Laugh and the world thinks you're an idiot.

aus+uk / uk.rec.sheds / Re: Alcoholism

SubjectAuthor
* AlcoholismTone
+* AlcoholismTease'n'Seize
|`* AlcoholismPeter
| `- AlcoholismRustyHinge
+* AlcoholismRustyHinge
|`* AlcoholismAhem A Rivet's Shot
| +- AlcoholismTone
| `* AlcoholismNicholas D. Richards
|  +* AlcoholismRustyHinge
|  |+* AlcoholismSam Plusnet
|  ||`- AlcoholismRustyHinge
|  |`* AlcoholismNicholas D. Richards
|  | `- AlcoholismRustyHinge
|  `* AlcoholismAhem A Rivet's Shot
|   `* AlcoholismMike Spencer
|    +- Alcoholismmaus
|    +* AlcoholismSn!pe
|    |`* AlcoholismNicholas D. Richards
|    | +- Alcoholismmaus
|    | `- AlcoholismNicholas D. Richards
|    `* AlcoholismAhem A Rivet's Shot
|     +- AlcoholismKerr-Mudd, John
|     `* AlcoholismRustyHinge
|      `* AlcoholismAhem A Rivet's Shot
|       `* AlcoholismRustyHinge
|        `* AlcoholismAhem A Rivet's Shot
|         +* AlcoholismRustyHinge
|         |`* AlcoholismAhem A Rivet's Shot
|         | +- AlcoholismNicholas D. Richards
|         | `- AlcoholismNicholas D. Richards
|         `- AlcoholismRustyHinge
+* AlcoholismBrian Gaff
|+- Alcoholismhubops
|`* AlcoholismAhem A Rivet's Shot
| `- AlcoholismBrian Gaff
`- AlcoholismBrian

Pages:12
Alcoholism

<ugkm4a$2hqdd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26268&group=uk.rec.sheds#26268

From: ton...@email.com (Tone)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Alcoholism
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 01:56:41 +0100
 by: Tone - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 00:56 UTC

Define it.

Years ago I was told, if it affects the rest of your family and
dependents you are an alcoholic.

Well, in my case it never has, especially not now. But I was brought up
in t'Royal Navy, Fleet Air Arm, that gave me a rum ration at 11am every
day, and we would then spend our lunch times boozing before going to
work on jet aircraft in the afternoon. All that was normal. back then.

Then, later, 1970s, as a heavy haulage driver, (heavy, wide, high) with
police escort, we would all pile into a country pub around midday and
sink a few pints before proceeding further in the afternoon. This was
when the bigger police stations had their own bars.

Lets face it both World Wars were won on alcohol. Winnie set the
example. Even WW1 when they went over the top, they were given a jar of
SRD (Service Rum Diluted). I still have one of they.

Now I cazzun find an effective pain killer that duzzen leave me feeling
like a zombie all the next day, and a zombie I don't want to be. I
couldnay do me radio stuff in that state, to start with. It's about
quality of life innit?

I know I'm now drinking far more than is good for me, but it jbex. It
gets me to sleep at night (eventually). It gets me through the day. It
isn't a pain killer, but it helps bear it.

So I tend to tell the GPs, the district nurses, and the do gooders, that
I am managing quite well thanks in me own way. And besides, I don't want
to see Grant's go bust.

Bugger the rest of 'em.

Toe

Re: Alcoholism

<Lcqdncu3u_Kjq7P4nZ2dnZfqnPGdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26272&group=uk.rec.sheds#26272

Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 08:22:38 +0100
Subject: Re: Alcoholism
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: tease-an...@invalid (Tease'n'Seize)
 by: Tease'n'Se - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 07:22 UTC

Tone wrote:

> Years ago I was  told, if it affects the rest of your family and
> dependents you are an alcoholic.

Thankfully I'm not one, my brother is.

But I didn't like it when the govt of the day redefined what I consider
"a decent night out" to be "binge drinking". Mind you, decent nights
out are few and far between nowadays ...

Re: Alcoholism

<XnsB0A065A2596EEFactura3476@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26274&group=uk.rec.sheds#26274

From: mys...@prune.org.uk (Peter)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 08:59:27 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Peter - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 08:59 UTC

Tease'n'Seize <tease-and-seize@invalid> wrote in

> Tone wrote:
>
>> Years ago I was  told, if it affects the rest of your family and
>> dependents you are an alcoholic.
>
> Thankfully I'm not one, my brother is.
>
> But I didn't like it when the govt of the day redefined what I consider
> "a decent night out" to be "binge drinking". Mind you, decent nights
> out are few and far between nowadays ...

