Moebius strippers never show you their back side.

aus+uk / uk.railway / Re: Fort William Station

SubjectAuthor
* Fort William StationMB
`* Fort William StationRecliner
 `* Fort William StationJohn Armstrong
  `* Fort William StationMB
   +* Fort William StationRecliner
   |+* Fort William StationRoland Perry
   ||`* Fort William StationRecliner
   || `* Fort William StationRoland Perry
   ||  `* Fort William StationRecliner
   ||   +- Fort William StationGraeme Wall
   ||   `* Fort William StationRoland Perry
   ||    `* Fort William StationRecliner
   ||     `* Fort William StationRoland Perry
   ||      +* Fort William StationTweed
   ||      |+* Fort William StationRecliner
   ||      ||+- Fort William StationTweed
   ||      ||+* Fort William StationMarland
   ||      |||`* Fort William StationRecliner
   ||      ||| `- Fort William StationRoland Perry
   ||      ||`* Fort William StationRoland Perry
   ||      || `- Fort William StationBob
   ||      |`* Fort William StationRoland Perry
   ||      | `* Fort William StationTweed
   ||      |  `* Fort William StationSam Wilson
   ||      |   `* Fort William StationTweed
   ||      |    `- Fort William StationSam Wilson
   ||      `* Fort William StationRecliner
   ||       `- Fort William StationRoland Perry
   |`- Fort William StationMB
   +* Fort William StationRoland Perry
   |`* Fort William StationMB
   | +- Fort William StationRecliner
   | `- Fort William StationGraeme Wall
   `* Fort William StationColinR
    `- Fort William StationMB

Pages:12
Re: Fort William Station

<td0hor$1s9g5$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36333&group=uk.railway#36333

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: Fort William Station
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2022 15:10:19 -0000 (UTC)
<lln4fhd10godkiosnu0stpbh1oiv3vl0b8@4ax.com>
<l148bEmD9o8iFAEW@perry.uk>
<tcu6k6$1evfl$1@dont-email.me>
<tcud1j$1fjvp$2@dont-email.me>
<jlhud0Fu1l1U1@mid.individual.net>
sha1:uyf8GwGgqCBQf/H94oNgVqC3l84=
 by: Recliner - Wed, 10 Aug 2022 15:10 UTC

Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> wrote:
> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Roland could have cited a much more relevant exception: people too poor to
>> afford to subscribe to on-line newspapers, but who still like to pretend to
>> be well-informed.
>>

> Actually you raise an interesting point there, when printed editions were
> the main way for people to get news those who were too poor to regularly
> purchase a paper could usually find a discarded one
> lying about somewhere and while not as up to date as those who read them
> at breakfast could follow events before they ceased to have relevance.
> You cannot find second-hand online papers left on the seat of a bus or in a
> bin and if energy prices do reach the high costs predicted then what were
> insignificant costs to run things like routers and devices will become
> significant for some. All those things that were once a £5 or £6 pounds a
> year to run will be costing £20 something and four or five gadgets over a
> year at that rate will start to look like real money, some may struggle to
> stay online which nowadays if you are not can make life awkward.

I think, at current prices, a wifi router costs about £20-30 pa to run. You
could obviously cut that cost by turning it off overnight, or when out.
Most other electronic devices on standby use much less.

Re: Fort William Station

<pX8fTdHWnS9iFAvW@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36430&group=uk.railway#36430

From: rol...@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2022 17:09:58 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Thu, 11 Aug 2022 16:09 UTC

In message <tcu6k6$1evfl$1@dont-email.me>, at 17:47:50 on Tue, 9 Aug
2022, Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> remarked:
>Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
>> In message <lln4fhd10godkiosnu0stpbh1oiv3vl0b8@4ax.com>, at 14:21:55 on

>>> If they board at the vast majority of EL stations, the train will be
>>> above ground, with both mobile data and WiFi
>>> Internet available. And they can always download stuff before going
>>> underground.
>>>
>>> But, yes, Roland, we all know that there are places where the Internet
>>> is not available. You don't need to try and demonstrate your unique
>>> variant of 'cleverness' in reminding us of that.
>>
>> But neither do you need to indulge in your unique variant of bragging
>> about "wherever I am in the World".
>
>That’s not bragging. In ye olde dayes you counted yourself lucky if
>yesterday’s papers were available at a very high price whilst abroad. Now I
>can be on holiday anywhere (almost anywhere for Roland) and can download my
>papers. It’s a valid point to make.

The bragging is about the number of expensive holidays he indulges in
and keeps telling us about (even when they aren't relevant).

>Whereas nitpicking about the lack of availability of Internet on the EL
>adds nothing to the conversation and is just your edge case detector being
>overly sensitive again.

