It just doesn't seem right to go over the river and through the woods to Grandmother's condo.

aus+uk / uk.media.radio.archers / Magpies

SubjectAuthor
* MagpiesJohn Ashby
+* Re: MagpiesMike McMillan
|+- Re: MagpiesVicky
|+* Re: MagpiesJohn Ashby
||`* Re: MagpiesMike McMillan
|| `- Re: MagpiesVicky
|+* Re: MagpiesJim Easterbrook
||`- Re: MagpiesPenny
|`- Re: MagpiesJoe Kerr
`* Re: MagpiesPenny
 `* Re: MagpiesSteve Hague
  +* Re: MagpiesMike McMillan
  |`* Re: MagpiesIain Archer
  | `* Re: MagpiesJenny M Benson
  |  +* Re: MagpiesMike McMillan
  |  |+- Re: MagpiesMike McMillan
  |  |+* Re: MagpiesVicky
  |  ||+* Re: MagpiesChris J Dixon
  |  |||`- Re: MagpiesPenny
  |  ||`- Re: MagpiesSam Plusnet
  |  |+* Re: MagpiesPenny
  |  ||`* Re: MagpiesJohn Armstrong
  |  || +* Re: MagpiesMike McMillan
  |  || |+- Re: MagpiesMike McMillan
  |  || |`* Re: MagpiesVicky
  |  || | `- Re: MagpiesPenny
  |  || `- Re: MagpiesNick Odell
  |  |+- Re: MagpiesJenny M Benson
  |  |+- Re: MagpiesJohn Armstrong
  |  |`* Re: Magpieskrw
  |  | `* Re: MagpiesVicky
  |  |  `- Re: MagpiesMike McMillan
  |  `* Re: MagpiesPenny
  |   `* Re: MagpiesMike McMillan
  |    +* Re: MagpiesPenny
  |    |`* Re: MagpiesPhilip Hole
  |    | `* Re: MagpiesJohn Armstrong
  |    |  +* Re: MagpiesMike McMillan
  |    |  |`* Re: MagpiesSteve Hague
  |    |  | +- Re: MagpiesMike McMillan
  |    |  | `- Re: MagpiesSam Plusnet
  |    |  +* Re: MagpiesPenny
  |    |  |`* Re: MagpiesMike Ruddock
  |    |  | +* Re: MagpiesMike McMillan
  |    |  | |`- Re: MagpiesSam Plusnet
  |    |  | `* Re: MagpiesPenny
  |    |  |  `* Re: MagpiesJohn Finlay
  |    |  |   +* Re: MagpiesMike McMillan
  |    |  |   |`- Re: MagpiesJohn Ashby
  |    |  |   `- Re: MagpiesPenny
  |    |  `* Re: MagpiesNick Odell
  |    |   `- Re: MagpiesJohn Finlay
  |    `- Re: MagpiesSam Plusnet
  +- Re: MagpiesMike McMillan
  `* Re: MagpiesJohn Ashby
   `- Re: MagpiesPenny

Pages:123
Magpies

<ttg1gg$2v3fr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14423&group=uk.media.radio.archers#14423

From: johnashb...@yahoo.com (John Ashby)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Magpies
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 16:31:12 +0000
 by: John Ashby - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 16:31 UTC

In the past few weeks the local magpies have been quite gregarious, with
seldom fewer than 3 visible at any one time. Then yesterday all the
magpies I saw were singletons. I had a difficult conversation to hold in
the afternoon which could easily have led to some sorrow and feared The
magpies knew the outcome in advance. That conversation passed
successfully, however, and there was joy to be had.

I now realize the magpies knew about Sid.

john

Re: Magpies

<ttg621$2vlt5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14424&group=uk.media.radio.archers#14424

From: toodle.p...@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: Magpies
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 17:48:49 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:0R5IZ8U03No6kVVkAngZF9fEw7g=
 by: Mike McMillan - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 17:48 UTC

John Ashby <johnashby20@yahoo.com> wrote:
> In the past few weeks the local magpies have been quite gregarious, with
> seldom fewer than 3 visible at any one time. Then yesterday all the
> magpies I saw were singletons. I had a difficult conversation to hold in
> the afternoon which could easily have led to some sorrow and feared The
> magpies knew the outcome in advance. That conversation passed
> successfully, however, and there was joy to be had.
>
> I now realize the magpies knew about Sid.
>
> john

Yes, ironic isn’t it?

My mother used to talk to any magpies that ventured into her garden or her
walking route if out and about; she had a close friend who did the same and
I think the two of them placed some considerable credence in the numbers of
magpies and would rarely ignore them but instead, recite the rhyme relating
to them. Frequently, I used to hear my mother call out something along the
lines of: ‘Good Morning Mr. Magpie and how is Mrs. Magpie?’

