aus+uk / aus.cars / Re: Appears NSW rail has realised their mistake.

SubjectAuthor
* Appears NSW rail has realised their mistake.Grumpy Tech
+* Re: Appears NSW rail has realised their mistake.Daryl
|+* Re: Appears NSW rail has realised their mistake.Noddy
||`* Re: Appears NSW rail has realised their mistake.Daryl
|| `* Re: Appears NSW rail has realised their mistake.Noddy
||  `- Re: Appears NSW rail has realised their mistake.Xeno
|+- Re: Appears NSW rail has realised their mistake.Xeno
|`* Re: Appears NSW rail has realised their mistake.keithr0
| +- Re: Appears NSW rail has realised their mistake.Grumpy Tech
| `* Re: Appears NSW rail has realised their mistake.Daryl
|  `* Re: Appears NSW rail has realised their mistake.keithr0
|   `- Re: Appears NSW rail has realised their mistake.Daryl
+* Re: Appears NSW rail has realised their mistake.alvey
|`* Re: Appears NSW rail has realised their mistake.Xeno
| `* Re: Appears NSW rail has realised their mistake.yosemite sam
|  `- Re: Appears NSW rail has realised their mistake.Xeno
+* Re: Appears NSW rail has realised their mistake.Noddy
|+- Re: Appears NSW rail has realised their mistake.alvey
|`- Re: Appears NSW rail has realised their mistake.Xeno
+* Re: Appears NSW rail has realised their mistake.Xeno
|+* Re: Appears NSW rail has realised their mistake.yosemite sam
||`- Re: Appears NSW rail has realised their mistake.Xeno
|+- Re: Appears NSW rail has realised their mistake.Xeno
|+* Re: Appears NSW rail has realised their mistake.Grumpy Tech
||+* Re: Appears NSW rail has realised their mistake.Noddy
|||+* Re: Appears NSW rail has realised their mistake.alvey
|||`- Re: Appears NSW rail has realised their mistake.Xeno
||+- Re: Appears NSW rail has realised their mistake.jonz
||`- Re: Appears NSW rail has realised their mistake.Xeno
|`* Re: Appears NSW rail has realised their mistake.keithr0
| `* Re: Appears NSW rail has realised their mistake.Noddy
|  `- Re: Appears NSW rail has realised their mistake.Xeno
`* Re: Appears NSW rail has realised their mistake.Clocky
 +- Re: Appears NSW rail has realised their mistake.Xeno
 +- Re: Appears NSW rail has realised their mistake.alvey
 `* Re: Appears NSW rail has realised their mistake.Grumpy Tech
  +* Re: Appears NSW rail has realised their mistake.Clocky
  |`- Re: Appears NSW rail has realised their mistake.Xeno
  `* Re: Appears NSW rail has realised their mistake.alvey
   +- Re: Appears NSW rail has realised their mistake.Xeno
   `* Re: Appears NSW rail has realised their mistake.yosemite sam
    `- Re: Appears NSW rail has realised their mistake.Xeno

Pages:12
Re: Appears NSW rail has realised their mistake.

<thnq58$3ftmb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19075&group=aus.cars#19075

From: jon...@overthere.com (jonz)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Subject: Re: Appears NSW rail has realised their mistake.
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2022 10:59:36 +1100
 by: jonz - Thu, 6 Oct 2022 23:59 UTC

On 10/7/2022 7:29 AM, Grumpy Tech wrote:
> [...]
>>>
>>> Today I was driving down the Newell Pothole (It's a disgrace for a
>>> national highway) and alongside the road from Moree to Narrabri is a
>>> new rail line going in to replace the old one. Hundreds and hundreds
>>> of concrete sleepers being laid. Well stuff me our resident gunzel
>>> guru of everything has egg on his face again.
>>>
>> The reality here is that *you* have the egg on your face. The Moree to
>> Narrabri line is part of the new *Inland Rail* project.
>>
>> http://www.artc.com.au/library/IRAS_Appendix_C.pdf
>>
>> You will note that the Inland Rail project is being built to Class 1
>> standard with Class 1C as the lowest level. As such, steel sleepers
>> are not ideal. I stated in the past, with evidence, that steel
>> sleepers are to be used in this country on class 2 to class 5 lines
>> inclusive. It stands to reason then that the Inland Rail project will
>> *not* be using steel sleepers.
>>>
>>> Apparently steel sleepers are not the be all and end all of rail
>>> afterall. I told him then he didn't know what he was talking about and
>>
>> Nobody. least of all me, ever said they were "the be all and end all
>> of rail". What I did say is that they were being used in Australia on
>> *class 2 to class 5 lines*. That's why they are not being used on the
>> Inland Rail project as that is *Class 1x*.
>>
>> The other point here is where the steel sleepers come from. The
>> *rails* are manufactured in Whyalla but steel sleepers are sourced,
>> for the most part, from the UK. One supplier;
>>
>> https://www.coldforge.com.au/products/steel-sleepers
>>
>> Note the *limits* of use of *steel sleepers* in the chart.
>>
>> In case you hadn't noticed, there have been a few issues with *global*
>> shipping since 2019. Supplies of any OS products have been fraught
>> since then so it would come as no surprise to me if higher cost
>> concrete sleepers are taking precedence over steel right now since
>> supply can be guaranteed. FYI, concrete sleepers can be - and are -
>> made locally. In these fraught global shipping times, local supply
>> makes a hell of a lot of sense;
>>
>> https://www.holcim.com.au/humes/precast-concrete-solutions/rail
>>

