19 May, 2024: Line wrapping has been changed to be more consistent with Usenet standards.

aus+uk / aus.cars / Re: Backfiring

SubjectAuthor
* BackfiringTrevor Wilson
+* Re: BackfiringNoddy
|+- Re: BackfiringXeno
|`- Re: BackfiringClocky
+* Re: BackfiringDaryl
|`* Re: Backfiringjonz
| `* Re: BackfiringDaryl
|  `* Re: BackfiringNoddy
|   `* Re: BackfiringXeno
|    `* Re: Backfiringjonz
|     `* Re: BackfiringNoddy
|      `* Re: BackfiringDaryl
|       +* Re: BackfiringNoddy
|       |+* Re: BackfiringXeno
|       ||`- Re: Backfiringjonz
|       |`- Re: BackfiringXeno
|       `- Re: Backfiringalvey
+* Re: Backfiringalvey
|`* Re: BackfiringTrevor Wilson
| +* Re: BackfiringNoddy
| |`- Re: BackfiringXeno
| +* Re: Backfiringalvey
| |`- Re: BackfiringTrevor Wilson
| `* Re: BackfiringDaryl
|  +* Re: Backfiringjonz
|  |`- Re: BackfiringNoddy
|  `* Re: BackfiringClocky
|   +* Re: Backfiringjonz
|   |`* Re: BackfiringNoddy
|   | `- Re: BackfiringClocky
|   `* Re: Backfiringalvey
|    +- Re: BackfiringXeno
|    `* Re: BackfiringClocky
|     `- Re: Backfiringalvey
`- Re: BackfiringClocky

Pages:12
Backfiring

<johmjcF8v3uU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18501&group=aus.cars#18501

From: tre...@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Subject: Backfiring
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 08:17:16 +1000
 by: Trevor Wilson - Thu, 15 Sep 2022 22:17 UTC

I was out walking the other night and heard a moron accelerating up a
gentle rise, then backing off, causing the car to 'backfire'. He/she did
so at least a dozen times, as I could still hear the explosions when the
driver was at least 1km away. So, it wa clearly deliberate. AFAICT it
appeared to be a late model V8 Merc. Questions:

* Would the car have been modified to do this?

* Why would anyone perform such a modification (assuming they did)?

* Are such modifications legal (Ie: do they circumvent pollution
controls - I assume they do)

* Can backfiring damage the engine?

Re: Backfiring

<tg0b25$3eknn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18503&group=aus.cars#18503

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Subject: Re: Backfiring
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 09:04:35 +1000
 by: Noddy - Thu, 15 Sep 2022 23:04 UTC

On 16/09/2022 8:17 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> I was out walking the other night and heard a moron accelerating up a
> gentle rise, then backing off, causing the car to 'backfire'. He/she did
> so at least a dozen times, as I could still hear the explosions when the
> driver was at least 1km away. So, it wa clearly deliberate. AFAICT it
> appeared to be a late model V8 Merc. Questions:
>
> * Would the car have been modified to do this?

Most likely, but not to backfire specifically.

The engine is/was most likely modified to make more power, and the
backfiring is a consequence of that. It's actually the same phenomena as
when you see some race cars blow a little bit of flame out their pipes
when they're braking for a corner. A high manifold vacuum state combined
with a big overlap cam and an overly rich fuel mixture means unburnt
fuel gets blown out of the exhaust port and into the pipe where it gets
ignited by the heat of the pipe itself.

In race applications it presents as a flame shoot. In street cars with
closed exhaust systems it presents as a backfire as the fuel ignites
within the confines of the muffled exhaust system.

> * Why would anyone perform such a modification (assuming they did)?

To make more power. I doubt anyone would modify their vehicles
specifically to make it backfire.

> * Are such modifications legal (Ie: do they circumvent pollution
> controls - I assume they do)

Generally any modification that changes the vehicle's emissions output
is illegal, and this kind of modification would certainly be.

> * Can backfiring damage the engine?

No, but it can blow the exhaust system off the car in extreme cases.

Back in the days of GT Falcons being very common cars on our roads, the
Phase III GTHO was fitted with a rev limiter that kicked in at 6150rpm.
Now, anyone who's driven a phase III would know that the engine can go
from 4000 to 6150 in first gear *very* quickly at wide open throttle,
and when it did the ignition would be cut for a second or so until the
engine span back down to a point under the 6150 cut-off and the ignition
system would re-light.

The problem would be that during that second or so of dead engine
rotation the carburettor would have dumped a shit-tonne of petrol into
the engine which would be blown straight into the exhaust system in raw,
unburnt state and as soon as the ignition system fired again the
following stream of hot exhaust gas would often ignite the whole lot and
blow the muffler open along it's seam from end to end.

It happened fairly regularly, which is why most people disabled their
rev limiters.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: Backfiring

<johq0cF9en1U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18504&group=aus.cars#18504

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 09:15:23 +1000
 by: Daryl - Thu, 15 Sep 2022 23:15 UTC

On 16/9/2022 8:17 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> I was out walking the other night and heard a moron accelerating up a
> gentle rise, then backing off, causing the car to 'backfire'. He/she did
> so at least a dozen times, as I could still hear the explosions when the
> driver was at least 1km away. So, it wa clearly deliberate. AFAICT it
> appeared to be a late model V8 Merc. Questions:
>
> * Would the car have been modified to do this?

