Huh?

aus+uk / aus.cars / Re: Service con job...

SubjectAuthor
* Service con job...Grumpy Tech
+* Re: Service con job...Daryl
|`* Re: Service con job...Grumpy Tech
| +* Re: Service con job...Keithr0
| |`* Re: Service con job...Yosemite Sam
| | `* Re: Service con job...Keithr0
| |  `- Re: Service con job...Daryl
| +- Re: Service con job...Daryl
| `* Re: Service con job...Xeno
|  +* Re: Service con job...Yosemite Sam
|  |`- Re: Service con job...Xeno
|  `* Re: Service con job...Keithr0
|   `* Re: Service con job...Xeno
|    `* Re: Service con job...Keithr0
|     `- Re: Service con job...Xeno
+* Re: Service con job...Yosemite Sam
|`* Re: Service con job...Grumpy Tech
| +- Re: Service con job...Yosemite Sam
| +- Re: Service con job...Xeno
| +- Re: Service con job...Noddy
| `* Re: Service con job...Daryl
|  +* Re: Service con job...Yosemite Sam
|  |`* Re: Service con job...Xeno
|  | `* Re: Service con job...Yosemite Sam
|  |  +- Re: Service con job...Xeno
|  |  `- Re: Service con job...Clocky
|  `- Re: Service con job...Noddy
`* Re: Service con job...Trevor Wilson
 +* Re: Service con job...Daryl
 |+- Re: Service con job...Yosemite Sam
 |+* Re: Service con job...Trevor Wilson
 ||+* Re: Service con job...Daryl
 |||+* Re: Service con job...Yosemite Sam
 |||`* Re: Service con job...Trevor Wilson
 ||| `* Re: Service con job...Daryl
 |||  +* Re: Service con job...Yosemite Sam
 |||  |`- Re: Service con job...Xeno
 |||  +* Re: Service con job...Trevor Wilson
 |||  |+- Re: Service con job...Xeno
 |||  |`* Re: Service con job...Daryl
 |||  | +- Re: Service con job...Xeno
 |||  | `- Re: Service con job...Yosemite Sam
 |||  `- Re: Service con job...Xeno
 ||`* Re: Service con job...Noddy
 || +* Re: Service con job...Trevor Wilson
 || |+* Re: Service con job...Noddy
 || |`- Re: Service con job...Clocky
 || `- Re: Service con job...Xeno
 |`- Re: Service con job...Xeno
 +* Re: Service con job...Noddy
 |+* Re: Service con job...Trevor Wilson
 ||`* Re: Service con job...Noddy
 || `* Re: Service con job...Daryl
 ||  `* Re: Service con job...Noddy
 ||   `* Re: Service con job...Daryl
 ||    `* Re: Service con job...Noddy
 ||     +- Re: Service con job...Daryl
 ||     +- Re: Service con job...Xeno
 ||     `- Re: Service con job...alvey
 |`* Re: Service con job...Trevor Wilson
 | `* Re: Service con job...Noddy
 |  `* Re: Service con job...Daryl
 |   `- Re: Service con job...Noddy
 `- Re: Service con job...Clocky

Pages:123
Re: Service con job...

<khej5eF3jdfU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25310&group=aus.cars#25310

From: fel...@goaway.now (Yosemite Sam)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Subject: Re: Service con job...
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2023 13:46:54 +1000
 by: Yosemite Sam - Sat, 15 Jul 2023 03:46 UTC

Daryl wrote:
> On 15/7/2023 11:12 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:

>>> I'd be suspicious of that low price,
>>
>> **Why? I've been using the same mechanic for more than 20 years. He
>> has never steered me wrong. He does the service by the book, has the
>> car ready when he says so. He even takes me to the nearest railway
>> station and picks me up. The Subaru dealer lost my key thingy and
>> kept me waiting for more than an hour, while their incompetent
>> employees searched for it. FWIW: My key is encased in a nice, non
>> slip silicone rubber thing, which makes it easy to pick from all the
>> other, identical, Subaru keys.
>
> Do the maths, add the price of the oil, filter and one hours labor to
> do the job thoroughly, dealers labour rate is around $150 ph,
> independents less but still around $100, even if yours charges $80ph
> one hour plus parts cost more than $140, he can't be spending much
> time if he's only charging $140.00

he's not charging $140 you moron. as I said, re-read what Trevor wrote.
but I'll make it real simple for you.. Trevor never said what his
mechanic charges, only that he charges $140 less than Subaru do

--
https://tinyurl.com/Yosemite-Sam

FUCK PUTIN!!
https://imgur.com/gallery/v4u4c15

Re: Service con job...

<khel0qF3rbsU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25312&group=aus.cars#25312

From: tre...@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2023 14:18:35 +1000
 by: Trevor Wilson - Sat, 15 Jul 2023 04:18 UTC

On 15/07/2023 12:58 pm, Daryl wrote:
> On 15/7/2023 11:12 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:

>>> I'd be suspicious of that low price,
>>
>> **Why? I've been using the same mechanic for more than 20 years. He
>> has never steered me wrong. He does the service by the book, has the
>> car ready when he says so. He even takes me to the nearest railway
>> station and picks me up. The Subaru dealer lost my key thingy and kept
>> me waiting for more than an hour, while their incompetent employees
>> searched for it. FWIW: My key is encased in a nice, non slip silicone
>> rubber thing, which makes it easy to pick from all the other,
>> identical, Subaru keys.
>
> Do the maths, add the price of the oil, filter and one hours labor to do
> the job thoroughly, dealers labour rate is around $150 ph, independents
> less but still around $100, even if yours charges $80ph one hour plus
> parts cost more than $140, he can't be spending much time if he's only
> charging $140.00

**I never made such a claim. Read what I wrote.

> He may be pricing his servicing so low because if he doesn't he won't
> get any work because he will be under cut by the numerous shonky quick
> oil change places popping up, a young mechanic I know said that his boss
> shut down his workshop because of the many dodgy "mechanics" in his area
> that were doing work for less than his cost, they use the cheapest
> possible oils and filters and only do very basic oil changes instead of
> a proper service inspection, some are so shonky they don't even change
> the filter, they just wipe it clean so it looks new.
> I'm not saying your mechanic is doing a poor job but just beware of a
> price that seems to good to be true, at the other end of the scale are
> dealers that will charge you over $400 for the same job, a price
> somewhere in the middle is more like it.

**Again: Read what I wrote.

Re: Service con job...

