QOTD: Silence is the only virtue he has left.

aus+uk / uk.media.radio.archers / Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIP

SubjectAuthor
* Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIPBrritSki
+* Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIPBrritSki
|+* Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIPJim Easterbrook
||+* Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIPBrritSki
|||+* Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIPRobin Somes
|||`- Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIPSteve Hague
||+* Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIPJim Easterbrook
|||+- Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIPJim Easterbrook
|||+* Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIPBrritSki
|||`* Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIPSerena Blanchflower
||| `- Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIPJohn Ashby
||`- Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIPMike McMillan
|`* Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIPJenny M Benson
| `- Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIPHellerat
+- Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIPHellerat
+- Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIPBen Blaney
+- Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIPPaul Herber
+- Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIPClive Arthur
+* Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIPRosie Mitchell
|`- Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIPBrritSki
+- Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIPJoe Kerr
+- Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIPLaura Spira
+* Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIPJohn Ashby
|`* Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIPVicky
| `* Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIPJohn Ashby
|  `* Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIPVicky
|   `* Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIPJoe Kerr
|    `* Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIPJohn Ashby
|     `- Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIPPenny
`- Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIPNick Odell

Pages:12
Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIP

<ttfai7$2st21$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14408&group=uk.media.radio.archers#14408

From: johnashb...@yahoo.com (John Ashby)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIP
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 09:59:35 +0000
 by: John Ashby - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 09:59 UTC

On 25/02/2023 13:27, BrritSki wrote:
> Sorry to tell you the sad news that David/Dai passed away this morning
> at Athlone House.  His brother Alan was with him yesterday and held a
> phone to his ear, so that Charlotte could tell him that she loved him,
> and he was able to respond.  So that was the last meaningful interaction
> he had, which is something to be hugely grateful for.  It is going to be
> very hard for all of us to imagine a world without him, but at least he
> is not suffering any more.
>
> Charlotte is picking up messages sent to Dai’s email address.  She is
> obviously devastated, but appreciates the support of all the friends and
> family, and we’re sure she would appreciate messages of condolence.

So sad, and as Laura says, may his memory be a blessing.

As I promised him I shall now have to step up my search for a touring
production of The Sound of Music to raid their wardrobe for the umratic
contingent at his obsequies.

john

Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIP

<oubmvhl0ajpt0nq2ovqurjt8mo5ktms8va@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14410&group=uk.media.radio.archers#14410

From: spa...@labyrinth.freeuk.com (Penny)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 10:10:34 +0000
 by: Penny - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 10:10 UTC

On Sat, 25 Feb 2023 18:01:08 +0000, Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com> a
gribouillé dans la poussière...

>I won't try and add to the tributes already made here but am grateful
>to those who made them.
>I have already been missing his posts on UMRA and feel the circle of
>what seem to be old friends here sadly is shrinking. I'm glad he is
>pain free now.

Likewise.
--
Penny
Annoyed by The Archers since 1959

Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIP

<k60po1Fua23U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14411&group=uk.media.radio.archers#14411

From: rtilbury...@gmail.com (BrritSki)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 10:14:25 +0000
 by: BrritSki - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 10:14 UTC

On 26/02/2023 00:05, Rosie Mitchell wrote:

> For such a long time Sid just was Umra. I wonder if it would have lasted
> as long as it did without him. It was certainly a much better place for
> his being in it.

<LW>

Where L = lachrymose :(

Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIP

<7ucmvhh14q28hrenok37g2rdthvr8ukd2b@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14412&group=uk.media.radio.archers#14412

From: vicky.ay...@gmail.com (Vicky)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 10:26:37 +0000
 by: Vicky - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 10:26 UTC

On Sun, 26 Feb 2023 09:59:35 +0000, John Ashby <johnashby20@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>On 25/02/2023 13:27, BrritSki wrote:
>> Sorry to tell you the sad news that David/Dai passed away this morning
>> at Athlone House.  His brother Alan was with him yesterday and held a
>> phone to his ear, so that Charlotte could tell him that she loved him,
>> and he was able to respond.  So that was the last meaningful interaction
>> he had, which is something to be hugely grateful for.  It is going to be
>> very hard for all of us to imagine a world without him, but at least he
>> is not suffering any more.
>>
>> Charlotte is picking up messages sent to Dai’s email address.  She is
>> obviously devastated, but appreciates the support of all the friends and
>> family, and we’re sure she would appreciate messages of condolence.
>
>So sad, and as Laura says, may his memory be a blessing.
>
>As I promised him I shall now have to step up my search for a touring
>production of The Sound of Music to raid their wardrobe for the umratic
>contingent at his obsequies.
>
>john

All we need is some old curtains.

Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIP

<ttfdcp$2t8t3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14413&group=uk.media.radio.archers#14413

From: johnashb...@yahoo.com (John Ashby)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 10:47:53 +0000
 by: John Ashby - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 10:47 UTC

On 26/02/2023 10:26, Vicky wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Feb 2023 09:59:35 +0000, John Ashby <johnashby20@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 25/02/2023 13:27, BrritSki wrote:
>>> Sorry to tell you the sad news that David/Dai passed away this morning
>>> at Athlone House.  His brother Alan was with him yesterday and held a
>>> phone to his ear, so that Charlotte could tell him that she loved him,
>>> and he was able to respond.  So that was the last meaningful interaction
>>> he had, which is something to be hugely grateful for.  It is going to be
>>> very hard for all of us to imagine a world without him, but at least he
>>> is not suffering any more.
>>>
>>> Charlotte is picking up messages sent to Dai’s email address.  She is
>>> obviously devastated, but appreciates the support of all the friends and
>>> family, and we’re sure she would appreciate messages of condolence.
>>
>> So sad, and as Laura says, may his memory be a blessing.
>>
>> As I promised him I shall now have to step up my search for a touring
>> production of The Sound of Music to raid their wardrobe for the umratic
>> contingent at his obsequies.
>>
>> john
>
> All we need is some old curtains.

And a small aubergine?

john

Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIP

<b1fmvhdqvjl3uidabuhs9c2oh16ojb1vnn@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14414&group=uk.media.radio.archers#14414

From: vicky.ay...@gmail.com (Vicky)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 11:07:28 +0000
 by: Vicky - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 11:07 UTC

On Sun, 26 Feb 2023 10:47:53 +0000, John Ashby <johnashby20@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>On 26/02/2023 10:26, Vicky wrote:
>> On Sun, 26 Feb 2023 09:59:35 +0000, John Ashby <johnashby20@yahoo.com>
>> wrote:

>>> So sad, and as Laura says, may his memory be a blessing.
>>>
>>> As I promised him I shall now have to step up my search for a touring
>>> production of The Sound of Music to raid their wardrobe for the umratic
>>> contingent at his obsequies.
>>>
>>> john
>>
>> All we need is some old curtains.
>
>And a small aubergine?
>
>john

By Obsequies do you mean a wake, John? We could dress as nuns if
not Von Trapps. And the catering should be lots of crisps and the
full contents of the chocolate bunker, with lemon drizzle cakes, flap
jacks, pizza, Bridge Farm ice cream and a selection of their cheese,
Scruff gin, Shires beer and cups of tea. Have I missed anything out?
Oh yes, Grundy cider :).

Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIP

<ttfgg5$2ti0o$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14415&group=uk.media.radio.archers#14415

From: joe_k...@cheerful.com (Joe Kerr)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 11:40:53 +0000
 by: Joe Kerr - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 11:40 UTC

On 26/02/2023 11:07, Vicky wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Feb 2023 10:47:53 +0000, John Ashby <johnashby20@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 26/02/2023 10:26, Vicky wrote:

>>> All we need is some old curtains.
>>
>> And a small aubergine?
>>
>> john
>
> By Obsequies do you mean a wake, John? We could dress as nuns if
> not Von Trapps. And the catering should be lots of crisps and the
> full contents of the chocolate bunker, with lemon drizzle cakes, flap
> jacks, pizza, Bridge Farm ice cream and a selection of their cheese,
> Scruff gin, Shires beer and cups of tea. Have I missed anything out?
> Oh yes, Grundy cider :).

Tom Archer sausages, if Kosher is not an issue. You might get a goose
from Eddie.

