"You must have an IQ of at least half a million." -- Popeye

aus+uk / uk.telecom.mobile / Pay As You Go SIM Card Expiry: Minimum Usage Requirements To Stay Active

SubjectAuthor
* Pay As You Go SIM Card Expiry: Minimum Usage Requirements To Stay ActiveMartin Nicholas
+* Re: Pay As You Go SIM Card Expiry: Minimum Usage Requirements To Stay ActiveTweed
|`* Re: Pay As You Go SIM Card Expiry: Minimum Usage Requirements To Stay ActiveAnthonyL
| `- Re: Pay As You Go SIM Card Expiry: Minimum Usage Requirements To Stay ActiveMark
+- Re: Pay As You Go SIM Card Expiry: Minimum Usage Requirements To Stay ActiveDave Royal
+* Re: Pay As You Go SIM Card Expiry: Minimum Usage Requirements To Stay ActiveOttavio Caruso
> [...]
| | |  `- Re: Pay As You Go SIM Card Expiry: Minimum Usage Requirements To Stay ActiveAnthonyL
| | `* Re: Pay As You Go SIM Card Expiry: Minimum Usage Requirements To Stay ActivePamela
| |  `* Re: Pay As You Go SIM Card Expiry: Minimum Usage Requirements To Stay ActiveOttavio Caruso
| |   `* Re: Pay As You Go SIM Card Expiry: Minimum Usage Requirements To Stay ActivePamela
| |    `* Re: Pay As You Go SIM Card Expiry: Minimum Usage Requirements To Stay ActiveOttavio Caruso
| |     +- Re: Pay As You Go SIM Card Expiry: Minimum Usage Requirements To Stay ActiveWoody
| |     `* Re: Pay As You Go SIM Card Expiry: Minimum Usage Requirements To Stay ActivePamela
| |      `- Re: Pay As You Go SIM Card Expiry: Minimum Usage Requirements To Stay ActiveOttavio Caruso
| `- Re: Pay As You Go SIM Card Expiry: Minimum Usage Requirements To Stay ActiveChris Green
+- Re: Pay As You Go SIM Card Expiry: Minimum Usage Requirements To Stay ActiveChris J Dixon
`- Re: Pay As You Go SIM Card Expiry: Minimum Usage Requirements To Stay ActivePete Forman

Pages:123
Pay As You Go SIM Card Expiry: Minimum Usage Requirements To Stay Active

<20240229160230.53020e31@dsklinux.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15028&group=uk.telecom.mobile#15028

From: reply-2...@mgn.org.uk (Martin Nicholas)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Subject: Pay As You Go SIM Card Expiry: Minimum Usage Requirements To Stay
Active
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 16:02:30 +0000
 by: Martin Nicholas - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 16:02 UTC

Useful roundup:
https://kenstechtips.com/index.php/payg-inactivity-account-termination-and-credit-expiry

--
Regards,

Martin Nicholas.

E-mail: reply-202402@mgn.org.uk (Address will be valid throughout
February).

A Usenet posting via: https://www.eternal-september.org/. If you find
their service useful, please make a donation.

Re: Pay As You Go SIM Card Expiry: Minimum Usage Requirements To Stay Active

<urqagg$mjv4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15029&group=uk.telecom.mobile#15029

From: usenet.t...@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Subject: Re: Pay As You Go SIM Card Expiry: Minimum Usage
Requirements To Stay Active
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 16:14:08 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:inPPvxSZtcHryHnj2FlVDbMk9rU=
 by: Tweed - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 16:14 UTC

Martin Nicholas <reply-2024@mgn.org.uk> wrote:
> Useful roundup:
> https://kenstechtips.com/index.php/payg-inactivity-account-termination-and-credit-expiry

That’s useful - it’s made me aware that 1p mobile have increased their
minimum annual spend from £30 to £40.

Re: Pay As You Go SIM Card Expiry: Minimum Usage Requirements To Stay Active

<urqdik$n91b$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15030&group=uk.telecom.mobile#15030

From: dav...@dave123royal.com (Dave Royal)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Subject: Re: Pay As You Go SIM Card Expiry: Minimum Usage Requirements To
Stay Active
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 17:06:24 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Dave Royal - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 17:06 UTC

Martin Nicholas <reply-2024@mgn.org.uk> Wrote in message:

> Useful roundup:
> https://kenstechtips.com/index.php/payg-inactivity-account-termination-and-credit-expiry

I first came accross RWG mobile on that site's summary of PAYG
SIMs, but I see it's not mentioned. (I considered it, but its
reputation is, er, mixed.)

