Help stamp out Mickey-Mouse computer interfaces -- Menus are for Restaurants!

aus+uk / uk.sport.cricket / Re: What is the all time best NZ team?

SubjectAuthor
* What is the all time best NZ team?RH
+* Re: What is the all time best NZ team?Michael Gooding
|`- Re: What is the all time best NZ team?RH
+* Re: What is the all time best NZ team?John Hall
|+* Re: What is the all time best NZ team?Mike Holmans
||`- Re: What is the all time best NZ team?RH
|`- Re: What is the all time best NZ team?David North
+* Re: What is the all time best NZ team?chandelle
|+- Re: What is the all time best NZ team?jack fredricks
|`* Re: What is the all time best NZ team?Mike Holmans
| +* Re: What is the all time best NZ team?Andy Walker
| |+- Re: What is the all time best NZ team?RH
| |+* Re: What is the all time best NZ team?Mike Holmans
| ||`* Re: What is the all time best NZ team?John Hall
| || +* Re: What is the all time best NZ team?Mike Holmans
| || `- Re: What is the all time best NZ team?RH
| |+- Re: What is the all time best NZ team?Brian Lawrence
| |`- Re: What is the all time best NZ team?jack fredricks
| `* Re: What is the all time best NZ team?max.it
|  `* Re: What is the all time best NZ team?steve hague
|   +- Re: What is the all time best NZ team?jack fredricks
|   `* Re: What is the all time best NZ team?Michael Gooding
|    `- Re: What is the all time best NZ team?steve hague
+- Re: What is the all time best NZ team?RH
`- Re: What is the all time best NZ team?RH

Pages:12
Re: What is the all time best NZ team?

<20ojdgt2gg2vuagoij4elqf7a6ebqaivfh@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14861&group=uk.sport.cricket#14861

From: spa...@jackalope.uk (Mike Holmans)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Subject: Re: What is the all time best NZ team?
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2021 15:48:07 +0100
 by: Mike Holmans - Mon, 28 Jun 2021 14:48 UTC

On Mon, 28 Jun 2021 04:49:53 -0700 (PDT), Hamish Laws
<hamish.laws@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Monday, June 28, 2021 at 3:18:24 AM UTC+10, Mike Holmans wrote:
>> On Sun, 27 Jun 2021 16:46:43 +0100, John Hall
>> <john_...@jhall.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> >In message <n7ngdghmupem3faiq...@4ax.com>, Mike Holmans
>> ><sp...@jackalope.uk> writes
>> ><big snip>
>> >
>> >I thought that I'd read that he was a particularly fine cover-driver. It
>> >also may be that he played in a period when players tended to favour the
>> >off side, so that his ability to score well on the leg side made him
>> >stand out.
>> I have some recollection of reading that he scored at least 75% of his
>> runs on the leg side. Of course, I could well have got that wrong, and
>> that it was someone else of very high reputation who was so heavily
>> leg-side biased, in which case that would be the guy who I wouldn't
>> fancy to do anything like as well today.
>>
>Everywhere I've seen him described has him as almost entirely an off-side aggressive player.
>Grimmett & O'Reilly used to tie him down with a leg stump line
>
>Bradman was more optimised for onside play but could adjust to the offside, I've read that in his early days Greg Chappell was very on-side dominant (and Bradman advised him on a couple of changes to make), I think it was in an authorised biography I read.

I obviously got the name wrong. I'm sure there was one highly-rated
player who was very leg-side dominant, but it doesn't actually matter
who it was for the purpose of suggesting that a past player with that
characteristic would probably find today's conditions much more
difficult and would not do as well as other contemporaries using the
advanced TARDIS technology Andy Walker was positing.

Cheers,

Mike

Re: What is the all time best NZ team?

<sbcpam$g1d$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14862&group=uk.sport.cricket#14862

From: stevehag...@gmail.com (steve hague)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2021 16:19:52 +0100
 by: steve hague - Mon, 28 Jun 2021 15:19 UTC

On 28/06/2021 12:04, Michael Gooding wrote:
> On Monday, 28 June 2021 at 06:36:48 UTC+1, steve hague wrote:
>> On 27/06/2021 20:03, max.it wrote:

>>> The only time I saw Black Sabbath live it was post Ozzie and Ian
>>> Gillen was singing for them. They played smoke on the water.
>>>
>>> Was it Gillen who said that Deep Purple was going to make an album so
>>> heavy you won't be able to lift it off of the turntable?
>>> Tony Iommi said 'hold my beer' and Sabbath released Sabbath bloody
>>> sabbath.
>>> Just another one of those genius peoples, that go un noticed, like
>>> cricket players.
>>>
>>> max.it
>>>
>> I saw them in 1971. They weren't a patch on Led Zep, who I'd seen a
>> couple of weeks earlier.
>> Steve Hague
>
> Was that the Wembley arena concert? I was there too. I looked stunning in my dayglo orange loon pants.
>
> Mike Gooding

No, Sheffield City Hall.

aus+uk / uk.sport.cricket / Re: What is the all time best NZ team?