"Ada is PL/I trying to be Smalltalk. -- Codoso diBlini

aus+uk / uk.comp.sys.mac / Re: Ping: Apd

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Ping: ApdDavid Brooks
+* Re: Ping: ApdSnit
> [...]
|   |+* Re: Ping: ApdSnit
|   ||`- Re: Ping: ApdSnit
|   |+* Re: Ping: ApdWolfFan
|   ||+* Re: Ping: ApdDavid Brooks
|   |||+* Ramnit Trojan on an Apple iMac! (was - Ping: Apd)David Brooks
|   ||||`* Re: Ramnit Trojan on an Apple iMac! (was - Ping: Apd)Kelly Phillips
|   |||| `* Re: Ramnit Trojan on an Apple iMac! (was - Ping: Apd)WolfFan
|   ||||  +* Re: Ramnit Trojan on an Apple iMac! (was - Ping: Apd)pothead
|   ||||  |`* Re: Ramnit Trojan on an Apple iMac!Snit
|   ||||  | `* Re: Ramnit Trojan on an Apple iMac!Charlie Glock
|   ||||  |  +* Re: Ramnit Trojan on an Apple iMac!Joerg Lorenz
|   ||||  |  |`* Re: Ramnit Trojan on an Apple iMac!Charlie Glock
|   ||||  |  | `* Re: Ramnit Trojan on an Apple iMac!Joerg Lorenz
|   ||||  |  |  +- Re: Ramnit Trojan on an Apple iMac!Charlie Glock
|   ||||  |  |  `- Re: Ramnit Trojan on an Apple iMac!pothead
|   ||||  |  `- Re: Ramnit Trojan on an Apple iMac!Snit
|   ||||  `- Re: Ramnit Trojan on an Apple iMac! (was - Ping: Apd)Joerg Lorenz
|   |||+* Re: Ping: ApdKelly Phillips
|   ||||`* Re: Ping: ApdDavid Brooks
|   |||| `* Re: Ping: ApdKelly Phillips
|   ||||  `* Re: Ping: ApdDavid Brooks
|   ||||   `- Re: Ping: ApdKelly Phillips
|   |||`* Re: Ping: ApdWolfFan
|   ||| `* Re: Ping: ApdDavid Brooks
|   |||  `- Re: Ping: ApdWolfFan
|   ||+- Re: Ping: ApdCharlie Glock
|   ||`* Re: Ping: ApdJoerg Lorenz
|   || `* Re: Ping: ApdWolfFan
|   ||  `* Re: Ping: ApdJoerg Lorenz
|   ||   `* Re: Ping: ApdWolfFan
|   ||    +* Re: Ping: ApdDavid Brooks
|   ||    |+* Re: Ping: ApdWolfFan
|   ||    ||+* Re: Ping: ApdDavid Brooks
|   ||    |||`* Re: Ping: ApdWolfFan
|   ||    ||| `- Re: Ping: ApdDavid Brooks
|   ||    ||`* Re: Ping: ApdJoerg Lorenz
|   ||    || +* Re: Ping: ApdDavid Brooks
|   ||    || |+* Re: Ping: Apdnospam
|   ||    || ||`- Re: Ping: ApdDavid Brooks
|   ||    || |`* Re: Ping: ApdFromTheRafters
|   ||    || | +* Re: Ping: ApdDavid Brooks
|   ||    || | |`* Re: Ping: ApdFromTheRafters
|   ||    || | | `* Re: Ping: ApdDavid Brooks
|   ||    || | |  `* Re: Ping: ApdFromTheRafters
|   ||    || | |   `* Re: Ping: ApdDavid Brooks
|   ||    || | |    +* Re: Ping: Apdpothead
|   ||    || | |    |`- Re: Ping: ApdDavid Brooks
|   ||    || | |    `- Re: Ping: ApdFromTheRafters
|   ||    || | `* Re: Ping: ApdDavid Brooks
|   ||    || |  `* Re: Ping: ApdFromTheRafters
|   ||    || |   `* Re: Ping: ApdDavid Brooks
|   ||    || |    `* Re: Ping: ApdFromTheRafters
|   ||    || |     `- Re: Ping: ApdDavid Brooks
|   ||    || `* Re: Ping: ApdWolfFan
|   ||    ||  `- Re: Ping: ApdDavid Brooks
|   ||    |`* Re: Ping: ApdJoerg Lorenz
|   ||    | +- Re: Ping: ApdDavid Brooks
|   ||    | +* Re: Ping: ApdWolfFan
|   ||    | |`- Re: Ping: ApdJoerg Lorenz
|   ||    | `* Re: Ping: ApdSnit
|   ||    |  +* Re: Ping: ApdCharlie Glock
|   ||    |  |`- Re: Ping: ApdSnit
|   ||    |  +* Re: Ping: ApdFromTheRafters
|   ||    |  |`* Re: Ping: ApdSnit
|   ||    |  | `* Re: Ping: ApdFromTheRafters
|   ||    |  |  `* Re: Ping: ApdSnit
|   ||    |  |   `* Re: Ping: ApdFromTheRafters
`* Re: Ping: ApdCharlie Glock
 +- ASC posting history! (was - Ping: Apd)David Brooks
 +* Re: Ping: ApdJoerg Lorenz
 |`- Re: Ping: ApdDavid Brooks
 `* Re: Ping: ApdDavid Brooks

