nolo contendere: A legal term meaning: "I didn't do it, judge, and I'll never do it again."

aus+uk / uk.railway / Re: Avanti to stop selling tickets

SubjectAuthor
* Avanti to stop selling ticketsScott
+* Avanti to stop selling ticketsRecliner
  +* Avanti to stop selling ticketshounslow3@yahoo.co.uk
  |`- Avanti to stop selling ticketsRecliner
  `* Avanti to stop selling ticketsAnna Noyd-Dryver
   `* Avanti to stop selling ticketsRecliner
    +* Avanti to stop selling ticketsBob
    |`* Avanti to stop selling ticketsmartin.coffee
    | +- Avanti to stop selling ticketsRecliner
    | `* Avanti to stop selling ticketsScott
    |  +* Avanti to stop selling ticketsRecliner
    |  |`- Avanti to stop selling ticketsRoland Perry
    |  +* Avanti to stop selling ticketsRoland Perry
    |  |`* Avanti to stop selling ticketsRecliner
    |  | +* Avanti to stop selling ticketsTheo
    |  | |`* Avanti to stop selling ticketsRoland Perry
    |  | | `- Avanti to stop selling ticketsRecliner
    |  | `- Avanti to stop selling ticketsRoland Perry
    |  `- Avanti to stop selling ticketsmartin.coffee
    `- Avanti to stop selling ticketsAnna Noyd-Dryver

Pages:123
Re: Avanti to stop selling tickets

<zld5Pp$QwO9iFAOc@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36421&group=uk.railway#36421

From: rol...@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: Avanti to stop selling tickets
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2022 12:46:24 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Thu, 11 Aug 2022 11:46 UTC

In message <bmu*zMtVy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>, at 12:22:13 on Thu,
11 Aug 2022, Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> remarked:
>Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
>> > I'd forgotten about that Wetherspoons. Originally an M&S 'Simply Food' I
>> > think. Google Maps still hasn't been updated: "Unit 23, the Circle".
>>
>> Maybe not in the version of Google Maps seen in Ely; elsewhere, the pub is
>> correctly named, along with the information that it's "Not too busy" right
>> now.
>
>Not sure about your 'elsewhere', but here (desktop Google Maps) the front of
>the unit is just labelled '23', and the pin for M&S Simply Food is located
>behind Boots (which I think is the parking garage):
>https://goo.gl/maps/AtP4fERagNVnGcsk9

That pin, as is commonplace, has been positioned with insufficient
precision. And from the accompanying data should be over Unit 23.

There's always been a separate much smaller M&S close to the E* checkin
area, which as far as I'm aware is still trading.
--
Roland Perry

Re: Avanti to stop selling tickets

<3bs9fhh9j4pdh8eek67fqshf2f707dtqbc@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36422&group=uk.railway#36422

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
References: <s5t4fhha1i9ft15c1b5jvm0fmdhheq5rin@4ax.com> <tcud9c$1fk7r$1@dont-email.me> <tcue1m$1fn47$2@dont-email.me> <td07h0$1rabs$1@dont-email.me> <1h87fhtk91b6e5j4o32pvav3h4kla4f4ab@4ax.com> <td0b41$1rl3i$1@dont-email.me> <td2gj8$24o1q$2@dont-email.me> <utl9fhlp7murkd1jrvqg1n4o0jfngav31g@4ax.com> <$3Sa7u6ttN9iFAeJ@perry.uk> <td2n3k$25bdq$2@dont-email.me> <bmu*zMtVy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk> <zld5Pp$QwO9iFAOc@perry.uk>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2022 13:09:29 +0100
 by: Recliner - Thu, 11 Aug 2022 12:09 UTC

On Thu, 11 Aug 2022 12:46:24 +0100, Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:

>In message <bmu*zMtVy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>, at 12:22:13 on Thu,
>11 Aug 2022, Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> remarked:
>>Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Maybe not in the version of Google Maps seen in Ely; elsewhere, the pub is
>>> correctly named, along with the information that it's "Not too busy" right
>>> now.
>>
>>Not sure about your 'elsewhere', but here (desktop Google Maps) the front of
>>the unit is just labelled '23', and the pin for M&S Simply Food is located
>>behind Boots (which I think is the parking garage):
>>https://goo.gl/maps/AtP4fERagNVnGcsk9
>
>That pin, as is commonplace, has been positioned with insufficient
>precision. And from the accompanying data should be over Unit 23.
>
>There's always been a separate much smaller M&S close to the E* checkin
>area, which as far as I'm aware is still trading.

It certainly was when I was in that crowded lounge.

Re: Avanti to stop selling tickets

<F69EIdAR7O9iFAoe@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36423&group=uk.railway#36423

From: rol...@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2022 12:58:09 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Thu, 11 Aug 2022 11:58 UTC

In message <td2lsv$257pt$2@dont-email.me>, at 10:33:03 on Thu, 11 Aug
2022, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:
>Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
>> On Thu, 11 Aug 2022 10:02:32 +0100,
>> martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk wrote:

>>> I went in there twice during May and the queues almost reached Wetherspoons.
>>
>> I suppose it would be worse if the queues at Wetherspoons almost
>> reached St Pancras :-)
>
>Wetherspoons is *in* St Pancras! As the name suggests, this pub is located
>in a small part of the former barrel vaults in the Midland Railway station
>undercroft:

Are you sure. It seems to me (having observed the development progress
over the last 20yrs) it's in the new extension to the north of the old
station/undercroft. And somewhat displaced to the east. The marketing
people might not be so worried about such mission creep though. The
trademark circular cast iron white pillars don't extend any further
north than the curtain wall at the end of the original shed. This photo
shows the station narrowing quite significantly at that point;

I reckon the pub footprint is roughly where I've marked in red.

<http://perry.co.uk/images/St-Pancras-Spoons.jpg>

That whole bit of the new extension being east of the eastern building
line of the original shed: https://goo.gl/maps/gWMencVRwGoiGVoH8

But it is at the *level* of the old undercroft (ie downstairs from the
railway racks, which are elevated above street level).

During the period the MML was slewed over to where the HS1 domestic
platforms are, that area had a temporary ticket office and toilets. The
temporary buffet was upstairs near the buffers and the FC lounge in a
portacabin about halfway along the future "Farmers Market".

--
Roland Perry

Re: Avanti to stop selling tickets

<td3ris$291u6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36462&group=uk.railway#36462

From: ann...@noyd-dryver.com (Anna Noyd-Dryver)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2022 21:16:12 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:cvK4lqE2HW9hUmXg0vNxwv80zUU=
 by: Anna Noyd-Dryver - Thu, 11 Aug 2022 21:16 UTC

Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
> In message <td1d84$1uvfh$5@dont-email.me>, at 22:59:17 on Wed, 10 Aug
> 2022, Anna Noyd-Dryver <anna@noyd-dryver.com> remarked:
>> Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
>>> In message <tcu6e2$1eup8$1@dont-email.me>, at 18:44:34 on Tue, 9 Aug
>>> 2022, Bevan Price <bevanprice666@gmail.com> remarked:

>>> Except in the special case of Sundays, a lot of them can't get the
>>> Unions to agree to make it part of the regular
>>
>> I'm told that AWC and VWC before them, have had Sundays as part of the
>> working week for many many years.
>>
>>> rosta.
>>
>> Why do you use this unusual spelling of 'roster'?
>
> Why is it unusual for usenet postings to have typos in them?

It can't be a typo in the sense of a mis-typing, because you do it every
time you use that word. Which is why I assumed it must be deliberate.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Re: Avanti to stop selling tickets

<pS7PigUJYj9iFAfg@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36504&group=uk.railway#36504

From: rol...@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2022 12:14:17 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Fri, 12 Aug 2022 11:14 UTC

In message <td3ris$291u6$1@dont-email.me>, at 21:16:12 on Thu, 11 Aug

In message <Adq1xwBelZpiFA6X@perry.uk>, at 08:44:30 on Sun, 12 Jun 2022,
Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> remarked:

In message <AKkFUnKNQ8DiFAbw@perry.uk>, at 16:06:37 on Fri, 18 Feb 2022,

In message <lJWORCiIx82hFAa$@perry.uk>, at 06:03:52 on Mon, 10 Jan 2022,

In message <d+Uw8efJeU0hFAuh@perry.uk>, at 06:34:49 on Sun, 2 Jan 2022,

--
Roland Perry

Re: Avanti to stop selling tickets

<td5e3b$2g74q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36509&group=uk.railway#36509

From: rai...@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2022 12:38:19 +0100
 by: Graeme Wall - Fri, 12 Aug 2022 11:38 UTC

On 12/08/2022 12:14, Roland Perry wrote:
> In message <td3ris$291u6$1@dont-email.me>, at 21:16:12 on Thu, 11 Aug
> 2022, Anna Noyd-Dryver <anna@noyd-dryver.com> remarked:
>> Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
>>> In message <td1d84$1uvfh$5@dont-email.me>, at 22:59:17 on Wed, 10 Aug
>>> 2022, Anna Noyd-Dryver <anna@noyd-dryver.com> remarked:

>>> Why is it unusual for usenet postings to have typos in them?
>>
>> It can't be a typo in the sense of a mis-typing, because you do it every
>> time you use that word. Which is why I assumed it must be deliberate.
>
> In message <Adq1xwBelZpiFA6X@perry.uk>, at 08:44:30 on Sun, 12 Jun 2022,
> Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> remarked:
>
>> The theme of the thread is whether or not colleagues in
>> Sunday-never-rostered TOCs would be prepared to forego those 26 days
>> at 1.25x *in addition* to being paid their average 4day week Mon-Sat.
>
> In message <AKkFUnKNQ8DiFAbw@perry.uk>, at 16:06:37 on Fri, 18 Feb 2022,
> Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> remarked:
>
>> Before the Birmingham services were lost, crew changes were possible
>> at Ely between the two routes to beyond PBO, which must have helped
>> with rostering. They may have also changed crews at PBO too.
>
> In message <lJWORCiIx82hFAa$@perry.uk>, at 06:03:52 on Mon, 10 Jan 2022,
> Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> remarked:
>
>> Clearly impossible rostering, which is why they use a diesel for (in a
>> recent tour) Doncaster back to Cambridge.
>
> In message <d+Uw8efJeU0hFAuh@perry.uk>, at 06:34:49 on Sun, 2 Jan 2022,
> Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> remarked:
>
>> Doing four of those in a week puts the employee 4hrs over their
>> 48hr/week limit, although in practice they'll probably be rostered for
>> only three days the following week, to give an average workload of
>> 45.5hrs, and everyone seems fairly OK with that.

In none of those quotes do you use the word.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: Avanti to stop selling tickets

<qAMvWl3Uqp9iFA$0@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36551&group=uk.railway#36551

From: rol...@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2022 19:23:16 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Fri, 12 Aug 2022 18:23 UTC

In message <td5e3b$2g74q$1@dont-email.me>, at 12:38:19 on Fri, 12 Aug
2022, Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> remarked:
>On 12/08/2022 12:14, Roland Perry wrote:
>> In message <td3ris$291u6$1@dont-email.me>, at 21:16:12 on Thu, 11 Aug
>>2022, Anna Noyd-Dryver <anna@noyd-dryver.com> remarked:

>>> It can't be a typo in the sense of a mis-typing, because you do it every
>>> time you use that word. Which is why I assumed it must be deliberate.
>> In message <Adq1xwBelZpiFA6X@perry.uk>, at 08:44:30 on Sun, 12 Jun
>>2022, Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> remarked:
>>
>>> The theme of the thread is whether or not colleagues in
>>>Sunday-never-rostered TOCs would be prepared to forego those 26 days
>>>1.25x *in addition* to being paid their average 4day week Mon-Sat.
>> In message <AKkFUnKNQ8DiFAbw@perry.uk>, at 16:06:37 on Fri, 18 Feb
>>2022, Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> remarked:
>>
>>> Before the Birmingham services were lost, crew changes were possible
>>>at Ely between the two routes to beyond PBO, which must have helped
>>>with rostering. They may have also changed crews at PBO too.
>> In message <lJWORCiIx82hFAa$@perry.uk>, at 06:03:52 on Mon, 10 Jan
>>2022, Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> remarked:
>>
>>> Clearly impossible rostering, which is why they use a diesel for (in
>>>a recent tour) Doncaster back to Cambridge.
>> In message <d+Uw8efJeU0hFAuh@perry.uk>, at 06:34:49 on Sun, 2 Jan
>>2022, Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> remarked:
>>
>>> Doing four of those in a week puts the employee 4hrs over their
>>>48hr/week limit, although in practice they'll probably be rostered
>>>for only three days the following week, to give an average workload
>>>of 45.5hrs, and everyone seems fairly OK with that.
>
>In none of those quotes do you use the word.

But it shows I know the word *is* roster, and thus rosta is simply a
typo. Get over it!
--
Roland Perry

Re: Avanti to stop selling tickets

<td66tr$2im2k$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36554&group=uk.railway#36554

From: rai...@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2022 19:42:03 +0100
 by: Graeme Wall - Fri, 12 Aug 2022 18:42 UTC

On 12/08/2022 19:23, Roland Perry wrote:
> In message <td5e3b$2g74q$1@dont-email.me>, at 12:38:19 on Fri, 12 Aug
> 2022, Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> remarked:
>> On 12/08/2022 12:14, Roland Perry wrote:
>>> In message <td3ris$291u6$1@dont-email.me>, at 21:16:12 on Thu, 11 Aug
>>> 2022, Anna Noyd-Dryver <anna@noyd-dryver.com> remarked:

>>>  In message <Adq1xwBelZpiFA6X@perry.uk>, at 08:44:30 on Sun, 12 Jun
>>> 2022,  Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> remarked:

>>>  In message <AKkFUnKNQ8DiFAbw@perry.uk>, at 16:06:37 on Fri, 18 Feb
>>> 2022,  Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> remarked:

>>>  In message <lJWORCiIx82hFAa$@perry.uk>, at 06:03:52 on Mon, 10 Jan
>>> 2022,  Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> remarked:

>>>  In message <d+Uw8efJeU0hFAuh@perry.uk>, at 06:34:49 on Sun, 2 Jan
>>> 2022,  Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> remarked:

>> In none of those quotes do you use the word.
>
> But it shows I know the word *is* roster, and thus rosta is simply a
> typo. Get over it!

I was never on it, just playing the perry pedant game.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: Avanti to stop selling tickets

<td68cf$2is3d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36555&group=uk.railway#36555

From: ann...@noyd-dryver.com (Anna Noyd-Dryver)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2022 19:06:55 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:RF+dA32uOAfMbO6+HzH/PRl5xfI=
 by: Anna Noyd-Dryver - Fri, 12 Aug 2022 19:06 UTC

Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
> In message <td3ris$291u6$1@dont-email.me>, at 21:16:12 on Thu, 11 Aug
> 2022, Anna Noyd-Dryver <anna@noyd-dryver.com> remarked:
>> Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
>>> In message <td1d84$1uvfh$5@dont-email.me>, at 22:59:17 on Wed, 10 Aug
>>> 2022, Anna Noyd-Dryver <anna@noyd-dryver.com> remarked:

>>> Why is it unusual for usenet postings to have typos in them?
>>
>> It can't be a typo in the sense of a mis-typing, because you do it every
>> time you use that word. Which is why I assumed it must be deliberate.
>
> In message <Adq1xwBelZpiFA6X@perry.uk>, at 08:44:30 on Sun, 12 Jun 2022,
> Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> remarked:
>
>> The theme of the thread is whether or not colleagues in
>> Sunday-never-rostered TOCs would be prepared to forego those 26 days at
>> 1.25x *in addition* to being paid their average 4day week Mon-Sat.
>
> In message <AKkFUnKNQ8DiFAbw@perry.uk>, at 16:06:37 on Fri, 18 Feb 2022,
> Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> remarked:
>
>> Before the Birmingham services were lost, crew changes were possible at
>> Ely between the two routes to beyond PBO, which must have helped with
>> rostering. They may have also changed crews at PBO too.
>
> In message <lJWORCiIx82hFAa$@perry.uk>, at 06:03:52 on Mon, 10 Jan 2022,
> Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> remarked:
>
>> Clearly impossible rostering, which is why they use a diesel for (in a
>> recent tour) Doncaster back to Cambridge.
>
> In message <d+Uw8efJeU0hFAuh@perry.uk>, at 06:34:49 on Sun, 2 Jan 2022,
> Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> remarked:
>
>> Doing four of those in a week puts the employee 4hrs over their
>> 48hr/week limit, although in practice they'll probably be rostered for
>> only three days the following week, to give an average workload of
>> 45.5hrs, and everyone seems fairly OK with that.

And now again without the -ing -ed?

You've certainly used 'rosta' several times before, sufficiently for me to
assume it was deliberate.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Re: Avanti to stop selling tickets

<q4BvIq+i5z9iFA8z@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36583&group=uk.railway#36583

From: rol...@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2022 07:02:10 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Sat, 13 Aug 2022 06:02 UTC

In message <td66tr$2im2k$2@dont-email.me>, at 19:42:03 on Fri, 12 Aug
2022, Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> remarked:
>On 12/08/2022 19:23, Roland Perry wrote:
>> In message <td5e3b$2g74q$1@dont-email.me>, at 12:38:19 on Fri, 12 Aug
>>2022, Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> remarked:

>>> In none of those quotes do you use the word.
>> But it shows I know the word *is* roster, and thus rosta is simply a
>>typo. Get over it!
>
>I was never on it, just playing the perry pedant game.

No, I think you are playing the perry-baiting game.

I'm never quite sure whether to be more flattered, or annoyed, by the
attention.
--
Roland Perry

Re: Avanti to stop selling tickets

<LAYnWMCFR09iFALx@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36585&group=uk.railway#36585

From: rol...@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2022 07:27:17 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Sat, 13 Aug 2022 06:27 UTC

In message <td68cf$2is3d$1@dont-email.me>, at 19:06:55 on Fri, 12 Aug
2022, Anna Noyd-Dryver <anna@noyd-dryver.com> remarked:

[snip many examples of non-typo postings]

>And now again without the -ing -ed?

Sept 2021;

"Why would Scotrail roster drivers for trains that can't run because
the conductors are on strike?"

March 2020:

"[GTR's] inability to recruit enough drivers (despite protestations
they have no vacancies) and then roster them appropriately, is
legendary."

Jan 2020:

"London to Cambridge and back is only an hour each way, and a driver
who had been expecting to go to Peterborough and back could easily
be re-assigned without any inconvenience to himself, if he was on a
roster which said 'go wherever you are needed most'.

Dec 2019:

"We are 18 months into the 'new timetable', so the need to train
and roster suitable staff is really old news."

August 2019:

"Although in practice [EMT 170's] rarely operated in multiple. And
when they are, it seems the rear half is often a ECS in disguise
(probably because they only roster one guard per train)."

That's as far back as my easily accessible posting history goes. Given
that Google Groups has thrown in the towel for ukr, to go further back
I'd require my consultancy daily rate to explore further.

>You've certainly used 'rosta' several times before, sufficiently for me to
>assume it was deliberate.

My typos are never deliberate. Most are a result of a dodgy keyboard
which keeps missing keystrokes[1], others are a brain-finger disconnect
where gaps happen because the latter lags the former and eventually the
buffer overflows. Normally they get proof-read and fixed, but sometimes
not.

[1] I'm pretty sure this is a software issue, not hardware.
--
Roland Perry