From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Bleugh
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 09:55:25 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Wed, 20 Dec 2023 09:55 UTC

Seems either my feed or the posts have stopped again two days ago.

I don't post through Google but do have a google email. I know that several
servers have been filtering google posts as spam recently.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Re: Bleugh

<kug2uoFpbsoU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27998&group=uk.rec.sheds#27998

From: johnwill...@btinternet.com (John Williamson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Re: Bleugh
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 11:53:59 +0000
 by: John Williamson - Wed, 20 Dec 2023 11:53 UTC

On 20/12/2023 09:55, Brian Gaff wrote:
> Seems either my feed or the posts have stopped again two days ago.
>
> I don't post through Google but do have a google email. I know that several
> servers have been filtering google posts as spam recently.
> Brian

All news servers are suffering from a torrent of spam posts via Google
Groups, apparently originating in Thailand.

News.Individual.Net has been up and down like a yo-yo for a while now.
Sometimes logging off and back on clears the delay, sometimes
un-subscribing and re-subscribing works, sometimes using an alternative
port does the job.

The guy that runs Eternal September has mentioned the problems he has
been having keeping the site up and running on the website.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Re: Bleugh

<1qm1qrj.n5v4wcq09ko8N%snipeco.2@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28003&group=uk.rec.sheds#28003

From: snipec...@gmail.com (Sn!pe)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 16:59:28 +0000
 by: Sn!pe - Wed, 20 Dec 2023 16:59 UTC

John Williamson <johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> wrote:

> On 20/12/2023 09:55, Brian Gaff wrote:
> > Seems either my feed or the posts have stopped again two days ago.
> >
> > I don't post through Google but do have a google email. I know that several
> > servers have been filtering google posts as spam recently.
> > Brian
> >
> All news servers are suffering from a torrent of spam posts via Google
> Groups, apparently originating in Thailand.
>
> News.Individual.Net has been up and down like a yo-yo for a while now.
> Sometimes logging off and back on clears the delay, sometimes
> un-subscribing and re-subscribing works, sometimes using an alternative
> port does the job.
>
> The guy that runs Eternal September has mentioned the problems he has
> been having keeping the site up and running on the website.

IMO Eternal-September has been remarkably resilient during the current
Googlespam flood attack. E-S admin Ray Banana has been instrumental
in coordinating NoCeM filter lists for the Newsserver community. It's a
huge game of Whack-A-Mole. Roll on February when Google closes its
Web2News gateway and the buk of the problem goes away.

If any Google Groupers want to stay on Usenet they'll have to get
themselves real Newsservers and real Newsreaders. Apply here for
free advice on free services and free 'readers. News wants to be free.

--
^Ï^. Sn!pe, PA, FIBS - Professional Crastinator

Google to close Usenet gateway; my pet rock Gordon just smiled.

Re: Bleugh

<2135414070.724791838.437662.timdownieuk-yahoo.co.youkay@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28008&group=uk.rec.sheds#28008

From: timdowni...@yahoo.co.youkay (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 20 Dec 2023 19:25:58 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Wed, 20 Dec 2023 19:25 UTC

John Williamson <johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> wrote:
> On 20/12/2023 09:55, Brian Gaff wrote:
>> Seems either my feed or the posts have stopped again two days ago.
>>
>> I don't post through Google but do have a google email. I know that several
>> servers have been filtering google posts as spam recently.
>> Brian
>>
> All news servers are suffering from a torrent of spam posts via Google
> Groups, apparently originating in Thailand.
>
> News.Individual.Net has been up and down like a yo-yo for a while now.

Really? Not noticed that.

I use NIN all the time.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: Bleugh

<YUJgN.79408$xHn7.29625@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28013&group=uk.rec.sheds#28013

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 22:29:12 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Wed, 20 Dec 2023 22:29 UTC

On 20-Dec-23 16:59, Sn!pe wrote:
> John Williamson <johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> wrote:
>
>> On 20/12/2023 09:55, Brian Gaff wrote:
>>> Seems either my feed or the posts have stopped again two days ago.
>>>
>>> I don't post through Google but do have a google email. I know that several
>>> servers have been filtering google posts as spam recently.
>>> Brian
>>>
>> All news servers are suffering from a torrent of spam posts via Google
>> Groups, apparently originating in Thailand.
>>
>> News.Individual.Net has been up and down like a yo-yo for a while now.
>> Sometimes logging off and back on clears the delay, sometimes
>> un-subscribing and re-subscribing works, sometimes using an alternative
>> port does the job.
>>
>> The guy that runs Eternal September has mentioned the problems he has
>> been having keeping the site up and running on the website.
>>

> IMO Eternal-September has been remarkably resilient during the current
> Googlespam flood attack. E-S admin Ray Banana has been instrumental
> in coordinating NoCeM filter lists for the Newsserver community. It's a
> huge game of Whack-A-Mole. Roll on February when Google closes its
> Web2News gateway and the buk of the problem goes away.

Is it too cynical to notice the following:

1. Allofasudden, a massive wave of spam via Google.

Followed a month or so later by:

2. The announcement of Google's closure of that gateway.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Bleugh

<1qm26wt.5lij8a1v88n9rN%snipeco.2@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28016&group=uk.rec.sheds#28016

From: snipec...@gmail.com (Sn!pe)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 22:53:36 +0000
This article may be reproduced for the purposes of propagation and
personal use only, no commercial use without express permission.
 by: Sn!pe - Wed, 20 Dec 2023 22:53 UTC

Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:

> On 20-Dec-23 16:59, Sn!pe wrote:
> > John Williamson <johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> wrote:

> >> All news servers are suffering from a torrent of spam posts via Google
> >> Groups, apparently originating in Thailand.
> >>
> >> News.Individual.Net has been up and down like a yo-yo for a while now.
> >> Sometimes logging off and back on clears the delay, sometimes
> >> un-subscribing and re-subscribing works, sometimes using an alternative
> >> port does the job.
> >>
> >> The guy that runs Eternal September has mentioned the problems he has
> >> been having keeping the site up and running on the website.
> >>

> > IMO Eternal-September has been remarkably resilient during the current
> > Googlespam flood attack. E-S admin Ray Banana has been instrumental
> > in coordinating NoCeM filter lists for the Newsserver community. It's a
> > huge game of Whack-A-Mole. Roll on February when Google closes its
> > Web2News gateway and the buk of the problem goes away.
> >

> Is it too cynical to notice the following:
>
> 1. Allofasudden, a massive wave of spam via Google.
>
> Followed a month or so later by:
>
> 2. The announcement of Google's closure of that gateway.

I have seen a (possibly cynical) remark that Google may have been
letting the spamflood through as an excuse to close the Web2News
gateway.

IMO Google "Don't be evil" don't care about what happens outside of
their own ersatz Google Groups. However, their users presumably will
have seen the user outcry against the current googlespam tsunami, so
that would be to Google's detriment among their own users. It may even
be that Google have taken note of the outcry from independent Usenet
admins, although I suspect that Google are a bit tin-eared for that.

I think the coming divorce of Google Groups from Usenet is the best
thing to happen to Usenet in a very long time. Do I like Google? Alas,
no, I do not. Will there be inconvenience? Perhaps; shit happens.

Long live Usenet, News wants to be free.

--
^Ï^. Sn!pe, PA, FIBS - Professional Crastinator

My pet rock Gordon likes the closure of Google's Web2News gateway.

Re: Bleugh

<LrqdnWudfetLYh74nZ2dnZfqn_GdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28024&group=uk.rec.sheds#28024

Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 09:05:26 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: tease-an...@invalid (Tease'n'Seize)
 by: Tease'n'Se - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 09:05 UTC

Tim+ wrote:

> John Williamson wrote:
>
>> News.Individual.Net has been up and down like a yo-yo for a while now.
>
> Really? Not noticed that.
> I use NIN all the time.

ditto

Re: Bleugh

<um0vj8$110fs$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28027&group=uk.rec.sheds#28027

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 09:13:09 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 09:13 UTC

Ah, I'll have to have a look. I'd have thought that since Usenet is now such
a small niche place on user numbers, most spammers had given up spamming to
them. Most of the ones I have seen tend to be those trying to sell dodgy
credit card details or drugs. I'd imagine collars would be felt pretty fast
if they had web sites taking orders.
Brian

--

--:
"John Williamson" <johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> On 20/12/2023 09:55, Brian Gaff wrote:
>> Seems either my feed or the posts have stopped again two days ago.
>>
>> I don't post through Google but do have a google email. I know that
>> several
>> servers have been filtering google posts as spam recently.
>> Brian
>>
> All news servers are suffering from a torrent of spam posts via Google
> Groups, apparently originating in Thailand.
>
> News.Individual.Net has been up and down like a yo-yo for a while now.
> Sometimes logging off and back on clears the delay, sometimes
> un-subscribing and re-subscribing works, sometimes using an alternative
> port does the job.
>
> The guy that runs Eternal September has mentioned the problems he has been
> having keeping the site up and running on the website.
>
> --
> Tciao for Now!
>
> John.

Re: Bleugh

<um104s$1133v$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28028&group=uk.rec.sheds#28028

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 09:22:33 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 09:22 UTC

You have to remember of course that Google have a track record of buying
things or inventing services, then when they get bored, simply closing them
Two other things spring to mind. The feedburner podcast scaper and the
Google home or nest actions which you could write yourself, and then they
took all third party ones away saying they would be replaced by an easier to
use system but have never done it. Of course even the way Google do web
based email is weird sending you a copy to your inbox. It now seems to
affect pop3 and Imap as well, and the very quirky way they do two factor
verification, where if you are away and log in from another computer and
have a different phone with you, the auth code goes to the one you left at
home, locking you out.
Google docs that seem to use shorts used only by themselves, which if you
have been used to Word are alien to you.
Brian

--

--:
"Sn!pe" <snipeco.2@gmail.com> wrote in message
> John Williamson <johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> wrote:
>
>> On 20/12/2023 09:55, Brian Gaff wrote:
>> > Seems either my feed or the posts have stopped again two days ago.
>> >
>> > I don't post through Google but do have a google email. I know that
>> > several
>> > servers have been filtering google posts as spam recently.
>> > Brian
>> >
>> All news servers are suffering from a torrent of spam posts via Google
>> Groups, apparently originating in Thailand.
>>
>> News.Individual.Net has been up and down like a yo-yo for a while now.
>> Sometimes logging off and back on clears the delay, sometimes
>> un-subscribing and re-subscribing works, sometimes using an alternative
>> port does the job.
>>
>> The guy that runs Eternal September has mentioned the problems he has
>> been having keeping the site up and running on the website.
>>

> IMO Eternal-September has been remarkably resilient during the current
> Googlespam flood attack. E-S admin Ray Banana has been instrumental
> in coordinating NoCeM filter lists for the Newsserver community. It's a
> huge game of Whack-A-Mole. Roll on February when Google closes its
> Web2News gateway and the buk of the problem goes away.
>
> If any Google Groupers want to stay on Usenet they'll have to get
> themselves real Newsservers and real Newsreaders. Apply here for
> free advice on free services and free 'readers. News wants to be free.
>
> --
> ^�^. Sn!pe, PA, FIBS - Professional Crastinator
>
> Google to close Usenet gateway; my pet rock Gordon just smiled.

Re: Bleugh

<NpCcnVBzDuWvmBn4nZ2dnZfqn_ednZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28029&group=uk.rec.sheds#28029

Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 09:28:18 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: tease-an...@invalid (Tease'n'Seize)
 by: Tease'n'Se - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 09:28 UTC

Brian Gaff wrote:

> I'd have thought that since Usenet is now such
> a small niche place on user numbers, most spammers had given up spamming to
> them.

Several groups I use have recently been getting multi-thousands of spam
messages per day, mostly cancelled by my filters or the server's filters
within a few seconds of arriving

Re: Bleugh

<kuine4FbtfmU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28030&group=uk.rec.sheds#28030

From: johnwill...@btinternet.com (John Williamson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 11:55:48 +0000
 by: John Williamson - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 11:55 UTC

On 21/12/2023 09:05, Tease'n'Seize wrote:
> Tim+ wrote:
>
>> John Williamson wrote:
>>
>>> News.Individual.Net has been up and down like a yo-yo for a while now.
>>
>> Really? Not noticed that.
>> I use NIN all the time.
>
> ditto

Maybe I've upset them.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Re: Bleugh

<1ah8oi9uekoettkretmh2peujqqqvvltp1@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28031&group=uk.rec.sheds#28031

From: hub...@ccanoemail.com
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 09:06:11 -0500
 by: hub...@ccanoemail.com - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 14:06 UTC

On Thu, 21 Dec 2023 09:28:18 +0000, Tease'n'Seize
<tease-and-seize@invalid> wrote:

>Brian Gaff wrote:
>
>> I'd have thought that since Usenet is now such
>> a small niche place on user numbers, most spammers had given up spamming to
>> them.
>
>Several groups I use have recently been getting multi-thousands of spam
>messages per day, mostly cancelled by my filters or the server's filters
>within a few seconds of arriving

I have 1 such group rec woodworking ; the posts are just
gobbledy-goop so I don't know what is accomplished by the
spam bots .. The regular people seem to be just taking a hiatus
and waiting for it to go away.
John T.

Re: Bleugh

<slrnuo8j2f.hp4.maus@deb2.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28032&group=uk.rec.sheds#28032

From: mau...@deb2.org (maus)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 21 Dec 2023 14:31:43 GMT
 by: maus - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 14:31 UTC

On 2023-12-20, Sn!pe <snipeco.2@gmail.com> wrote:
> John Williamson <johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> wrote:
>
>> On 20/12/2023 09:55, Brian Gaff wrote:
>> > Seems either my feed or the posts have stopped again two days ago.
>> >
>> > I don't post through Google but do have a google email. I know that several
>> > servers have been filtering google posts as spam recently.
>> > Brian
>> >
>> All news servers are suffering from a torrent of spam posts via Google
>> Groups, apparently originating in Thailand.
>>
>> News.Individual.Net has been up and down like a yo-yo for a while now.
>> Sometimes logging off and back on clears the delay, sometimes
>> un-subscribing and re-subscribing works, sometimes using an alternative
>> port does the job.
>>
>> The guy that runs Eternal September has mentioned the problems he has
>> been having keeping the site up and running on the website.
>>

> IMO Eternal-September has been remarkably resilient during the current
> Googlespam flood attack. E-S admin Ray Banana has been instrumental
> in coordinating NoCeM filter lists for the Newsserver community. It's a
> huge game of Whack-A-Mole. Roll on February when Google closes its
> Web2News gateway and the buk of the problem goes away.
>
> If any Google Groupers want to stay on Usenet they'll have to get
> themselves real Newsservers and real Newsreaders. Apply here for
> free advice on free services and free 'readers. News wants to be free.

I was sitting watching pron yesterday when my machine was flooded with
pron. I am at an age when i wonder if the lady concerned has wiped
sufficiently, rather than any other idea, but I restarted the machine
like a winuser before looking for the affected port. With a speccy, you
could physically access the port (To my memory

Happy Xmas to alll

--
greymausg@mail.com
T'was Christmaus night in the Workhouse, all the clients excited at

Re: Bleugh

<1qm3j3w.1a2jvo9ir2kh2N%snipeco.2@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28036&group=uk.rec.sheds#28036

From: snipec...@gmail.com (Sn!pe)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 16:03:11 +0000
This article may be reproduced for the purposes of propagation and
personal use only, no commercial use without express permission.
 by: Sn!pe - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 16:03 UTC

<hubops@ccanoemail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Dec 2023 09:28:18 +0000, Tease'n'Seize
> <tease-and-seize@invalid> wrote:
>
> >Brian Gaff wrote:
> >
> >> I'd have thought that since Usenet is now such a small niche place on
> >> user numbers, most spammers had given up spamming to them.
> >
> >Several groups I use have recently been getting multi-thousands of spam
> >messages per day, mostly cancelled by my filters or the server's filters
> >within a few seconds of arriving
> >

> I have 1 such group rec woodworking ; the posts are just
> gobbledy-goop so I don't know what is accomplished by the
> spam bots .. The regular people seem to be just taking a hiatus
> and waiting for it to go away.
> John T.

That's how groups dwindle, wither and die. If nobody cares enough to
take action, that's what will happen. What action? Add your voices to
the many already complaining.

--
^Ï^. Sn!pe, PA, FIBS - Professional Crastinator

My pet rock Gordon likes the closure of Google's Web2News gateway.

Re: Bleugh

<hso8oi5oa3rl6acpdjghqo5ap69hcskb6m@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28037&group=uk.rec.sheds#28037

From: hub...@ccanoemail.com
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 11:13:48 -0500
 by: hub...@ccanoemail.com - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 16:13 UTC

On Thu, 21 Dec 2023 16:03:11 +0000, snipeco.2@gmail.com (Sn!pe) wrote:

><hubops@ccanoemail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 21 Dec 2023 09:28:18 +0000, Tease'n'Seize
>> <tease-and-seize@invalid> wrote:

>> >Several groups I use have recently been getting multi-thousands of spam
>> >messages per day, mostly cancelled by my filters or the server's filters
>> >within a few seconds of arriving
>> >

>> I have 1 such group rec woodworking ; the posts are just
>> gobbledy-goop so I don't know what is accomplished by the
>> spam bots .. The regular people seem to be just taking a hiatus
>> and waiting for it to go away.
>> John T.
>>

>That's how groups dwindle, wither and die. If nobody cares enough to
>take action, that's what will happen. What action? Add your voices to
>the many already complaining.

