It occurred to me lately that nothing has occurred to me lately.

aus+uk / uk.railway / Re: TOT: grinding coffee

SubjectAuthor
* TOT: grinding coffeeScott
+* TOT: grinding coffeeColinR
|`* TOT: grinding coffeeScott
| +* TOT: grinding coffeeRoland Perry
| |+* TOT: grinding coffeeCharles Ellson
| ||`* TOT: grinding coffeeMB
| || +* TOT: grinding coffeeScott
| || `- TOT: grinding coffeeRoland Perry
| |+* TOT: grinding coffeeKen
| ||+* TOT: grinding coffeeScott
| ||+- TOT: grinding coffeeMB
| ||+* TOT: grinding coffeeRoland Perry
| ||`- TOT: grinding coffeeRupert Moss-Eccardt
| |`* TOT: grinding coffeeNY
| | `* TOT: grinding coffeeRoland Perry
| |  `* TOT: grinding coffeeMB
| |   `- TOT: grinding coffeeRoland Perry
| +* TOT: grinding coffeeRupert Moss-Eccardt
| |+* TOT: grinding coffeeScott
| ||`* TOT: grinding coffeeCharles Ellson
| || +- TOT: grinding coffeeScott
| || `* TOT: grinding coffeeRoger Lynn
| ||  `* TOT: grinding coffeeMB
| ||   `* TOT: grinding coffeeScott
| ||    +- TOT: grinding coffeeCertes
| ||    `- TOT: grinding coffeeCharles Ellson
| |`* TOT: grinding coffeeMB
| | +* TOT: grinding coffeeTweed
| | |`* TOT: grinding coffeeScott
| | | +* TOT: grinding coffeeMuttley
| | | `* TOT: grinding coffeeTweed
| | |  `* TOT: grinding coffeeMB
| | |   +- TOT: grinding coffeeScott
| | |   `* TOT: grinding coffeeAnna Noyd-Dryver
| | |    `* TOT: grinding coffeeRecliner
| | |     `* TOT: grinding coffeeMB
| | |      `* TOT: grinding coffeeAnna Noyd-Dryver
| | |       +- TOT: grinding coffeeSam Wilson
| | |       `- TOT: grinding coffeeRoger Lynn
| | `- TOT: grinding coffeeCharles Ellson
| `- TOT: grinding coffeeColinR
+* TOT: grinding coffeeClank
|`* TOT: grinding coffeehounslow3@yahoo.co.uk
| `* TOT: grinding coffeeNobody
|  `- TOT: grinding coffeehounslow3@yahoo.co.uk
+* TOT: grinding coffeeMark Goodge
|+* TOT: grinding coffeeD A Stocks
||`- TOT: grinding coffeeMark Goodge
|`* TOT: grinding coffeeScott
| +- TOT: grinding coffeeMark Goodge
| `- TOT: grinding coffeeGB
+* TOT: grinding coffeeDavid Jones
|+* TOT: grinding coffeeScott
||`* TOT: grinding coffeeMuttley
|| `* TOT: grinding coffeeCharles Ellson
||  `* TOT: grinding coffeeMuttley
||   `* TOT: grinding coffeeNY
||    +* TOT: grinding coffeeMuttley
||    |+* TOT: grinding coffeeClank
||    ||+* TOT: grinding coffeeNY
||    |||`- TOT: grinding coffeeMB
||    ||`- TOT: grinding coffeeNY
||    |`- TOT: grinding coffeehounslow3@yahoo.co.uk
||    `* TOT: grinding coffeeTweed
||     `* TOT: grinding coffeeMuttley
||      `- TOT: grinding coffeeNY
|`* TOT: grinding coffeeMark Goodge
| `- TOT: grinding coffeeMB
+* TOT: grinding coffeeJohn Levine
+- TOT: grinding coffeeEddie King
`* TOT: grinding coffeeAnthonyL

Pages:12345
Re: TOT: grinding coffee

<lt63eh59hl8agcop7uk0b1h6jdh6dldd2a@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35154&group=uk.railway#35154

From: charlese...@btinternet.com (Charles Ellson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: TOT: grinding coffee
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 21:16:14 +0100
 by: Charles Ellson - Wed, 27 Jul 2022 20:16 UTC

On Wed, 27 Jul 2022 20:22:38 +0100, MB <MB@nospam.net> wrote:

>On 27/07/2022 18:10, Rupert Moss-Eccardt wrote:
>> A lot of the capsule companies now offer recycling of one sort or
>> another.
>
>A lot of the time "recycling" seems just PR. There is a feature on the
>BBC News pages about recycled clothing that is sent to Africa to be
>re-used but most if just dumped in the sea.

There is plenty of history of people being sent things that somebody
thinks they need rather rather than asking them what they need.