Very likely, back before cars had steering locks you could sometimes
make an engine backfire by turning the key of and on, not a great plan
as it can damage the exhaust like in Noddy's GT Falcon example.

> * Why would anyone perform such a modification (assuming they did)?

Most likely as a side effect of a modification to increase power, IMHO
not a clever idea on a street car.
Most likely done for the wank "look at me" factor.

> * Are such modifications legal (Ie: do they circumvent pollution
> controls - I assume they do)

Unlikely to be legal.

> * Can backfiring damage the engine?

Most likely no.

--
Daryl

Re: Backfiring

<5QOUK.155777$51Rb.115307@fx45.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18506&group=aus.cars#18506

Newsgroups: aus.cars
From: Patty.O....@Coast.org (alvey)
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2022 23:47:13 GMT
 by: alvey - Thu, 15 Sep 2022 23:47 UTC

Trevor Wilson <trevor@rageaudio.com.au> wrote in news:johmjcF8v3uU1
@mid.individual.net:

> I was out walking the other night and heard a moron accelerating up a
> gentle rise, then backing off, causing the car to 'backfire'. He/she did
> so at least a dozen times, as I could still hear the explosions when the
> driver was at least 1km away. So, it wa clearly deliberate. AFAICT it
> appeared to be a late model V8 Merc.

Watch it Wilson! Having a bit of a punt in a quality performance vehicle
does not a moron make.

And if you want to have a whinge about noise then there's a standout
candidate in this field. Harley-Fucking-Davidsons. Now that the way for my
ascension to Beloved Leader has begun with Lizzy finally shuffling off, one
of my first decrees will be that these monstrously flatulent health hazards
are to be melted down and converted into something useful.

alvey

Re: Backfiring

<joht4cF9n8lU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18509&group=aus.cars#18509

From: tre...@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 10:08:44 +1000
 by: Trevor Wilson - Fri, 16 Sep 2022 00:08 UTC

On 16/09/2022 9:47 am, alvey wrote:
> Trevor Wilson <trevor@rageaudio.com.au> wrote in news:johmjcF8v3uU1
> @mid.individual.net:
>
>> I was out walking the other night and heard a moron accelerating up a
>> gentle rise, then backing off, causing the car to 'backfire'. He/she did
>> so at least a dozen times, as I could still hear the explosions when the
>> driver was at least 1km away. So, it wa clearly deliberate. AFAICT it
>> appeared to be a late model V8 Merc.
>
> Watch it Wilson! Having a bit of a punt in a quality performance vehicle
> does not a moron make.

**Never said it did. Making a car backfire a dozen times in 1.5km does.

> And if you want to have a whinge about noise then there's a standout
> candidate in this field. Harley-Fucking-Davidsons. Now that the way for my
> ascension to Beloved Leader has begun with Lizzy finally shuffling off, one
> of my first decrees will be that these monstrously flatulent health hazards
> are to be melted down and converted into something useful.

**You're on the money with Harleys. Fucking noisy damned things. Yeah,
they should be melted down to make something useful. Like Ducatis. Now a
Ducati is a REAL motorbike that sounds decent.

Re: Backfiring

<tg0kuu$3i5cl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18515&group=aus.cars#18515

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 11:53:30 +1000
 by: Noddy - Fri, 16 Sep 2022 01:53 UTC

On 16/09/2022 10:08 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> On 16/09/2022 9:47 am, alvey wrote:

>>> I was out walking the other night and heard a moron accelerating up a
>>> gentle rise, then backing off, causing the car to 'backfire'. He/she did
>>> so at least a dozen times, as I could still hear the explosions when the
>>> driver was at least 1km away. So, it wa clearly deliberate. AFAICT it
>>> appeared to be a late model V8 Merc.
>>
>> Watch it Wilson! Having a bit of a punt in a quality performance vehicle
>> does not a moron make.

> **Never said it did. Making a car backfire a dozen times in 1.5km does.

A Benz can be every bit as much as a Bogun wank mobile as any other car.
Just look at Alvey, and his carry on with that thing he claims to own :)

>> And if you want to have a whinge about noise then there's a standout
>> candidate in this field. Harley-Fucking-Davidsons. Now that the way
>> for my
>> ascension to Beloved Leader has begun with Lizzy finally shuffling
>> off, one
>> of my first decrees will be that these monstrously flatulent health
>> hazards
>> are to be melted down and converted into something useful.
>
> **You're on the money with Harleys. Fucking noisy damned things. Yeah,
> they should be melted down to make something useful. Like Ducatis. Now a
> Ducati is a REAL motorbike that sounds decent.

ROTFL :) Here's a tip Trev. If it's made in Italy, the only thing "real'
about it is that it is guauranted to be an unreliable pig. If you want a
"real" bike, buy something Made in Japan :)

There is nothing wrong with Harley Davidsons. As far as "cruiser" bikes
go they're one of the best you can get. They don't come from the factory
noisy. There *is*, however, a *lot* wrong with some of the people who
own them and think they need to be noisy. Just like there is something
wrong with some of the retards who drive German pocket rockets that
think it's their right to annoy the cunt out of everyone in the
neighbourhood by making as much noise as possible when they have to slow
down to negotiate speed humps.