Pages:12345
Re: Ping: Apd

<MlYrM.45167$Wtn5.41853@fx03.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16820&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#16820

Subject: Re: Ping: Apd
Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac
From: Davi...@nomail.afraid.org (David Brooks)
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2023 20:35:08 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Thu, 13 Jul 2023 19:35 UTC

On 13/07/2023 19:44, Snit wrote:
> On Jul 13, 2023 at 11:28:57 AM MST, ""Apd"" wrote
> <u8pfph$3nfgn$1@apd.eternal-september.org>:
>
>> "David Brooks" wrote:
>>> Another question if I may.
>>>
>>> Is there some command I could use in Terminal to determine if ClamXAV
>>> has left ANY 'marker' on my computer which will tell Canimaan Software
>>> Ltd that I have, in the past, taken advantage of their 'Free Trial'?
>>
>> No. If a file was left behind you'd have to know its name and
>> location. Finding and looking in directories named after the company
>> or software would be a start. You've already done this exercise with
>> Snit.
>
> The uninstaller software is pretty good at showing such files.

The puzzle remains then!

I wiped the hard drive on this computer. I even went through the process
of restoring my Fusion drive:- https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207584

Logically, there should have been NOTHING left on my hard drive to
indicate that I had previously installed a 'Trial' of ClamXAV.

However, when I did try to install the trial again the fact that I'd
used the 'Trial' already was known - *HOW* did ClamXAV know this?

FYI ...

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/254566260

Kurt Lang
User level: Level 9
56,771 points
Feb 6, 2023 1:09 AM in response to AuntyNancy

It can be very difficult to tell if you've installed malware. The
crook's entire goal is to make sure you don't know it's there. Well,
unless it's something like ransomware. Then it's "in your face" notices
they've encrypted your data and to pay some ransom to get an unlock key.
And by the way, NEVER pay if you see that. Often, these keys don't work.
Either because they didn't test that it would, or never intended to
provide a working key. That, and they often ask for more money. Which
they'll keep doing for as often as you believe you'll eventually get a
decryption key.

No, I don't run MalwareBytes on a regular basis because I never get my
software from skanky sources. Legitimate paid, demo or free software,
only. I do run it from time to time (like maybe twice a year) just so
I'm familiar with how to describe to users here how to install and run
it since it changes every now and then.

Since there are no viruses, you can't unknowingly spread anything to
another user. At least, not very easily. You can install malware
unknowingly. That's really how most of gets on a Mac in the first place.
Adware is the least dangerous and comes mostly from aggregate software
places like downloads.com. It's all legal freeware, shareware and
commercial demo software you can download. But it also randomly includes
adware which gets installed along with the software you wanted to try. I
do look at such sites when I'm trying to find a particular type of
software. But, I never download it from them. I look for the developer's
site and get it directly there.

How to avoid the really nasty stuff like ransomware and key loggers?
It's actually simple. Never, never, ever download anything from P2P,
file sharing and pirate sites. Crooks intentionally add malware to
installers of expensive cracked titles such as Photoshop, Mathematica
and others. Then they just sit back and wait for victims to download and
install it. When you provide your admin password for such an install
(any install that requires your password, actually), the OS doesn't need
to ask you again for something you weren't expecting to be part of that
installer package.

Re: Ping: Apd

<k1ZrM.305766$65y6.194153@fx17.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16822&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#16822

From: brock.mc...@gmail.com (Snit)
Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2023 20:21:36 GMT
 by: Snit - Thu, 13 Jul 2023 20:21 UTC

On Jul 13, 2023 at 12:35:08 PM MST, "David Brooks" wrote
<MlYrM.45167$Wtn5.41853@fx03.iad>:

> On 13/07/2023 19:44, Snit wrote:
>> On Jul 13, 2023 at 11:28:57 AM MST, ""Apd"" wrote
>> <u8pfph$3nfgn$1@apd.eternal-september.org>:

>>> No. If a file was left behind you'd have to know its name and
>>> location. Finding and looking in directories named after the company
>>> or software would be a start. You've already done this exercise with
>>> Snit.
>>
>> The uninstaller software is pretty good at showing such files.
>
> The puzzle remains then!
>
> I wiped the hard drive on this computer. I even went through the process
> of restoring my Fusion drive:- https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207584
>
> Logically, there should have been NOTHING left on my hard drive to
> indicate that I had previously installed a 'Trial' of ClamXAV.

Correct.

> However, when I did try to install the trial again the fact that I'd
> used the 'Trial' already was known - *HOW* did ClamXAV know this?

Just a guess: it phones home and shares things about your hardware.

--
Personal attacks from those who troll show their own insecurity. They cannot use reason to show the message to be wrong so they try to feel somehow superior by attacking the messenger.

Re: Ping: Apd

<TtZrM.57393$_2s1.30484@fx44.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16823&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#16823

Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac
From: Davi...@nomail.afraid.org (David Brooks)
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2023 21:52:02 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Thu, 13 Jul 2023 20:52 UTC

🙂

>> However, when I did try to install the trial again the fact that I'd
>> used the 'Trial' already was known - *HOW* did ClamXAV know this?
>
> Just a guess: it phones home and shares things about your hardware.

Hmmm. Their server looking deep inside my computer just by visiting
their website?