I drink very little these days. It's not so much that I've given it up, but
that alcohol has given me up. I just don't enjoy the sensation of being
under the influence any more. Also I've realised that I don't like who I
become after a drink or two. Still like the taste, thobut.

--
Peter
-----

Re: Alcoholism

<ugm9kq$31p4q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26282&group=uk.rec.sheds#26282

From: rusty.hi...@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 16:35:53 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 15:35 UTC

On 17/10/2023 01:56, Tone wrote:
> Define it.
>
> Years ago I was  told, if it affects the rest of your family and
> dependents you are an alcoholic.
>
> Well, in my case it never has, especially not now. But I was brought up
> in t'Royal Navy, Fleet Air Arm, that gave me a rum ration at 11am every
> day, and we would then spend our lunch times boozing before going to
> work on jet aircraft in the afternoon. All that was normal. back then.
>
> Then, later, 1970s, as a heavy haulage driver, (heavy, wide, high) with
> police escort, we would all pile into a country pub around midday and
> sink a few pints before proceeding further in the afternoon. This was
> when the bigger police stations had their own bars.
>
> Lets face it both World Wars were won on alcohol. Winnie set the
> example. Even WW1 when they went over the top, they were given a jar of
> SRD (Service Rum Diluted). I still have one of they.
>
> Now I cazzun find an effective pain killer that duzzen leave me feeling
> like a zombie all the next day, and a zombie I don't want to be. I
> couldnay do me radio stuff in that state, to start with. It's about
> quality of life innit?
>
> I know I'm now drinking far more than is good for me, but it jbex. It incohol for me
> gets me to sleep at night (eventually). It gets me through the day. It
> isn't a pain killer, but it helps bear it.
>
> So I tend to tell the GPs, the district nurses, and the do gooders, that
> I am managing quite well thanks in me own way. And besides, I don't want
> to see Grant's go bust.
>
> Bugger the rest of 'em.
>
> Toe

Quite, Toe.

Tell that to *my* carers, who are not allowed to ohl incohol for me. I
arrq a butler, footman, gofer innit.

Someone who knows the difference between white rum and white spirit...

At least, after this weaks' 'holiday' in a 'care home' (allegedly the
poshest one in Attleborouh) I can a) diginto my collection of bockles,
b) summon a nacciomplice, c) just look at it with something not quite,
but approaching satisfaction.

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Alcoholism

<ugm9ua$31ra8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26283&group=uk.rec.sheds#26283

From: rusty.hi...@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 16:40:54 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 15:40 UTC

On 17/10/2023 09:59, Peter wrote:
> Tease'n'Seize <tease-and-seize@invalid> wrote in
>
>> Tone wrote:
>>
>>> Years ago I was  told, if it affects the rest of your family and
>>> dependents you are an alcoholic.
>>
>> Thankfully I'm not one, my brother is.
>>
>> But I didn't like it when the govt of the day redefined what I consider
>> "a decent night out" to be "binge drinking". Mind you, decent nights
>> out are few and far between nowadays ...
>
> I drink very little these days. It's not so much that I've given it up, but
> that alcohol has given me up. I just don't enjoy the sensation of being
> under the influence any more. Also I've realised that I don't like who I
> become after a drink or two. Still like the taste, thobut.

T'other way round for me: there are too few incoholic drinks which I
like, due to long covid. Desn't affect me adversely, thobut. (AFAIK)

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Alcoholism

<20231017172631.2924106b806bd65db3e6f99c@eircom.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26287&group=uk.rec.sheds#26287

From: ste...@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 17:26:31 +0100
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 16:26 UTC

On Tue, 17 Oct 2023 16:35:53 +0100
RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:

> Someone who knows the difference between white rum and white spirit...

Drinking it jbexes just as well as the method to find out whether
the unmarked fuel can contains petroliol or diseasel.

Wait for a warm day, open the can and let it breath for a few
minutes. Then, using a lighted match for illumination, look inside the can.
If you survive it's diseasel.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Re: Alcoholism

<ugme5v$32pnj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26289&group=uk.rec.sheds#26289

From: ton...@email.com (Tone)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 17:53:18 +0100
 by: Tone - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 16:53 UTC

On 17/10/2023 17:26, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
> Wait for a warm day, open the can and let it breath for a few
> minutes. Then, using a lighted match for illumination, look inside the can.
> If you survive it's diseasel.