They're mental midgets. All of them. Regardless of their choice of ride.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: Backfiring

<tg0l41$3f63c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18516&group=aus.cars#18516

From: jon...@overthere.com (jonz)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 11:56:21 +1000
 by: jonz - Fri, 16 Sep 2022 01:56 UTC

On 9/16/2022 9:15 AM, Daryl wrote:
> On 16/9/2022 8:17 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
>> I was out walking the other night and heard a moron accelerating up a
>> gentle rise, then backing off, causing the car to 'backfire'. He/she
>> did so at least a dozen times, as I could still hear the explosions
>> when the driver was at least 1km away. So, it wa clearly deliberate.
>> AFAICT it appeared to be a late model V8 Merc. Questions:
>>
>> * Would the car have been modified to do this?
>
> Very likely, back before cars had steering locks you could sometimes
> make an engine backfire by turning the key of and on, not a great plan
> as it can damage the exhaust like in Noddy's GT Falcon example.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My `28 Chev. had the advance/retard control mounted on the steering
column. Going down a hill on the overrun I could shift the lever to full
retard and the resulting noise would terrify old ladies and make dogs
shit themselves.
Great source of amusement for a 15yr old. ;)

>> * Why would anyone perform such a modification (assuming they did)?
>
> Most likely as a side effect of a modification to increase power, IMHO
> not a clever idea on a street car.
> Most likely done for the wank "look at me" factor.
>>
>> * Are such modifications legal (Ie: do they circumvent pollution
>> controls - I assume they do)
>
> Unlikely to be legal.
>>
>> * Can backfiring damage the engine?
>>

> Most likely no.

Re: Backfiring

<ERQUK.291856$SAT4.72616@fx13.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18518&group=aus.cars#18518

Newsgroups: aus.cars
From: Patty.O....@Coast.org (alvey)
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 02:05:24 GMT
 by: alvey - Fri, 16 Sep 2022 02:05 UTC

> On 16/09/2022 9:47 am, alvey wrote:
>> Trevor Wilson <trevor@rageaudio.com.au> wrote in news:johmjcF8v3uU1
>> @mid.individual.net:
>>
>>> I was out walking the other night and heard a moron accelerating up
>>> a gentle rise, then backing off, causing the car to 'backfire'.
>>> He/she did so at least a dozen times, as I could still hear the
>>> explosions when the driver was at least 1km away. So, it wa clearly
>>> deliberate. AFAICT it appeared to be a late model V8 Merc.
>>
>> Watch it Wilson! Having a bit of a punt in a quality performance
>> vehicle does not a moron make.
>
> **Never said it did. Making a car backfire a dozen times in 1.5km
> does.
>

>> And if you want to have a whinge about noise then there's a standout
>> candidate in this field. Harley-Fucking-Davidsons. Now that the way
>> for my ascension to Beloved Leader has begun with Lizzy finally
>> shuffling off, one of my first decrees will be that these monstrously
>> flatulent health hazards are to be melted down and converted into
>> something useful.
>
> **You're on the money with Harleys. Fucking noisy damned things. Yeah,
> they should be melted down to make something useful. Like Ducatis. Now
> a Ducati is a REAL motorbike that sounds decent.

Once Upon A Time In A Galaxy Far Far Ago, I was out in the deep
countryside in a picturesque pine forest. For a reason forgotten I was
out of the car, which was stopped next to the road, with the only sounds
being those of the local feathers. Suddenly, this howling sound
approached and a red blur of Ducati went rushing past and disappeared
into the distance. The sound lingering much longer than the sight. That
was about 40 years ago but I can hear it still. Magnificent. It would
have inspired Mozart.

alvey

Re: Backfiring

<joi407Faqd1U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18519&group=aus.cars#18519

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 12:05:59 +1000
 by: Daryl - Fri, 16 Sep 2022 02:05 UTC

On 16/9/2022 10:08 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> On 16/09/2022 9:47 am, alvey wrote:
>> Trevor Wilson <trevor@rageaudio.com.au> wrote in news:johmjcF8v3uU1
>> @mid.individual.net:
>>
>>> I was out walking the other night and heard a moron accelerating up a
>>> gentle rise, then backing off, causing the car to 'backfire'. He/she did
>>> so at least a dozen times, as I could still hear the explosions when the
>>> driver was at least 1km away. So, it wa clearly deliberate. AFAICT it
>>> appeared to be a late model V8 Merc.
>>
>> Watch it Wilson! Having a bit of a punt in a quality performance vehicle
>> does not a moron make.
>
> **Never said it did. Making a car backfire a dozen times in 1.5km does.

Agree and unnecessary on a street driven car, the MB E500 my son used to
own had a 5.5lt V8 which made 285kw, plenty of grunt with a stock
exhaust which was quiet at low rpm but sounded very nice when you opened
it up.
My Boxster has a modified exhaust, at normal legal driving speeds its
not noisy but at higher rpm its sounds amazing, makes very sweet music
with the top down at 7000rpm:-)

>> And if you want to have a whinge about noise then there's a standout
>> candidate in this field. Harley-Fucking-Davidsons. Now that the way
>> for my
>> ascension to Beloved Leader has begun with Lizzy finally shuffling
>> off, one
>> of my first decrees will be that these monstrously flatulent health
>> hazards
>> are to be melted down and converted into something useful.
>
> **You're on the money with Harleys. Fucking noisy damned things. Yeah,
> they should be melted down to make something useful. Like Ducatis. Now a
> Ducati is a REAL motorbike that sounds decent.