Is that possible? (Rhetorical)

>> FYI ...
>>
>> https://discussions.apple.com/thread/254566260
>>
>> Kurt Lang
>> User level: Level 9
>> 56,771 points
>> Feb 6, 2023 1:09 AM in response to AuntyNancy
>>
>> It can be very difficult to tell if you've installed malware. The
>> crook's entire goal is to make sure you don't know it's there. Well,
>> unless it's something like ransomware. Then it's "in your face" notices
>> they've encrypted your data and to pay some ransom to get an unlock key.
>> And by the way, NEVER pay if you see that. Often, these keys don't work.
>> Either because they didn't test that it would, or never intended to
>> provide a working key. That, and they often ask for more money. Which
>> they'll keep doing for as often as you believe you'll eventually get a
>> decryption key.
>>
>> No, I don't run MalwareBytes on a regular basis because I never get my
>> software from skanky sources. Legitimate paid, demo or free software,
>> only. I do run it from time to time (like maybe twice a year) just so
>> I'm familiar with how to describe to users here how to install and run
>> it since it changes every now and then.
>>
>> Since there are no viruses, you can't unknowingly spread anything to
>> another user. At least, not very easily. You can install malware
>> unknowingly. That's really how most of gets on a Mac in the first place.
>> Adware is the least dangerous and comes mostly from aggregate software
>> places like downloads.com. It's all legal freeware, shareware and
>> commercial demo software you can download. But it also randomly includes
>> adware which gets installed along with the software you wanted to try. I
>> do look at such sites when I'm trying to find a particular type of
>> software. But, I never download it from them. I look for the developer's
>> site and get it directly there.
>>
>> How to avoid the really nasty stuff like ransomware and key loggers?
>> It's actually simple. Never, never, ever download anything from P2P,
>> file sharing and pirate sites. Crooks intentionally add malware to
>> installers of expensive cracked titles such as Photoshop, Mathematica
>> and others. Then they just sit back and wait for victims to download and
>> install it. When you provide your admin password for such an install
>> (any install that requires your password, actually), the OS doesn't need
>> to ask you again for something you weren't expecting to be part of that
>> installer package.

Re: Ping: Apd

<3E1sM.57395$_2s1.49164@fx44.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16825&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#16825

Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac
From: "Charlie...@localhost.com (Charlie Glock)
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 01:35:59 GMT
 by: Charlie Glock - Fri, 14 Jul 2023 01:35 UTC

On 2023-07-13, David Brooks <David.B@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
> [...]
> adware which gets installed along with the software you wanted to try. I
> do look at such sites when I'm trying to find a particular type of
> software. But, I never download it from them. I look for the developer's
> site and get it directly there.
>
> How to avoid the really nasty stuff like ransomware and key loggers?
> It's actually simple. Never, never, ever download anything from P2P,
> file sharing and pirate sites. Crooks intentionally add malware to
> installers of expensive cracked titles such as Photoshop, Mathematica
> and others. Then they just sit back and wait for victims to download and
> install it. When you provide your admin password for such an install
> (any install that requires your password, actually), the OS doesn't need
> to ask you again for something you weren't expecting to be part of that

I've seen something similar under Windows. the file shows as zero byes and the Windows explorer
will not be able to delete it. Some 3rd party utilities or Linux can delete the file.
I think when the file gets deposited on your hard drive, some routine screws with the file
allocation system and makes the file appear to have 0 bytes. I don't know about OSX but Windows
pukes on this type of file.

BTW, you CAN get a virus just by visiting a website. The usual method is that a hacker drops a
nasty on a compromised website which will redirect people visiting the site and send them to what
looks like an exact copy of the original page. The user will have no clue they are actually on a
different site unless they look carefully at the URL in the browser status bar.
This is where you get infected.
Click on a link on what you think is the site you went to and an exploit program will run which
will probe your PC for known security vulnerabilities at which point it will install the payload on
your computer.
That's the basics.
I'm pretty certain Gremlin or APD can explain it better than I have.

--
Charlie Glock
"To conquer a nation, first disarm it's citizens"

Re: Ping: Apd

<8I1sM.57396$_2s1.136@fx44.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16826&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#16826

Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac
From: "Charlie...@localhost.com (Charlie Glock)
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 01:40:20 GMT
 by: Charlie Glock - Fri, 14 Jul 2023 01:40 UTC

On 2023-07-13, David Brooks <David.B@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
> On 13/07/2023 21:21, Snit wrote:
>> On Jul 13, 2023 at 12:35:08 PM MST, "David Brooks" wrote
>> <MlYrM.45167$Wtn5.41853@fx03.iad>:

>>> The puzzle remains then!
>>>
>>> I wiped the hard drive on this computer. I even went through the process
>>> of restoring my Fusion drive:- https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207584
>>>
>>> Logically, there should have been NOTHING left on my hard drive to
>>> indicate that I had previously installed a 'Trial' of ClamXAV.
>>
>> Correct.
>
> 🙂
>
>>> However, when I did try to install the trial again the fact that I'd
>>> used the 'Trial' already was known - *HOW* did ClamXAV know this?
>>
>> Just a guess: it phones home and shares things about your hardware.
>
> Hmmm. Their server looking deep inside my computer just by visiting
> their website?

See my other post.
Snit might be correct on this one. I know zero about Macs but if you are installing ClamXAV
locally, meaning the install file is located on your hard drive, unplug your network cable or
disconnect from the network and try the install.
That should at least let you know if it's calling the mothership.