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: Magpies

<f57nvh13knn1g224v7rn0bub8641mba8gc@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14426&group=uk.media.radio.archers#14426

From: vicky.ay...@gmail.com (Vicky)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 17:55:29 +0000
 by: Vicky - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 17:55 UTC

On Sun, 26 Feb 2023 17:48:49 -0000 (UTC), Mike McMillan
<toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com> wrote:

>John Ashby <johnashby20@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> In the past few weeks the local magpies have been quite gregarious, with
>> seldom fewer than 3 visible at any one time. Then yesterday all the
>> magpies I saw were singletons. I had a difficult conversation to hold in
>> the afternoon which could easily have led to some sorrow and feared The
>> magpies knew the outcome in advance. That conversation passed
>> successfully, however, and there was joy to be had.
>>
>> I now realize the magpies knew about Sid.
>>
>> john
>>

>Yes, ironic isn’t it?
>
>My mother used to talk to any magpies that ventured into her garden or her
>walking route if out and about; she had a close friend who did the same and
>I think the two of them placed some considerable credence in the numbers of
>magpies and would rarely ignore them but instead, recite the rhyme relating
>to them. Frequently, I used to hear my mother call out something along the
>lines of: ‘Good Morning Mr. Magpie and how is Mrs. Magpie?’

I learned it as 'Good morning, your lordship, where's your ladyship?'
and always say it to singles. That's supposed to avert the bad luck.
The last week or two there have been 2, 3 or 4 around.

Re: Magpies

<ttg86s$2v3fr$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14427&group=uk.media.radio.archers#14427

From: johnashb...@yahoo.com (John Ashby)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 18:25:32 +0000
 by: John Ashby - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 18:25 UTC

On 26/02/2023 17:48, Mike McMillan wrote:
> John Ashby <johnashby20@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> In the past few weeks the local magpies have been quite gregarious, with
>> seldom fewer than 3 visible at any one time. Then yesterday all the
>> magpies I saw were singletons. I had a difficult conversation to hold in
>> the afternoon which could easily have led to some sorrow and feared The
>> magpies knew the outcome in advance. That conversation passed
>> successfully, however, and there was joy to be had.
>>
>> I now realize the magpies knew about Sid.
>>
>> john
>>

> Yes, ironic isn’t it?
>
> My mother used to talk to any magpies that ventured into her garden or her
> walking route if out and about; she had a close friend who did the same and
> I think the two of them placed some considerable credence in the numbers of
> magpies and would rarely ignore them but instead, recite the rhyme relating
> to them. Frequently, I used to hear my mother call out something along the
> lines of: ‘Good Morning Mr. Magpie and how is Mrs. Magpie?’

My version of the rhyme used to go:
One for sorrow,
Two for grief,
Three for misery,
Four's no relief.

But I'm less cynical these days,

john

Re: Magpies

<ttg8bt$2vu4l$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14428&group=uk.media.radio.archers#14428

From: toodle.p...@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 18:28:13 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:IsnC1ZAMtOIs4bNlaIG6v6Ype3k=
 by: Mike McMillan - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 18:28 UTC

John Ashby <johnashby20@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On 26/02/2023 17:48, Mike McMillan wrote:
>> John Ashby <johnashby20@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> In the past few weeks the local magpies have been quite gregarious, with
>>> seldom fewer than 3 visible at any one time. Then yesterday all the
>>> magpies I saw were singletons. I had a difficult conversation to hold in
>>> the afternoon which could easily have led to some sorrow and feared The
>>> magpies knew the outcome in advance. That conversation passed
>>> successfully, however, and there was joy to be had.
>>>
>>> I now realize the magpies knew about Sid.
>>>
>>> john
>>>

>> Yes, ironic isn’t it?
>>
>> My mother used to talk to any magpies that ventured into her garden or her
>> walking route if out and about; she had a close friend who did the same and
>> I think the two of them placed some considerable credence in the numbers of
>> magpies and would rarely ignore them but instead, recite the rhyme relating
>> to them. Frequently, I used to hear my mother call out something along the
>> lines of: ‘Good Morning Mr. Magpie and how is Mrs. Magpie?’
>>

> My version of the rhyme used to go:
> One for sorrow,
> Two for grief,
> Three for misery,
> Four's no relief.
>
> But I'm less cynical these days,
>
> john

‘Five’s a feast’

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: Magpies

<89anvhpin6nr6unvbseqrmci1bqilsb14r@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14429&group=uk.media.radio.archers#14429

