"Debian: no hats or reptiles were harmed in the making of this distribution= ." -- Paul Slootman

aus+uk / uk.rec.sheds / So now we only have Stills and Nash

SubjectAuthor
* So now we only have Stills and NashBrian Gaff
+* So now we only have Stills and NashKerr-Mudd, John
|`* So now we only have Stills and NashTim+
| +* So now we only have Stills and NashPeter
| |`- So now we only have Stills and NashBrian Gaff
| +- So now we only have Stills and NashBrian Gaff
| `* So now we only have Stills and NashNicholas D. Richards
|  `* So now we only have Stills and NashTease'n'Seize
|   `* So now we only have Stills and NashTim+
|    +* So now we only have Stills and NashAhem A Rivet's Shot
|    |`- So now we only have Stills and Nashgreymaus
|    +* So now we only have Stills and NashNicholas D. Richards
|    |`- So now we only have Stills and NashRustyHinge
|    +* So now we only have Stills and NashTease'n'Seize
|    |`- So now we only have Stills and NashSam Plusnet
|    `- So now we only have Stills and NashRustyHinge
+- So now we only have Stills and Nashgreymaus
+* So now we only have Stills and Nashhubops
|`* So now we only have Stills and NashNicholas D. Richards
| `* So now we only have Stills and Nashhubops
|  `* So now we only have Stills and NashNicholas D. Richards
|   `* So now we only have Stills and NashTone
|    `* So now we only have Stills and NashAhem A Rivet's Shot
|     `* So now we only have Stills and NashTone
|      +* So now we only have Stills and NashTim+
|      |`- So now we only have Stills and NashAhem A Rivet's Shot
|      +- So now we only have Stills and NashNicholas D. Richards
|      `* So now we only have Stills and NashSam Plusnet
|       `- So now we only have Stills and NashRustyHinge
`* So now we only have Stills and NashMike Fleming
 `- So now we only have Stills and Nashnev young

Pages:12
So now we only have Stills and Nash

<tqdnp7$20k6q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18813&group=uk.rec.sheds#18813

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: So now we only have Stills and Nash
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2023 09:44:03 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Fri, 20 Jan 2023 09:44 UTC

Mind you Dave Crosby was 80. I can never quite understand these days how
these people became so old, then one looks at ones own age and wonders where
the years went.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Re: So now we only have Stills and Nash

<20230120103646.0539e62bc2aa596733ba063c@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18818&group=uk.rec.sheds#18818

From: adm...@127.0.0.1 (Kerr-Mudd, John)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Re: So now we only have Stills and Nash
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2023 10:36:46 +0000
GNU: Terry Pratchett
 by: Kerr-Mudd, John - Fri, 20 Jan 2023 10:36 UTC

On Fri, 20 Jan 2023 09:44:03 -0000
"Brian Gaff" <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:

> Mind you Dave Crosby was 80. I can never quite understand these days how
> these people became so old, then one looks at ones own age and wonders where
> the years went.
> Brian

Only the other day I was reminiscing about the time I did something or
other you know 5 or 10 years ago - seems it was actually 35.

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Re: So now we only have Stills and Nash

<188472448.695904288.577686.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18819&group=uk.rec.sheds#18819

From: tim.dow...@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 20 Jan 2023 10:46:45 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Fri, 20 Jan 2023 10:46 UTC

Kerr-Mudd, John <admin@127.0.0.1> wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Jan 2023 09:44:03 -0000
> "Brian Gaff" <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Mind you Dave Crosby was 80. I can never quite understand these days how
>> these people became so old, then one looks at ones own age and wonders where
>> the years went.
>> Brian
>>
> Only the other day I was reminiscing about the time I did something or
> other you know 5 or 10 years ago - seems it was actually 35.

I keep getting surprised by the way that old people talk to me in the
street. They seem to see me as another old person.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: So now we only have Stills and Nash

<slrntslb1d.8n8.greymaus@dmaus.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18827&group=uk.rec.sheds#18827

From: greym...@dmaus.org (greymaus)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 20 Jan 2023 14:58:54 GMT
 by: greymaus - Fri, 20 Jan 2023 14:58 UTC

On 2023-01-20, Brian Gaff <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:
> Mind you Dave Crosby was 80. I can never quite understand these days how
> these people became so old, then one looks at ones own age and wonders where
> the years went.
> Brian

In Crosby's case, he was probably worn out from his domestic
arrangements. I once had to put in a time explaining to my older brother
that is was not Bing of the Crosbies, who in my opinion, was a total
*hit.