<khelggF3s46U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25313&group=aus.cars#25313

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2023 14:26:56 +1000
 by: Daryl - Sat, 15 Jul 2023 04:26 UTC

On 15/7/2023 2:18 pm, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> On 15/07/2023 12:58 pm, Daryl wrote:

>>> **Why? I've been using the same mechanic for more than 20 years. He
>>> has never steered me wrong. He does the service by the book, has the
>>> car ready when he says so. He even takes me to the nearest railway
>>> station and picks me up. The Subaru dealer lost my key thingy and
>>> kept me waiting for more than an hour, while their incompetent
>>> employees searched for it. FWIW: My key is encased in a nice, non
>>> slip silicone rubber thing, which makes it easy to pick from all the
>>> other, identical, Subaru keys.
>>
>> Do the maths, add the price of the oil, filter and one hours labor to
>> do the job thoroughly, dealers labour rate is around $150 ph,
>> independents less but still around $100, even if yours charges $80ph
>> one hour plus parts cost more than $140, he can't be spending much
>> time if he's only charging $140.00
>
> **I never made such a claim. Read what I wrote.

"My regular mechanic performs a handbook service at around $140.00 less"
That is a direct quote from your post, what else could the above
possibly mean?

See above, read it yourself, you wrote it and I quote you again:
"My regular mechanic performs a handbook service at around $140.00 less."

--
Daryl

Re: Service con job...

<u8t7h0$adse$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25314&group=aus.cars#25314

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2023 14:32:28 +1000
 by: Noddy - Sat, 15 Jul 2023 04:32 UTC

On 15/07/2023 5:32 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> On 14/07/2023 4:12 pm, Grumpy Tech wrote:

>> Battery terminals have corrosion on them after the service and no sign
>> of any lubricant on those. What am I paying them for....
>
> **First question: Why on Earth would you have your car serviced by a
> dealer?

Because there are certain aspect of dealerships servicing that can't be
provided by independents.

Most cars these days need periodic updates. Whether they be as a bug fix
for some ECU problem, a silent recall, or just a general improvement for
the way their systems operate. Like mobile phone operating systems, car
manufacturers are continually updating their "software" as well as
applying patches to their firmware, and this is something that they and
only they can do in the vast majority of cases.

They also offer incentives. Many dealerships offer "free" subscription
service updates as part of the service "package". For example if you
have an inbuilt satnav they'll give you a map update along with a 12
months continuance of a live traffic management function, and a 12
month's subscription to a roadside assistance program. Some, like
Mitsubishi for example, will double your new car standard 5 year
warranty to 10 years if you have the car serviced by a Mitsubishi dealer.

None of these things are free, of course, and you pay for them as part
of the service. But if you have your car serviced by an independent but
decide to buy a map update every year and organise your own annual
roadside assistance package you'll find that you're not saving any money
at all, and are still missing out on the dealer provided software &
firmware updates.

> I had my Subie's first service at the dealer. It was the last service I
> would allow them to do on the car. My regular mechanic performs a
> handbook service at around $140.00 less. My wiper blades are coming up
> for 6 years old and they are in perfect nick. I reckon you are being
> taken for a ride.

Maybe, but if I was looking to buy a used Levorg and looked at yours I'd
give it a miss based on it's service history and a lack of any
manufacturer updates ever having been applied.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: Service con job...

<u8t7os$adse$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25315&group=aus.cars#25315

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2023 14:36:43 +1000
 by: Noddy - Sat, 15 Jul 2023 04:36 UTC

On 15/07/2023 11:12 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> On 15/07/2023 9:20 am, Daryl wrote:

> **My mechanic does OK. He owns his factory unit, which has 5 hoists. He
> drives a second hand Lexus 4WD, because, in his words: "It's the same
> car as the Landcruiser, but with a bit more bling and it was 20 Grand
> cheaper than the Toyota." His wife has a CX3 and his weekend car is a
> '67 Mustang. I've seen everything in his workshop, from an S-Class, '57
> Corvette, GT40 replica + Cobra replica to a first generation, completely
> unmolested WRX.
>
> I trust him completely.
>
> FWIW: MY local Subaru dealer (where I didn't buy my car) has a terrible
> rep for damaging cars that are left for service. So much so, that when I
> delivered my car for it's recall a few months back, I took more than 20
> photos of the car, just in case. I needn't have bothered. When I
> arrived, the reception guy took another dozen pics of my car. We got to
> talking (WRX owner to Levorg owner) and he took special attention (I
> think), by ensuring my car was parked well away from any others, after
> the service.
>
> I will still use my mechanic. He is exceptional.

If I remember correctly you have mentioned some comments around here in
the past that you claimed came directly from your mechanic which gave
question to their ability. I can't remember what they were now, but they
certainly raised some eyebrows.

At the end of the day if you're happy with the guy then that's all that
matters, but whether he was fucking you over or not is something that
you would have absolutely no idea about.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: Service con job...

<khenf4F477jU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25318&group=aus.cars#25318

From: fel...@goaway.now (Yosemite Sam)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2023 15:00:19 +1000
 by: Yosemite Sam - Sat, 15 Jul 2023 05:00 UTC

OMG!

--
https://tinyurl.com/Yosemite-Sam

FUCK PUTIN!!
https://imgur.com/gallery/v4u4c15

Re: Service con job...

<khenf8F4789U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25319&group=aus.cars#25319

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2023 15:00:24 +1000
 by: Xeno - Sat, 15 Jul 2023 05:00 UTC

On 14/7/2023 7:24 pm, Grumpy Tech wrote:
> On 14/07/2023 6:20 pm, Daryl wrote:
>> On 14/7/2023 4:12 pm, Grumpy Tech wrote:
>>> Had the Outback serviced yesterday and get a call to say that my
>>> wiper blades are streaking.
>>>
>>> In January the same thing had happened and I declined having them
>>> replaced as they were still okay as far as I was concerned.
>>>
>>> Drove to Victoria in late March through a fair bit of rain some of
>>> which was torrential. By the time I got down there the wipers were
>>> starting to grab so I went the the local Subaru dealer and paid the
>>> extortion to have them replaced. It was raining a fair bit so it made
>>> sense to get it done.
>>
>> How much did they charge you for wiper blades?
>
> $72.30 for front and rear fitted.
>

>>> Cue the call yesterday and I said to the service advisor that they
>>> replaced in April, I have the receipt, if they are faulty now replace
>>> them under warranty as they should last longer than 3 months...
>>>
>>> Get there to pick up the car to be advised that they decided to
>>> "lubricate" the blades and I should see how they go....
>>>
>>> Battery terminals have corrosion on them after the service and no
>>> sign of any lubricant on those. What am I paying them for....
>>
>> LOL, good question.
>>

> I can't wait for their customer satisfaction survey this time. My
> response may trigger their censors!!
>
> I'm looking at getting some Holts PEP Corrosion Preventative and putting
> on them. Just looked at Autobarn it's $12.99 or you can get it from ebay
> for $45!!