From: vicky.ay...@gmail.com (Vicky)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 18:47:46 +0000
 by: Vicky - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 18:47 UTC

On Sun, 26 Feb 2023 18:28:13 -0000 (UTC), Mike McMillan
<toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com> wrote:

>John Ashby <johnashby20@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> Yes, ironic isn’t it?
>>>
>>> My mother used to talk to any magpies that ventured into her garden or her
>>> walking route if out and about; she had a close friend who did the same and
>>> I think the two of them placed some considerable credence in the numbers of
>>> magpies and would rarely ignore them but instead, recite the rhyme relating
>>> to them. Frequently, I used to hear my mother call out something along the
>>> lines of: ‘Good Morning Mr. Magpie and how is Mrs. Magpie?’
>>>

>> My version of the rhyme used to go:
>> One for sorrow,
>> Two for grief,
>> Three for misery,
>> Four's no relief.
>>
>> But I'm less cynical these days,
>>
>> john
>>

>‘Five’s a feast’

One for sorrow
Two for joy
Three for girl
Four for a boy
Five for silver
Six for goldSeven for a secret never to be told

Re: Magpies

<k61osvF46n3U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14431&group=uk.media.radio.archers#14431

From: new...@jim-easterbrook.me.uk (Jim Easterbrook)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: 26 Feb 2023 19:06:07 GMT
 by: Jim Easterbrook - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 19:06 UTC

On Sun, 26 Feb 2023 17:48:49 -0000 (UTC), Mike McMillan wrote:

> My mother used to talk to any magpies that ventured into her garden or
> her walking route if out and about; she had a close friend who did the
> same and I think the two of them placed some considerable credence in
> the numbers of magpies and would rarely ignore them but instead, recite
> the rhyme relating to them. Frequently, I used to hear my mother call
> out something along the lines of: ‘Good Morning Mr. Magpie and how is
> Mrs. Magpie?’

Once upon a time magpies were assumed to be female, hence the 'mag' in
their name. Jackdaws were similarly assumed to be male. I wonder when the
truth entered the folklore.

--
Jim <http://www.jim-easterbrook.me.uk/>

Re: Magpies

<06bnvh5adflleffunammhrqkbc241r95pc@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14432&group=uk.media.radio.archers#14432

From: spa...@labyrinth.freeuk.com (Penny)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 19:19:54 +0000
 by: Penny - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 19:19 UTC

On Sun, 26 Feb 2023 16:31:12 +0000, John Ashby <johnashby20@yahoo.com> a
gribouillé dans la poussière...

>In the past few weeks the local magpies have been quite gregarious, with
>seldom fewer than 3 visible at any one time. Then yesterday all the
>magpies I saw were singletons. I had a difficult conversation to hold in
>the afternoon which could easily have led to some sorrow and feared The
>magpies knew the outcome in advance. That conversation passed
>successfully, however, and there was joy to be had.

With mating season upon them, the behaviour of magpies (and pigeons)
hereabouts has been noisy, and in at least one case, destructive.
Singletons probably missed out.

I met a very handsome crow sitting on the ground on a corner of the hedge
between my road and the next the other day. The crow kept still and blinked
a lot, making its eyes sparkle at me, but plainly something was wrong or it
would have flown away. A cat was watching from its position under a
neighbour's car, two magpies were in a tree nearby. I addressed the crow
quietly, it turned its head a bit but otherwise did not move. I continued
on my little walk and, as soon as I was round the corner, I heard the
magpies. They were mobbing the crow - I shouted at them - they flew off and
the crow hopped across the road - it had a broken wing - and managed to get
through another hedge, out of sight.

>I now realize the magpies knew about Sid.

All the birds of the air fell a sighing and a sobbin' ...
--
Penny
Annoyed by The Archers since 1959

Re: Magpies

<iacnvh9jtukhfnp3a33t9r1519tiemqmc3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14433&group=uk.media.radio.archers#14433

From: spa...@labyrinth.freeuk.com (Penny)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 19:24:11 +0000
 by: Penny - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 19:24 UTC

On 26 Feb 2023 19:06:07 GMT, Jim Easterbrook <news@jim-easterbrook.me.uk> a
gribouillé dans la poussière...

>On Sun, 26 Feb 2023 17:48:49 -0000 (UTC), Mike McMillan wrote:
>
>> My mother used to talk to any magpies that ventured into her garden or
>> her walking route if out and about; she had a close friend who did the
>> same and I think the two of them placed some considerable credence in
>> the numbers of magpies and would rarely ignore them but instead, recite
>> the rhyme relating to them. Frequently, I used to hear my mother call
>> out something along the lines of: ‘Good Morning Mr. Magpie and how is
>> Mrs. Magpie?’
>
>Once upon a time magpies were assumed to be female, hence the 'mag' in
>their name. Jackdaws were similarly assumed to be male. I wonder when the
>truth entered the folklore.