The problem isn't with Harleys in stock form, its the owners who modify
the exhausts, seems like a very high percentage are modified.
Their reasoning is that its safer for them because car drivers can hear
them.
I've never ridden a Harley but many people that have tell me that they
are the limousine of motorcycles, very comfortable cruisers and when
stock no noisier than any other motorcycle.

--
Daryl

Re: Backfiring

<joi6d8Fbaf4U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18524&group=aus.cars#18524

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 12:47:00 +1000
 by: Xeno - Fri, 16 Sep 2022 02:47 UTC

On 16/9/2022 9:04 am, Noddy wrote:
> On 16/09/2022 8:17 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
>> I was out walking the other night and heard a moron accelerating up a
>> gentle rise, then backing off, causing the car to 'backfire'. He/she
>> did so at least a dozen times, as I could still hear the explosions
>> when the driver was at least 1km away. So, it wa clearly deliberate.
>> AFAICT it appeared to be a late model V8 Merc. Questions:
>>
>> * Would the car have been modified to do this?
>
> Most likely, but not to backfire specifically.
>
> The engine is/was most likely modified to make more power, and the
> backfiring is a consequence of that. It's actually the same phenomena as
> when you see some race cars blow a little bit of flame out their pipes
> when they're braking for a corner. A high manifold vacuum state combined
> with a big overlap cam and an overly rich fuel mixture means unburnt
> fuel gets blown out of the exhaust port and into the pipe where it gets
> ignited by the heat of the pipe itself.

Ahem Darren, the car in question is *fuel injected*. Do you know the
implications of that? I'll give you a hint: fuel injector cut-off! FFS
Darren, you're still living in the pre-90s world of *carburettors*.
Ancient history - and you don't even understand them!

FWIW, the most common cause of a *modern* engine backfiring is fuel
mixture enleanment. Yes Darren, not a rich mixture, a lean mixture. If
for any reason the fuel mixture becomes lean beyond a certain ratio, the
chances of a *misfire* increase. Whether that be on one cylinder
regularly or on all cylinders randomly, the effect will be the same,
unburnt fuel will end up in the *exhaust system*. Typically the first
port of call for said fuel is the CAT. That's bad since backfiring in
there *WILL* lead to *expensive* damage. And it's likely to since the
cat runs 400C to operate correctly. Even if the engine isn't backfiring,
a lean mixture causing unburnt fuel to enter the cat *will damage* it
since it will burn inside the cat itself and, in turn, cause the cat to
overheat. Lean misfires can be caused by a number of issues; vacuum
leaks, EGR valve leaks, low fuel pressure, dirty injectors and more. A
single misfiring cylinder can push the cat's temperature well above the
normal operating range.

The other primary cause of backfiring is an *ignition* misfire.
Typically you would be looking at a spark plug misfire, a bad COP, bad
leads, etc. Anther cause could be a leaking exhaust valve. An overly
rich AF mixture caused by a leaking fuel injector or bad O2 sensor could
also cause rich mixtures. Regardless, you end up with raw unburnt fuel
getting into the exhaust system and that will overheat and damage the cat.

You would be looking at DTCs in the P0420 and P0430 ranges, as a start
point. Then look into P0150, P0160 and P0170 ranges for elaboration.

> In race applications it presents as a flame shoot. In street cars with
> closed exhaust systems it presents as a backfire as the fuel ignites
> within the confines of the muffled exhaust system.
>
>> * Why would anyone perform such a modification (assuming they did)?
>
> To make more power. I doubt anyone would modify their vehicles
> specifically to make it backfire.

Some actually do Darren. After all, there are lots of wankers just like
you out there.

>> * Are such modifications legal (Ie: do they circumvent pollution
>> controls - I assume they do)
>
> Generally any modification that changes the vehicle's emissions output
> is illegal, and this kind of modification would certainly be.
>
>> * Can backfiring damage the engine?
>
> No, but it can blow the exhaust system off the car in extreme cases.

What a load of bullshit! *Any backfiring* in a cat equipped fuel
injected engine *is going to damage the cat* or is symptomatic of a
fault that needs to be rectified. I see why you didn't qualify for any
apprenticeship ever Darren!

> Back in the days of GT Falcons being very common cars on our roads, the
> Phase III GTHO was fitted with a rev limiter that kicked in at 6150rpm.
> Now, anyone who's driven a phase III would know that the engine can go
> from 4000 to 6150 in first gear *very* quickly at wide open throttle,
> and when it did the ignition would be cut for a second or so until the
> engine span back down to a point under the 6150 cut-off and the ignition
> system would re-light.

Ancient history Darren! Bears no *relevance* to a *current V8 Benz* so
just piss off with your bullshit!

> The problem would be that during that second or so of dead engine
> rotation the carburettor would have dumped a shit-tonne of petrol into
> the engine which would be blown straight into the exhaust system in raw,
> unburnt state and as soon as the ignition system fired again the
> following stream of hot exhaust gas would often ignite the whole lot and
> blow the muffler open along it's seam from end to end.

Sounds like a very good reason for the rejection of carburettors and the
widescale adoption of *fuel injection* to me. Cut the ignition *and* the
fuel, problem solved. ;-) Oh, hang on, They did just that!