>>> it looks like I knew what I was talking about. Hey xeno, you stuffed
>>> up again.
>>
>> You just proved, once again, that *you* do not know what you are
>> talking about. Maybe, just maybe, in your time as a *fat controller*,
>> you should have got off your fat arse and had a look round! You might
>> just have found *enlightenment* as well as still being able to *fit in
>> the chair*.
>>

> It's funny that when I first stated my argument, you called bullshit and
> said it was because the sleepers were laid incorrectly. Then you found
> out I was correct and had to change your argument after researching the
> different classes of lines. Let's face it xeno, you actually learnt
> something for once. You were wrong but you hate admitting it, so you
> shifted the goalposts once you found out you were wrong.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Par for the course!....

> EOD.

Re: Appears NSW rail has realised their mistake.

<UBK%K.73709$R_o7.47131@fx33.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19076&group=aus.cars#19076

Newsgroups: aus.cars
From: Patty.O....@Coast.org (alvey)
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2022 00:42:28 GMT
 by: alvey - Fri, 7 Oct 2022 00:42 UTC

Noddy <me@home.com> wrote in news:thnee0$3f2kj$1@dont-email.me:

snip stoopid

> His insecurity issues are *massive*, and the funny part about it all
> is that he's the *only* one who thinks we all believe him :)

Huge lol!

You can always rely on The Fraudster for comic relief.
"*his* insecurity"! Hahahaha! "we all"! snort!

Btw Grumps... Many usenet cognoscenti regard "EOD" as a runaway. ie. If
you're confident of your position then there's no need for an EOD.

hth

alvey

Re: Appears NSW rail has realised their mistake.

<gKK%K.73710$R_o7.41851@fx33.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19077&group=aus.cars#19077

Newsgroups: aus.cars
From: Patty.O....@Coast.org (alvey)
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2022 00:51:24 GMT
 by: alvey - Fri, 7 Oct 2022 00:51 UTC

Grumpy Tech <grumpytech07@gmail.com> wrote in

> On 6/10/2022 11:31 am, Clocky wrote:
>> On 5/10/2022 5:07 pm, Grumpy Tech wrote:
>>> A few years back a certain idiotic protagonist on this group tried
>>> to bullshit his way on the issue of steel sleepers being suitable
>>> for high heat areas citing areas in outback NSW as an example.
>>>
>>> Today I was driving down the Newell Pothole (It's a disgrace for a
>>> national highway) and alongside the road from Moree to Narrabri is a
>>> new rail line going in to replace the old one. Hundreds and hundreds
>>> of concrete sleepers being laid. Well stuff me our resident gunzel
>>> guru of everything has egg on his face again.
>>>

>>> Apparently steel sleepers are not the be all and end all of rail
>>> afterall. I told him then he didn't know what he was talking about
>>> and it looks like I knew what I was talking about. Hey xeno, you
>>> stuffed up again.
>>

>> People might care if you weren't the morally vacuous bloke who posts
>> information about others in a public group, throws libel and
>> unprovoked abuse around like confetti all the while enabling a
>> habitually lying narcissistic arsehole.
>>
> People might care if what you say was true, but you seem to be stuck
> in a rut, not being able to move on. You also cannot see that your
> best friend is a habitually lying, narcissistic arsehole, who moves
> the goalposts so much that by the time he's finished they are down the
> other end of the field. He also publishes information about others in
> a public group. You've been abusing me for months with your lies about
> this. How about you grow up.

