"Everybody is talking about the weather but nobody does anything about it." -- Mark Twain

aus+uk / uk.tech.digital-tv / TVs and the internet

SubjectAuthor
* TVs and the internetBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
+* Re: TVs and the internetJeff Layman
|`- Re: TVs and the internetBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
+* Re: TVs and the internetScott
|+- Re: TVs and the internetSH
|+* Re: TVs and the internetcharles
||+* Re: TVs and the internetTim+
|||+- Re: TVs and the internetcharles
|||`- Re: TVs and the internetBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
||`* Re: TVs and the internetBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
|| `* Re: TVs and the internetScott
||  `* Re: TVs and the internetMax Demian
||   `* Re: TVs and the internetJeff Layman
||    `* Re: TVs and the internetMrSpook fn3yr7
||     `* Re: TVs and the internetScott
||      `* Re: TVs and the internetMrSpook mmox
||       +* Re: TVs and the internetScott
||       |`* Re: TVs and the internetMrSpook mb
||       | +* Re: TVs and the internetScott
||       | |`* Re: TVs and the internetMrSpook M4 pq2q
||       | | +* Re: TVs and the internetChris Green
||       | | |`- Re: TVs and the internetMrSpook xgfT4afd
||       | | `* Re: TVs and the internetScott
||       | |  `* Re: TVs and the internetMrSpook h
||       | |   `* Re: TVs and the internetScott
||       | |    `- Re: TVs and the internetMrSpook icv
||       | `* Re: TVs and the internet#Paul
||       |  `- Re: TVs and the internetMrSpook c1vy0Ww9
||       `* Re: TVs and the internetTim+
||        `* Re: TVs and the internetMrSpook smnacr
||         `* Re: TVs and the internetRoderick Stewart
||          +- Re: TVs and the internetMrSpook ts4DE74x
||          `* Re: TVs and the internetJeff Layman
||           `* Re: TVs and the internetMrSpook 8xvep8iys
||            +* Re: TVs and the internetTweed
||            |`- Re: TVs and the internetMrSpook cusctnek4k
||            `* Re: TVs and the internetJeff Layman
||             `* Re: TVs and the internetMrSpook 39
||              `* Re: TVs and the internetJeff Layman
||               `* Re: TVs and the internetMrSpook 0hyr4V
||                `- Re: TVs and the internetJeff Layman
|`- Re: TVs and the internetBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
+* Re: TVs and the internetWoody
|+* Re: TVs and the internetAndy Burns
||`* Re: TVs and the internettony sayer
|| `* Re: TVs and the internetNY
||  `- Re: TVs and the internettony sayer
|`* Re: TVs and the internetChris Green
| +- Re: TVs and the internetMrSpook 0farr05pt
| +- Re: TVs and the internetRobin
| `* Re: TVs and the internetWoody
|  +* Re: TVs and the internetNY
|  |`* Re: TVs and the internetIndy Jess John
|  | `- Re: TVs and the internetRoderick Stewart
|  `* Re: TVs and the internetScott
|   `- Re: TVs and the internetDave W
`* Re: TVs and the internetJNugent
 `* Re: TVs and the internetMax Demian
  `- Re: TVs and the internettony sayer

Pages:123
TVs and the internet

<s8figk$bsa$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22798&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#22798

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: TVs and the internet
Date: Mon, 24 May 2021 07:53:06 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Mon, 24 May 2021 06:53 UTC

Every so often, my Samsung tv, last years model, fails to connect to the
router when its turned on. No amount of fiddling with settings fixes this,
but its less than 2m from the router. The only way is to it off, pull out
the mains for about 30 seconds, then replace it and turn it on again.
Is this a common issue on TVs? You first notice it when you try to get lady
A to operate, when it complains there ins no internet available of course,
and hence no internet delivered content either. I could hard wire it I
guess, but due to the closeness it seems a little silly.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

Re: TVs and the internet

<s8fj9k$ohg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22799&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#22799

From: jmlay...@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Re: TVs and the internet
Date: Mon, 24 May 2021 08:06:28 +0100
 by: Jeff Layman - Mon, 24 May 2021 07:06 UTC

Never seen this on my Panasonic, which is 18 months old and about five
metres from the router. Once it's turned on you have to give the TV
enough time to run its software to connect to the router, or it won't
find the connection. After that time it's fine. The TV has a fast start,
with the picture and sound starting in about three seconds, but it takes
another 10 - 15 seconds or so for the wifi link to be made to the
router. This is using the remote to connect via the TV's apps; no voice
control is involved.