Back to square one, on this - who does one "complain" to ?
When it started, I looked into google groups and found zero
leads to any sort of abuse reporting.
John T.

Re: Bleugh

<1qm3jzp.mgocre12iwtbcN%snipeco.2@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28038&group=uk.rec.sheds#28038

From: snipec...@gmail.com (Sn!pe)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 16:42:56 +0000
This article comprises only my personal opinions unless otherwise stated.
May contain traces of nuts.
 by: Sn!pe - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 16:42 UTC

<hubops@ccanoemail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Dec 2023 16:03:11 +0000, snipeco.2@gmail.com (Sn!pe) wrote:
>
> ><hubops@ccanoemail.com> wrote:

> >> I have 1 such group rec woodworking ; the posts are just
> >> gobbledy-goop so I don't know what is accomplished by the
> >> spam bots .. The regular people seem to be just taking a hiatus
> >> and waiting for it to go away.
> >> John T.
> >>

> >That's how groups dwindle, wither and die. If nobody cares enough to
> >take action, that's what will happen. What action? Add your voices to
> >the many already complaining.
>

> Back to square one, on this - who does one "complain" to ?
> When it started, I looked into google groups and found zero
> leads to any sort of abuse reporting.
> John T.

If your froup isn't worth fighting for, it isn't worth saving.

Granted that Google are apparently stone deaf (is that really true?)
there is still a torrent of complaint around almost all the abused
groups. Also in NSPs' support groups and e.g. news.admin.net-abuse.*
etc. where many News admins hold court. The more clamour there is,
the better the chances that Something Will Be Done (this is 'something',
therefore it must be done, obvs. . .)

"Waiting for the spam to go away" really means "relying on the ongoing,
thankless, hard work of many unpaid spam-fighters" who do it for the
love of Usenet. Anyway, it will be moot come February (at least, until
the spammers find another service to abuse).

In the words of Father Ted: "Down With This Sort Of Thing."

--
^Ï^. Sn!pe, PA, FIBS - Professional Crastinator

My pet rock Gordon likes the closure of Google's Web2News gateway.

Re: Bleugh

<g9s8oi582km7v3lidaehj1or3srohnnt3s@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28039&group=uk.rec.sheds#28039

From: hub...@ccanoemail.com
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 12:13:17 -0500
 by: hub...@ccanoemail.com - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 17:13 UTC

On Thu, 21 Dec 2023 16:42:56 +0000, snipeco.2@gmail.com (Sn!pe) wrote:

><hubops@ccanoemail.com> wrote:

>> >That's how groups dwindle, wither and die. If nobody cares enough to
>> >take action, that's what will happen. What action? Add your voices to
>> >the many already complaining.
>>

>> Back to square one, on this - who does one "complain" to ?
>> When it started, I looked into google groups and found zero
>> leads to any sort of abuse reporting.
>> John T.
>>

>If your froup isn't worth fighting for, it isn't worth saving.
>
>Granted that Google are apparently stone deaf (is that really true?)
>there is still a torrent of complaint around almost all the abused
>groups. Also in NSPs' support groups and e.g. news.admin.net-abuse.*
>etc. where many News admins hold court. The more clamour there is,
>the better the chances that Something Will Be Done (this is 'something',
>therefore it must be done, obvs. . .)
>
>"Waiting for the spam to go away" really means "relying on the ongoing,
>thankless, hard work of many unpaid spam-fighters" who do it for the
>love of Usenet. Anyway, it will be moot come February (at least, until
>the spammers find another service to abuse).
>
>In the words of Father Ted: "Down With This Sort Of Thing."

Thanks for the advice, but news admin net abuse
looks like a dead group - only 1 ignored thread in 2023 ;
going back to 2014 shows a grand total of ~ a dozen posts,
mostly trash.
Any other suggestions ?
John T.

Re: Bleugh

<BsOdnciaw_r8GBn4nZ2dnZfqn_udnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28040&group=uk.rec.sheds#28040

Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 18:30:37 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: tease-an...@invalid (Tease'n'Seize)
 by: Tease'n'Se - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 18:30 UTC

hubops@ccanoemail.com wrote:

> Sn!pe wrote:
>
>> That's how groups dwindle, wither and die.
>
> Back to square one, on this - who does one "complain" to ?
> When it started, I looked into google groups and found zero
> leads to any sort of abuse reporting

historically there was no point complaining, they never listened, except
now they have listened and they're taking their ball away, so still no
point complaining.

Telling people how to whitelist the regulars and dump the rest of
googlegroups maybe helpful short term

Also point them to proper proper clients (thunderblum, agent, etc)
proper news servers (E-S, N-I-N, etc) or to alternate web-frontends
(narkive, novabbs, etc) otherwise in two months lots of regulars may go
away never to be seen again ...

Re: Bleugh

<1T%gN.64349$Ama9.13031@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28041&group=uk.rec.sheds#28041

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 18:55:58 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 18:55 UTC

On 21-Dec-23 11:55, John Williamson wrote:
> On 21/12/2023 09:05, Tease'n'Seize wrote:
>> Tim+ wrote:

>>> Really? Not noticed that.
>>> I use NIN all the time.
>>
>> ditto
>>

> Maybe I've upset them.

Unlike the Knights who say "Ni!" - we have the Sheddies who say "NIN".

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Bleugh

<tvacnUIuKZZxEhn4nZ2dnZfqnPSdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28042&group=uk.rec.sheds#28042

Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 19:20:13 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: tease-an...@invalid (Tease'n'Seize)
 by: Tease'n'Se - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 19:20 UTC

hubops@ccanoemail.com wrote:

> Thanks for the advice, but news admin net abuse
> looks like a dead group - only 1 ignored thread in 2023 ;

I haven't normally played in n.a.n-a.usenet, but it seems to have lit-up
this month, 19 threads with 400-odd messages, as seen from N-I-N

Re: Bleugh

<1qm40up.1aj8su0estieN%snipeco.2@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28044&group=uk.rec.sheds#28044

From: snipec...@gmail.com (Sn!pe)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 22:34:06 +0000
iZ4vFDG
 by: Sn!pe - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 22:34 UTC

<hubops@ccanoemail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Dec 2023 16:42:56 +0000, snipeco.2@gmail.com (Sn!pe) wrote:
>
> ><hubops@ccanoemail.com> wrote:

> >> Back to square one, on this - who does one "complain" to ?
> >> When it started, I looked into google groups and found zero
> >> leads to any sort of abuse reporting.
> >> John T.
> >>

> >If your froup isn't worth fighting for, it isn't worth saving.
> >
> >Granted that Google are apparently stone deaf (is that really true?)
> >there is still a torrent of complaint around almost all the abused
> >groups. Also in NSPs' support groups and e.g. news.admin.net-abuse.*
> >etc. where many News admins hold court. The more clamour there is,
> >the better the chances that Something Will Be Done (this is 'something',
> >therefore it must be done, obvs. . .)
> >
> >"Waiting for the spam to go away" really means "relying on the ongoing,
> >thankless, hard work of many unpaid spam-fighters" who do it for the
> >love of Usenet. Anyway, it will be moot come February (at least, until
> >the spammers find another service to abuse).
> >
> >In the words of Father Ted: "Down With This Sort Of Thing."
>

> Thanks for the advice, but news admin net abuse
> looks like a dead group - only 1 ignored thread in 2023 ;
> going back to 2014 shows a grand total of ~ a dozen posts,
> mostly trash.
> Any other suggestions ?
> John T.

Look in news.admin.net-abuse.email; news.admin.net-abuse.misc;
news.admin.net-abuse.usenet; (that's what I meant by
news.admin.net-abuse.*) also news.admin.peering and sundry
other groups in the news.* hierarchy. There are ~many~ posts
in them this year, far more than I'll even try to count.

--
^Ï^. Sn!pe, PA, FIBS - Professional Crastinator

My pet rock Gordon likes the closure of Google's Web2News gateway.