Carburettors are just so last century!

> It happened fairly regularly, which is why most people disabled their
> rev limiters.

You're living in the past Darren. You have no clue about anything
current so best you stay out of it.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: Backfiring

<joi6i5Fbaf4U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18526&group=aus.cars#18526

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 12:49:40 +1000
 by: Xeno - Fri, 16 Sep 2022 02:49 UTC

On 16/9/2022 11:53 am, Noddy wrote:

>>> Watch it Wilson! Having a bit of a punt in a quality performance vehicle
>>> does not a moron make.
>
>> **Never said it did. Making a car backfire a dozen times in 1.5km does.
>
> A Benz can be every bit as much as a Bogun wank mobile as any other car.
> Just look at Alvey, and his carry on with that thing he claims to own :)
>
>>> And if you want to have a whinge about noise then there's a standout
>>> candidate in this field. Harley-Fucking-Davidsons. Now that the way
>>> for my
>>> ascension to Beloved Leader has begun with Lizzy finally shuffling
>>> off, one
>>> of my first decrees will be that these monstrously flatulent health
>>> hazards
>>> are to be melted down and converted into something useful.
>>
>> **You're on the money with Harleys. Fucking noisy damned things. Yeah,
>> they should be melted down to make something useful. Like Ducatis. Now
>> a Ducati is a REAL motorbike that sounds decent.
>
> ROTFL :) Here's a tip Trev. If it's made in Italy, the only thing "real'
> about it is that it is guauranted to be an unreliable pig. If you want a
> "real" bike, buy something Made in Japan :)
>
> There is nothing wrong with Harley Davidsons. As far as "cruiser" bikes
> go they're one of the best you can get. They don't come from the factory
> noisy. There *is*, however, a *lot* wrong with some of the people who
> own them and think they need to be noisy. Just like there is something
> wrong with some of the retards who drive German pocket rockets that
> think it's their right to annoy the cunt out of everyone in the
> neighbourhood by making as much noise as possible when they have to slow
> down to negotiate speed humps.
>
> They're mental midgets. All of them. Regardless of their choice of ride.

What about those *mental midgets* who pretend to be trade qualified just
for kudos in an automotive newsgroup? Mental midgets like *YOU*.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: Backfiring

<joi6ijFb9njU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18527&group=aus.cars#18527

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 12:49:55 +1000
 by: Daryl - Fri, 16 Sep 2022 02:49 UTC

On 16/9/2022 11:56 am, jonz wrote:
> On 9/16/2022 9:15 AM, Daryl wrote:
>> On 16/9/2022 8:17 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
>>> I was out walking the other night and heard a moron accelerating up a
>>> gentle rise, then backing off, causing the car to 'backfire'. He/she
>>> did so at least a dozen times, as I could still hear the explosions
>>> when the driver was at least 1km away. So, it wa clearly deliberate.
>>> AFAICT it appeared to be a late model V8 Merc. Questions:
>>>
>>> * Would the car have been modified to do this?
>>
>> Very likely, back before cars had steering locks you could sometimes
>> make an engine backfire by turning the key of and on, not a great plan
>> as it can damage the exhaust like in Noddy's GT Falcon example.
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> My `28 Chev. had the advance/retard control mounted on the steering
> column. Going down a hill on the overrun I could shift the lever to full
> retard and the resulting noise would terrify old ladies and make dogs
> shit themselves.
>  Great source of amusement for a 15yr old. ;)

LOL.

--
Daryl

Re: Backfiring

<tg0sc6$3f63c$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18529&group=aus.cars#18529

From: jon...@overthere.com (jonz)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 14:00:10 +1000
 by: jonz - Fri, 16 Sep 2022 04:00 UTC

On 9/16/2022 12:05 PM, Daryl wrote:
> On 16/9/2022 10:08 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
>> On 16/09/2022 9:47 am, alvey wrote:
>>> Trevor Wilson <trevor@rageaudio.com.au> wrote in news:johmjcF8v3uU1
>>> @mid.individual.net:

>>> Watch it Wilson! Having a bit of a punt in a quality performance vehicle
>>> does not a moron make.
>>
>> **Never said it did. Making a car backfire a dozen times in 1.5km does.
>
> Agree and unnecessary on a street driven car, the MB E500 my son used to
> own had a 5.5lt V8 which made 285kw, plenty of grunt with a stock
> exhaust which was quiet at low rpm but sounded very nice when you opened
> it up.
> My Boxster has a modified exhaust, at normal legal driving speeds its
> not noisy but at higher rpm its sounds amazing, makes very sweet music
> with the top down at 7000rpm:-)
>>

>>> And if you want to have a whinge about noise then there's a standout
>>> candidate in this field. Harley-Fucking-Davidsons. Now that the way
>>> for my
>>> ascension to Beloved Leader has begun with Lizzy finally shuffling
>>> off, one
>>> of my first decrees will be that these monstrously flatulent health
>>> hazards
>>> are to be melted down and converted into something useful.
>>
>> **You're on the money with Harleys. Fucking noisy damned things. Yeah,
>> they should be melted down to make something useful. Like Ducatis. Now
>> a Ducati is a REAL motorbike that sounds decent.
>>

