by his deep knowledge of music and literature -
erudition which he wore very lightly - for example it was a long time
before I realised he was at Cambridge which is not something that
Oxbridge graduates normally keep you in the dark about ;)

Of course as in any large family, umra had the occasional falling out,
but Sid was always a calming voice, pouring oil on troubled waters. I
frequently benefitted from his patient advice (in private) when I erred
and he was always right when I'd calmed down enough to realise it.

We did not agree on politics, but each respected the other's positions.
On cricket we did agree and I'm so glad he was able to appreciate the
start of Stokes' captaincy. I'll be thinking of him a lot during the
Ashes (oops, BT Nomination).

It seems crazy to be so upset about a man I never met, so I can only
imagine how his real-life friends and family must feel.

The finest of men. Go well MOPMOB.

Love Rog

Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIP

<k5ulhlFhirrU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14383&group=uk.media.radio.archers#14383

From: new...@jim-easterbrook.me.uk (Jim Easterbrook)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: 25 Feb 2023 14:50:29 GMT
 by: Jim Easterbrook - Sat, 25 Feb 2023 14:50 UTC

On 25 Feb 2023 13:42:44 GMT, Jim Easterbrook wrote:

> On Sat, 25 Feb 2023 13:32:00 +0000, BrritSki wrote:
>
>> On 25/02/2023 13:27, BrritSki wrote:
>>> Sorry to tell you the sad news that David/Dai passed away this morning
>>> at Athlone House.  His brother Alan was with him yesterday and held a
>>> phone to his ear, so that Charlotte could tell him that she loved him,
>>> and he was able to respond.  So that was the last meaningful
>>> interaction he had, which is something to be hugely grateful for.  It
>>> is going to be very hard for all of us to imagine a world without him,
>>> but at least he is not suffering any more.
>>>
>>> Charlotte is picking up messages sent to Dai’s email address.  She is
>>> obviously devastated, but appreciates the support of all the friends
>>> and family, and we’re sure she would appreciate messages of
>>> condolence.
>>
>> I have not been passing on the daily messages reporting Sid's decline
>> as it was too sad, so not really a surprise, but still very upsetting.
>>
>> A man I never met, but as Ben said recently, he had a big impact on my
>> life and I'm a better person for meeting him in cyberspace. Funny,
>> witty (not necessarily the same thing), warm, wise and kind.
>>
>> If anyone deserves to go to a better place it is Sid. Go well MOPMOB.
>
> <AOL> as we say on UMRA. I couldn't put it better.

And I forgot to than Britters for being the bearer of news. Not only do I
not have the words, it appears I also don't have the manners.

--
Jim <http://www.jim-easterbrook.me.uk/>

Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIP

<k5ulj3FhirrU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14384&group=uk.media.radio.archers#14384

From: new...@jim-easterbrook.me.uk (Jim Easterbrook)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: 25 Feb 2023 14:51:15 GMT
 by: Jim Easterbrook - Sat, 25 Feb 2023 14:51 UTC

On 25 Feb 2023 14:50:29 GMT, Jim Easterbrook wrote:

> And I forgot to than Britters for being the bearer of news.

Or even thank him. Grrr.

--
Jim <http://www.jim-easterbrook.me.uk/>

Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIP

<k5umrpFk8cmU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14385&group=uk.media.radio.archers#14385

From: rtilbury...@gmail.com (BrritSki)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2023 15:12:57 +0000
 by: BrritSki - Sat, 25 Feb 2023 15:12 UTC

On 25/02/2023 14:50, Jim Easterbrook wrote:

> And I forgot to than Britters for being the bearer of news. Not only do I
> not have the words, it appears I also don't have the manners.

No worries Jim, the than(k)s were there....

Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIP

<5e9ca5ca-0ed3-4ae8-9a72-7d55531bdbfen@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14386&group=uk.media.radio.archers#14386

Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2023 07:15:12 -0800 (PST)
From: robin.so...@googlemail.com (Robin Somes)
 by: Robin Somes - Sat, 25 Feb 2023 15:15 UTC

On Saturday, 25 February 2023 at 14:46:24 UTC, BrritSki wrote:
> The finest of men. Go well MOPMOB.
> Love Rog

Thanks, firstly, to you Rog for keeping us lapsed-rats informed, and for being an internuncio. And a wave to umrats. It's been a while, hasn't it?