When I was little I thought Robins were male and Wrens were their female
mates. I blame the north wind, or some such rhyme.
--
Penny
Annoyed by The Archers since 1959

Re: Magpies

<tth0q9$32gcp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14435&group=uk.media.radio.archers#14435

From: joe_k...@cheerful.com (Joe Kerr)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2023 01:25:28 +0000
 by: Joe Kerr - Mon, 27 Feb 2023 01:25 UTC

On 26/02/2023 17:48, Mike McMillan wrote:
> John Ashby <johnashby20@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> In the past few weeks the local magpies have been quite gregarious, with
>> seldom fewer than 3 visible at any one time. Then yesterday all the
>> magpies I saw were singletons. I had a difficult conversation to hold in
>> the afternoon which could easily have led to some sorrow and feared The
>> magpies knew the outcome in advance. That conversation passed
>> successfully, however, and there was joy to be had.
>>
>> I now realize the magpies knew about Sid.
>>
>> john
>>

> Yes, ironic isn’t it?
>
> My mother used to talk to any magpies that ventured into her garden or her
> walking route if out and about; she had a close friend who did the same and
> I think the two of them placed some considerable credence in the numbers of
> magpies and would rarely ignore them but instead, recite the rhyme relating
> to them. Frequently, I used to hear my mother call out something along the
> lines of: ‘Good Morning Mr. Magpie and how is Mrs. Magpie?’

I tend to go with "Good morning/afternoon Mr magpie. Leave those feeders
alone. You and those pigeons are going to bankrupt me."

--
Ric

Re: Magpies

<k63g7qFc7bsU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14436&group=uk.media.radio.archers#14436

From: stevehag...@gmail.com (Steve Hague)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2023 10:50:33 +0000
 by: Steve Hague - Mon, 27 Feb 2023 10:50 UTC

> I met a very handsome crow sitting on the ground on a corner of the hedge
> between my road and the next the other day. The crow kept still and blinked
> a lot, making its eyes sparkle at me, but plainly something was wrong or it
> would have flown away. A cat was watching from its position under a
> neighbour's car, two magpies were in a tree nearby. I addressed the crow
> quietly, it turned its head a bit but otherwise did not move. I continued
> on my little walk and, as soon as I was round the corner, I heard the
> magpies. They were mobbing the crow - I shouted at them - they flew off and
> the crow hopped across the road - it had a broken wing - and managed to get
> through another hedge, out of sight.
>
>> I now realize the magpies knew about Sid.
>
> All the birds of the air fell a sighing and a sobbin' ...

The cat was probably in a defensive position. Cats are easily
intimidated by magpies. I've often heard that rattling sound they make
accompanied by a cat hurtling indoors to take refuge. Magpies have some
bad habits by human standards, but I enjoy seeing them around, they're
beautiful in their iridescent black and white livery and highly intelligent.
Steve

Re: Magpies

<tti4oc$38mnc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14437&group=uk.media.radio.archers#14437

From: toodle.p...@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2023 11:38:52 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:iVC9T/0Nu+TEWVnyr+eAk6rLMl8=
 by: Mike McMillan - Mon, 27 Feb 2023 11:38 UTC

Steve Hague <stevehague82@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I met a very handsome crow sitting on the ground on a corner of the hedge
>> between my road and the next the other day. The crow kept still and blinked
>> a lot, making its eyes sparkle at me, but plainly something was wrong or it
>> would have flown away. A cat was watching from its position under a
>> neighbour's car, two magpies were in a tree nearby. I addressed the crow
>> quietly, it turned its head a bit but otherwise did not move. I continued
>> on my little walk and, as soon as I was round the corner, I heard the
>> magpies. They were mobbing the crow - I shouted at them - they flew off and
>> the crow hopped across the road - it had a broken wing - and managed to get
>> through another hedge, out of sight.
>>
>>> I now realize the magpies knew about Sid.
>>
>> All the birds of the air fell a sighing and a sobbin' ...
>
> The cat was probably in a defensive position. Cats are easily
> intimidated by magpies. I've often heard that rattling sound they make
> accompanied by a cat hurtling indoors to take refuge. Magpies have some
> bad habits by human standards, but I enjoy seeing them around, they're
> beautiful in their iridescent black and white livery and highly intelligent.
> Steve

Someone might care to write an opera about err ….. oh!