> The problem isn't with Harleys in stock form, its the owners who modify
> the exhausts, seems like a very high percentage are modified.
> Their reasoning is that its safer for them because car drivers can hear
> them.
> I've never ridden a Harley but many people that have tell me that they
> are the limousine of motorcycles, very comfortable cruisers and when
> stock no noisier than any other motorcycle.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
HEH, Luxo barges!...;)

Re: Backfiring

<tg112u$3jb5j$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18543&group=aus.cars#18543

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 15:20:29 +1000
 by: Noddy - Fri, 16 Sep 2022 05:20 UTC

On 16/09/2022 2:00 pm, jonz wrote:
> On 9/16/2022 12:05 PM, Daryl wrote:

>> I've never ridden a Harley but many people that have tell me that they
>> are the limousine of motorcycles, very comfortable cruisers and when
>> stock no noisier than any other motorcycle.
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>  HEH, Luxo barges!...;)

They are. They're big soft, floaty cruisers. But then that's what
they're designed to be and they do it well. The people who criticise
them for it don't seem to get that fact.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: Backfiring

<tg115a$3jb5j$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18544&group=aus.cars#18544

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 15:21:45 +1000
 by: Noddy - Fri, 16 Sep 2022 05:21 UTC

On 16/09/2022 12:49 pm, Daryl wrote:
> On 16/9/2022 11:56 am, jonz wrote:

>>> Very likely, back before cars had steering locks you could sometimes
>>> make an engine backfire by turning the key of and on, not a great
>>> plan as it can damage the exhaust like in Noddy's GT Falcon example.
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>
>> My `28 Chev. had the advance/retard control mounted on the steering
>> column. Going down a hill on the overrun I could shift the lever to
>> full retard and the resulting noise would terrify old ladies and make
>> dogs shit themselves.
>>   Great source of amusement for a 15yr old. ;)
>
> LOL.

I wonder if the car Trevor saw/heard was anything like this?

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60fMaE5KVeM

Just a late model injected engine dumping a heap of unburnt fuel
straight into the exhaust system :)

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: Backfiring

<joigesFcp30U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18545&group=aus.cars#18545

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 15:38:33 +1000
 by: Xeno - Fri, 16 Sep 2022 05:38 UTC

On 16/9/2022 3:21 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 16/09/2022 12:49 pm, Daryl wrote:

>>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>>
>>> My `28 Chev. had the advance/retard control mounted on the steering
>>> column. Going down a hill on the overrun I could shift the lever to
>>> full retard and the resulting noise would terrify old ladies and make
>>> dogs shit themselves.
>>>   Great source of amusement for a 15yr old. ;)
>>
>> LOL.
>
> I wonder if the car Trevor saw/heard was anything like this?
>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60fMaE5KVeM
>
> Just a late model injected engine dumping a heap of unburnt fuel
> straight into the exhaust system :)

Ah, no it isn't Darren. It's a finely tuned engine revving. If it were
dumping a heap of unburnt fuel into the exhaust system it wouldn't be
allowed on the road. As well, it would cook up the cat and then throw a
shitload of DTCs. So, no, it isn'r what you *imagine* it to be.

Nice try but you failed, again, loser!

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: Backfiring

<joih72FcrflU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18546&group=aus.cars#18546

From: tre...@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 15:51:31 +1000
 by: Trevor Wilson - Fri, 16 Sep 2022 05:51 UTC

On 16/09/2022 12:05 pm, alvey wrote:
> Trevor Wilson <trevor@rageaudio.com.au> wrote in
>
>> On 16/09/2022 9:47 am, alvey wrote:
>>> Trevor Wilson <trevor@rageaudio.com.au> wrote in news:johmjcF8v3uU1
>>> @mid.individual.net:

>>> Watch it Wilson! Having a bit of a punt in a quality performance
>>> vehicle does not a moron make.
>>
>> **Never said it did. Making a car backfire a dozen times in 1.5km
>> does.
>>

>>> And if you want to have a whinge about noise then there's a standout
>>> candidate in this field. Harley-Fucking-Davidsons. Now that the way
>>> for my ascension to Beloved Leader has begun with Lizzy finally
>>> shuffling off, one of my first decrees will be that these monstrously
>>> flatulent health hazards are to be melted down and converted into
>>> something useful.
>>
>> **You're on the money with Harleys. Fucking noisy damned things. Yeah,
>> they should be melted down to make something useful. Like Ducatis. Now
>> a Ducati is a REAL motorbike that sounds decent.
>
> Once Upon A Time In A Galaxy Far Far Ago, I was out in the deep
> countryside in a picturesque pine forest. For a reason forgotten I was
> out of the car, which was stopped next to the road, with the only sounds
> being those of the local feathers. Suddenly, this howling sound
> approached and a red blur of Ducati went rushing past and disappeared
> into the distance. The sound lingering much longer than the sight. That
> was about 40 years ago but I can hear it still. Magnificent. It would
> have inspired Mozart.

**Dunno if it's that Desmodronic system or the exhaust, but Ducatis have
always had a distinctive sound (in a good way).

Re: Backfiring

<tg183h$3knj7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18556&group=aus.cars#18556

From: notgo...@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 15:20:12 +0800
 by: Clocky - Fri, 16 Sep 2022 07:20 UTC

On 16/09/2022 6:17 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> I was out walking the other night and heard a moron accelerating up a
> gentle rise, then backing off, causing the car to 'backfire'. He/she did
> so at least a dozen times, as I could still hear the explosions when the
> driver was at least 1km away. So, it wa clearly deliberate. AFAICT it
> appeared to be a late model V8 Merc. Questions:
>
> * Would the car have been modified to do this?