--
greymausg@mail.com

Fe, Fi, Fo, Fum, I smell the stench of an Influencer.
Where is our money gone, Dude?

Re: So now we only have Stills and Nash

<XnsAF92993E2A99BFactura3476@88.198.57.247>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18829&group=uk.rec.sheds#18829

From: mys...@prune.org.uk (Peter)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2023 15:03:50 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Peter - Fri, 20 Jan 2023 15:03 UTC

Tim+ <tim.downie@gmail.com> wrote in

> Kerr-Mudd, John <admin@127.0.0.1> wrote:
>> On Fri, 20 Jan 2023 09:44:03 -0000
>> "Brian Gaff" <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Mind you Dave Crosby was 80. I can never quite understand these
>>> days how these people became so old, then one looks at ones own age
>>> and wonders where the years went.
>>> Brian
>>>
>> Only the other day I was reminiscing about the time I did something
>> or other you know 5 or 10 years ago - seems it was actually 35.
>>>

> I keep getting surprised by the way that old people talk to me in the
> street. They seem to see me as another old person.
>
> Tim

Similarly I keep getting surprised (and rather delighted) by the number of
young people who come up to me to offer help. Restores one's faith in
whatsit.

--
Peter
-----

Re: So now we only have Stills and Nash

<tqedoq$24jah$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18832&group=uk.rec.sheds#18832

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2023 15:59:18 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Fri, 20 Jan 2023 15:59 UTC

Its that old joke. It now takes me all night to do what I used to do all
night.
I'm beginning to realise that its harder to learn new stuff, like new
versions of software, with its ribbon menues or weird sundry buttons in
stupid places.
I was talking to some people about my age and saying that Windows XPs
interface is far more intuitive than windows 10 or 11. I have windows 7, but
I'm still trying to understand 10, and 11 came out. The basics are the same,
but why not have a choice of shells, IE one that looks like previous
versions of windows. OK so you can get software that sort of does this, but
often not very accessibly.

Is it old dogs and new tricks, or is it that we are somehow out of step
with society after we reach a certain age.

Brian

--

--:
"Tim+" <tim.downie@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Kerr-Mudd, John <admin@127.0.0.1> wrote:
>> On Fri, 20 Jan 2023 09:44:03 -0000
>> "Brian Gaff" <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Mind you Dave Crosby was 80. I can never quite understand these days
>>> how
>>> these people became so old, then one looks at ones own age and wonders
>>> where
>>> the years went.
>>> Brian
>>>
>> Only the other day I was reminiscing about the time I did something or
>> other you know 5 or 10 years ago - seems it was actually 35.
>>>

> I keep getting surprised by the way that old people talk to me in the
> street. They seem to see me as another old person.
>
> Tim
>
> --
> Please don't feed the trolls

Re: So now we only have Stills and Nash

<tqedto$24kjm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18833&group=uk.rec.sheds#18833

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2023 16:01:56 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Fri, 20 Jan 2023 16:01 UTC

Yes certainly, but I find that the added problem is being blind, they cannot
function without a display, a touch screen or a mouse and immediately change
settings and then I spend hours undoing what they did to make it accessible
again
Brian

--

--:
"Peter" <myshed@prune.org.uk> wrote in message
> Tim+ <tim.downie@gmail.com> wrote in
>
>> Kerr-Mudd, John <admin@127.0.0.1> wrote:

>>> Only the other day I was reminiscing about the time I did something
>>> or other you know 5 or 10 years ago - seems it was actually 35.
>>>>

>> I keep getting surprised by the way that old people talk to me in the
>> street. They seem to see me as another old person.
>>
>> Tim
>>

> Similarly I keep getting surprised (and rather delighted) by the number of
> young people who come up to me to offer help. Restores one's faith in
> whatsit.
>
> --
> Peter
> -----

Re: So now we only have Stills and Nash

<c6ilsh9idgcf73tio7gaqa1ptg0r88a0fb@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18834&group=uk.rec.sheds#18834

From: hub...@ccanoemail.com
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2023 12:04:17 -0500
 by: hub...@ccanoemail.com - Fri, 20 Jan 2023 17:04 UTC

<brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:

>Mind you Dave Crosby was 80. I can never quite understand these days how
>these people became so old, then one looks at ones own age and wonders where
>the years went.
> Brian

50-some years ago :

https://sfae.com/Artists/Graham-Nash/David-Crosby-1971-(Airport)

John T.