You can also use a program like Little Snitch to capture phone homes.

--
Charlie Glock
"To conquer a nation, first disarm it's citizens"
-- Adolf Hitler

Re: Ping: Apd

<0001HW.2A60F07D0104956370000216738F@news.supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16827&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#16827

Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2023 22:54:53 -0400
From: akwolf...@zoho.com (WolfFan)
Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop, uk.comp.sys.mac
 by: WolfFan - Fri, 14 Jul 2023 02:54 UTC

On Jul 13, 2023, Charlie Glock wrote
(in article <8I1sM.57396$_2s1.136@fx44.iad>):

> On 2023-07-13, David Brooks<David.B@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
> > On 13/07/2023 21:21, Snit wrote:

> > > Correct.
> >
> > 🙂

> > > Just a guess: it phones home and shares things about your hardware.
> >
> > Hmmm. Their server looking deep inside my computer just by visiting
> > their website?
>
> See my other post.
> Snit might be correct on this one. I know zero about Macs but if you are
> installing ClamXAV
> locally, meaning the install file is located on your hard drive, unplug your
> network cable or
> disconnect from the network and try the install.
> That should at least let you know if it's calling the mothership.

it’s _anti-malware_. The _first thing_ that it’ll do is call home to get
the latest malware info files. It literally _must_ call home on a regular
basis to do its job.

> You can also use a program like Little Snitch to capture phone homes.

Re: Ping: Apd

<k43sM.29412$e0D4.5919@fx06.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16828&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#16828

Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac
From: "Charlie...@localhost.com (Charlie Glock)
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 03:14:24 GMT
 by: Charlie Glock - Fri, 14 Jul 2023 03:14 UTC

On 2023-07-14, WolfFan <akwolffan@zoho.com> wrote:
> On Jul 13, 2023, Charlie Glock wrote
> (in article <8I1sM.57396$_2s1.136@fx44.iad>):

>> > 🙂

>> > Hmmm. Their server looking deep inside my computer just by visiting
>> > their website?
>>
>> See my other post.
>> Snit might be correct on this one. I know zero about Macs but if you are
>> installing ClamXAV
>> locally, meaning the install file is located on your hard drive, unplug your
>> network cable or
>> disconnect from the network and try the install.
>> That should at least let you know if it's calling the mothership.
>
> it’s _anti-malware_. The _first thing_ that it’ll do is call home to get
> the latest malware info files. It literally _must_ call home on a regular
> basis to do its job.

Thank you for the clarification. I wasn't sure if this was an offline scanner or installed and
configured to allow manual updates etc.
Actually I've never heard of ClamXAV before.

--
Charlie Glock
"To conquer a nation, first disarm it's citizens"
-- Adolf Hitler

Re: Ping: Apd

<Ht4sM.255154$edN3.159140@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16829&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#16829

From: brock.mc...@gmail.com (Snit)
Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 04:49:43 GMT
 by: Snit - Fri, 14 Jul 2023 04:49 UTC

On Jul 13, 2023 at 8:14:24 PM MST, "Charlie Glock" wrote

Yes, Carroll, you have.

--
Personal attacks from those who troll show their own insecurity. They cannot use reason to show the message to be wrong so they try to feel somehow superior by attacking the messenger.

Re: Ping: Apd

<Zt4sM.255155$edN3.21148@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16830&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#16830

From: brock.mc...@gmail.com (Snit)
Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 04:50:01 GMT
 by: Snit - Fri, 14 Jul 2023 04:50 UTC

On Jul 13, 2023 at 7:54:53 PM MST, "WolfFan" wrote

Carroll is playing you for a fool.

--
Personal attacks from those who troll show their own insecurity. They cannot use reason to show the message to be wrong so they try to feel somehow superior by attacking the messenger.

Re: Ping: Apd

<DG4sM.102190$eGef.70@fx47.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16831&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#16831

Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac
From: "Charlie...@localhost.com (Charlie Glock)
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 05:03:31 GMT
 by: Charlie Glock - Fri, 14 Jul 2023 05:03 UTC

On 2023-07-14, Snit <brock.mcnuggets@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 13, 2023 at 7:54:53 PM MST, "WolfFan" wrote
><0001HW.2A60F07D0104956370000216738F@news.supernews.com>:
>
>> On Jul 13, 2023, Charlie Glock wrote
>> (in article <8I1sM.57396$_2s1.136@fx44.iad>):

>>> See my other post.
>>> Snit might be correct on this one. I know zero about Macs but if you are
>>> installing ClamXAV
>>> locally, meaning the install file is located on your hard drive, unplug your
>>> network cable or
>>> disconnect from the network and try the install.
>>> That should at least let you know if it's calling the mothership.
>>
>> it’s _anti-malware_. The _first thing_ that it’ll do is call home to get
>> the latest malware info files. It literally _must_ call home on a regular
>> basis to do its job.
>
> Carroll is playing you for a fool.

And your proof that I am Steve Carroll is?
The only fool around these parts is you snit.