Possibly turbo anti-lag. Google it.
Need more information to know for sure.

> * Why would anyone perform such a modification (assuming they did)?

If they modified it it's likely to make noise and to get attention,
which it did.

> * Are such modifications legal (Ie: do they circumvent pollution
> controls - I assume they do)

No they won't be legal.

> * Can backfiring damage the engine?

It can certainly damage the cat, turbo and other parts of the exhaust
system.

--
keith on the 7 Oct 2021 wrote;
"He asserts that the claim is true, so, if

Re: Backfiring

<tg18fa$3knoe$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18557&group=aus.cars#18557

From: notgo...@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 15:26:36 +0800
 by: Clocky - Fri, 16 Sep 2022 07:26 UTC

On 16/09/2022 7:04 am, Noddy wrote:
> On 16/09/2022 8:17 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
>> I was out walking the other night and heard a moron accelerating up a
>> gentle rise, then backing off, causing the car to 'backfire'. He/she
>> did so at least a dozen times, as I could still hear the explosions
>> when the driver was at least 1km away. So, it wa clearly deliberate.
>> AFAICT it appeared to be a late model V8 Merc. Questions:
>>
>> * Would the car have been modified to do this?
>
> Most likely, but not to backfire specifically.
>
> The engine is/was most likely modified to make more power, and the
> backfiring is a consequence of that. It's actually the same phenomena as
> when you see some race cars blow a little bit of flame out their pipes
> when they're braking for a corner. A high manifold vacuum state combined
> with a big overlap cam and an overly rich fuel mixture means unburnt
> fuel gets blown out of the exhaust port and into the pipe where it gets
> ignited by the heat of the pipe itself.
>
> In race applications it presents as a flame shoot. In street cars with
> closed exhaust systems it presents as a backfire as the fuel ignites
> within the confines of the muffled exhaust system.

Oh give it up you clueless idiot. It can be caused by rich *or* lean
mixtures.

>> * Why would anyone perform such a modification (assuming they did)?
>
> To make more power. I doubt anyone would modify their vehicles
> specifically to make it backfire.
>
>> * Are such modifications legal (Ie: do they circumvent pollution
>> controls - I assume they do)
>
> Generally any modification that changes the vehicle's emissions output
> is illegal, and this kind of modification would certainly be.
>
>> * Can backfiring damage the engine?
>
> No, but it can blow the exhaust system off the car in extreme cases.
>
> Back in the days of GT Falcons being very common cars on our roads

Snip completely irrelevant waffle. Hey dickhead, it's not the 70's
anymore. EFI happened, turbos happened, qualifications happened, Metric
Jeeps happened. You missed all of it and it fucking shows.

--
keith on the 7 Oct 2021 wrote;
"He asserts that the claim is true, so, if
it is unproven, he is lying."

Re: Backfiring

<tg18qn$3knoe$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18558&group=aus.cars#18558

From: notgo...@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 15:32:41 +0800
 by: Clocky - Fri, 16 Sep 2022 07:32 UTC

On 16/09/2022 10:05 am, Daryl wrote:
> On 16/9/2022 10:08 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
>> On 16/09/2022 9:47 am, alvey wrote:
>>> Trevor Wilson <trevor@rageaudio.com.au> wrote in news:johmjcF8v3uU1
>>> @mid.individual.net:

>>> Watch it Wilson! Having a bit of a punt in a quality performance vehicle
>>> does not a moron make.
>>
>> **Never said it did. Making a car backfire a dozen times in 1.5km does.
>
> Agree and unnecessary on a street driven car, the MB E500 my son used to
> own had a 5.5lt V8 which made 285kw, plenty of grunt with a stock
> exhaust which was quiet at low rpm but sounded very nice when you opened
> it up.
> My Boxster has a modified exhaust, at normal legal driving speeds its
> not noisy but at higher rpm its sounds amazing, makes very sweet music
> with the top down at 7000rpm:-)
>>

>>> And if you want to have a whinge about noise then there's a standout
>>> candidate in this field. Harley-Fucking-Davidsons. Now that the way
>>> for my
>>> ascension to Beloved Leader has begun with Lizzy finally shuffling
>>> off, one
>>> of my first decrees will be that these monstrously flatulent health
>>> hazards
>>> are to be melted down and converted into something useful.
>>
>> **You're on the money with Harleys. Fucking noisy damned things. Yeah,
>> they should be melted down to make something useful. Like Ducatis. Now
>> a Ducati is a REAL motorbike that sounds decent.
>>

> The problem isn't with Harleys in stock form, its the owners who modify
> the exhausts, seems like a very high percentage are modified.
> Their reasoning is that its safer for them because car drivers can hear
> them.

That's pure BS.

> I've never ridden a Harley but many people that have tell me that they
> are the limousine of motorcycles, very comfortable cruisers and when
> stock no noisier than any other motorcycle.

lol, well they are cruisers - as long as you're going in a straight
line. Unfortunately they are all modified to be noisy. The Noddy types
want to get noticed.