Is that stuff still around? Back when I used it in the late 60s it was
just known as Korode Kure, a black greasy substance.

Anyway, the best procedure for dealing with battery corrosion buildup is
to first rinse off loose acid buildup with hot water. Then mix up a
paste of baking soda and water. Brush the paste around the terminal and
let it sit for a while. The mixture will neutralise the remaining acid
and the terminals can again be rinsed off with hot water. Then you can
apply the Korode Kure. These days I use white lithium grease. Some
people use vaseline but it is caustic to plastic. A film of white
lithium grease won't melt or freeze in harsh environments and becomes a
barrier for protection against corrosion. I always have baking soda and
a can of white lithium grease on hand for other purposes so there is no
specific cost applicable to battery terminal cleaning and protection.

If your battery terminals are corroding, you may have a problem.
Corrosion buildup around a terminal is caused by the battery venting
hydrogen gas from the electrolyte which then reacts to the air around
the battery. Battery gassing will eventually deplete the electrolyte in
the battery and, since most batteries are now non-serviceable
(maintenance free), the battery will prematurely fail. The cause of
gassing is typically overcharging or operation in an overheated
environment. Overcharging will, by itself, lead to battery overheating
and gassing and may even buckle plates. Have you ever had the charge
rate checked out? In Queensland you will be operating vehicles in a hot
environment and the battery in the CX5 is under the bonnet. It would get
really hot under there, especially when you've just pulled up after a
long run and heat soak sets in.
In the past you could adjust the voltage regulator to give the required
voltage output. This provision began to disappear when I was doing my
apprenticeship and, these days, charging is controlled by the computer.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: Service con job...

<khennlF477jU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25321&group=aus.cars#25321

From: fel...@goaway.now (Yosemite Sam)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2023 15:04:53 +1000
 by: Yosemite Sam - Sat, 15 Jul 2023 05:04 UTC

Xeno wrote:
> On 14/7/2023 7:24 pm, Grumpy Tech wrote:

>>> How much did they charge you for wiper blades?
>>
>> $72.30 for front and rear fitted.

>>> LOL, good question.
>>>

>> I can't wait for their customer satisfaction survey this time. My
>> response may trigger their censors!!
>>
>> I'm looking at getting some Holts PEP Corrosion Preventative and
>> putting on them. Just looked at Autobarn it's $12.99 or you can get
>> it from ebay for $45!!
>
> Is that stuff still around? Back when I used it in the late 60s it was
> just known as Korode Kure, a black greasy substance.
>
> Anyway, the best procedure for dealing with battery corrosion buildup
> is to first rinse off loose acid buildup with hot water. Then mix up a
> paste of baking soda and water. Brush the paste around the terminal
> and let it sit for a while. The mixture will neutralise the remaining
> acid and the terminals can again be rinsed off with hot water. Then
> you can apply the Korode Kure. These days I use white lithium grease.
> Some people use vaseline but it is caustic to plastic. A film of white
> lithium grease won't melt or freeze in harsh environments and becomes
> a barrier for protection against corrosion. I always have baking soda
> and a can of white lithium grease on hand for other purposes so there
> is no specific cost applicable to battery terminal cleaning and
> protection.
>
> If your battery terminals are corroding, you may have a problem.
> Corrosion buildup around a terminal is caused by the battery venting
> hydrogen gas from the electrolyte which then reacts to the air around
> the battery. Battery gassing will eventually deplete the electrolyte
> in the battery and, since most batteries are now non-serviceable
> (maintenance free), the battery will prematurely fail. The cause of
> gassing is typically overcharging or operation in an overheated
> environment. Overcharging will, by itself, lead to battery overheating
> and gassing and may even buckle plates. Have you ever had the charge
> rate checked out? In Queensland you will be operating vehicles in a
> hot environment and the battery in the CX5 is under the bonnet. It
> would get really hot under there, especially when you've just pulled
> up after a long run and heat soak sets in.
> In the past you could adjust the voltage regulator to give the
> required voltage output. This provision began to disappear when I was
> doing my apprenticeship and, these days, charging is controlled by the
> computer.

can't say I've ever had terminal corrosion on any of my cars

--
https://tinyurl.com/Yosemite-Sam

FUCK PUTIN!!
https://imgur.com/gallery/v4u4c15

Re: Service con job...

<khenp2F3rbsU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25322&group=aus.cars#25322

From: tre...@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2023 15:05:38 +1000
 by: Trevor Wilson - Sat, 15 Jul 2023 05:05 UTC

On 15/07/2023 2:36 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 15/07/2023 11:12 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
>> On 15/07/2023 9:20 am, Daryl wrote:
>
>> **My mechanic does OK. He owns his factory unit, which has 5 hoists.
>> He drives a second hand Lexus 4WD, because, in his words: "It's the
>> same car as the Landcruiser, but with a bit more bling and it was 20
>> Grand cheaper than the Toyota." His wife has a CX3 and his weekend car
>> is a '67 Mustang. I've seen everything in his workshop, from an
>> S-Class, '57 Corvette, GT40 replica + Cobra replica to a first
>> generation, completely unmolested WRX.
>>
>> I trust him completely.
>>
>> FWIW: MY local Subaru dealer (where I didn't buy my car) has a
>> terrible rep for damaging cars that are left for service. So much so,
>> that when I delivered my car for it's recall a few months back, I took
>> more than 20 photos of the car, just in case. I needn't have bothered.
>> When I arrived, the reception guy took another dozen pics of my car.
>> We got to talking (WRX owner to Levorg owner) and he took special
>> attention (I think), by ensuring my car was parked well away from any
>> others, after the service.
>>
>> I will still use my mechanic. He is exceptional.
>
> If I remember correctly you have mentioned some comments around here in
> the past that you claimed came directly from your mechanic which gave
> question to their ability. I can't remember what they were now, but they
> certainly raised some eyebrows.

**Nope. You're dreaming. He is an exceptional mechanic, with very loyal
customers and a very good reputation:

https://www.autoguru.com.au/s/premier-car-repairs

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=premier+car+repairs&bshm=lbse/1

Check the reviews. It is highly unlikely he has managed to fake them
all. Besides which, I've used plenty of mechanics of the years. I reckon
I know how to spot a good one. Chris is a VERY good mechanic. And, FWIW,
his father is a retired mechanic, who pops in to help when things get
busy.