Oh cry me a river.

*Your* "best friend" has been telling whopping great, self-aggrandising
lies *and* foully abusing the crap out of people for decades, and you've
not said a word against the wretched creature. Given this, you look an
utter nutter telling *anyone* to "grow up".

alvey

Re: Appears NSW rail has realised their mistake.

<jq9d5nFanbU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19078&group=aus.cars#19078

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2022 12:19:48 +1100
 by: Xeno - Fri, 7 Oct 2022 01:19 UTC

On 7/10/2022 7:29 am, Grumpy Tech wrote:
> On 6/10/2022 11:04 am, Xeno wrote:
>> On 5/10/2022 8:07 pm, Grumpy Tech wrote:
>>> A few years back a certain idiotic protagonist on this group tried to
>>> bullshit his way on the issue of steel sleepers being suitable for
>>> high heat areas citing areas in outback NSW as an example.
>>>
>>> Today I was driving down the Newell Pothole (It's a disgrace for a
>>> national highway) and alongside the road from Moree to Narrabri is a
>>> new rail line going in to replace the old one. Hundreds and hundreds
>>> of concrete sleepers being laid. Well stuff me our resident gunzel
>>> guru of everything has egg on his face again.
>>>
>> The reality here is that *you* have the egg on your face. The Moree to
>> Narrabri line is part of the new *Inland Rail* project.
>>
>> http://www.artc.com.au/library/IRAS_Appendix_C.pdf
>>
>> You will note that the Inland Rail project is being built to Class 1
>> standard with Class 1C as the lowest level. As such, steel sleepers
>> are not ideal. I stated in the past, with evidence, that steel
>> sleepers are to be used in this country on class 2 to class 5 lines
>> inclusive. It stands to reason then that the Inland Rail project will
>> *not* be using steel sleepers.
>>>
>>> Apparently steel sleepers are not the be all and end all of rail
>>> afterall. I told him then he didn't know what he was talking about and
>>
>> Nobody. least of all me, ever said they were "the be all and end all
>> of rail". What I did say is that they were being used in Australia on
>> *class 2 to class 5 lines*. That's why they are not being used on the
>> Inland Rail project as that is *Class 1x*.
>>
>> The other point here is where the steel sleepers come from. The
>> *rails* are manufactured in Whyalla but steel sleepers are sourced,
>> for the most part, from the UK. One supplier;
>>
>> https://www.coldforge.com.au/products/steel-sleepers
>>
>> Note the *limits* of use of *steel sleepers* in the chart.
>>
>> In case you hadn't noticed, there have been a few issues with *global*
>> shipping since 2019. Supplies of any OS products have been fraught
>> since then so it would come as no surprise to me if higher cost
>> concrete sleepers are taking precedence over steel right now since
>> supply can be guaranteed. FYI, concrete sleepers can be - and are -
>> made locally. In these fraught global shipping times, local supply
>> makes a hell of a lot of sense;
>>
>> https://www.holcim.com.au/humes/precast-concrete-solutions/rail
>>

>>> it looks like I knew what I was talking about. Hey xeno, you stuffed
>>> up again.
>>
>> You just proved, once again, that *you* do not know what you are
>> talking about. Maybe, just maybe, in your time as a *fat controller*,
>> you should have got off your fat arse and had a look round! You might
>> just have found *enlightenment* as well as still being able to *fit in
>> the chair*.
>>

> It's funny that when I first stated my argument, you called bullshit and

I did call bullshit because that is exactly what *your argument* was!

> said it was because the sleepers were laid incorrectly. Then you found

And it was the case in Queensland because the ballast wasn't tamped
correctly *under* the sleepers. That point has been made in many a
research project on the efficacy of steel sleepers

> out I was correct and had to change your argument after researching the

You weren't correct. You didn't have a clue then, you still don't have a
clue now. FFS, you tried to use a *class 1 line* as evidence steel
sleepers are no good and this was *long after* I made my point on the
efficacy of steel sleepers on class 2-5 lines.
Steel sleepers have weight and speed limits depending on their size and
most are used *up to 100 kph* at maximum tonnage per axle. The chart in
the link below gives details;

https://www.coldforge.com.au/products/steel-sleepers

> different classes of lines. Let's face it xeno, you actually learnt
> something for once. You were wrong but you hate admitting it, so you
> shifted the goalposts once you found out you were wrong.