I got back in contact with Sid about a year ago, after an absence of many years. We had a nice chat by email; it was plain then that things weren't great, but we pledged to keep in touch when we could. Sadly the next I heard from him was just before Christmas, with the awful news.

I had been scouring our local shops for a card of suitable Appallingly Bad Taste to send, but alas, never found one. They're funny that way, round 'ere.

It's hard to encapsulate just how I feel about this morning's announcement, even though it was expected. I'm heartened that he was able to speak to Charlotte, and that his suffering is over, at least. And it's hard to put into words just how great his influence was. Here's what I wrote to him, just before Christmas, which is about the best I can manage:

"The news from UMRA has trickled through to me by roundabout means, and I am profoundly saddened to hear it. There’s not much I can say that would be of any help, but damnit, in my clumsy way, I’m going to try..
Some 23 years on from when I, as a callow youth, first stumbled into UMRA, I still have a folder on my hard drive called “BUMRA”, which I periodically revisit. I find that well over ¾ of its contents came from the elegant keyboard of Nuncius, S., and now I’m revisiting them all and gut-laughing uncontrollably; damnit, you’ve done it all over again. It’s a funny old place, but those were some magical times.
When someone - more than once, me - wrote something irredeemably stupid, your insistence that they deserved consideration and a thoughtful response, rather than outright condemnation, was exemplary.
Your welcome (and those of dear old Chankel, Pete Hesketh and many others) dragged me in, and your posts were one of the main reasons I stayed there, but there’s more than that. Your quiet and gentle words of support when my Dad passed away in 1999 were a huge comfort.
Away from UMRA, I always cherished your musical recommendations (I still have your cassettes of ‘Bach On The Lute’. I probably still told the old joke about Bach having 20 children, because his organ didn’t have any stops, and you probably still laughed in spite of its being a crap joke).
And as for the wine? I would surely never have encountered Durif quite so intensely.
I don’t have any immediately to hand, but a suave little Tempranillo will do <waves glass, languidly>.
The thing is, Sid, you made a difference, to my life, and to many others' lives, and that will never be forgotten".

Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIP

<k5unrpFk8cmU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14387&group=uk.media.radio.archers#14387

From: rtilbury...@gmail.com (BrritSki)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2023 15:30:01 +0000
 by: BrritSki - Sat, 25 Feb 2023 15:30 UTC

On 25/02/2023 15:15, Robin Somes wrote:
> On Saturday, 25 February 2023 at 14:46:24 UTC, BrritSki wrote:
>> The finest of men. Go well MOPMOB.
>> Love Rog
>
> Thanks, firstly, to you Rog for keeping us lapsed-rats informed, and for being an internuncio. And a wave to umrats. It's been a while, hasn't it?
>
> I got back in contact with Sid about a year ago, after an absence of many years. We had a nice chat by email; it was plain then that things weren't great, but we pledged to keep in touch when we could. Sadly the next I heard from him was just before Christmas, with the awful news.
>
> I had been scouring our local shops for a card of suitable Appallingly Bad Taste to send, but alas, never found one. They're funny that way, round 'ere.
>
> It's hard to encapsulate just how I feel about this morning's announcement, even though it was expected. I'm heartened that he was able to speak to Charlotte, and that his suffering is over, at least. And it's hard to put into words just how great his influence was. Here's what I wrote to him, just before Christmas, which is about the best I can manage:
>
> "The news from UMRA has trickled through to me by roundabout means, and I am profoundly saddened to hear it. There’s not much I can say that would be of any help, but damnit, in my clumsy way, I’m going to try.
> Some 23 years on from when I, as a callow youth, first stumbled into UMRA, I still have a folder on my hard drive called “BUMRA”, which I periodically revisit. I find that well over ¾ of its contents came from the elegant keyboard of Nuncius, S., and now I’m revisiting them all and gut-laughing uncontrollably; damnit, you’ve done it all over again. It’s a funny old place, but those were some magical times.
> When someone - more than once, me - wrote something irredeemably stupid, your insistence that they deserved consideration and a thoughtful response, rather than outright condemnation, was exemplary.
> Your welcome (and those of dear old Chankel, Pete Hesketh and many others) dragged me in, and your posts were one of the main reasons I stayed there, but there’s more than that. Your quiet and gentle words of support when my Dad passed away in 1999 were a huge comfort.
> Away from UMRA, I always cherished your musical recommendations (I still have your cassettes of ‘Bach On The Lute’. I probably still told the old joke about Bach having 20 children, because his organ didn’t have any stops, and you probably still laughed in spite of its being a crap joke).
> And as for the wine? I would surely never have encountered Durif quite so intensely.
> I don’t have any immediately to hand, but a suave little Tempranillo will do <waves glass, languidly>.
> The thing is, Sid, you made a difference, to my life, and to many others' lives, and that will never be forgotten".