> At the end of the day if you're happy with the guy then that's all that
> matters, but whether he was fucking you over or not is something that
> you would have absolutely no idea about.

**I am confident in my ability to spot a bad mechanic. I've used a few
in the past. They usually fuck up at some time. In more than 20 years
Chris has never put a foot wrong with any of my cars. Not once. A
remarkable achievement. Even more remarkable, when I needed to have the
computers reset, he did the job for free. Only took him 15 minutes, but
he did use a $12,000.00 OBD-II device to accomplish the job. He could
have easily have charged me and I would have been happy to pay, since my
local Subaru dealer quoted me $150.00 and 2 hours to do the job. Chris
did it for free, while I waited.

Re: Service con job...

<kheoe4F3rbsU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25323&group=aus.cars#25323

From: tre...@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2023 15:16:52 +1000
 by: Trevor Wilson - Sat, 15 Jul 2023 05:16 UTC

On 15/07/2023 2:26 pm, Daryl wrote:
> On 15/7/2023 2:18 pm, Trevor Wilson wrote:

>>> Do the maths, add the price of the oil, filter and one hours labor to
>>> do the job thoroughly, dealers labour rate is around $150 ph,
>>> independents less but still around $100, even if yours charges $80ph
>>> one hour plus parts cost more than $140, he can't be spending much
>>> time if he's only charging $140.00
>>
>> **I never made such a claim. Read what I wrote.
>
> "My regular mechanic performs a handbook service at around $140.00 less"
> That is a direct quote from your post, what else could the above
> possibly mean?

**And, when placed in context, it is obvious to anyone that my regular
mechanic performs a handbook service for $140.00 less than the dealer
service. Read the context.

>>> He may be pricing his servicing so low because if he doesn't he won't
>>> get any work because he will be under cut by the numerous shonky
>>> quick oil change places popping up, a young mechanic I know said that
>>> his boss shut down his workshop because of the many dodgy "mechanics"
>>> in his area that were doing work for less than his cost, they use the
>>> cheapest possible oils and filters and only do very basic oil changes
>>> instead of a proper service inspection, some are so shonky they don't
>>> even change the filter, they just wipe it clean so it looks new.
>>> I'm not saying your mechanic is doing a poor job but just beware of a
>>> price that seems to good to be true, at the other end of the scale
>>> are dealers that will charge you over $400 for the same job, a price
>>> somewhere in the middle is more like it.
>>
>> **Again: Read what I wrote.
>>

> See above, read it yourself, you wrote it and I quote you again:
> "My regular mechanic performs a handbook service at around $140.00 less."

**And, when placed in context, it is obvious to anyone that my regular
mechanic performs a handbook service for $140.00 less than the dealer
service. Read the context.

Re: Service con job...

<khepliF3rbsU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25328&group=aus.cars#25328

From: tre...@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2023 15:37:54 +1000
 by: Trevor Wilson - Sat, 15 Jul 2023 05:37 UTC

On 15/07/2023 2:32 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 15/07/2023 5:32 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
>> On 14/07/2023 4:12 pm, Grumpy Tech wrote:
>
>>> Battery terminals have corrosion on them after the service and no
>>> sign of any lubricant on those. What am I paying them for....
>>
>> **First question: Why on Earth would you have your car serviced by a
>> dealer?
>
> Because there are certain aspect of dealerships servicing that can't be
> provided by independents.
>
> Most cars these days need periodic updates. Whether they be as a bug fix
> for some ECU problem, a silent recall, or just a general improvement for
> the way their systems operate. Like mobile phone operating systems, car
> manufacturers are continually updating their "software" as well as
> applying patches to their firmware, and this is something that they and
> only they can do in the vast majority of cases.
>
> They also offer incentives. Many dealerships offer "free" subscription
> service updates as part of the service "package". For example if you
> have an inbuilt satnav they'll give you a map update along with a 12
> months continuance of a live traffic management function, and a 12
> month's subscription to a roadside assistance program. Some, like
> Mitsubishi for example, will double your new car standard 5 year
> warranty to 10 years if you have the car serviced by a Mitsubishi dealer.
>
> None of these things are free, of course, and you pay for them as part
> of the service. But if you have your car serviced by an independent but
> decide to buy a map update every year and organise your own annual
> roadside assistance package you'll find that you're not saving any money
> at all, and are still missing out on the dealer provided software &
> firmware updates.
>
>> I had my Subie's first service at the dealer. It was the last service
>> I would allow them to do on the car. My regular mechanic performs a
>> handbook service at around $140.00 less. My wiper blades are coming up
>> for 6 years old and they are in perfect nick. I reckon you are being
>> taken for a ride.
>
> Maybe, but if I was looking to buy a used Levorg and looked at yours I'd
> give it a miss based on it's service history and a lack of any
> manufacturer updates ever having been applied.

**When I spoke to the dealer about updates to my Levorg, the only matter
they could update were the maps. And, despite being within warranty,
they wanted to charge me $350.00 for that service. Fuck that. I'll use
my 'phone. I did go to the dealer for a recall though.

Re: Service con job...

<khepsnF4789U7@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25329&group=aus.cars#25329

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2023 15:41:43 +1000
 by: Xeno - Sat, 15 Jul 2023 05:41 UTC

On 15/7/2023 1:46 pm, Yosemite Sam wrote:
> Daryl wrote:

>>> **Why? I've been using the same mechanic for more than 20 years. He
>>> has never steered me wrong. He does the service by the book, has the
>>> car ready when he says so. He even takes me to the nearest railway
>>> station and picks me up. The Subaru dealer lost my key thingy and
>>> kept me waiting for more than an hour, while their incompetent
>>> employees searched for it. FWIW: My key is encased in a nice, non
>>> slip silicone rubber thing, which makes it easy to pick from all the
>>> other, identical, Subaru keys.
>>
>> Do the maths, add the price of the oil, filter and one hours labor to
>> do the job thoroughly, dealers labour rate is around $150 ph,
>> independents less but still around $100, even if yours charges $80ph
>> one hour plus parts cost more than $140, he can't be spending much
>> time if he's only charging $140.00
>
> he's not charging $140 you moron. as I said, re-read what Trevor wrote.
> but I'll make it real simple for you.. Trevor never said what his
> mechanic charges, only that he charges $140 less than Subaru do

The FLCJC, as a group, seem to lack reading comprehension skills.