Re: TOT: grinding coffee

<tbs72v$2kb1p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35156&group=uk.railway#35156

From: me...@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 21:26:49 +0100
 by: NY - Wed, 27 Jul 2022 20:26 UTC

"Charles Ellson" <charlesellson@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>>> My grinder is a Zassenhaus manual burr grinder. Works great, time to
>>> grind the coffee by hand is less than the time to boil the water to
>>> pour over it.
>>
>>You BOIL the water!?
>>
> That gives you a fairly fixed starting point from which you can either
> pour it immediately or let it cool while you e.g. assemble the
> ingredients, listen to a record, hum a tune or just count up to
> <insert number>.

What is the typical temperature that filter coffee machines use? Those where
you fill a tank with cold water and it is then heated as it is fed along the
tube to drip on a filter paper of coffee grounds (either bought pre-ground
or else bought as beans which the machine grinds just before use).

I understand that the "best" temperature is about 70 deg C as a compromise
between dissolving all the required components of the coffee, and yet not
denaturing some of them with excessive heat which can add unwanted flavours.
70 deg C is a fair amount below boiling, so heating to (nominally) 100 and
then waiting is going to involve a fair old wait ;-)

It's very interesting how the flavour of the coffee differs between
pre-ground and ground-on-demand-from-beans for the same coffee (eg Taylor's
Lazy Sunday) made in the same filter machine. I've no idea how the
coarseness of grinding compares in the two cases - that may well be an
issue.

Re: TOT: grinding coffee

<tbsc9c$fme$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35158&group=uk.railway#35158

From: hounsl...@yahoo.co.uk (hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 22:55:56 +0100
 by: hounslow3@yahoo.co.u - Wed, 27 Jul 2022 21:55 UTC

On 27/07/2022 18:24, Charles Ellson wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Jul 2022 09:44:08 +0100, Scott
> <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Metal cans must be the easiest item to identify automatically and move
>>> to the appropriate section.
>>
>> Especially steel. Is this not done using an electromagnet?
>>
> Often shown in the form of a conveyor belt _above_ the main belt, the
> ferrous cans then being lifted up and dropped off away from the main
> conveyor when they are past the electromagnets. There can also be
> sorting using AC for both ferrous and non-ferrous and DC
> electromagnets for ferrous materials.

I can't remember, is it aluminium that has the magnetic properties or
the tinplate?

Re: TOT: grinding coffee

<tbsgkb$2le5a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35159&group=uk.railway#35159

From: non...@nowhere.net (Certes)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2022 00:10:02 +0100
 by: Certes - Wed, 27 Jul 2022 23:10 UTC

On 27/07/2022 22:55, hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
> On 27/07/2022 18:24, Charles Ellson wrote:
>> On Wed, 27 Jul 2022 09:44:08 +0100, Scott
>> <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Especially steel.  Is this not done using an electromagnet?
>>>
>> Often shown in the form of a conveyor belt _above_ the main belt, the
>> ferrous cans then being lifted up and dropped off away from the main
>> conveyor when they are past the electromagnets. There can also be
>> sorting using AC for both ferrous and non-ferrous and DC
>> electromagnets for ferrous materials.
>
> I can't remember, is it aluminium that has the magnetic properties or
> the tinplate?

Non-ferrous metals can certainly disturb magnetic fields; there's a
whole gold-prospecting industry based on the phenomenon. Tinplate
usually appears on steel, which is as magnetic as common metals get.

Re: TOT: grinding coffee

<qsj3ehdijl1o8bge7tejdolens9vrsof2k@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35160&group=uk.railway#35160

From: charlese...@btinternet.com (Charles Ellson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2022 00:58:09 +0100
 by: Charles Ellson - Wed, 27 Jul 2022 23:58 UTC

On Thu, 28 Jul 2022 00:10:02 +0100, Certes <none@nowhere.net> wrote:

>On 27/07/2022 22:55, hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
>> On 27/07/2022 18:24, Charles Ellson wrote:

>>> Often shown in the form of a conveyor belt _above_ the main belt, the
>>> ferrous cans then being lifted up and dropped off away from the main
>>> conveyor when they are past the electromagnets. There can also be
>>> sorting using AC for both ferrous and non-ferrous and DC
>>> electromagnets for ferrous materials.
>>
>> I can't remember, is it aluminium that has the magnetic properties or
>> the tinplate?
>
>Non-ferrous metals can certainly disturb magnetic fields; there's a
>whole gold-prospecting industry based on the phenomenon. Tinplate
>usually appears on steel, which is as magnetic as common metals get.