<LW>

Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIP

<k5up7dFi7dlU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14388&group=uk.media.radio.archers#14388

From: NemoN...@hotmail.co.uk (Jenny M Benson)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2023 15:53:16 +0000
 by: Jenny M Benson - Sat, 25 Feb 2023 15:53 UTC

On 25/02/2023 13:32, BrritSki wrote:

> I have not been passing on the daily messages reporting Sid's decline as
> it was too sad, so not really a surprise, but still very upsetting.
>
> A man I never met, but as Ben said recently, he had a big impact on my
> life and I'm a better person for meeting him in cyberspace. Funny, witty
> (not necessarily the same thing), warm, wise and kind.
>
> If anyone deserves to go to a better place it is Sid. Go well MOPMOB.

As often happens here, someone has said what I would have wished to say
and said it better than I could have hoped to. While shedding more than
a few tears, I have to add that I am glad dear Sid is suffering no more.

--
Jenny M Benson
Wrexham, UK

Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIP

<k5upi0Fktu7U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14389&group=uk.media.radio.archers#14389

From: Helle...@mail.com (Hellerat)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2023 17:58:55 +0200
 by: Hellerat - Sat, 25 Feb 2023 15:58 UTC

Rapidly ramping up to a Mexican wave.

--
Yassas,
Anne, Exceptionally Traditionally-built Hellerat

Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIP

<k5upigFktu7U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14390&group=uk.media.radio.archers#14390

From: Helle...@mail.com (Hellerat)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2023 17:59:12 +0200
 by: Hellerat - Sat, 25 Feb 2023 15:59 UTC

On 25/02/2023 17:53, Jenny M Benson wrote:
> On 25/02/2023 13:32, BrritSki wrote:
>>
>> I have not been passing on the daily messages reporting Sid's decline as it was too sad,
>> so not really a surprise, but still very upsetting.
>>
>> A man I never met, but as Ben said recently, he had a big impact on my life and I'm a
>> better person for meeting him in cyberspace. Funny, witty (not necessarily the same
>> thing), warm, wise and kind.
>>
>> If anyone deserves to go to a better place it is Sid. Go well MOPMOB.
>

> As often happens here, someone has said what I would have wished to say and said it better
> than I could have hoped to.  While shedding more than a few tears, I have to add that I am
> glad dear Sid is suffering no more.

Absolutely, Jenny.

--
Yassas,
Anne, Exceptionally Traditionally-built Hellerat

Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIP

<k5urrvFl5guU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14391&group=uk.media.radio.archers#14391

From: rtilbury...@gmail.com (BrritSki)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2023 16:38:23 +0000
 by: BrritSki - Sat, 25 Feb 2023 16:38 UTC

Another tribute revealing another part of Sid's life as a monitor and
later Director at Colony Holidays.

David (Dai) Lees sadly died earlier today of stomach cancer. Despite his
nickname, Dai was not from Wales but from Nottingham. His two younger
sisters went on colonies but being by then too old, Dai did the next
best thing and trained as a monitor, going on to be an AD, Director and
Trainer. Dai was tall, dark and handsome. He also played the guitar and
sang very well. All of these things made him very popular and the centre
of well deserved attention. Dai had a warm personality and was full of
kindness, with a sharp sense of humour to complement the warmth. I first
worked with Dai in Summer 1974 when I was an AD and he was a monitor on
a large colony at Marsh Court in Hampshire, a large country house made
of chalk which is regarded as one of Lutyens’ masterpieces. We later
both worked as Directors in Northern Ireland, once meeting in a pub at
lunchtime halfway between our two colony centres where we both downed a
quantity of Guinness probably not fully compatible with health, safety
or the law. Dai was also a contemporary of mine at Queens’ College
Cambridge where he studied Natural Sciences. Dai went on to work as a
Physics teacher in a number of challenging comprehensive schools from
where he nevertheless managed to guide a number of his Physics students
to universities including his old college. Dai went on to become a
Deputy Head in Hammersmith London, near where he lived for the last 40
years but sadly in his 40s his health gave way and he was obliged to
take medical retirement. Dai was married to Charlotte and had in recent
times acted as her carer. He was a lifelong fan of The Archers and of
cricket. Not normally one for social media, Dai had joined Facebook one
or two years ago solely so that he could join this group. I know he got
great comfort and enjoyment from, as he put it, remembering happier
times through these pages. Dai contacted Roger Barton and myself shortly
after Christmas to let us know about his condition and that he had a
terminal diagnosis. He asked us to let you all know what happened when
the time came. He had called me as recently as Tuesday about the visit I
made yesterday but his condition deteriorated rapidly in the following
few days. By no means everyone here will know Dai but I’m sure that
those who do will remember him as a very talented and lovely person.

Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIP

<k5uuj8Fld80U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14392&group=uk.media.radio.archers#14392

From: ruddock...@btinternet.com (Mike Ruddock)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2023 17:24:58 +0000
 by: Mike Ruddock - Sat, 25 Feb 2023 17:24 UTC

Dear Fellow Umrats,

Like Britters, I was one of those whom Sid contacted privately to tell
us about his deteriorating condition. I was immensely flattered to be so
selected since, like most (?all?) of umra, I had never met Sid but also
like (no question here) all of umra I was immensely impressed by him.
I shan't attempt any sort of encomium, Britters has done that already
more than adequately, but I tried to write appropriate things in reply.

(What do you say to a man who has told you he is dying?) I was never
clear about his faith; having a Jewish mother he was technically also
Jewish but I don't think he practiced nor even half believed that faith,
but he was, I think, like me a half believer in Life after Death.

We had certain things in common: both of us read physics at university;
both of us became teachers, both of us ended as heads or deputy heads of
large schools. That he was struck down by illness and so never made it
to Head is a major injustice: he would have been one of the outstanding
headteachers of his time.

With that in mind I wrote to tell him that at least after death we would
know things so far hidden: we would know the truth or otherwise of the
Riemann Hypothesis and the Goldbach conjecture, the nature of Dark
Matter and Dark Energy, and which would be the next group to have a
wretched second album.

Go well, David, we shall meet at last one day.

Mike Ruddock

Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIP

<k5uv7hFlpscU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14393&group=uk.media.radio.archers#14393

From: rtilbury...@gmail.com (BrritSki)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2023 17:35:45 +0000
 by: BrritSki - Sat, 25 Feb 2023 17:35 UTC

On 25/02/2023 17:24, Mike Ruddock wrote:
> Dear Fellow Umrats,
>
> Like Britters, I was one of those whom Sid contacted privately to tell
> us about his deteriorating condition. I was immensely flattered to be so
> selected since, like most (?all?) of umra, I had never met Sid but also
> like (no question here) all of umra I was immensely impressed by him.
> I shan't attempt any sort of encomium, Britters has done that already
> more than adequately, but I tried to write appropriate things in reply.
>
> (What do you say to a man who has told you he is dying?) I was never
> clear about his faith; having a Jewish mother he was technically also
> Jewish but I don't think he practiced nor even half believed that faith,
> but he was, I think, like me a half believer in Life after Death.
>
> We had certain things in common: both of us read physics at university;
> both of us became teachers, both of us ended as heads or deputy heads of
> large schools. That he was struck down by illness and so never made it
> to Head is a major injustice: he would have been one of the outstanding
> headteachers of his time.
>
> With that in mind I wrote to tell him that at least after death we would
> know things so far hidden: we would know the truth or otherwise of the
> Riemann Hypothesis and the Goldbach conjecture, the nature of Dark
> Matter and Dark Energy, and which would be the next group to have a
> wretched second album.
>
> Go well, David, we shall meet at last one day.

Just stepping outside - I seem to have something in my eye.

Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIP

<822c8807-85cc-4e43-b1c3-4679a14eaf39n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14394&group=uk.media.radio.archers#14394

Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2023 09:41:32 -0800 (PST)
From: benbla...@gmail.com (Ben Blaney)
 by: Ben Blaney - Sat, 25 Feb 2023 17:41 UTC

On Saturday, February 25, 2023 at 8:27:34 AM UTC-5, BrritSki wrote:
> Sorry to tell you the sad news that David/Dai passed away this morning

Oh, that darling man. So terribly sad. I'll never forget him.

Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIP

<drikvh9mfjo91qqu63vmii8hluo2j9pua7@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14395&group=uk.media.radio.archers#14395

From: vicky.ay...@gmail.com (Vicky)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2023 18:01:08 +0000
 by: Vicky - Sat, 25 Feb 2023 18:01 UTC

On Sat, 25 Feb 2023 17:24:58 +0000, Mike Ruddock
<ruddock117@btinternet.com> wrote:

>Dear Fellow Umrats,
>
>Like Britters, I was one of those whom Sid contacted privately to tell
>us about his deteriorating condition. I was immensely flattered to be so
>selected since, like most (?all?) of umra, I had never met Sid but also
>like (no question here) all of umra I was immensely impressed by him.
>I shan't attempt any sort of encomium, Britters has done that already
>more than adequately, but I tried to write appropriate things in reply.
>
>(What do you say to a man who has told you he is dying?) I was never
>clear about his faith; having a Jewish mother he was technically also
>Jewish but I don't think he practiced nor even half believed that faith,
>but he was, I think, like me a half believer in Life after Death.
>
>We had certain things in common: both of us read physics at university;
>both of us became teachers, both of us ended as heads or deputy heads of
>large schools. That he was struck down by illness and so never made it
>to Head is a major injustice: he would have been one of the outstanding
>headteachers of his time.
>
>With that in mind I wrote to tell him that at least after death we would
>know things so far hidden: we would know the truth or otherwise of the
>Riemann Hypothesis and the Goldbach conjecture, the nature of Dark
>Matter and Dark Energy, and which would be the next group to have a
>wretched second album.
>
>Go well, David, we shall meet at last one day.
>
>Mike Ruddock

I won't try and add to the tributes already made here but am grateful
tothose who made them.

Sid and I had some similar family history as both parents were
refugees from Vienna and possibly moved in the same circles. We
exchanged emails now and then about dealings with the Austrian
government over the years.

I have already been missing his posts on UMRA and feel the circle of
what seem to be old friends here sadly is shrinking. I'm glad he is
pain free now.

All the best to everyone here.

Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIP

<dokkvhtouojlr14tphg7907g67hpihl5et@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14397&group=uk.media.radio.archers#14397

From: pau...@paulherber.co.uk (Paul Herber)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2023 18:31:45 +0000
 by: Paul Herber - Sat, 25 Feb 2023 18:31 UTC

On Sat, 25 Feb 2023 13:27:31 +0000, BrritSki <rtilburyTAKEAWAY@gmail.com> wrote:

>Sorry to tell you the sad news that David/Dai passed away this morning
>at Athlone House. His brother Alan was with him yesterday and held a
>phone to his ear, so that Charlotte could tell him that she loved him,
>and he was able to respond. So that was the last meaningful interaction
>he had, which is something to be hugely grateful for. It is going to be
>very hard for all of us to imagine a world without him, but at least he
>is not suffering any more.
>
>Charlotte is picking up messages sent to Dai’s email address. She is
>obviously devastated, but appreciates the support of all the friends and
>family, and we’re sure she would appreciate messages of condolence.

Per punum piscii ad latinum codum.
Gloria Sid in transit, MOPMOB.

--
Regards, Paul Herber
https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIP

<nGtKL.130013$wfQc.4046@fx43.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14398&group=uk.media.radio.archers#14398

Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2023 19:52:51 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Sat, 25 Feb 2023 19:52 UTC

On 25-Feb-23 17:35, BrritSki wrote:

Lost for words.

I have a glass in hand and raise it to a life, so well lived.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIP

<ttdqof$2laik$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14399&group=uk.media.radio.archers#14399

From: cli...@nowaytoday.co.uk (Clive Arthur)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2023 20:23:41 +0000
 by: Clive Arthur - Sat, 25 Feb 2023 20:23 UTC

On 25/02/2023 13:27, BrritSki wrote:
> Sorry to tell you the sad news that David/Dai passed away this morning
> at Athlone House.

<snip>

I'm not one to be overly sentimental about those I've never even met,
but those onions were bloody strong.

