If you don't care where you are, then you ain't lost.

aus+uk / uk.railway / Re: Heritage Rail firm to compete with Avanti.

SubjectAuthor
* Heritage Rail firm to compete with Avanti.Jack Harry Teesdale
`* Heritage Rail firm to compete with Avanti.Roland Perry
 +- Heritage Rail firm to compete with Avanti.Recliner
 +* Heritage Rail firm to compete with Avanti.Graeme Wall
 |+* Heritage Rail firm to compete with Avanti.Theo
 ||`- Heritage Rail firm to compete with Avanti.Graeme Wall
 |+- Heritage Rail firm to compete with Avanti.Recliner
 |`* Heritage Rail firm to compete with Avanti.Roland Perry
 | +* Heritage Rail firm to compete with Avanti.Recliner
 | |`* Heritage Rail firm to compete with Avanti.Peter Johnson
 | | +- Heritage Rail firm to compete with Avanti.Anna Noyd-Dryver
 | | `* Heritage Rail firm to compete with Avanti.Roland Perry
 | |  `* Heritage Rail firm to compete with Avanti.Certes
 | |   +- Heritage Rail firm to compete with Avanti.Roland Perry
 | |   `- Heritage Rail firm to compete with Avanti.Graeme Wall
 | `* Heritage Rail firm to compete with Avanti.Anna Noyd-Dryver
 |  `* Heritage Rail firm to compete with Avanti.Roland Perry
 |   `- Heritage Rail firm to compete with Avanti.Recliner
 `* Heritage Rail firm to compete with Avanti.Anna Noyd-Dryver
  +* Heritage Rail firm to compete with Avanti.Roland Perry
  |+- Heritage Rail firm to compete with Avanti.Recliner
  |+- Heritage Rail firm to compete with Avanti.Bevan Price
  |`* Heritage Rail firm to compete with Avanti.Anna Noyd-Dryver
  | +* Heritage Rail firm to compete with Avanti.Roland Perry
  | |`- Heritage Rail firm to compete with Avanti.Anna Noyd-Dryver
  | `- Heritage Rail firm to compete with Avanti.Mike Humphrey
  `* Heritage Rail firm to compete with Avanti.Theo
   `- Heritage Rail firm to compete with Avanti.Recliner

Pages:12
Re: Heritage Rail firm to compete with Avanti.

<iWHNjDPMrxAjFAzt@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=37598&group=uk.railway#37598

From: rol...@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: Heritage Rail firm to compete with Avanti.
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2022 06:57:32 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Mon, 22 Aug 2022 05:57 UTC

In message <tduqot$2iou9$1@dont-email.me>, at 02:47:57 on Mon, 22 Aug
2022, Anna Noyd-Dryver <anna@noyd-dryver.com> remarked:
>Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
>> In message <tdtqne$2d4cc$3@dont-email.me>, at 17:41:02 on Sun, 21 Aug
>> 2022, Anna Noyd-Dryver <anna@noyd-dryver.com> remarked:

>>> "Gaps in the timetable of the [heritage rail] firm"?!?
>>
>> Apparently their "competitive" service isn't even every hour or every
>> day, but just once a week. It's being vastly over-sold.
>>
>>> Their offering is a mid-afternoon Crewe-Euston and return
>>> Euston-Manchester, 1tpd each way, Fridays only (so actually 1tpw each
>>> way!), the London-Manchester leg taking 3h15 (vs 2h07 for the Avanti
>>> trains).
>>
>> Crikey, 110mph vs 125mph makes that much difference?
>>

>Mostly down to the stopping pattern, and the route via Birmingham and
>Crewe, I'd guess.
>
>Friday's train arrived 17 minutes late
><https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:U66444/2022-08-19/detail
>ed#allox_id=0>

Must have got stuck behind something, it was 34 late approaching
Wolverhampton (where it recovered slightly, because it has a ten minute
booked stop).
--
Roland Perry

Re: Heritage Rail firm to compete with Avanti.

<tdvj4r$2koev$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=37616&group=uk.railway#37616

From: ann...@noyd-dryver.com (Anna Noyd-Dryver)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2022 09:43:55 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:sPnm6bDm9lSO3dIVE2xC+lumxwo=
 by: Anna Noyd-Dryver - Mon, 22 Aug 2022 09:43 UTC

Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
> In message <tduqot$2iou9$1@dont-email.me>, at 02:47:57 on Mon, 22 Aug
> 2022, Anna Noyd-Dryver <anna@noyd-dryver.com> remarked:
>> Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
>>> In message <tdtqne$2d4cc$3@dont-email.me>, at 17:41:02 on Sun, 21 Aug
>>> 2022, Anna Noyd-Dryver <anna@noyd-dryver.com> remarked:

>>> Apparently their "competitive" service isn't even every hour or every
>>> day, but just once a week. It's being vastly over-sold.

>>> Crikey, 110mph vs 125mph makes that much difference?
>>>

>> Mostly down to the stopping pattern, and the route via Birmingham and
>> Crewe, I'd guess.
>>
>> Friday's train arrived 17 minutes late
>> <https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:U66444/2022-08-19/detail
>> ed#allox_id=0>
>
> Must have got stuck behind something, it was 34 late approaching
> Wolverhampton (where it recovered slightly, because it has a ten minute
> booked stop).

Judging by the lack of reports between Soho and Wolverhampton, I suspect it
was diverted via Bescot.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Re: Heritage Rail firm to compete with Avanti.

<te0d5c$2n5pi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=37680&group=uk.railway#37680

From: mai...@michaelhumphrey.me.uk (Mike Humphrey)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2022 17:07:56 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mike Humphrey - Mon, 22 Aug 2022 17:07 UTC

On Mon, 22 Aug 2022 02:47:57 +0000, Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
> Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
>> Crikey, 110mph vs 125mph makes that much difference?
> Mostly down to the stopping pattern, and the route via Birmingham and
> Crewe, I'd guess.

If they're running via Birmingham, that adds a lot to the journey time.
The Avanti service from Edinburgh to London runs via Birmingham. If
you're travelling to London on it, the conductor advises that you get out
at Crewe and wait for the following train, which gets you to London
earlier, despite the 20-30 minute wait at Crewe.

How does the timing compare to the London North Western service?

Mike