--

Jeff

On 24/05/2021 07:53, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
> Every so often, my Samsung tv, last years model, fails to connect to the
> router when its turned on. No amount of fiddling with settings fixes this,
> but its less than 2m from the router. The only way is to it off, pull out
> the mains for about 30 seconds, then replace it and turn it on again.
> Is this a common issue on TVs? You first notice it when you try to get lady
> A to operate, when it complains there ins no internet available of course,
> and hence no internet delivered content either. I could hard wire it I
> guess, but due to the closeness it seems a little silly.
> Brian

Re: TVs and the internet

<4snmagptvrqeihea6jghccfkr1e2jgft3k@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22803&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#22803

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 24 May 2021 09:12:01 +0100
 by: Scott - Mon, 24 May 2021 08:12 UTC

On Mon, 24 May 2021 07:53:06 +0100, "Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)"
<briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>Every so often, my Samsung tv, last years model, fails to connect to the
>router when its turned on. No amount of fiddling with settings fixes this,
>but its less than 2m from the router. The only way is to it off, pull out
>the mains for about 30 seconds, then replace it and turn it on again.
> Is this a common issue on TVs? You first notice it when you try to get lady
>A to operate, when it complains there ins no internet available of course,
>and hence no internet delivered content either. I could hard wire it I
>guess, but due to the closeness it seems a little silly.

Surely the closeness makes it much easier to hard wire. I always
thought ethernet was preferred where possible.

Re: TVs and the internet

<s8fn9h$1j22$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22805&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#22805

From: i.love.s...@spam.com (SH)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 24 May 2021 09:14:42 +0100
 by: SH - Mon, 24 May 2021 08:14 UTC

On 24/05/2021 09:12, Scott wrote:
> On Mon, 24 May 2021 07:53:06 +0100, "Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)"
> <briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Every so often, my Samsung tv, last years model, fails to connect to the
>> router when its turned on. No amount of fiddling with settings fixes this,
>> but its less than 2m from the router. The only way is to it off, pull out
>> the mains for about 30 seconds, then replace it and turn it on again.
>> Is this a common issue on TVs? You first notice it when you try to get lady
>> A to operate, when it complains there ins no internet available of course,
>> and hence no internet delivered content either. I could hard wire it I
>> guess, but due to the closeness it seems a little silly.
>
> Surely the closeness makes it much easier to hard wire. I always
> thought ethernet was preferred where possible.

+1

cat5e patch cables in any colour and any integer metre length are
available for a couple of quid from CPC...

Re: TVs and the internet

<s8fnva$dlv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22806&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#22806

From: harroga...@ntlworld.com (Woody)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 24 May 2021 09:26:17 +0100
 by: Woody - Mon, 24 May 2021 08:26 UTC

This is often caused by near neighbours using the same router address range.

Simplest answer: change the default address of your router. Default will
be something like 192.168.x.y where x is 0 or 1 and y is usually 1 but
on BT or Plusnet will be 254. Suggest changing the value of x to, say,
33 then your network will have a unique address compared with your
neighbours.

Second go into the TV and do a manual network setup. Importantly set the
value of y outside the DHCP range of your router. For BT the range is
usually 63 to 253, Virgin will be 2 to a big number. If you are on BT
set it to, say, 45 so your TV address will be 192.168.33.45

Doing this will mean that your TV will always log in to your router only
and your router will accept it and list it as a permanent connection
rather than one that times out every 24 hours or whatever.

I realise that for Brian this will mean some outside help but for others
this is straight forward.

It also means that your router will be more secure from outside
interference or influence.

On Mon 24/05/2021 07:53, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
> Every so often, my Samsung tv, last years model, fails to connect to the
> router when its turned on. No amount of fiddling with settings fixes this,
> but its less than 2m from the router. The only way is to it off, pull out
> the mains for about 30 seconds, then replace it and turn it on again.
> Is this a common issue on TVs? You first notice it when you try to get lady
> A to operate, when it complains there ins no internet available of course,
> and hence no internet delivered content either. I could hard wire it I
> guess, but due to the closeness it seems a little silly.
> Brian

Re: TVs and the internet

<ih16miFtooeU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22808&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#22808

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 24 May 2021 09:33:22 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 24 May 2021 08:33 UTC

Woody wrote:

> This is often caused by near neighbours using the same router address
> range.

With respect, that's bollox!

It could only make any difference if they used the same WiFi SSID, same
password, as well as the same IP subnet, and if that's the case you've
got bigger problems than a smartTV not responding to she who must not be
mentioned.

Re: TVs and the internet

<v96snh-dk29.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22810&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#22810

From: cl...@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 24 May 2021 09:55:59 +0100
 by: Chris Green - Mon, 24 May 2021 08:55 UTC

Woody <harrogate3@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> This is often caused by near neighbours using the same router address range.
>
> Simplest answer: change the default address of your router. Default will
> be something like 192.168.x.y where x is 0 or 1 and y is usually 1 but
> on BT or Plusnet will be 254. Suggest changing the value of x to, say,
> 33 then your network will have a unique address compared with your
> neighbours.
>
> Second go into the TV and do a manual network setup. Importantly set the
> value of y outside the DHCP range of your router. For BT the range is
> usually 63 to 253, Virgin will be 2 to a big number. If you are on BT
> set it to, say, 45 so your TV address will be 192.168.33.45

I really don't understand how you think this would happen. If (as
they will) the two routers have different WiFi SSIDs then 'your' TV
won't connect to the neighbour's router, unless of course you've
entered the neighbour's router's SSID (and password) into your router.

--
Chris Green
·

Re: TVs and the internet

<s8fqf7$16e7$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22811&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#22811

From: MrSpook_...@a1m_cmtlpm.eu
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 24 May 2021 09:08:55 +0000 (UTC)
 by: MrSpook_...@a1m_cmtlpm.eu - Mon, 24 May 2021 09:08 UTC

On Mon, 24 May 2021 09:55:59 +0100
Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
>Woody <harrogate3@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>> This is often caused by near neighbours using the same router address range.
>>
>> Simplest answer: change the default address of your router. Default will
>> be something like 192.168.x.y where x is 0 or 1 and y is usually 1 but
>> on BT or Plusnet will be 254. Suggest changing the value of x to, say,
>> 33 then your network will have a unique address compared with your
>> neighbours.
>>
>> Second go into the TV and do a manual network setup. Importantly set the
>> value of y outside the DHCP range of your router. For BT the range is
>> usually 63 to 253, Virgin will be 2 to a big number. If you are on BT
>> set it to, say, 45 so your TV address will be 192.168.33.45
>>
>I really don't understand how you think this would happen. If (as
>they will) the two routers have different WiFi SSIDs then 'your' TV
>won't connect to the neighbour's router, unless of course you've
>entered the neighbour's router's SSID (and password) into your router.

I don't think he understands the difference between the wifi layer and the
higher level IP layer.

Re: TVs and the internet

<43dc6574-abeb-d7ed-1de1-ff2139057bb1@outlook.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22812&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#22812

From: rbw...@outlook.com (Robin)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 24 May 2021 10:30:49 +0100
 by: Robin - Mon, 24 May 2021 09:30 UTC

On 24/05/2021 09:55, Chris Green wrote:
> Woody <harrogate3@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>> This is often caused by near neighbours using the same router address range.
>>
>> Simplest answer: change the default address of your router. Default will
>> be something like 192.168.x.y where x is 0 or 1 and y is usually 1 but
>> on BT or Plusnet will be 254. Suggest changing the value of x to, say,
>> 33 then your network will have a unique address compared with your
>> neighbours.
>>
>> Second go into the TV and do a manual network setup. Importantly set the
>> value of y outside the DHCP range of your router. For BT the range is
>> usually 63 to 253, Virgin will be 2 to a big number. If you are on BT
>> set it to, say, 45 so your TV address will be 192.168.33.45
>>
> I really don't understand how you think this would happen. If (as
> they will) the two routers have different WiFi SSIDs then 'your' TV
> won't connect to the neighbour's router, unless of course you've
> entered the neighbour's router's SSID (and password) into your router.