--
Charlie Glock
"To conquer a nation, first disarm it's citizens"
-- Adolf Hitler

Re: Ping: Apd

<uL4sM.21052$lzu4.9381@fx04.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16832&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#16832

From: brock.mc...@gmail.com (Snit)
Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 05:08:42 GMT
 by: Snit - Fri, 14 Jul 2023 05:08 UTC

On Jul 13, 2023 at 10:03:31 PM MST, "Charlie Glock" wrote
<DG4sM.102190$eGef.70@fx47.iad>:

> On 2023-07-14, Snit <brock.mcnuggets@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Jul 13, 2023 at 7:54:53 PM MST, "WolfFan" wrote
>> <0001HW.2A60F07D0104956370000216738F@news.supernews.com>:
>>
>>> On Jul 13, 2023, Charlie Glock wrote
>>> (in article <8I1sM.57396$_2s1.136@fx44.iad>):

>>> it’s _anti-malware_. The _first thing_ that it’ll do is call home to get
>>> the latest malware info files. It literally _must_ call home on a regular
>>> basis to do its job.
>>
>> Carroll is playing you for a fool.
>
> And your proof that I am Steve Carroll is?
> The only fool around these parts is you snit.

You want me to prove to you that you are you... another sign you need massive
help.

--
Personal attacks from those who troll show their own insecurity. They cannot use reason to show the message to be wrong so they try to feel somehow superior by attacking the messenger.

Re: Ping: Apd

<8S4sM.340874$t9v6.158447@fx15.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16833&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#16833

Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac
From: "Charlie...@localhost.com (Charlie Glock)
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 05:15:48 GMT
 by: Charlie Glock - Fri, 14 Jul 2023 05:15 UTC

On 2023-07-14, Snit <brock.mcnuggets@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 13, 2023 at 10:03:31 PM MST, "Charlie Glock" wrote
><DG4sM.102190$eGef.70@fx47.iad>:
>
>> On 2023-07-14, Snit <brock.mcnuggets@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Carroll is playing you for a fool.
>>
>> And your proof that I am Steve Carroll is?
>> The only fool around these parts is you snit.
>
> You want me to prove to you that you are you... another sign you need massive
> help.

Cut the psychobabble and wordsmith crap snit.
This is very simple, you claim I am I am Carroll so it's up to you to prove that statement.
Can you?

--
Charlie Glock
"To conquer a nation, first disarm it's citizens"
-- Adolf Hitler

ASC posting history! (was - Ping: Apd)

<4n9sM.371914$fNr5.271850@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16838&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#16838

Subject: ASC posting history! (was - Ping: Apd)
Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac
From: Davi...@nomail.afraid.org (David Brooks)
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 11:24:00 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Fri, 14 Jul 2023 10:24 UTC

On 14/07/2023 02:35, Charlie Glock wrote:
> [...]
> pukes on this type of file.
>
> BTW, you CAN get a virus just by visiting a website. The usual method is that a hacker drops a
> nasty on a compromised website which will redirect people visiting the site and send them to what
> looks like an exact copy of the original page. The user will have no clue they are actually on a
> different site unless they look carefully at the URL in the browser status bar.
> This is where you get infected.
> Click on a link on what you think is the site you went to and an exploit program will run which
> will probe your PC for known security vulnerabilities at which point it will install the payload on
> your computer.
> That's the basics.
> I'm pretty certain Gremlin or APD can explain it better than I have.

*I raised exactly that* on the ASC forums years ago and got short
shrift! (AND - I've found the thread!)

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8332293

HunterBD
Author
User level: Level 2
304 points
Does Etrecheck have the blessing/approval of Apple itself?
Hi 😕

Here on ASC there is much discussion about the dangers of using
non-approved software.

My understanding is that simply by visiting a URL a computer can be
infected with malware and the user remain completely unaware of this
fact. There is some discussion about this here:-
https://www.quora.com/Can-you-get-a-virus-just-by-visiting-a-website

If the Etrecheck facility has been checked - by Apple itself - to
ensure that it is completely safe for Apple customers to use, I'd really
welcome that confirmation.

Does any one know or can someone ask Apple on my behalf?

D.
iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3), 27 inch -
Purchased January 2018
Posted on Mar 25, 2018 12:17 PM

Re: Ping: Apd

<0001HW.2A6180BA0006FAE4700006FA438F@news.supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16840&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#16840

Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 09:10:18 -0400
From: akwolf...@zoho.com (WolfFan)
Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop, uk.comp.sys.mac
 by: WolfFan - Fri, 14 Jul 2023 13:10 UTC

On Jul 13, 2023, Charlie Glock wrote
(in article <k43sM.29412$e0D4.5919@fx06.iad>):

> On 2023-07-14, WolfFan<akwolffan@zoho.com> wrote:
> > On Jul 13, 2023, Charlie Glock wrote
> > (in article <8I1sM.57396$_2s1.136@fx44.iad>):

> > > See my other post.
> > > Snit might be correct on this one. I know zero about Macs but if you are
> > > installing ClamXAV
> > > locally, meaning the install file is located on your hard drive, unplug
> > > your
> > > network cable or
> > > disconnect from the network and try the install.
> > > That should at least let you know if it's calling the mothership.
> >
> > it’s _anti-malware_. The _first thing_ that it’ll do is call home to get
> > the latest malware info files. It literally _must_ call home on a regular
> > basis to do its job.
> Thank you for the clarification. I wasn't sure if this was an offline scanner
> or installed and
> configured to allow manual updates etc.
> Actually I've never heard of ClamXAV before.