The T&C say you need to use it every 90 days or it will only
receive calls, and it may expire after 180.
--
Remove numerics from my email address.

Re: Pay As You Go SIM Card Expiry: Minimum Usage Requirements To Stay Active

<urqokc$pf2s$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15033&group=uk.telecom.mobile#15033

From: ottavio2...@yahoo.com (Ottavio Caruso)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Active
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 20:15:08 +0000
 by: Ottavio Caruso - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 20:15 UTC

Am 29/02/2024 um 16:02 schrieb Martin Nicholas:
> Useful roundup:
> https://kenstechtips.com/index.php/payg-inactivity-account-termination-and-credit-expiry

Thanks. I need to find a replacement for Asda Mobile.

--
Ottavio Caruso

Re: Pay As You Go SIM Card Expiry: Minimum Usage Requirements To Stay Active

<urr18j$rcsm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15034&group=uk.telecom.mobile#15034

From: harroga...@ntlworld.com (Woody)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Active
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 22:42:26 +0000
 by: Woody - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 22:42 UTC

On Thu 29/02/2024 20:15, Ottavio Caruso wrote:
> Am 29/02/2024 um 16:02 schrieb Martin Nicholas:
>> Useful roundup:
>> https://kenstechtips.com/index.php/payg-inactivity-account-termination-and-credit-expiry
>>

> Thanks. I need to find a replacement for Asda Mobile.

As others (and the link above) all say, GiffGaff is consistently rated
as the best SIM only/PAYG offer. The good bit is that whilst there is a
human (emailed) support system available if you get stuck, everything
else you do yourself on line. That includes top up and/or switching
functions on and off. (GG was once openly named in an episode of NCIS!)

For example, when you open an account you have to put £10 on it - this
is used to pay for services or whatever when you are not 'in-bundle.'
You can set an auto top-up on this if you wish - mine will add £10 to my
account balance when the balance hits or goes below £3. If another GG
user introduces you when you sign up (i.e. gets the SIM for you) you
both get £5 credit.

If you go down the bundle route (GG call them Goodybags) you can set it
up to buy a new bundle every month on a rate of your choice, and you can
switch on/off or change the auto renewal value as you wish. I pay £10
for 19GB (plus 1GB free as a long served customer) - all calls and texts
are free. They send you a text each month 48hrs before your bundle
expires to show you your usage this month and to give you time to change
the value of your renewal and they send a text after the bundle has been
renewed. Also when you make a top-up of <any> sort you get three months
free calls to any other GG user which is a good deal if you need to keep
in contact with SWMBO (also on GG) and you are not running a bundle.
Bundles include 5G but strangely not wi-fi calling (at least not as yet.)

There are several monthly bundles from £6(?) upwards including data only
versions.

Finally, GG still operate European calls as before Brexit (i.e. from
your bundle just as if you were in the UK) the only thing to watch being
they limit the amount of data you can use.

Re: Pay As You Go SIM Card Expiry: Minimum Usage Requirements To Stay Active

<urrvmi$14a5v$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15035&group=uk.telecom.mobile#15035

From: usenet.t...@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Requirements To Stay Active
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 07:21:54 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:U8w1l4cHodQASPKaJHBL3ZGSXVA=
 by: Tweed - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 07:21 UTC

Woody <harrogate3@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> On Thu 29/02/2024 20:15, Ottavio Caruso wrote:
>> Am 29/02/2024 um 16:02 schrieb Martin Nicholas:
>>> Useful roundup:
>>> https://kenstechtips.com/index.php/payg-inactivity-account-termination-and-credit-expiry
>>>

>> Thanks. I need to find a replacement for Asda Mobile.
>>

> As others (and the link above) all say, GiffGaff is consistently rated
> as the best SIM only/PAYG offer. The good bit is that whilst there is a
> human (emailed) support system available if you get stuck, everything
> else you do yourself on line. That includes top up and/or switching
> functions on and off. (GG was once openly named in an episode of NCIS!)
>
> For example, when you open an account you have to put £10 on it - this
> is used to pay for services or whatever when you are not 'in-bundle.'
> You can set an auto top-up on this if you wish - mine will add £10 to my
> account balance when the balance hits or goes below £3. If another GG
> user introduces you when you sign up (i.e. gets the SIM for you) you
> both get £5 credit.
>
> If you go down the bundle route (GG call them Goodybags) you can set it
> up to buy a new bundle every month on a rate of your choice, and you can
> switch on/off or change the auto renewal value as you wish. I pay £10
> for 19GB (plus 1GB free as a long served customer) - all calls and texts
> are free. They send you a text each month 48hrs before your bundle
> expires to show you your usage this month and to give you time to change
> the value of your renewal and they send a text after the bundle has been
> renewed. Also when you make a top-up of <any> sort you get three months
> free calls to any other GG user which is a good deal if you need to keep
> in contact with SWMBO (also on GG) and you are not running a bundle.
> Bundles include 5G but strangely not wi-fi calling (at least not as yet.)
>
> There are several monthly bundles from £6(?) upwards including data only
> versions.
>
> Finally, GG still operate European calls as before Brexit (i.e. from
> your bundle just as if you were in the UK) the only thing to watch being
> they limit the amount of data you can use.

Does GG support VoLTE and WiFi calling yet?

Re: Pay As You Go SIM Card Expiry: Minimum Usage Requirements To Stay Active

<urs1d5$14k1i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15036&group=uk.telecom.mobile#15036

From: dav...@dave123royal.com (Dave Royal)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Stay Active
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 07:51:00 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Dave Royal - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 07:51 UTC

Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> Wrote in message:

> Woody <harrogate3@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>>>>

>>> Thanks. I need to find a replacement for Asda Mobile.
>>>

>> As others (and the link above) all say, GiffGaff is consistently rated
>> as the best SIM only/PAYG offer. The good bit is that whilst there is a
>> human (emailed) support system available if you get stuck, everything
>> else you do yourself on line. That includes top up and/or switching
>> functions on and off. (GG was once openly named in an episode of NCIS!)
>>
>> For example, when you open an account you have to put £10 on it - this
>> is used to pay for services or whatever when you are not 'in-bundle.'
>> You can set an auto top-up on this if you wish - mine will add £10 to my
>> account balance when the balance hits or goes below £3. If another GG
>> user introduces you when you sign up (i.e. gets the SIM for you) you
>> both get £5 credit.
>>
>> If you go down the bundle route (GG call them Goodybags) you can set it
>> up to buy a new bundle every month on a rate of your choice, and you can
>> switch on/off or change the auto renewal value as you wish. I pay £10
>> for 19GB (plus 1GB free as a long served customer) - all calls and texts
>> are free. They send you a text each month 48hrs before your bundle
>> expires to show you your usage this month and to give you time to change
>> the value of your renewal and they send a text after the bundle has been
>> renewed. Also when you make a top-up of <any> sort you get three months
>> free calls to any other GG user which is a good deal if you need to keep
>> in contact with SWMBO (also on GG) and you are not running a bundle.
>> Bundles include 5G but strangely not wi-fi calling (at least not as yet.)
>>
>> There are several monthly bundles from £6(?) upwards including data only
>> versions.
>>
>> Finally, GG still operate European calls as before Brexit (i.e. from
>> your bundle just as if you were in the UK) the only thing to watch being
>> they limit the amount of data you can use.
>>

> Does GG support VoLTE and WiFi calling yet?

They didn't as of last month. (They do now offer eSIMs.)

I changed fron GG to ASDA mobile last month - cheaper for small
data bundles. Seems OK so far. That has wifi calling, but I found
the call quality is better if I switch it off.

(iPhone 8, network = auto = ASDA mobile.)
--
Remove numerics from my email address.

Re: Pay As You Go SIM Card Expiry: Minimum Usage Requirements To Stay Active

<urs1jh$14l1d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15037&group=uk.telecom.mobile#15037

From: dav...@dave123royal.com (Dave Royal)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Stay Active
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 07:54:24 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Dave Royal - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 07:54 UTC

Dave Royal <dave@dave123royal.com> Wrote in message:

> Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> Wrote in message:
>
>> Does GG support VoLTE and WiFi calling yet?
>
> They didn't as of last month. (They do now offer eSIMs.)
>
> I changed fron GG to ASDA mobile last month - cheaper for small
> data bundles. Seems OK so far. That has wifi calling, but I found
> the call quality is better if I switch it off.
>
> (iPhone 8, network = auto = ASDA mobile.)

Didn't support wifi calling, I meant.
--
Remove numerics from my email address.