But if the neighbours share one router... :)

--
Robin

Re: TVs and the internet

<59319163c7charles@candehope.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22813&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#22813

From: char...@candehope.me.uk (charles)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 24 May 2021 10:23:31 +0100
 by: charles - Mon, 24 May 2021 09:23 UTC

In article <4snmagptvrqeihea6jghccfkr1e2jgft3k@4ax.com>, Scott
<newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, 24 May 2021 07:53:06 +0100, "Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)"
> <briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> >Every so often, my Samsung tv, last years model, fails to connect to the
> > router when its turned on. No amount of fiddling with settings fixes
> >this, but its less than 2m from the router. The only way is to it off,
> >pull out the mains for about 30 seconds, then replace it and turn it on
> >again. Is this a common issue on TVs? You first notice it when you try
> >to get lady A to operate, when it complains there ins no internet
> >available of course, and hence no internet delivered content either. I
> >could hard wire it I guess, but due to the closeness it seems a little
> >silly.

> Surely the closeness makes it much easier to hard wire. I always thought
> ethernet was preferred where possible.

Not so easy when it's the other side of a fireplace - as it is here.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Re: TVs and the internet

<343303028.643542413.180336.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22815&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#22815

From: tim.dow...@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: 24 May 2021 09:49:07 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Mon, 24 May 2021 09:49 UTC

charles <charles@candehope.me.uk> wrote:
> In article <4snmagptvrqeihea6jghccfkr1e2jgft3k@4ax.com>, Scott
> <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
>> On Mon, 24 May 2021 07:53:06 +0100, "Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)"
>> <briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>> Every so often, my Samsung tv, last years model, fails to connect to the
>>> router when its turned on. No amount of fiddling with settings fixes
>>> this, but its less than 2m from the router. The only way is to it off,
>>> pull out the mains for about 30 seconds, then replace it and turn it on
>>> again. Is this a common issue on TVs? You first notice it when you try
>>> to get lady A to operate, when it complains there ins no internet
>>> available of course, and hence no internet delivered content either. I
>>> could hard wire it I guess, but due to the closeness it seems a little
>>> silly.
>
>> Surely the closeness makes it much easier to hard wire. I always thought
>> ethernet was preferred where possible.
>
> Not so easy when it's the other side of a fireplace - as it is here.

I’m sure Brian could use one of those powerline adapters that he’s so fond
of. ;-)

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: TVs and the internet

<s8ft3r$fc2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22816&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#22816

From: harroga...@ntlworld.com (Woody)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 24 May 2021 10:54:02 +0100
 by: Woody - Mon, 24 May 2021 09:54 UTC

On Mon 24/05/2021 09:55, Chris Green wrote:
> Woody <harrogate3@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>> This is often caused by near neighbours using the same router address range.
>>
>> Simplest answer: change the default address of your router. Default will
>> be something like 192.168.x.y where x is 0 or 1 and y is usually 1 but
>> on BT or Plusnet will be 254. Suggest changing the value of x to, say,
>> 33 then your network will have a unique address compared with your
>> neighbours.
>>
>> Second go into the TV and do a manual network setup. Importantly set the
>> value of y outside the DHCP range of your router. For BT the range is
>> usually 63 to 253, Virgin will be 2 to a big number. If you are on BT
>> set it to, say, 45 so your TV address will be 192.168.33.45
>>
> I really don't understand how you think this would happen. If (as
> they will) the two routers have different WiFi SSIDs then 'your' TV
> won't connect to the neighbour's router, unless of course you've
> entered the neighbour's router's SSID (and password) into your router.

Put it like this. I can see my router, two neighbours routers, and about
six different networks from two small local authority buildings across
the road. My wi-fi connections used to drop out and restore quite
regularly especially since one of the foreign networks is open. However
since I changed my router address and started placing regular items into
the non-DHCP range the problem has completely gone from this house.