That's just me pulling his leg because he thinks specifically the EL can
do no wrong.
--
Roland Perry

Re: Fort William Station

<uXOez1HeqS9iFAOo@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36431&group=uk.railway#36431

From: rol...@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2022 17:13:18 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Thu, 11 Aug 2022 16:13 UTC

In message <tcud1j$1fjvp$2@dont-email.me>, at 19:37:23 on Tue, 9 Aug
2022, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:
>Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
>>> In message <lln4fhd10godkiosnu0stpbh1oiv3vl0b8@4ax.com>, at 14:21:55 on
>>> Tue, 9 Aug 2022, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:

>>> But neither do you need to indulge in your unique variant of bragging
>>> about "wherever I am in the World".
>>
>> That’s not bragging. In ye olde dayes you counted yourself lucky if
>> yesterday’s papers were available at a very high price whilst abroad. Now I
>> can be on holiday anywhere (almost anywhere for Roland) and can download my
>> papers. It’s a valid point to make.
>>
>> Whereas nitpicking about the lack of availability of Internet on the EL
>> adds nothing to the conversation and is just your edge case detector being
>> overly sensitive again.
>
>Roland could have cited a much more relevant exception: people too poor to
>afford to subscribe to on-line newspapers, but who still like to pretend to
>be well-informed.

That's another brag "I waste lots of money on newspapers because I
mistakenly think that cash-paid-for journalism is going to better than
the rest". When in fact a great dal of the time other sources are far
more accurate and informative, and less biassed.

I'd rather take my pick and choose from a few dozen of the latter, than
nail my flag to the mast of a handful of the former.
--
Roland Perry

Re: Fort William Station

<dk+i$tJd$S9iFAq9@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36432&group=uk.railway#36432

From: rol...@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2022 17:35:41 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Thu, 11 Aug 2022 16:35 UTC

In message <td0hor$1s9g5$2@dont-email.me>, at 15:10:19 on Wed, 10 Aug
2022, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:
>Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> wrote:
>> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Roland could have cited a much more relevant exception: people too poor to
>>> afford to subscribe to on-line newspapers, but who still like to pretend to
>>> be well-informed.
>>>

>> Actually you raise an interesting point there, when printed editions were
>> the main way for people to get news those who were too poor to regularly
>> purchase a paper could usually find a discarded one
>> lying about somewhere and while not as up to date as those who read them
>> at breakfast could follow events before they ceased to have relevance.
>> You cannot find second-hand online papers left on the seat of a bus or in a
>> bin and if energy prices do reach the high costs predicted then what were
>> insignificant costs to run things like routers and devices will become
>> significant for some. All those things that were once a £5 or £6 pounds a
>> year to run will be costing £20 something and four or five gadgets over a
>> year at that rate will start to look like real money, some may struggle to
>> stay online which nowadays if you are not can make life awkward.
>
>I think, at current prices, a wifi router costs about £20-30 pa to run. You
>could obviously cut that cost by turning it off overnight, or when out.

On that point, if the router is fed by ADSL broadband (most of them are
still) the constant switching on and off will upset the DSLAMs.

At the moment £30 year is about what it costs to keep a 10 watt device
(ADSL router and wifi hub depends on model, but perhaps a median is 15
watt) operating 24x7. From what I can tell Sky/FTTP devices take at
least that much power, but might be happier being turned on and off.

I think the moral here is to measure it and try get a different one if
it's in the 40W bracket that some people report.
--
Roland Perry

Re: Fort William Station

<YFnznPK7CT9iFAY7@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36434&group=uk.railway#36434

From: rol...@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2022 17:39:23 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Thu, 11 Aug 2022 16:39 UTC

In message <tcuc09$1fgod$2@dont-email.me>, at 19:19:37 on Tue, 9 Aug
2022, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:
>Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
>> In message <lln4fhd10godkiosnu0stpbh1oiv3vl0b8@4ax.com>, at 14:21:55 on

>>> If they board at the vast majority of EL stations, the train will be
>>> above ground, with both mobile data and WiFi
>>> Internet available. And they can always download stuff before going
>>> underground.
>>>
>>> But, yes, Roland, we all know that there are places where the Internet
>>> is not available. You don't need to try and demonstrate your unique
>>> variant of 'cleverness' in reminding us of that.
>>
>> But neither do you need to indulge in your unique variant of bragging
>> about "wherever I am in the World".
>
>It's not a boast, just a simple statement of how I read the newspapers.
>It's not like I was a non-traveller like you pretending to still be the
>business traveller you were long ago.

If anything I too often repeat that I semi-retired after the referendum
when Parliament got too obsessed with that, to want to think about
anything else.
--
Roland Perry

Re: Fort William Station

<td3d6h$27kdb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36436&group=uk.railway#36436

From: ema...@domain.com (Bob)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2022 19:10:39 +0200
References: <tcqq0a$tnn3$1@dont-email.me> <tcr96i$v9cl$2@dont-email.me> <1744fh9qom5gnjg8df33oj3d1r496thgda@4ax.com> <tct5cd$1b8pq$1@dont-email.me> <tct60m$1bbak$2@dont-email.me> <oTify+ap+h8iFA3X@perry.uk> <tct7ev$1bgr3$2@dont-email.me> <fgXiufb+Ri8iFAjB@perry.uk> <tct8tj$1bmfg$2@dont-email.me> <q5O$4BgbTl8iFAUq@perry.uk> <lln4fhd10godkiosnu0stpbh1oiv3vl0b8@4ax.com> <l148bEmD9o8iFAEW@perry.uk> <tcu6k6$1evfl$1@dont-email.me> <tcud1j$1fjvp$2@dont-email.me> <uXOez1HeqS9iFAOo@perry.uk>
 by: Bob - Thu, 11 Aug 2022 17:10 UTC

On 2022-08-11 16:13:18 +0000, Roland Perry said:

> In message <tcud1j$1fjvp$2@dont-email.me>, at 19:37:23 on Tue, 9 Aug
> 2022, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:
>> Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> That’s not bragging. In ye olde dayes you counted yourself lucky if
>>> yesterday’s papers were available at a very high price whilst abroad. Now I
>>> can be on holiday anywhere (almost anywhere for Roland) and can download my
>>> papers. It’s a valid point to make.
>>>
>>> Whereas nitpicking about the lack of availability of Internet on the EL
>>> adds nothing to the conversation and is just your edge case detector being
>>> overly sensitive again.
>>
>> Roland could have cited a much more relevant exception: people too poor to
>> afford to subscribe to on-line newspapers, but who still like to pretend to
>> be well-informed.
>
> That's another brag "I waste lots of money on newspapers because I
> mistakenly think that cash-paid-for journalism is going to better than
> the rest". When in fact a great dal of the time other sources are far
> more accurate and informative, and less biassed.
>
> I'd rather take my pick and choose from a few dozen of the latter, than
> nail my flag to the mast of a handful of the former.

Newspapers as a format are inherently baised, and in the face of 24
hour and internet based new sources (both curated and user-generated)
this has only intensified. One source of bias is the less obvious one,
that print newspapers have a limited capacity, so the editor has to
chose which news to cover and which to ignore. The other factor is
that, as newspapers can not hope to win the race for getting the news
to readers first, they have instead chosen to focus on analysis and
opinion, and the choice of the bias of the writers fo these pieces and
the editorial position taken presents a signficant bias. The general
editorial position of most newspapers is generally well enough known,
though, I expect a certain position to be taken by the Telegraph, the
Guardian, the Daily Mail etc, and if I read a story from one of those I
will interpret what it says accordingly. It is always worth reading a
range of newspapers, including those that take a position contrary to
ones own views, to get a view from a range of political positions.

Robin

Re: Fort William Station

<td3e8b$27nn0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36440&group=uk.railway#36440

From: usenet.t...@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2022 17:28:43 -0000 (UTC)
<lln4fhd10godkiosnu0stpbh1oiv3vl0b8@4ax.com>
<l148bEmD9o8iFAEW@perry.uk>
<tcu6k6$1evfl$1@dont-email.me>
<pX8fTdHWnS9iFAvW@perry.uk>
sha1:NNF0uFFFQmYTCEnVhHFed/D6rzc=
 by: Tweed - Thu, 11 Aug 2022 17:28 UTC

Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
> In message <tcu6k6$1evfl$1@dont-email.me>, at 17:47:50 on Tue, 9 Aug
> 2022, Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> remarked:
>> Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
>>> In message <lln4fhd10godkiosnu0stpbh1oiv3vl0b8@4ax.com>, at 14:21:55 on
>>> Tue, 9 Aug 2022, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:

>>> But neither do you need to indulge in your unique variant of bragging
>>> about "wherever I am in the World".
>>
>> That’s not bragging. In ye olde dayes you counted yourself lucky if
>> yesterday’s papers were available at a very high price whilst abroad. Now I
>> can be on holiday anywhere (almost anywhere for Roland) and can download my
>> papers. It’s a valid point to make.
>
> The bragging is about the number of expensive holidays he indulges in
> and keeps telling us about (even when they aren't relevant).
>
>> Whereas nitpicking about the lack of availability of Internet on the EL
>> adds nothing to the conversation and is just your edge case detector being
>> overly sensitive again.
>
> That's just me pulling his leg because he thinks specifically the EL can
> do no wrong.