Re: Pay As You Go SIM Card Expiry: Minimum Usage Requirements To Stay Active

<urs4a1$155kj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15038&group=uk.telecom.mobile#15038

From: usenet.t...@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Requirements To Stay Active
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 08:40:33 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:RxWSf4CUEjmMotiWSc+Y58yZ870=
 by: Tweed - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 08:40 UTC

Dave Royal <dave@dave123royal.com> wrote:
> Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> Wrote in message:
>
>> Woody <harrogate3@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>>> As others (and the link above) all say, GiffGaff is consistently rated
>>> as the best SIM only/PAYG offer. The good bit is that whilst there is a
>>> human (emailed) support system available if you get stuck, everything
>>> else you do yourself on line. That includes top up and/or switching
>>> functions on and off. (GG was once openly named in an episode of NCIS!)
>>>
>>> For example, when you open an account you have to put £10 on it - this
>>> is used to pay for services or whatever when you are not 'in-bundle.'
>>> You can set an auto top-up on this if you wish - mine will add £10 to my
>>> account balance when the balance hits or goes below £3. If another GG
>>> user introduces you when you sign up (i.e. gets the SIM for you) you
>>> both get £5 credit.
>>>
>>> If you go down the bundle route (GG call them Goodybags) you can set it
>>> up to buy a new bundle every month on a rate of your choice, and you can
>>> switch on/off or change the auto renewal value as you wish. I pay £10
>>> for 19GB (plus 1GB free as a long served customer) - all calls and texts
>>> are free. They send you a text each month 48hrs before your bundle
>>> expires to show you your usage this month and to give you time to change
>>> the value of your renewal and they send a text after the bundle has been
>>> renewed. Also when you make a top-up of <any> sort you get three months
>>> free calls to any other GG user which is a good deal if you need to keep
>>> in contact with SWMBO (also on GG) and you are not running a bundle.
>>> Bundles include 5G but strangely not wi-fi calling (at least not as yet.)
>>>
>>> There are several monthly bundles from £6(?) upwards including data only
>>> versions.
>>>
>>> Finally, GG still operate European calls as before Brexit (i.e. from
>>> your bundle just as if you were in the UK) the only thing to watch being
>>> they limit the amount of data you can use.
>>>

>> Does GG support VoLTE and WiFi calling yet?
>
> They didn't as of last month. (They do now offer eSIMs.)
>
> I changed fron GG to ASDA mobile last month - cheaper for small
> data bundles. Seems OK so far. That has wifi calling, but I found
> the call quality is better if I switch it off.
>
> (iPhone 8, network = auto = ASDA mobile.)

That’s strange. I regularly have iPhone to iPhone calls, one being on
Vodafone cellular, me being on Vodafone WiFi calling. The call quality is
always excellent, other than when the other end drives though an area of
poor reception. I am contracted to Vodafone directly though.

Spusu seem to be gaining a good reputation

https://www.simsherpa.com/networks/spusu/review-and-guide

Full use of the EE network and 10Gb of European roaming. VoLTE and WiFi
calling apparently work.

GiffGaff seems to attract an almost evangelical religious loyalty from
some, which I find vaguely odd.

Re: Pay As You Go SIM Card Expiry: Minimum Usage Requirements To Stay Active

<l4djtfFlhuvU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15039&group=uk.telecom.mobile#15039

From: mar...@invalid.com (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Active
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 09:02:39 +0000
 by: Mark Carver - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 09:02 UTC

On 01/03/2024 08:40, Tweed wrote:

> Spusu seem to be gaining a good reputation
>
> https://www.simsherpa.com/networks/spusu/review-and-guide
>
> Full use of the EE network and 10Gb of European roaming. VoLTE and WiFi
> calling apparently work.

I've never heard of them until now. I'm trying out 1p Mobile on Mrs C's
phone at present. I'm pleased with them, (also a full fat EE network user)

> GiffGaff seems to attract an almost evangelical religious loyalty from
> some, which I find vaguely odd.

+1

Re: Pay As You Go SIM Card Expiry: Minimum Usage Requirements To Stay Active

<3ih8bk-uj6p1.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15040&group=uk.telecom.mobile#15040

From: cl...@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Subject: Re: Pay As You Go SIM Card Expiry: Minimum Usage Requirements To Stay Active
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 08:51:47 +0000
 by: Chris Green - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 08:51 UTC

Woody <harrogate3@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> On Thu 29/02/2024 20:15, Ottavio Caruso wrote:
> > Am 29/02/2024 um 16:02 schrieb Martin Nicholas:
> >> Useful roundup:
> >> https://kenstechtips.com/index.php/payg-inactivity-account-termination-and-credit-expiry
> >>

> > Thanks. I need to find a replacement for Asda Mobile.
> >

> As others (and the link above) all say, GiffGaff is consistently rated
> as the best SIM only/PAYG offer. The good bit is that whilst there is a
> human (emailed) support system available if you get stuck, everything
> else you do yourself on line. That includes top up and/or switching
> functions on and off. (GG was once openly named in an episode of NCIS!)
>
> For example, when you open an account you have to put £10 on it - this
> is used to pay for services or whatever when you are not 'in-bundle.'
> You can set an auto top-up on this if you wish - mine will add £10 to my
> account balance when the balance hits or goes below £3. If another GG
> user introduces you when you sign up (i.e. gets the SIM for you) you
> both get £5 credit.
>
> If you go down the bundle route (GG call them Goodybags) you can set it
> up to buy a new bundle every month on a rate of your choice, and you can
> switch on/off or change the auto renewal value as you wish. I pay £10
> for 19GB (plus 1GB free as a long served customer) - all calls and texts
> are free. They send you a text each month 48hrs before your bundle
> expires to show you your usage this month and to give you time to change
> the value of your renewal and they send a text after the bundle has been
> renewed. Also when you make a top-up of <any> sort you get three months
> free calls to any other GG user which is a good deal if you need to keep
> in contact with SWMBO (also on GG) and you are not running a bundle.
> Bundles include 5G but strangely not wi-fi calling (at least not as yet.)
>
> There are several monthly bundles from £6(?) upwards including data only
> versions.
>
> Finally, GG still operate European calls as before Brexit (i.e. from
> your bundle just as if you were in the UK) the only thing to watch being
> they limit the amount of data you can use.

For lower usage I think idMobile probably works better than GG, one
needs to work out if GG's bundles are 'too much' and if they are then
idMobile may work better. idMobile also operate roaming in Europe
much the same as GG.

--
Chris Green
·

Re: Pay As You Go SIM Card Expiry: Minimum Usage Requirements To Stay Active

<urs5vl$15bqe$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15041&group=uk.telecom.mobile#15041

From: fre...@fred-smith.co.uk (Abandoned Trolley)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Active
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 09:09:11 +0000
 by: Abandoned Trolley - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 09:09 UTC

> GiffGaff seems to attract an almost evangelical religious loyalty from
> some, which I find vaguely odd.

Whereas an obsession with the subject generally would be perfectly
"normal" ?

Has any GG customer in here managed to access a free 02 WiFi hotspot ?
- I have never managed to get it work

Re: Pay As You Go SIM Card Expiry: Minimum Usage Requirements To Stay Active

<urs6am$15ide$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15042&group=uk.telecom.mobile#15042

From: dav...@dave123royal.com (Dave Royal)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Stay Active
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 09:15:00 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Dave Royal - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 09:15 UTC

Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> Wrote in message:

> GiffGaff seems to attract an almost evangelical religious loyalty from
> some, which I find vaguely odd.

I blame their incentive schemes - everybody is trying to recruit
new users. It certainly makes their 'community' forum an
unpleasant experience.

But technically it's OK.
--
Remove numerics from my email address.

Re: Pay As You Go SIM Card Expiry: Minimum Usage Requirements To Stay Active

<urs79r$15oqi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15043&group=uk.telecom.mobile#15043

From: usenet.t...@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Requirements To Stay Active
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 09:31:39 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:oah7rpPOxquxZBINO2vyEyvVueM=
 by: Tweed - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 09:31 UTC

Dave Royal <dave@dave123royal.com> wrote:
> Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> Wrote in message:
>

>> GiffGaff seems to attract an almost evangelical religious loyalty from
>> some, which I find vaguely odd.
>
> I blame their incentive schemes - everybody is trying to recruit
> new users. It certainly makes their 'community' forum an
> unpleasant experience.
>
> But technically it's OK.

Is it still technically ok? The problem with any network using o2 is that
o2 now has many more users per Hz of spectrum than any of the other
networks. It was creaking before Virgin Media’s user base was recently
added. Now o2 supports GiffGaff, Sky, Tesco and VM customers, all of which
are fairly large in number of customers. The various independent network
tests (yes, you can argue with the methodology of some of them) now
routinely place o2 last.