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: Magpies

<tti5g7$38pbu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14438&group=uk.media.radio.archers#14438

From: toodle.p...@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2023 11:51:35 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:jRhElOy7hrndiyKurtUq/SVP0E4=
 by: Mike McMillan - Mon, 27 Feb 2023 11:51 UTC

Steve Hague <stevehague82@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I met a very handsome crow sitting on the ground on a corner of the hedge
>> between my road and the next the other day. The crow kept still and blinked
>> a lot, making its eyes sparkle at me, but plainly something was wrong or it
>> would have flown away. A cat was watching from its position under a
>> neighbour's car, two magpies were in a tree nearby. I addressed the crow
>> quietly, it turned its head a bit but otherwise did not move. I continued
>> on my little walk and, as soon as I was round the corner, I heard the
>> magpies. They were mobbing the crow - I shouted at them - they flew off and
>> the crow hopped across the road - it had a broken wing - and managed to get
>> through another hedge, out of sight.
>>
>>> I now realize the magpies knew about Sid.
>>
>> All the birds of the air fell a sighing and a sobbin' ...
>
> The cat was probably in a defensive position. Cats are easily
> intimidated by magpies. I've often heard that rattling sound they make
> accompanied by a cat hurtling indoors to take refuge. Magpies have some
> bad habits by human standards, but I enjoy seeing them around, they're
> beautiful in their iridescent black and white livery and highly intelligent.
> Steve

Yup, I can vouch for the defensively positioned cat; on campus we had a
stray cat that inveigled itself into the hearts of the students and staff -
inevitably named by the porters as ‘Campuss’. Now, Campuss was fond of the
various air-borne creatures that flew over and around ‘his’ airspace and
was not adverse to caressing the occasional such creature with his teeth if
the ‘oppawtunity’ arose. (Sorry about that but temptation is only any use
if given into I always say.) The Magpies took exception to this dental
familiarity with their feathers and would sit on tree branches and harangue
Campuss with their very noisiest football rattles. Campuss would cower,
metaphorically covering his ears with his front paws and await an
opportunity (see, I can resist!) to dash away to somewhere more conducive
to a quiet unthreatened lifestyle.

Campuss was a member of the pastoral staff too; he was the first line of
solace for many a troubled student who would go and find him, make a fuss
of him and tell him all their troubles.

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: Magpies

<tti90k$3922g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14439&group=uk.media.radio.archers#14439

From: johnashb...@yahoo.com (John Ashby)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2023 12:51:32 +0000
 by: John Ashby - Mon, 27 Feb 2023 12:51 UTC

On 27/02/2023 10:50, Steve Hague wrote:

>> I met a very handsome crow sitting on the ground on a corner of the hedge
>> between my road and the next the other day. The crow kept still and
>> blinked
>> a lot, making its eyes sparkle at me, but plainly something was wrong
>> or it
>> would have flown away. A cat was watching from its position under a
>> neighbour's car, two magpies were in a tree nearby. I addressed the crow
>> quietly, it turned its head a bit but otherwise did not move. I continued
>> on my little walk and, as soon as I was round the corner, I heard the
>> magpies. They were mobbing the crow - I shouted at them - they flew
>> off and
>> the crow hopped across the road - it had a broken wing - and managed
>> to get
>> through another hedge, out of sight.
>>
>>> I now realize the magpies knew about Sid.
>>
>> All the birds of the air fell a sighing and a sobbin' ...
>
> The cat was probably in a defensive position. Cats are easily
> intimidated by magpies. I've often heard that rattling sound they make
> accompanied by a cat hurtling indoors to take refuge. Magpies have some
> bad habits by human standards, but I enjoy seeing them around, they're
> beautiful in their iridescent black and white livery and highly
> intelligent.
> Steve

There's a man across the road who puts out breadcrumbs for the birds.
One morning a few weeks ago the ground was covered by about twenty gulls
and three magpies when a red kite decided to take an interest in
proceedings. The kite swooped down, the gulls flew up and scattered and
the magpies stood there looking up and clearly saying "Come on then if
you think you're hard enough."

john

Re: Magpies

<ttiacm$38kfj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14440&group=uk.media.radio.archers#14440

From: ian...@montaigne.me.uk (Iain Archer)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2023 13:15:03 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Iain Archer - Mon, 27 Feb 2023 13:15 UTC

On Mon, 27 Feb 2023 11:38:52 +0000, Mike McMillan wrote:

> Steve Hague <stevehague82@gmail.com> wrote:
[.....]
>> The cat was probably in a defensive position. Cats are easily
>> intimidated by magpies. I've often heard that rattling sound they make
>> accompanied by a cat hurtling indoors to take refuge. Magpies have some
>> bad habits by human standards, but I enjoy seeing them around, they're
>> beautiful in their iridescent black and white livery and highly intelligent.
>> Steve
>>

> Someone might care to write an opera about err ….. oh!