Any fuel knows that

Tone

Re: Alcoholism

<6DZxY6AuxrLlFARn@salmiron.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26290&group=uk.rec.sheds#26290

From: nicho...@salmiron.com (Nicholas D. Richards)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 17:55:10 +0100
 by: Nicholas D. Richards - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 16:55 UTC

In article <20231017172631.2924106b806bd65db3e6f99c@eircom.net>, Ahem A
Rivet's Shot <steveo@eircom.net> on Tue, 17 Oct 2023 at 17:26:31 awoke
Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
>On Tue, 17 Oct 2023 16:35:53 +0100
>RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Someone who knows the difference between white rum and white spirit...
>
> Drinking it jbexes just as well as the method to find out whether
>the unmarked fuel can contains petroliol or diseasel.
>
> Wait for a warm day, open the can and let it breath for a few
>minutes. Then, using a lighted match for illumination, look inside the can.
>If you survive it's diseasel.

Reminds me of a story from the 1970's, possibly an Urban Myff.

A guy who fancied himself a dab hand at DIY, had a leaking petrol tank.

He decided that he could repair it with a weld. So he emptied the tank
of its fuel and realized as any fuel noes that petrol fumes and welds do
not mix, safely. he heeded to get rid of the fumes. He dug out the
family cylinder vacuum cleaner, attached one end of the hose to the
cleaner and stuck the other end in the tank filler, switched on the
cleaner and ........

BANG
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Re: Alcoholism

<ugmh5d$33i64$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26291&group=uk.rec.sheds#26291

From: rusty.hi...@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 18:44:12 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 17:44 UTC

On 17/10/2023 17:55, Nicholas D. Richards wrote:
> In article <20231017172631.2924106b806bd65db3e6f99c@eircom.net>, Ahem A
> Rivet's Shot <steveo@eircom.net> on Tue, 17 Oct 2023 at 17:26:31 awoke
> Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
>> On Tue, 17 Oct 2023 16:35:53 +0100
>> RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> Someone who knows the difference between white rum and white spirit...
>>
>> Drinking it jbexes just as well as the method to find out whether
>> the unmarked fuel can contains petroliol or diseasel.
>>
>> Wait for a warm day, open the can and let it breath for a few
>> minutes. Then, using a lighted match for illumination, look inside the can.
>> If you survive it's diseasel.
>>
> Reminds me of a story from the 1970's, possibly an Urban Myff.
>
> A guy who fancied himself a dab hand at DIY, had a leaking petrol tank.
>
> He decided that he could repair it with a weld. So he emptied the tank
> of its fuel and realized as any fuel noes that petrol fumes and welds do
> not mix, safely. he heeded to get rid of the fumes. He dug out the
> family cylinder vacuum cleaner, attached one end of the hose to the
> cleaner and stuck the other end in the tank filler, switched on the
> cleaner and ........
>
> BANG

When I jbexrq in a botormike siop we used to fill the tank with sand and
then do the weld/braze/soldering.

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Alcoholism

<F8AXM.10380$_z39.9463@fx34.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26294&group=uk.rec.sheds#26294

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 19:12:53 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 18:12 UTC

On 17-Oct-23 18:44, RustyHinge wrote:
> On 17/10/2023 17:55, Nicholas D. Richards wrote:
>> In article <20231017172631.2924106b806bd65db3e6f99c@eircom.net>, Ahem A
>> Rivet's Shot <steveo@eircom.net>  on Tue, 17 Oct 2023 at 17:26:31 awoke
>> Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote

>>>        Drinking it jbexes just as well as the method to find out whether
>>> the unmarked fuel can contains petroliol or diseasel.
>>>
>>>        Wait for a warm day, open the can and let it breath for a few
>>> minutes. Then, using a lighted match for illumination, look inside
>>> the can.
>>> If you survive it's diseasel.
>>>
>> Reminds me of a story from the 1970's, possibly an Urban Myff.
>>
>> A guy who fancied himself a dab hand at DIY, had a leaking petrol tank.
>>
>> He decided that he could repair it with a weld. So he emptied the tank
>> of its fuel and realized as any fuel noes that petrol fumes and welds do
>> not mix, safely.  he heeded to get rid of the fumes.  He dug out the
>> family cylinder vacuum cleaner, attached one end of the hose to the
>> cleaner and stuck the other end in the tank filler, switched on the
>> cleaner and  ........
>>
>> BANG
>>
> When I jbexrq in a botormike siop we used to fill the tank with sand and
> then do the weld/braze/soldering.