--
Ric

Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIP

<ttfgut$2sob7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14416&group=uk.media.radio.archers#14416

From: nos...@blanchflower.me.uk (Serena Blanchflower)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 11:48:45 +0000
 by: Serena Blanchflower - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 11:48 UTC

On 25/02/2023 14:50, Jim Easterbrook wrote:
> On 25 Feb 2023 13:42:44 GMT, Jim Easterbrook wrote:

>>> I have not been passing on the daily messages reporting Sid's decline
>>> as it was too sad, so not really a surprise, but still very upsetting.
>>>
>>> A man I never met, but as Ben said recently, he had a big impact on my
>>> life and I'm a better person for meeting him in cyberspace. Funny,
>>> witty (not necessarily the same thing), warm, wise and kind.
>>>
>>> If anyone deserves to go to a better place it is Sid. Go well MOPMOB.
>>
>> <AOL> as we say on UMRA. I couldn't put it better.
>
> And I forgot to than Britters for being the bearer of news. Not only do I
> not have the words, it appears I also don't have the manners.

<languid wave>
Sid really was the BUMRA

--
Best wishes, Serena
The 'good life' begins when you stop wanting a better one (Nkosiphambili

Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIP

<ttfikc$2tot9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14417&group=uk.media.radio.archers#14417

From: johnashb...@yahoo.com (John Ashby)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 12:17:16 +0000
 by: John Ashby - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 12:17 UTC

On 26/02/2023 11:40, Joe Kerr wrote:
> On 26/02/2023 11:07, Vicky wrote:
>> On Sun, 26 Feb 2023 10:47:53 +0000, John Ashby <johnashby20@yahoo.com>
>> wrote:

>>> And a small aubergine?
>>>
>>> john
>>
>> By Obsequies do you mean a wake, John?    We could dress as nuns if
>> not Von Trapps.  And the catering should be lots of crisps and the
>> full contents of the chocolate bunker, with lemon drizzle cakes, flap
>> jacks, pizza, Bridge Farm ice cream and a selection of their cheese,
>> Scruff gin, Shires beer and cups of tea.  Have I missed anything out?
>> Oh yes, Grundy cider :).
>>
> Tom Archer sausages, if Kosher is not an issue. You might get a goose
> from Eddie.

What would Clarrie say?

john

Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIP

<ttfivi$2tot9$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14418&group=uk.media.radio.archers#14418

From: johnashb...@yahoo.com (John Ashby)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 12:23:13 +0000
 by: John Ashby - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 12:23 UTC

On 26/02/2023 11:48, Serena Blanchflower wrote:
> On 25/02/2023 14:50, Jim Easterbrook wrote:

>>> <AOL> as we say on UMRA. I couldn't put it better.
>>
>> And I forgot to than Britters for being the bearer of news. Not only do I
>> not have the words, it appears I also don't have the manners.
>>

> <languid wave>
> Sid really was the BUMRA

And as was shown in a previous post I can't currently find, the GOAT.

john

Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIP

<c0mmvhlesb53h28teuqaf8moi1ugfne3e2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14420&group=uk.media.radio.archers#14420

From: spa...@labyrinth.freeuk.com (Penny)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 13:02:59 +0000
 by: Penny - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 13:02 UTC

On Sun, 26 Feb 2023 12:17:16 +0000, John Ashby <johnashby20@yahoo.com> a
gribouillé dans la poussière...
>On 26/02/2023 11:40, Joe Kerr wrote:
>> On 26/02/2023 11:07, Vicky wrote:

>>> By Obsequies do you mean a wake, John?    We could dress as nuns if
>>> not Von Trapps.  And the catering should be lots of crisps and the
>>> full contents of the chocolate bunker, with lemon drizzle cakes, flap
>>> jacks, pizza, Bridge Farm ice cream and a selection of their cheese,
>>> Scruff gin, Shires beer and cups of tea.  Have I missed anything out?
>>> Oh yes, Grundy cider :).
>>>
>> Tom Archer sausages, if Kosher is not an issue. You might get a goose
>> from Eddie.
>>

>What would Clarrie say?