Re: Pay As You Go SIM Card Expiry: Minimum Usage Requirements To Stay Active

<l4dm87FlhuuU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15044&group=uk.telecom.mobile#15044

From: mar...@invalid.com (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Active
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 09:42:31 +0000
 by: Mark Carver - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 09:42 UTC

On 01/03/2024 09:31, Tweed wrote:
> Dave Royal <dave@dave123royal.com> wrote:
>> Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> Wrote in message:
>>

>>> GiffGaff seems to attract an almost evangelical religious loyalty from
>>> some, which I find vaguely odd.
>>
>> I blame their incentive schemes - everybody is trying to recruit
>> new users. It certainly makes their 'community' forum an
>> unpleasant experience.
>>
>> But technically it's OK.
>
> Is it still technically ok? The problem with any network using o2 is that
> o2 now has many more users per Hz of spectrum than any of the other
> networks. It was creaking before Virgin Media’s user base was recently
> added. Now o2 supports GiffGaff, Sky, Tesco and VM customers, all of which
> are fairly large in number of customers. The various independent network
> tests (yes, you can argue with the methodology of some of them) now
> routinely place o2 last.

I've tried out all the primary networks over the years with Mrs C, the
only occasions when she's said, 'my signal is often crap' is on O2 proxies.

Re: Pay As You Go SIM Card Expiry: Minimum Usage Requirements To Stay Active

<urs8qj$160e4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15045&group=uk.telecom.mobile#15045

From: fre...@fred-smith.co.uk (Abandoned Trolley)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Active
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 09:57:42 +0000
 by: Abandoned Trolley - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 09:57 UTC

>> But technically it's OK.
>
> Is it still technically ok? The problem with any network using o2 is that
> o2 now has many more users per Hz of spectrum than any of the other
> networks. It was creaking before Virgin Media’s user base was recently
> added. Now o2 supports GiffGaff, Sky, Tesco and VM customers, all of which
> are fairly large in number of customers. The various independent network
> tests (yes, you can argue with the methodology of some of them) now
> routinely place o2 last.

Which might not be relevant without some idea of the average bandwidth
use per customer.

Meanwhile, a lot of low use customers probably think its "technically" OK

Re: Pay As You Go SIM Card Expiry: Minimum Usage Requirements To Stay Active

<ursa9o$16be1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15046&group=uk.telecom.mobile#15046

From: usenet.t...@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Requirements To Stay Active
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 10:22:48 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:BYbkZQdEWe7FLtjnkHU1w3fmkfo=
 by: Tweed - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 10:22 UTC

Abandoned Trolley <fred@fred-smith.co.uk> wrote:

>>> But technically it's OK.
>>
>> Is it still technically ok? The problem with any network using o2 is that
>> o2 now has many more users per Hz of spectrum than any of the other
>> networks. It was creaking before Virgin Media’s user base was recently
>> added. Now o2 supports GiffGaff, Sky, Tesco and VM customers, all of which
>> are fairly large in number of customers. The various independent network
>> tests (yes, you can argue with the methodology of some of them) now
>> routinely place o2 last.
>>

> Which might not be relevant without some idea of the average bandwidth
> use per customer.
>
> Meanwhile, a lot of low use customers probably think its "technically" OK

With a very large number of users on each of the 4 networks is it likely
that the average behaviour of the users on one network is going to be
significantly different?

Re: Pay As You Go SIM Card Expiry: Minimum Usage Requirements To Stay Active

<l4dp9cFlhuvU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15047&group=uk.telecom.mobile#15047

From: mar...@invalid.com (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Active
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 10:34:20 +0000
 by: Mark Carver - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 10:34 UTC

On 01/03/2024 10:22, Tweed wrote:

>>> Is it still technically ok? The problem with any network using o2 is that
>>> o2 now has many more users per Hz of spectrum than any of the other
>>> networks. It was creaking before Virgin Media’s user base was recently
>>> added. Now o2 supports GiffGaff, Sky, Tesco and VM customers, all of which
>>> are fairly large in number of customers. The various independent network
>>> tests (yes, you can argue with the methodology of some of them) now
>>> routinely place o2 last.
>>>

>> Which might not be relevant without some idea of the average bandwidth
>> use per customer.
>>
>> Meanwhile, a lot of low use customers probably think its "technically" OK
>>

> With a very large number of users on each of the 4 networks is it likely
> that the average behaviour of the users on one network is going to be
> significantly different?