I think that was the first record I ever bought, a 78 of the overture,
probably on two sides. We'd been bussed from school to a ? Ernest Read
Children's Concert at the RFH, and the first item was the overture to
La Gazza Ladra. We were in the stalls, and I remember finding the quality
of the sound quite electrifying. That 12-year old's aural sensitivity
has faded a bit since.

I'm not all that keen on magpies for some reason -- maybe I'd like them a bit
more if they were smaller -- and I don't notice the beauty I'm afraid. In fact
I don't think I've ever noticed the blue and green regions, though I see that
my brid books do show them, in varying degree of brightness. It's the blue wing
panel of the very occasional jay visitors here that first grabs my attention,
so I do have the colour perception. Anyway, I'll give the next few magpies
I meet a respectful once-over, though can't promise them any conversation.

--
Iain

Re: Magpies

<k63vrbFchrqU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14442&group=uk.media.radio.archers#14442

From: NemoN...@hotmail.co.uk (Jenny M Benson)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2023 15:16:58 +0000
 by: Jenny M Benson - Mon, 27 Feb 2023 15:16 UTC

On 27/02/2023 13:15, Iain Archer wrote:
>> Someone might care to write an opera about err ….. oh!
> I think that was the first record I ever bought, a 78 of the overture,
> probably on two sides.

A day or 2 ago I was listening to Counterpoint and heard - for the
severalth time - the contestants say which was the first record they'd
bought.

I was 13 when my father came home one day with a Dansette record player
and about half-a-dozen records. He'd said to the girl behind the
counter at Rushworth & Draper something along the lines of "what's
popular with the young people at the moment?" I'm fairly certain that
they included Tommy Steele's Nairobi and Terry Dene's White Sports
Count. No way can I remember what was the first one I bought for myself.

--
Jenny M Benson
Wrexham, UK

Re: Magpies

<ttimsg$3aajb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14443&group=uk.media.radio.archers#14443

From: toodle.p...@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2023 16:48:16 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:dCCTdwi3CftUm9VbsefD10V6Dw8=
 by: Mike McMillan - Mon, 27 Feb 2023 16:48 UTC

Jenny M Benson <NemoNews@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
> On 27/02/2023 13:15, Iain Archer wrote:
>>> Someone might care to write an opera about err ….. oh!
>> I think that was the first record I ever bought, a 78 of the overture,
>> probably on two sides.
>
> A day or 2 ago I was listening to Counterpoint and heard - for the
> severalth time - the contestants say which was the first record they'd
> bought.
>
> I was 13 when my father came home one day with a Dansette record player
> and about half-a-dozen records. He'd said to the girl behind the
> counter at Rushworth & Draper something along the lines of "what's
> popular with the young people at the moment?" I'm fairly certain that
> they included Tommy Steele's Nairobi and Terry Dene's White Sports
> Count. No way can I remember what was the first one I bought for myself.

Dunno if this was the same or a different song but, there was a song ‘White
Sport Coat’ and I often wondered if this was the same thing as a Sports
Coat or not. As to Tommy Steele, I know he had a A Little White Bull - was
this the same era? My parents played Little White Bull many times on the
‘Radiogram in the living room (loudly).

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: Magpies

<ttin60$3abi2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14444&group=uk.media.radio.archers#14444

From: toodle.p...@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2023 16:53:20 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:oyKbfhE35pnbjSMeXtmNP9Ket5c=
 by: Mike McMillan - Mon, 27 Feb 2023 16:53 UTC

Mike McMillan <toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com> wrote:
> Jenny M Benson <NemoNews@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
>>> I think that was the first record I ever bought, a 78 of the overture,
>>> probably on two sides.
>>
>> A day or 2 ago I was listening to Counterpoint and heard - for the
>> severalth time - the contestants say which was the first record they'd
>> bought.
>>
>> I was 13 when my father came home one day with a Dansette record player
>> and about half-a-dozen records. He'd said to the girl behind the
>> counter at Rushworth & Draper something along the lines of "what's
>> popular with the young people at the moment?" I'm fairly certain that
>> they included Tommy Steele's Nairobi and Terry Dene's White Sports
>> Count. No way can I remember what was the first one I bought for myself.
>>

> Dunno if this was the same or a different song but, there was a song ‘White
> Sport Coat’ and I often wondered if this was the same thing as a Sports
> Coat or not. As to Tommy Steele, I know he had a A Little White Bull - was
> this the same era? My parents played Little White Bull many times on the
> ‘Radiogram in the living room (loudly).