Re: So now we only have Stills and Nash

<pEuFpfAWrsyjFAyo@salmiron.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18836&group=uk.rec.sheds#18836

From: nicho...@salmiron.com (Nicholas D. Richards)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2023 17:09:42 +0000
 by: Nicholas D. Richards - Fri, 20 Jan 2023 17:09 UTC

In article <188472448.695904288.577686.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individ
ual.net>, Tim+ <tim.downie@gmail.com> on Fri, 20 Jan 2023 at 10:46:45
awoke Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
>Kerr-Mudd, John <admin@127.0.0.1> wrote:
>> On Fri, 20 Jan 2023 09:44:03 -0000
>> "Brian Gaff" <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Mind you Dave Crosby was 80. I can never quite understand these days how
>>> these people became so old, then one looks at ones own age and wonders where
>>> the years went.
>>> Brian
>>>
>> Only the other day I was reminiscing about the time I did something or
>> other you know 5 or 10 years ago - seems it was actually 35.
>>>

>I keep getting surprised by the way that old people talk to me in the
>street. They seem to see me as another old person.

It came as a shock when 'younger' started to give their seat on the bus,
unasked, even tapping me on the shoulder to ask me if I wanted a seat.
That was something like 15-20 years ago, when I was still in my 50's.
Made me look at myself in the mirror.

These days I am grateful of the offer and I never look in the mirror.
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Re: So now we only have Stills and Nash

<ikbHxqAAtsyjFAwp@salmiron.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18837&group=uk.rec.sheds#18837

From: nicho...@salmiron.com (Nicholas D. Richards)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2023 17:11:28 +0000
 by: Nicholas D. Richards - Fri, 20 Jan 2023 17:11 UTC

In article <c6ilsh9idgcf73tio7gaqa1ptg0r88a0fb@4ax.com>,
hubops@ccanoemail.com on Fri, 20 Jan 2023 at 12:04:17 awoke Nicholas
from his slumbers and wrote
>On Fri, 20 Jan 2023 09:44:03 -0000, "Brian Gaff"
><brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Mind you Dave Crosby was 80. I can never quite understand these days how
>>these people became so old, then one looks at ones own age and wonders where
>>the years went.
>> Brian
>

> 50-some years ago :
>
>https://sfae.com/Artists/Graham-Nash/David-Crosby-1971-(Airport)
>
> John T.

Gives a 404 error :(
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Re: So now we only have Stills and Nash

<1fjlshpu5tcd4v60a9ocuvj5fqhhvfrqp3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18839&group=uk.rec.sheds#18839

From: hub...@ccanoemail.com
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2023 12:27:43 -0500
 by: hub...@ccanoemail.com - Fri, 20 Jan 2023 17:27 UTC

On Fri, 20 Jan 2023 17:11:28 +0000, "Nicholas D. Richards"
<nicholas@salmiron.com> wrote:

>In article <c6ilsh9idgcf73tio7gaqa1ptg0r88a0fb@4ax.com>,
>hubops@ccanoemail.com on Fri, 20 Jan 2023 at 12:04:17 awoke Nicholas
>from his slumbers and wrote
>>On Fri, 20 Jan 2023 09:44:03 -0000, "Brian Gaff"
>><brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Mind you Dave Crosby was 80. I can never quite understand these days how
>>>these people became so old, then one looks at ones own age and wonders where
>>>the years went.
>>> Brian
>>

>> 50-some years ago :
>>https://sfae.com/Artists/Graham-Nash/David-Crosby-1971-(Airport)
>> John T.
>
>Gives a 404 error :(

Copy-and-paste the link into the browser sometimes fixes that ?
It shouldn't be a geo-restriction nor an iffy web site -
it's a San Francisco art gallery that deals in Graham Nash's
photography ..

https://sfae.com/Artists/Graham-Nash/

John T.