:)

Or B?
--
Penny
Annoyed by The Archers since 1959

Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIP

<k614k2F17s1U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14421&group=uk.media.radio.archers#14421

From: stevehag...@gmail.com (Steve Hague)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 13:20:02 +0000
 by: Steve Hague - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 13:20 UTC

On 25/02/2023 14:46, BrritSki wrote:
> [...]
> joined some 25 years ago, protecting his identity under the name
> Siderius Nuncius, so he was known to as all as Sid and MOPMOB (Me Old
> Pal, Me Old Beauty in the immortal words of Walter Gabriel). He kept his
> private life very private, but we all enjoyed the observations of the
> Sisters passing by the window under the heading Transit of the Nun (and
> some of us eventually fully appreciated the joke).
>
> Wit and good humour were among the things we most appreciated, often in
> the form of incomparable limericks, and appreciation (and generator) of
> Appalling Bad Taste and also Mere Vulgarity, for which umra has a
> Monitor and an Annual Award Ceremony where he was often honoured.
>
> We also enjoyed the (sadly prescient) nursing home and Matron
> imaginations over several years of which the following gives a sense:
> Ah. Actually, no. Everybody seemed to get rather, well, *edgy* somehow
> after that business with Mrs Edgington's cat Horace, the castor oil and
> the laundry basket. Matron can really be very narrow-minded about these
> matters sometimes - I mean, Horace is getting about quite well again now
> and they've paid for most things out of my Crisp Allowance. Admittedly,
> Mrs E. still looks a bit odd whenever she sees me, but I do think people
> have made an unnecessary fuss.
>
> Anyway, it's been the heavy-duty Deep Blue tablets since then.
>
> Crisps off course were supposedly a no-go area after the meeting with
> Charlotte Green which would require the purple pills to be administered.
>
> Another much loved contribution were ISIHAC style lists of
> film/book/music titles on a theme of which this gives a (rather goaty)
> flavour:
> Goats on a Scandal
> Mr Smith Goats to Washington
> Showgoat
> Goatel New Hampshire
> Heaven's Goat
> Goatal Recall
> The Four Fetas
> ...and that estimable radio programme, Goat Ungoat.
>
> All informed in course by his deep knowledge of music and literature -
> erudition which he wore very lightly - for example it was a long time
> before I realised he was at Cambridge which is not something that
> Oxbridge graduates normally keep you in the dark about ;)
>
> Of course as in any large family, umra had the occasional falling out,
> but Sid was always a calming voice, pouring oil on troubled waters. I
> frequently benefitted from his patient advice (in private) when I erred
> and he was always right when I'd calmed down enough to realise it.
>
> We did not agree on politics, but each respected the other's positions.
> On cricket we did agree and I'm so glad he was able to appreciate the
> start of Stokes' captaincy. I'll be thinking of him a lot during the
> Ashes (oops, BT Nomination).
>
> It seems crazy to be so upset about a man I never met, so I can only
> imagine how his real-life friends and family must feel.

Amen to all of that. I never met him in person, but had a long
association with him on UMRA, and have a book with one of his poems in
it. Something that struck me about him is what a kind man he was. Even
when disagreeing with someone, he was never confrontational, and
expressed his own view with wit and gentle humour. The world will be a
poorer place without him.
Steve

Re: Siderius Nuncius aka David/Dai Lees RIP

<0ifpvhdi4ms6gibc9m6lqm8ceeq4so629o@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14441&group=uk.media.radio.archers#14441

From: nickodel...@yahoo.ca (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2023 14:32:05 +0000
 by: Nick Odell - Mon, 27 Feb 2023 14:32 UTC

On Sat, 25 Feb 2023 13:27:31 +0000, BrritSki
<rtilburyTAKEAWAY@gmail.com> wrote:

>Sorry to tell you the sad news that David/Dai passed away this morning
>at Athlone House. His brother Alan was with him yesterday and held a
>phone to his ear, so that Charlotte could tell him that she loved him,
>and he was able to respond. So that was the last meaningful interaction
>he had, which is something to be hugely grateful for. It is going to be
>very hard for all of us to imagine a world without him, but at least he
>is not suffering any more.

So sorry.
So sad.
So many warm tributes from so many saying all the things I'd want to
say and more.
So sorry.
So sad.

Nick