Magnetism is induced into non-ferrous materials with a rapidly varying
magnetic field which causes eddy currents in the non-ferrous material
which in turn produce a magnetic field in that material :-
https://www.recyclingtoday.com/article/magnetic-equipment-guide----eddy-current-separators/

Think of a generator whose non-ferrous (usually but not always copper)
winding has been reduced down to half a coil. There is still a current
produced even though there is no coil.

Re: TOT: grinding coffee

<tbtfeg$17bk$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35164&group=uk.railway#35164

From: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2022 07:56:00 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com - Thu, 28 Jul 2022 07:56 UTC

On Wed, 27 Jul 2022 18:50:00 +0100
Charles Ellson <charlesellson@btinternet.com> wrote:
>On Wed, 27 Jul 2022 07:54:12 -0000 (UTC), Muttley@dastardlyhq.com
>wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 26 Jul 2022 17:47:03 +0100
>>Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

>>>This is true, but I believe it reduces the shelf life and freshness.
>>
>>Ground coffee smells like old cigarette butts to me. Instant coffee smells
>and
>>tastes far nicer presumably because they remove the burnt odors and bitter
>>taste.
>>
>It often tastes like soil to me but different types vary. I suspect
>that (similar to e.g. cigarettes) some people get a stronger "hit"
>from particular coffee ingredients than others which overrides what
>otherwise can seem to be a bad general taste.

True. Certainly my wife and I smell the world in a completely different way
because she can smell things I can't and vice verca (unfortunately she's
completely smell blind to off milk whereas to me most flowers smell of almost
nothing). I suspect smell varies between people far more than the other senses.

Re: TOT: grinding coffee

<tbtgni$2upo9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35168&group=uk.railway#35168

From: me...@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2022 09:17:39 +0100
 by: NY - Thu, 28 Jul 2022 08:17 UTC

<Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote in message
>>It often tastes like soil to me but different types vary. I suspect
>>that (similar to e.g. cigarettes) some people get a stronger "hit"
>>from particular coffee ingredients than others which overrides what
>>otherwise can seem to be a bad general taste.
>
> True. Certainly my wife and I smell the world in a completely different
> way
> because she can smell things I can't and vice verca (unfortunately she's
> completely smell blind to off milk whereas to me most flowers smell of
> almost
> nothing). I suspect smell varies between people far more than the other
> senses.

Certainly taste varies from person to person. Apparently just before
Christmas a few years ago, a company did a study about the dreaded subject
of SPROUTS. That's a genetic "you've either got it or you haven't got it"
thing: some people love the taste of sprouts, whereas other people think
they are vile.

Unfortunately I am very much in the latter camp, and in my case, it's all
green vegetables that I hate. Most are nowhere near as bad as sprouts, but
they are very definitely not a flavour or a texture that goes well with a
meal. My wife teases me that I eat my veg at the beginning of the meal to
get it over with so I can enjoy the more subtle flavours without the veg
overpowering and ruining everything.

I like raw carrots, raw celery or raw peas as a "nibble" snack between
meals, but not as an accompaniment to a meal. Cooked celery is probably the
least objectionable of cooked veg. Sadly celery is the only vegetable that
my wife hates "almost as much as sprouts" so we never have it. She loves to
chomp on a huge mound of barely-cooked crunchy broccoli, beans, cauliflower
etc with a meal, whereas I look at my plate and I think "that's a hell of a
lot of veg to get through before I can start to enjoy everything else". To
use a sound analogy, I can clearly hear and appreciate birdsong or beautiful
music (meat and veg), but it is still drowned out and ruined by a pneumatic
drill (veg).

I'm probably very odd ;-)

The sense of taste can change over the years. I had a heart attack and
cardiac arrest 11 years ago, and it is after that when I started to find veg
more repulsive than previously when I'd only mildly disliked most veg. Maybe
at the same time, I started not tasting meat, potatoes and herbs as strongly
so they are now more easily drowned out.

Re: TOT: grinding coffee

<oai4ehh7uq2gs65nt0qu9h162pkuhf0lm9@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35170&group=uk.railway#35170

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2022 09:32:13 +0100
 by: Scott - Thu, 28 Jul 2022 08:32 UTC

On Wed, 27 Jul 2022 19:34:37 +0100, Charles Ellson
<charlesellson@btinternet.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 27 Jul 2022 18:14:03 +0100, Scott
><newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 27 Jul 2022 18:10:12 +0100, Rupert Moss-Eccardt
>><nin@moss-eccardt.com> wrote:

>>>buy a

>>>A lot of the capsule companies now offer recycling of one sort or
>>>another.
>>
>>Recycling involves transport, processing, remanufacturing then
>>transport again - all requiring use of energy - a distinct lack of
>>congruence with the household environmental policies.
>>
>Recycling aluminium still involves far less energy than getting it
>from raw bauxite. 5% it says here:-
>https://alupro.org.uk/industry/local-authorities/environmental-benefits/#:~:text=Recycling%20aluminium%20uses%2095%25%20less,from%20which%20aluminium%20is%20made.
>[https://tinyurl.com/d23f8wdn]
>There is also far less waste.

I don't deny that. All I am saying is if you don't need the item in
the first place, the energy saved is even greater.

Re: TOT: grinding coffee

<8di4ehhafs05ouqg6d4dsrefv6dfl0fuvo@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35171&group=uk.railway#35171

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2022 09:34:44 +0100
 by: Scott - Thu, 28 Jul 2022 08:34 UTC

On Wed, 27 Jul 2022 19:52:18 -0000 (UTC), Tweed
<usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:

>MB <MB@nospam.net> wrote:
>> On 27/07/2022 18:10, Rupert Moss-Eccardt wrote:
>>> A lot of the capsule companies now offer recycling of one sort or
>>> another.
>>
>> A lot of the time "recycling" seems just PR. There is a feature on the
>> BBC News pages about recycled clothing that is sent to Africa to be
>> re-used but most if just dumped in the sea.
>
>And very few plastics get continuously recycled. The ones that are reused
>mostly only get one more use before being dumped or burnt.

How do they know whether a plastic item contains recycled plastic? It
would be impossible to distinguish between first, second and
subsequent use surely? Also, I thought some were made with a
proportion of recycled content.

Re: TOT: grinding coffee

<tbtic4$f56$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35173&group=uk.railway#35173

From: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2022 08:45:56 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com - Thu, 28 Jul 2022 08:45 UTC

On Thu, 28 Jul 2022 09:17:39 +0100
"NY" <me@privacy.invalid> wrote:
>meals, but not as an accompaniment to a meal. Cooked celery is probably the
>least objectionable of cooked veg. Sadly celery is the only vegetable that
>my wife hates "almost as much as sprouts" so we never have it. She loves to

I'm with your wife on this. Celery has an utterly foul taste for me whereas
I like most other veggies, even sprouts so long as their well boiled.

>I'm probably very odd ;-)

Doubt it. I had a friend at uni who would never knowingly eat a vegetable.
Didn't do his health much good in the long run though tbh.

Re: TOT: grinding coffee

<tbtihu$2v87f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35174&group=uk.railway#35174

From: usenet.t...@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2022 08:49:02 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:AuWI1q4P2bCPhmP7ekFSmx1ulnE=
 by: Tweed - Thu, 28 Jul 2022 08:49 UTC

NY <me@privacy.invalid> wrote:
> <Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote in message
>>> It often tastes like soil to me but different types vary. I suspect
>>> that (similar to e.g. cigarettes) some people get a stronger "hit"
>>> from particular coffee ingredients than others which overrides what
>>> otherwise can seem to be a bad general taste.
>>
>> True. Certainly my wife and I smell the world in a completely different
>> way
>> because she can smell things I can't and vice verca (unfortunately she's
>> completely smell blind to off milk whereas to me most flowers smell of
>> almost
>> nothing). I suspect smell varies between people far more than the other
>> senses.
>
> Certainly taste varies from person to person. Apparently just before
> Christmas a few years ago, a company did a study about the dreaded subject
> of SPROUTS. That's a genetic "you've either got it or you haven't got it"
> thing: some people love the taste of sprouts, whereas other people think
> they are vile.
>
> Unfortunately I am very much in the latter camp, and in my case, it's all
> green vegetables that I hate. Most are nowhere near as bad as sprouts, but
> they are very definitely not a flavour or a texture that goes well with a
> meal. My wife teases me that I eat my veg at the beginning of the meal to
> get it over with so I can enjoy the more subtle flavours without the veg
> overpowering and ruining everything.
>
> I like raw carrots, raw celery or raw peas as a "nibble" snack between
> meals, but not as an accompaniment to a meal. Cooked celery is probably the
> least objectionable of cooked veg. Sadly celery is the only vegetable that
> my wife hates "almost as much as sprouts" so we never have it. She loves to
> chomp on a huge mound of barely-cooked crunchy broccoli, beans, cauliflower
> etc with a meal, whereas I look at my plate and I think "that's a hell of a
> lot of veg to get through before I can start to enjoy everything else". To
> use a sound analogy, I can clearly hear and appreciate birdsong or beautiful
> music (meat and veg), but it is still drowned out and ruined by a pneumatic
> drill (veg).
>
> I'm probably very odd ;-)
>
> The sense of taste can change over the years. I had a heart attack and
> cardiac arrest 11 years ago, and it is after that when I started to find veg
> more repulsive than previously when I'd only mildly disliked most veg. Maybe
> at the same time, I started not tasting meat, potatoes and herbs as strongly
> so they are now more easily drowned out.

I’m in the same camp as you but not so badly afflicted. I can’t eat
anything in the brassica family if cooked. I can eat raw cabbage quite
happily. My sense of smell is also affected. Can’t smell much that is nice,
eg perfumes, unless very strong. However I’m very sensitive to nasty
odours. I can detect a gas leak well before anyone else can.

Re: TOT: grinding coffee

<tbtiig$i42$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35175&group=uk.railway#35175

From: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2022 08:49:20 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com - Thu, 28 Jul 2022 08:49 UTC

On Thu, 28 Jul 2022 09:34:44 +0100
Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
>On Wed, 27 Jul 2022 19:52:18 -0000 (UTC), Tweed
><usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>MB <MB@nospam.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> A lot of the time "recycling" seems just PR. There is a feature on the
>>> BBC News pages about recycled clothing that is sent to Africa to be
>>> re-used but most if just dumped in the sea.
>>
>>And very few plastics get continuously recycled. The ones that are reused
>>mostly only get one more use before being dumped or burnt.
>
>How do they know whether a plastic item contains recycled plastic? It
>would be impossible to distinguish between first, second and
>subsequent use surely? Also, I thought some were made with a
>proportion of recycled content.

Recycling plastic is a complete waste of time IMO as even transporting it
halfway around the world (where its often dumped) uses huge amounts of
fuel. Plastic has plenty of energy and should be burnt to generate electricity
with a commesurate amount of gas/coal/oil not burnt in response. Sadly the
minute someone mentions incinerator the nimbies are out in force. Should just
call them a recycling power station or something.

Re: TOT: grinding coffee

<tbtin8$jv5$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35176&group=uk.railway#35176

From: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2022 08:51:52 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com - Thu, 28 Jul 2022 08:51 UTC

On Thu, 28 Jul 2022 08:49:02 -0000 (UTC)
Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:
>NY <me@privacy.invalid> wrote:
>> The sense of taste can change over the years. I had a heart attack and
>> cardiac arrest 11 years ago, and it is after that when I started to find veg
>
>> more repulsive than previously when I'd only mildly disliked most veg. Maybe
>
>> at the same time, I started not tasting meat, potatoes and herbs as strongly
>
>> so they are now more easily drowned out.
>>

>I’m in the same camp as you but not so badly afflicted. I can’t eat
>anything in the brassica family if cooked. I can eat raw cabbage quite

If you cook them properly and long enough (which a lot of people don't IME)
the smelly compounds should end up in the water leaving a mild tasting
vegetable behind.

>happily. My sense of smell is also affected. Can’t smell much that is nice,
>eg perfumes, unless very strong. However I’m very sensitive to nasty
>odours. I can detect a gas leak well before anyone else can.

Ditto.

Re: TOT: grinding coffee

<tbtiql$2v9h3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35177&group=uk.railway#35177

From: usenet.t...@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2022 08:53:41 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:5UnwoT9kGE5z+2w743sd8+2vPl0=
 by: Tweed - Thu, 28 Jul 2022 08:53 UTC

Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Jul 2022 19:52:18 -0000 (UTC), Tweed
> <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> MB <MB@nospam.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> A lot of the time "recycling" seems just PR. There is a feature on the
>>> BBC News pages about recycled clothing that is sent to Africa to be
>>> re-used but most if just dumped in the sea.
>>
>> And very few plastics get continuously recycled. The ones that are reused
>> mostly only get one more use before being dumped or burnt.
>
> How do they know whether a plastic item contains recycled plastic? It
> would be impossible to distinguish between first, second and
> subsequent use surely? Also, I thought some were made with a
> proportion of recycled content.

Most recycled plastics go into things like road cones, fleece insulating
materials, even mixed in with road surface materials. Very few of these go
back into the recycling system at the end of their life. It just kicks the
can down the road a bit. And as we’ve seen, huge amounts of allegedly
recycled plastics get stuffed in containers, exported, and dumped in the
third world.

Re: TOT: grinding coffee

<tbtjbs$2vbma$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35178&group=uk.railway#35178

From: clan...@googlemail.com (Clank)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2022 09:02:52 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Clank - Thu, 28 Jul 2022 09:02 UTC

On 28 Jul 2022 at 11:45:56 AM EEST, "<Muttley@dastardlyhq.com>"
<Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Jul 2022 09:17:39 +0100
> "NY" <me@privacy.invalid> wrote:
>> meals, but not as an accompaniment to a meal. Cooked celery is probably the
>> least objectionable of cooked veg. Sadly celery is the only vegetable that
>> my wife hates "almost as much as sprouts" so we never have it. She loves to
>
> I'm with your wife on this. Celery has an utterly foul taste for me whereas
> I like most other veggies, even sprouts so long as their well boiled.

I feel like this is a moment of agreement that deserves some celebration -
absolutely wretched stuff celery, I cannot abide it.

Whereas sprouts are actually one of my favourite.

>> I'm probably very odd ;-)
>
> Doubt it. I had a friend at uni who would never knowingly eat a vegetable.

I'm fairly relaxed when it comes to vegetables, although other than celery I
also hate all varieties of marrows (courgettes etc.)

But mushrooms, urhg, there is no form of mushroom that I don't hate.
Particularly because once you cook something with mushrooms, it infects
absolutely everything else on the plate.

Re: TOT: grinding coffee

<tbtkgu$2vl50$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35180&group=uk.railway#35180

From: MB...@nospam.net (MB)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2022 10:22:36 +0100
 by: MB - Thu, 28 Jul 2022 09:22 UTC

On 28/07/2022 09:49, Muttley@dastardlyhq.com wrote:
> Recycling plastic is a complete waste of time IMO as even transporting it
> halfway around the world (where its often dumped) uses huge amounts of
> fuel. Plastic has plenty of energy and should be burnt to generate electricity
> with a commesurate amount of gas/coal/oil not burnt in response. Sadly the
> minute someone mentions incinerator the nimbies are out in force. Should just
> call them a recycling power station or something.

I read an article years ago about how the UK had the best record for
recycling old engine oil, there are (or were) a couple of companies who
went around collecting from garages.

Some was burnt in cement manufacturing. The EU decided it was
"industrial waste" and must be incinerated at some high temperature.
The only company making the correct incinerators was German and purely
coincidentall the relevant EU Commissioner was German.

The old oil was alsu used to make paving slabs by mixing with ground up
stone. Same happened, industrial waste so had to be incinerated.

Re: TOT: grinding coffee

<tbtkkm$2vl50$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35181&group=uk.railway#35181

From: MB...@nospam.net (MB)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2022 10:24:37 +0100
 by: MB - Thu, 28 Jul 2022 09:24 UTC

On 28/07/2022 09:53, Tweed wrote:
> Most recycled plastics go into things like road cones, fleece insulating
> materials, even mixed in with road surface materials. Very few of these go
> back into the recycling system at the end of their life. It just kicks the
> can down the road a bit. And as we’ve seen, huge amounts of allegedly
> recycled plastics get stuffed in containers, exported, and dumped in the
> third world.

I have never understood why using the waste to fill holes in the ground
is not also classed as recycling. You have a hole, fill it and then use
the land for something else - isn't that "recycling"?

Re: TOT: grinding coffee

<tbtkve$2vp8b$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35182&group=uk.railway#35182

From: ann...@noyd-dryver.com (Anna Noyd-Dryver)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2022 09:30:22 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:WbDikWrIWqMximk1/9yt67CrmXU=
 by: Anna Noyd-Dryver - Thu, 28 Jul 2022 09:30 UTC

<Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Jul 2022 09:34:44 +0100
> Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
>> On Wed, 27 Jul 2022 19:52:18 -0000 (UTC), Tweed
>> <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> And very few plastics get continuously recycled. The ones that are reused
>>> mostly only get one more use before being dumped or burnt.
>>
>> How do they know whether a plastic item contains recycled plastic? It
>> would be impossible to distinguish between first, second and
>> subsequent use surely? Also, I thought some were made with a
>> proportion of recycled content.
>
> Recycling plastic is a complete waste of time IMO as even transporting it
> halfway around the world (where its often dumped) uses huge amounts of
> fuel. Plastic has plenty of energy and should be burnt to generate electricity
> with a commesurate amount of gas/coal/oil not burnt in response. Sadly the
> minute someone mentions incinerator the nimbies are out in force. Should just
> call them a recycling power station or something.

Provided emissions from the incinerator are properly managed (not a problem
with modern technology AIUI), that's a great solution.

A train full of London's waste trundles right past my house every day to be
burned alongside our local waste in the power station just over the hill
from here.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Re: TOT: grinding coffee

<tbtl5c$2vr4k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35183&group=uk.railway#35183

From: me...@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2022 10:33:06 +0100
 by: NY - Thu, 28 Jul 2022 09:33 UTC

"Clank" <clank75@googlemail.com> wrote in message
> On 28 Jul 2022 at 11:45:56 AM EEST, "<Muttley@dastardlyhq.com>"
> <Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 28 Jul 2022 09:17:39 +0100
>> "NY" <me@privacy.invalid> wrote:
>>> meals, but not as an accompaniment to a meal. Cooked celery is probably
>>> the
>>> least objectionable of cooked veg. Sadly celery is the only vegetable
>>> that
>>> my wife hates "almost as much as sprouts" so we never have it. She loves
>>
>> I'm with your wife on this. Celery has an utterly foul taste for me
>> whereas
>> I like most other veggies, even sprouts so long as their well boiled.
>
> I feel like this is a moment of agreement that deserves some celebration -
> absolutely wretched stuff celery, I cannot abide it.
>
> Whereas sprouts are actually one of my favourite.
>
>>> I'm probably very odd ;-)
>>
>> Doubt it. I had a friend at uni who would never knowingly eat a
>> vegetable.
>
> I'm fairly relaxed when it comes to vegetables, although other than celery
> also hate all varieties of marrows (courgettes etc.)
>
> But mushrooms, urhg, there is no form of mushroom that I don't hate.
> Particularly because once you cook something with mushrooms, it infects
> absolutely everything else on the plate.

