I love mankind ... It's people I hate. -- Schulz

aus+uk / aus.computers / Re: Question re mobile reception

SubjectAuthor
* Question re mobile receptionJames Morrison
+* Re: Question re mobile receptionPetzl
|`* Re: Question re mobile receptionJames Morrison
| +* Re: Question re mobile receptionPetzl
| |+* Re: Question re mobile receptionjonz
| ||`* Re: Question re mobile receptionPetzl
| || `- Re: Question re mobile receptionRod Speed
| |+* Re: Question re mobile receptionXeno
| ||`- Re: Question re mobile receptionPetzl
| |+- Re: Question re mobile receptionRod Speed
| |`* Re: Question re mobile receptionClocky
| | `- Re: Question re mobile receptionPetzl
| `- Re: Question re mobile receptionRod Speed
+* Re: Question re mobile receptionTrevor Wilson
|+* Re: Question re mobile receptionMax
||+* Re: Question re mobile receptionTrevor Wilson
|||+- Re: Question re mobile receptionGary R. Schmidt
|||+- Re: Question re mobile receptionJames Morrison
|||+- Re: Question re mobile receptionRod Speed
|||`- Re: Question re mobile receptionRod Speed
||`- Re: Question re mobile receptionRod Speed
|+* Re: Question re mobile receptionjonz
||`* Re: Question re mobile receptionYosemite Sam
|| +* Re: Question re mobile receptionYosemite Sam
|| |`* Re: Question re mobile receptionTrevor Wilson
|| | `* Re: Question re mobile receptionYosemite Sam
|| |  `* Re: Question re mobile receptionComputer Nerd Kev
|| |   `- Re: Question re mobile receptionYosemite Sam
|| +- Re: Question re mobile receptionXeno
|| `- Re: Question re mobile receptionRod Speed
|+- Re: Question re mobile receptionRod Speed
|`* Re: Question re mobile receptionFrank Slootweg
| `* Re: Question re mobile receptionRod Speed
|  `* Re: Question re mobile receptionTrevor Wilson
|   +- Re: Question re mobile receptionFrank Slootweg
|   `* Re: Question re mobile receptionRod Speed
|    `- Re: Question re mobile receptionPetzl
`* Re: Question re mobile receptionRod Speed
 `* Re: Question re mobile receptionJames Morrison
  `* Re: Question re mobile receptionRod Speed
   `* Re: Question re mobile receptionXeno
    `* Re: Question re mobile receptionRod Speed
     `* Re: Question re mobile receptionRod Speed
      `- Re: Question re mobile receptionXeno

Pages:12
Re: Question re mobile reception

<ikmfqbFjtsbU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1391&group=aus.computers#1391

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Subject: Re: Question re mobile reception
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2021 06:06:32 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Wed, 7 Jul 2021 20:06 UTC

"Petzl" <petzlx@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 7 Jul 2021 11:03:08 +1000, James Morrison <nospam@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 07 Jul 2021 08:24:42 +1000
>>Petzl <petzlx@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> If Tesltra provide good coverage in your area go to
>>> https://www.aldimobile.com.au/collections/plans
>>
>>I tried another Tel$tra reseller, but I found the speeds were
>>throttled, and also I need to use the phone as a hotspot at times.
>>Does Aldi have throttled speeds, and can a hotspot be used?

> Aldi had them throttled to 3G but may be 4G now

Yes it is.

> as 3G is discontinued

No it isn't.

> Optus only has 5G

Wrong.

Re: Question re mobile reception

<ikmfu3FjuhpU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1392&group=aus.computers#1392

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2021 06:08:33 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Wed, 7 Jul 2021 20:08 UTC

"Yosemite Sam" <felix@invalid.com> wrote in message
> On 7/07/2021 12:04 pm, jonz wrote:

>>> **Vodafone is the worst cell phone provider in Australia (I have a mate
>>> who used to design cell phone networks and he explained how and why
>>> Vodafone is so bad). Pay the extra and go with Telstra. It's worth it.
>>> Both Vodafone and Optus have screwed me over. Optus was OK, until those
>>> Singaporean cunts took over. I'm sticking with Telstra.
>>
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>
>> Amen to that.....But, i`ve never been with telstra since before the
>> on-line age. Optus for me. (plus Amaysim)
>>

> I would never go with Helstra for anything!

