I am what you will be; I was what you are.

aus+uk / uk.rec.motorcycles / Re: FOAK - Hard Disk Drive longeivity

SubjectAuthor
* FOAK - Hard Disk Drive longeivityStephen Packer
+- FOAK - Hard Disk Drive longeivityogden
+* FOAK - Hard Disk Drive longeivitywessie
|+* FOAK - Hard Disk Drive longeivityStephen Packer
||+* FOAK - Hard Disk Drive longeivitywessie
|||`* FOAK - Hard Disk Drive longeivityPete Fisher
||| `* FOAK - Hard Disk Drive longeivityMike Fleming
|||  +* FOAK - Hard Disk Drive longeivityPete Fisher
|||  |`* FOAK - Hard Disk Drive longeivitywessie
|||  | +* FOAK - Hard Disk Drive longeivityTurby
|||  | |`* FOAK - Hard Disk Drive longeivityjeremy
|||  | | `- FOAK - Hard Disk Drive longeivityRustyHinge
|||  | `- FOAK - Hard Disk Drive longeivityPipl
|||  `* FOAK - Hard Disk Drive longeivityChamp
|||   `* FOAK - Hard Disk Drive longeivityPete Fisher
|||    `* FOAK - Hard Disk Drive longeivityRustyHinge
|||     `* FOAK - Hard Disk Drive longeivityMark Olson
|||      `* FOAK - Hard Disk Drive longeivityRustyHinge
|||       +* FOAK - Hard Disk Drive longeivitychrisnd @ukrm
|||       |`- FOAK - Hard Disk Drive longeivityPaul Carmichael
|||       `- FOAK - Hard Disk Drive longeivityPipl
||`- FOAK - Hard Disk Drive longeivityPete Fisher
|`- FOAK - Hard Disk Drive longeivityAndy Burns
+- FOAK - Hard Disk Drive longeivityGeoffC
+- FOAK - Hard Disk Drive longeivityYTC#1
+* FOAK - Hard Disk Drive longeivityBruce Horrocks
|+* FOAK - Hard Disk Drive longeivityogden
||+- FOAK - Hard Disk Drive longeivitysiwilson
||`- FOAK - Hard Disk Drive longeivityBruce Horrocks
|`* FOAK - Hard Disk Drive longeivitysiwilson
| `- FOAK - Hard Disk Drive longeivityBruce Horrocks
+* FOAK - Hard Disk Drive longeivityBoots
|`- FOAK - Hard Disk Drive longeivityjeremy
+- FOAK - Hard Disk Drive longeivityChamp
`- FOAK - Hard Disk Drive longeivityStephen Packer

Pages:12
Re: FOAK - Hard Disk Drive longeivity

<prjpvhpf39he17u73dn1gi9mak2683sb85@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15323&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#15323

From: nea...@champ.org.uk (Champ)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: Re: FOAK - Hard Disk Drive longeivity
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2023 15:43:19 +0000
 by: Champ - Mon, 27 Feb 2023 15:43 UTC

On Fri, 24 Feb 2023 15:52:58 +0000, Mike Fleming <mike@tauzero.co.uk>
wrote:

>> Lots of such kit thrown out before the move, but the just recently
>> enhanced insulation and high standard flooring loft is going to be a
>> strong impetus towards the 'stuff expands' trap. SWMBO is the main
>> offender in that department though. Who needs four different rucksacks,
>> five varieties of walking/climbing boot and two sets of crampons?

Any serious walker/climber!

>For heaven's sake, man, the next thing you'll be saying is "who needs
>more than one bike, or more than one guitar?". Where will the madness end?

*exactly*
--
Champ
neal at champ dot org dot uk

I don't know, but I been told
You never slow down, you never grow old

Re: FOAK - Hard Disk Drive longeivity

<t4kpvhl3nj1afvk4oj78t9oft3fh3sf2rf@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15324&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#15324

From: nea...@champ.org.uk (Champ)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2023 15:50:46 +0000
 by: Champ - Mon, 27 Feb 2023 15:50 UTC

On Fri, 24 Feb 2023 04:06:27 -0800 (PST), Stephen Packer
<stephen.packer@gmail.com> wrote:

>Some of the data is also 'in the cloud' but not all of it. (backup is Apple's time machine, cloud is
>iCloud, but not the photos since there are too many of them/I'm not willing to pay the
>monthly price).

It may be that I've got a lot less data that you, but I have most
stuff in the cloud nowadays. I pay Microsoft 1.99 a month for 100GB.
I like having it accessible from anywhere, and literally not worrying
about the subject of this thread.

I don't keep media in the cloud, but all my music and films (that I
care about) are on the original media anyway
--
Champ
neal at champ dot org dot uk

I don't know, but I been told
You never slow down, you never grow old

Re: FOAK - Hard Disk Drive longeivity

<k643lgFeqalU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15329&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#15329

From: pet...@ps-fisher.demon.co.uk (Pete Fisher)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2023 16:22:09 +0000
 by: Pete Fisher - Mon, 27 Feb 2023 16:22 UTC

On 27/02/2023 15:43, Champ wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Feb 2023 15:52:58 +0000, Mike Fleming <mike@tauzero.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
>>> Lots of such kit thrown out before the move, but the just recently
>>> enhanced insulation and high standard flooring loft is going to be a
>>> strong impetus towards the 'stuff expands' trap. SWMBO is the main
>>> offender in that department though. Who needs four different rucksacks,
>>> five varieties of walking/climbing boot and two sets of crampons?
>
> Any serious walker/climber!

She certainly used to be as serious a walker/climber, as I was a
motorcycle 'racer'. Not so much these days. I still have my one piece
leathers TBF, though I can't see me ever needing them again.

>> For heaven's sake, man, the next thing you'll be saying is "who needs
>> more than one bike, or more than one guitar?". Where will the madness end?
>
> *exactly*

Already conceded. Down to just a two guitar and one mandolin household
though.
--
Moto Morini 2C/375
Gilera 175 Sport, Husqvarna 401 Svartpilen

Re: FOAK - Hard Disk Drive longeivity

<ttiod0$3afhq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15330&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#15330

From: rusty.hi...@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2023 17:14:08 +0000
 by: RustyHinge - Mon, 27 Feb 2023 17:14 UTC

On 27/02/2023 16:22, Pete Fisher wrote:
> On 27/02/2023 15:43, Champ wrote:

>> Any serious walker/climber!
>>

> She certainly used to be as serious a walker/climber, as I was a
> motorcycle 'racer'. Not so much these days. I still have my one piece
> leathers TBF, though I can't see me ever needing them again.
>

>>> For heaven's sake, man, the next thing you'll be saying is "who needs
>>> more than one bike, or more than one guitar?". Where will the madness
>>> end?
>>
>> *exactly*
>
> Already conceded. Down to just a two guitar and one mandolin household
> though.

And all I have is one clarsach, one harmonica and an autoharp with a
broken string. Come to think of it, I might have a recorder, and there's
a 'project' baritone saxehorn. Brass squeezebulb motor-horn doesn't
count, I suppose.

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: FOAK - Hard Disk Drive longeivity

<ttivrv$3b7ct$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15331&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#15331

From: ols...@tiny.invalid (Mark Olson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2023 19:21:35 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mark Olson - Mon, 27 Feb 2023 19:21 UTC

RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:

> And all I have is one clarsach, one harmonica and an autoharp with a
> broken string. Come to think of it, I might have a recorder, and there's
> a 'project' baritone saxehorn. Brass squeezebulb motor-horn doesn't
> count, I suppose.

You play(ed) a bari? My favorite horn. Used to have the use of one
(a Selmer Mark VI, no less) in high school. I kept it after graduation
and played in a big 18 piece band, mostly weddings, etc. Finally had
to give it back so another lucky student could have a go.

Now I've just got my 1968 vintage Mark VI alto. Haven't played it
for many years. :( Both my sons played woodwinds (#1, alto sax,
#2, clarinet + bass clarinet) but neither one has expressed any
interest. They can fight over it after I'm gone.

--
FJR1300A, GL1000, KLR650A6F, EX250J9A, DR200SE, Vespa Ciao

Re: FOAK - Hard Disk Drive longeivity

<ttk5sh$3hjfj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15332&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#15332

From: rusty.hi...@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2023 06:10:25 +0000
 by: RustyHinge - Tue, 28 Feb 2023 06:10 UTC

On 27/02/2023 19:21, Mark Olson wrote:
> RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> And all I have is one clarsach, one harmonica and an autoharp with a
>> broken string. Come to think of it, I might have a recorder, and there's
>> a 'project' baritone saxehorn. Brass squeezebulb motor-horn doesn't
>> count, I suppose.
>
> You play(ed) a bari? My favorite horn. Used to have the use of one
> (a Selmer Mark VI, no less) in high school. I kept it after graduation
> and played in a big 18 piece band, mostly weddings, etc. Finally had
> to give it back so another lucky student could have a go.
>
> Now I've just got my 1968 vintage Mark VI alto. Haven't played it
> for many years. :( Both my sons played woodwinds (#1, alto sax,
> #2, clarinet + bass clarinet) but neither one has expressed any
> interest. They can fight over it after I'm gone.

I was just freeing the tuning loop and tidying-up the horn when I had
the heart-attack, so it hangs above the kitchen door ATM, waiting. Then
I had a stroke and it's still waiting.

Should I recover enough and live long enough, I still intend to *learn*
to play it properly.

I found a really nice flute in a junk-shop and gave it to a local school
(where it featured in a concert a few weeks later) and the horn will
probably end-up there too. The (new) mouthpiece cost me more than the
horn...

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: FOAK - Hard Disk Drive longeivity

<k6626uFokttU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15336&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#15336

From: chri...@privacy.net (chrisnd @ukrm)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2023 10:09:34 +0000
 by: chrisnd @ukrm - Tue, 28 Feb 2023 10:09 UTC

On 28/02/2023 06:10, RustyHinge wrote:
> On 27/02/2023 19:21, Mark Olson wrote:
>> RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> And all I have is one clarsach, one harmonica and an autoharp with a
>>> broken string. Come to think of it, I might have a recorder, and there's
>>> a 'project' baritone saxehorn. Brass squeezebulb motor-horn doesn't
>>> count, I suppose.
>>
>> You play(ed) a bari? My favorite horn. Used to have the use of one
>> (a Selmer Mark VI, no less) in high school. I kept it after graduation
>> and played in a big 18 piece band, mostly weddings, etc.  Finally had
>> to give it back so another lucky student could have a go.
>>
>> Now I've just got my 1968 vintage Mark VI alto. Haven't played it
>> for many years. :( Both my sons played woodwinds (#1, alto sax,
>> #2, clarinet + bass clarinet) but neither one has expressed any
>> interest. They can fight over it after I'm gone.
>
> I was just freeing the tuning loop and tidying-up the horn when I had
> the heart-attack, so it hangs above the kitchen door ATM, waiting. Then
> I had a stroke and it's still waiting.
>
> Should I recover enough and live long enough, I still intend to *learn*
> to play it properly.

Good for you.
The older I've got, the more determined I am to keep learning new stuff.

Chris

--
The Deuchars BBB#40 COFF#14
Yamaha XV750SE & Suzuki GS550t

Re: FOAK - Hard Disk Drive longeivity

<nrhvvh5a0d1pvpdj9eh2tqbe8lqgm7bohf@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15382&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#15382

From: plusc...@live.co.uk (Pipl)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2023 21:46:06 +0000
References: <e9309068-344b-4efe-a001-02abc649c58cn@googlegroups.com> <XnsAFB580446120Cwtymmmsas@88.198.57.247> <d29a9f6f-b7ff-456c-994f-de236aa61300n@googlegroups.com> <XnsAFB58D2285A86wtymmmsas@88.198.57.247> <k5s1g4F577rU2@mid.individual.net> <k5s4qrF85vrU1@mid.individual.net> <prjpvhpf39he17u73dn1gi9mak2683sb85@4ax.com> <k643lgFeqalU1@mid.individual.net> <ttiod0$3afhq$1@dont-email.me> <ttivrv$3b7ct$1@dont-email.me> <ttk5sh$3hjfj$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Pipl - Wed, 1 Mar 2023 21:46 UTC

On Tue, 28 Feb 2023 06:10:25 +0000, RustyHinge
<rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:

>On 27/02/2023 19:21, Mark Olson wrote:
>> Now I've just got my 1968 vintage Mark VI alto. Haven't played it
>> for many years. :( Both my sons played woodwinds (#1, alto sax,
>> #2, clarinet + bass clarinet) but neither one has expressed any
>> interest. They can fight over it after I'm gone.
>
>I was just freeing the tuning loop and tidying-up the horn when I had
>the heart-attack, so it hangs above the kitchen door ATM, waiting. Then
>I had a stroke and it's still waiting.

Perhaps there's a Divine Music Lover?

--

-Pip

Re: FOAK - Hard Disk Drive longeivity

<pan$dcc6f$b631229$e51aa5e8$9017b28c@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15458&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#15458

From: wibbleyp...@gmail.com (Paul Carmichael)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: 9 Mar 2023 18:23:53 GMT
 by: Paul Carmichael - Thu, 9 Mar 2023 18:23 UTC

El Tue, 28 Feb 2023 10:09:34 +0000, chrisnd @ukrm escribió:

> The older I've got, the more determined I am to keep learning new stuff.

I can relate to that. 61 now and just gave up Latin (too damned hard) and
have gone back to learning German. Also still trying very hard to become
competent on classical guitar - not good so far.

--
Paul.

https://paulc.es/elpatio

Re: FOAK - Hard Disk Drive longeivity

<89fc0844-4082-4865-8cb3-399bb192f63an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15495&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#15495

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2023 10:36:31 -0700 (PDT)
From: stephen....@gmail.com (Stephen Packer)
 by: Stephen Packer - Thu, 16 Mar 2023 17:36 UTC

On Friday, 24 February 2023 at 12:06:29 UTC, Stephen Packer wrote:
<snip question about disk life/replacement strategy>
>Or, should I change them after, say, five or six years?

And then... just like that... the data drive is flagged as failing. I think it was about 6 years old.

I'd already decided I wanted to mess about with a Synology NAS so all of the data's on there, on
redundant disks, now anyway (possible exception being the 'apple photo' library which contains
all of my photos/scans. The data's certainly there but the meta-data that goes with it, maybe
not. Apple aren't fond of allowing photo libraries to exist on network shares because of the risk
of simultaneous editing by multiple machines (apparently)).

So currently copying the drive to a 'temp' store, shortly to be replaced with a fresh USB connected
SSD. I think.

aus+uk / uk.rec.motorcycles / Re: FOAK - Hard Disk Drive longeivity