>> He may be pricing his servicing so low because if he doesn't he won't
>> get any work because he will be under cut by the numerous shonky quick
>> oil change places popping up, a young mechanic I know said that his
>> boss shut down his workshop because of the many dodgy "mechanics" in
>> his area that were doing work for less than his cost, they use the
>> cheapest possible oils and filters and only do very basic oil changes
>> instead of a proper service inspection, some are so shonky they don't
>> even change the filter, they just wipe it clean so it looks new.
>> I'm not saying your mechanic is doing a poor job but just beware of a
>> price that seems to good to be true, at the other end of the scale are
>> dealers that will charge you over $400 for the same job, a price
>> somewhere in the middle is more like it.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: Service con job...

<kheq4qF4789U8@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25330&group=aus.cars#25330

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2023 15:46:02 +1000
 by: Xeno - Sat, 15 Jul 2023 05:46 UTC

On 15/7/2023 2:26 pm, Daryl wrote:
> On 15/7/2023 2:18 pm, Trevor Wilson wrote:

>>> Do the maths, add the price of the oil, filter and one hours labor to
>>> do the job thoroughly, dealers labour rate is around $150 ph,
>>> independents less but still around $100, even if yours charges $80ph
>>> one hour plus parts cost more than $140, he can't be spending much
>>> time if he's only charging $140.00
>>
>> **I never made such a claim. Read what I wrote.
>
> "My regular mechanic performs a handbook service at around $140.00 less"
> That is a direct quote from your post, what else could the above
> possibly mean?
>>
>>> He may be pricing his servicing so low because if he doesn't he won't
>>> get any work because he will be under cut by the numerous shonky
>>> quick oil change places popping up, a young mechanic I know said that
>>> his boss shut down his workshop because of the many dodgy "mechanics"
>>> in his area that were doing work for less than his cost, they use the
>>> cheapest possible oils and filters and only do very basic oil changes
>>> instead of a proper service inspection, some are so shonky they don't
>>> even change the filter, they just wipe it clean so it looks new.
>>> I'm not saying your mechanic is doing a poor job but just beware of a
>>> price that seems to good to be true, at the other end of the scale
>>> are dealers that will charge you over $400 for the same job, a price
>>> somewhere in the middle is more like it.
>>
>> **Again: Read what I wrote.
>>

> See above, read it yourself, you wrote it and I quote you again:
> "My regular mechanic performs a handbook service at around $140.00 less."

$140 less than the *standard handbook service price*. That does not mean
the service cost $140, just than it was $140 *less than* what the dealer
would charge for the same service. For instance, a $500 dealer book
service would only cost $360 at his regular mechanic.

You are incredibly obtuse!

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: Service con job...

<kheqfiF4789U9@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25331&group=aus.cars#25331

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2023 15:51:46 +1000
 by: Xeno - Sat, 15 Jul 2023 05:51 UTC

On 15/7/2023 2:36 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 15/07/2023 11:12 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
>> On 15/07/2023 9:20 am, Daryl wrote:
>
>> **My mechanic does OK. He owns his factory unit, which has 5 hoists.
>> He drives a second hand Lexus 4WD, because, in his words: "It's the
>> same car as the Landcruiser, but with a bit more bling and it was 20
>> Grand cheaper than the Toyota." His wife has a CX3 and his weekend car
>> is a '67 Mustang. I've seen everything in his workshop, from an
>> S-Class, '57 Corvette, GT40 replica + Cobra replica to a first
>> generation, completely unmolested WRX.
>>
>> I trust him completely.
>>
>> FWIW: MY local Subaru dealer (where I didn't buy my car) has a
>> terrible rep for damaging cars that are left for service. So much so,
>> that when I delivered my car for it's recall a few months back, I took
>> more than 20 photos of the car, just in case. I needn't have bothered.
>> When I arrived, the reception guy took another dozen pics of my car.
>> We got to talking (WRX owner to Levorg owner) and he took special
>> attention (I think), by ensuring my car was parked well away from any
>> others, after the service.
>>
>> I will still use my mechanic. He is exceptional.
>
> If I remember correctly you have mentioned some comments around here in
> the past that you claimed came directly from your mechanic which gave
> question to their ability. I can't remember what they were now, but they
> certainly raised some eyebrows.
>
> At the end of the day if you're happy with the guy then that's all that
> matters, but whether he was fucking you over or not is something that
> you would have absolutely no idea about.

As long as *you* aren't doing the servicing Darren because you are an
unqualified hack.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: Service con job...

<kheqhqF4789U10@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25332&group=aus.cars#25332

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2023 15:52:58 +1000
 by: Xeno - Sat, 15 Jul 2023 05:52 UTC

On 15/7/2023 3:00 pm, Yosemite Sam wrote:
> Daryl wrote:

>>> **I never made such a claim. Read what I wrote.
>>
>> "My regular mechanic performs a handbook service at around $140.00 less"
>> That is a direct quote from your post, what else could the above
>> possibly mean?

>>> **Again: Read what I wrote.
>>>

>> See above, read it yourself, you wrote it and I quote you again:
>> "My regular mechanic performs a handbook service at around $140.00 less."
>>

> OMG!

Ain't it sad?

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: Service con job...

<kheqm7F4789U11@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25333&group=aus.cars#25333

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2023 15:55:19 +1000
 by: Xeno - Sat, 15 Jul 2023 05:55 UTC

On 15/7/2023 3:04 pm, Yosemite Sam wrote:
> Xeno wrote:

>>> $72.30 for front and rear fitted.

>>> I can't wait for their customer satisfaction survey this time. My
>>> response may trigger their censors!!
>>>
>>> I'm looking at getting some Holts PEP Corrosion Preventative and
>>> putting on them. Just looked at Autobarn it's $12.99 or you can get
>>> it from ebay for $45!!
>>
>> Is that stuff still around? Back when I used it in the late 60s it was
>> just known as Korode Kure, a black greasy substance.
>>
>> Anyway, the best procedure for dealing with battery corrosion buildup
>> is to first rinse off loose acid buildup with hot water. Then mix up a
>> paste of baking soda and water. Brush the paste around the terminal
>> and let it sit for a while. The mixture will neutralise the remaining
>> acid and the terminals can again be rinsed off with hot water. Then
>> you can apply the Korode Kure. These days I use white lithium grease.
>> Some people use vaseline but it is caustic to plastic. A film of white
>> lithium grease won't melt or freeze in harsh environments and becomes
>> a barrier for protection against corrosion. I always have baking soda
>> and a can of white lithium grease on hand for other purposes so there
>> is no specific cost applicable to battery terminal cleaning and
>> protection.
>>
>> If your battery terminals are corroding, you may have a problem.
>> Corrosion buildup around a terminal is caused by the battery venting
>> hydrogen gas from the electrolyte which then reacts to the air around
>> the battery. Battery gassing will eventually deplete the electrolyte
>> in the battery and, since most batteries are now non-serviceable
>> (maintenance free), the battery will prematurely fail. The cause of
>> gassing is typically overcharging or operation in an overheated
>> environment. Overcharging will, by itself, lead to battery overheating
>> and gassing and may even buckle plates. Have you ever had the charge
>> rate checked out? In Queensland you will be operating vehicles in a
>> hot environment and the battery in the CX5 is under the bonnet. It
>> would get really hot under there, especially when you've just pulled
>> up after a long run and heat soak sets in.
>> In the past you could adjust the voltage regulator to give the
>> required voltage output. This provision began to disappear when I was
>> doing my apprenticeship and, these days, charging is controlled by the
>> computer.
>>

> can't say I've ever had terminal corrosion on any of my cars

Same. If the alternator isn't overcharging and the ambient environment
isn't overly hot, no hassles.
--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: Service con job...

<kheqosF4789U12@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25334&group=aus.cars#25334

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2023 15:56:44 +1000
 by: Xeno - Sat, 15 Jul 2023 05:56 UTC

On 15/7/2023 3:16 pm, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> On 15/07/2023 2:26 pm, Daryl wrote:

>>> **I never made such a claim. Read what I wrote.
>>
>> "My regular mechanic performs a handbook service at around $140.00 less"
>> That is a direct quote from your post, what else could the above
>> possibly mean?
>
> **And, when placed in context, it is obvious to anyone that my regular
> mechanic performs a handbook service for $140.00 less than the dealer
> service. Read the context.

You're asking way too much of them. They are dim bulbs!

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: Service con job...

<u8tcji$apuo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25335&group=aus.cars#25335

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2023 15:59:10 +1000
 by: Noddy - Sat, 15 Jul 2023 05:59 UTC

On 15/07/2023 3:05 pm, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> On 15/07/2023 2:36 pm, Noddy wrote:

>>> I will still use my mechanic. He is exceptional.
>>
>> If I remember correctly you have mentioned some comments around here
>> in the past that you claimed came directly from your mechanic which
>> gave question to their ability. I can't remember what they were now,
>> but they certainly raised some eyebrows.
>
> **Nope. You're dreaming.

Yeah, I don't think so. As I said, I can't recall what the specific
comments were, but there was more than one occasion where you quoted
advice from your mechanic which was ridiculous. Whether you quoted him
verbatim or whether you fucked it up in the translation I can't tell
you. But what you claimed here was complete rubbish, and it wasn't just
me who thought so :)

> He is an exceptional mechanic, with very loyal
> customers and a very good reputation:
>
> https://www.autoguru.com.au/s/premier-car-repairs
>
> https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=premier+car+repairs&bshm=lbse/1
>
> Check the reviews. It is highly unlikely he has managed to fake them
> all.

And I made no suggestion that he did. What I said was that if he was
fucking you over you wouldn't be able to tell.

> Besides which, I've used plenty of mechanics of the years. I reckon
> I know how to spot a good one. Chris is a VERY good mechanic. And, FWIW,
> his father is a retired mechanic, who pops in to help when things get busy.

That's nice. Irrelevant to anything in particular, but nice just the same :)

>> At the end of the day if you're happy with the guy then that's all
>> that matters, but whether he was fucking you over or not is something
>> that you would have absolutely no idea about.
>
> **I am confident in my ability to spot a bad mechanic.

I'm sure you are. But based on the comments that you've made in here in
the past I'm *equally* confident that your appraisal of your own ability
is massively over estimated.

> I've used a few in the past. They usually fuck up at some time. In more than 20 years
> Chris has never put a foot wrong with any of my cars. Not once. A
> remarkable achievement.

For fuck's sake Trev. He's a mechanic. Not a fighter pilot. There is
nothing "remarkable" about doing a job you're supposed to be a
specialist at.

> Even more remarkable, when I needed to have the
> computers reset, he did the job for free. Only took him 15 minutes, but
> he did use a $12,000.00 OBD-II device to accomplish the job. He could
> have easily have charged me and I would have been happy to pay, since my
> local Subaru dealer quoted me $150.00 and 2 hours to do the job. Chris
> did it for free, while I waited.

Once again, I would question your ability in telling a good mechanic
from a bad one. Not that I'm casting any aspersions over your mechanic.
I don't know the guy, have never met him or ever seen any of his work in
order to be able to hold an informed opinion about his ability one way
or the other. But the stuff you've mentioned here in this post alone is
normal "run of the mill" routine stuff that happens in workshops around
the country every single day, and if you genuinely think it's
"remarkable" then I'm quite convinced that you couldn't tell horse shit
from coconut muesli when it came to picking a good mechanic from a bad one.

As I said, if you're happy with him then that's all that matters.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: Service con job...

<khes6aF4789U13@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25337&group=aus.cars#25337

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2023 16:20:58 +1000
 by: Xeno - Sat, 15 Jul 2023 06:20 UTC

On 15/7/2023 3:59 pm, Noddy wrote:

>>> If I remember correctly you have mentioned some comments around here
>>> in the past that you claimed came directly from your mechanic which
>>> gave question to their ability. I can't remember what they were now,
>>> but they certainly raised some eyebrows.
>>
>> **Nope. You're dreaming.
>
> Yeah, I don't think so. As I said, I can't recall what the specific
> comments were, but there was more than one occasion where you quoted
> advice from your mechanic which was ridiculous. Whether you quoted him
> verbatim or whether you fucked it up in the translation I can't tell
> you. But what you claimed here was complete rubbish, and it wasn't just
> me who thought so :)
>
>  > He is an exceptional mechanic, with very loyal
>> customers and a very good reputation:
>>
>> https://www.autoguru.com.au/s/premier-car-repairs
>>
>> https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=premier+car+repairs&bshm=lbse/1
>>
>> Check the reviews. It is highly unlikely he has managed to fake them all.
>
> And I made no suggestion that he did. What I said was that if he was
> fucking you over you wouldn't be able to tell.
>
>  > Besides which, I've used plenty of mechanics of the years. I reckon
>> I know how to spot a good one. Chris is a VERY good mechanic. And,
>> FWIW, his father is a retired mechanic, who pops in to help when
>> things get busy.
>
> That's nice. Irrelevant to anything in particular, but nice just the
> same :)

Hey Darren, since they are in NSW, Trev's mechanic and his mechanic's
father are *qualified mechanics* and puts them *leagues ahead* of you!
You didn't even *qualify* to sign on to an apprenticeship, any
apprenticeship, ever.