--
Tears
Clive

Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIP

<tte0mt$2lu3c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14401&group=uk.media.radio.archers#14401

From: toodle.p...@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2023 22:05:17 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:C8H4IT933/DIgwoPVOZ600P3MiA=
 by: Mike McMillan - Sat, 25 Feb 2023 22:05 UTC

Jim Easterbrook <news@jim-easterbrook.me.uk> wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Feb 2023 13:32:00 +0000, BrritSki wrote:
>
>> On 25/02/2023 13:27, BrritSki wrote:
>>> Sorry to tell you the sad news that David/Dai passed away this morning
>>> at Athlone House.  His brother Alan was with him yesterday and held a
>>> phone to his ear, so that Charlotte could tell him that she loved him,
>>> and he was able to respond.  So that was the last meaningful
>>> interaction he had, which is something to be hugely grateful for.  It
>>> is going to be very hard for all of us to imagine a world without him,
>>> but at least he is not suffering any more.
>>>
>>> Charlotte is picking up messages sent to Dai’s email address.  She is
>>> obviously devastated, but appreciates the support of all the friends
>>> and family, and we’re sure she would appreciate messages of condolence.
>>
>> I have not been passing on the daily messages reporting Sid's decline as
>> it was too sad, so not really a surprise, but still very upsetting.
>>
>> A man I never met, but as Ben said recently, he had a big impact on my
>> life and I'm a better person for meeting him in cyberspace. Funny, witty
>> (not necessarily the same thing), warm, wise and kind.
>>
>> If anyone deserves to go to a better place it is Sid. Go well MOPMOB.
>
> <AOL> as we say on UMRA. I couldn't put it better.

Me too, samely.

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIP

<tte7nn$2mmq4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14403&group=uk.media.radio.archers#14403

From: enithar...@golgonooza.co.uk (Rosie Mitchell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 00:05:10 +0000
 by: Rosie Mitchell - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 00:05 UTC

On 25/02/2023 13:27, BrritSki wrote:
> Sorry to tell you the sad news that David/Dai passed away this morning
> at Athlone House.  His brother Alan was with him yesterday and held a
> phone to his ear, so that Charlotte could tell him that she loved him,
> and he was able to respond.  So that was the last meaningful interaction
> he had, which is something to be hugely grateful for.  It is going to be
> very hard for all of us to imagine a world without him, but at least he
> is not suffering any more.
>
> Charlotte is picking up messages sent to Dai’s email address.  She is
> obviously devastated, but appreciates the support of all the friends and
> family, and we’re sure she would appreciate messages of condolence.

So hard to find the right words on these occasions.

David/Sid knew I found him problematic once, a long time ago, and he had
a rare gift of knowing exactly how to handle that and although we never
met I felt him to be a genuine friend.

Although I have been an infrequent visitor to umra in recent years, he
was always quick to greet me when I showed my face. In the last few
years we engaged with each other mostly through reviews on Goodreads. He
always took time to engage with mine. I struggled to keep up with his.

For such a long time Sid just was Umra. I wonder if it would have lasted
as long as it did without him. It was certainly a much better place for
his being in it.

RIP David.

Rosie

Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIP

<tte8m9$2n07e$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14404&group=uk.media.radio.archers#14404

From: joe_k...@cheerful.com (Joe Kerr)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 00:21:28 +0000
 by: Joe Kerr - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 00:21 UTC

On 25/02/2023 13:27, BrritSki wrote:
> Sorry to tell you the sad news that David/Dai passed away this morning
> at Athlone House.

A sad day for umra and the world.

--
Ric

Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIP

<2fc19fd5-ff99-418f-af8c-0ccb75462d96n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14406&group=uk.media.radio.archers#14406

Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2023 23:45:24 -0800 (PST)
From: laura.sp...@gmail.com (Laura Spira)
 by: Laura Spira - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 07:45 UTC

On Saturday, 25 February 2023 at 13:27:34 UTC, BrritSki wrote:
> Sorry to tell you the sad news that David/Dai passed away this morning
> at Athlone House. His brother Alan was with him yesterday and held a
> phone to his ear, so that Charlotte could tell him that she loved him,
> and he was able to respond. So that was the last meaningful interaction
> he had, which is something to be hugely grateful for. It is going to be
> very hard for all of us to imagine a world without him, but at least he
> is not suffering any more.
>
> Charlotte is picking up messages sent to Dai’s email address. She is
> obviously devastated, but appreciates the support of all the friends and
> family, and we’re sure she would appreciate messages of condolence.

So very sad to read this, and all the wonderful tributes. Thank you so much for keeping us informed, Roger.

I never met Sid in real life but we corresponded when he discovered my cricket connections which led to some very amusing Sid-style exchanges. Most recently, we connected on Goodreads where his comments on the books he read were always insightful and prompted me to read more widely and more deeply. May his memory be a blessing.

aus+uk / uk.media.radio.archers / Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIP