While having never invented a sin, I'm trying to perfect several.

aus+uk / uk.railway / Re: TOT: grinding coffee

SubjectAuthor
* TOT: grinding coffeeScott
+* TOT: grinding coffeeColinR
|`* TOT: grinding coffeeScott
| +* TOT: grinding coffeeRoland Perry
| |+* TOT: grinding coffeeCharles Ellson
| ||`* TOT: grinding coffeeMB
| || +* TOT: grinding coffeeScott
| || `- TOT: grinding coffeeRoland Perry
| |+* TOT: grinding coffeeKen
| ||+* TOT: grinding coffeeScott
| ||+- TOT: grinding coffeeMB
| ||+* TOT: grinding coffeeRoland Perry
| ||`- TOT: grinding coffeeRupert Moss-Eccardt
| |`* TOT: grinding coffeeNY
| | `* TOT: grinding coffeeRoland Perry
| |  `* TOT: grinding coffeeMB
| |   `- TOT: grinding coffeeRoland Perry
| +* TOT: grinding coffeeRupert Moss-Eccardt
| |+* TOT: grinding coffeeScott
| ||`* TOT: grinding coffeeCharles Ellson
| || +- TOT: grinding coffeeScott
| || `* TOT: grinding coffeeRoger Lynn
| ||  `* TOT: grinding coffeeMB
| ||   `* TOT: grinding coffeeScott
| ||    +- TOT: grinding coffeeCertes
| ||    `- TOT: grinding coffeeCharles Ellson
| |`* TOT: grinding coffeeMB
| | +* TOT: grinding coffeeTweed
| | |`* TOT: grinding coffeeScott
| | | +* TOT: grinding coffeeMuttley
| | | `* TOT: grinding coffeeTweed
| | |  `* TOT: grinding coffeeMB
| | |   +- TOT: grinding coffeeScott
| | |   `* TOT: grinding coffeeAnna Noyd-Dryver
| | |    `* TOT: grinding coffeeRecliner
| | |     `* TOT: grinding coffeeMB
| | |      `* TOT: grinding coffeeAnna Noyd-Dryver
| | |       +- TOT: grinding coffeeSam Wilson
| | |       `- TOT: grinding coffeeRoger Lynn
| | `- TOT: grinding coffeeCharles Ellson
| `- TOT: grinding coffeeColinR
+* TOT: grinding coffeeClank
|`* TOT: grinding coffeehounslow3@yahoo.co.uk
| `* TOT: grinding coffeeNobody
|  `- TOT: grinding coffeehounslow3@yahoo.co.uk
+* TOT: grinding coffeeMark Goodge
|+* TOT: grinding coffeeD A Stocks
||`- TOT: grinding coffeeMark Goodge
|`* TOT: grinding coffeeScott
| +- TOT: grinding coffeeMark Goodge
| `- TOT: grinding coffeeGB
+* TOT: grinding coffeeDavid Jones
|+* TOT: grinding coffeeScott
||`* TOT: grinding coffeeMuttley
|| `* TOT: grinding coffeeCharles Ellson
||  `* TOT: grinding coffeeMuttley
||   `* TOT: grinding coffeeNY
||    +* TOT: grinding coffeeMuttley
||    |+* TOT: grinding coffeeClank
||    ||+* TOT: grinding coffeeNY
||    |||`- TOT: grinding coffeeMB
||    ||`- TOT: grinding coffeeNY
||    |`- TOT: grinding coffeehounslow3@yahoo.co.uk
||    `* TOT: grinding coffeeTweed
||     `* TOT: grinding coffeeMuttley
||      `- TOT: grinding coffeeNY
|`* TOT: grinding coffeeMark Goodge
| `- TOT: grinding coffeeMB
+* TOT: grinding coffeeJohn Levine
+- TOT: grinding coffeeEddie King
`* TOT: grinding coffeeAnthonyL

Pages:12345
TOT: grinding coffee

<bmivdhlltotnfglli78sorf8jc0hfjonvc@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35070&group=uk.railway#35070

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: TOT: grinding coffee
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2022 12:13:16 +0100
 by: Scott - Tue, 26 Jul 2022 11:13 UTC

Although OT, I'm sure this is a subject that has become familiar to
most members of the group over the years.

My coffee grinder is on its way out and I am looking at replacement.
Prices range from £9 (Asda) to several hundred pounds. I know the
experts say that burr is better than blades and ability to set the
fine-ness is important to the brewing process. However, for an
average, inexpert, low-use coffee drinker looking for a palatable mug
of coffee, does it really make much difference? (You can always very
the time to adjust the fine-ness.)

Re: TOT: grinding coffee

<tbojuv$1uecp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35072&group=uk.railway#35072

From: rai...@greystane.shetland.co.uk (ColinR)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2022 12:13:16 +0100
 by: ColinR - Tue, 26 Jul 2022 11:42 UTC

On 26/07/2022 12:13, Scott wrote:
> Although OT, I'm sure this is a subject that has become familiar to
> most members of the group over the years.
>
> My coffee grinder is on its way out and I am looking at replacement.
> Prices range from £9 (Asda) to several hundred pounds. I know the
> experts say that burr is better than blades and ability to set the
> fine-ness is important to the brewing process. However, for an
> average, inexpert, low-use coffee drinker looking for a palatable mug
> of coffee, does it really make much difference? (You can always very
> the time to adjust the fine-ness.)

Of corse you could always get someone else to do the hard work and buy a
pod machine such as Dolce Gusto, Nespresso or Tassimo!

--
Colin

Re: TOT: grinding coffee

<1ukvdhhlhj40ofi3qcvpag7lmuv4k33208@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35073&group=uk.railway#35073

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2022 12:13:16 +0100
 by: Scott - Tue, 26 Jul 2022 11:48 UTC

On Tue, 26 Jul 2022 12:42:24 +0100, ColinR
<rail@greystane.shetland.co.uk> wrote:

>On 26/07/2022 12:13, Scott wrote:
>> Although OT, I'm sure this is a subject that has become familiar to
>> most members of the group over the years.
>>
>> My coffee grinder is on its way out and I am looking at replacement.
>> Prices range from £9 (Asda) to several hundred pounds. I know the
>> experts say that burr is better than blades and ability to set the
>> fine-ness is important to the brewing process. However, for an
>> average, inexpert, low-use coffee drinker looking for a palatable mug
>> of coffee, does it really make much difference? (You can always very *VARY*
>> the time to adjust the fine-ness.)
>
>Of corse you could always get someone else to do the hard work and buy a
>pod machine such as Dolce Gusto, Nespresso or Tassimo!

This is true but I think there would be a lack of congruence with the
household environmental policies.

Re: TOT: grinding coffee

<tboto9$20vfo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35080&group=uk.railway#35080

From: clan...@googlemail.com (Clank)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2022 12:13:16 +0100
 by: Clank - Tue, 26 Jul 2022 14:29 UTC

On 26 Jul 2022 at 1:13:16 PM CEST, "Scott" <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk>
wrote:

> Although OT, I'm sure this is a subject that has become familiar to
> most members of the group over the years.
>
> My coffee grinder is on its way out and I am looking at replacement.
> Prices range from £9 (Asda) to several hundred pounds. I know the
> experts say that burr is better than blades and ability to set the
> fine-ness is important to the brewing process. However, for an
> average, inexpert, low-use coffee drinker looking for a palatable mug
> of coffee, does it really make much difference? (You can always very
> the time to adjust the fine-ness.)

To be completely honest, buying a decent grinder is this single thing that has
made the most difference to how good my coffee tastes*. I have been through
various espresso machines over the years, and none has made as much difference
as the day I bought a decent grinder.

The grinder that has made me so happy is this one:
<https://baratza.com/grinder/sette-270/>

And yes, I know there will be a barrage of "what a waste of money" comments
from the usual suspects; just rest assured I don't give a rat's arse.

* amazing, btw.

Re: TOT: grinding coffee

<2CLImAlhf$3iFAs$@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35082&group=uk.railway#35082

From: rol...@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2022 12:13:16 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Tue, 26 Jul 2022 14:19 UTC

In message <1ukvdhhlhj40ofi3qcvpag7lmuv4k33208@4ax.com>, at 12:48:10 on
Tue, 26 Jul 2022, Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> remarked:
>On Tue, 26 Jul 2022 12:42:24 +0100, ColinR
><rail@greystane.shetland.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>On 26/07/2022 12:13, Scott wrote:
>>> Although OT, I'm sure this is a subject that has become familiar to
>>> most members of the group over the years.
>>>
>>> My coffee grinder is on its way out and I am looking at replacement.
>>> Prices range from £9 (Asda) to several hundred pounds. I know the
>>> experts say that burr is better than blades and ability to set the
>>> fine-ness is important to the brewing process. However, for an
>>> average, inexpert, low-use coffee drinker looking for a palatable mug
>>> of coffee, does it really make much difference? (You can always very *VARY*
>>> the time to adjust the fine-ness.)
>>
>>Of corse you could always get someone else to do the hard work and buy a
>>pod machine such as Dolce Gusto, Nespresso or Tassimo!
>
>This is true but I think there would be a lack of congruence with the
>household environmental policies.

If you are worried that much about the environmental impact of a tiny
amount of coffee packaging (did anyone actually do an audit), then buy a
can of instant that'll make a hundred cups. You can even get it "Costa"
branded these days.

The can is metal and recyclable, although I understand the national
average for that [all materials] is 8% of what *could* be recycled, so
blame your local council if they are guilty of contributing to the 92%
--
Roland Perry

Re: TOT: grinding coffee

<tbou21$s1k$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35084&group=uk.railway#35084

From: hounsl...@yahoo.co.uk (hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2022 12:13:16 +0100
 by: hounslow3@yahoo.co.u - Tue, 26 Jul 2022 14:34 UTC

On 26/07/2022 15:29, Clank wrote:
> On 26 Jul 2022 at 1:13:16 PM CEST, "Scott" <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
>> Although OT, I'm sure this is a subject that has become familiar to
>> most members of the group over the years.
>>
>> My coffee grinder is on its way out and I am looking at replacement.
>> Prices range from £9 (Asda) to several hundred pounds. I know the
>> experts say that burr is better than blades and ability to set the
>> fine-ness is important to the brewing process. However, for an
>> average, inexpert, low-use coffee drinker looking for a palatable mug
>> of coffee, does it really make much difference? (You can always very
>> the time to adjust the fine-ness.)
>
> To be completely honest, buying a decent grinder is this single thing that has
> made the most difference to how good my coffee tastes*. I have been through
> various espresso machines over the years, and none has made as much difference
> as the day I bought a decent grinder.
>
> The grinder that has made me so happy is this one:
> <https://baratza.com/grinder/sette-270/>
>
> And yes, I know there will be a barrage of "what a waste of money" comments
> from the usual suspects; just rest assured I don't give a rat's arse.

The usual suspect is to be ignored.

As long as it does not harm yourself or others, as long as you are happy
with it, then all power to you.

To each his own, in a word.

Re: TOT: grinding coffee

<gcuvdhl0i85cb93ucnjmqu8nogtk5ccgmn@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35085&group=uk.railway#35085

From: use...@listmail.good-stuff.co.uk (Mark Goodge)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2022 12:13:16 +0100
 by: Mark Goodge - Tue, 26 Jul 2022 14:38 UTC

On Tue, 26 Jul 2022 12:13:16 +0100, Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk>
wrote:

>Although OT, I'm sure this is a subject that has become familiar to
>most members of the group over the years.
>
>My coffee grinder is on its way out and I am looking at replacement.
>Prices range from £9 (Asda) to several hundred pounds. I know the
>experts say that burr is better than blades and ability to set the
>fine-ness is important to the brewing process. However, for an
>average, inexpert, low-use coffee drinker looking for a palatable mug
>of coffee, does it really make much difference? (You can always very
>the time to adjust the fine-ness.)

I asked the same question on a mailing list about 18 months ago, and on the
basis of recommendations I received I bought one of these:
https://amzn.to/3S4pHPi

As to your specific questions...

Yes, burr is better than blades. Mainly because a burr grinder will be much
more reliable in the long run as blades go blunt while burrs don't. The
slight extra cost is worth it.

The only scenario where blades are better is if you want a multipurpose
machine that will grind things other than coffee beans, as burrs will clog
if the thing you are grinding is anything other than completely dry. But the
faff of emptying it out and cleaning it in order to grind something else
isn't, frankly, worth it. Have a coffee grinder for coffee and a multichef
for other things.

Being able to adjust the grade of the cut isn't hugely important if you only
ever use a cafetiere (French press) to make coffee, because, as you say, you
can adjust the brewing time to suit the coarseness of the grind. But if you
ever make filter coffee then you do need a grinder that will grind it fine
enough, as you can't adjust the brewing time. Most grinders are adjustable
in this respect, so the economy of getting one which isn't is not really
worth it in the long run.

Mark

Re: TOT: grinding coffee

<sc10eh97a3q8k2vvj3n1d80n0cr6q6tvb6@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35088&group=uk.railway#35088

From: joc...@soccer.com (Nobody)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2022 12:13:16 +0100
 by: Nobody - Tue, 26 Jul 2022 15:19 UTC

On Tue, 26 Jul 2022 15:34:41 +0100, "hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk"
<hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>To each his own, in a word.

Or four... Yikes, inflation has even set in with the wordsmiths!

Re: TOT: grinding coffee

<tbp0qd$7lb$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35089&group=uk.railway#35089

From: dajhaw...@nowherel.com (David Jones)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2022 12:13:16 +0100
 by: David Jones - Tue, 26 Jul 2022 15:21 UTC

Scott wrote:

> Although OT, I'm sure this is a subject that has become familiar to
> most members of the group over the years.
>
> My coffee grinder is on its way out and I am looking at replacement.
> Prices range from £9 (Asda) to several hundred pounds. I know the
> experts say that burr is better than blades and ability to set the
> fine-ness is important to the brewing process. However, for an
> average, inexpert, low-use coffee drinker looking for a palatable mug
> of coffee, does it really make much difference? (You can always very
> the time to adjust the fine-ness.)

An alternative is to buy coffee from a traditional coffee shop, and get
them to grind it for you, tailored to how you prepare your coffee.

Re: TOT: grinding coffee

<fj60ehdq2shckgqsubo97ufblpoc4sig5r@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35091&group=uk.railway#35091

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2022 12:13:16 +0100
 by: Scott - Tue, 26 Jul 2022 16:47 UTC

On Tue, 26 Jul 2022 15:21:49 -0000 (UTC), "David Jones"
<dajhawkxx@nowherel.com> wrote:

>Scott wrote:
>
>> Although OT, I'm sure this is a subject that has become familiar to
>> most members of the group over the years.
>>
>> My coffee grinder is on its way out and I am looking at replacement.
>> Prices range from £9 (Asda) to several hundred pounds. I know the
>> experts say that burr is better than blades and ability to set the
>> fine-ness is important to the brewing process. However, for an
>> average, inexpert, low-use coffee drinker looking for a palatable mug
>> of coffee, does it really make much difference? (You can always very
>> the time to adjust the fine-ness.)
>
>An alternative is to buy coffee from a traditional coffee shop, and get
>them to grind it for you, tailored to how you prepare your coffee.

This is true, but I believe it reduces the shelf life and freshness.

Re: TOT: grinding coffee

<tbp6v1$11f1$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35092&group=uk.railway#35092

From: hounsl...@yahoo.co.uk (hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2022 12:13:16 +0100
 by: hounslow3@yahoo.co.u - Tue, 26 Jul 2022 17:06 UTC

On 26/07/2022 16:19, Nobody wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Jul 2022 15:34:41 +0100, "hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk"
> <hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> To each his own, in a word.
>>

> Or four... Yikes, inflation has even set in with the wordsmiths!

:-)

Re: TOT: grinding coffee

<tbpbj3$24ffb$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35094&group=uk.railway#35094

From: nos...@nospam.com (D A Stocks)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2022 12:13:16 +0100
 by: D A Stocks - Tue, 26 Jul 2022 18:25 UTC

"Mark Goodge" <usenet@listmail.good-stuff.co.uk> wrote in message

> I asked the same question on a mailing list about 18 months ago, and on
> the
> basis of recommendations I received I bought one of these:
> https://amzn.to/3S4pHPi

Here is a review of some popular burr grinders costing around £50 and it
includes the one linked above:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVYGxext8XI

Here is another video from the same source discussing issues and features of
coffee grinders in general. I think the electric grinders on the bench range
in price from around £200 to US$3500:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgjvLQu5NlE

My own 'daily driver' is a rather antique Ceado E37 commercial grinder I
picked up secondhand for around £250 and then modified for home use. I am
grinding specifically for espresso. It probably cost at least £1000 when it
was new.

--
DAS

Re: TOT: grinding coffee

<tbpfjm$2off$1@gal.iecc.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35096&group=uk.railway#35096

From: joh...@taugh.com (John Levine)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2022 12:13:16 +0100
 by: John Levine - Tue, 26 Jul 2022 19:34 UTC

According to Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk>:
>fine-ness is important to the brewing process. However, for an
>average, inexpert, low-use coffee drinker looking for a palatable mug
>of coffee, does it really make much difference? (You can always very
>the time to adjust the fine-ness.)

I find it makes a difference, since the whirring blade models tend to
heat up the coffee too much while grinding it.

My grinder is a Zassenhaus manual burr grinder. Works great, time to
grind the coffee by hand is less than the time to boil the water to
pour over it.

They're not cheap, on the order of �100, but if you dont mistreat them
they last forever.

--
Regards,
John Levine, johnl@taugh.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",

Re: TOT: grinding coffee

<fko0ehht03d4vmq2h4uoodb00o3knsqcpl@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35100&group=uk.railway#35100

From: charlese...@btinternet.com (Charles Ellson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2022 12:13:16 +0100
 by: Charles Ellson - Tue, 26 Jul 2022 21:56 UTC

On Tue, 26 Jul 2022 15:19:13 +0100, Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk>
wrote:

>In message <1ukvdhhlhj40ofi3qcvpag7lmuv4k33208@4ax.com>, at 12:48:10 on
>Tue, 26 Jul 2022, Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> remarked:
>>On Tue, 26 Jul 2022 12:42:24 +0100, ColinR
>><rail@greystane.shetland.co.uk> wrote:

>>>Of corse you could always get someone else to do the hard work and buy a
>>>pod machine such as Dolce Gusto, Nespresso or Tassimo!
>>
>>This is true but I think there would be a lack of congruence with the
>>household environmental policies.
>
>If you are worried that much about the environmental impact of a tiny
>amount of coffee packaging (did anyone actually do an audit), then buy a
>can of instant that'll make a hundred cups. You can even get it "Costa"
>branded these days.
>
>The can is metal and recyclable, although I understand the national
>average for that [all materials] is 8% of what *could* be recycled, so
>blame your local council if they are guilty of contributing to the 92%

Much of that 92% is down to people who don't bother to put stuff in
the right bin as can often be observed when walking past waiting bins
on general waste day.

Re: TOT: grinding coffee

<tbqp6g$2f5fi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35101&group=uk.railway#35101

From: MB...@nospam.net (MB)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2022 12:13:16 +0100
 by: MB - Wed, 27 Jul 2022 07:23 UTC

On 26/07/2022 22:56, Charles Ellson wrote:
> Much of that 92% is down to people who don't bother to put stuff in
> the right bin as can often be observed when walking past waiting bins
> on general waste day.

Metal cans must be the easiest item to identify automatically and move
to the appropriate section.

Re: TOT: grinding coffee

<tbqqv4$hgq$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35102&group=uk.railway#35102

From: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2022 12:13:16 +0100
 by: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com - Wed, 27 Jul 2022 07:54 UTC

On Tue, 26 Jul 2022 17:47:03 +0100
Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
>On Tue, 26 Jul 2022 15:21:49 -0000 (UTC), "David Jones"
><dajhawkxx@nowherel.com> wrote:
>
>>Scott wrote:
>>
>>> Although OT, I'm sure this is a subject that has become familiar to
>>> most members of the group over the years.
>>>
>>> My coffee grinder is on its way out and I am looking at replacement.
>>> Prices range from �9 (Asda) to several hundred pounds. I know the
>>> experts say that burr is better than blades and ability to set the
>>> fine-ness is important to the brewing process. However, for an
>>> average, inexpert, low-use coffee drinker looking for a palatable mug
>>> of coffee, does it really make much difference? (You can always very
>>> the time to adjust the fine-ness.)
>>
>>An alternative is to buy coffee from a traditional coffee shop, and get
>>them to grind it for you, tailored to how you prepare your coffee.
>
>This is true, but I believe it reduces the shelf life and freshness.

Ground coffee smells like old cigarette butts to me. Instant coffee smells and
tastes far nicer presumably because they remove the burnt odors and bitter
taste.

Re: TOT: grinding coffee

<rdt1eh5feg4ohd204trrubhd84ni4l67co@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35103&group=uk.railway#35103

From: ken...@birchanger.com (Ken)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2022 12:13:16 +0100
 by: Ken - Wed, 27 Jul 2022 08:26 UTC

wrote:

>In message <1ukvdhhlhj40ofi3qcvpag7lmuv4k33208@4ax.com>, at 12:48:10 on
>Tue, 26 Jul 2022, Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> remarked:
>>On Tue, 26 Jul 2022 12:42:24 +0100, ColinR
>><rail@greystane.shetland.co.uk> wrote:

>>>Of corse you could always get someone else to do the hard work and buy a
>>>pod machine such as Dolce Gusto, Nespresso or Tassimo!
>>
>>This is true but I think there would be a lack of congruence with the
>>household environmental policies.
>
>If you are worried that much about the environmental impact of a tiny
>amount of coffee packaging (did anyone actually do an audit), then buy a
>can of instant that'll make a hundred cups. You can even get it "Costa"
>branded these days.
>
>The can is metal and recyclable, although I understand the national
>average for that [all materials] is 8% of what *could* be recycled, so
>blame your local council if they are guilty of contributing to the 92%

And how much energy does constructing then recycling the pods use? And
surely it's a hugely expensive way to make coffee?

Out of all of the unnecessarily wasteful things that a consumer can do
I've always considered coffee pods to be the just about the most
egregious. I find them absolutely unconscionable. I'll stick to my
AeroPress.

Re: TOT: grinding coffee

<tlu1ehpq6n4830u7d28mfrvbr6h3u7rvub@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35106&group=uk.railway#35106

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2022 12:13:16 +0100
 by: Scott - Wed, 27 Jul 2022 08:44 UTC

On Wed, 27 Jul 2022 08:23:58 +0100, MB <MB@nospam.net> wrote:

>On 26/07/2022 22:56, Charles Ellson wrote:
>> Much of that 92% is down to people who don't bother to put stuff in
>> the right bin as can often be observed when walking past waiting bins
>> on general waste day.
>
>Metal cans must be the easiest item to identify automatically and move
>to the appropriate section.

Especially steel. Is this not done using an electromagnet?

Re: TOT: grinding coffee

<9nu1eh5sraug0ekf3i4nhogu53hsbjj6b7@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35107&group=uk.railway#35107

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2022 12:13:16 +0100

On Wed, 27 Jul 2022 09:26:31 +0100, Ken <ken@birchanger.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 26 Jul 2022 15:19:13 +0100, Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk>
>wrote:
>
>>In message <1ukvdhhlhj40ofi3qcvpag7lmuv4k33208@4ax.com>, at 12:48:10 on
>>Tue, 26 Jul 2022, Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> remarked:

>>>This is true but I think there would be a lack of congruence with the
>>>household environmental policies.
>>
>>If you are worried that much about the environmental impact of a tiny
>>amount of coffee packaging (did anyone actually do an audit), then buy a
>>can of instant that'll make a hundred cups. You can even get it "Costa"
>>branded these days.
>>
>>The can is metal and recyclable, although I understand the national
>>average for that [all materials] is 8% of what *could* be recycled, so
>>blame your local council if they are guilty of contributing to the 92%
>
>And how much energy does constructing then recycling the pods use? And
>surely it's a hugely expensive way to make coffee?
>
>Out of all of the unnecessarily wasteful things that a consumer can do
>I've always considered coffee pods to be the just about the most
>egregious. I find them absolutely unconscionable. I'll stick to my
>AeroPress.

Thank you. You have expressed it better than I could.

Re: TOT: grinding coffee

<eru1ehp48mq00onaik1fd7jv7kvv4mlncj@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35108&group=uk.railway#35108

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2022 12:13:16 +0100
 by: Scott - Wed, 27 Jul 2022 08:49 UTC

On Tue, 26 Jul 2022 15:38:43 +0100, Mark Goodge
<usenet@listmail.good-stuff.co.uk> wrote:
[snip]
>I asked the same question on a mailing list about 18 months ago, and on the
>basis of recommendations I received I bought one of these:
>https://amzn.to/3S4pHPi
[snip]

Thank you for your helpful comments. I think this is now in pole
position. It reviews well though one reviewer says it makes big mess
every time you remove the container. Is this a big issue or just a
question of practice?

Re: TOT: grinding coffee

<jkce6iFqrq2U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35109&group=uk.railway#35109

From: xxxeddie...@gmx.net (Eddie King)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2022 12:13:16 +0100
 by: Eddie King - Wed, 27 Jul 2022 09:18 UTC

On 26.07.2022 13:13, Scott wrote:
> Although OT, I'm sure this is a subject that has become familiar to
> most members of the group over the years.
>
> My coffee grinder is on its way out and I am looking at replacement.
> Prices range from £9 (Asda) to several hundred pounds. I know the
> experts say that burr is better than blades and ability to set the
> fine-ness is important to the brewing process. However, for an
> average, inexpert, low-use coffee drinker looking for a palatable mug
> of coffee, does it really make much difference? (You can always very
> the time to adjust the fine-ness.)

About a year ago I was in the same situation and after much research
bought a CLOER grinder. It has a receptacle for the beans and you can
set the grind time and coarseness of the ground coffee. I have been very
pleased with the results.

Disclaimer: I have no connections with the company and don't know
whether this make is available in the UK.

Re: TOT: grinding coffee

<7l02eht9mfv0kjofkim6sv5rf4cqihaavr@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35110&group=uk.railway#35110

From: use...@listmail.good-stuff.co.uk (Mark Goodge)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2022 12:13:16 +0100
 by: Mark Goodge - Wed, 27 Jul 2022 09:21 UTC

On Tue, 26 Jul 2022 19:25:37 +0100, "D A Stocks" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

>"Mark Goodge" <usenet@listmail.good-stuff.co.uk> wrote in message
>>
>> I asked the same question on a mailing list about 18 months ago, and on
>> the
>> basis of recommendations I received I bought one of these:
>> https://amzn.to/3S4pHPi
>
>Here is a review of some popular burr grinders costing around £50 and it
>includes the one linked above:
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVYGxext8XI

Rather bizarrely, he starts off by comparing what they sound like and what
the control knobs feel like. The idea that that has any effect at all on the
resulting coffee is pure placebo effect, and rather undermines his
comparative tasting as there's no indication he's able to disregard that.
What he really should have done is a blind tasting with people who didn't
know which machine had done which coffee.

Mark

Re: TOT: grinding coffee

<gt02eh192mf7ooafmg23ukvgl2ias8tr3g@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35111&group=uk.railway#35111

From: use...@listmail.good-stuff.co.uk (Mark Goodge)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2022 12:13:16 +0100
 by: Mark Goodge - Wed, 27 Jul 2022 09:28 UTC

On Wed, 27 Jul 2022 09:49:40 +0100, Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk>
wrote:

>On Tue, 26 Jul 2022 15:38:43 +0100, Mark Goodge
><usenet@listmail.good-stuff.co.uk> wrote:
>[snip]
>>I asked the same question on a mailing list about 18 months ago, and on the
>>basis of recommendations I received I bought one of these:
>>https://amzn.to/3S4pHPi
>[snip]
>
>Thank you for your helpful comments. I think this is now in pole
>position. It reviews well though one reviewer says it makes big mess
>every time you remove the container. Is this a big issue or just a
>question of practice?

Ground coffee is "sticky" and tends to cling to the container (in much the
same way that flour does). Any grinder tends to exacerbate that as the
grinding process generates static electricity which encourages the
stickiness. And the finer you grind it, the worse it is. Ask any
professional barista and they'll tell you that ground coffee gets
everywhere, it's just the way the stuff behaves.

There's no easy solution to that except to be careful, and wipe away any
spillage when it happens. I haven't found that it generates what I'd call a
big mess, but then maybe I'm not the sort of person who cares that much
about a bit of loose coffee on the kitchen worktop.

Mark

Re: TOT: grinding coffee

<3f12ehdelqhmg9a4v4um1kbm38ooeummc5@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35113&group=uk.railway#35113

From: use...@listmail.good-stuff.co.uk (Mark Goodge)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2022 12:13:16 +0100
 by: Mark Goodge - Wed, 27 Jul 2022 09:37 UTC

On Tue, 26 Jul 2022 15:21:49 -0000 (UTC), "David Jones"
<dajhawkxx@nowherel.com> wrote:

>Scott wrote:
>
>> Although OT, I'm sure this is a subject that has become familiar to
>> most members of the group over the years.
>>
>> My coffee grinder is on its way out and I am looking at replacement.
>> Prices range from £9 (Asda) to several hundred pounds. I know the
>> experts say that burr is better than blades and ability to set the
>> fine-ness is important to the brewing process. However, for an
>> average, inexpert, low-use coffee drinker looking for a palatable mug
>> of coffee, does it really make much difference? (You can always very
>> the time to adjust the fine-ness.)
>
>An alternative is to buy coffee from a traditional coffee shop, and get
>them to grind it for you, tailored to how you prepare your coffee.

Beans have a longer shelf life than ground coffee, so unless you drink a lot
of it it can be hard to keep an opened bag of pre-ground coffee fresh for
long enough.

Also, an advantage of grinding your own is that if you make coffee in
different ways (eg, a cafetiere for a single mug for yourself but a filter
jug when you've got friends round) then you can adjust the grind to the
brewing method.

Finally, grinding your own coffee is a more pleasurable aesthetic
experience. The smell of freshly ground coffee can't be replicated by
pre-ground. It's like the sizzle and smell of bacon in the frying pan; in
theory you don't need to experience that to enjoy consuming it but in
practice it does make it more pleasurable.

Mark

Re: TOT: grinding coffee

<tbr20h$2fuca$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35114&group=uk.railway#35114

From: non...@nowhere.net (Certes)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2022 12:13:16 +0100
 by: Certes - Wed, 27 Jul 2022 09:54 UTC

On 27/07/2022 09:44, Scott wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Jul 2022 09:26:31 +0100, Ken <ken@birchanger.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 26 Jul 2022 15:19:13 +0100, Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> In message <1ukvdhhlhj40ofi3qcvpag7lmuv4k33208@4ax.com>, at 12:48:10 on
>>> Tue, 26 Jul 2022, Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> remarked:

>>> If you are worried that much about the environmental impact of a tiny
>>> amount of coffee packaging (did anyone actually do an audit), then buy a
>>> can of instant that'll make a hundred cups. You can even get it "Costa"
>>> branded these days.
>>>
>>> The can is metal and recyclable, although I understand the national
>>> average for that [all materials] is 8% of what *could* be recycled, so
>>> blame your local council if they are guilty of contributing to the 92%
>>
>> And how much energy does constructing then recycling the pods use? And
>> surely it's a hugely expensive way to make coffee?
>>
>> Out of all of the unnecessarily wasteful things that a consumer can do
>> I've always considered coffee pods to be the just about the most
>> egregious. I find them absolutely unconscionable. I'll stick to my
>> AeroPress.

Pods can also be a DRM-laden rip-off. What next, bread pods?
<https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/01/unauthorized-bread-a-near-future-tale-of-refugees-and-sinister-iot-appliances/>

> Thank you. You have expressed it better than I could.

Exactly what I said to my (non-pod) coffee machine.

aus+uk / uk.railway / Re: TOT: grinding coffee