Not that long ago (less than 10 years I think ?) the majority of O2's
customer base were still 'dumb' phone users ?

Re: Pay As You Go SIM Card Expiry: Minimum Usage Requirements To Stay Active

<ursba1$16he9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15048&group=uk.telecom.mobile#15048

From: fre...@fred-smith.co.uk (Abandoned Trolley)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Active
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 10:40:02 +0000
 by: Abandoned Trolley - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 10:40 UTC

>>> Is it still technically ok? The problem with any network using o2 is that
>>> o2 now has many more users per Hz of spectrum than any of the other
>>> networks. It was creaking before Virgin Media’s user base was recently
>>> added. Now o2 supports GiffGaff, Sky, Tesco and VM customers, all of which
>>> are fairly large in number of customers. The various independent network
>>> tests (yes, you can argue with the methodology of some of them) now
>>> routinely place o2 last.
>>>

>> Which might not be relevant without some idea of the average bandwidth
>> use per customer.
>>
>> Meanwhile, a lot of low use customers probably think its "technically" OK
>>

> With a very large number of users on each of the 4 networks is it likely
> that the average behaviour of the users on one network is going to be
> significantly different?

Its likely that certain tariffs attract low use customers.

Long ago and far away, I used to work on the "One 2 One" network (before
it was taken over by T-Mobile)

At the time, 121 hosted the Virgin VN and during the routine briefings
on network performance, it was noted that reported customer satisfaction
among Virgin users was significantly and regularly higher than "normal"
121 users.

There were CSTR records and reams of other statistics to back up these
findings, so it wasn’t subjective.

No logical explanation was ever found for this apparent anomaly,
although a good few theories were thrown about and as far as I know it
remains a mystery to this day.

Also, while I was working at Orange in 1996 a somebody in the office was
working on some call duration profile data, while trying to solve a
related problem. I have no idea if the "problem" was ever solved.

Re: Pay As You Go SIM Card Expiry: Minimum Usage Requirements To Stay Active

<xuh*FXgEz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15049&group=uk.telecom.mobile#15049

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: 01 Mar 2024 10:44:15 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 10:44 UTC

Dave Royal <dave@dave123royal.com> wrote:
> Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> Wrote in message:
>

> > GiffGaff seems to attract an almost evangelical religious loyalty from
> > some, which I find vaguely odd.
>
> I blame their incentive schemes - everybody is trying to recruit
> new users. It certainly makes their 'community' forum an
> unpleasant experience.

I joined on day one. The problem at the time was that there was no access
to support people who could look at your account. You had to post to the
forum and hope that an admin would spot your post and be able to look into
it. Meanwhile the post attracted a swarm of (they seemed to be) kids who
begged you to 'like' their unhelpful replies because they got paid for
'helping' customers.

They did a big advertising push as 'the mobile network run by you' and
solicited suggestions from the community then seemingly ignored them all -
they turned into just another mobile network.

A quick look at the forum suggests it's better - while there's still a few
posters replying to every post, the begging for Likes seems to have subsided
and there's now a way to message support directly rather than posting to the
forum.

Theo

Re: Pay As You Go SIM Card Expiry: Minimum Usage Requirements To Stay Active

<urscl0$16qh9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15051&group=uk.telecom.mobile#15051

From: usenet.t...@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Requirements To Stay Active
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 11:02:56 -0000 (UTC)
<ursba1$16he9$1@dont-email.me>
sha1:5YAB5nvB6LIvLHUVV1/aLDGg9n8=
 by: Tweed - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 11:02 UTC

Abandoned Trolley <fred@fred-smith.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Which might not be relevant without some idea of the average bandwidth
>>> use per customer.
>>>
>>> Meanwhile, a lot of low use customers probably think its "technically" OK
>>>

>> With a very large number of users on each of the 4 networks is it likely
>> that the average behaviour of the users on one network is going to be
>> significantly different?
>>

> Its likely that certain tariffs attract low use customers.
>
> Long ago and far away, I used to work on the "One 2 One" network (before
> it was taken over by T-Mobile)
>
> At the time, 121 hosted the Virgin VN and during the routine briefings
> on network performance, it was noted that reported customer satisfaction
> among Virgin users was significantly and regularly higher than "normal"
> 121 users.
>
> There were CSTR records and reams of other statistics to back up these
> findings, so it wasn’t subjective.
>
> No logical explanation was ever found for this apparent anomaly,
> although a good few theories were thrown about and as far as I know it
> remains a mystery to this day.
>

> Also, while I was working at Orange in 1996 a somebody in the office was
> working on some call duration profile data, while trying to solve a
> related problem. I have no idea if the "problem" was ever solved.