The only goalpost shifter here - is *you*.

> EOD.

The losers ending! The runaway kid! So funny

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: Appears NSW rail has realised their mistake.

<jq9d84FanbU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19079&group=aus.cars#19079

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2022 12:21:08 +1100
 by: Xeno - Fri, 7 Oct 2022 01:21 UTC

On 7/10/2022 7:39 am, Noddy wrote:
> On 7/10/2022 7:29 am, Grumpy Tech wrote:
>

>> It's funny that when I first stated my argument, you called bullshit
>> and said it was because the sleepers were laid incorrectly. Then you
>> found out I was correct and had to change your argument after
>> researching the different classes of lines. Let's face it xeno, you
>> actually learnt something for once. You were wrong but you hate
>> admitting it, so you shifted the goalposts once you found out you were
>> wrong.
>
> His standard operating procedure in fact.
>
> If we all had a buck for every time the useless, ignorant heap of shit
> posted reams of long winded and completely irrelevant *waffle* in
> pathetic attempts at goalpost shifting by desperately trying to make it
> appear that he knows what he's talking about we'd all be fucking
> millionaires many times over.
>
> His insecurity issues are *massive*, and the funny part about it all is
> that he's the *only* one who thinks we all believe him :)

Full length wall *M-I-R-R-O-R*!!!

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: Appears NSW rail has realised their mistake.

<jq9dd4FanbU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19080&group=aus.cars#19080

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2022 12:23:48 +1100
 by: Xeno - Fri, 7 Oct 2022 01:23 UTC

On 7/10/2022 11:42 am, alvey wrote:
> Noddy <me@home.com> wrote in news:thnee0$3f2kj$1@dont-email.me:
>
> snip stoopid
>
>> His insecurity issues are *massive*, and the funny part about it all
>> is that he's the *only* one who thinks we all believe him :)
>
> Huge lol!
>
> You can always rely on The Fraudster for comic relief.
> "*his* insecurity"! Hahahaha! "we all"! snort!
>
> Btw Grumps... Many usenet cognoscenti regard "EOD" as a runaway. ie. If
> you're confident of your position then there's no need for an EOD.
>
> hth
>

> alvey

All Grumpy is trying (and failing) to do is to shift goalposts and muddy
the waters. In his current riposte, he added absolutely zero facts into
the argument, just his misguided *opinion*. Which is still wrong.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: Appears NSW rail has realised their mistake.

<jq9dg0FanbU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19081&group=aus.cars#19081

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2022 12:25:20 +1100
 by: Xeno - Fri, 7 Oct 2022 01:25 UTC

On 7/10/2022 11:51 am, alvey wrote:
> Grumpy Tech <grumpytech07@gmail.com> wrote in

>>> People might care if you weren't the morally vacuous bloke who posts
>>> information about others in a public group, throws libel and
>>> unprovoked abuse around like confetti all the while enabling a
>>> habitually lying narcissistic arsehole.
>>>
>> People might care if what you say was true, but you seem to be stuck
>> in a rut, not being able to move on. You also cannot see that your
>> best friend is a habitually lying, narcissistic arsehole, who moves
>> the goalposts so much that by the time he's finished they are down the
>> other end of the field. He also publishes information about others in
>> a public group. You've been abusing me for months with your lies about
>> this. How about you grow up.
>
> Oh cry me a river.
>
> *Your* "best friend" has been telling whopping great, self-aggrandising
> lies *and* foully abusing the crap out of people for decades, and you've
> not said a word against the wretched creature. Given this, you look an
> utter nutter telling *anyone* to "grow up".
>

> alvey

Must be time for Grumpy to run away *again*! After all, he gets a
whopping every time he posts here these days. You'd think he'd learn!

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: Appears NSW rail has realised their mistake.

<jq9g8qFovcU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19082&group=aus.cars#19082

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2022 13:12:40 +1100
 by: Xeno - Fri, 7 Oct 2022 02:12 UTC

On 7/10/2022 10:55 am, Clocky wrote:
> On 7/10/2022 4:34 am, Grumpy Tech wrote:

>>> People might care if you weren't the morally vacuous bloke who posts
>>> information about others in a public group, throws libel and
>>> unprovoked abuse around like confetti all the while enabling a
>>> habitually lying narcissistic arsehole.
>>>
>> People might care if what you say was true,
>
> It is.
>
> <snip unread>

It is amazing how these clowns use *projection* as their *defence*.
Sadly, for them, it's not working.

