According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless.

aus+uk / uk.railway / Re: Southampton station fire after scooter thrown on to rail tracks

SubjectAuthor
* Southampton station fire after scooter thrown on to rail tracksGraeme Wall
+* Southampton station fire after scooter thrown on to rail tracksAnna Noyd-Dryver
> [...]
  |  | `- Southampton station fire after scooter thrown on to rail tracksRoland Perry
  |  `- Southampton station fire after scooter thrown on to rail tracksRoland Perry
  `* Southampton station fire after scooter thrown on to rail tracksMuttley
   +* Southampton station fire after scooter thrown on to rail tracksMarland
   |`* Southampton station fire after scooter thrown on to rail tracksMuttley
   | `* Southampton station fire after scooter thrown on to rail tracksMarland
   |  `- Southampton station fire after scooter thrown on to rail tracksMuttley
   +* Southampton station fire after scooter thrown on to rail tracksAnna Noyd-Dryver
   |+* Southampton station fire after scooter thrown on to rail tracksCertes
   ||`- Southampton station fire after scooter thrown on to rail tracksAnna Noyd-Dryver
   |`- Southampton station fire after scooter thrown on to rail tracksMuttley
   `* Southampton station fire after scooter thrown on to rail tracksCharles Ellson
    `* Southampton station fire after scooter thrown on to rail tracksCertes
     `- Southampton station fire after scooter thrown on to rail tracksBob

Pages:123
Re: Southampton station fire after scooter thrown on to rail tracks

<svq62o$6ef$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24889&group=uk.railway#24889

From: ema...@domain.com (Bob)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: Southampton station fire after scooter thrown on to rail tracks
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2022 11:42:32 +0100
 by: Bob - Thu, 3 Mar 2022 10:42 UTC

On 2022-03-02 20:23:30 +0000, Certes said:

> On 02/03/2022 20:15, Charles Ellson wrote:
>> On Wed, 2 Mar 2022 09:20:19 -0000 (UTC), Muttley@dastardlyhq.com
>> wrote:

>>> This would have been a dead short from a metal scooter. Plus its probably not
>>> beyond the wit of man for the signalling and power supply to be integrated
>>> so it knows when there's a train there/not there and can trip accordingly.
>>>
>> How much current would a diesel locomotive draw?
>
> Roughly the same as a stopped or coasting EMU.

Coasting or stopped EMUs still have "hotel" loads (lighting, heating/aircon).

Robin

Re: Southampton station fire after scooter thrown on to rail tracks

<pLf*eaeIy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24905&group=uk.railway#24905

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: 03 Mar 2022 17:51:15 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Thu, 3 Mar 2022 17:51 UTC

Bob <email@domain.com> wrote:
> Taking an example, a 3x class 450 set, something not uncommon on the
> network, has an installed power of 6 MW, so at full load on 750 V DC
> will draw 8 kA. If a substation has to be able to allow, say, three
> such trains to be in section together (say, somewhere like London
> Bridge, or Clapham Junction), you have a situation where a *normal*
> demand might be 24 kA @ 750 V.

Which makes me wonder: what does the electrical distribution for somewhere
like Clapham Junction look like? Where there could be dozens of trains on
the move at the same time in a small area. At some point can you apply
diversity limits (not all trains will be accelerating together, so adding
another doesn't contribute very much - like domestic cookers are wired based
on 10A + 30% of the remaining load) or is there just a huge amount of
substation plant tucked away across south London?

Theo