My guess is that’s down to marketing of the Virgin brand. In the earlier
days of that brand Branson could do no wrong and was portrayed as a rebel
sticking it to the establishment. He managed to generate some sort of
alternative reality around anything with the Virgin brand. Of late the
brand had become somewhat tired and discredited.

Re: Pay As You Go SIM Card Expiry: Minimum Usage Requirements To Stay Active

<kkd3uihh38l35ahv4t29dsktn1e5isfbbd@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15052&group=uk.telecom.mobile#15052

From: chr...@cdixon.me.uk (Chris J Dixon)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2024 11:09:44 +0000
 by: Chris J Dixon - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 11:09 UTC

Martin Nicholas wrote:

>Useful roundup:
>https://kenstechtips.com/index.php/payg-inactivity-account-termination-and-credit-expiry

These days there are some very competitive deals through MSE for
rolling contracts.

<https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cheap-mobile-finder/sim-only-filters/>

Lebara is working well for me.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
chris@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.

Re: Pay As You Go SIM Card Expiry: Minimum Usage Requirements To Stay Active

<ursd8r$16sfb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15053&group=uk.telecom.mobile#15053

From: fre...@fred-smith.co.uk (Abandoned Trolley)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Active
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 11:13:34 +0000
 by: Abandoned Trolley - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 11:13 UTC

lated problem. I have no idea if the "problem" was ever solved.

> My guess is that’s down to marketing of the Virgin brand. In the earlier
> days of that brand Branson could do no wrong and was portrayed as a rebel
> sticking it to the establishment. He managed to generate some sort of
> alternative reality around anything with the Virgin brand. Of late the
> brand had become somewhat tired and discredited.

My guess is that no amount of marketing hype would be able to manipulate
the CSTR data, but its not the least plasible theory that I have heard.

Re: Pay As You Go SIM Card Expiry: Minimum Usage Requirements To Stay Active

<ursihr$17ncc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15054&group=uk.telecom.mobile#15054

From: dav...@dave123royal.com (Dave Royal)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Active
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 12:43:39 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dave Royal - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 12:43 UTC

On Fri, 01 Mar 2024 10:44:15 +0000, Theo wrote:

> Dave Royal <dave@dave123royal.com> wrote:
>> Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> Wrote in message:
>>

>> > GiffGaff seems to attract an almost evangelical religious loyalty
>> > from some, which I find vaguely odd.
>>
>> I blame their incentive schemes - everybody is trying to recruit
>> new users. It certainly makes their 'community' forum an unpleasant
>> experience.
>
> I joined on day one. The problem at the time was that there was no
> access to support people who could look at your account. You had to
> post to the forum and hope that an admin would spot your post and be
> able to look into it. Meanwhile the post attracted a swarm of (they
> seemed to be) kids who begged you to 'like' their unhelpful replies
> because they got paid for 'helping' customers.
>
> They did a big advertising push as 'the mobile network run by you' and
> solicited suggestions from the community then seemingly ignored them all
> - they turned into just another mobile network.
>
> A quick look at the forum suggests it's better - while there's still a
> few posters replying to every post, the begging for Likes seems to have
> subsided and there's now a way to message support directly rather than
> posting to the forum.
>
> Theo

When I got a new SIM a couple of months ago (I transferred the number from
3 mobile's 3-2-1) I queried why 1 penny had been debited from my initial
topup. (Searching, I found others had experienced the same.) I disagreed
with all the answers but they accepted one of them on my behalf (which was
definitely wrong) and closed the question.
--
(Remove any numerics from my email address.)

Re: Pay As You Go SIM Card Expiry: Minimum Usage Requirements To Stay Active

<uuh*vphEz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15055&group=uk.telecom.mobile#15055

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: 01 Mar 2024 12:51:32 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 12:51 UTC

Dave Royal <dave@dave123royal.com> wrote:
> When I got a new SIM a couple of months ago (I transferred the number from
> 3 mobile's 3-2-1) I queried why 1 penny had been debited from my initial
> topup. (Searching, I found others had experienced the same.) I disagreed
> with all the answers but they accepted one of them on my behalf (which was
> definitely wrong) and closed the question.

Wow, such a long list of unhelpful answers:
https://community.giffgaff.com/all?q=penny