It does have better coverage in a few areas in the country.

Re: Question re mobile reception

<ikmh14Fk5rbU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1396&group=aus.computers#1396

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2021 06:27:14 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Wed, 7 Jul 2021 20:27 UTC

> On Wed, 7 Jul 2021 14:32:04 +1000, jonz <jonz@nothere.com> wrote:
>
>>On 7/7/2021 12:16 PM, Petzl wrote:

>>> Aldi had them throttled to 3G but may be 4G now as 3G is discontinued
>>> Optus only has 5G
>>
>>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>
>> Eh?. Please explain!.
>>
> Aldi use Telstra
> <https://www.telstra.com.au/business-enterprise/news-research/networks/announcements/3g-service-closure>
> https://is.gd/ocJLEK
>
> Amaysim use Optus, in Campbelltown they only have 5G

That's bullshit.

> <https://www.macarthuradvertiser.com.au/story/6672222/5g-technology-arrives-in-campbelltown/>
> https://is.gd/zJh12R

Re: Question re mobile reception

<sc58dq$6un$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1397&group=aus.computers#1397

From: nos...@gmail.com (James Morrison)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2021 08:01:44 +1000
 by: James Morrison - Wed, 7 Jul 2021 22:01 UTC

On Thu, 8 Jul 2021 05:33:04 +1000
"Rod Speed" <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote:

> James Morrison <nospam@gmail.com> wrote
>
> > I am on a Vodagroan plan, no contract.
>
> > Shopping the other day in a Coles Supermarket, no frigging
> > reception at all, or when there was, so slow that I couldn't use
> > the Coles app.
>
> > This is at Wentworth Point (Homebush Bay) in Sydney.
>
> > Wondering if in these circumstances Tel$tra might be a better
> > choice,
>
> Or optus. The optus resellers are generally the best value,
> currently moose is the best value unlimited calls and texts
> and MMSs to any landline or mobile in the country and
> 6GB of data for $10/month. More data for more money.
>
> Amaysim can be better value if you need unlimited calls and
> texts and MMSs to the main international countrys as well.
>
> > or could it maybe just a problem with being inside?
>
> Never seen that with optus.
>
> Its possible the voda tower was down at the time tho.

Might be the concrete & steel inside the building causing the issue?
The shopping centre had free wifi as well, don't know why they bothered
because that was piss weak, and kept dropping out inside Coles.

Woolworths in Newington have their own free wifi if poor mobile
reception. Woolworths more with it in running a business, IMHO.

Re: Question re mobile reception

<sc5et0$adf$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1400&group=aus.computers#1400

From: not...@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2021 23:55:13 +0000 (UTC)
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Wed, 7 Jul 2021 23:55 UTC

Yosemite Sam <felix@invalid.com> wrote:
> On 7/07/2021 1:10 pm, Trevor Wilson wrote:
>>
>> **That has nothing to do with the network. The Telstra network is
>> superior to all others. Their retail outlets, being independent
>> operations, ranges from decent to hopelessly inadequate. Optus is
>> exactly the same. Adequate network (though inferior to Telstra) and
>> decent to hopeless retail outlets. I wouldn't piss on anything
>> Vodafone if it was on fire.
>

> the network may be, but Telstra as a service provider is shit. wait on
> the phone for two hours to get someone who knows nothing to tell you the
> problem is 'at your end'. you can ring AussieBB, at 11:00 pm, as I did
> recently, and talk to a knowledgeable person in seconds.

They don't provide any easy way to report issues either. I
documented in detail the way that their online activation process
was failing for people activating a SIM while using that same SIM
for the internet connection (which is supposed to work on Telstra,
though many other providers don't do it), which was broken for well
over a week and presumably inconveniencing a lot of new customers.

There's no decent place to report something like that - I ended up
posting it to their online chat thing, where the only response I
got was a breif "typing..." and then nothing in the 1/2hr that I
left the page up. Then I sent it to webmaster@telstra.com for the
sake of it. They redid the whole activation system a few weeks
later and the problem was fixed then.

Of course for the ~$2.70/month I'm paying I shouldn't expect much
service, but when you consider the sort of money that most people
pay them and how that problem affected them too...

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: Question re mobile reception

<ikn18eFn1s2U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1404&group=aus.computers#1404

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2021 11:04:10 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Thu, 8 Jul 2021 01:04 UTC

"James Morrison" <nospam@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 8 Jul 2021 05:33:04 +1000
> "Rod Speed" <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> James Morrison <nospam@gmail.com> wrote
>>
>> > I am on a Vodagroan plan, no contract.
>>
>> > Shopping the other day in a Coles Supermarket, no frigging
>> > reception at all, or when there was, so slow that I couldn't use
>> > the Coles app.
>>
>> > This is at Wentworth Point (Homebush Bay) in Sydney.
>>
>> > Wondering if in these circumstances Tel$tra might be a better
>> > choice,
>>
>> Or optus. The optus resellers are generally the best value,
>> currently moose is the best value unlimited calls and texts
>> and MMSs to any landline or mobile in the country and
>> 6GB of data for $10/month. More data for more money.
>>
>> Amaysim can be better value if you need unlimited calls and
>> texts and MMSs to the main international countrys as well.
>>
>> > or could it maybe just a problem with being inside?
>>
>> Never seen that with optus.
>>
>> Its possible the voda tower was down at the time tho.
>
> Might be the concrete & steel inside the building causing the issue?

I have never seen that in a supermarket with my optus network
service and I do use the app in the supermarket quite a bit of
the time, usually to see the aisle something is in.

Mate of mine who lives in a big block of units does have
a problem just when in the lift with the optus network
and didn't when he was using the telstra network.

> The shopping centre had free wifi as well, don't know why they bothered
> because that was piss weak, and kept dropping out inside Coles.

Guess its possible that particular supermarket has an unusual construction.

> Woolworths in Newington have their own free wifi if poor mobile
> reception. Woolworths more with it in running a business, IMHO.

Yeah, their self checkouts are vastly better here than in Coles here.
And you can get electronic receipts with Woolys and not Coles too.
And you can get cashout at the self checkouts in Woolys and not
with Coles too.

Re: Question re mobile reception

<ikn99nFobffU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1412&group=aus.computers#1412

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2021 13:21:26 +1000
 by: Xeno - Thu, 8 Jul 2021 03:21 UTC

On 8/7/21 11:04 am, Rod Speed wrote:

> "James Morrison" <nospam@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 8 Jul 2021 05:33:04 +1000
>> "Rod Speed" <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> James Morrison <nospam@gmail.com> wrote

>>> Or optus. The optus resellers are generally the best value,
>>> currently moose is the best value unlimited calls and texts
>>> and MMSs to any landline or mobile in the country and
>>> 6GB of data for $10/month. More data for more money.
>>>
>>> Amaysim can be better value if you need unlimited calls and
>>> texts and MMSs to the main international countrys as well.

>>> Never seen that with optus.
>>>
>>> Its possible the voda tower was down at the time tho.
>>
>> Might be the concrete & steel inside the building causing the issue?
>
> I have never seen that in a supermarket with my optus network
> service and I do use the app in the supermarket quite a bit of
> the time, usually to see the aisle something is in.
>
> Mate of mine who lives in a big block of units does have
> a problem just when in the lift with the optus network
> and didn't when he was using the telstra network.
>
>> The shopping centre had free wifi as well, don't know why they bothered
>> because that was piss weak, and kept dropping out inside Coles.
>
> Guess its possible that particular supermarket has an unusual construction.
>
>> Woolworths in Newington have their own free wifi if poor mobile
>> reception.  Woolworths more with it in running a business, IMHO.
>
> Yeah, their self checkouts are vastly better here than in Coles here.
> And you can get electronic receipts with Woolys and not Coles too.
> And you can get cashout at the self checkouts in Woolys and not
> with Coles too.

Actually, you can get cashout on the Coles self checkouts, did it just
the other day. It's just not as intuitive a user interface as on the
Woolies checkouts.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: Question re mobile reception

<ikna7sFojmbU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1415&group=aus.computers#1415

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2021 13:37:28 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Thu, 8 Jul 2021 03:37 UTC

"Xeno" <xenolith@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> On 8/7/21 11:04 am, Rod Speed wrote:
>>

>> "James Morrison" <nospam@gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> Might be the concrete & steel inside the building causing the issue?
>>
>> I have never seen that in a supermarket with my optus network
>> service and I do use the app in the supermarket quite a bit of
>> the time, usually to see the aisle something is in.
>>
>> Mate of mine who lives in a big block of units does have
>> a problem just when in the lift with the optus network
>> and didn't when he was using the telstra network.
>>
>>> The shopping centre had free wifi as well, don't know why they bothered
>>> because that was piss weak, and kept dropping out inside Coles.
>>
>> Guess its possible that particular supermarket has an unusual
>> construction.
>>
>>> Woolworths in Newington have their own free wifi if poor mobile
>>> reception. Woolworths more with it in running a business, IMHO.
>>
>> Yeah, their self checkouts are vastly better here than in Coles here.
>> And you can get electronic receipts with Woolys and not Coles too.
>> And you can get cashout at the self checkouts in Woolys and not
>> with Coles too.
>
> Actually, you can get cashout on the Coles self checkouts, did it just the
> other day. It's just not as intuitive a user interface as on the Woolies
> checkouts.

That must be a recent change. I asked the supervising monkey
how to do it a couple of years ago and he said couldn’t be done
and said I had to get the monkey who flogged cigarettes to do it.

Re: Question re mobile reception

<iknajsFolieU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1419&group=aus.computers#1419

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2021 13:43:52 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Thu, 8 Jul 2021 03:43 UTC

"Rod Speed" <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote in message

> "Xeno" <xenolith@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
>> On 8/7/21 11:04 am, Rod Speed wrote:
>>>

>>> "James Morrison" <nospam@gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> I have never seen that in a supermarket with my optus network
>>> service and I do use the app in the supermarket quite a bit of
>>> the time, usually to see the aisle something is in.
>>>
>>> Mate of mine who lives in a big block of units does have
>>> a problem just when in the lift with the optus network
>>> and didn't when he was using the telstra network.

>>> Guess its possible that particular supermarket has an unusual
>>> construction.

>>> Yeah, their self checkouts are vastly better here than in Coles here.
>>> And you can get electronic receipts with Woolys and not Coles too.
>>> And you can get cashout at the self checkouts in Woolys and not
>>> with Coles too.
>>
>> Actually, you can get cashout on the Coles self checkouts, did it just
>> the other day. It's just not as intuitive a user interface as on the
>> Woolies checkouts.
>
> That must be a recent change. I asked the supervising monkey
> how to do it a couple of years ago and he said couldn’t be done
> and said I had to get the monkey who flogged cigarettes to do it.

I meant JUST a cashout, no purchase, not a cashout with a purchase.

Re: Question re mobile reception

<iknf7rFpflpU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1428&group=aus.computers#1428

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2021 15:02:51 +1000
 by: Xeno - Thu, 8 Jul 2021 05:02 UTC

On 8/7/21 1:43 pm, Rod Speed wrote:

> "Rod Speed" <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>

>> "Xeno" <xenolith@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message

>>> Actually, you can get cashout on the Coles self checkouts, did it
>>> just the other day. It's just not as intuitive a user interface as on
>>> the Woolies checkouts.
>>
>> That must be a recent change. I asked the supervising monkey
>> how to do it a couple of years ago and he said couldn’t be done
>> and said I had to get the monkey who flogged cigarettes to do it.
>
> I meant JUST a cashout, no purchase, not a cashout with a purchase.

I didn't try that. Will have a look at it next time I am in Coles.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: Question re mobile reception

<ikq23aFa76aU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1479&group=aus.computers#1479

From: fel...@invalid.com (Yosemite Sam)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2021 14:37:39 +1000
 by: Yosemite Sam - Fri, 9 Jul 2021 04:37 UTC

On 8/07/2021 9:55 am, Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
> Yosemite Sam <felix@invalid.com> wrote:
>> On 7/07/2021 1:10 pm, Trevor Wilson wrote:
>>> **That has nothing to do with the network. The Telstra network is
>>> superior to all others. Their retail outlets, being independent
>>> operations, ranges from decent to hopelessly inadequate. Optus is
>>> exactly the same. Adequate network (though inferior to Telstra) and
>>> decent to hopeless retail outlets. I wouldn't piss on anything
>>> Vodafone if it was on fire.
>>
>> the network may be, but Telstra as a service provider is shit. wait on
>> the phone for two hours to get someone who knows nothing to tell you the
>> problem is 'at your end'. you can ring AussieBB, at 11:00 pm, as I did
>> recently, and talk to a knowledgeable person in seconds.
> They don't provide any easy way to report issues either. I
> documented in detail the way that their online activation process
> was failing for people activating a SIM while using that same SIM
> for the internet connection (which is supposed to work on Telstra,
> though many other providers don't do it), which was broken for well
> over a week and presumably inconveniencing a lot of new customers.
>
> There's no decent place to report something like that - I ended up
> posting it to their online chat thing, where the only response I
> got was a breif "typing..." and then nothing in the 1/2hr that I
> left the page up. Then I sent it to webmaster@telstra.com for the
> sake of it. They redid the whole activation system a few weeks
> later and the problem was fixed then.
>
> Of course for the ~$2.70/month I'm paying I shouldn't expect much
> service, but when you consider the sort of money that most people
> pay them and how that problem affected them too...

typical Hel$tra.

--
"A mans got to know his limitations"
- clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry

Re: Question re mobile reception

<sccb3d.bg0.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1533&group=aus.computers#1533

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: 10 Jul 2021 12:33:33 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Sat, 10 Jul 2021 12:33 UTC

Trevor Wilson <trevor@rageaudio.com.au> wrote:
> On 7/07/2021 7:02 am, James Morrison wrote:
> > I am on a Vodagroan plan, no contract.
> >
> > Shopping the other day in a Coles Supermarket, no frigging reception at
> > all, or when there was, so slow that I couldn't use the Coles app.
> >
> > This is at Wentworth Point (Homebush Bay) in Sydney.
> >
> > Wondering if in these circumstances Tel$tra might be a better choice,
> > or could it maybe just a problem with being inside?
>
> **Vodafone is the worst cell phone provider in Australia (I have a mate
> who used to design cell phone networks and he explained how and why
> Vodafone is so bad). Pay the extra and go with Telstra. It's worth it.
> Both Vodafone and Optus have screwed me over. Optus was OK, until those
> Singaporean cunts took over. I'm sticking with Telstra.

Exactly. For universal network coverage - Australia wide -, go with
Telstra, at least with the - *full* - Telstra *network* [1].

[1] Which AFAIK is only Telstra or Boost. Other 're-sellers' use only a
part of the Telstra network, which may or may not be sufficient
depending on your needs.

Re: Question re mobile reception

<sccbfd$79c$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1534&group=aus.computers#1534

From: notgo...@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2021 22:39:44 +0800
 by: Clocky - Sat, 10 Jul 2021 14:39 UTC

On 7/07/2021 10:16 am, Petzl wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Jul 2021 11:03:08 +1000, James Morrison <nospam@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 07 Jul 2021 08:24:42 +1000
>> Petzl <petzlx@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> If Tesltra provide good coverage in your area go to
>>> https://www.aldimobile.com.au/collections/plans
>>
>> I tried another Tel$tra reseller, but I found the speeds were
>> throttled, and also I need to use the phone as a hotspot at times.
>> Does Aldi have throttled speeds, and can a hotspot be used?
>
> Aldi had them throttled to 3G but may be 4G now as 3G is discontinued
> Optus only has 5G

That's not correct.

Re: Question re mobile reception

<iku68bF443uU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1539&group=aus.computers#1539

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2021 04:12:25 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Sat, 10 Jul 2021 18:12 UTC

"Frank Slootweg" <this@ddress.is.invalid> wrote in message
> Trevor Wilson <trevor@rageaudio.com.au> wrote:
>> On 7/07/2021 7:02 am, James Morrison wrote:
>> > I am on a Vodagroan plan, no contract.
>> >
>> > Shopping the other day in a Coles Supermarket, no frigging reception at
>> > all, or when there was, so slow that I couldn't use the Coles app.
>> >
>> > This is at Wentworth Point (Homebush Bay) in Sydney.
>> >
>> > Wondering if in these circumstances Tel$tra might be a better choice,
>> > or could it maybe just a problem with being inside?
>>
>> **Vodafone is the worst cell phone provider in Australia (I have a mate
>> who used to design cell phone networks and he explained how and why
>> Vodafone is so bad). Pay the extra and go with Telstra. It's worth it.
>> Both Vodafone and Optus have screwed me over. Optus was OK, until those
>> Singaporean cunts took over. I'm sticking with Telstra.
>
> Exactly. For universal network coverage - Australia wide -, go with
> Telstra, at least with the - *full* - Telstra *network* [1].
>
> [1] Which AFAIK is only Telstra or Boost. Other 're-sellers' use only a
> part of the Telstra network, which may or may not be sufficient
> depending on your needs.

Also Belong which is Telstra.

But in the state capitals where he is, you don’t need
Telstra, Optus is just as good. Most of SE aust too.

Re: Question re mobile reception

<ikue4aF5ibtU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1542&group=aus.computers#1542

From: tre...@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2021 06:26:51 +1000
 by: Trevor Wilson - Sat, 10 Jul 2021 20:26 UTC

On 11/07/2021 4:12 am, Rod Speed wrote:

> "Frank Slootweg" <this@ddress.is.invalid> wrote in message
>> Trevor Wilson <trevor@rageaudio.com.au> wrote:

>>> reception at

>>> **Vodafone is the worst cell phone provider in Australia (I have a mate
>>> who used to design cell phone networks and he explained how and why
>>> Vodafone is so bad). Pay the extra and go with Telstra. It's worth it.
>>> Both Vodafone and Optus have screwed me over. Optus was OK, until those
>>> Singaporean cunts took over. I'm sticking with Telstra.
>>
>>  Exactly. For universal network coverage - Australia wide -, go with
>> Telstra, at least with the - *full* - Telstra *network* [1].
>>
>> [1] Which AFAIK is only Telstra or Boost. Other 're-sellers' use only a
>> part of the Telstra network, which may or may not be sufficient
>> depending on your needs.
>
> Also Belong which is Telstra.
>
> But in the state capitals where he is, you don’t need
> Telstra, Optus is just as good. Most of SE aust too.

**Bullshit. In my home and backyard, only Telstra is reliable. Optus and
Vodafone suck. And, this may come as a surprise: I travel a bit. Outside
Sydney and other centres.

Re: Question re mobile reception

<scd8ct.ar0.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1543&group=aus.computers#1543

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: 10 Jul 2021 20:53:33 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Sat, 10 Jul 2021 20:53 UTC

Trevor Wilson <trevor@rageaudio.com.au> wrote:
> On 11/07/2021 4:12 am, Rod Speed wrote:
> >
> > "Frank Slootweg" <this@ddress.is.invalid> wrote in message

> >>  Exactly. For universal network coverage - Australia wide -, go with
> >> Telstra, at least with the - *full* - Telstra *network* [1].
> >>
> >> [1] Which AFAIK is only Telstra or Boost. Other 're-sellers' use only a
> >> part of the Telstra network, which may or may not be sufficient
> >> depending on your needs.
> >
> > Also Belong which is Telstra.
> >
> > But in the state capitals where he is, you don?t need
> > Telstra, Optus is just as good. Most of SE aust too.
>
> **Bullshit. In my home and backyard, only Telstra is reliable. Optus and
> Vodafone suck. And, this may come as a surprise: I travel a bit. Outside
> Sydney and other centres.

You should really stop doing that, I mean the travelling bit! What
*are* you thinking, that it's a *mobile* phone or something!?

But seriously, before this bloody virus, we travelled (for many years,
several months at a time, upto 14,000 km/trip) all over Oz including -
and even mainly - rural/areas and using a non-(full)Telstra network
just wasn't an option.

Re: Question re mobile reception

<ikuk4eF6m5aU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1544&group=aus.computers#1544

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2021 08:09:15 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Sat, 10 Jul 2021 22:09 UTC

Trevor Wilson <trevor@rageaudio.com.au> wrote
> Rod Speed wrote
>> Frank Slootweg <this@ddress.is.invalid> wrote
>>> Trevor Wilson <trevor@rageaudio.com.au> wrote

>>> Exactly. For universal network coverage - Australia wide -, go with
>>> Telstra, at least with the - *full* - Telstra *network* [1].
>>>
>>> [1] Which AFAIK is only Telstra or Boost. Other 're-sellers' use only a
>>> part of the Telstra network, which may or may not be sufficient
>>> depending on your needs.
>>
>> Also Belong which is Telstra.
>>
>> But in the state capitals where he is, you don’t need
>> Telstra, Optus is just as good. Most of SE aust too.

> Bullshit.

We'll see...

> In my home and backyard, only Telstra is reliable. Optus and Vodafone
> suck.

The Pretzel gets the opposite result
Telstra sucks and Optus works fine.

Both networks have their holes, stupid.

> And, this may come as a surprise: I travel a bit. Outside Sydney and other
> centres.

So do I, in fact that’s where I live and Optus works fine.

I did see a hole of less than a km at kyneton
racecourse but you get that with telsta too.

Re: Question re mobile reception

<9s8keg9evd3koqtapcs52tsto1dna3vjue@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1546&group=aus.computers#1546

From: pet...@gmail.com (Petzl)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2021 08:53:18 +1000
 by: Petzl - Sat, 10 Jul 2021 22:53 UTC

On Sat, 10 Jul 2021 22:39:44 +0800, Clocky <notgonna@happen.com>
wrote:

>On 7/07/2021 10:16 am, Petzl wrote:
>> On Wed, 7 Jul 2021 11:03:08 +1000, James Morrison <nospam@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> I tried another Tel$tra reseller, but I found the speeds were
>>> throttled, and also I need to use the phone as a hotspot at times.
>>> Does Aldi have throttled speeds, and can a hotspot be used?
>>
>> Aldi had them throttled to 3G but may be 4G now as 3G is discontinued
>> Optus only has 5G
>>
>That's not correct.

It is in Campbelltown NSW for over a year now.
Someone snipped
Campbelltown Opus is all 5G network
4G works a well your phone decides
<https://www.macarthuradvertiser.com.au/story/6672222/5g-technology-arrives-in-campbelltown/>
https://is.gd/zJh12R
Things are about to move faster in Campbelltown with 5G internet
coming to the area.

Optus has just switched on its 5G network in Campbelltown, making it
among the first regions in the country to experience the latest
technology.

Optus' head of 5G, Harvey Wright, said it was an easy choice to roll
out the technology in Campbelltown as one of its first destinations.
--
Petzl
Only the Irish Leprignomes have remained aloof and their family

Re: Question re mobile reception

<m99keghgaeutlvm41ra7t6rnec0skkks86@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1547&group=aus.computers#1547

From: pet...@gmail.com (Petzl)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2021 08:58:37 +1000
 by: Petzl - Sat, 10 Jul 2021 22:58 UTC

On Sun, 11 Jul 2021 08:09:15 +1000, "Rod Speed"
<rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote:

>Trevor Wilson <trevor@rageaudio.com.au> wrote
>> Rod Speed wrote
>>> Frank Slootweg <this@ddress.is.invalid> wrote

>>> Also Belong which is Telstra.
>>>
>>> But in the state capitals where he is, you don’t need
>>> Telstra, Optus is just as good. Most of SE aust too.
>
>> Bullshit.
>
>We'll see...
>
>> In my home and backyard, only Telstra is reliable. Optus and Vodafone
>> suck.
>
>The Pretzel gets the opposite result
>Telstra sucks and Optus works fine.
>
>Both networks have their holes, stupid.

Yes went to Amaysim/Optus years ago not yet broken so say there
Tried Vodaphone seems to be a hoax, Telstra works well at the station,
but so does Optus. Testra didn' not where I live 10 or so years ago
maybe more.

>> And, this may come as a surprise: I travel a bit. Outside Sydney and other
>> centres.
>
>So do I, in fact that’s where I live and Optus works fine.
>
>I did see a hole of less than a km at kyneton
>racecourse but you get that with telsta too.

--
Petzl
Good lawyers know the law
Great lawyers know the judge

aus+uk / aus.computers / Re: Question re mobile reception