Funny thing too, for a chap who *claims* to have worked in a
*university*, he has no clue of even the *fundamentals* of research.
Admittedly, as a pen pushing clerical walla, he'd be far from actual
research activities but he's learnt nothing, even by osmosis, from his
*experience* in a research environment. Took me mere seconds to look up
that line he was on about, after guessing it was part of the Inland Rail
Project, to come up with the class of rail and all relevant info about
it. Class 1 line, not class 2-5 where steel sleepers are much more
applicable.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: Appears NSW rail has realised their mistake.

<jqa0aeF32brU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19084&group=aus.cars#19084

From: fel...@goaway.com (yosemite sam)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2022 17:47:06 +1100
 by: yosemite sam - Fri, 7 Oct 2022 06:47 UTC

alvey wrote:
> Grumpy Tech <grumpytech07@gmail.com> wrote in

>>> People might care if you weren't the morally vacuous bloke who posts
>>> information about others in a public group, throws libel and
>>> unprovoked abuse around like confetti all the while enabling a
>>> habitually lying narcissistic arsehole.
>>>
>> People might care if what you say was true, but you seem to be stuck
>> in a rut, not being able to move on. You also cannot see that your
>> best friend is a habitually lying, narcissistic arsehole, who moves
>> the goalposts so much that by the time he's finished they are down the
>> other end of the field. He also publishes information about others in
>> a public group. You've been abusing me for months with your lies about
>> this. How about you grow up.
> Oh cry me a river.
>
> *Your* "best friend" has been telling whopping great, self-aggrandising
> lies *and* foully abusing the crap out of people for decades, and you've
> not said a word against the wretched creature. Given this, you look an
> utter nutter telling *anyone* to "grow up".

LOL! Gwumpy is such a HUGE hypocrite

--
https://tinyurl.com/Yosemite-Sam

FUCK PUTIN!!

Re: Appears NSW rail has realised their mistake.

<jqa47jF3kmiU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19087&group=aus.cars#19087

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2022 18:53:23 +1100
 by: Xeno - Fri, 7 Oct 2022 07:53 UTC

On 7/10/2022 5:47 pm, yosemite sam wrote:
> alvey wrote:
>> Grumpy Tech <grumpytech07@gmail.com> wrote in

>>> People might care if what you say was true, but you seem to be stuck
>>> in a rut, not being able to move on. You also cannot see that your
>>> best friend is a habitually lying, narcissistic arsehole, who moves
>>> the goalposts so much that by the time he's finished they are down the
>>> other end of the field. He also publishes information about others in
>>> a public group. You've been abusing me for months with your lies about
>>> this. How about you grow up.
>> Oh cry me a river.
>>
>> *Your* "best friend" has been telling whopping great, self-aggrandising
>> lies *and* foully abusing the crap out of people for decades, and you've
>> not said a word against the wretched creature. Given this, you look an
>> utter nutter telling *anyone* to "grow up".
>>

> LOL! Gwumpy is such a HUGE hypocrite

Isn't he though!

I just love the way he's trying to claim a win when he hasn't a clue
about the *facts*.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: Appears NSW rail has realised their mistake.

<jqcp6cFg708U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19097&group=aus.cars#19097

From: use...@account.invalid (keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2022 18:03:22 +1000
 by: keithr0 - Sat, 8 Oct 2022 08:03 UTC

On 5/10/2022 9:47 pm, Daryl wrote:
> On 5/10/2022 8:07 pm, Grumpy Tech wrote:
>> A few years back a certain idiotic protagonist on this group tried to
>> bullshit his way on the issue of steel sleepers being suitable for
>> high heat areas citing areas in outback NSW as an example.
>>
>> Today I was driving down the Newell Pothole (It's a disgrace for a
>> national highway) and alongside the road from Moree to Narrabri is a
>> new rail line going in to replace the old one. Hundreds and hundreds
>> of concrete sleepers being laid. Well stuff me our resident gunzel
>> guru of everything has egg on his face again.
>>

>> Apparently steel sleepers are not the be all and end all of rail
>> afterall. I told him then he didn't know what he was talking about and
>> it looks like I knew what I was talking about. Hey xeno, you stuffed
>> up again.
>

> LOL
> BTW where were you headed that you decided to use the Newell?
> Recently wife's brother and his wife drove Bris to Melb and they went
> via the Pacific Hwy towards Syd etc, apparently its slightly longer but
> a far better road with higher average speeds.
> Only reason I'm interested is I'm thinking of driving to Qld instead of
> flying just for something different.