It’s anti-malware. It’s a Mac wrapper for ClamAV. It’s slow (faster
than formerly, but that’s not hard) and, like a lot of Mac anti-malware
it’s far better at stopping Windows malware than Mac malware, no doubt
because there’s just so much Windows malware and so little Mac malware.
David the Idiot has been conducting a Hate Campaign against it, and its dev,
for nearly two decades now. His efforts have seen him banned from Apple’s
‘community’... twice. The last one was a permaban. He’s also been
banned from other sites. He’s gone so far as to post on sites like Quora
and Apple’s dev site, only to fail to get the responses he wanted. Why,
it’s almost as if he’s the only one who cares. But he carries on. He is,
after all, On A Misson From God.

He’s flat-out insane.

Re: Ping: Apd

<SPcsM.211536$RIra.91077@fx09.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16842&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#16842

From: brock.mc...@gmail.com (Snit)
Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 14:19:30 GMT
 by: Snit - Fri, 14 Jul 2023 14:19 UTC

On Jul 13, 2023 at 10:15:48 PM MST, "Charlie Glock" wrote
<8S4sM.340874$t9v6.158447@fx15.iad>:

> On 2023-07-14, Snit <brock.mcnuggets@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Jul 13, 2023 at 10:03:31 PM MST, "Charlie Glock" wrote
>> <DG4sM.102190$eGef.70@fx47.iad>:

>>> And your proof that I am Steve Carroll is?
>>> The only fool around these parts is you snit.
>>
>> You want me to prove to you that you are you... another sign you need massive
>> help.

You ignored this to troll. Very much as you do, Carroll.

--
Personal attacks from those who troll show their own insecurity. They cannot use reason to show the message to be wrong so they try to feel somehow superior by attacking the messenger.

Re: Ping: Apd

<gZcsM.65444$zQS.52545@fx41.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16843&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#16843

Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac
From: Davi...@nomail.afraid.org (David Brooks)
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 15:29:32 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Fri, 14 Jul 2023 14:29 UTC

On 14/07/2023 14:10, WolfFan *LIED* - again!

> He’s flat-out insane.

Something isn't right. I bought and paid for the ClamXAV software.

I asked Marc Allan questions.

He blocked me from Facebook and LinkedIn.

I'm open and honest. He is not so.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/feedback/forum/all/where-will-i-find-the-pm-mentioned-in-this-email/7f1437f4-47b9-47a2-9de3-8a72da509cd5?

Read here too:-

https://eclecticlight.co/2021/03/16/how-to-slip-unsigned-apps-past-gatekeeper-in-big-sur/comment-page-1/?unapproved=58675&moderation-hash=b241d64a4e1faf8d4d2ca88f69278bdd#comment-58675

--
David
Trying to watch the tennis too!

Ramnit Trojan on an Apple iMac! (was - Ping: Apd)

<PddsM.65445$zQS.58612@fx41.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16844&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#16844

Subject: Ramnit Trojan on an Apple iMac! (was - Ping: Apd)
Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac
From: Davi...@nomail.afraid.org (David Brooks)
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 15:47:11 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Fri, 14 Jul 2023 14:47 UTC

On 14/07/2023 15:29, David Brooks wrote:
> On 14/07/2023 14:10, WolfFan *LIED* - again!
>
>> He’s flat-out insane.
>
> Something isn't right. I bought and paid for the ClamXAV software.

[....]

*Read here too*:-

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ramnit-trojan-on-imac-aol-disk-from-2008-false/e18cc0a4-5895-412e-9306-e565d2571849

I'm so glad I kept a record of these things!

Any comments?

--
David

Re: Ping: Apd

<u8rvmp$31pq$1@fretwizzer.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16845&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#16845

From: "Steve C...@noSPAM.none (Steve Carroll)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 17:12:57 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Steve Carroll - Fri, 14 Jul 2023 17:12 UTC

On 2023-07-14, Snit <brock.mcnuggets@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 13, 2023 at 10:03:31 PM MST, "Charlie Glock" wrote
><DG4sM.102190$eGef.70@fx47.iad>:
>
>> On 2023-07-14, Snit <brock.mcnuggets@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Carroll is playing you for a fool.
>>
>> And your proof that I am Steve Carroll is?
>> The only fool around these parts is you snit.
>
> You want me to prove

.... what you used to claim you always proved (but it was a lie even back
then), your bogus allegation that I'm a sock puppeteer like you.

to you that you are you... another sign you need massive
> help.

Re: Ping: Apd

<u8rvq2$31pq$2@fretwizzer.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16846&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#16846

From: "Steve C...@noSPAM.none (Steve Carroll)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 17:14:42 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Steve Carroll - Fri, 14 Jul 2023 17:14 UTC

On 2023-07-14, Charlie Glock <"Charlie Glock"@localhost.com> wrote:
> On 2023-07-14, Snit <brock.mcnuggets@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Jul 13, 2023 at 10:03:31 PM MST, "Charlie Glock" wrote
>><DG4sM.102190$eGef.70@fx47.iad>:

>>> And your proof that I am Steve Carroll is?
>>> The only fool around these parts is you snit.
>>
>> You want me to prove to you that you are you... another sign you need massive
>> help.
>>

> Cut the psychobabble and wordsmith crap snit.
> This is very simple, you claim I am I am Carroll so it's up to you to prove that statement.
> Can you?

Ask yourself the most obvious question when Gasser is concerned:

When was the last time you saw him "support" his BS?