I accept that I may be wrong theoretically in terms of networks, but
clearly no-one told the kit in this household - and we've got plenty of
that!!

Re: TVs and the internet

<593197a087charles@candehope.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22821&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#22821

From: char...@candehope.me.uk (charles)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 24 May 2021 11:31:42 +0100
 by: charles - Mon, 24 May 2021 10:31 UTC

In article
<343303028.643542413.180336.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>, Tim+
<tim.downie@gmail.com> wrote:
> charles <charles@candehope.me.uk> wrote:
> > In article <4snmagptvrqeihea6jghccfkr1e2jgft3k@4ax.com>, Scott
> > <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

> >> Surely the closeness makes it much easier to hard wire. I always
> >> thought ethernet was preferred where possible.
> >
> > Not so easy when it's the other side of a fireplace - as it is here.
> >

> I'm sure Brian could use one of those powerline adapters that he's so
> fond of. ;-)

believe it or not, that's what I do.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Re: TVs and the internet

<s8g0h2$haj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22826&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#22826

From: me...@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 24 May 2021 11:51:54 +0100
 by: NY - Mon, 24 May 2021 10:51 UTC

"Woody" <harrogate3@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> On Mon 24/05/2021 09:55, Chris Green wrote:
>> Woody <harrogate3@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>>> This is often caused by near neighbours using the same router address
>>> range.
>>>
>>> Simplest answer: change the default address of your router. Default will
>>> be something like 192.168.x.y where x is 0 or 1 and y is usually 1 but
>>> on BT or Plusnet will be 254. Suggest changing the value of x to, say,
>>> 33 then your network will have a unique address compared with your
>>> neighbours.
>>>
>>> Second go into the TV and do a manual network setup. Importantly set the
>>> value of y outside the DHCP range of your router. For BT the range is
>>> usually 63 to 253, Virgin will be 2 to a big number. If you are on BT
>>> set it to, say, 45 so your TV address will be 192.168.33.45
>>>
>> I really don't understand how you think this would happen. If (as
>> they will) the two routers have different WiFi SSIDs then 'your' TV
>> won't connect to the neighbour's router, unless of course you've
>> entered the neighbour's router's SSID (and password) into your router.
>>

> Put it like this. I can see my router, two neighbours routers, and about
> six different networks from two small local authority buildings across the
> road. My wi-fi connections used to drop out and restore quite regularly
> especially since one of the foreign networks is open. However since I
> changed my router address and started placing regular items into the
> non-DHCP range the problem has completely gone from this house.
>
> I accept that I may be wrong theoretically in terms of networks, but
> clearly no-one told the kit in this household - and we've got plenty of
> that!!

Are you saying that your PCs used to be able to connect to your neighbours'
routers even though their SSIDs and passwords were not configured into the
list of known, connect-automatically-using-this-password networks on the
PCs?

I'm not sure what computers do if they encounter a network with no wireless
password. Surely they don't try to connect to it. The difficulty is if your
network (with password) and a nearby one (with no password) have the same
name. That's why you make sure your SSID is unique within the range of what
can be seen.

Re: TVs and the internet

<0d2nagdpvqhvrbc2rs14012m691f43lo4e@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22827&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#22827

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 24 May 2021 12:12:59 +0100
 by: Scott - Mon, 24 May 2021 11:12 UTC

On Mon, 24 May 2021 10:54:02 +0100, Woody <harrogate3@ntlworld.com>
wrote:

>On Mon 24/05/2021 09:55, Chris Green wrote:
>> Woody <harrogate3@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>>> This is often caused by near neighbours using the same router address range.
>>>
>>> Simplest answer: change the default address of your router. Default will
>>> be something like 192.168.x.y where x is 0 or 1 and y is usually 1 but
>>> on BT or Plusnet will be 254. Suggest changing the value of x to, say,
>>> 33 then your network will have a unique address compared with your
>>> neighbours.
>>>
>>> Second go into the TV and do a manual network setup. Importantly set the
>>> value of y outside the DHCP range of your router. For BT the range is
>>> usually 63 to 253, Virgin will be 2 to a big number. If you are on BT
>>> set it to, say, 45 so your TV address will be 192.168.33.45
>>>
>> I really don't understand how you think this would happen. If (as
>> they will) the two routers have different WiFi SSIDs then 'your' TV
>> won't connect to the neighbour's router, unless of course you've
>> entered the neighbour's router's SSID (and password) into your router.
>>
>Put it like this. I can see my router, two neighbours routers, and about
>six different networks from two small local authority buildings across
>the road. My wi-fi connections used to drop out and restore quite
>regularly especially since one of the foreign networks is open. However
>since I changed my router address and started placing regular items into
>the non-DHCP range the problem has completely gone from this house.
>
>I accept that I may be wrong theoretically in terms of networks, but
>clearly no-one told the kit in this household - and we've got plenty of
>that!!

I thought it had more to do with picking a 'quiet' channel than an IP
address. Mine defaults to one of (?)12 channels and it is possible to
change this if it turns out that particular channel is congested. Also
, you can play around with 2.4 MHz or 5MHz if one is causing problems.

Re: TVs and the internet

<m9MqI.515624$Qjyf.189907@fx14.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22829&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#22829

From: jimwar...@OMITblueyonder.co.uk (Indy Jess John)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 24 May 2021 12:32:33 +0100
 by: Indy Jess John - Mon, 24 May 2021 11:32 UTC

On 24/05/2021 11:51, NY wrote:
> "Woody"<harrogate3@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

>>> I really don't understand how you think this would happen. If (as
>>> they will) the two routers have different WiFi SSIDs then 'your' TV
>>> won't connect to the neighbour's router, unless of course you've
>>> entered the neighbour's router's SSID (and password) into your router.
>>>

>> Put it like this. I can see my router, two neighbours routers, and about
>> six different networks from two small local authority buildings across the
>> road. My wi-fi connections used to drop out and restore quite regularly
>> especially since one of the foreign networks is open. However since I
>> changed my router address and started placing regular items into the
>> non-DHCP range the problem has completely gone from this house.
>>
>> I accept that I may be wrong theoretically in terms of networks, but
>> clearly no-one told the kit in this household - and we've got plenty of
>> that!!
>
> Are you saying that your PCs used to be able to connect to your neighbours'
> routers even though their SSIDs and passwords were not configured into the
> list of known, connect-automatically-using-this-password networks on the
> PCs?
>
> I'm not sure what computers do if they encounter a network with no wireless
> password. Surely they don't try to connect to it. The difficulty is if your
> network (with password) and a nearby one (with no password) have the same
> name. That's why you make sure your SSID is unique within the range of what
> can be seen.

If you are using a Windows PC, then you set which networks you can
connect to automatically, and the sequence it tries them in. It doesn't
automatically connect to anything else. You can manually disconnect from
whichever one it is using and instruct it to connect to an alternative
it lists, but unless you choose one with no password required the
attempt to connect presents you with an "enter password" screen and you
can't get past that unless you have the right password.

There is an exception to that. Some BT routers and some VM routers have
a main SSID and a second one which looks like it has no password but it
only gives a login screen. This allows those with a BT (or VM) ISP
account to take a laptop somewhere else and using their own user ID and
password, they can piggy-back on another's connection path to the
services they enjoy at home. The main SSID has priority so you only use
spare capacity on connections to the second one.

In addition, there are some genuine open networks with no password
required, which shouldn't be used for anything private but is quite
useful for browsing "what's on" or similar at away-from-home locations.
I have a tablet which will automatically connect to the open network
broadcast from all Starbucks premises if it exhausts my list of
preferences. Internet access alongside a cup of coffee can be useful
sometimes.

Jim

Re: TVs and the internet

<of4nagpb2sr3uh5kq28p2tlh641tt6h5mg@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22830&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#22830

From: rjf...@escapetime.myzen.co.uk (Roderick Stewart)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 24 May 2021 12:55:02 +0100
 by: Roderick Stewart - Mon, 24 May 2021 11:55 UTC

On Mon, 24 May 2021 12:32:33 +0100, Indy Jess John
<jimwarren@OMITblueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

[...]
>> Are you saying that your PCs used to be able to connect to your neighbours'
>> routers even though their SSIDs and passwords were not configured into the
>> list of known, connect-automatically-using-this-password networks on the
>> PCs?
[...]
>If you are using a Windows PC, then you set which networks you can
>connect to automatically, and the sequence it tries them in. It doesn't
>automatically connect to anything else.

The OP says he has a TV that sometimes doesn't connect. It's not a PC
running Windows.

If he does happen to have a neighbour with an unsecured network, and
it is the TV occasionally connecting to this that is the cause of the
problem, then it would be best investigated frst using a computer or
smartphone because they can show which nearby networks are unsecured.
Some phone apps also show the signal strengths, which would be an
extra indication of which ones are likely to cause problems.

If the problem turns out to be a neigbour with an unsecured network,
then some tactful advice to them could be helpful to all concerned.

Rod.

Re: TVs and the internet

<ih1s00F3a0gU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22834&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#22834

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 24 May 2021 15:36:48 +0100
 by: JNugent - Mon, 24 May 2021 14:36 UTC

On 24/05/2021 07:53 am, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
> Every so often, my Samsung tv, last years model, fails to connect to the
> router when its turned on. No amount of fiddling with settings fixes this,
> but its less than 2m from the router. The only way is to it off, pull out
> the mains for about 30 seconds, then replace it and turn it on again.
> Is this a common issue on TVs? You first notice it when you try to get lady
> A to operate, when it complains there ins no internet available of course,
> and hence no internet delivered content either. I could hard wire it I
> guess, but due to the closeness it seems a little silly.
> Brian

A guess: computers have to be turned off now and then in order not to
eventually crash. The same, I suggest, is true of that sort of computer
called a Smart TV, though I would guess that very few are switched off
overnight at the mains these days. Ours certainly aren't.

Re: TVs and the internet

<s8gfhm$7rm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22835&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#22835

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 24 May 2021 16:08:35 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Mon, 24 May 2021 15:08 UTC

This was over an hour after switch on so it was not going to play, and its
not the first time either. Even the Alexa app said it was offline
unsurprisingly.

"Jeff Layman" <jmlayman@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> Never seen this on my Panasonic, which is 18 months old and about five
> metres from the router. Once it's turned on you have to give the TV enough
> time to run its software to connect to the router, or it won't find the
> connection. After that time it's fine. The TV has a fast start, with the
> picture and sound starting in about three seconds, but it takes another
> 10 - 15 seconds or so for the wifi link to be made to the router. This is
> using the remote to connect via the TV's apps; no voice control is
> involved.
>
> --
>
> Jeff
>
> On 24/05/2021 07:53, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
>> Every so often, my Samsung tv, last years model, fails to connect to the
>> router when its turned on. No amount of fiddling with settings fixes
>> this,
>> but its less than 2m from the router. The only way is to it off, pull out
>> the mains for about 30 seconds, then replace it and turn it on again.
>> Is this a common issue on TVs? You first notice it when you try to get
>> lady
>> A to operate, when it complains there ins no internet available of
>> course,
>> and hence no internet delivered content either. I could hard wire it I
>> guess, but due to the closeness it seems a little silly.
>> Brian

Re: TVs and the internet

<s8gfl0$9sk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22836&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#22836

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 24 May 2021 16:10:21 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Mon, 24 May 2021 15:10 UTC

Well maybe it is but I have some other devices at varying distances and they
seem to have no such issues including an Iphone and three Echo dots.

"Scott" <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Mon, 24 May 2021 07:53:06 +0100, "Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)"
> <briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>Every so often, my Samsung tv, last years model, fails to connect to the
>>router when its turned on. No amount of fiddling with settings fixes this,
>>but its less than 2m from the router. The only way is to it off, pull out
>>the mains for about 30 seconds, then replace it and turn it on again.
>> Is this a common issue on TVs? You first notice it when you try to get
>> lady
>>A to operate, when it complains there ins no internet available of course,
>>and hence no internet delivered content either. I could hard wire it I
>>guess, but due to the closeness it seems a little silly.
>
> Surely the closeness makes it much easier to hard wire. I always
> thought ethernet was preferred where possible.

Re: TVs and the internet

<s8gfpt$cqc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22837&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#22837

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 24 May 2021 16:12:58 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Mon, 24 May 2021 15:12 UTC

Yes I can hard wire it, but it still seems daft.
I will probably do that if the issue continues anyway.