?? How do you get _all_ of the sand out again?

If even a little bit is left behind, that would be a future problem.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Alcoholism

<20231017190216.23a89e271cddda34e0d70789@eircom.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26295&group=uk.rec.sheds#26295

From: ste...@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 19:02:16 +0100
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 18:02 UTC

On Tue, 17 Oct 2023 17:55:10 +0100
"Nicholas D. Richards" <nicholas@salmiron.com> wrote:

> Reminds me of a story from the 1970's, possibly an Urban Myff.

Maybe.

> A guy who fancied himself a dab hand at DIY, had a leaking petrol tank.
>
> He decided that he could repair it with a weld. So he emptied the tank
> of its fuel and realized as any fuel noes that petrol fumes and welds do
> not mix, safely. he heeded to get rid of the fumes. He dug out the

An old fiend of mine who did a lot of welding for bikers had a
standard approach to this - he used to fill the tank to the brim with
petrol and then weld it. He survived repairing a good many tanks. He told
me that the proper way to do it was to thoroughly wash the tank with
detergent and then fill it with water but his way was quicker. I'd have
gone with the slow way.

> family cylinder vacuum cleaner, attached one end of the hose to the
> cleaner and stuck the other end in the tank filler, switched on the
> cleaner and ........

Oh dear.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/
Host: Beautiful Theory meet Inconvenient Fact
Obit: Beautiful Theory died today of factual inconsistency

Re: Alcoholism

<ugmlnt$34ivr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26296&group=uk.rec.sheds#26296

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 20:02:19 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 19:02 UTC

Well, I unfortunately found out quite young that booze made me depressed,
while everyone else it seemed to remove inhibitions and sometimes made them
act stupidly or have what I think they used to call Dutch courage.
The question really is, why does it affect people differently?
The only snag to your regime is that if you are canned while driving its
going to be no more driving.
I wonder if some designer recreational drug would give the pain relief
without being detectable by the breathalyser or a drug wipe?

They are experimenting with compounds found in the hemp type plants at the
moment, and seem to be finding pain relieving ones that don't make you high.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Tone" <tone@email.com> wrote in message
> Define it.
>
> Years ago I was told, if it affects the rest of your family and
> dependents you are an alcoholic.
>
> Well, in my case it never has, especially not now. But I was brought up in
> t'Royal Navy, Fleet Air Arm, that gave me a rum ration at 11am every day,
> and we would then spend our lunch times boozing before going to work on
> jet aircraft in the afternoon. All that was normal. back then.
>
> Then, later, 1970s, as a heavy haulage driver, (heavy, wide, high) with
> police escort, we would all pile into a country pub around midday and sink
> a few pints before proceeding further in the afternoon. This was when the
> bigger police stations had their own bars.
>
> Lets face it both World Wars were won on alcohol. Winnie set the example.
> Even WW1 when they went over the top, they were given a jar of SRD
> (Service Rum Diluted). I still have one of they.
>
> Now I cazzun find an effective pain killer that duzzen leave me feeling
> like a zombie all the next day, and a zombie I don't want to be. I
> couldnay do me radio stuff in that state, to start with. It's about
> quality of life innit?
>
> I know I'm now drinking far more than is good for me, but it jbex. It gets
> me to sleep at night (eventually). It gets me through the day. It isn't a
> pain killer, but it helps bear it.
>
> So I tend to tell the GPs, the district nurses, and the do gooders, that I
> am managing quite well thanks in me own way. And besides, I don't want to
> see Grant's go bust.
>
> Bugger the rest of 'em.
>
> Toe

Re: Alcoholism

<48ntii9342g36acvg4dqduj96fd20pgp29@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26297&group=uk.rec.sheds#26297

From: hub...@ccanoemail.com
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 15:15:25 -0400
 by: hub...@ccanoemail.com - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 19:15 UTC

On Tue, 17 Oct 2023 20:02:19 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
<brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:

>Well, I unfortunately found out quite young that booze made me depressed,
>while everyone else it seemed to remove inhibitions and sometimes made them
>act stupidly or have what I think they used to call Dutch courage.
> The question really is, why does it affect people differently?
> The only snag to your regime is that if you are canned while driving its
>going to be no more driving.
> I wonder if some designer recreational drug would give the pain relief
>without being detectable by the breathalyser or a drug wipe?
>
> They are experimenting with compounds found in the hemp type plants at the
>moment, and seem to be finding pain relieving ones that don't make you high.
> Brian

CBD

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabidiol

I haven't tried it < yet >.
John T.

Re: Alcoholism

<20231017210143.767eb4e478878385292ed5cc@eircom.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26298&group=uk.rec.sheds#26298

From: ste...@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 21:01:43 +0100
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 20:01 UTC

On Tue, 17 Oct 2023 20:02:19 +0100
"Brian Gaff" <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:

> They are experimenting with compounds found in the hemp type plants at
> the moment, and seem to be finding pain relieving ones that don't make
> you high.

CBD has been known about for a long time.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/
Host: Beautiful Theory meet Inconvenient Fact
Obit: Beautiful Theory died today of factual inconsistency

Re: Alcoholism

<M3y8lQBBdvLlFAVt@salmiron.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26299&group=uk.rec.sheds#26299

From: nicho...@salmiron.com (Nicholas D. Richards)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 22:06:09 +0100
 by: Nicholas D. Richards - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 21:06 UTC

In article <ugmh5d$33i64$1@dont-email.me>, RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@fooba
r.girolle.co.uk> on Tue, 17 Oct 2023 at 18:44:12 awoke Nicholas from
his slumbers and wrote
>On 17/10/2023 17:55, Nicholas D. Richards wrote:
>> In article <20231017172631.2924106b806bd65db3e6f99c@eircom.net>, Ahem A
>> Rivet's Shot <steveo@eircom.net> on Tue, 17 Oct 2023 at 17:26:31 awoke
>> Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote

>>> Drinking it jbexes just as well as the method to find out whether
>>> the unmarked fuel can contains petroliol or diseasel.
>>>
>>> Wait for a warm day, open the can and let it breath for a few
>>> minutes. Then, using a lighted match for illumination, look inside the can.
>>> If you survive it's diseasel.
>>>
>> Reminds me of a story from the 1970's, possibly an Urban Myff.
>>
>> A guy who fancied himself a dab hand at DIY, had a leaking petrol tank.
>>
>> He decided that he could repair it with a weld. So he emptied the tank
>> of its fuel and realized as any fuel noes that petrol fumes and welds do
>> not mix, safely. he heeded to get rid of the fumes. He dug out the
>> family cylinder vacuum cleaner, attached one end of the hose to the
>> cleaner and stuck the other end in the tank filler, switched on the
>> cleaner and ........
>>
>> BANG
>>
>When I jbexrq in a botormike siop we used to fill the tank with sand and
>then do the weld/braze/soldering.

I knew that was how it should be done, but that was the story I
heard/read.

What I would like to know is how do you get ALL the sand out of the
tank, after the repair? Fine grit cannot do the filter and carb any
good.

I suppose it would not really be a problem as fuel is not taken from the
absolute lowest spot in the tank?
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Re: Alcoholism

<ugmud7$36c17$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26300&group=uk.rec.sheds#26300

From: rusty.hi...@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 22:30:15 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 21:30 UTC

On 17/10/2023 19:12, Sam Plusnet wrote:
> On 17-Oct-23 18:44, RustyHinge wrote:
>> On 17/10/2023 17:55, Nicholas D. Richards wrote:
>>> In article <20231017172631.2924106b806bd65db3e6f99c@eircom.net>, Ahem A
>>> Rivet's Shot <steveo@eircom.net>  on Tue, 17 Oct 2023 at 17:26:31 awoke
>>> Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote

>>> Reminds me of a story from the 1970's, possibly an Urban Myff.
>>>
>>> A guy who fancied himself a dab hand at DIY, had a leaking petrol tank.
>>>
>>> He decided that he could repair it with a weld. So he emptied the tank
>>> of its fuel and realized as any fuel noes that petrol fumes and welds do
>>> not mix, safely.  he heeded to get rid of the fumes.  He dug out the
>>> family cylinder vacuum cleaner, attached one end of the hose to the
>>> cleaner and stuck the other end in the tank filler, switched on the
>>> cleaner and  ........
>>>
>>> BANG
>>>
>> When I jbexrq in a botormike siop we used to fill the tank with sand
>> and then do the weld/braze/soldering.
>>
> ??  How do you get _all_ of the sand out again?
>
> If even a little bit is left behind, that would be a future problem.

With great difficuly and *lots* of compessed air, crossed fingers and/or
an inside-tank spray to re-line it anf ix any crap as part of the
structure..

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Alcoholism

<ugn2vf$37gna$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26301&group=uk.rec.sheds#26301

From: rusty.hi...@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 23:48:15 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 22:48 UTC

On 17/10/2023 22:06, Nicholas D. Richards wrote:
> In article <ugmh5d$33i64$1@dont-email.me>, RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@fooba
> r.girolle.co.uk> on Tue, 17 Oct 2023 at 18:44:12 awoke Nicholas from
> his slumbers and wrote
>> On 17/10/2023 17:55, Nicholas D. Richards wrote:
>>> In article <20231017172631.2924106b806bd65db3e6f99c@eircom.net>, Ahem A
>>> Rivet's Shot <steveo@eircom.net> on Tue, 17 Oct 2023 at 17:26:31 awoke
>>> Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote

>>> Reminds me of a story from the 1970's, possibly an Urban Myff.
>>>
>>> A guy who fancied himself a dab hand at DIY, had a leaking petrol tank.
>>>
>>> He decided that he could repair it with a weld. So he emptied the tank
>>> of its fuel and realized as any fuel noes that petrol fumes and welds do
>>> not mix, safely. he heeded to get rid of the fumes. He dug out the
>>> family cylinder vacuum cleaner, attached one end of the hose to the
>>> cleaner and stuck the other end in the tank filler, switched on the
>>> cleaner and ........
>>>
>>> BANG
>>>
>> When I jbexrq in a botormike siop we used to fill the tank with sand and
>> then do the weld/braze/soldering.
>>
> I knew that was how it should be done, but that was the story I
> heard/read.
>
> What I would like to know is how do you get ALL the sand out of the
> tank, after the repair? Fine grit cannot do the filter and carb any
> good.
>
> I suppose it would not really be a problem as fuel is not taken from the
> absolute lowest spot in the tank?

It was only done on really pricey tanks, the one I unforget was from a
crashed DBD BSA Gold Star (B34).

I didn't understand why it wasn't just scapped. But then it was only a
very short time from registration and I *guess* it was covered by inn
sewer ants and got at scrp value, BICBW.

Hub's spoke disc welded and re-drilled in at lest one place (can't
unforget the whole lot, 'twas in 1959/1960 after all (IIRC). Frame
straightened; forks straightened; arj chromed blatter like Triumph
thingy on tank; sandblast and respray of ironjbexf and tinstuff; but the
triumph of Bill Inglis's welding was the crankcase, one side of which
had the borked end of the conrod clout it.

Understandably, the injun stopped turning, back wheel stopped turning,
skidscraaaape/BNAG! Lots of sparks and petrol -instant bonfire.

The mishap mishappened because the owner did the usual Glod Star thing:
he over-revved it. Piston hit valve, valve-stem borked. Valve head
tinkled round and about inside the bore, denting the cylinder-head in a
mutlitude of places until the pissed-on hit the valve-head at 90° to
it's usual alignment approaching TDC.

Con-rod bent, borked, then gave-up the ghost and poked the crankcase
*hard* cracking it into three sections, radiating from the main bearing.

Willie (Bill Inglis) chamfered the edges of the cracks and carefully
putting the bits together and blocking them up on the bench, welded them
together.

When he had done that and the crankcas-half had cooled, you couldn't see
any trace of welding on the outside. (!) (except where oil in the pores
of the casting had burnt off - a shiny aluminiumiumium border to the now
invisible cracks.

He then centred the half crankcase in a 4-jawed chuck and turned-off the
line of weld on the inside. Mic'd-up, the bearing housing was still
within maker's tolerances. (!!!!!)

Head had a bit of sand-blasting and de-indenting of the inside surface,
first with a ball-peine hammer, then polished out, new valve-seats,
induction tract polished, arj valves, springs &c fitted, crankcase
wire-brushed outside and you wouldn't have known it wasn't an arj injun.

Bill (modestly) blamed luck. I have always considered it sheer genius
with a little luck stirred in.

Apparantly the job paid (but I can't see how), but then, an almost arj
DBD was worth a bomb

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Alcoholism

<87il748qgt.fsf@enoch.nodomain.nowhere>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26302&group=uk.rec.sheds#26302

From: mds...@bogus.nodomain.nowhere (Mike Spencer)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 18 Oct 2023 02:11:30 -0300
Sender: mds@enoch.nodomain.nowhere
 by: Mike Spencer - Wed, 18 Oct 2023 05:11 UTC

Ahem A Rivet's Shot <steveo@eircom.net> writes:

> An old fiend of mine who did a lot of welding for bikers had a
> standard approach to this - he used to fill the tank to the brim with
> petrol and then weld it. He survived repairing a good many tanks.

Luck of the insane.

> He told me that the proper way to do it was to thoroughly wash the
> tank with detergent and then fill it with water but his way was
> quicker. I'd have gone with the slow way.

Done that more than once. Hard to get it absolutely full but a very
small volume of air/petrol fumes will just make a little pop. To
remove the last of the water, rinse out with some acetone. Any
acetone/water mix remaining will mix with the petrol and will carry
the water through the engine harmlessly..

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada

Re: Alcoholism

<ugnv6t$3gmrq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26304&group=uk.rec.sheds#26304

From: noi...@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2023 06:50:05 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:YuhYJ0HB6HFPeES9Ca9Z4JLuBX0=
 by: Brian - Wed, 18 Oct 2023 06:50 UTC

Tone <tone@email.com> wrote:
> Define it.
>
> Years ago I was told, if it affects the rest of your family and
> dependents you are an alcoholic.
>
> Well, in my case it never has, especially not now. But I was brought up
> in t'Royal Navy, Fleet Air Arm, that gave me a rum ration at 11am every
> day, and we would then spend our lunch times boozing before going to
> work on jet aircraft in the afternoon. All that was normal. back then.
>
> Then, later, 1970s, as a heavy haulage driver, (heavy, wide, high) with
> police escort, we would all pile into a country pub around midday and
> sink a few pints before proceeding further in the afternoon. This was
> when the bigger police stations had their own bars.
>
> Lets face it both World Wars were won on alcohol. Winnie set the
> example. Even WW1 when they went over the top, they were given a jar of
> SRD (Service Rum Diluted). I still have one of they.
>
> Now I cazzun find an effective pain killer that duzzen leave me feeling
> like a zombie all the next day, and a zombie I don't want to be. I
> couldnay do me radio stuff in that state, to start with. It's about
> quality of life innit?

Have you been referred to a pain clinic?

I suffer from chronic pain ( 24/7/ 365). While the pain clinic wasn’t 100%
effective, they did eventually find a ‘mix’ of pills and potions which make
things more or less tolerable most of the time.

Re: Alcoholism

<ugo18p$3h4ld$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26305&group=uk.rec.sheds#26305

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2023 08:25:10 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Wed, 18 Oct 2023 07:25 UTC

I think there has been difficulty in getting permissions to trial it on
humans and getting funding. Its interesting to note that the brain already
has canabinoid receptors, and one has to wonder quite why we evolved them.
Brian

--

--:
"Ahem A Rivet's Shot" <steveo@eircom.net> wrote in message
> On Tue, 17 Oct 2023 20:02:19 +0100
> "Brian Gaff" <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> They are experimenting with compounds found in the hemp type plants at
>> the moment, and seem to be finding pain relieving ones that don't make
>> you high.
>
> CBD has been known about for a long time.
>
> --
> Steve O'Hara-Smith
> Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/
> Host: Beautiful Theory meet Inconvenient Fact
> Obit: Beautiful Theory died today of factual inconsistency

Re: Alcoholism

<slrnuivrbj.dee.maus@deb2.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26308&group=uk.rec.sheds#26308

From: mau...@deb2.org (maus)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 18 Oct 2023 14:36:36 GMT
 by: maus - Wed, 18 Oct 2023 14:36 UTC

On 2023-10-18, Mike Spencer <mds@bogus.nodomain.nowhere> wrote:

> Ahem A Rivet's Shot <steveo@eircom.net> writes:
>
>> An old fiend of mine who did a lot of welding for bikers had a
>> standard approach to this - he used to fill the tank to the brim with
>> petrol and then weld it. He survived repairing a good many tanks.
>
> Luck of the insane.
>
>> He told me that the proper way to do it was to thoroughly wash the
>> tank with detergent and then fill it with water but his way was
>> quicker. I'd have gone with the slow way.
>
> Done that more than once. Hard to get it absolutely full but a very
> small volume of air/petrol fumes will just make a little pop. To
> remove the last of the water, rinse out with some acetone. Any
> acetone/water mix remaining will mix with the petrol and will carry
> the water through the engine harmlessly..
>

>>> family cylinder vacuum cleaner, attached one end of the hose to the
>>> cleaner and stuck the other end in the tank filler, switched on the
>>> cleaner and ........
>>
>> Oh dear.

My opinion of fixing petrol tanks?. Chuck it and get a new one. Along
with amateurs fixing large tyres without a cage, too dangerous.

--
greymausg@mail.com
Death to the Influencers, hung, drawn and Quartered is more than they deserve.

Re: Alcoholism

<1qiszns.sbhktyv3x06rN%snipeco.2@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26309&group=uk.rec.sheds#26309

From: snipec...@gmail.com (Sn!pe)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2023 15:45:34 +0100
This article may be reproduced for the purposes of propagation and
personal use only, no commercial use without express permission.
 by: Sn!pe - Wed, 18 Oct 2023 14:45 UTC

Mike Spencer <mds@bogus.nodomain.nowhere> wrote:

> Ahem A Rivet's Shot <steveo@eircom.net> writes:
>
> > An old fiend of mine who did a lot of welding for bikers had a
> > standard approach to this - he used to fill the tank to the brim with
> > petrol and then weld it. He survived repairing a good many tanks.
>
> Luck of the insane.
>
> > He told me that the proper way to do it was to thoroughly wash the
> > tank with detergent and then fill it with water but his way was
> > quicker. I'd have gone with the slow way.
>
> Done that more than once. Hard to get it absolutely full but a very
> small volume of air/petrol fumes will just make a little pop. To
> remove the last of the water, rinse out with some acetone. Any
> acetone/water mix remaining will mix with the petrol and will carry
> the water through the engine harmlessly..

I read somewhere that a good way to purge the tank was with steam.

--
^Ï^. Sn!pe, PA, FIBS - Professional Crastinator.

My pet rock Gordon just said maybe.

Re: Alcoholism

<20231018164930.e731ff0814134812ca5baa1f@eircom.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26311&group=uk.rec.sheds#26311

From: ste...@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2023 16:49:30 +0100
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Wed, 18 Oct 2023 15:49 UTC

On 18 Oct 2023 02:11:30 -0300
Mike Spencer <mds@bogus.nodomain.nowhere> wrote:

> remove the last of the water, rinse out with some acetone. Any
> acetone/water mix remaining will mix with the petrol and will carry
> the water through the engine harmlessly..

I would have thought IPA would be a safer choice than acetone, less
likely to dissolve something.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/
Host: Beautiful Theory meet Inconvenient Fact
Obit: Beautiful Theory died today of factual inconsistency

Re: Alcoholism

<20231018194532.c1bfc5b6b471699f479e3377@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26312&group=uk.rec.sheds#26312

From: adm...@127.0.0.1 (Kerr-Mudd, John)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2023 19:45:32 +0100
 by: Kerr-Mudd, John - Wed, 18 Oct 2023 18:45 UTC

On Wed, 18 Oct 2023 16:49:30 +0100
Ahem A Rivet's Shot <steveo@eircom.net> wrote:

> On 18 Oct 2023 02:11:30 -0300
> Mike Spencer <mds@bogus.nodomain.nowhere> wrote:

> > remove the last of the water, rinse out with some acetone. Any
> > acetone/water mix remaining will mix with the petrol and will carry
> > the water through the engine harmlessly..
>
> I would have thought IPA would be a safer choice than acetone, less
> likely to dissolve something.

Waste a good IPA?

Well if you must; I'll have the Porter.

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Re: Alcoholism

<ugpa6v$3qahv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26313&group=uk.rec.sheds#26313

From: rusty.hi...@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2023 20:03:59 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Wed, 18 Oct 2023 19:03 UTC

On 18/10/2023 16:49, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
> On 18 Oct 2023 02:11:30 -0300
> Mike Spencer <mds@bogus.nodomain.nowhere> wrote:

>> remove the last of the water, rinse out with some acetone. Any
>> acetone/water mix remaining will mix with the petrol and will carry
>> the water through the engine harmlessly..
>
> I would have thought IPA would be a safer choice than acetone, less
> likely to dissolve something.

Yes indeed, but after *you*'ve processed the IPA, the result might not
be too sanitary.

Giss a pint!

--
Rusty Hinge