Re: So now we only have Stills and Nash

<Yl4ZB2AMQtyjFAGL@salmiron.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18840&group=uk.rec.sheds#18840

From: nicho...@salmiron.com (Nicholas D. Richards)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2023 17:49:00 +0000
 by: Nicholas D. Richards - Fri, 20 Jan 2023 17:49 UTC

In article <1fjlshpu5tcd4v60a9ocuvj5fqhhvfrqp3@4ax.com>,
hubops@ccanoemail.com on Fri, 20 Jan 2023 at 12:27:43 awoke Nicholas
from his slumbers and wrote
>On Fri, 20 Jan 2023 17:11:28 +0000, "Nicholas D. Richards"
><nicholas@salmiron.com> wrote:
>
>>In article <c6ilsh9idgcf73tio7gaqa1ptg0r88a0fb@4ax.com>,
>>hubops@ccanoemail.com on Fri, 20 Jan 2023 at 12:04:17 awoke Nicholas
>>from his slumbers and wrote

>>> 50-some years ago :
>>>https://sfae.com/Artists/Graham-Nash/David-Crosby-1971-(Airport)" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">https://sfae.com/Artists/Graham-Nash/David-Crosby-1971-(Airport)
>>> John T.
>>
>>Gives a 404 error :(
>>

> Copy-and-paste the link into the browser sometimes fixes that ?
>It shouldn't be a geo-restriction nor an iffy web site -
>it's a San Francisco art gallery that deals in Graham Nash's
>photography ..
>
>https://sfae.com/Artists/Graham-Nash/
>
> John T.
Got it.

I was recently looking at some photographs of my Granny recently. When I
looked at the back and did the maths I realized that the photographs
were taken when my Granny was younger than I am now. I swear she looks
much older than SWMBO and myself. Mind yew she had had a much tougher
life than I have (war, civil war, typhus, loss (how?) of a husband,
death of a son, refugee, another war, death of her other son, holocaust
victimhood of all her in-laws and desertion by another husband). What
had happened to her own family, no one knows. Tough.
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Re: So now we only have Stills and Nash

<i9SdnSACfpZTblf-nZ2dnZfqnPudnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18842&group=uk.rec.sheds#18842

Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2023 20:04:26 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: tease-an...@invalid (Tease'n'Seize)
 by: Tease'n'Se - Fri, 20 Jan 2023 20:04 UTC

Nicholas D. Richards wrote:

> It came as a shock when 'younger' started to give their seat on the bus,
> unasked, even tapping me on the shoulder to ask me if I wanted a seat.
> That was something like 15-20 years ago, when I was still in my 50's.

I'm in my late 50s, I *think* I've just started noticing, when I'm
standing aside to let someone walk through a narrow doorway, or aisle,
that *they* are now tending to let me through instead ... it's a subtle
effect.

Re: So now we only have Stills and Nash

<1709239456.695939711.029801.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18843&group=uk.rec.sheds#18843

From: tim.dow...@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 20 Jan 2023 20:36:54 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Fri, 20 Jan 2023 20:36 UTC

Tease'n'Seize <tease-and-seize@invalid> wrote:
> Nicholas D. Richards wrote:
>
>> It came as a shock when 'younger' started to give their seat on the bus,
>> unasked, even tapping me on the shoulder to ask me if I wanted a seat.
>> That was something like 15-20 years ago, when I was still in my 50's.
>
> I'm in my late 50s, I *think* I've just started noticing, when I'm
> standing aside to let someone walk through a narrow doorway, or aisle,
> that *they* are now tending to let me through instead ... it's a subtle
> effect.

Sometimes I wish that checkout operators would at least pretend to check
that I’m over 18 when buying alcohol.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: So now we only have Stills and Nash

<tqf795$293hv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18844&group=uk.rec.sheds#18844

From: ton...@email.com (Tone)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2023 23:14:34 +0000
 by: Tone - Fri, 20 Jan 2023 23:14 UTC

On 20/01/2023 17:49, Nicholas D. Richards wrote:
> I was recently looking at some photographs of my Granny recently. When I
> looked at the back and did the maths I realized that the photographs
> were taken when my Granny was younger than I am now. I swear she looks
> much older than SWMBO and myself. Mind yew she had had a much tougher
> life than I have (war, civil war, typhus, loss (how?) of a husband,
> death of a son, refugee, another war, death of her other son, holocaust
> victimhood of all her in-laws and desertion by another husband). What
> had happened to her own family, no one knows. Tough.
> --

Watching drama on't 'elly, I occasionally catch myself viewing
authoritarian figures, such as the ecilop and teachers, as being much
older than me, even though the actors are about 40 years younger!