It's interesting how people's tastes differ. Stalk/seed-pod vegetables
(broccoli, peas, beans, cauliflower, sprouts) are the things I tend to
dislike (apart from celery - there's always an exception) whereas root veg
(carrots, parsnips) are the ones I like. Mushrooms are lovely, either in a
casserole or lightly fried. Roasted veg (peppers, carrots, honey-roasted
parsnips) tend to be nicer than boiled/steamed - it tends to add a nicer
flavour while killing off some of the original components of the bitter
"green veg" flavour that I don't like. I wonder if the root (sorry about the
pun) cause is that I don't like chlorophyll...

It wasn't until I met my wife that I learned that celery was such a Marmite
veg (love it or loathe it), in the way that sprouts are.

Apparently boiling sprouts in with carrots tends to kill off some of the
"green" flavour of the sprouts by adding the sweetness of the carrots. It is
a standing joke that my wife cooks both of us a "token sprout" (literally
one each!) this way to be served with Christmas dinner.

I eat veg because it good for me, not because it is even slightly enjoyable.
But I'm odd!

I'm also odd in that my taste/appetite doesn't change according to the
season: I still want a full cooked meal rather than a salad (ugh: cold meat
(shudder), crunchy lettuce) on a hot day, just as on any other day. Yes,
it's confirmed: I really *am* odd.

Re: TOT: grinding coffee

<tbtlc6$2vt6f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35184&group=uk.railway#35184

From: me...@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2022 10:36:32 +0100
 by: NY - Thu, 28 Jul 2022 09:36 UTC

>>I’m in the same camp as you but not so badly afflicted. I can’t eat
>>anything in the brassica family if cooked. I can eat raw cabbage quite
>
> If you cook them properly and long enough (which a lot of people don't
> IME)
> the smelly compounds should end up in the water leaving a mild tasting
> vegetable behind.

My wife then uses the veg water (containing "all the goodness") to make into
gravy - which in her case means add a few granules of Bisto and serve as
coloured water.

Re: TOT: grinding coffee

<r0n4ehd892gqou9bkea1himilh01aumuqv@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35185&group=uk.railway#35185

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2022 10:52:01 +0100
 by: Scott - Thu, 28 Jul 2022 09:52 UTC

On Thu, 28 Jul 2022 10:24:37 +0100, MB <MB@nospam.net> wrote:

>On 28/07/2022 09:53, Tweed wrote:
>> Most recycled plastics go into things like road cones, fleece insulating
>> materials, even mixed in with road surface materials. Very few of these go
>> back into the recycling system at the end of their life. It just kicks the
>> can down the road a bit. And as we’ve seen, huge amounts of allegedly
>> recycled plastics get stuffed in containers, exported, and dumped in the
>> third world.
>
>I have never understood why using the waste to fill holes in the ground
>is not also classed as recycling. You have a hole, fill it and then use
>the land for something else - isn't that "recycling"?

I thought it was. I thought a lot of recycled glass was crushed and
used to make anti-slip road surfaces.

Re: TOT: grinding coffee

<tbtn8d$30bm8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35186&group=uk.railway#35186

From: me...@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2022 11:09:04 +0100
 by: NY - Thu, 28 Jul 2022 10:09 UTC

"Clank" <clank75@googlemail.com> wrote in message
> On 28 Jul 2022 at 11:45:56 AM EEST, "<Muttley@dastardlyhq.com>"
> <Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 28 Jul 2022 09:17:39 +0100
>> "NY" <me@privacy.invalid> wrote:
>>> meals, but not as an accompaniment to a meal. Cooked celery is probably
>>> the
>>> least objectionable of cooked veg. Sadly celery is the only vegetable
>>> that
>>> my wife hates "almost as much as sprouts" so we never have it. She loves
>>
>> I'm with your wife on this. Celery has an utterly foul taste for me
>> whereas
>> I like most other veggies, even sprouts so long as their well boiled.
>
> I feel like this is a moment of agreement that deserves some celebration -
> absolutely wretched stuff celery, I cannot abide it.
>
> Whereas sprouts are actually one of my favourite.

The subject of differences in people's senses of taste and smell brings me
to another point. One which invokes Rule Number 1 of Usenet: any topic
discussed on Usenet eventually descends to bodily functions...

The little matter of "asparagus wee". I can detect a very strong and
characteristic pong in my urine after I've eaten asparagus. Some people can,
some people can't. I can, my wife can't.

Since none of us make a habit of going around sniffing each other's wee,
there are three possibilities:

- everyone excretes the substance but only some people can smell it

- only some people excrete it but everyone can smell it

- only some people excrete it and only those same people can smell it

I've sometimes thought that in the interests of research, we should each
leave the loo unflushed and see if we can detect the aroma in the air from
each other's wee.

Re: TOT: grinding coffee

<tbtnd8$30d7m$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35188&group=uk.railway#35188

From: ann...@noyd-dryver.com (Anna Noyd-Dryver)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2022 10:11:52 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:lfYV89Ou/jQtoQ9k5dlR0MtPLfM=
 by: Anna Noyd-Dryver - Thu, 28 Jul 2022 10:11 UTC

MB <MB@nospam.net> wrote:
> On 28/07/2022 09:53, Tweed wrote:
>> Most recycled plastics go into things like road cones, fleece insulating
>> materials, even mixed in with road surface materials. Very few of these go
>> back into the recycling system at the end of their life. It just kicks the
>> can down the road a bit. And as we’ve seen, huge amounts of allegedly
>> recycled plastics get stuffed in containers, exported, and dumped in the
>> third world.
>
> I have never understood why using the waste to fill holes in the ground
> is not also classed as recycling. You have a hole, fill it and then use
> the land for something else - isn't that "recycling"?

Is the land on top of landfill sites generally actually used for 'something
else' afterwards? AFAICT it remains just a full and covered landfill site -
fenced off from the public, so not usable 'countryside'; not built on, not
used for grazing or growing, not used for leisure activities.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Re: TOT: grinding coffee

<cro4ehh7uuo9jogdto2iodc8cr0in8sfko@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35189&group=uk.railway#35189

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2022 11:24:11 +0100
 by: Recliner - Thu, 28 Jul 2022 10:24 UTC

On Thu, 28 Jul 2022 10:11:52 -0000 (UTC), Anna Noyd-Dryver <anna@noyd-dryver.com> wrote:

>MB <MB@nospam.net> wrote:
>> On 28/07/2022 09:53, Tweed wrote:
>>> Most recycled plastics go into things like road cones, fleece insulating
>>> materials, even mixed in with road surface materials. Very few of these go
>>> back into the recycling system at the end of their life. It just kicks the
>>> can down the road a bit. And as we’ve seen, huge amounts of allegedly
>>> recycled plastics get stuffed in containers, exported, and dumped in the
>>> third world.
>>
>> I have never understood why using the waste to fill holes in the ground
>> is not also classed as recycling. You have a hole, fill it and then use
>> the land for something else - isn't that "recycling"?
>>

>Is the land on top of landfill sites generally actually used for 'something
>else' afterwards? AFAICT it remains just a full and covered landfill site -
>fenced off from the public, so not usable 'countryside'; not built on, not
>used for grazing or growing, not used for leisure activities.

I thought that, after it had been allowed to settle and stabilise for a few years, the land could be used again. For
example, you hear of new housing estates that turn out to have methane coming up from the old landfill beneath them.

Re: TOT: grinding coffee

<tbtod5$30ks1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35190&group=uk.railway#35190

From: non...@nowhere.net (Certes)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2022 11:28:53 +0100
 by: Certes - Thu, 28 Jul 2022 10:28 UTC

On 28/07/2022 10:22, MB wrote:
> On 28/07/2022 09:49, Muttley@dastardlyhq.com wrote:
>> Recycling plastic is a complete waste of time IMO as even transporting it
>> halfway around the world (where its often dumped) uses huge amounts of
>> fuel. Plastic has plenty of energy and should be burnt to generate
>> electricity
>> with a commesurate amount of gas/coal/oil not burnt in response. Sadly
>> the
>> minute someone mentions incinerator the nimbies are out in force.
>> Should just
>> call them a recycling power station or something.
>
> I read an article years ago about how the UK had the best record for
> recycling old engine oil, there are (or were) a couple of companies who
> went around collecting from garages.
>
> Some was burnt in cement manufacturing. The EU decided it was
> "industrial waste" and must be incinerated at some high temperature. The
> only company making the correct incinerators was German and purely
> coincidentall the relevant EU Commissioner was German.
>
> The old oil was alsu used to make paving slabs by mixing with ground up
> stone.  Same happened, industrial waste so had to be incinerated.

We can now use the oil to fuel a bonfire of such legislation.

aus+uk / uk.railway / Re: TOT: grinding coffee