Mine Dew, we also had 78’s of The Song of the Volga Boatman and also of
Zambeeze (sp?) (this I remember from the pink sleeve, on the label they had
a depiction of a multi-story curved building that looked as if it might be
a car park.)

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: Magpies

<vvopvh5j3aucechomhrkcu6ais6ipfr6mb@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14445&group=uk.media.radio.archers#14445

From: vicky.ay...@gmail.com (Vicky)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2023 17:15:08 +0000
 by: Vicky - Mon, 27 Feb 2023 17:15 UTC

On Mon, 27 Feb 2023 16:48:16 -0000 (UTC), Mike McMillan
<toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com> wrote:

>Jenny M Benson <NemoNews@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
>>> I think that was the first record I ever bought, a 78 of the overture,
>>> probably on two sides.
>>
>> A day or 2 ago I was listening to Counterpoint and heard - for the
>> severalth time - the contestants say which was the first record they'd
>> bought.
>>
>> I was 13 when my father came home one day with a Dansette record player
>> and about half-a-dozen records. He'd said to the girl behind the
>> counter at Rushworth & Draper something along the lines of "what's
>> popular with the young people at the moment?" I'm fairly certain that
>> they included Tommy Steele's Nairobi and Terry Dene's White Sports
>> Count. No way can I remember what was the first one I bought for myself.
>>

>Dunno if this was the same or a different song but, there was a song ‘White
>Sport Coat’ and I often wondered if this was the same thing as a Sports
>Coat or not. As to Tommy Steele, I know he had a A Little White Bull - was
>this the same era? My parents played Little White Bull many times on the
>‘Radiogram in the living room (loudly).

I remember it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5liKwhEIcwc

My cousin gave me her old record player. You had to wind it up,not
electric. And some time later my mum got it converted to electricity.
I had 78s and when I was a volunteer DJ at Hospital Radio Barnet one
of the others offered to put those 78s on tape.

He never came with the tape and when I asked said he thought I'd given
him the 78s and he'd sold them :( There were some I really regretted.
Recordings by Quentin Reynolds, a US war correspondent in WW2. Dear Mr
S and Dear Dr. Mr S was Shickelgruber and Dr was Goebels. #

https://www.google.com/search?q=quentin+reynolds+Dear+Dr&rlz=1C1AWFC_enGB895GB970&sxsrf=AJOqlzV3UPsjHQUWAIxAeBipZ2qb3rFDuA%3A1677517803419&ei=6-P8Y6OfGe6NhbIP_NW3qAQ&ved=0ahUKEwjjwJvmmLb9AhXuRkEAHfzqDUUQ4dUDCA8&uact=5&oq=quentin+reynolds+Dear+Dr&gs_lcp=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_EVgy01oAnAAeACAAW2IAeUPkgEEMjQuMZgBAKABAcgBAcABAQ&sclient=gws-wiz-serp

Re: Magpies

<fa5qvhtiloe8subek3vuenpm3iogtogpff@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14446&group=uk.media.radio.archers#14446

From: spa...@labyrinth.freeuk.com (Penny)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2023 20:52:44 +0000
 by: Penny - Mon, 27 Feb 2023 20:52 UTC

On Mon, 27 Feb 2023 12:51:32 +0000, John Ashby <johnashby20@yahoo.com> a
gribouillé dans la poussière...

>There's a man across the road who puts out breadcrumbs for the birds.
>One morning a few weeks ago the ground was covered by about twenty gulls
>and three magpies when a red kite decided to take an interest in
>proceedings. The kite swooped down, the gulls flew up and scattered and
>the magpies stood there looking up and clearly saying "Come on then if
>you think you're hard enough."

We do get kites here but buzzards are more common. I often see rooks and
gulls (sometimes together) chasing off a buzzard* in the nesting season,
but I've never seen magpies joining in.

*The buzzard does glide away, but in an arrogantly languid fashion,
occasionally flipping a wing if one of the smaller birds gets too close.
--
Penny
Annoyed by The Archers since 1959

Re: Magpies

<8i6qvh1qdk0ck2fv0i83jic3eu868trva2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14447&group=uk.media.radio.archers#14447

From: spa...@labyrinth.freeuk.com (Penny)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2023 21:11:10 +0000
 by: Penny - Mon, 27 Feb 2023 21:11 UTC

On Mon, 27 Feb 2023 15:16:58 +0000, Jenny M Benson <NemoNews@hotmail.co.uk>
a gribouillé dans la poussière...