Especially Sarah Lancaster!

Tone

Re: So now we only have Stills and Nash

<20230121003452.338452df42c1f440dc2b1889@eircom.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18845&group=uk.rec.sheds#18845

From: ste...@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2023 00:34:52 +0000
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Sat, 21 Jan 2023 00:34 UTC

On 20 Jan 2023 20:36:54 GMT
Tim+ <tim.downie@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sometimes I wish that checkout operators would at least pretend to check
> that I’m over 18 when buying alcohol.

Go to Seattle, go into a weed shop (you don't have to buy
anything), you will have to present proof of age on entry no exceptions,
it's on camera and they can lose the license if they fail to check.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Re: So now we only have Stills and Nash

<20230121012233.da66b4e2a1faa902d018d11e@eircom.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18846&group=uk.rec.sheds#18846

From: ste...@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2023 01:22:33 +0000
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Sat, 21 Jan 2023 01:22 UTC

On Fri, 20 Jan 2023 23:14:34 +0000
Tone <tone@email.com> wrote:

> Watching drama on't 'elly, I occasionally catch myself viewing
> authoritarian figures, such as the ecilop and teachers, as being much
> older than me, even though the actors are about 40 years younger!

The first sign of advancing age is when you start seeing the ecilop
as youngsters.

The first time I was made to feel old (I wasn't even close but ...)
was in 1987 when some bright spark thought it was a good idea to put up a
dirty great billboard with the Beatles in their full Sgt Pepper regalia
topped by the slogan "It was twenty years ago today" ... abstrads! I wasnae
even thirty and not ready to contemplate remembering things that were twenty
years old!

Still I have a punning clan for a few munfs from now, my next
burpday falls on a Thursday when I do open mic thinging so I gooved I might
see if I can get a few people to help me do "When I'm 64" seeing as how I
will be and it's a lousy solo song.

I am constantly amazed at how far from old I feel and act (I
can still touch my toes to my nose, run up stairs two at a time
effortlessly, skip a night's sleep etc.) and I'm regularly surprised when
someone I meet who seems to me to be old turns out to be anything up to ten
years younger than I am - usually I find out when sympathising about the
pains of ageing and being quietly glad that I'm not feeling them yet.

When I were a lad people my age were coffin dodgers working out
their retirement doing something harmless - my contract (less than two
years old) has "key worker" clauses and a retirement extension to 70 - my
manager is lining me up for promotion and I'm fending off approaches from
"senior talent acquisition managers" to consider some interesting role
pretty much every week. Age isn't what it used to be.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Re: So now we only have Stills and Nash

<k3116gFms1aU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18847&group=uk.rec.sheds#18847

From: mik...@tauzero.co.uk (Mike Fleming)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2023 02:32:48 +0000
 by: Mike Fleming - Sat, 21 Jan 2023 02:32 UTC

On 20/01/2023 09:44, Brian Gaff wrote:
> Mind you Dave Crosby was 80. I can never quite understand these days how
> these people became so old, then one looks at ones own age and wonders where
> the years went.

We've still got Neil Young too.

Re: So now we only have Stills and Nash

<tqfll1$290i5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18848&group=uk.rec.sheds#18848

From: ton...@email.com (Tone)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2023 03:19:49 +0000
 by: Tone - Sat, 21 Jan 2023 03:19 UTC

On 21/01/2023 01:22, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Jan 2023 23:14:34 +0000
> Tone <tone@email.com> wrote:
>
>> Watching drama on't 'elly, I occasionally catch myself viewing
>> authoritarian figures, such as the ecilop and teachers, as being much
>> older than me, even though the actors are about 40 years younger!
>
> The first sign of advancing age is when you start seeing the ecilop
> as youngsters.
>
> The first time I was made to feel old (I wasn't even close but ...)
> was in 1987 when some bright spark thought it was a good idea to put up a
> dirty great billboard with the Beatles in their full Sgt Pepper regalia
> topped by the slogan "It was twenty years ago today" ... abstrads! I wasnae
> even thirty and not ready to contemplate remembering things that were twenty
> years old!
>
> Still I have a punning clan for a few munfs from now, my next
> burpday falls on a Thursday when I do open mic thinging so I gooved I might
> see if I can get a few people to help me do "When I'm 64" seeing as how I
> will be and it's a lousy solo song.
>
> I am constantly amazed at how far from old I feel and act (I
> can still touch my toes to my nose, run up stairs two at a time
> effortlessly, skip a night's sleep etc.) and I'm regularly surprised when
> someone I meet who seems to me to be old turns out to be anything up to ten
> years younger than I am - usually I find out when sympathising about the
> pains of ageing and being quietly glad that I'm not feeling them yet.
>
> When I were a lad people my age were coffin dodgers working out
> their retirement doing something harmless - my contract (less than two
> years old) has "key worker" clauses and a retirement extension to 70 - my
> manager is lining me up for promotion and I'm fending off approaches from
> "senior talent acquisition managers" to consider some interesting role
> pretty much every week. Age isn't what it used to be.