That's your answer and everyone in several newsgroups is well aware of
it.

Re: Ramnit Trojan on an Apple iMac! (was - Ping: Apd)

<e973bi1ct22mu7b8dga5dtmq4924a6356o@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16848&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#16848

From: KFi...@podcasts.org (Kelly Phillips)
Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Re: Ramnit Trojan on an Apple iMac! (was - Ping: Apd)
References: <VevqM.155985$65y6.25666@fx17.iad> <u8pfph$3nfgn$1@apd.eternal-september.org> <CCXrM.243579$1ZN4.34896@fx12.iad> <MlYrM.45167$Wtn5.41853@fx03.iad> <k1ZrM.305766$65y6.194153@fx17.iad> <TtZrM.57393$_2s1.30484@fx44.iad> <8I1sM.57396$_2s1.136@fx44.iad> <0001HW.2A60F07D0104956370000216738F@news.supernews.com> <k43sM.29412$e0D4.5919@fx06.iad> <0001HW.2A6180BA0006FAE4700006FA438F@news.supernews.com> <gZcsM.65444$zQS.52545@fx41.iad> <PddsM.65445$zQS.58612@fx41.iad>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 14:11:41 -0500
 by: Kelly Phillips - Fri, 14 Jul 2023 19:11 UTC

On Fri, 14 Jul 2023 15:47:11 +0100, David Brooks
<David.B@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:

>On 14/07/2023 15:29, David Brooks wrote:
>> On 14/07/2023 14:10, WolfFan *LIED* - again!
>>
>>> He’s flat-out insane.
>>
>> Something isn't right. I bought and paid for the ClamXAV software.
>
>[....]
>
>*Read here too*:-
>
>I'm so glad I kept a record of these things!
>
>Any comments?

Nothing that you haven't heard before, nothing that you want to hear.

Your kind of insanity has no upside.

Re: Ping: Apd

<b3c3bipfkrk3f7l09m0h409a44oif4reg4@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16849&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#16849

From: KFi...@podcasts.org (Kelly Phillips)
Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 15:31:38 -0500
 by: Kelly Phillips - Fri, 14 Jul 2023 20:31 UTC

On Fri, 14 Jul 2023 15:29:32 +0100, David Brooks
<David.B@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:

>Something isn't right. I bought and paid for the ClamXAV software.
>
>I asked Marc Allan questions.
>
>He blocked me from Facebook and LinkedIn.

And you think the problem lies with him. You don't realize that the
problem lies with you.

Re: Ping: Apd

<LUjsM.248443$N3_4.218510@fx10.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16850&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#16850

Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac
From: Davi...@nomail.afraid.org (David Brooks)
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 23:22:35 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Fri, 14 Jul 2023 22:22 UTC

On 14/07/2023 21:31, Kelly Phillips wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Jul 2023 15:29:32 +0100, David Brooks
> <David.B@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
>
>> Something isn't right. I bought and paid for the ClamXAV software.
>>
>> I asked Marc Allan questions.
>>
>> He blocked me from Facebook and LinkedIn.
>
> And you think the problem lies with him. You don't realize that the
> problem lies with you.

Yes, I do.

This thread rather confirms matters.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/254995129

"Apple and Microsoft's respective operating systems were originally
conceived and developed completely separately, for use with completely
different hardware, and their evolution has only diverged since their
inception. In recent years Microsoft has made great strides in
protecting its Windows operating system, but owing to macOS's original
concept as a multi-user, multitasking operating system incorporating a
fundamental requirement to keep users separate from one another, it was
never as vulnerable to begin with. With each new release, macOS has only
grown more secure from unauthorized tampering.

It's important to understand the nature of threats that exist today, and
to appreciate the fact that "anti-virus" software peddlers have been
reduced to abject panic as their traditional Windows PC market suffers
its inevitable decline. The cottage industry described in the first
paragraph has since grown to a multi-billion dollar behemoth with
entrenched interests—an enormous beast that demands to be fed. The PC
market's demise has led to a predictable response from them and shills
who represent their interests, asserting that since Macs are rapidly
growing in popularity, they have become just as vulnerable to "viruses"
as PCs, implying an even greater need for the products they sell. It
just isn't so.

What is true is that the growing base of Mac users are being
increasingly targeted and exploited for scams that seek to defraud them
of their hard-earned money. Criminals who seek to do that cannot succeed
without your help. Don't give them the satisfaction."

--
David

Re: Ping: Apd

<0001HW.2A6216090029F91F700002ABC38F@news.supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16851&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#16851

Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 19:47:21 -0400
From: akwolf...@zoho.com (WolfFan)
Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop, uk.comp.sys.mac
References: <VevqM.155985$65y6.25666@fx17.iad> <u8pfph$3nfgn$1@apd.eternal-september.org> <CCXrM.243579$1ZN4.34896@fx12.iad> <MlYrM.45167$Wtn5.41853@fx03.iad> <k1ZrM.305766$65y6.194153@fx17.iad> <TtZrM.57393$_2s1.30484@fx44.iad> <8I1sM.57396$_2s1.136@fx44.iad> <0001HW.2A60F07D0104956370000216738F@news.supernews.com> <k43sM.29412$e0D4.5919@fx06.iad> <0001HW.2A6180BA0006FAE4700006FA438F@news.supernews.com> <gZcsM.65444$zQS.52545@fx41.iad>
 by: WolfFan - Fri, 14 Jul 2023 23:47 UTC

On Jul 14, 2023, David Brooks wrote
(in article <gZcsM.65444$zQS.52545@fx41.iad>):

> On 14/07/2023 14:10, WolfFan *LIED* - again!
>
> > He’s flat-out insane.
>
> Something isn't right. I bought and paid for the ClamXAV software.
>
> I asked Marc Allan questions.
>
> He blocked me from Facebook and LinkedIn.