--
keith on the 7 Oct 2021 wrote;
"He asserts that the claim is true, so, if
it is unproven, he is lying."

Re: Backfiring

<tg1o5b$3f63c$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18570&group=aus.cars#18570

From: jon...@overthere.com (jonz)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 21:54:22 +1000
 by: jonz - Fri, 16 Sep 2022 11:54 UTC

On 9/16/2022 3:38 PM, Xeno wrote:
> On 16/9/2022 3:21 pm, Noddy wrote:

>>> LOL.
>>
>> I wonder if the car Trevor saw/heard was anything like this?
>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60fMaE5KVeM
>>
>> Just a late model injected engine dumping a heap of unburnt fuel
>> straight into the exhaust system :)
>>
> Ah, no it isn't Darren. It's a finely tuned engine revving. If it were
> dumping a heap of unburnt fuel into the exhaust system it wouldn't be
> allowed on the road. As well, it would cook up the cat and then throw a
> shitload of DTCs. So, no, it isn'r what you *imagine* it to be.
>
> Nice try but you failed, again, loser!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*Like a puppet on a string*.... :)))

Re: Backfiring

<tg1pbv$3f63b$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18572&group=aus.cars#18572

From: jon...@overthere.com (jonz)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 22:14:58 +1000
 by: jonz - Fri, 16 Sep 2022 12:14 UTC

On 9/16/2022 5:32 PM, Clocky wrote:
> On 16/09/2022 10:05 am, Daryl wrote:

>>> **Never said it did. Making a car backfire a dozen times in 1.5km does.
>>
>> Agree and unnecessary on a street driven car, the MB E500 my son used
>> to own had a 5.5lt V8 which made 285kw, plenty of grunt with a stock
>> exhaust which was quiet at low rpm but sounded very nice when you
>> opened it up.
>> My Boxster has a modified exhaust, at normal legal driving speeds its
>> not noisy but at higher rpm its sounds amazing, makes very sweet music
>> with the top down at 7000rpm:-)

>>> **You're on the money with Harleys. Fucking noisy damned things.
>>> Yeah, they should be melted down to make something useful. Like
>>> Ducatis. Now a Ducati is a REAL motorbike that sounds decent.
>>>

>> The problem isn't with Harleys in stock form, its the owners who
>> modify the exhausts, seems like a very high percentage are modified.
>> Their reasoning is that its safer for them because car drivers can
>> hear them.
>
> That's pure BS.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No it`s not!. Do you ride?, do you talk to riders?. *NO* on both
counts i`d reckon. Anything to score a point eh windscreen boi?....FAIL!

>> I've never ridden a Harley but many people that have tell me that they
>> are the limousine of motorcycles, very comfortable cruisers and when
>> stock no noisier than any other motorcycle.
>>

> lol, well they are cruisers -
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

NO, not all.
as long as you're going in a straight
> line.

Unfortunately they are all modified to be noisy. The Noddy types
> want to get noticed.
~~~~~~~~~~~
You don`t have clue dribble dick.......

Re: Backfiring

<tg1vnv$3qgcq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18575&group=aus.cars#18575

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2022 00:03:42 +1000
 by: Noddy - Fri, 16 Sep 2022 14:03 UTC

On 16/09/2022 10:14 pm, jonz wrote:
> On 9/16/2022 5:32 PM, Clocky wrote:

>  Unfortunately they are all modified to be noisy. The Noddy types
>> want to get noticed.
> ~~~~~~~~~~~
>  You don`t have clue dribble dick.......

He never has. Doesn't stop him from mouthing off though :)

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: Backfiring

<tg22l0$3r3s3$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18580&group=aus.cars#18580

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2022 00:53:19 +1000
 by: Noddy - Fri, 16 Sep 2022 14:53 UTC

On 16/09/2022 9:54 pm, jonz wrote:
> On 9/16/2022 3:38 PM, Xeno wrote:

>>> Just a late model injected engine dumping a heap of unburnt fuel
>>> straight into the exhaust system :)
>>>
>> Ah, no it isn't Darren. It's a finely tuned engine revving. If it were
>> dumping a heap of unburnt fuel into the exhaust system it wouldn't be
>> allowed on the road. As well, it would cook up the cat and then throw
>> a shitload of DTCs. So, no, it isn'r what you *imagine* it to be.
>>
>> Nice try but you failed, again, loser!
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
>    *Like a puppet on a string*.... :)))

Yep, no fucking idea. According to him it backfires by magic, and no
fuel was used in the making of the movie :)

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: Backfiring

<ZW3VK.377672$6Il8.222738@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18582&group=aus.cars#18582

Newsgroups: aus.cars
From: Patty.O....@Coast.org (alvey)
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 19:15:05 GMT
 by: alvey - Fri, 16 Sep 2022 19:15 UTC

Clocky <notgonna@happen.com> wrote in news:tg18qn$3knoe$2@dont-email.me:

> Unfortunately they are all modified to be noisy.

You sure about that?

Bloke I used to work with, an ex-bike cop & Mad About Bikes type, told me
that the H-Ds got away with being so noisy because that's how they came
from the factory. Somehow this making them legal.

alvey
So keen on bikes was the 60yo Dave that not only did he still ride to work,
but he'd usually have his lunch next to a busy CBD street so that he could
watch and listen to the bloody things.

aus+uk / aus.cars / Re: Backfiring