You are very very lucky to be in good health, Steve.

Health counts for everything as we age. In Yorkshire we have a 90 year
old HGV driver still at it. He passes the medical each time.

OTOH I would have failed my medical 23 years ago, had I not given up my
HGV licence voluntarily.

I have just proved that I can drive cars safely at age almost 81,
through a DVLA test drive, after a vindictive malicious report. But I
would not pass an HGV medical. I can barely walk now due to DVT damage
to the blood circulation in my legs 24 years ago. That was probably
hereditary. But I can jbex pedals sitting down.

Good health as we age is a lottery. Celebrate yours, Steve, but don't
ever take it for granted.

cheers

Tone

Re: So now we only have Stills and Nash

<slrntsnarj.2e6.greymaus@dmaus.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18849&group=uk.rec.sheds#18849

From: greym...@dmaus.org (greymaus)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 21 Jan 2023 09:08:03 GMT
 by: greymaus - Sat, 21 Jan 2023 09:08 UTC

On 2023-01-21, Ahem A Rivet's Shot <steveo@eircom.net> wrote:
> On 20 Jan 2023 20:36:54 GMT
> Tim+ <tim.downie@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Sometimes I wish that checkout operators would at least pretend to check
>> that I’m over 18 when buying alcohol.
>
> Go to Seattle, go into a weed shop (you don't have to buy
> anything), you will have to present proof of age on entry no exceptions,
> it's on camera and they can lose the license if they fail to check.

One of my daughters is 44, and still has to present proof of age.
Rightly so, but there is usually a bozo (Bojo?) hanging around to
buy it instead.

--
greymausg@mail.com

Fe, Fi, Fo, Fum, I smell the stench of an Influencer.
Where is our money gone, Dude?

Re: So now we only have Stills and Nash

<1845425725.695985975.316169.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18851&group=uk.rec.sheds#18851

From: tim.dow...@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 21 Jan 2023 09:32:32 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Sat, 21 Jan 2023 09:32 UTC

Tone <tone@email.com> wrote:
> On 21/01/2023 01:22, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
>> On Fri, 20 Jan 2023 23:14:34 +0000
>> Tone <tone@email.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Watching drama on't 'elly, I occasionally catch myself viewing
>>> authoritarian figures, such as the ecilop and teachers, as being much
>>> older than me, even though the actors are about 40 years younger!
>>
>> The first sign of advancing age is when you start seeing the ecilop
>> as youngsters.
>>
>> The first time I was made to feel old (I wasn't even close but ...)
>> was in 1987 when some bright spark thought it was a good idea to put up a
>> dirty great billboard with the Beatles in their full Sgt Pepper regalia
>> topped by the slogan "It was twenty years ago today" ... abstrads! I wasnae
>> even thirty and not ready to contemplate remembering things that were twenty
>> years old!
>>
>> Still I have a punning clan for a few munfs from now, my next
>> burpday falls on a Thursday when I do open mic thinging so I gooved I might
>> see if I can get a few people to help me do "When I'm 64" seeing as how I
>> will be and it's a lousy solo song.
>>
>> I am constantly amazed at how far from old I feel and act (I
>> can still touch my toes to my nose, run up stairs two at a time
>> effortlessly, skip a night's sleep etc.) and I'm regularly surprised when
>> someone I meet who seems to me to be old turns out to be anything up to ten
>> years younger than I am - usually I find out when sympathising about the
>> pains of ageing and being quietly glad that I'm not feeling them yet.
>>
>> When I were a lad people my age were coffin dodgers working out
>> their retirement doing something harmless - my contract (less than two
>> years old) has "key worker" clauses and a retirement extension to 70 - my
>> manager is lining me up for promotion and I'm fending off approaches from
>> "senior talent acquisition managers" to consider some interesting role
>> pretty much every week. Age isn't what it used to be.
>>

> You are very very lucky to be in good health, Steve.