>I was 13 when my father came home one day with a Dansette record player
>and about half-a-dozen records. He'd said to the girl behind the
>counter at Rushworth & Draper something along the lines of "what's
>popular with the young people at the moment?" I'm fairly certain that
>they included Tommy Steele's Nairobi and Terry Dene's White Sports
>Count.

We already had several record players (mostly clockwork from jumble sales)
when my father did something similar on his first business trip to the USA.
He asked for four records which were in the current US top ten but not in
the British charts. Which was how we came to hear Sony & Cher's 'I got you
babe' before anyone else at school.

>No way can I remember what was the first one I bought for myself.

Mine was 'Terry', by Twinkle - much to the disgust of the chap in the
record shop. 6/3 still seems a very high price in terms of weeks of pocket
money.
--
Penny
Annoyed by The Archers since 1959

Re: Magpies

<147qvhdituljkv3e9mnrgjjbtgk9nls4f0@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14448&group=uk.media.radio.archers#14448

From: spa...@labyrinth.freeuk.com (Penny)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2023 21:23:02 +0000
 by: Penny - Mon, 27 Feb 2023 21:23 UTC

On Mon, 27 Feb 2023 16:48:16 -0000 (UTC), Mike McMillan
<toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com> a gribouillé dans la poussière...

> My parents played Little White Bull many times on the
>‘Radiogram in the living room (loudly).

We had that, we also had an old book which told the same story, I think.
Then there was 'The Runaway Train' (who sang that?) and some Russ Conway.
--
Penny
Annoyed by The Archers since 1959

Re: Magpies

<k651etFchrqU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14449&group=uk.media.radio.archers#14449

From: NemoN...@hotmail.co.uk (Jenny M Benson)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2023 00:50:36 +0000
 by: Jenny M Benson - Tue, 28 Feb 2023 00:50 UTC

On 27/02/2023 16:48, Mike McMillan wrote:
> Dunno if this was the same or a different song but, there was a song ‘White
> Sport Coat’

Same song - appalling typing:-(
--
Jenny M Benson
Wrexham, UK

Re: Magpies

<ttkdh2$3i9p8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14450&group=uk.media.radio.archers#14450

From: toodle.p...@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2023 08:20:50 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:Z2v/Y/ml42Sxi1XB3zK+K7VOQK4=
 by: Mike McMillan - Tue, 28 Feb 2023 08:20 UTC

Penny <spam@labyrinth.freeuk.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Feb 2023 15:16:58 +0000, Jenny M Benson <NemoNews@hotmail.co.uk>
> a gribouillé dans la poussière...
>
>> I was 13 when my father came home one day with a Dansette record player
>> and about half-a-dozen records. He'd said to the girl behind the
>> counter at Rushworth & Draper something along the lines of "what's
>> popular with the young people at the moment?" I'm fairly certain that
>> they included Tommy Steele's Nairobi and Terry Dene's White Sports
>> Count.
>
> We already had several record players (mostly clockwork from jumble sales)
> when my father did something similar on his first business trip to the USA.
> He asked for four records which were in the current US top ten but not in
> the British charts. Which was how we came to hear Sony & Cher's 'I got you
> babe' before anyone else at school.
>
>> No way can I remember what was the first one I bought for myself.
>
> Mine was 'Terry', by Twinkle - much to the disgust of the chap in the
> record shop. 6/3 still seems a very high price in terms of weeks of pocket
> money.

You ‘ad pocket money, we dreamt of that - ‘ad to pick up discarded bottle
tops….

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: Magpies

<oehrvht8due8l1hebpdh5agac9j7qb5tn9@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14451&group=uk.media.radio.archers#14451

From: jja...@blueyonder.co.uk (John Armstrong)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2023 09:23:02 +0000
 by: John Armstrong - Tue, 28 Feb 2023 09:23 UTC

On Mon, 27 Feb 2023 16:48:16 -0000 (UTC), Mike McMillan
<toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com> wrote:

>Dunno if this was the same or a different song but, there was a song ‘White
>Sport Coat’ and I often wondered if this was the same thing as a Sports
>Coat or not. As to Tommy Steele, I know he had a A Little White Bull - was
>this the same era? My parents played Little White Bull many times on the
>‘Radiogram in the living room (loudly).

The Song was "A White Sport Coat". "Sport" I think because Americans
seem to have a problem with some plurals - cf "maths" and "math".

There were two versions of the song released in 1957, one by The King
Brothers, which reached No 6, and one by Terry Dene which reached No
18.

Tommy Steele's "Little White Bull" entered the charts in Dec 1959 and
reached No 6.

All info from my trusty 1981 "Guinness Book of Hit Singles".