I certainly would have, if IO were being stalked by a maniac.

> I'm open and honest.

you’re scum. you bailed from the RN to avoid being court-martialed.
> He is not so.

you have failed, spectacularly, to support this.

> https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/feedback/forum/all/where-will-i-find-the-p
> m-mentioned-in-this-email/7f1437f4-47b9-47a2-9de3-8a72da509cd5?
>
> Read here too:-
>
> https://eclecticlight.co/2021/03/16/how-to-slip-unsigned-apps-past-gatekeeper-
> in-big-sur/comment-page-1/?unapproved=58675&moderation-hash=b241d64a4e1faf8d4d
> 2ca88f69278bdd#comment-58675

Why? you’re just being an idiotic, insane, stalker.

Re: Ramnit Trojan on an Apple iMac! (was - Ping: Apd)

<0001HW.2A621755002A46EF700002ABC38F@news.supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16852&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#16852

Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 19:52:53 -0400
From: akwolf...@zoho.com (WolfFan)
Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop, uk.comp.sys.mac
References: <VevqM.155985$65y6.25666@fx17.iad> <u8pfph$3nfgn$1@apd.eternal-september.org> <CCXrM.243579$1ZN4.34896@fx12.iad> <MlYrM.45167$Wtn5.41853@fx03.iad> <k1ZrM.305766$65y6.194153@fx17.iad> <TtZrM.57393$_2s1.30484@fx44.iad> <8I1sM.57396$_2s1.136@fx44.iad> <0001HW.2A60F07D0104956370000216738F@news.supernews.com> <k43sM.29412$e0D4.5919@fx06.iad> <0001HW.2A6180BA0006FAE4700006FA438F@news.supernews.com> <gZcsM.65444$zQS.52545@fx41.iad> <PddsM.65445$zQS.58612@fx41.iad> <e973bi1ct22mu7b8dga5dtmq4924a6356o@4ax.com>
 by: WolfFan - Fri, 14 Jul 2023 23:52 UTC

On Jul 14, 2023, Kelly Phillips wrote
(in article<e973bi1ct22mu7b8dga5dtmq4924a6356o@4ax.com>):

> On Fri, 14 Jul 2023 15:47:11 +0100, David Brooks
> <David.B@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
>
> > On 14/07/2023 15:29, David Brooks wrote:
> > > On 14/07/2023 14:10, WolfFan *LIED* - again!

> > > Something isn't right. I bought and paid for the ClamXAV software.
> >
> > [....]
> >
> > *Read here too*:-
> >
> > I'm so glad I kept a record of these things!
> >
> > Any comments?
>
> Nothing that you haven't heard before, nothing that you want to hear.
>
> Your kind of insanity has no upside.

He keeps on, and on,and on, doing the same crap. he gets thrown out of forum
after forum... but somehow it’s never because of anything that _he_ did.

He’s insane. and an idiot.

Re: Ramnit Trojan on an Apple iMac! (was - Ping: Apd)

<u8srpp$5t43$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16853&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#16853

From: poth...@snakebite.com (pothead)
Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2023 01:12:25 -0000 (UTC)
<CCXrM.243579$1ZN4.34896@fx12.iad> <MlYrM.45167$Wtn5.41853@fx03.iad>
<k1ZrM.305766$65y6.194153@fx17.iad> <TtZrM.57393$_2s1.30484@fx44.iad>
<8I1sM.57396$_2s1.136@fx44.iad>
<0001HW.2A60F07D0104956370000216738F@news.supernews.com>
<k43sM.29412$e0D4.5919@fx06.iad>
<0001HW.2A6180BA0006FAE4700006FA438F@news.supernews.com>
<gZcsM.65444$zQS.52545@fx41.iad> <PddsM.65445$zQS.58612@fx41.iad>
<e973bi1ct22mu7b8dga5dtmq4924a6356o@4ax.com>
<0001HW.2A621755002A46EF700002ABC38F@news.supernews.com>
 by: pothead - Sat, 15 Jul 2023 01:12 UTC

On 2023-07-14, WolfFan <akwolffan@zoho.com> wrote:
> On Jul 14, 2023, Kelly Phillips wrote
> (in article<e973bi1ct22mu7b8dga5dtmq4924a6356o@4ax.com>):
>
>> On Fri, 14 Jul 2023 15:47:11 +0100, David Brooks
>> <David.B@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:

>> > [....]
>> >
>> > *Read here too*:-
>> >
>> > I'm so glad I kept a record of these things!
>> >
>> > Any comments?
>>
>> Nothing that you haven't heard before, nothing that you want to hear.
>>
>> Your kind of insanity has no upside.
>
> He keeps on, and on,and on, doing the same crap. he gets thrown out of forum
> after forum... but somehow it’s never because of anything that _he_ did.
>
> He’s insane. and an idiot.

That sounds a lot like snit Michael Glasser.

--
pothead
Tommy Chong For President 2024.