Nah, he just chose his parents well.

I’m similarly lucky. 66 and running regularly. I’m actually running my
first ever track race at the end of this month (an indoor 3000 metre
event). It’ll probably be humiliating but it is an event for older runners
so I might not be last. Also got a 55 mile race in May to look forward to.

> Health counts for everything as we age. In Yorkshire we have a 90 year
> old HGV driver still at it. He passes the medical each time.
>
> OTOH I would have failed my medical 23 years ago, had I not given up my
> HGV licence voluntarily.
>
> I have just proved that I can drive cars safely at age almost 81,
> through a DVLA test drive, after a vindictive malicious report. But I
> would not pass an HGV medical. I can barely walk now due to DVT damage
> to the blood circulation in my legs 24 years ago.

That sucks.

> That was probably
> hereditary. But I can jbex pedals sitting down.

NEXT time you reincarnate, pick better parents.

> Good health as we age is a lottery. Celebrate yours, Steve, but don't
> ever take it for granted.

I try not to. I really do count myself as one of the lucky ones.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: So now we only have Stills and Nash

<QD374RAzR7yjFAFl@salmiron.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18852&group=uk.rec.sheds#18852

From: nicho...@salmiron.com (Nicholas D. Richards)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2023 09:46:27 +0000
 by: Nicholas D. Richards - Sat, 21 Jan 2023 09:46 UTC

In article <1709239456.695939711.029801.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.indivi
dual.net>, Tim+ <tim.downie@gmail.com> on Fri, 20 Jan 2023 at 20:36:54
awoke Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
>Tease'n'Seize <tease-and-seize@invalid> wrote:
>> Nicholas D. Richards wrote:
>>
>>> It came as a shock when 'younger' started to give their seat on the bus,
>>> unasked, even tapping me on the shoulder to ask me if I wanted a seat.
>>> That was something like 15-20 years ago, when I was still in my 50's.
>>
>> I'm in my late 50s, I *think* I've just started noticing, when I'm
>> standing aside to let someone walk through a narrow doorway, or aisle,
>> that *they* are now tending to let me through instead ... it's a subtle
>> effect.
>>

>Sometimes I wish that checkout operators would at least pretend to check
>that I’m over 18 when buying alcohol.

You wish...

I wish that my body* would let me drink alcohol** without almost
immediate consequences. I never was a 'drinker' , but an occasional
tipple was one of those pleasures that seemed to make life even
betterer.

* In truth not so much my body as the drugs (prescribed by the quack)
that allow my body to keep going.

** Does a tipple of a Single Islay still taste just as good?
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Re: So now we only have Stills and Nash

<sD704eADu7yjFAiG@salmiron.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18853&group=uk.rec.sheds#18853

From: nicho...@salmiron.com (Nicholas D. Richards)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2023 10:16:35 +0000
 by: Nicholas D. Richards - Sat, 21 Jan 2023 10:16 UTC

In article <tqfll1$290i5$1@dont-email.me>, Tone <tone@email.com> on
Sat, 21 Jan 2023 at 03:19:49 awoke Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
>On 21/01/2023 01:22, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
>> On Fri, 20 Jan 2023 23:14:34 +0000
>> Tone <tone@email.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Watching drama on't 'elly, I occasionally catch myself viewing
>>> authoritarian figures, such as the ecilop and teachers, as being much
>>> older than me, even though the actors are about 40 years younger!
>>
>> The first sign of advancing age is when you start seeing the ecilop
>> as youngsters.
>>
>> The first time I was made to feel old (I wasn't even close but ...)
>> was in 1987 when some bright spark thought it was a good idea to put up a
>> dirty great billboard with the Beatles in their full Sgt Pepper regalia
>> topped by the slogan "It was twenty years ago today" ... abstrads! I wasnae
>> even thirty and not ready to contemplate remembering things that were twenty
>> years old!
>>
>> Still I have a punning clan for a few munfs from now, my next
>> burpday falls on a Thursday when I do open mic thinging so I gooved I might
>> see if I can get a few people to help me do "When I'm 64" seeing as how I
>> will be and it's a lousy solo song.
>>
>> I am constantly amazed at how far from old I feel and act (I
>> can still touch my toes to my nose, run up stairs two at a time
>> effortlessly, skip a night's sleep etc.) and I'm regularly surprised when
>> someone I meet who seems to me to be old turns out to be anything up to ten
>> years younger than I am - usually I find out when sympathising about the
>> pains of ageing and being quietly glad that I'm not feeling them yet.
>>
>> When I were a lad people my age were coffin dodgers working out
>> their retirement doing something harmless - my contract (less than two
>> years old) has "key worker" clauses and a retirement extension to 70 - my
>> manager is lining me up for promotion and I'm fending off approaches from
>> "senior talent acquisition managers" to consider some interesting role
>> pretty much every week. Age isn't what it used to be.
>>