I'd take the Pacific rather than the Newel any day. These days, the only
towns that you have to go through are Raymond Terrace just north of
Newcastle, and Coffs. Other than that you can sit on 100-110 Km/hr in
freeway conditions. Even getting through Sydney is a breeze although you
have to use toll roads.

Re: Appears NSW rail has realised their mistake.

<thrl1f$lpb$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19098&group=aus.cars#19098

From: grumpyte...@gmail.com (Grumpy Tech)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2022 20:56:47 +1000
 by: Grumpy Tech - Sat, 8 Oct 2022 10:56 UTC

On 8/10/2022 6:03 pm, keithr0 wrote:
> On 5/10/2022 9:47 pm, Daryl wrote:
>> On 5/10/2022 8:07 pm, Grumpy Tech wrote:
>>> A few years back a certain idiotic protagonist on this group tried to
>>> bullshit his way on the issue of steel sleepers being suitable for
>>> high heat areas citing areas in outback NSW as an example.
>>>
>>> Today I was driving down the Newell Pothole (It's a disgrace for a
>>> national highway) and alongside the road from Moree to Narrabri is a
>>> new rail line going in to replace the old one. Hundreds and hundreds
>>> of concrete sleepers being laid. Well stuff me our resident gunzel
>>> guru of everything has egg on his face again.
>>>

>>> Apparently steel sleepers are not the be all and end all of rail
>>> afterall. I told him then he didn't know what he was talking about
>>> and it looks like I knew what I was talking about. Hey xeno, you
>>> stuffed up again.
>>

>> LOL
>> BTW where were you headed that you decided to use the Newell?
>> Recently wife's brother and his wife drove Bris to Melb and they went
>> via the Pacific Hwy towards Syd etc, apparently its slightly longer
>> but a far better road with higher average speeds.
>> Only reason I'm interested is I'm thinking of driving to Qld instead
>> of flying just for something different.
>>
> I'd take the Pacific rather than the Newel any day. These days, the only
> towns that you have to go through are Raymond Terrace just north of
> Newcastle, and Coffs. Other than that you can sit on 100-110 Km/hr in
> freeway conditions. Even getting through Sydney is a breeze although you
> have to use toll roads.

That would have added 500km's to the trip.

Townsville to Rocky via the Bruce
Rocky to Goondi via the Leichardt (Fantastic Road. One of the best in QLD)
Goondi to Narrandera Via the Newell
Narrandera to Swan Hill
Swan Hill to South Western Victoria.

About 2900km done over 4 days. We were also dodging flooding and rain.
We went through some floodwater between Forbes and West Wyalong but it
was only inches deep and was controlled by road crews.

Re: Appears NSW rail has realised their mistake.

<jqedraFo347U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19102&group=aus.cars#19102

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2022 10:02:02 +1100
 by: Daryl - Sat, 8 Oct 2022 23:02 UTC

On 8/10/2022 7:03 pm, keithr0 wrote:
> On 5/10/2022 9:47 pm, Daryl wrote:
>> On 5/10/2022 8:07 pm, Grumpy Tech wrote:
>>> A few years back a certain idiotic protagonist on this group tried to
>>> bullshit his way on the issue of steel sleepers being suitable for
>>> high heat areas citing areas in outback NSW as an example.
>>>
>>> Today I was driving down the Newell Pothole (It's a disgrace for a
>>> national highway) and alongside the road from Moree to Narrabri is a
>>> new rail line going in to replace the old one. Hundreds and hundreds
>>> of concrete sleepers being laid. Well stuff me our resident gunzel
>>> guru of everything has egg on his face again.
>>>

>>> Apparently steel sleepers are not the be all and end all of rail
>>> afterall. I told him then he didn't know what he was talking about
>>> and it looks like I knew what I was talking about. Hey xeno, you
>>> stuffed up again.
>>

>> LOL
>> BTW where were you headed that you decided to use the Newell?
>> Recently wife's brother and his wife drove Bris to Melb and they went
>> via the Pacific Hwy towards Syd etc, apparently its slightly longer
>> but a far better road with higher average speeds.
>> Only reason I'm interested is I'm thinking of driving to Qld instead
>> of flying just for something different.
>>
> I'd take the Pacific rather than the Newel any day. These days, the only
> towns that you have to go through are Raymond Terrace just north of
> Newcastle, and Coffs. Other than that you can sit on 100-110 Km/hr in
> freeway conditions. Even getting through Sydney is a breeze although you
> have to use toll roads.

Seems like the best way to go if you are driving Brisbane to Melb but
Grumpy wasn't headed to Melb.

--
Daryl

Re: Appears NSW rail has realised their mistake.

<jqhu9iFa4cvU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19222&group=aus.cars#19222

From: use...@account.invalid (keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2022 17:01:05 +1000
 by: keithr0 - Mon, 10 Oct 2022 07:01 UTC

On 6/10/2022 11:04 am, Xeno wrote:
> On 5/10/2022 8:07 pm, Grumpy Tech wrote:
>> A few years back a certain idiotic protagonist on this group tried to
>> bullshit his way on the issue of steel sleepers being suitable for
>> high heat areas citing areas in outback NSW as an example.
>>
>> Today I was driving down the Newell Pothole (It's a disgrace for a
>> national highway) and alongside the road from Moree to Narrabri is a
>> new rail line going in to replace the old one. Hundreds and hundreds
>> of concrete sleepers being laid. Well stuff me our resident gunzel
>> guru of everything has egg on his face again.
>>
> The reality here is that *you* have the egg on your face. The Moree to
> Narrabri line is part of the new *Inland Rail* project.
>
> http://www.artc.com.au/library/IRAS_Appendix_C.pdf
>
> You will note that the Inland Rail project is being built to Class 1
> standard with Class 1C as the lowest level. As such, steel sleepers are
> not ideal. I stated in the past, with evidence, that steel sleepers are
> to be used in this country on class 2 to class 5 lines inclusive. It
> stands to reason then that the Inland Rail project will *not* be using
> steel sleepers.
>>
>> Apparently steel sleepers are not the be all and end all of rail
>> afterall. I told him then he didn't know what he was talking about and
>
> Nobody. least of all me, ever said they were "the be all and end all of
> rail". What I did say is that they were being used in Australia on
> *class 2 to class 5 lines*. That's why they are not being used on the
> Inland Rail project as that is *Class 1x*.
>
> The other point here is where the steel sleepers come from. The *rails*
> are manufactured in Whyalla but steel sleepers are sourced, for the most
> part, from the UK. One supplier;
>
> https://www.coldforge.com.au/products/steel-sleepers
>
> Note the *limits* of use of *steel sleepers* in the chart.
>
> In case you hadn't noticed, there have been a few issues with *global*
> shipping since 2019. Supplies of any OS products have been fraught since
> then so it would come as no surprise to me if higher cost concrete
> sleepers are taking precedence over steel right now since supply can be
> guaranteed. FYI, concrete sleepers can be - and are - made locally. In
> these fraught global shipping times, local supply makes a hell of a lot
> of sense;
>
> https://www.holcim.com.au/humes/precast-concrete-solutions/rail
>

>> it looks like I knew what I was talking about. Hey xeno, you stuffed
>> up again.
>
> You just proved, once again, that *you* do not know what you are talking
> about. Maybe, just maybe, in your time as a *fat controller*, you should
> have got off your fat arse and had a look round! You might just have
> found *enlightenment* as well as still being able to *fit in the chair*.

NSW Railcorp standards doc ESC 230 SLEEPERS AND TRACK SUPPORT

4.9.7.5 Prohibited Configurations

The following configurations are not permitted for permanent works on
RailCorp trackwork:

• Steel sleepers <-----------------------------------*
• Non-elastic fastening systems with 60kg/m rail
• Non-elastic fastening systems with concrete sleepers
• Elastic and non-elastic fastenings on the same sleeper
• Elastic fastenings on more than 1 in 3 sleepers in JWR trac

Re: Appears NSW rail has realised their mistake.

<jqhuanFa4cvU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19223&group=aus.cars#19223

From: use...@account.invalid (keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2022 17:01:44 +1000

On 9/10/2022 9:02 am, Daryl wrote:
> On 8/10/2022 7:03 pm, keithr0 wrote:

>>> LOL
>>> BTW where were you headed that you decided to use the Newell?
>>> Recently wife's brother and his wife drove Bris to Melb and they went
>>> via the Pacific Hwy towards Syd etc, apparently its slightly longer
>>> but a far better road with higher average speeds.
>>> Only reason I'm interested is I'm thinking of driving to Qld instead
>>> of flying just for something different.
>>>
>> I'd take the Pacific rather than the Newel any day. These days, the
>> only towns that you have to go through are Raymond Terrace just north
>> of Newcastle, and Coffs. Other than that you can sit on 100-110 Km/hr
>> in freeway conditions. Even getting through Sydney is a breeze
>> although you have to use toll roads.
>

> Seems like the best way to go if you are driving Brisbane to Melb but
> Grumpy wasn't headed to Melb.

I was think more about your case.

Re: Appears NSW rail has realised their mistake.

<jqi7koFbh00U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19240&group=aus.cars#19240

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2022 20:40:40 +1100
 by: Daryl - Mon, 10 Oct 2022 09:40 UTC

On 10/10/2022 6:01 pm, keithr0 wrote:
> On 9/10/2022 9:02 am, Daryl wrote:

>>> I'd take the Pacific rather than the Newel any day. These days, the
>>> only towns that you have to go through are Raymond Terrace just north
>>> of Newcastle, and Coffs. Other than that you can sit on 100-110 Km/hr
>>> in freeway conditions. Even getting through Sydney is a breeze
>>> although you have to use toll roads.
>>

>> Seems like the best way to go if you are driving Brisbane to Melb but
>> Grumpy wasn't headed to Melb.
>>
> I was think more about your case.

No problem, been a very long time since I drove to Qld from Vic and it
looks like there has been a change of route for the better, the Newell
was the shortest but it has never been a great road.

--
Daryl

Re: Appears NSW rail has realised their mistake.

<ti1132$q5f0$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19267&group=aus.cars#19267

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2022 22:53:05 +1100
 by: Noddy - Mon, 10 Oct 2022 11:53 UTC

On 10/10/2022 6:01 pm, keithr0 wrote:
> On 6/10/2022 11:04 am, Xeno wrote:

>> You just proved, once again, that *you* do not know what you are
>> talking about. Maybe, just maybe, in your time as a *fat controller*,
>> you should have got off your fat arse and had a look round! You might
>> just have found *enlightenment* as well as still being able to *fit in
>> the chair*.
>>

> NSW Railcorp standards doc ESC 230 SLEEPERS AND TRACK SUPPORT
>
> 4.9.7.5 Prohibited Configurations
>
> The following configurations are not permitted for permanent works on
> RailCorp trackwork:
>
> • Steel sleepers            <-----------------------------------*
> • Non-elastic fastening systems with 60kg/m rail
> • Non-elastic fastening systems with concrete sleepers
> • Elastic and non-elastic fastenings on the same sleeper
> • Elastic fastenings on more than 1 in 3 sleepers in JWR trac

ROTFL :)

Owned :)

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: Appears NSW rail has realised their mistake.

<jqkgkcFmcepU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19348&group=aus.cars#19348

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2022 17:26:16 +1100
 by: Xeno - Tue, 11 Oct 2022 06:26 UTC

On 10/10/2022 10:53 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 10/10/2022 6:01 pm, keithr0 wrote:
>> On 6/10/2022 11:04 am, Xeno wrote:
>
>>> You just proved, once again, that *you* do not know what you are
>>> talking about. Maybe, just maybe, in your time as a *fat controller*,
>>> you should have got off your fat arse and had a look round! You might
>>> just have found *enlightenment* as well as still being able to *fit
>>> in the chair*.
>>>

>> NSW Railcorp standards doc ESC 230 SLEEPERS AND TRACK SUPPORT
>>
>> 4.9.7.5 Prohibited Configurations
>>
>> The following configurations are not permitted for permanent works on
>> RailCorp trackwork:
>>
>> • Steel sleepers            <-----------------------------------*
>> • Non-elastic fastening systems with 60kg/m rail
>> • Non-elastic fastening systems with concrete sleepers
>> • Elastic and non-elastic fastenings on the same sleeper
>> • Elastic fastenings on more than 1 in 3 sleepers in JWR trac
>
> ROTFL :)
>
> Owned :)

You have been, yes. And so has Keith.

The track in question, and a lot more in NSW, is owned/leased by ARTC.

https://inlandrail.artc.com.au/map-of-inland-rail-route/

https://www.artc.com.au/about/network/

ARTC have their own standards for track hardware.

https://extranet.artc.com.au/docs/eng/track-civil/procedures/sf/ETC-02-03.pdf

https://extranet.artc.com.au/docs/eng/track-civil/procedures/sf/ETC-02-04.pdf

https://extranet.artc.com.au/docs/eng/track-civil/procedures/sf/ETG-02-01.pdf