"charles" <charles@candehope.me.uk> wrote in message
> In article <4snmagptvrqeihea6jghccfkr1e2jgft3k@4ax.com>, Scott
> <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
>> On Mon, 24 May 2021 07:53:06 +0100, "Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)"
>> <briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> >Every so often, my Samsung tv, last years model, fails to connect to the
>> > router when its turned on. No amount of fiddling with settings fixes
>> >this, but its less than 2m from the router. The only way is to it off,
>> >pull out the mains for about 30 seconds, then replace it and turn it on
>> >again. Is this a common issue on TVs? You first notice it when you try
>> >to get lady A to operate, when it complains there ins no internet
>> >available of course, and hence no internet delivered content either. I
>> >could hard wire it I guess, but due to the closeness it seems a little
>> >silly.
>
>> Surely the closeness makes it much easier to hard wire. I always thought
>> ethernet was preferred where possible.
>
> Not so easy when it's the other side of a fireplace - as it is here.
>
> --
> from KT24 in Surrey, England
> "I'd rather die of exhaustion than die of boredom" Thomas Carlyle

Re: TVs and the internet

<s8gfus$fpt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22838&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#22838

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 24 May 2021 16:15:37 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Mon, 24 May 2021 15:15 UTC

Don't get me started, they are absolute crap for anyone who likes to listen
around the short wave bands unless you just stick to the ham bands which
have notch filters, so they obviously know the mayhem they create.

"Tim+" <tim.downie@gmail.com> wrote in message
> charles <charles@candehope.me.uk> wrote:
>> In article <4snmagptvrqeihea6jghccfkr1e2jgft3k@4ax.com>, Scott
>> <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Surely the closeness makes it much easier to hard wire. I always
>>> thought
>>> ethernet was preferred where possible.
>>
>> Not so easy when it's the other side of a fireplace - as it is here.
>>

> I'm sure Brian could use one of those powerline adapters that he's so fond
> of. ;-)
>
> Tim
>
> --
> Please don't feed the trolls

Re: TVs and the internet

<2gboagp60ndaehld9olkqfdc87i7vl48ki@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22847&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#22847

From: davew...@yahoo.co.uk (Dave W)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 24 May 2021 23:52:56 +0100
 by: Dave W - Mon, 24 May 2021 22:52 UTC

>I thought it had more to do with picking a 'quiet' channel than an IP
>address. Mine defaults to one of (?)12 channels and it is possible to
>change this if it turns out that particular channel is congested. Also
>, you can play around with 2.4 MHz or 5MHz if one is causing problems.
+1
--
Dave W

Re: TVs and the internet

<kccpaglt6pbiq8g16t015mkq7ncfcp4p8g@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22849&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#22849

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 25 May 2021 09:14:48 +0100
 by: Scott - Tue, 25 May 2021 08:14 UTC

On Mon, 24 May 2021 16:12:58 +0100, "Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)"
<briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>Yes I can hard wire it, but it still seems daft.
> I will probably do that if the issue continues anyway.

Why is it daft to connect two sets of equipment with a piece of wire?
It could equally be observed that it is daft to use a radio
transmitter then a radio receiver to send a signal a distance of two
metres.

Re: TVs and the internet

<EfudnQGuCqKeUTH9nZ2dnUU78KWdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22852&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#22852

Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
From: max_dem...@bigfoot.com (Max Demian)
Date: Tue, 25 May 2021 11:05:53 +0100
 by: Max Demian - Tue, 25 May 2021 10:05 UTC

On 25/05/2021 09:14, Scott wrote:
> On Mon, 24 May 2021 16:12:58 +0100, "Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)"
> <briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Yes I can hard wire it, but it still seems daft.
>> I will probably do that if the issue continues anyway.
>
> Why is it daft to connect two sets of equipment with a piece of wire?
> It could equally be observed that it is daft to use a radio
> transmitter then a radio receiver to send a signal a distance of two
> metres.

Same with Bluetooth sound bars. Do modern TVs not have audio outputs?
(Probably true.)

--
Max Demian