>You are very very lucky to be in good health, Steve.
>
>Health counts for everything as we age. In Yorkshire we have a 90 year
>old HGV driver still at it. He passes the medical each time.
>
>OTOH I would have failed my medical 23 years ago, had I not given up my
>HGV licence voluntarily.
>
>I have just proved that I can drive cars safely at age almost 81,
>through a DVLA test drive, after a vindictive malicious report. But I
>would not pass an HGV medical. I can barely walk now due to DVT damage
>to the blood circulation in my legs 24 years ago. That was probably
>hereditary. But I can jbex pedals sitting down.
>
>Good health as we age is a lottery. Celebrate yours, Steve, but don't
>ever take it for granted.
>
>cheers
>
>Tone
Applause to that, Tone.

I am a few years younger than arTone and would not be able to walk the
distance required to get to my work, as it was then. Additionally, I
could not sit at a desk or meeting and stay awake long enough to have
done my job.

I had always said that I intended to work on beyond the company's
pension scheme retirement date. Four years before I reached that age
they made a Voluntary Early Retirement offer to all staff 50+ in age. It
enhanced the redundancy payment and allowed you to put much of that
money into the company pension scheme and take immediate retirement
without a reduction in pension for the extra years that the pension was
likely be paid.

I worked out that if I took the offer and put the maximum into the
scheme, my pension at 60 would be greater than I would receive if I had
continued to work till I was 60. I was at an age where the redundancy
payment was at a maximum and if I worked further the payment would
reduce. I was concerned that the company might close the final salary
scheme, they did but after the date at which I would have been retired
anyway.

A couple of years later they moved the entire function, but not the
staff, to Bangalore.

I was one lucky bunny.

--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Re: So now we only have Stills and Nash

<L4WdnUhGqfi0X1b-nZ2dnZfqnPudnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18854&group=uk.rec.sheds#18854

Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2023 10:44:56 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: tease-an...@invalid (Tease'n'Seize)
 by: Tease'n'Se - Sat, 21 Jan 2023 10:44 UTC

Tim+ wrote:

> Sometimes I wish that checkout operators would at least pretend to check
> that I’m over 18 when buying alcohol.

I find they generally do, and it offers a good opportunity to laugh it
off with a shrug saying "yes, unfortuntely"

Re: So now we only have Stills and Nash

<tqh39s$2ln3a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18858&group=uk.rec.sheds#18858

From: rusty.hi...@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2023 16:19:06 +0000
 by: RustyHinge - Sat, 21 Jan 2023 16:19 UTC

On 20/01/2023 20:36, Tim+ wrote:
> Tease'n'Seize <tease-and-seize@invalid> wrote:
>> Nicholas D. Richards wrote:
>>
>>> It came as a shock when 'younger' started to give their seat on the bus,
>>> unasked, even tapping me on the shoulder to ask me if I wanted a seat.
>>> That was something like 15-20 years ago, when I was still in my 50's.
>>
>> I'm in my late 50s, I *think* I've just started noticing, when I'm
>> standing aside to let someone walk through a narrow doorway, or aisle,
>> that *they* are now tending to let me through instead ... it's a subtle
>> effect.
>>

> Sometimes I wish that checkout operators would at least pretend to check
> that I’m over 18 when buying alcohol.

Rising 83 I'm always asked. Not because I look so young, unfortunately,
but because I can only buy it myself, online...

--
Rusty Hinge