>>> At the end of the day if you're happy with the guy then that's all
>>> that matters, but whether he was fucking you over or not is something
>>> that you would have absolutely no idea about.
>>
>> **I am confident in my ability to spot a bad mechanic.
>
> I'm sure you are. But based on the comments that you've made in here in
> the past I'm *equally* confident that your appraisal of your own ability
> is massively over estimated.
>
>> I've used a few in the past. They usually fuck up at some time. In
>> more than 20 years Chris has never put a foot wrong with any of my
>> cars. Not once. A remarkable achievement.
>
> For fuck's sake Trev. He's a mechanic. Not a fighter pilot. There is
> nothing "remarkable" about doing a job you're supposed to be a
> specialist at.

Except when, like you, lies are told about *qualifications*. You, as a
shonk mechanic, wouldn't get a look in to the trade in NSW - or WA. That
can only be a good thing.

>  > Even more remarkable, when I needed to have the
>> computers reset, he did the job for free. Only took him 15 minutes,
>> but he did use a $12,000.00 OBD-II device to accomplish the job. He
>> could have easily have charged me and I would have been happy to pay,
>> since my local Subaru dealer quoted me $150.00 and 2 hours to do the
>> job. Chris did it for free, while I waited.
>
> Once again, I would question your ability in telling a good mechanic
> from a bad one. Not that I'm casting any aspersions over your mechanic.
> I don't know the guy, have never met him or ever seen any of his work in
> order to be able to hold an informed opinion about his ability one way
> or the other. But the stuff you've mentioned here in this post alone is
> normal "run of the mill" routine stuff that happens in workshops around
> the country every single day, and if you genuinely think it's
> "remarkable" then I'm quite convinced that you couldn't tell horse shit
> from coconut muesli when it came to picking a good mechanic from a bad one.
>
> As I said, if you're happy with him then that's all that matters.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: Service con job...

<khesolF3rbsU6@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25338&group=aus.cars#25338

From: tre...@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2023 16:30:46 +1000
 by: Trevor Wilson - Sat, 15 Jul 2023 06:30 UTC

On 15/07/2023 3:59 pm, Noddy wrote:

>>> If I remember correctly you have mentioned some comments around here
>>> in the past that you claimed came directly from your mechanic which
>>> gave question to their ability. I can't remember what they were now,
>>> but they certainly raised some eyebrows.
>>
>> **Nope. You're dreaming.
>
> Yeah, I don't think so. As I said, I can't recall what the specific
> comments were, but there was more than one occasion where you quoted
> advice from your mechanic which was ridiculous. Whether you quoted him
> verbatim or whether you fucked it up in the translation I can't tell
> you. But what you claimed here was complete rubbish, and it wasn't just
> me who thought so :)

**Well, until you cite those words you claim, I will ignore what you are
saying.

>  > He is an exceptional mechanic, with very loyal
>> customers and a very good reputation:
>>
>> https://www.autoguru.com.au/s/premier-car-repairs
>>
>> https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=premier+car+repairs&bshm=lbse/1
>>
>> Check the reviews. It is highly unlikely he has managed to fake them all.
>
> And I made no suggestion that he did. What I said was that if he was
> fucking you over you wouldn't be able to tell.

**After one or two services, maybe. After 20+ years of regular servicing
and repair of my cars, not a snowball's chance in Hell.

>  > Besides which, I've used plenty of mechanics of the years. I reckon
>> I know how to spot a good one. Chris is a VERY good mechanic. And,
>> FWIW, his father is a retired mechanic, who pops in to help when
>> things get busy.
>
> That's nice. Irrelevant to anything in particular, but nice just the
> same :)

**Sure is. His dad is, apparently, brilliant with those older cars. Not
that Chris is any slouch though.

>>> At the end of the day if you're happy with the guy then that's all
>>> that matters, but whether he was fucking you over or not is something
>>> that you would have absolutely no idea about.
>>
>> **I am confident in my ability to spot a bad mechanic.
>
> I'm sure you are. But based on the comments that you've made in here in
> the past I'm *equally* confident that your appraisal of your own ability
> is massively over estimated.

**Huh?

>> I've used a few in the past. They usually fuck up at some time. In
>> more than 20 years Chris has never put a foot wrong with any of my
>> cars. Not once. A remarkable achievement.
>
> For fuck's sake Trev. He's a mechanic. Not a fighter pilot. There is
> nothing "remarkable" about doing a job you're supposed to be a
> specialist at.

**People fuck up. Most people fuck up some of the time. Chris has never
managed to fuck up a repair or service to one of my cars. Not once. That
is a pretty damned good record.

>  > Even more remarkable, when I needed to have the
>> computers reset, he did the job for free. Only took him 15 minutes,
>> but he did use a $12,000.00 OBD-II device to accomplish the job. He
>> could have easily have charged me and I would have been happy to pay,
>> since my local Subaru dealer quoted me $150.00 and 2 hours to do the
>> job. Chris did it for free, while I waited.
>
> Once again, I would question your ability in telling a good mechanic
> from a bad one. Not that I'm casting any aspersions over your mechanic.
> I don't know the guy, have never met him or ever seen any of his work in
> order to be able to hold an informed opinion about his ability one way
> or the other. But the stuff you've mentioned here in this post alone is
> normal "run of the mill" routine stuff that happens in workshops around
> the country every single day, and if you genuinely think it's
> "remarkable" then I'm quite convinced that you couldn't tell horse shit
> from coconut muesli when it came to picking a good mechanic from a bad one.
>
> As I said, if you're happy with him then that's all that matters.

**Uh-huh.

Re: Service con job...

<khet1sF3rbsU7@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25339&group=aus.cars#25339

From: tre...@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2023 16:35:40 +1000
 by: Trevor Wilson - Sat, 15 Jul 2023 06:35 UTC

On 15/07/2023 2:32 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 15/07/2023 5:32 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
>> On 14/07/2023 4:12 pm, Grumpy Tech wrote:
>
>>> Battery terminals have corrosion on them after the service and no
>>> sign of any lubricant on those. What am I paying them for....
>>
>> **First question: Why on Earth would you have your car serviced by a
>> dealer?
>
> Because there are certain aspect of dealerships servicing that can't be
> provided by independents.
>
> Most cars these days need periodic updates. Whether they be as a bug fix
> for some ECU problem, a silent recall, or just a general improvement for
> the way their systems operate. Like mobile phone operating systems, car
> manufacturers are continually updating their "software" as well as
> applying patches to their firmware, and this is something that they and
> only they can do in the vast majority of cases.
>
> They also offer incentives. Many dealerships offer "free" subscription
> service updates as part of the service "package". For example if you
> have an inbuilt satnav they'll give you a map update along with a 12
> months continuance of a live traffic management function, and a 12
> month's subscription to a roadside assistance program. Some, like
> Mitsubishi for example, will double your new car standard 5 year
> warranty to 10 years if you have the car serviced by a Mitsubishi dealer.
>
> None of these things are free, of course, and you pay for them as part
> of the service. But if you have your car serviced by an independent but
> decide to buy a map update every year and organise your own annual
> roadside assistance package you'll find that you're not saving any money
> at all, and are still missing out on the dealer provided software &
> firmware updates.
>
>> I had my Subie's first service at the dealer. It was the last service
>> I would allow them to do on the car. My regular mechanic performs a
>> handbook service at around $140.00 less. My wiper blades are coming up
>> for 6 years old and they are in perfect nick. I reckon you are being
>> taken for a ride.
>
> Maybe, but if I was looking to buy a used Levorg and looked at yours I'd
> give it a miss based on it's service history and a lack of any
> manufacturer updates ever having been applied.

**I should mention this: When I purchased the Levorg, I resolved to have
the first and last service performed by the dealer. The first, so I
could judge how they performed and the costs. The last, so I could
request any and all updates to the electronics. As it happened, the
first service was a cluster-fuck by the dealer. I was completely
unimpressed by their performance, price and attitude. The dealer shut
down, before the end of my warranty period and I asked the local dealer
about electronics updates. They explained that the only updates were to
the maps and the cost was several hundred Dollars. Fuck that.

Re: Service con job...

<khetqsF557qU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25340&group=aus.cars#25340

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2023 16:49:00 +1000
 by: Daryl - Sat, 15 Jul 2023 06:49 UTC

On 15/7/2023 3:16 pm, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> On 15/07/2023 2:26 pm, Daryl wrote:

>>> **I never made such a claim. Read what I wrote.
>>
>> "My regular mechanic performs a handbook service at around $140.00 less"
>> That is a direct quote from your post, what else could the above
>> possibly mean?
>
> **And, when placed in context, it is obvious to anyone that my regular
> mechanic performs a handbook service for $140.00 less than the dealer
> service. Read the context.

That makes sense now but your post was rather vague:-)

--
Daryl

Re: Service con job...

<kheuu9F4789U15@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25343&group=aus.cars#25343

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2023 17:07:52 +1000
 by: Xeno - Sat, 15 Jul 2023 07:07 UTC

On 15/7/2023 4:49 pm, Daryl wrote:
> On 15/7/2023 3:16 pm, Trevor Wilson wrote:

>>> "My regular mechanic performs a handbook service at around $140.00 less"
>>> That is a direct quote from your post, what else could the above
>>> possibly mean?
>>
>> **And, when placed in context, it is obvious to anyone that my regular
>> mechanic performs a handbook service for $140.00 less than the dealer
>> service. Read the context.
>
> That makes sense now but your post was rather vague:-)

His post was clear, it was your brain that was vague.

Dementia setting in?

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: Service con job...

<u8thh4$b5kg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25345&group=aus.cars#25345

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2023 17:23:16 +1000
 by: Noddy - Sat, 15 Jul 2023 07:23 UTC

On 15/07/2023 4:30 pm, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> On 15/07/2023 3:59 pm, Noddy wrote:

>> Yeah, I don't think so. As I said, I can't recall what the specific
>> comments were, but there was more than one occasion where you quoted
>> advice from your mechanic which was ridiculous. Whether you quoted him
>> verbatim or whether you fucked it up in the translation I can't tell
>> you. But what you claimed here was complete rubbish, and it wasn't
>> just me who thought so :)
>
> **Well, until you cite those words you claim, I will ignore what you are
> saying.

Of course you will. You always do :)

>> And I made no suggestion that he did. What I said was that if he was
>> fucking you over you wouldn't be able to tell.
>
> **After one or two services, maybe. After 20+ years of regular servicing
> and repair of my cars, not a snowball's chance in Hell.

As long as you believe that to be the case, then that's all that matters.

>>> **I am confident in my ability to spot a bad mechanic.
>>
>> I'm sure you are. But based on the comments that you've made in here
>> in the past I'm *equally* confident that your appraisal of your own
>> ability is massively over estimated.
>
> **Huh?

Confused? I thought what I said was clear enough, but apparently not.
Let me try another approach. I don't believe you know anywhere near
enough about the subject matter to tell a good mechanic from a bad one.
You might be able to tell a nice guy to treats his customers well from
someone who doesn't, and I don't doubt that for a second. But that's a
whole different argument :)

>> For fuck's sake Trev. He's a mechanic. Not a fighter pilot. There is
>> nothing "remarkable" about doing a job you're supposed to be a
>> specialist at.
>
> **People fuck up. Most people fuck up some of the time.

No they don't :) *Some* people might, and others don't. It's not an
unusual occurrence for people to do a job for a long time and not make a
mess of it.

> Chris has never managed to fuck up a repair or service to one of my
cars. Not once. That
> is a pretty damned good record.

You need to get out more, as your experience seems to be *extremely*
limited.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: Service con job...

<u8thkd$b5kg$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25346&group=aus.cars#25346

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2023 17:25:01 +1000
 by: Noddy - Sat, 15 Jul 2023 07:25 UTC

On 15/07/2023 3:37 pm, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> On 15/07/2023 2:32 pm, Noddy wrote:

>>> I had my Subie's first service at the dealer. It was the last service
>>> I would allow them to do on the car. My regular mechanic performs a
>>> handbook service at around $140.00 less. My wiper blades are coming
>>> up for 6 years old and they are in perfect nick. I reckon you are
>>> being taken for a ride.
>>
>> Maybe, but if I was looking to buy a used Levorg and looked at yours
>> I'd give it a miss based on it's service history and a lack of any
>> manufacturer updates ever having been applied.
>
> **When I spoke to the dealer about updates to my Levorg, the only matter
> they could update were the maps. And, despite being within warranty,
> they wanted to charge me $350.00 for that service. Fuck that. I'll use
> my 'phone. I did go to the dealer for a recall though.

That's Subaru for you, and to be honest they have one of the most
cuntiest reputations in the car servicing business. Others are very
different.

Regards,
Noddy.

aus+uk / aus.cars / Re: Service con job...