I think I am an overnight sensation right now!!

aus+uk / uk.tech.digital-tv / Re: How long should a satalite laste

SubjectAuthor
* How long should a satalite lasteBrian Gaff
+- Re: How long should a satalite lasteSH
+* Re: How long should a satalite lasteMartin
|`* Re: How long should a satalite lasteBrian Gaff
| `* Re: How long should a satalite lasteAshley Booth
|  `- Re: How long should a satalite lasteMartin
+* Re: How long should a satalite lasteR. Mark Clayton
|+- Re: How long should a satalite lasteSH
|+* Re: How long should a satalite lasteRobin
||`* Re: How long should a satalite lastewrightsaerials@aol.com
|| +* Re: How long should a satalite lasteRobin
|| |`- Re: How long should a satalite lasteBrian Gaff
|| +* Re: How long should a satalite lasteBrian Gaff
|| |`* Re: How long should a satalite lasteSH
|| | `- Re: How long should a satalite lasteSH
|| `* Re: How long should a satalite lasteR. Mark Clayton
||  `* Re: How long should a satalite lastewrightsaerials@aol.com
||   `* Re: How long should a satalite lasteJava Jive
||    `* Re: How long should a satalite lasteR. Mark Clayton
||     `- Re: How long should a satalite lasteJNugent
|`* Re: How long should a satalite lasteBrian Gaff
| +* Re: How long should a satalite lasteMB
| |`- Re: How long should a satalite lasteAshley Booth
| `- Re: How long should a satalite lasteBrian Gregory
+* Re: How long should a satalite lastejon
|`- Re: How long should a satalite lasteBrian Gaff
+* Re: How long should a satalite lasteAndy Burns
|`- Re: How long should a satalite lasteBrian Gaff
+* Re: How long should a satalite lasteDavey
|`- Re: How long should a satalite lasteBrian Gaff
`- Re: How long should a satalite lasteBrian Gregory

Pages:12
Re: How long should a satalite laste

<a4c5e5f4-b3b6-4752-887e-2ed41c598f44n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=37080&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#37080

Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2022 13:24:47 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: How long should a satalite laste
From: wrightsa...@f2s.com (wrightsaerials@aol.com)
 by: wrightsaerials@aol.c - Fri, 7 Oct 2022 20:24 UTC

On Friday, 7 October 2022 at 15:30:49 UTC+1, R. Mark Clayton wrote:

> > > I perpetrate so many typos that I truly comment only to say I spent a
> > > shameful number of seconds wondering if that was a meaning of 'morally'
> > > which had previously escaped me :(
> > I can't think what's going on here.
> >
> > Bill
> An item which is worn out or served its purpose is physically redundant - e.g. old car, empty non-returnable bottle.
>
> An item which was made for a purpose no longer utilised is morally redundant - e.g. videocrypt decoder, analogue mobile phone, VHF TV aerial - even if it would still function.
I never knew that!
Bill

Re: How long should a satalite laste

<thq341$3rdd6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=37081&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#37081

From: jav...@evij.com.invalid (Java Jive)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2022 21:44:45 +0100
 by: Java Jive - Fri, 7 Oct 2022 20:44 UTC

On 07/10/2022 21:24, wrightsaerials@aol.com wrote:

> On Friday, 7 October 2022 at 15:30:49 UTC+1, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
>>
>> An item which is worn out or served its purpose is physically redundant - e.g. old car, empty non-returnable bottle.
>>
>> An item which was made for a purpose no longer utilised is morally redundant - e.g. videocrypt decoder, analogue mobile phone, VHF TV aerial - even if it would still function.
>
> I never knew that!

I also have never heard the word 'morally' used like that, and a brief
online dictionary search didn't find that meaning either. Even if the
word *is* actually used like that, which I rather doubt, for that
intended meaning it would still be better to use a closer fitting word
like 'functionally' or 'effectually'.

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

Re: How long should a satalite laste

<jqcp3bFg6g6U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=37088&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#37088

From: remove...@snglinks.com (Ashley Booth)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: 8 Oct 2022 08:01:47 GMT
 by: Ashley Booth - Sat, 8 Oct 2022 08:01 UTC

MB wrote:

> On 04/10/2022 12:02, Brian Gaff wrote:
> > I know at least one of them has a Ham radio repeater on it, working
> > at a high frequency as well, whether this utilised the same
> > hardware or not I do not know.
>

> As far as I am aware, the OSCAR satellites are not geosynchronous and
> not HF, the original one was 144 MHz but later ones were on various
> bands in VHF, UHF and higher (I think).

Oscar 100 is on a transponder on Es’hailSat at 26 deg east.

https://amsat-dl.org/en/eshail-2-amsat-phase-4-a/

--

Re: How long should a satalite laste

<b0631ea5-9c22-4684-a2d5-d708e3a82faen@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=37111&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#37111

Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2022 05:34:08 -0700 (PDT)
From: notyalck...@gmail.com (R. Mark Clayton)
 by: R. Mark Clayton - Sun, 9 Oct 2022 12:34 UTC

On Friday, 7 October 2022 at 21:44:51 UTC+1, Java Jive wrote:
> On 07/10/2022 21:24, wrights...@aol.com wrote:
> >
> > On Friday, 7 October 2022 at 15:30:49 UTC+1, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
> >>
> >> An item which is worn out or served its purpose is physically redundant - e.g. old car, empty non-returnable bottle.
> >>
> >> An item which was made for a purpose no longer utilised is morally redundant - e.g. videocrypt decoder, analogue mobile phone, VHF TV aerial - even if it would still function.
> >
> > I never knew that!
> I also have never heard the word 'morally' used like that, and a brief
> online dictionary search didn't find that meaning either. Even if the
> word *is* actually used like that, which I rather doubt, for that
> intended meaning it would still be better to use a closer fitting word
> like 'functionally' or 'effectually'.
>
> --
>
> Fake news kills!
>
> I may be contacted via the contact address given on my website:
> www.macfh.co.uk

I came across it some years ago in an economic text about why capital goods were replaced. Perhaps a better example would be steam trains. Only one built in over fifty years in the UK, and nearly all previous examples scrapped as not worth continuing to operate, some after little more than ten years.

Re: How long should a satalite laste

<jqg040Ft4oU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=37112&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#37112

From: jennings...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2022 14:20:01 +0100
 by: JNugent - Sun, 9 Oct 2022 13:20 UTC

On 09/10/2022 01:34 pm, R. Mark Clayton wrote:

> On Friday, 7 October 2022 at 21:44:51 UTC+1, Java Jive wrote:

>>> I never knew that!

>> I also have never heard the word 'morally' used like that, and a brief
>> online dictionary search didn't find that meaning either. Even if the
>> word *is* actually used like that, which I rather doubt, for that
>> intended meaning it would still be better to use a closer fitting word
>> like 'functionally' or 'effectually'.
>> Fake news kills!
>
>> I may be contacted via the contact address given on my website:
>> www.macfh.co.uk
>
> I came across it some years ago in an economic text about why capital goods were replaced. Perhaps a better example would be steam trains. Only one built in over fifty years in the UK, and nearly all previous examples scrapped as not worth continuing to operate, some after little more than ten years.

Yeah... well... it was only taxpayers' money going down the drain...
nothing for the railway fans to worry about, really.

Re: How long should a satalite laste

<9ep7kh50rd3cbamjpco5kum588u3m3eirr@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=37113&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#37113

From: me...@address.invalid (Martin)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2022 11:40:24 +0200
 by: Martin - Mon, 10 Oct 2022 09:40 UTC

On 6 Oct 2022 08:37:25 GMT, "Ashley Booth" <removetab@snglinks.com> wrote:

>Brian Gaff wrote:
>
>> Well some are up there still being used well after that time, if you
>> look on some of the lists you can download. Not sure why they would
>> want one in an inclined orbit, as the whole point was that they seem
>> to be static in the sky. It would be silly to have a sat that moved
>> in little circles as viewed from earth, surely?
>>
>Snip
>> Brian
>
>I've transmitted to an old Astra satellite that was in an inclined
>orbit. This was for SNG (Satellite News Gathering). We had the ability
>to automatically track the figure of eight movement of the satellite.

There are ESA satellites that still work after more than 30 years Ulysses for
example. https://www.esa.int/Science_Exploration/Space_Science/Ulysses_overview
Italian built Artemis data relay satellite with a lot of innovative experiments
on it still works 20 years after it was launched. It was put in a low earth
orbit due to a rocket malfunction and used a revolutionary at the time ion
propulsion motor to get into a geostationary orbit taking one year. It also can
communicate using a laser beam. with the ground and between satellites.
https://www.esa.int/Applications/Telecommunications_Integrated_Applications/Artemis
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

aus+uk / uk.tech.digital-tv / Re: How long should a satalite laste