Perhaps you add a <leg pull> or <joke> tag to your postings, just to help
the rest of us with your dedicated humour.

Re: Fort William Station

<td3smg$2953f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36463&group=uk.railway#36463

From: ukr...@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk (Sam Wilson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2022 21:35:12 -0000 (UTC)
<lln4fhd10godkiosnu0stpbh1oiv3vl0b8@4ax.com>
<l148bEmD9o8iFAEW@perry.uk>
<tcu6k6$1evfl$1@dont-email.me>
<pX8fTdHWnS9iFAvW@perry.uk>
<td3e8b$27nn0$1@dont-email.me>
sha1:mls9WZ3sQHr7eeL+G+HZmFgaNTA=
 by: Sam Wilson - Thu, 11 Aug 2022 21:35 UTC

Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:
> Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
>> In message <tcu6k6$1evfl$1@dont-email.me>, at 17:47:50 on Tue, 9 Aug
>> 2022, Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> remarked:

>>> That’s not bragging. In ye olde dayes you counted yourself lucky if
>>> yesterday’s papers were available at a very high price whilst abroad. Now I
>>> can be on holiday anywhere (almost anywhere for Roland) and can download my
>>> papers. It’s a valid point to make.
>>
>> The bragging is about the number of expensive holidays he indulges in
>> and keeps telling us about (even when they aren't relevant).
>>
>>> Whereas nitpicking about the lack of availability of Internet on the EL
>>> adds nothing to the conversation and is just your edge case detector being
>>> overly sensitive again.
>>
>> That's just me pulling his leg because he thinks specifically the EL can
>> do no wrong.
>
> Perhaps you add a <leg pull> or <joke> tag to your postings, just to help
> the rest of us with your dedicated humour.

I blame autocorrect - dessicated, surely.

Sam

--
The entity formerly known as Sam.Wilson@ed.ac.uk
Spit the dummy to reply

Re: Fort William Station

<td4se8$2ekvb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36470&group=uk.railway#36470

From: usenet.t...@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2022 06:36:56 -0000 (UTC)
<lln4fhd10godkiosnu0stpbh1oiv3vl0b8@4ax.com>
<l148bEmD9o8iFAEW@perry.uk>
<tcu6k6$1evfl$1@dont-email.me>
<pX8fTdHWnS9iFAvW@perry.uk>
<td3e8b$27nn0$1@dont-email.me>
<td3smg$2953f$1@dont-email.me>
sha1:Y17BgHdVXr1KHQId+/GnZNuQW4Y=
 by: Tweed - Fri, 12 Aug 2022 06:36 UTC

Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> wrote:
> Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
>>> In message <tcu6k6$1evfl$1@dont-email.me>, at 17:47:50 on Tue, 9 Aug
>>> 2022, Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> remarked:

>>> The bragging is about the number of expensive holidays he indulges in
>>> and keeps telling us about (even when they aren't relevant).

>>> That's just me pulling his leg because he thinks specifically the EL can
>>> do no wrong.
>>
>> Perhaps you add a <leg pull> or <joke> tag to your postings, just to help
>> the rest of us with your dedicated humour.
>
> I blame autocorrect - dessicated, surely.
>
> Sam

Indeed, I did mean desiccated (and just had to look up the spelling!)

Interestingly, and pertinently, when I looked up the spelling I got a
second definition beyond the dry I was expecting:
“Lacking vitality or interest”

Re: Fort William Station

<td5gal$2gdq0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36516&group=uk.railway#36516

From: ukr...@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk (Sam Wilson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2022 12:16:21 -0000 (UTC)
<lln4fhd10godkiosnu0stpbh1oiv3vl0b8@4ax.com>
<l148bEmD9o8iFAEW@perry.uk>
<tcu6k6$1evfl$1@dont-email.me>
<pX8fTdHWnS9iFAvW@perry.uk>
<td3e8b$27nn0$1@dont-email.me>
<td3smg$2953f$1@dont-email.me>
<td4se8$2ekvb$1@dont-email.me>
sha1:QQ1efU03hcTkwgnjpmIzCd1kgH4=
 by: Sam Wilson - Fri, 12 Aug 2022 12:16 UTC

Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> I blame autocorrect - dessicated, surely.
>
> Indeed, I did mean desiccated (and just had to look up the spelling!)

Wow - I’ve been mentally spelling that word wrongly for years without ever
having to spell it IRL. Thank you for the correction.

> Interestingly, and pertinently, when I looked up the spelling I got a
> second definition beyond the dry I was expecting:
> “Lacking vitality or interest”

Oh dear…

Sam