Re: Bleugh

<um400h$1ijtj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28049&group=uk.rec.sheds#28049

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2023 12:38:38 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Fri, 22 Dec 2023 12:38 UTC

I wonder if all this kerfuffle around spam is why there seem to be a great
number of ISPs now no longer offering free emai addresses? The way things
are going is that email will become a service you pay for from a third
party. It kind of makes you wonder if Google will eventually charge for a
fully featured email service with pop3 and Imap and only allow free
customers to use the online version with adverts.
At the moment, Yahoo are still apparently allowing emails but its pretty
hard to set one up as a blind person, and they still have that legacy of
leaks to contend with.
Brian

--

--:
"Tim+" <timdownieuk@yahoo.co.youkay> wrote in message
> John Williamson <johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> wrote:
>> On 20/12/2023 09:55, Brian Gaff wrote:
>>> Seems either my feed or the posts have stopped again two days ago.
>>>
>>> I don't post through Google but do have a google email. I know that
>>> several
>>> servers have been filtering google posts as spam recently.
>>> Brian
>>>
>> All news servers are suffering from a torrent of spam posts via Google
>> Groups, apparently originating in Thailand.
>>
>> News.Individual.Net has been up and down like a yo-yo for a while now.
>
> Really? Not noticed that.
>
> I use NIN all the time.
>
> Tim
>
> --
> Please don't feed the trolls

Re: Bleugh

<um40kk$1imm8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28051&group=uk.rec.sheds#28051

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2023 12:49:21 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Fri, 22 Dec 2023 12:49 UTC

Or just ignoring them really, which is what I try to do. Text, thankfully,
does not take up much room.
Brian

--

--:
<hubops@ccanoemail.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 21 Dec 2023 09:28:18 +0000, Tease'n'Seize
> <tease-and-seize@invalid> wrote:
>
>>Brian Gaff wrote:
>>
>>> I'd have thought that since Usenet is now such
>>> a small niche place on user numbers, most spammers had given up spamming
>>> them.
>>
>>Several groups I use have recently been getting multi-thousands of spam
>>messages per day, mostly cancelled by my filters or the server's filters
>>within a few seconds of arriving
>>

> I have 1 such group rec woodworking ; the posts are just
> gobbledy-goop so I don't know what is accomplished by the
> spam bots .. The regular people seem to be just taking a hiatus
> and waiting for it to go away.
> John T.

Re: Bleugh

<um41dl$1iqhh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28053&group=uk.rec.sheds#28053

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2023 13:02:42 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Fri, 22 Dec 2023 13:02 UTC

Yes but in a non centralised system who do you moan at and exactly what can
be done about it even then?There seems to have always been a war going on
between the attempt to keep rubbish off a group and the spammers work
around.

I am not sure if these spams are generated by one machine or some kind of
bot hidden on lots of peoples machines so they run in the background and
thwart the black listing of servers. This approach seems to be happening on
email, and results in whole groups of mail servers being unable to email to
anyone who has used that blacklisted server.
On news, there are now far fewer servers than there were as ISPs have
seen that the work load in keeping them running is growing due to spam.
The spam is not all big business items like fraud related card details, or
drugs. There is one , I assume, real lady with an apparently very active
phone and video sex trade running spamming like mad.
I'd make a distinction between sex, political crap and criminal activities
around cards and drugs. We have always suffered from the first, but the
other two seem blatant. At first I thought the political ones were just
trolls winding people up, but I'm not so sure now. They could be an attempt
to convince people that there is some mega conspiracy going on.
Brian

--

--:
> On Thu, 21 Dec 2023 16:03:11 +0000, snipeco.2@gmail.com (Sn!pe) wrote:
>
>><hubops@ccanoemail.com> wrote:

>>> I have 1 such group rec woodworking ; the posts are just
>>> gobbledy-goop so I don't know what is accomplished by the
>>> spam bots .. The regular people seem to be just taking a hiatus
>>> and waiting for it to go away.
>>> John T.
>>>

>>That's how groups dwindle, wither and die. If nobody cares enough to
>>take action, that's what will happen. What action? Add your voices to
>>the many already complaining.
>

> Back to square one, on this - who does one "complain" to ?
> When it started, I looked into google groups and found zero
> leads to any sort of abuse reporting.
> John T.

Re: Bleugh

<um41mk$1irp5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28055&group=uk.rec.sheds#28055

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2023 13:07:29 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Fri, 22 Dec 2023 13:07 UTC

In the past, if I'd tried to complain to an admin group, it tended to be
bounced back or at the very least no indication that anyone had read it.
There are a lot of groups on the feed that seem to exist in lists but are
either never used or not distributed via the network or backbone or whatever
you want to call it.

Brian

--

--: